Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F vs Polk Audio S60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 06-19-2020, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F vs Polk Audio S60

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done a comparison of these 2 towers? If so, what did you think. Any input is welcome, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Any opinions are welcome, thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #3 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done a comparison of these 2 towers? If so, what did you think. Any input is welcome, thanks.
I haven't, but if your usage is HT not music, I'd take whichever one is less expensive.

If you don't have a sub and your usage is HT, I'd go with the 6.5" or 5.25" single woofer bookshelf version of either brand, whichever is less expensive, which would allow you to get a quality sub ($400-600).

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I haven't, but if your usage is HT not music, I'd take whichever one is less expensive.



If you don't have a sub and your usage is HT, I'd go with the 6.5" or 5.25" single woofer bookshelf version of either brand, whichever is less expensive, which would allow you to get a quality sub ($400-600).
Thank you for the input sir.

They will be used for both HT & Music(part of a 5.1 setup to start out and 2 - 4 Atmos and a second sub added later) so, must perform well in both applications. Musical performance is most important to me however even though I likely use them more for HT.

These will definitely be paired with 1 or 2 subs from the get go no matter which I go with. Right now I am leaning towards the new SVS PB-2000 Pro(one to start).

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #5 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
They will be used for both HT & Music(part of a 5.1 setup to start out and 2 - 4 Atmos and a second sub added later) so, must perform well in both applications. Musical performance is most important to me however even though I likely use them more for HT.

These will definitely be paired with 1 or 2 subs from the get go no matter which I go with. Right now I am leaning towards the new SVS PB-2000 Pro(one to start).
Regarding your subs, what are your room dimensions? And by "room" I mean including all adjacent open rooms if it's an open plan house.

How did you narrow it down to the 6000F vs S60? Have you heard them both before, or had some good experiences with both brands/model-lines?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #6 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Regarding your subs, what are your room dimensions? And by "room" I mean including all adjacent open rooms if it's an open plan house.



How did you narrow it down to the 6000F vs S60? Have you heard them both before, or had some good experiences with both brands/model-lines?
Room dimensions now are 17.5L x 11.5W x 8'H with a couple of doorways out. But, I will be moving in the next year to a new house so, dimensions there will be unknown. I would prefer overkill to under.

I wouldn't say I have narrowed it down as I am still in the research phase. These are just two of the front runners jn my price bracket. Both will be auditioned if possible before I buy(I have a Paradigm & Polk Dealer near by). No rush as I have some Reno's to finish and won't be buying until November.

Lots of experience with Polk, little with Paradigm(although I have followed them for years) but, the Monitor SE line gets many great reviews with lots saying they are some of the best value in the industry and sound better then some at twice the price. They are also Canadian which I like as I am as well which makes warranty much less of an issue. And, I like that they are allied with the NRC and design their stuff based on science and research. I will likely audition other options if possible too but, budget is set at $5K for complete 5.1.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #7 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
Room dimensions now are 17.5L x 11.5W x 8'H with a couple of doorways out. But, I will be moving in the next year to a new house so, dimensions there will be unknown. I would prefer overkill to under.

I wouldn't say I have narrowed it down as I am still in the research phase. These are just two of the front runners jn my price bracket. Both will be auditioned if possible before I buy(I have a Paradigm & Polk Dealer near by). No rush as I have some Reno's to finish and won't be buying until November.

Lots of experience with Polk, little with Paradigm(although I have followed them for years) but, the Monitor SE line gets many great reviews with lots saying they are some of the best value in the industry and sound better then some at twice the price. They are also Canadian which I like as I am as well which makes warranty much less of an issue. And, I like that they are allied with the NRC and design their stuff based on science and research. I will likely audition other options if possible too but, budget is set at $5K for complete 5.1.
Are you in Canada, or the US?

If in Canada, that's $5K CAD not USD, I take it?

Lastly, how important are aesthetics for you?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #8 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Are you in Canada, or the US?



If in Canada, that's $5K CAD not USD, I take it?



Lastly, how important are aesthetics for you?
Yes, in Canada.

Yes, 5K Canadian is the budget I would like to stick to. It is also preferable to have a dealer near by so I can listen to them and maybe even save on shipping.

