• 1 Post By mevansmusic
  • 1 Post By mevansmusic

post #1 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 87
RSL CG23 vs Chane

What do you think about using the RSL CG23s as a RCL in a large open living room. The area opens up to the second floor so its more of a large open area, more than a room. I would estimate around 7000 cu. ft. We sit about 12 feet away. Upgrading from Elac B5/C5 as they are a bit too big for what we trying to do and I wouldn't mind getting a center with more clear dialog. There are some waf limitations as this is a living room set up/ multiuse space.

Is lobing an issue with the MTM design? I want people in the different seats of the living room to be able to hear dialog. Bass response will be handled by a SVS SB-3000. I know a larger ported subwoofer would be better for the cost but having the smallest subwoofer possible was done for WAF. The CG23 is apealing to me for its small width (when standing up straight) since they are going to be placed on a TV stand. Cant go bigger than 7.4 inches wide per speaker for L and R in order to fit them on either side of the TV on the stands we are looking at. I also really like the piano gloss finish. Do these fill up a room?

The free in home trial is really appealing.

I am also considering the using Chane for my front stage. I hve heard really good things about them. Also considering Kef Q150 (worried about audible distortion at high volumes for the large space), NHT C1 and the Aperion Intimus B5.

TV: TCL 6 Series 75"
Speakers: Hsu Research HB-1 and HC-1
Sub: SVS SB-3000
AVR: Yamaha HTR-4065
Previously Owned Equipment: Elac B5 and C5, SVS PB10-NSD

Last edited by mevansmusic; 06-02-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
RSL CG23 features two 4" woofers and a 1" tweeter. Unless there are size dimension restraints, and I can't imagine there would be in a room of 7000 cubic feet, I would definitely opt for LCR speakers with bigger woofers. But that's my usual answer for these questions.

A center speaker with 4" woofers is underwhelming, IMO. I wouldn't hold out much hope for clear dialog.

Also the frequency response of these speakers is 85 - 20K Hz, and 85 Hz is at the 3db roll off number. That's kind of a weak bass response. Yes, I suppose you will have a subwoofer, but an 85 Hz bass cutoff? Really?

I'd opt for the Chane A2.4's. Too bad they are out of stock, last time I checked (last week).
mevansmusic and JP32 like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Chane A2.4 FTW

Or if you can wait check out their new Horn loaded MTM. It should launch any week now hopefully.

https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...ane-700-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9596 Post(s)
Liked: 7422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mevansmusic View Post
What do you think about using the RSL CG23s as a RCL in a large open living room. The area opens up to the second floor so its more of a large open area, more than a room. I would estimate around 7000 cu. ft. We sit about 12 feet away. Upgrading from Elac B5/C5 as they are a bit too big for what we trying to do and I wouldn't mind getting a center with more clear dialog.

Is lobing an issue with the MTM design? I want people in the different seats of the living room to be able to hear dialog. Bass response will be handled by a SVS SB-3000. The CG23 is apealing to me for its small width (when standing up straight) since they are going to be placed on a TV stand. Cant go bigger than 7.4 inches wide per speaker for L and R. I also really like the piano gloss finish. Do these fill up a room?

The free in home trial is really appealing.

I am also considering the using Chane for my front stage. I hve heard really good things about them. Also considering Kef Q150 (worried about audible distortion at high volumes for the large space), NHT C1 and the Aperion Intimus B5.
A2.4 vs CG25 would be more of a fair fight since both have 5.25" woofers; however pair of the CG25 runs $850, vs $600 for a pair of A2.4

The CG23 has 4" woofers and would be easily crushed by the A2.4

When vertically placed, the CG23 is 6" wide --- but the A2.4 is only 1" wider...so if the price difference doesn't matter to you (a pair of CG23 is $200 less than a pair of A2.4 shipped) then there's no reason to get the CG23.

