Help Deciding on 5.1.4 speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help Deciding on 5.1.4 speakers?

I'm going to be upgrading from a sound bar in the next couple of months and am wondering what speakers to get for a Dolby Atmos set up. I know an up-firing speaker setup isn't ideal but I don't want to drill into the ceiling (and I want the Atmos experience). I am currently looking at the Elac debut set with 2 pairs of the Atmos speaker add ons, or the Monoprice Monolith 5.1 set up with 2 mini towers and a pair of bookshelf's With the 12" sealed sub. im allotting $500-$600 for a receiver. which of these speaker options is better or are there other options with Atmos enabled speakers that I should look at for around the same price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked: 7418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjordan7 View Post
I'm going to be upgrading from a sound bar in the next couple of months and am wondering what speakers to get for a Dolby Atmos set up. I know an up-firing speaker setup isn't ideal but I don't want to drill into the ceiling (and I want the Atmos experience). I am currently looking at the Elac debut set with 2 pairs of the Atmos speaker add ons, or the Monoprice Monolith 5.1 set up with 2 mini towers and a pair of bookshelf's With the 12" sealed sub. im allotting $500-$600 for a receiver. which of these speaker options is better or are there other options with Atmos enabled speakers that I should look at for around the same price?
1. Maximum total budget? (and current equipment, if any)
2. Room dimensions (listening space AND any adjacent spaces that it opens up to)
3. Anticipated usage (% music vs % HT/TV/gaming)
4. Loudness preferences: moderate? loud? wall-shaking loud?
5. Bass preferences: fill-in bass for music? Fully HEARD bass, or fully FELT, wall-shaking bass during movies?
6. Any WAF (Wife Approval Factor), i.e. aesthetic requirements?
7. Any safety concerns (small kids or large dogs)?
8. Viewing content: blockbuster action movies? Dramas/comedies/documentaries/sports?
9. Music content: jazz/classical/vocals? Rock? Rap/house/techno/EDM?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Classic newbie mistakes:

1. Overspending on the receiver, falling for the "latest and greatest" over-hyped sales gimmicks/gadgets/formats of the month, esp. the "future proofing" fairy tale.
2. Overspending on towers you don't need when bookshelves on stands will be as good or better and allow you to get better sub(s) and center speaker.
3. Underspending on the subwoofer(s). (Disregard if you never/seldom watch big-budget action movies.)
4. Being unaware that the CENTER SPEAKER actually does 70-80% of the HT output and 99% of the dialogue, that "matching" horizontal centers are sometimes craptastic (related to #2 ), and that the only way to get a true "timbre match" (whose actual real-world relevance is debatable) is to use an identical speaker to your L/R in vertical alignment.
5. Buying more speakers than you need for your room, resulting in quantity over quality.
6. Insisting on buying only well-known big brands at big box stores, instead of exploring other options (a.k.a. "the Jack Daniels whiskey mistake") you've never heard of before.
7. Trusting predatory and/or incompetent salespeople (BB Magnolia & some boutique shops), online shill reviewers, copy-and-paste clickbait review sites, etc.
Airjordan7 and ckoons1 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
1. Maximum total budget? (and current equipment, if any)
2. Room dimensions (listening space AND any adjacent spaces that it opens up to)
3. Anticipated usage (% music vs % HT/TV/gaming)
4. Loudness preferences: moderate? loud? wall-shaking loud?
5. Bass preferences: fill-in bass for music? Fully HEARD bass, or fully FELT, wall-shaking bass during movies?
6. Any WAF (Wife Approval Factor), i.e. aesthetic requirements?
7. Any safety concerns (small kids or large dogs)?
8. Viewing content: blockbuster action movies? Dramas/comedies/documentaries/sports?
9. Music content: jazz/classical/vocals? Rock? Rap/house/techno/EDM?
1. around $3k-$3200 with receiver, with my receiver I want to have the ability to upgrade to 7.2.4 in the future.
2.7' ceilings, room is 15'x20'. I will be placing the rear right channel at about 15'
3.I will almost exclusively be using it for HT,TV/Sports, and Gaming
4.I like it loud but other people in my house may force me to turn it down to moderate from time to time.
5.i like wall shaking/ full bass, really like to feel the bass.
6.No
7.Just a small/medium dog (Corgi Mix)
8.Mostly watch action movies/tv and sports with an ocassional dram, comedy/stand up, and Doc.
9. Mostly listen to Hiphop/Rap