Not very, hense the Monitor SE being the front runner. I mean, if I had a larger budget I like nice wood and the like but, with this budget I set I would much rather focus on superior performance in a plain black box.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #9 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Here is my current picks for my new 5.1 setup...

AVR - Denon AVR-X3600H
Towers - 6000F
Center - 2000C
Surrounds - Monitor Atom SE
Sub - SVS PB-2000 Pro(new 550 version)
Cables - 12 Gauge OFC with bananas

Atmos and second sub added later if needed/wanted(seperate budget).



Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #10 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done a comparison of these 2 towers? If so, what did you think. Any input is welcome, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
I'd go with the Paradigms.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Ryan Statz is online now  
post #11 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
Yes, in Canada.

Yes, 5K Canadian is the budget I would like to stick to. It is also preferable to have a dealer near by so I can listen to them and maybe even save on shipping.

Not very, hense the Monitor SE being the front runner. I mean, if I had a larger budget I like nice wood and the like but, with this budget I set I would much rather focus on superior performance in a plain black box.
Well, patriotism would point you firmly in the direction of Paradigm. I haven't heard the new Monitor series but they seem well received and are remarkably price-competitive relative to how expensive audio gear in Canada usually is to the US. Canada has one internet-direct speaker company, Fluance, which offers free return shipping but I think their stuff has gotten some mixed reviews.

The best bang for the buck would be Emotiva speakers, which ship free from the US and I think Canadian taxes/customs add another 10% or so.

Either way, since HT is an important part of your usage too, I would just be sure to get the best center speaker you can within your budget. Paradigm makes a huge 3-way center in one of its upper end lines, the 45B or 55B I think. The center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output and 98% of the DIALOGUE so it is *the* true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners.

Subs are where you are basically screwed in Canada. I think the best bang for the buck one you can get there is the SVS PB1000 from electronicsforless.ca --- check how much it costs relative to the PB2000 Pro.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #12 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, patriotism would point you firmly in the direction of Paradigm. I haven't heard the new Monitor series but they seem well received and are remarkably price-competitive relative to how expensive audio gear in Canada usually is to the US. Canada has one internet-direct speaker company, Fluance, which offers free return shipping but I think their stuff has gotten some mixed reviews.



The best bang for the buck would be Emotiva speakers, which ship free from the US and I think Canadian taxes/customs add another 10% or so.



Either way, since HT is an important part of your usage too, I would just be sure to get the best center speaker you can within your budget. Paradigm makes a huge 3-way center in one of its upper end lines, the 45B or 55B I think. The center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output and 98% of the DIALOGUE so it is *the* true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners.



Subs are where you are basically screwed in Canada. I think the best bang for the buck one you can get there is the SVS PB1000 from electronicsforless.ca --- check how much it costs relative to the PB2000 Pro.
Well, I must admit, I don't have a whole lot of patriotism these days as my once great country has been going quickly down hill under its current government. It is more the value and ease of warranty that makes Canadian companies appeal to me. Yeah, Fluance are crap from what I hear but, I believe my Para dealer also stocks them so I will have a listen.

Yeah, I will definitely check them out as people rave about their amps. I plan to listen to a couple of KEF, Polk, and SVS options as well if possible.

Definitely agree. I would like to stay timber matched though so do you not think the 2000C would cut it with the 6000F's?

I am worried the PB-1000 will be underpowered as I have had that issue before so, I plan to go with the new 550 Version of the PB-2000 as it should be more then enough(especially when I add a second down the road to help balance the room). I also have been told to check out Monolith but, haven't yet. The Paradigm Defiance X12 is another option.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #13 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
Well, I must admit, I don't have a whole lot of patriotism these days as my once great country has been going quickly down hill under its current government. It is more the value and ease of warranty that makes Canadian companies appeal to me. Yeah, Fluance are crap from what I hear but, I believe my Para dealer also stocks them so I will have a listen.

Yeah, I will definitely check them out as people rave about their amps. I plan to listen to a couple of KEF, Polk, and SVS options as well if possible.

Definitely agree. I would like to stay timber matched though so do you not think the 2000C would cut it with the 6000F's?

