Surround speaker in wall location - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmanko

post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Surround speaker in wall location

Narrow room, 11.5’ x23’ deep. Going 7.2.4 setup (with a pair of surround for each of 2 rows). The inwall surround sound great about a foot behind the chair and tweeter with line of site to each person (about 54”). This is about 110 degrees. With having rear surround should I put them more in line at 90 degrees? Seems like it might need to be higher to get tweeter line of site to each person, thus defeating purpose of atmos speakers. Also concerned the speaker could end up a bit in front of listening position as well.

Also, is ideal height just high enough for tweeter to have line of sight, or should I go at 4’ since ceiling is 8’ to keep separation from floor level and atmos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Side Surrounds at 110* to the MLP = perfect. The second row will also benefit from that placement too.

Rear Surrounds should be in line with your front R/L speakers.
Your 4' high placement is perfect for Atmos too.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

The second row will have a second pair of side surrounds dedicated to that row as well (aka each row has side surrounds) in addition to rear surround.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanko View Post
The second row will have a second pair of side surrounds dedicated to that row as well (aka each row has side surrounds) in addition to rear surround.

So you actually want a 9.1.4 setup. It is generally not recommended to daisy-chain speakers on the same amp channel. This can cause some pretty bad impedance issues that MAY cause issues with your AVR. 13-channel AVR/AVPs are VERY expensive...
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
So you actually want a 9.1.4 setup. It is generally not recommended to daisy-chain speakers on the same amp channel. This can cause some pretty bad impedance issues that MAY cause issues with your AVR. 13-channel AVR/AVPs are VERY expensive...

Am aware, and have a second amp that will run just the side surround (main AVR processes 11 has 9 powered channels). So question still stands, side surround a foot behind row or 90?

post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2020, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
With your narrow room you want them a foot behind. if you place them directly to the side you will get that speaker in the ear effect and they will call attention to themselves for listeners on side seats. That can be very distracting. Unless you only have one seat per row then 90 degrees will work Otherwise 110 degrees will be a better option for this situation. Although, you are probably aware the second set of surrounds should have the ability to adjust level and delay as well. Usually a mini-DSP between the receiver and amp can do it.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2020, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
With your narrow room you want them a foot behind. if you place them directly to the side you will get that speaker in the ear effect and they will call attention to themselves for listeners on side seats. That can be very distracting. Unless you only have one seat per row then 90 degrees will work Otherwise 110 degrees will be a better option for this situation. Although, you are probably aware the second set of surrounds should have the ability to adjust level and delay as well. Usually a mini-DSP between the receiver and amp can do it.

Yes agreed, already have DSP ready. As ceiling is only 8’ tall running into issues with floor to ceiling separation. Speaker sounds great at 110 degrees, but to keep tweeter at line of sight for all seats is around 52” (seats are 46” high back on the theater chairs). When I drop them down lose the sound for all 3 front seats. And at 90 definitely speaker in ear, but aldo problems if only middle seat of 3 declined.

I guess I’ll settle for the 110 degrees (about a foot up and back from ear) and lose a bit of floor to ceiling separation.

RayGuy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page