I like a more balanced, clear sound when listening to music, I love listening to stuff on my Audiotechnica ATH-M50x
post #5 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
1. around $3k-$3200 with receiver, with my receiver I want to have the ability to upgrade to 7.2.4 in the future.
2.7' ceilings, room is 15'x20'. I will be placing the rear right channel at about 15'
4.I like it loud but other people in my house may force me to turn it down to moderate from time to time.
6.No
8.Mostly watch action movies/tv and sports with an ocassional dram, comedy/stand up, and Doc.

I like a more balanced, clear sound when listening to music, I love listening to stuff on my Audiotechnica ATH-M50x
A 12" sealed sub is not a good choice in your room space, particularly since you like bass. Minimally, I would go with the HSU VTF-3. A step up for even more bass would be Power Sound Audio V1512DF or V1512. Decide on your sub first as that will determine how much you have left on your budget. And you will be impressed at what those subs can do in total output and sound quality.

Denon X1600H is a solid choice for a receiver. To do better than that, you need to step up to the X3600H (better Audyssey and better for dual subs). But if you want the most out of your subs once you get a 2nd, you could get a MiniDSP HD and UMIK-1 and use it to EQ dual subs with the X1600H.
post #6 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin65 View Post
A 12" sealed sub is not a good choice in your room space, particularly since you like bass. Minimally, I would go with the HSU VTF-3. A step up for even more bass would be Power Sound Audio V1512DF or V1512. Decide on your sub first as that will determine how much you have left on your budget. And you will be impressed at what those subs can do in total output and sound quality.

Denon X1600H is a solid choice for a receiver. To do better than that, you need to step up to the X3600H (better Audyssey and better for dual subs). But if you want the most out of your subs once you get a 2nd, you could get a MiniDSP HD and UMIK-1 and use it to EQ dual subs with the X1600H.
ok I'll keep that in mind. As far as choosing speakers goes between the monoliths and the Elac debut 2.0 what are your takes on them. Also one of my friends was saying that I should look at the Polk signature but they look like they're a step down from these options mentioned above. Also there is no option for elevation speakers with the Polk's and id have to get a different make for those channels if that would be a good path to go down.
post #7 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
ok I'll keep that in mind. As far as choosing speakers goes between the monoliths and the Elac debut 2.0 what are your takes on them. Also one of my friends was saying that I should look at the Polk signature but they look like they're a step down from these options mentioned above. Also there is no option for elevation speakers with the Polk's and id have to get a different make for those channels if that would be a good path to go down.
I'm not sure which is better of the Polk Signature or Elac Debut, although both have a reputation of being very good for the price.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
6.No

Is that 15 x 20' room completely enclosed? Or does it open up to adjacent rooms?

post #9 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

6.No

Check out JBL studio 590 towers for your LCR and studio 530 for your surrounds.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
raistlin65 and Airjordan7 like this.