I am worried the PB-1000 will be underpowered as I have had that issue before so, I plan to go with the new 550 Version of the PB-2000 as it should be more then enough(especially when I add a second down the road to help balance the room). I also have been told to check out Monolith but, haven't yet. The Paradigm Defiance X12 is another option.
Well, if you get the 2000C I'd just make sure you'd be able to return it just in case you weren't 100% happy with it. It's got a nested tweeter and decent sized 5.25" woofers so maybe it'll be fine.

Emotiva has one 15" sub on clearance that you might want to look into, since it might cost a lot less in Canada than a PB2000 Pro.
https://emotiva.com/collections/subw...s/airmotiv-s15

How much does the PD X12 cost up there? The US Paradigm website is showing it at $1039 USD which is a lousy value compared to a Hsu, Rythmik, or SVS 12" sub.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #14 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, if you get the 2000C I'd just make sure you'd be able to return it just in case you weren't 100% happy with it. It's got a nested tweeter and decent sized 5.25" woofers so maybe it'll be fine.



Emotiva has one 15" sub on clearance that you might want to look into, since it might cost a lot less in Canada than a PB2000 Pro.

https://emotiva.com/collections/subw...s/airmotiv-s15



How much does the PD X12 cost up there? The US Paradigm website is showing it at $1039 USD which is a lousy value compared to a Hsu, Rythmik, or SVS 12" sub.
Good plan, I will definitely check the return policy. I will also make sure to have a good listen before I decide to even try it.

I am a little scared of Emotiva now after a bit of reading(obvious much more is needed as I just had a quick read). They seam to have a lot of issues and use their customers as beta testers. But, apparently things are getting better. Thanks for the link though, I will continue to research them.

X12 is $1649 Canadian retail without sales or discounts(probably 15-20% lower of one waits). Yes, it's a bit pricey(hense why I was stared to SVS) but, keep in mind it has Anthem ARC built in and other pluses. What do you think of Monolith?



Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #15 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
I am a little scared of Emotiva now after a bit of reading(obvious much more is needed as I just had a quick read). They seam to have a lot of issues and use their customers as beta testers.

X12 is $1649 Canadian retail without sales or discounts(probably 15-20% lower of one waits). Yes, it's a bit pricey(hense why I was stared to SVS) but, keep in mind it has Anthem ARC built in and other pluses. What do you think of Monolith?
Were you reading about Emotiva's electronics? I've never heard that about their passive speakers.

Monolith in the US has a $500 10" THX that by all accounts rolls all over the PB1000 for the same money. Their other subs seem to quite pricey compared to Hsu and Rythmik, but are generally very well regarded. Of course, since they are not a dedicated subwoofer company but a huge electronics retailer, it's fair to say that you'd probably get better after sales service from one of the sub specialist companies.

Not sure what I think about paying out the wazoo for electronic bells and whistles added to subs; I tend to be skeptical of electronic bells and whistles in general.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #16 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Were you reading about Emotiva's electronics? I've never heard that about their passive speakers.



Monolith in the US has a $500 10" THX that by all accounts rolls all over the PB1000 for the same money. Their other subs seem to quite pricey compared to Hsu and Rythmik, but are generally very well regarded. Of course, since they are not a dedicated subwoofer company but a huge electronics retailer, it's fair to say that you'd probably get better after sales service from one of the sub specialist companies.



Not sure what I think about paying out the wazoo for electronic bells and whistles added to subs; I tend to be skeptical of electronic bells and whistles in general.
Yeah, definitely electronics as I have been doing a lot of reading about AVR's and Amps as of late. I will do some more research about their speakers too. It does appear they are a good company after more reading as they went as far as fixing one of their products and admitting their error due to feedback from a certain reviewer.

I will have to read more about them then as well as Hsu and Rythmik. Is Velodyne still around and relevant? They used to make some nice subs back in the day.

Yeah, it may not be worth it too as most AVR's have their own room correction software now a days. I have lots of reading to do on that front too...



Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #17 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 08:13 PM
Newbie
 
Jacson32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I´m also interested in any opinion from anyone who have heard the Paradigm Monitor Se X Polk Signature.
I was going to build a system with Polk S55, C30, S15, but in the last minute I got the Paradigm Monitor SE 3000F. Don´t have the chance to heard any of them in local stores.

It was a hard choice as my last speaker was a bookshelf with 6.5 driver...was really worried about bass since the SE3000F use 5.25 drivers.
My first impression of the Paradigm SE3000F was not positive...not much bass...too bright...
Luckily I had the opportunity to compare the SE3000F with some other (old) speakers, and to my untrained ears the Paradigm was way better. Now I don´t think they are bright like in the first day, but there´s some really "nice attention" in the upper range so you can hear more details, and that´s also give the impression that there´s no bass.

There is solid bass here, tight and clean, but with more emphasis in the high´s (guitar´s, cymbals).


Problem is the store I order the Paradigm don´t have any more speakers from the Monitor Line...only Premier series...
Now I don´t know if I sell the Paradigm to build the Polk system initially planned...or if I sell the Monitor to go with the Premier speakers...the 800F with 6.5 drivers...
I´m a bass player... so I would really appreciate more emphasis in the midbass, and that still got me looking at the Polk Signatures...but the Paradigm sound sooo good...

I can´t put links but found this in a Polk S50 review:

Comparison and Competition
My recent love affair with affordable floorstanding speakers started with my review of the Paradigm Monitor SE6000F, but the Paradigm Monitor SE3000F speakers at around $700 per pair is likely a better comparison. The highs sound a little smoother to me on the Paradigms, but the Polks' bass really rocked in comparison.


Hard choices... =(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CMP.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	2746264  
Jacson32 is offline  
post #18 of 72 Old 06-20-2020, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
I will have to read more about them then as well as Hsu and Rythmik. Is Velodyne still around and relevant? They used to make some nice subs back in the day.

Yeah, it may not be worth it too as most AVR's have their own room correction software now a days. I have lots of reading to do on that front too...
Velodyne is no longer in the subwoofer game, AFAIK. They might not even be in any game any more...haven't heard their name in ages, other than the odd old-timer popping up with a vintage system they want to upgrade.

There are advanced versions of Audyssey that will EQ even two subs for you.

And some folks buy their own Umik-1 microphone and use something like REW (free) to do their own room EQ manually, apparently.

I wouldn't know anything about that firsthand since I have been perfectly happy WITHOUT room correction or EQ of any kind the whole time I've been in this hobby. But someone did recently gift me with an Umik-1 so who knows, just maybe ...

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #19 of 72 Old 06-21-2020, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,224
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
Yeah, definitely electronics as I have been doing a lot of reading about AVR's and Amps as of late. I will do some more research about their speakers too. It does appear they are a good company after more reading as they went as far as fixing one of their products and admitting their error due to feedback from a certain reviewer.

I will have to read more about them then as well as Hsu and Rythmik. Is Velodyne still around and relevant? They used to make some nice subs back in the day.

Yeah, it may not be worth it too as most AVR's have their own room correction software now a days. I have lots of reading to do on that front too...



Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
You mentioned music as being more important and I bet with good hi resolution speakers and a good sub(s), you're time spent listening to music will likely increase. With good subs like SVS you wouldn't really need towers which would allow for better bookshelf speakers.

Paradigm Premier 200B or Prestige 15B. The 15b's sound fantastic.
Paradigm Premier 600C if you have room for it otherwise the 500C
Paradigm Monitor SE for surround duty
SVS PB-2000 pro X2

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #20 of 72 Old 06-21-2020, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacson32 View Post
I´m also interested in any opinion from anyone who have heard the Paradigm Monitor Se X Polk Signature.
I was going to build a system with Polk S55, C30, S15, but in the last minute I got the Paradigm Monitor SE 3000F. Don´t have the chance to heard any of them in local stores.

It was a hard choice as my last speaker was a bookshelf with 6.5 driver...was really worried about bass since the SE3000F use 5.25 drivers.
My first impression of the Paradigm SE3000F was not positive...not much bass...too bright...
Luckily I had the opportunity to compare the SE3000F with some other (old) speakers, and to my untrained ears the Paradigm was way better. Now I don´t think they are bright like in the first day, but there´s some really "nice attention" in the upper range so you can hear more details, and that´s also give the impression that there´s no bass.

