Outdoor speaker suggestion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor speaker suggestion

I live in a neighborhood with a house directly behind me. I’d like some outdoor speakers, ideally out in the yard with plants facing towards the house instead of mounted on the house (covered) facing the neighbor.

I’m not looking to spend a ton. Eyed the tic gs3, but read a lot of quality control complaints. The RSL outsider ii’s are priced right for me, but I’m unsure if they can take direct rain. Anyone have any suggestions? Hoping to stay around $100/speaker and would prefer more speakers vs. a couple loud ones.

We are installing a pool and I’d like to hear music at moderate volume throughout the yard vs. having to crank it up from a single source to hear it at the end of the pool.

Thanks in advance.
kevin.gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 724
How are you planning on powering and/or running wires to the speaker??

I mounted my speakers under my covered patio facing out into the yard.
They are powered by Zone 2 on my indoor AVR. No issues with weather that way.
I have very good coverage and ample volume without disturbing my near by neighbors.

I use Paradigm Stylus speakers that came with a nice wall mount bracket.
I've also listened to PSB outdoor speakers that sounded very good.

I'd also recommend bumping up your budget if you can.

The Paradigm's are on sale now for 20% off--no tax & free shipping

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
grasshoppers is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Whatever I get will be passive, powered by a receiver in the basement. Empty conduit already run under the decking so wiring shouldn’t be too difficult. If I place a couple under the covered deck, I’d probably try the rsl’s or klipsch Kho-7 (Costco has the klipsch for $190/pair). Am I right to assume the klipsch can’t be placed in the shrubs completely exposed?
kevin.gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
Whatever I get will be passive, powered by a receiver in the basement. Empty conduit already run under the decking so wiring shouldn’t be too difficult. If I place a couple under the covered deck, I’d probably try the rsl’s or klipsch Kho-7 (Costco has the klipsch for $190/pair). Am I right to assume the klipsch can’t be placed in the shrubs completely exposed?
Not sure on the Klipsch-personally I would be hesitant to place any speaker in a
Bush exposed to the elements...that's your call

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
grasshoppers is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,426
Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
I live in a neighborhood with a house directly behind me. I’d like some outdoor speakers, ideally out in the yard with plants facing towards the house instead of mounted on the house (covered) facing the neighbor.

I’m not looking to spend a ton. Eyed the tic gs3, but read a lot of quality control complaints. The RSL outsider ii’s are priced right for me, but I’m unsure if they can take direct rain. Anyone have any suggestions? Hoping to stay around $100/speaker and would prefer more speakers vs. a couple loud ones.

We are installing a pool and I’d like to hear music at moderate volume throughout the yard vs. having to crank it up from a single source to hear it at the end of the pool.

Thanks in advance.
Free returns if not happy.

$100 each.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-outsider-ii/

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,587
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Facing the speakers away from the neighbors will not keep the sound from reaching them. If the speakers are mounted in the open, you will have to turn them up in order to get an equivalent sound level to surface-mounted speakers. This puts more strain on the amp and the speakers. My recommendation would be to mount the speakers on the house, under the eaves, to get the most reinforcement from the building and lessen the power required to get to a particular sound level. It also resolves any issues with the speakers being out in the elements, as the eaves will protect them.

To reduce the sound travel to your neighbors, plant a row of tall bushes/trees. In the meantime, just keep the sound at reasonable levels.

As to speakers, RSL is often recommended, as are Def Tech and Polk.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks everyone. I will have a privacy fence too and the house behind me is below grade about 20 feet, so maybe the fence in combination with reasonable volume levels and being courteous in general will be enough.

Given the privacy fence, if the speakers were in/on ground level close to the fence facing the house, or even mounted on the fence, would the fence provide the sound reinforcement, or is that not significant enough structure to help?
kevin.gt is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,587
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
Thanks everyone. I will have a privacy fence too and the house behind me is below grade about 20 feet, so maybe the fence in combination with reasonable volume levels and being courteous in general will be enough.