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
post #10 of 31 Old 06-06-2020, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is that 15 x 20' room completely enclosed? Or does it open up to adjacent rooms?
it opens up. there is a hall way on. one side of where I would. set up speakers and on the other side it opens up to a se too stairs. im planning on having the front left and right channels 10ft apart with the rear Channels 10-12 ft apart from them. I am leaning towards the Elac Debut 2.0 as of rn with 2 sets of height speakers which with the Sub and receiver would bring me to around $2500.I am still open to reconmendations as I likely won't pul the trigger till the end of summer/beginning of Fall. I also may wait for an receiver to come out the supports cdmi 2.1 as im planning on picking up a ps5 that will support hdmi 2.1 to go along with my LG OLED.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-07-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
it opens up. there is a hall way on. one side of where I would. set up speakers and on the other side it opens up to a se too stairs. im planning on having the front left and right channels 10ft apart with the rear Channels 10-12 ft apart from them. I am leaning towards the Elac Debut 2.0 as of rn with 2 sets of height speakers which with the Sub and receiver would bring me to around $2500.I am still open to reconmendations as I likely won't pul the trigger till the end of summer/beginning of Fall. I also may wait for an receiver to come out the supports cdmi 2.1 as im planning on picking up a ps5 that will support hdmi 2.1 to go along with my LG OLED.
Any sub(s) would interact with ALL contiguous space, so you have to include the stairs and whatever upstairs space it connects to, plus the hallway on the side of your room. I would recommend a PAIR of $600 ported subs in this case, like the Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV-12F.

I would limit yourself to 5 bed layer speakers instead of 7...95% of video content is still in native 5 channels anyhow, and going from a 9 channel receiver to 11 channels adds hundreds and hundreds of dollars to your receiver budget giving you relatively trivial benefit compared to a second sub.

Since you're not going to buy until end of summer/fall, I would keep an eye out for any good sales from Infinity---their R152, R162, and R263 speakers in particular. These come down to 1/3 of regular retail prices, and you get free return shipping. Best bang for your buck all around, and better performers than those ELACs.

Given your fondness for loud listening levels, I'd keep the Ascend 170SE and 340SE at the top of your list in case another Infinity sale doesn't happen. These have 6.5" woofers with 90-92db sensitivity and are nice and clear, great detail and dynamics, well suited for your application.

post #12 of 31 Old 06-07-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
I would do the Monoprice Monolith Atmos speaker setup with a pair of HSU VTF2Mk5, Rhythmik LV-12F or Monolith 12" ported subs at the very least.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-07-2020, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Any sub(s) would interact with ALL contiguous space, so you have to include the stairs and whatever upstairs space it connects to, plus the hallway on the side of your room. I would recommend a PAIR of $600 ported subs in this case, like the Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV-12F.

I would limit yourself to 5 bed layer speakers instead of 7...95% of video content is still in native 5 channels anyhow, and going from a 9 channel receiver to 11 channels adds hundreds and hundreds of dollars to your receiver budget giving you relatively trivial benefit compared to a second sub.

Since you're not going to buy until end of summer/fall, I would keep an eye out for any good sales from Infinity---their R152, R162, and R263 speakers in particular. These come down to 1/3 of regular retail prices, and you get free return shipping. Best bang for your buck all around, and better performers than those ELACs.

Given your fondness for loud listening levels, I'd keep the Ascend 170SE and 340SE at the top of your list in case another Infinity sale doesn't happen. These have 6.5" woofers with 90-92db sensitivity and are nice and clear, great detail and dynamics, well suited for your application.
Thanks I’ll keep on the look out. As far as up-firing speakers for Atmos? It’s part of my new set up I want to incorporate at some point. If I go with the Infinity’s they don’t have any I would be able to timbre match. So what would your recommendation be?
post #14 of 31 Old 06-07-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks I’ll keep on the look out. As far as up-firing speakers for Atmos? It’s part of my new set up I want to incorporate at some point. If I go with the Infinity’s they don’t have any I would be able to timbre match. So what would your recommendation be?
Upfirings don't need to match, but if you really care about matching them then I'd look at Klipsch RP series. A front stage of RP-600M with RP-600C with a good pair of subs will do very well, and you can pick and choose among the RP series for your surrounds and upfiring modules.
sigpig likes this.

