auto switch on subwoofers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
auto switch on subwoofers?

I have read that the auto setting on a Sony SA-CS 9 sub-woofer can be a problem in that it cuts off and on with a fairly loud clicking noise. I also understand that the problem might be corrected by turning this feature off but then the power would have to be turned off and on manually before and after each use. Is this a problem with all Subs that have an auto setting or just with this particular model? I really want to like the Sony because it matches my other core equipment and might be all I need in a 13' x 17' room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjs6 View Post
I have read that the auto setting on a Sony SA-CS 9 sub-woofer can be a problem in that it cuts off and on with a fairly loud clicking noise. I also understand that the problem might be corrected by turning this feature off but then the power would have to be turned off and on manually before and after each use. Is this a problem with all Subs that have an auto setting or just with this particular model? I really want to like the Sony because it matches my other core equipment and might be all I need in a 13' x 17' room.
That Sony sub looks like an updated version of the Sony SA-W2500 which I owned and just sold. I tried the AUTO setting for a while but if there isn't a sufficient amount of bass present in whatever your are listening to, it will shut off, and you hear the 'click' of the relay. I solved the problem by leaving the sub turned on all the time.

I presume the constant switching on and off in AUTO mode would be problem with all subs, but whether or not you can hear it switching off/on is another matter.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
That Sony sub looks like an updated version of the Sony SA-W2500 which I owned and just sold. I tried the AUTO setting for a while but if there isn't a sufficient amount of bass present in whatever your are listening to, it will shut off, and you hear the 'click' of the relay. I solved the problem by leaving the sub turned on all the time.

I presume the constant switching on and off in AUTO mode would be problem with all subs, but whether or not you can hear it switching off/on is another matter.

Thanks for your reply. If you leave the sub on all the time will it get too hot? How did it work for you after you stopped using the AUTO setting? Think it would be good in a smaller room and used mostly for movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. If you leave the sub on all the time will it get too hot? How did it work for you after you stopped using the AUTO setting? Think it would be good in a smaller room and used mostly for movies?
It won't get hot because when it's idling it's barely drawing any current from the wall outlet. Once I stopped using the Auto setting I forgot all about there being a clicking problem with the sub. There were no problems.

Think of it this way--how much electrical current is a garage door opener drawing when the motor is not engaged lifting the garage door? Almost nothing--just enough to keep the radio receiver "listening" for a signal from the handheld opener and keep a couple of LED lights lit up.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
It's something that I feel is common with the Auto On feature.

The Elac sub I had made a unsettling "pop" sound whenever it went into standby mode that truly sounded like it was going to damage the driver over time. I just leave the switch to the full On position because 9.9/10 it consumes the same amount of power whether it's on or just in standby. Also, I found that the sub will stop outputting any sort of signal even part-way through a song, and not start up again until I flipped the switch on then back to auto.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 Front L/R | KEF Q650c Centre | KEF Q150 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #6 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 382
For ME, I prefer to set the sub power to ON. With the subs powered on during a movie. There should be less of a delay when the LFE audio signal is sent to the subwoofers. You should experience the full LFE signal event. With auto there may potentially be a delay with the subwoofers responding to the LFE signal. As subs would need to turn on (wake from sleep mode.)

You may find this helpful.

I don’t prefer to leave the subs on all the time 24/7. I use these RF controlled plug in outlets to remotely turn the subs on before enjoying a movie or concert and off when I am done enjoying a movie or concert.

I use a RF controlled plug in outlet. Plug each sub into a RF controlled outlet then plug the outlet into a wall outlet. Now when I am done enjoying a movie or concert. I turn the subs on/off with the RF controlled outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Remo...dp_ob_title_hi

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #7 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
It's something that I feel is common with the Auto On feature.

The Elac sub I had made a unsettling "pop" sound whenever it went into standby mode that truly sounded like it was going to damage the driver over time. I just leave the switch to the full On position because 9.9/10 it consumes the same amount of power whether it's on or just in standby. Also, I found that the sub will stop outputting any sort of signal even part-way through a song, and not start up again until I flipped the switch on then back to auto.

Thanks so much.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
It won't get hot because when it's idling it's barely drawing any current from the wall outlet. Once I stopped using the Auto setting I forgot all about there being a clicking problem with the sub. There were no problems.

Think of it this way--how much electrical current is a garage door opener drawing when the motor is not engaged lifting the garage door? Almost nothing--just enough to keep the radio receiver "listening" for a signal from the handheld opener and keep a couple of LED lights lit up.

Thanks again.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
For ME, I prefer to set the sub power to ON. With the subs powered on during a movie. There should be less of a delay when the LFE audio signal is sent to the subwoofers. You should experience the full LFE signal event. With auto there may potentially be a delay with the subwoofers responding to the LFE signal. As subs would need to turn on (wake from sleep mode.)

You may find this helpful.

I don’t prefer to leave the subs on all the time 24/7. I use these RF controlled plug in outlets to remotely turn the subs on before enjoying a movie or concert and off when I am done enjoying a movie or concert.

I use a RF controlled plug in outlet. Plug each sub into a RF controlled outlet then plug the outlet into a wall outlet. Now when I am done enjoying a movie or concert. I turn the subs on/off with the RF controlled outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Remo...dp_ob_title_hi

Thanks for the reply. I had thought about something like this so I can turn it off when not in use.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9522 Post(s)
Liked: 7339
Quote:
My subs have an auto-on function that works fine, but when I noticed that the back of the subs still get a little warm to the touch while in "standby" mode, I decided to buy a pair of these...can't beat the price!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just turn it off whenever I know I won't be using the subs again for at least a day or longer, other than just low level NPR or something like that.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 11 Old 06-06-2020, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
My subs have an auto-on function that works fine, but when I noticed that the back of the subs still get a little warm to the touch while in "standby" mode, I decided to buy a pair of these...can't beat the price!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just turn it off whenever I know I won't be using the subs again for at least a day or longer, other than just low level NPR or something like that.

Great idea. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page