There is solid bass here, tight and clean, but with more emphasis in the high´s (guitar´s, cymbals).


Problem is the store I order the Paradigm don´t have any more speakers from the Monitor Line...only Premier series...
Now I don´t know if I sell the Paradigm to build the Polk system initially planned...or if I sell the Monitor to go with the Premier speakers...the 800F with 6.5 drivers...
I´m a bass player... so I would really appreciate more emphasis in the midbass, and that still got me looking at the Polk Signatures...but the Paradigm sound sooo good...

I can´t put links but found this in a Polk S50 review:

Comparison and Competition
My recent love affair with affordable floorstanding speakers started with my review of the Paradigm Monitor SE6000F, but the Paradigm Monitor SE3000F speakers at around $700 per pair is likely a better comparison. The highs sound a little smoother to me on the Paradigms, but the Polks' bass really rocked in comparison.


Hard choices... =(
Thanks for the reply.

You can order direct from Paradigm I believe or another dealer should you decide to go Para.

Any chance we could get a link to that review(even partial)?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #21 of 72 Old 06-21-2020, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Velodyne is no longer in the subwoofer game, AFAIK. They might not even be in any game any more...haven't heard their name in ages, other than the odd old-timer popping up with a vintage system they want to upgrade.



There are advanced versions of Audyssey that will EQ even two subs for you.



And some folks buy their own Umik-1 microphone and use something like REW (free) to do their own room EQ manually, apparently.



I wouldn't know anything about that firsthand since I have been perfectly happy WITHOUT room correction or EQ of any kind the whole time I've been in this hobby. But someone did recently gift me with an Umik-1 so who knows, just maybe ...
Yeah, looks like they have moved on to a different industry(LiDAR).

Good to know, thanks. I have been reading more about RC and am now starting to understand better. I definitely will be trying it when I get the setup.



Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tachead7075; 06-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #22 of 72 Old 06-21-2020, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
You mentioned music as being more important and I bet with good hi resolution speakers and a good sub(s), you're time spent listening to music will likely increase. With good subs like SVS you wouldn't really need towers which would allow for better bookshelf speakers.



Paradigm Premier 200B or Prestige 15B. The 15b's sound fantastic.

Paradigm Premier 600C if you have room for it otherwise the 500C

Paradigm Monitor SE for surround duty

SVS PB-2000 pro X2
I would loose a lot of impact and mid bass I bet though. I have tried multiple satellite and bookshelf systems combined with subs and always found them lacking when compared to towers(especially in 2 channel stereo with a sub).

I am considering the Premier line if I can get a descent sale. With the right sales and a slight increase to my budge I think I can pull this setup off...

Paradigm Premier 800F x 2
Paradigm Premier 500C(600C won't fit on my TV stand)
Paradigm Premier 100B x 2
SVS PB-2000 Pro x 1

Atmos and sdcond PB-2000 Pro added later if needed/wanted.

What do you guys think compared to my proposed Monitor SE setup?

Still need to listen to the Polks but, I have a feeling they will be destroyed by the Paradigms(especially the 800F's).

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #23 of 72 Old 06-21-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,224
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
I would loose a lot of impact and mid bass I bet though. I have tried multiple satellite and bookshelf systems combined with subs and always found them lacking when compared to towers(especially in 2 channel stereo with a sub).

I am considering the Premier line if I can get a descent sale. With the right sales and a slight increase to my budge I think I can pull this setup off...

Paradigm Premier 800F x 2
Paradigm Premier 500C(600C won't fit on my TV stand)
Paradigm Premier 100B x 2
SVS PB-2000 Pro x 1

Atmos and sdcond PB-2000 Pro added later if needed/wanted.

What do you guys think compared to my proposed Monitor SE setup?

Still need to listen to the Polks but, I have a feeling they will be destroyed by the Paradigms(especially the 800F's).