post #15 of 31 Old 06-07-2020, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Upfirings don't need to match, but if you really care about matching them then I'd look at Klipsch RP series. A front stage of RP-600M with RP-600C with a good pair of subs will do very well, and you can pick and choose among the RP series for your surrounds and upfiring modules.
Great, ill take a look at them. I also came across the Emotiva Airmotiv line while looking at options, do you have any thoughts on those? Btw when looking for the infinity set as well as the Klipsch RP-600 set they all seem to be sold out or discontinued varying from website to website.
post #16 of 31 Old 06-07-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Great, ill take a look at them. I also came across the Emotiva Airmotiv line while looking at options, do you have any thoughts on those?
They're awesome. Best bang for the buck speaker out there, other than the Infinitys-when-on-sale, excellent for both music and movies, zero brightness risk but still plenty of detail. Some folks don't like their futuristic styling, but I find that they look a lot better in-room than on the website where Emotiva unwisely uses white-background photos.

Only caveat is, if you listen above typical 60-75db and have an entry-level receiver, you might need an external amp like an Outlaw 5000. Download a free SPL Meter app to your phone and find out where you are on the volume scale.

post #17 of 31 Old 06-10-2020, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They're awesome. Best bang for the buck speaker out there, other than the Infinitys-when-on-sale, excellent for both music and movies, zero brightness risk but still plenty of detail. Some folks don't like their futuristic styling, but I find that they look a lot better in-room than on the website where Emotiva unwisely uses white-background photos.

Only caveat is, if you listen above typical 60-75db and have an entry-level receiver, you might need an external amp like an Outlaw 5000. Download a free SPL Meter app to your phone and find out where you are on the volume scale.
Ijust got around to testing how loud I watch movies and I listen on average 72db. But ill keep the Emotiva's in mind. another option I was looking at was using the infinity Bookshelfs for surrounds and front L/R and getting 2 of the infinity subs. how do you think this would work? if I went that route I would be able to order the speakers now and wire them along the walls in my current room before moving to the larger space.
post #18 of 31 Old 06-10-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Ijust got around to testing how loud I watch movies and I listen on average 72db. But ill keep the Emotiva's in mind. another option I was looking at was using the infinity Bookshelfs for surrounds and front L/R and getting 2 of the infinity subs. how do you think this would work? if I went that route I would be able to order the speakers now and wire them along the walls in my current room before moving to the larger space.
The Infinity SPEAKERS will be fine...but don't cheap out on the subs.

I would get at least one Hsu VTF-2, two is better, or one VTF-3...you're already saving a ton of money with the Infinity deal, and you have a big space.
sigpig likes this.

post #19 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Infinity SPEAKERS will be fine...but don't cheap out on the subs.

I would get at least one Hsu VTF-2, two is better, or one VTF-3...you're already saving a ton of money with the Infinity deal, and you have a big space.
ok so where my head at right now is:
4 Infinity R152
1 Infinity R252
4 Sony Elevation Speakers
1 HSU VTF-2 MK5 (going to upgrade to 2 later)
I'm going with the Pioneer 9.2 vsx-lx303 as a receiver

I realized my budget wasn't as large as I initially thought when starting to plan which pieces I was going to purchase.
cocrh, sigpig and raistlin65 like this.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
4 Infinity R152
1 Infinity R252

I realized my budget wasn't as large as I initially thought when starting to plan which pieces I was going to purchase.
Looks good.

One thing...the Sony Elevate speakers are just single woofers, no tweeter. You could easily use NHT SuperZeros to get a tweeter plus woofer, for less:
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...dp/B00CKNOYWK/

The only advantage of the Sonys is they're smaller and already angled, but I'd expect better performance with the NHTs.

post #21 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
4 Infinity R152
1 Infinity R252

Looks good.