Given the privacy fence, if the speakers were in/on ground level close to the fence facing the house, or even mounted on the fence, would the fence provide the sound reinforcement, or is that not significant enough structure to help?
It will help, but not as much as having two surfaces reinforcing the sound. Also, the distance the sound has to travel makes a big difference, as you lose 6dB for every doubling of distance, so choosing the closer mounting point would be advantageous. If the distances are fairly large, you might consider using 4 speakers, 2 on the fence, two on the house.
bluewizard likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,426
Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
Thanks everyone. I will have a privacy fence too and the house behind me is below grade about 20 feet, so maybe the fence in combination with reasonable volume levels and being courteous in general will be enough.

Given the privacy fence, if the speakers were in/on ground level close to the fence facing the house, or even mounted on the fence, would the fence provide the sound reinforcement, or is that not significant enough structure to help?
You'll be fine.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Parts-express has a TIC GS3 equivalent speaker, as does outdoorspeakerdepot.com. monoprice has a model with 6.5" woofers as well.

adding on to the comment by @RayGuy , placing 2 speakers on each side of your yard may work well. I have 2 TIC-style placed low at the back side of the yard against a block wall. great room gain for the low end. and 2 advent Calypso on stands facing into the yard against the house. Costco sold them years ago for 50/pr! one of the best speaker bargains ever.

can easily get too loud to talk, but sounds full at lower volumes.

an audiosource amp100 equivalent driving 2 x GS3-type and 2 x standard outdoor-type( at least 5"woofer) should do quite well.

FWIW - there is a pair of advent Calypso on ebay 49 + 20 shipping.
also at parts express: 4 x these sould be good as well: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...diato--310-023

good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,940
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
The RSL Outsider II are rated at 8 ohms, with 6.5" bass driver with response down to 50hz. That's about the best you can expect from a speaker like this, and I suspect few can equal it for performance.

Since they are 8 ohms, with the right amp you could drive Four Speakers. If you have Speaker-A & Speaker-B switches on the amp, most do, then you can have Fence Speakers only, On-house speakers only, or both simply by switching the speakers in an out.

That would be about $400 for Four Speakers. Then we need to consider the Amp to Drive them. How much can you spend on that?

I would suggest Bluetooth, that way you can Stream from a Smart Device (phone, pad, tablet, computer) to the amp. Bluetooth is not the absolute best for Music listening, but for background music at an outdoor venue, it is going to be fine. But a dedicated Bluetooth Adapter runs in the range of $25 up to about $80 for low-latency lo- range devices.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-tran...dp/B01H6I3YGK/

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blue...dp/B07BQYYDNJ/

Though of course there are hundred to choose from.

So, that leaves us with the Amp. How much are you willing to spend on that?

Just one of many possibilities -

Yamaha RN-303 Network Receiver, 100w/ch, Network Streaming, Bluetooth, DAC - $299 -


https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN3...ha-R-N303.html

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...303/index.html

With Network Streaming, while you would use your Smart Device to browse, select, and control the music, it would actually Stream through your Home Network.

If you want to go for a more minimal amp, then consider -

Yamaha RS202, AM/FM, 100w/ch, Bluetooth, - $130 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS2...ha-R-S202.html

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...202/index.html

Likely the built in Bluetooth is going to be limited to about 30ft line of sight.

I think the Linked Avantree are about 100ft line of sight.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 06-21-2020, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
The RSL Outsider II are rated at 8 ohms, with 6.5" bass driver with response down to 50hz. That's about the best you can expect from a speaker like this, and I suspect few can equal it for performance.

Since they are 8 ohms, with the right amp you could drive Four Speakers. If you have Speaker-A & Speaker-B switches on the amp, most do, then you can have Fence Speakers only, On-house speakers only, or both simply by switching the speakers in an out.

That would be about $400 for Four Speakers. Then we need to consider the Amp to Drive them. How much can you spend on that?

I would suggest Bluetooth, that way you can Stream from a Smart Device (phone, pad, tablet, computer) to the amp. Bluetooth is not the absolute best for Music listening, but for background music at an outdoor venue, it is going to be fine. But a dedicated Bluetooth Adapter runs in the range of $25 up to about $80 for low-latency lo- range devices.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-tran...dp/B01H6I3YGK/

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blue...dp/B07BQYYDNJ/

Though of course there are hundred to choose from.