In a 7000 cubic feet space, I would not do a sealed sub like the SB3000. For the $1K that one SB3000 costs, you could get a pair of Monolith 10" THX ported subs that would eat it for lunch.
sigpig likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
A2.4 vs CG25 would be more of a fair fight since both have 5.25" woofers; however pair of the CG25 runs $850, vs $600 for a pair of A2.4

The CG23 has 4" woofers and would be easily crushed by the A2.4

When vertically placed, the CG23 is 6" wide --- but the A2.4 is only 1" wider...so if the price difference doesn't matter to you (a pair of CG23 is $200 less than a pair of A2.4 shipped) then there's no reason to get the CG23.

In a 7000 cubic feet space, I would not do a sealed sub like the SB3000. For the $1K that one SB3000 costs, you could get a pair of Monolith 10" THX ported subs that would eat it for lunch.
Unfortuantly it seems like the CG25 is too wide. I will look at doing 3 A2.4s or 2 1.4s and a 2.4. I went with a sealed sub due to waf constraints.

I have considered the Hsu ULS-15 Mk2 as an alternative. We are going to see how bad the SB-3000 sounds inside the cabinet of the BDI Octave entertainment center we are going with. If it sounds as trash as I suspect it will, I can go with something a little bigger, but still trying to stay away from ported. The SB-3000 replaced a PB10-NSD from SVS. I can not return the SB-3000 as I bought it used but I could resell it without much of a loss so I am definitely open to other subwoofers with a compact size.

Thank you as always for the recommendations and help.
Zorba922 likes this.

post #6 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
Chane A2.4 FTW

Or if you can wait check out their new Horn loaded MTM. It should launch any week now hopefully.

https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...ane-700-series
Very interesting. I am not planning on pulling the trigger for a few months so that might work well.
rhelliott2 likes this.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Unfortuantly it seems like the CG25 is too wide. I will look at doing 3 A2.4s or 2 1.4s and a 2.4. I went with a sealed sub due to waf constraints.

I have considered the Hsu ULS-15 Mk2 as an alternative. We are going to see how bad the SB-3000 sounds inside the cabinet of the BDI Octave entertainment center we are going with. If it sounds as trash as I suspect it will, I can go with something a little bigger, but still trying to stay away from ported.

Thank you as always for the recommendations and help.
I'd aim for 3 x A2.4 if you can...same footprint, but the extra woofer will give you a much bigger sound.

A small sealed sub really needs corner placement to maximize its output. I would simply get a 25' subwoofer cable and hide it in a corner closer to where you sit. The ULS15 also comes in a Rosewood veneer, if that would help your wife situation any.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
RSL CG23 features two 4" woofers and a 1" tweeter. Unless there are size dimension restraints, and I can't imagine there would be in a room of 7000 cubic feet, I would definitely opt for LCR speakers with bigger woofers. But that's my usual answer for these questions.

A center speaker with 4" woofers is underwhelming, IMO. I wouldn't hold out much hope for clear dialog.

Also the frequency response of these speakers is 85 - 20K Hz, and 85 Hz is at the 3db roll off number. That's kind of a weak bass response. Yes, I suppose you will have a subwoofer, but an 85 Hz bass cutoff? Really?

I'd opt for the Chane A2.4's. Too bad they are out of stock, last time I checked (last week).
This is a very helpful look at the RSL speakers. There are room/size constraints unfortunately. While the overall volume of the area is huge, the actual media portion of the area is around 18x13. The back opens up to the dining room, but most of the volume is due to the fact that the room opens up to the second floor. The ceilings are huge and vaulted. Being a mixed use space my SO is looking to take as much gear out of the room as possible so that we can having a pinterest worth living room. Essentially this is a high waf, soundbar alternative (which she really wants).

The size constraints come from us wanting to have the L and R sitting on the TV stand. The TV we have is a 75 inch and the biggest AV focused TV stands I can find are around 81-82 inches. I am looking at the BDI Octave right now. That gives me 7.5 inches on each side of the TV to place the L and R.

I will probably end up with the chane based on what people are saying. That being said I will probably demo the RSL speakers just because their in home trial is so attractive. Ill probably just demo the Chane center on its own as you have to pay return shipping if I dont like it.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd aim for 3 x A2.4 if you can...same footprint, but the extra woofer will give you a much bigger sound.

