• 1 Post By RayGuy

post #1 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bookshelf in small room

Hello all

I am currently shopping for some new Bookshelf speakers and am wondering if you can give me some advie /insights.

Room
The speaker will be placed in a small room. The room is 8.2f / 2.55m x 13.5f / 4.10m.
Speaker will be placed at the long wall, so the licenging distance to the speaker ist approx 6.3f / 1.9m
The speakers have to be placed realtivey close to the wall (around 6 inch depeing on the speaker depht)

Current setup
currently i have JBL lsr 305. As i do want to change to passives, i grabed a Marantz NR1509 in a sale.

What i am looking at
Basically the LSR 305 have been great speakers. I like the tight bass resoonse and the detailed hights.
What i do not like is that the LSR are a bit too analaytical and sharp to my ears. in fact i am getting some fatigue relative quickly while listening to them.
Basically i am looking for a speaker that is less forward/bright and more smooth and warm while still keeping the thight and fast bass response at the small wall distance.

Unfortunatley i am not able to demo speakers in my room and send them back in my country.

I was looking at the KEF Q150 as they are supposed to be more laid back and warm sounding, but still give a descent amount of details. However i am afraid that they may get a bit boomy/bloated in my room and that close tho the back wall(maybe can fix this with the sponges).
Another contender would be the Elac DBR.62, front ported, but i fear they might be a bit overpowered for my room and listening distance and have too much much base. The Debut 6.2 are almost same price where i live, so they are ruled out.
I also consider Focal 905, but i fear they are to bright for for my taste.
The PSB alpha p5 might be a good fit? However they are also a bit expensive in my country at about 500 dollars..
The Triangle BR02 should be soft, but also might be to bright for my taste.

Looking for some insight from people coming form the LSR or having similar room restrainsts.
PS Sorry for my bad english
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9655 Post(s)
Liked: 7469
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0lari View Post
Basically the LSR 305 have been great speakers. I like the tight bass resoonse and the detailed hights.
What i do not like is that the LSR are a bit too analaytical and sharp to my ears. in fact i am getting some fatigue relative quickly while listening to them.
Basically i am looking for a speaker that is less forward/bright and more smooth and warm while still keeping the thight and fast bass response at the small wall distance.

Unfortunatley i am not able to demo speakers in my room and send them back in my country.
Try to find Wharfedale Diamonds in your country. WDs are famous for being smooth and warm, but still giving you plenty of midrange detail.

The 11.2 or 225, in particular. Both are down-ported, so they will need less rear clearance than a rear-ported speaker.

PSB might work too, but Wharfedale would be my first pick.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Chane A1.5 or A2.4 would be my recommendation...however, since you are in another country (where?), it may be moot. Dynaudio might meet your needs for clean bass, but you'll have to dig a ways into your pocket for a pair of those. Perhaps a pair of Dali Spektor 2, should give you good performance at a more budget price. Demo them, if you get the chance.
bobola likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-04-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice so far.

I considered the Wharfs, they are available at good price here. Maybe i try to listen to them i store.
I am located in switzerland, chanes are not available here unfortunately.
Dynaudio has the emit m10 / m20 that would fit in my budget (up to 700$). Heard these are a little bright on some reviews?

BTW: i possess DT990Pro and Sennheiser HD650 and the 650s have the sound signature i am looking for in a speaker
post #5 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If Senns are your cup of tea, then look at speakers with ribbons or quasi-ribbons, like the Wharfedale EVO 4.1, Neat Iota, Elac Carina (out of budget), Quad S1/S2, or something from Martin Logan. These should at least give you the airy sound characteristic you are used to getting from your headphones. That said, you won't perfectly capture the full sound signature of those headphones in any speaker, at least not at his price point. You will have to compromise somewhere. Listening to as many options as you can will allow you to decide where to compromise and how much you are willing to spend on that compromise.

If you have a fairly large space, and the ability to put speakers out into the room, look at the new LRS from Magnepan. You'll have to augment with a sealed sub, but it will be the closest thing to the headphone experience you can possibly get, at anywhere near the price.
doctors11 likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-04-2020 at 03:25 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I considered the Wharfs, they are available at good price here. Maybe i try to listen to them i store.

BTW: i possess DT990Pro and Sennheiser HD650 and the 650s have the sound signature i am looking for in a speaker
HINT: Sennheiser HD650 would be much closer to the Wharfedale sound signature than DT990P.

https://www.amazon.de/Wharfedale-Dia...dp/B076JGR1T1/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Space is very small unfortunately, otherwise those LSR would be intresting
The WD Evo4.1 might be exactly what i am looking for. But i read numerous times that they need some volume for the tweeter to open up and that the sound is more dull otherwise. In my small room i will be listening to relatively low volumes most of the time.
Maybe the damond 11.1 are better in that regard?
Might also give the Dalis a shot, but heard the are more bright than warm.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Q Acoustics 3020i sound ideal for your scenario. I'd also consider one of their subs...a nice fit for your space.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Q Acoustics 3020i sound ideal for your scenario. I'd also consider one of their subs...a nice fit for your space.
The 3070 is the better sub of the three smaller options.

post #10 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Space is very small unfortunately, otherwise those LSR would be intresting
The WD Evo4.1 might be exactly what i am looking for. But i read numerous times that they need some volume for the tweeter to open up and that the sound is more dull otherwise. In my small room i will be listening to relatively low volumes most of the time.
Maybe the damond 11.1 are better in that regard?
Might also give the Dalis a shot, but heard the are more bright than warm.
If you plan on not having a sub, I'd pick a speaker with a 6.5" woofer --- Diamond 11.2 or 225, or (if you can find them) Q Acoustics 3030i.

Everybody has different definitions of what "low volumes" and "dull sound" means to THEM. People who like "bright" speakers might call a "warm" speaker "dull" or "veiled," while people who like "warm" speakers might call a "bright" speaker "shrill" or "harsh."

So really, the safest thing you can do is simply find a dealer who will give you an easy return option in case you aren't happy with the Evo 4.1 if that is your first choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page