So, that leaves us with the Amp. How much are you willing to spend on that?

Just one of many possibilities -

Yamaha RN-303 Network Receiver, 100w/ch, Network Streaming, Bluetooth, DAC - $299 -


https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN3...ha-R-N303.html

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...303/index.html

With Network Streaming, while you would use your Smart Device to browse, select, and control the music, it would actually Stream through your Home Network.

If you want to go for a more minimal amp, then consider -

Yamaha RS202, AM/FM, 100w/ch, Bluetooth, - $130 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS2...ha-R-S202.html

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...202/index.html

Likely the built in Bluetooth is going to be limited to about 30ft line of sight.

I think the Linked Avantree are about 100ft line of sight.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks this is good info. I have an old denon with A/B but unfortunately only supports 16ohm when powering all 4. I also have an Onkyo with A/B that I believe powers all four 8ohm “fronts” simultaneously. I’ll test that out with some indoor speakers I have.

Both of these receivers are older and don’t have Bluetooth, WiFi, or HDMI. I may try a chromecast audio or something similar.
kevin.gt is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
Thanks this is good info. I have an old denon with A/B but unfortunately only supports 16ohm when powering all 4. I also have an Onkyo with A/B that I believe powers all four 8ohm “fronts” simultaneously. I’ll test that out with some indoor speakers I have.

Both of these receivers are older and don’t have Bluetooth, WiFi, or HDMI. I may try a chromecast audio or something similar.
yes, this is a good way to go, at least IMHO. BT for fixed applications is not optimal. with your older amps/receivers, don't forget about an impedance matching speaker selector box. a budget conscious, yet effective, way to go.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 09:09 AM
Member
 
shayes1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
I live in a neighborhood with a house directly behind me. I’d like some outdoor speakers, ideally out in the yard with plants facing towards the house instead of mounted on the house (covered) facing the neighbor.

I’m not looking to spend a ton. Eyed the tic gs3, but read a lot of quality control complaints. The RSL outsider ii’s are priced right for me, but I’m unsure if they can take direct rain. Anyone have any suggestions? Hoping to stay around $100/speaker and would prefer more speakers vs. a couple loud ones.

We are installing a pool and I’d like to hear music at moderate volume throughout the yard vs. having to crank it up from a single source to hear it at the end of the pool.

Thanks in advance.

Have you given something like this any consideration?


https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/...kers-5961.html
shayes1 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,940
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
Thanks this is good info. I have an old denon with A/B but unfortunately only supports 16ohm when powering all 4. I also have an Onkyo with A/B that I believe powers all four 8ohm “fronts” simultaneously. I’ll test that out with some indoor speakers I have.

Both of these receivers are older and don’t have Bluetooth, WiFi, or HDMI. I may try a chromecast audio or something similar.
If you can find a ChromeCast-Audio ...fine... but I don't think they make them any more, so they are going to be hard to find. But crazy cheap. Heartbreaking that they stopped making them.

The places where you can find Chromecast-Audio being sold, they are being sold for about THREE Times the original Cost (ebay, ....).

As I mentioned and linked, getting a Bluetooth Receiver is not that expensive, there are hundreds to choose from, and they will work with any amp that has a free Line Input. And some like the Avantree alternately will work with amps that have a spare Optical In.

The Avantree Oasis (standard) is $54. Plus is has about 100ft range. That won't break the bank. But, as mentioned, you can get Bluetooth Receiver for $25 or less on Amazon. Just decide how far you want to take it.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 21,426
Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked: 7214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.gt View Post
Both of these receivers are older and don’t have Bluetooth, WiFi, or HDMI. I may try a chromecast audio or something similar.
My nieces have these hooked up to their old school stereo receivers and it works very very well for them.


https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon.../dp/B009CA7G92

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
If you can find a ChromeCast-Audio ...fine... but I don't think they make them any more, so they are going to be hard to find. But crazy cheap. Heartbreaking that they stopped making them.