A small sealed sub really needs corner placement to maximize its output. I would simply get a 25' subwoofer cable and hide it in a corner closer to where you sit. The ULS15 also comes in a Rosewood veneer, if that would help your wife situation any.
She is actually open to corner placement as we can hide it a bit. I just ordered a longer subwoofer cable the other day so that I can play more with placement more. I might end up with the ULS15 depending on how things go. I paid less than the ULS for the SB-3000 so it didn't sting too bad. With shipping the ULS-15 is about $840 and I paid $700 for the SB-3000 (came with isolation feet and piano gloss finish). I don't think I would take much of a loss selling the Sb-3000 so I will definitely keep looking at the ULS-15. I do wish I could have a big sub as I have always wanted to try the Hsu VTF-15.

I know I have been asking a lot questions about this set up and I appreciate you guys being patient with all our difficult needs. I hope that in our next home I can have a dedicated media space where I can make all the best choices when it comes to audio. For now I am simply hoping to find an improvement from my Elac Debut/SVS PB10-NSD, while keeping the SO happy with how the room looks. I know I'm breaking a ton of rules here
JP32 likes this.

post #10 of 15 Old 06-02-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
For now I am simply hoping to find an improvement from my Elac Debut/SVS PB10-NSD, while keeping the SO happy with how the room looks.
I think the Chanes will easily whomp those ELACs, especially the ELAC center.

And possibly in the aesthetic department, as well.

Be sure to post an update when you get everything in! Pics are always appreciated.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Looking forward to this new Chane speaker. Not sure how I feel about a horn loaded tweeter. I will likely demo a center from chane, RSL, Kef, and Aperion. Any other speakers I should audition? NHT C1?
post #12 of 15 Old 06-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Rsl cg23

I have a set of RSL CG23s (as part of a 2.1 system) in a room that is about 26 x 13.5 the front half is a living room where I watch movies and listen to music. The CG23s hold their own in that part of the room and I enjoy their sound quality. They have a good sound stage and completely "disappear". Since COVID hit I have been working in the dining room and using them for background music which is fine but I would say you notice their lack of size at louder volumes although they still sound good. at this point, I am about 18-20 feet from the speakers with furniture between them and I. I have never heard any Chane speakers so I can't compare. I will say that RSL is an amazing company to work with and they will let you return with no hassles.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to this new Chane speaker. Not sure how I feel about a horn loaded tweeter. I will likely demo a center from chane, RSL, Kef, and Aperion. Any other speakers I should audition?
JBL Studio 530 currently on sale, $300/pr with free returns.

Their big brother 590 towers are $920/pr, regularly $2K/pr and also free returns.

The real price-to-performance champ IMO are the Emotiva speakers, but no free returns there.

post #14 of 15 Old 06-03-2020, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
JBL Studio 530 currently on sale, $300/pr with free returns.

Their big brother 590 towers are $920/pr, regularly $2K/pr and also free returns.

The real price-to-performance champ IMO are the Emotiva speakers, but no free returns there.
I like Emotiva but I heard that they are hard to drive? My AVR is entry level so it doesn't have crazy wattage.

Those JBL towers are monsters lol.

Given that dialog clarity is my top priority, I am right in thinking that horn loaded tweeters have an advantage in dialog clarity? JBLs would be apealling in that regard.

I really wish I had done some in home trials 3 years ago before I bought my Elacs lol.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-03-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I like Emotiva but I heard that they are hard to drive? My AVR is entry level so it doesn't have crazy wattage.

Those JBL towers are monsters lol.

Given that dialog clarity is my top priority, I am right in thinking that horn loaded tweeters have an advantage in dialog clarity? JBLs would be apealling in that regard.

I really wish I had done some in home trials 3 years ago before I bought my Elacs lol.
Horns might have an advantage over some poor quality dome tweeters, yes.

If you listen in the typical 60-75db volume range, you'll be fine with the Emotivas.
Here's one user who reports zero problems even at 80db on an entry-level receiver:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59743136

I drove the B1s/C1 I used to own with a +15 year old $200 Panasonic receiver, also zero problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page