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Sounds like a solid plan, but would save money on the surrounds and go with the Monitor series for those. You won't be using surrounds for music and They mostly handle background music and ambient sounds so no need for higher end speakers.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #24 of 72 Old 06-21-2020, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Sounds like a solid plan, but would save money on the surrounds and go with the Monitor series for those. You won't be using surrounds for music and They mostly handle background music and ambient sounds so no need for higher end speakers.
Yeah, I will consider that for sure although I must admit to liking when things match(it's hard for me to even stray on a sub). And, a full timber match is nice when listening to music in all channel or quad modes. But, savings are never a bad thing when stretching a budget too lol. A lot will depend on sales when I am ready to buy(November, so may just wait for Black Friday sales). I am going to start auditioning too which will likely narrow my decision. Unfortunately I can't listen to the Polks and the two series of Para's in the same room as my Para dealer doesn't deal in Polk. I would like to drive somewhere to audition the SVS Prime & Prime Pinnacle too as well as some KEF options but, not sure if I will have the time and I don't want to complicate things too much.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #25 of 72 Old 06-21-2020, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
outlier2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Calgary Canada
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have owned a lot of Paradigm speakers and a few Polk. They are not in the same league. Paradigms are better built and better bang for your buck. If you are Canadian it is a no brainer for value and warranty as well.

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
outlier2 is offline  
post #26 of 72 Old 06-22-2020, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,501
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
I would go for the Premier line over the SE with Paradigm. One big reason is the much better center channel by using a 3 way center. Any center that is an MTM design and doesn't use a 3 way center for good off axis dispersion is a compromise in my professional opinion and other professionals. MTM centers are made to hit price points and not performance parameters and Paradigm is no exception to make a more reasonably priced speaker. Just due to the physics of speaker design there is no getting around this. So you want a center that has a vertically arrange midrange and tweeter.

I would also consider 2 subs if you have more than one seat. Bass response can vary significantly from seat to seat. Two subs is about getting consistent bass at multiple seats and not output, although you do get a little more output. Although placement of these subs to get more consistent bass is essential. Just adding a second sub and placing it where convenient might not help much. If you only care about one seat then one sub is fine. I also would consider some of Paradigm's new Defiance subs they are very nice especially with their ARC built in. They might not put out as much as an SVS or other ID brand but they are no slouch. Listen to them side by side and you might prefer the Paradigm. We just had a customer do this with the X-15 vs the PB4000 and chose the X-15. Both had more than enough output for his needs and he thought the X-15 sounded better ans was less expensive. Being in Canada they might be more reasonable but I think SVS also has Canadian division so not too expensive either compared to some other ID brands. I am not recommending one over the other just have a listen. I find many here with subs only look at output for the money or how deep they go and never actually listen to others. If output is your only qualification usually the ID brands do better for the money.
Ellebob is offline  
post #27 of 72 Old 06-22-2020, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier2 View Post
I have owned a lot of Paradigm speakers and a few Polk. They are not in the same league. Paradigms are better built and better bang for your buck. If you are Canadian it is a no brainer for value and warranty as well.
Thanks for the response.

Generally I agree that Paradigm is a notch up as Polk is now more of a mass market department store brand. I also really like that they are Canadian and many of their lines(everything above Monitor SE line) are even made in Canada. However, I would not discount Polk if I were you. Have you ever heard a set of LSI25's? My old roommate had a complete 5.1 setup running on B&K power and trust me they sound very good. Also, because they are a much larger and more popular company the value when sales are on is quite high imo. With the right sale I bet a pair of LSI705's could be had for close to the same price, or just a bit more, as a set of 6000F's. I haven't heard either but, I would bet the LSI's would destroy the 6000F's but, maybe not the 800F's.