One thing...the Sony Elevate speakers are just single woofers, no tweeter. You could easily use NHT SuperZeros to get a tweeter plus woofer, for less:
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...dp/B00CKNOYWK/

The only advantage of the Sonys is they're smaller and already angled, but I'd expect better performance with the NHTs.
This look like they need to be mounted on the ceiling, I was looking for upward firing even though they aren’t ideal for Atmos. Are there any around the same price as the Sony’s that are upward firing that have a tweeter with a woofer?
post #22 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
This look like they need to be mounted on the ceiling, I was looking for upward firing even though they aren’t ideal for Atmos. Are there any around the same price as the Sony’s that are upward firing that have a tweeter with a woofer?
There's no such thing as an "ideal for Atmos" speaker---that's 100% marketing/sales BS.

And ANY bookshelf speaker can be "upward firing" --- you put it on top of your other speaker and just use a rubber doorstop wedge to angle it.

The only disadvantage is that the speaker cable will come out underneath the speaker instead of behind it in that position. But you can always mount it on the wall just under the ceiling, angled downwards.

Otherwise you're looking at around $300-400/pr for 2 way "Atmos" angled speakers. Your call as to how much extra you're willing to pay for convenience and compactness.

post #23 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
This look like they need to be mounted on the ceiling, I was looking for upward firing even though they aren’️t ideal for Atmos. Are there any around the same price as the Sony’️s that are upward firing that have a tweeter with a woofer?
There's no such thing as an "ideal for Atmos" speaker---that's 100% marketing/sales BS.

And ANY bookshelf speaker can be "upward firing" --- you put it on top of your other speaker and just use a rubber doorstop wedge to angle it.

The only disadvantage is that the speaker cable will come out underneath the speaker instead of behind it in that position. But you can always mount it on the wall just under the ceiling, angled downwards.

Otherwise you're looking at around $300-400/pr for 2 way "Atmos" angled speakers. Your call as to how much extra you're willing to pay for convenience and compactness.
Yeah but it wouldn’t look as clean. I’ll try and find something more engineered to tilt it, I can’t mount anything since I won’t be running the wire through the wall and will be running the wire under a rug instead
post #24 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah but it wouldn’t look as clean. I’ll try and find something more engineered to tilt it, I can’t mount anything since I won’t be running the wire through the wall and will be running the wire under a rug instead
Around $300/pr gets you:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-a1
or
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-41S...dp/B07FKCP7PY/

post #25 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Heya,

Since you're looking for an Atmos experience, take a look at some real world reviews from people who have tested the `up firing' version, angled heights, sealed speakers on the ceiling vs in-ceiling speakers. It's worth putting some research into this. There's a few threads and some YouTube reviews that go over it. My take from seeing other people's experiences, so taken with a grain of salt, is that the up firing ones are the worst and the best are the angled heights and in-ceiling speakers (but only if you go big, like 8 inch woofers). So if you don't want to cut holes into your ceiling (understandable) maybe look at angled or bracket-mounted bookshelves/satellites that can be positioned and angled, such as heights or satellites.

Example: SVS Elevation

For subs, take a look at:

Monolith (10) x 2
Monolith (12) x 2
Monolith (15) x 1
SVS PB-2000 Pro x 2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Dual Drive (15) x 2

Receiver, take a look at:

Denon X1600H (has pre-amp output to add additional stereo amp to power another set of speakers to generate your 2nd pair of Atmos speakers; EDIT: sorry this doesn't work!) Doh, looks like to do a full on 5.X.4 (4 channel Atmos) it's going to be a $800~$1k minimum (and thats refurb) AVR unless you find a used deal.

From there, you can start looking at speakers. Bookshelf speakers would be fine for this kind of space. Towers are nice, because they're more efficient, but you will not have any trouble `getting loud' with any bookshelves in your space anyways, so it's not worth fussing over. Ideally your center channel would match your mains (L & R). There's good evidence that most horizontal MTM center channel speakers are huge compromises and that a vertical center channel is far better, if you care about off-axis performance. If it's just one seat, ever, then horizontal can work if dead-centered at you. Sattelites for surrounds should be your least concern. The Left, Right and Center do all the work really. So don't worry about getting really great surrounds. I also wouldn't stress really great speakers for Atmos either, depending on how you attempt to implement. I would not however implement via up firing reflection, that seems to get the worst reviews (anecdotal, obviously see what you think).