The places where you can find Chromecast-Audio being sold, they are being sold for about THREE Times the original Cost (ebay, ....).

As I mentioned and linked, getting a Bluetooth Receiver is not that expensive, there are hundreds to choose from, and they will work with any amp that has a free Line Input. And some like the Avantree alternately will work with amps that have a spare Optical In.

The Avantree Oasis (standard) is $54. Plus is has about 100ft range. That won't break the bank. But, as mentioned, you can get Bluetooth Receiver for $25 or less on Amazon. Just decide how far you want to take it.

Steve/bluewizard
Chromecast( HDMI) + audio extractor - should be do-able for ~ $50... might be a way around the discontinuance of the CCA puck.

There are also quite a few proprietary music-over-wifi pucks + app on Amazon

Parts express has the dayton audio hi-fly + BT for <50 as well.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,940
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
Chromecast( HDMI) + audio extractor - should be do-able for ~ $50... might be a way around the discontinuance of the CCA puck.

There are also quite a few proprietary music-over-wifi pucks + app on Amazon

Parts express has the dayton audio hi-fly + BT for <50 as well.
Chromecast (HDMI) are about US$30 -

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast

But there are several HDMI DACs available for about the same price -

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=HDMI+DAC&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

https://www.amazon.com/LinkS-Extract...dp/B00XJITK7E/

So, that is certainly one possible solution.

These are mostly Video Streamers but some of them do have Spotify and Other Audio Streaming Services built in. So, if you have a paid Spotify account, that should work ....plus... you do get video Streaming services too.

Though to be fair, if you have a DAC, for example in your amp, just connect the HDMI Streamer to the TV, and take Digital Audio Out of the TV and feed it to a DAC (internal or external) which if bought separately can be in the range of $10 and up.


Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 398
streaming value champ: http://phorus.com/pr5-receiver/

airplay, BT, Play-fi...

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 06-22-2020, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,940
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
streaming value champ: http://phorus.com/pr5-receiver/

airplay, BT, Play-fi...
That does look pretty sweet. Very compact, but seeming pretty powerful. Worth Checking Out.

Dual Band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, supports most audio streaming services, and Vimeo and YouTube. Plus it has 24b/192k DACs in it.


Price = $29

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 06-23-2020, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
streaming value champ: http://phorus.com/pr5-receiver/

airplay, BT, Play-fi...
That does look really cool, but the reviews on Amazon are meh especially relating to losing connection and needing to be restarted. That'd get annoying. I do have an old chromecast laying around. I could try a cheap hdmi to component box. Won't give me bluetooth, but most of the time, we'll be using spotify premium anyways.
kevin.gt is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 06-29-2020, 06:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am currently trying out different outdoor speakers. I have a pair of RSLs, Aw5500 & AW6500. I am going to break in the speakers some more but as of now the AW5500 is the winner. For some reason the 6500 sounds harsh in the HF, which is weird because the 5500 has the same components in the HF. The 5500 does sound a bit boxy in comparison to the 6500, which also does have a bit more bass, but the HF are more balanced. The RSL is very, very bright. Way to sibilent (harsh in the HF, where you hear the "sh" sounds and cymbals) for my taste and it does not have some of the bass found in both the 5500 & 6500. As far as bass they both give you more the the RSL to my ears.
esumsea is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 06-30-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by esumsea View Post
I am currently trying out different outdoor speakers. I have a pair of RSLs, Aw5500 & AW6500. I am going to break in the speakers some more but as of now the AW5500 is the winner. For some reason the 6500 sounds harsh in the HF, which is weird because the 5500 has the same components in the HF. The 5500 does sound a bit boxy in comparison to the 6500, which also does have a bit more bass, but the HF are more balanced. The RSL is very, very bright. Way to sibilent (harsh in the HF, where you hear the "sh" sounds and cymbals) for my taste and it does not have some of the bass found in both the 5500 & 6500. As far as bass they both give you more the the RSL to my ears.
Thanks for the info: these are clones of the AW: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...diato--310-023

I wonder how the HF compares...

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off