Either way, I will audition a couple of models from a few different companies but, Paradigm is definitely on my short list and at the head of the pack right now. I have always followed them(but never owned a set) and liked what I have heard. The fact that they are made where I live is a no brainer for warranty as well.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tachead7075; 06-22-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #28 of 72 Old 06-22-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 16,648
Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachead7075 View Post
I would not discount Polk if I were you. Have you ever heard a set of LSI25's? My old roommate had a complete 5.1 setup running on B&K power and trust me they sound very good. Also, because they are a much larger and more popular company the value when sales are on is quite high imo. With the right sale I bet a pair of LSI705's could be had for close to the same price, or just a bit more, as a set of 6000F's.
The LSi are Polk's top-shelf model line and are well regarded. However, they are ridiculously overpriced unless on deep deep discounts---which I have seen only on one US website, Adorama.com and the last big sale on them was at least 6 months ago or even before that...they may have already sold out of the model line that was being clearanced. That means that with any new LSi model line, be prepared for several years of them being sold at full retail. I can't imagine you being able to find the LSi similarly discounted in Canada.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #29 of 72 Old 06-22-2020, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I would go for the Premier line over the SE with Paradigm. One big reason is the much better center channel by using a 3 way center. Any center that is an MTM design and doesn't use a 3 way center for good off axis dispersion is a compromise in my professional opinion and other professionals. MTM centers are made to hit price points and not performance parameters and Paradigm is no exception to make a more reasonably priced speaker. Just due to the physics of speaker design there is no getting around this. So you want a center that has a vertically arrange midrange and tweeter.



I would also consider 2 subs if you have more than one seat. Bass response can vary significantly from seat to seat. Two subs is about getting consistent bass at multiple seats and not output, although you do get a little more output. Although placement of these subs to get more consistent bass is essential. Just adding a second sub and placing it where convenient might not help much. If you only care about one seat then one sub is fine. I also would consider some of Paradigm's new Defiance subs they are very nice especially with their ARC built in. They might not put out as much as an SVS or other ID brand but they are no slouch. Listen to them side by side and you might prefer the Paradigm. We just had a customer do this with the X-15 vs the PB4000 and chose the X-15. Both had more than enough output for his needs and he thought the X-15 sounded better ans was less expensive. Being in Canada they might be more reasonable but I think SVS also has Canadian division so not too expensive either compared to some other ID brands. I am not recommending one over the other just have a listen. I find many here with subs only look at output for the money or how deep they go and never actually listen to others. If output is your only qualification usually the ID brands do better for the money.
Thank you for the response, this is very helpful information as I hadn't considered the difference a 3 way would make over a 2 way in a center application. Keep in mind though that this setup will be replacing a $400 Logitec THX Certified 5.1 satellite system so anything is going to be a huge upgrade.

I am going to try and go for the Premier's but, I am at the edge of my preferred budget so, it is going to depend on sales. I have also read now that the 500C and 100B are not great speakers and I should go for the 600C and 200B which will increase costs even further. The 600C will also not fit on my current TV stand so, I would need a wall mount for my TV or a different strand(large added expense).

Yes, 2 subs is the plan but, the second will be added down the line(along with 2 - 4 Atmos speakers) as I don't want to cheap out just to get 2. I will definitely be auditioning the Defiance X12. But, I am leaning towards the new SVS PB-2000 Pro or a Monoprice Monolith 12 as both seam like a much better value and are easily available here in Canada. SVS definitely is in the lead due to their great warranty and amazing customer service(from what I hear). Of course it will all depend on the sound but, these are all top choices so, I believe they will all perform great for the most part. I am not going to even consider Hsu and Rythmik now as they are just too much of a pain to get and warranty, should I need it, would be a nightmare. Warranty will likely be a problem with Monoprice as well.

Thanks for all your help as it has given me some more things to consider. Any more guidance is more then welcome.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Tachead7075 is offline  
post #30 of 72 Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The LSi are Polk's top-shelf model line and are well regarded. However, they are ridiculously overpriced unless on deep deep discounts---which I have seen only on one US website, Adorama.com and the last big sale on them was at least 6 months ago or even before that...they may have already sold out of the model line that was being clearanced. That means that with any new LSi model line, be prepared for several years of them being sold at full retail. I can't imagine you being able to find the LSi similarly discounted in Canada.
BB Canada has open box LSI705's for $799 & $819 Canadian(each) right now just as an example(not refurbished, brand new open box). So, $1600 for a set. Even with the current 25% off sale at Para I am looking at $1500 for a set of 800F's and $1000 for 6000F. I have also seen even better sales at times.

I wonder how the RTI A9 and Signature Series S60 would compare to the 6000F and 800F?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tachead7075; 06-22-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Tachead7075 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off