For deals, take a look at Jamo series (LINK). From books to towers, they're attractive, decent, and rather inexpensive for what they are and on sale.

Very best,
raistlin65 likes this.

Last edited by MalVeauX; 06-12-2020 at 04:58 AM.
post #26 of 31 Old 06-11-2020, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post
(snip)

Denon X1600H (has pre-amp output to add additional stereo amp to power another set of speakers to generate your 2nd pair of Atmos speakers)

(snip)
If you mean what you appear to, that's incorrect. The 1600 processes 7 channels, so the most complex Atmos setup it supports is 5.1.2. The only pre-outs that it has in addition to the subwoofers is for Zone 2. http://downloads.denon.com/documentm...tion_sheet.pdf
post #27 of 31 Old 06-12-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
If you mean what you appear to, that's incorrect. The 1600 processes 7 channels, so the most complex Atmos setup it supports is 5.1.2. The only pre-outs that it has in addition to the subwoofers is for Zone 2. http://downloads.denon.com/documentm...tion_sheet.pdf
I could well be incorrect, this was in its description:

Quote:
Supports Dolby Atmos®, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, DTS:X and DTS Virtual:X: Enjoy an immersive, three-dimensional audio experience up to 7.2.4 with an additional 2ch amplifier
From the PDF you just linked:

Quote:
Enjoy an immersive, three-dimensional audio experience up to 7.2.4
Confusing!

But if that's not true, then thanks for the correction! Certainly not trying to lead someone astray. Just looked into the manual, and you're correct, it cannot process the pre-amp zone output as an assignable channel (even though it says it can be assigned in the description and says you can expand it). So, some misleading documentation there. Boo!

Very best,

Last edited by MalVeauX; 06-12-2020 at 04:47 AM.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-12-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I could well be incorrect, this was in its description:

From the PDF you just linked:

Confusing!

But if that's not true, then thanks for the correction! Certainly not trying to lead someone astray. Just looked into the manual, and you're correct, it cannot process the pre-amp zone output as an assignable channel (even though it says it can be assigned in the description and says you can expand it). So, some misleading documentation there. Boo!

Very best,
My apologies. I missed that.

Looks like somebody did a copy/paste from the AVR-X3600H. That AVR that has 9 onboard amps but processes 11 channels. It can go to 7.2.4 by adding an external 2 channel amp. That's not the first error I've seen on the Denon web pages.

Even the AVR-X2600H, the next model up from the 1600 has no channel expansion capability.

There was at least one older Denon model (AVR-X4200W) with 7 onboard amps but processed 9 channels, so it could have been extended to 5.1.4 (or 7.1.2) with an external 2 channel amp.
MalVeauX likes this.
post #29 of 31 Old 06-12-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
My apologies. I missed that.

Looks like somebody did a copy/paste from the AVR-X3600H. That AVR that has 9 onboard amps but processes 11 channels. It can go to 7.2.4 by adding an external 2 channel amp. That's not the first error I've seen on the Denon web pages.

Even the AVR-X2600H, the next model up from the 1600 has no channel expansion capability.

There was at least one older Denon model (AVR-X4200W) with 7 onboard amps but processed 9 channels, so it could have been extended to 5.1.4 (or 7.1.2) with an external 2 channel amp.
Man, looks like 5.X.4 can only be done for $1k basically, and that's refurb priced.

Very best,
post #30 of 31 Old 06-12-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man, looks like 5.X.4 can only be done for $1k basically, and that's refurb priced.

Very best,
There are less expensive 9 channel AVRs, but not from Denon or Marantz.

Pioneer VSX-LX303, for example. (About $500US.) Uses Pioneer proprietary room equalization software rather than Audyssey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos , elac , Home Theater , monolith , Monoprice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page