• 1 Post By Smokey B
  • 2 Post By Smokey B

post #1 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Wharfedale Evo 4.4

Anyone in the Atlanta area know of a place to audition Wharfedale speakers? I'm tired of reading reviews and watching YouTube. Ready to gather my music, put on a mask, head to the showroom and listen to something. Was originally considering Monitor Audio because I really liked the sound of their bookshelf speakers when I was in that market awhile back. But open to anything in the same price range. I'd like a fuller sound than I'm getting from Martin Logan bookshelves but need a soundstage as good ....or better.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 560
For $75 return shipping on towers you could order them from Crutchfield and try them in home which is always best. May be worth it as not sure there are any dealers near you.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LRTVR4...-4-Walnut.html
post #3 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe

Thanks...saw other posts mentioning that option and, I guess, might consider it as a last resort. Just a big hassle and waste of $75 if I don't like them. I can get access to all my other interests locally, so if none of them wow me, I suppose ordering without hearing first is the best (only?) solution. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey B View Post
Thanks...saw other posts mentioning that option and, I guess, might consider it as a last resort. Just a big hassle and waste of $75 if I don't like them. I can get access to all my other interests locally, so if none of them wow me, I suppose ordering without hearing first is the best (only?) solution. Thanks again.
The main value of listening to speakers in a store is that it allows you to figure out what type of SOUND SIGNATURE (e.g. "bright? warm? neutral?") you prefer. But at the end of the day, there is simply NO SUBSTITUTE for an in-home audition.

Why not? Because: You never know if the salesperson is inept and/or dishonest (cough cough, Best Buy Magnolia), and how much effect the shop's room acoustics and chosen receiver/amp will have on how the speakers sound IN THE STORE vs how they will actually sound in YOUR home, on YOUR electronics---and most importantly, with YOUR room acoustics in play. Not to mention all the different variables concerning placement, subwoofers, subwoofer settings, receiver settings, etc. which can make a huge difference in your perception of the speaker you're hearing.

The hard reality is that a little bit of trial-and-error, i.e. possibly shipping a few speakers back, is simply a fact of life if you want to find what you really like.

PS. If you simply want a "fuller" sound than your MLs, the 4.2 might be plenty already---I am home auditioning a pair right now from Crutchfield and have turned off my two subs because they put out plenty for music. For HT of course you'd want a big ported sub with *any* speaker, towers included, at *any* price.
Vergiliusm likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 03:18 PM

PS. Crutchfield charges $75 flat rate return shipping for towers, but just $10 for bookshelves---which the 4.2 would qualify as.
sigpig likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, but...

Yours was one of the posts I saw the Crutchfield return fee mentioned. And it's a nice safety blanket knowing if speakers don't pass the final in-home test they can be sent back for $75. But that's not the best first step if other options exist.

I should have included in the initial post...these are for a 2.1 channel system. I pulled my music off the home theater specifically because I didn't like the sound with the ported sub.

Thanks!
post #7 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Anyone in the Atlanta area know of a place to audition Wharfedale [EVO 4.4]...originally considering Monitor Audio...
I don't know Atlanta, but spent time listening to the EVO 4.4-nice but a narrow sweet spot. We both indubitably preferred the Linton Heritage, ah such lovely sound all throughout the shop. On the custom stands, essentially a wide tower (just as tall as the EVO and DALI next to is). As for Monitor, the Silver 300 at Upscale Audio impressed the hell out of me by sounding great with everything EVEN Iron Maiden and live Motorhead. 99% of speakers turn to mush and distortion with heavy metal but the Monitors just blasted away. I had no idea how much detail of the roughness could be heard in No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith (if that makes any sense).

Regardless of my or others' opinions, @cocrh and @Zorba922 are correct, there's no place like home. Even $75 is cheap insurance against spending a few thousand one something you don't like. My friend would have hated to end up with those EVO 4.4 not returnable, we just did not like them though YMMV (he ordered the active Buchardt finally, felt the Silver 300 looked too plain and felt the Linton too large, he really wanted a pencil-thin tower from like 1980-something).
post #8 of 22 Old 06-26-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
I don't know Atlanta, but spent time listening to the EVO 4.4-nice but a narrow sweet spot. We both indubitably preferred the Linton Heritage, ah such lovely sound all throughout the shop. On the custom stands, essentially a wide tower (just as tall as the EVO and DALI next to is). My friend felt the Linton too large, he really wanted a pencil-thin tower from like 1980-something).
Yeah, I think I'd probably love the sound of the Lintons myself, but they would stick out like a sore thumb among all our Ikea-ish furniture.

post #9 of 22 Old 06-27-2020, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you end up listening to them, can you post your impressions? Thanks
post #10 of 22 Old 06-27-2020, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Would 4.4 be that much different from 4.2 for auditioning? Maybe audition the 4.2, then just buy the 4.4 if you like the 4.2
doctors11 and AlexLac like this.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-27-2020, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know

Quote:
As for Monitor, the Silver 300 at Upscale Audio impressed the hell out of me by sounding great with everything...

...he really wanted a pencil-thin tower from like 1980-something).

That's good info and reassuring. The MA Silver 300 is at the top of my list but I don't want to tunnel vision the decision. Thought it would serve me well to do a little research and listen to a few other options.

Funny...I have the pencil thin Polk RM7400T on my home theater (with sub, center and surrounds). I'm thinking once I buy something better for the 2.1 I'm going to want to get rid of the Polks.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
post #12 of 22 Old 06-27-2020, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvis View Post

Will do!
Darvis likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-27-2020, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
Would 4.4 be that much different from 4.2 for auditioning? Maybe audition the 4.2, then just buy the 4.4 if you like the 4.2
Cunning plan. I like it.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10188 Post(s)
Liked: 7219
Quote:
I don't know Atlanta, but spent time listening to the EVO 4.4-nice but a narrow sweet spot. We both indubitably preferred the Linton Heritage, ah such lovely sound all throughout the shop. On the custom stands, essentially a wide tower (just as tall as the EVO and DALI next to is). As for Monitor, the Silver 300 at Upscale Audio impressed the hell out of me by sounding great with everything EVEN Iron Maiden and live Motorhead. 99% of speakers turn to mush and distortion with heavy metal but the Monitors just blasted away. I had no idea how much detail of the roughness could be heard in No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith (if that makes any sense).

Regardless of my or others' opinions, @cocrh and @Zorba922 are correct, there's no place like home. Even $75 is cheap insurance against spending a few thousand one something you don't like. My friend would have hated to end up with those EVO 4.4 not returnable, we just did not like them though YMMV (he ordered the active Buchardt finally, felt the Silver 300 looked too plain and felt the Linton too large, he really wanted a pencil-thin tower from like 1980-something).
With stands the Lintons are $1500/pair.

Cheaper than the Silver 300s or Evo 4.4, same extension as the Evos and the MAs claim 32hz extension vs 40hz for the other two.

I love the old school look on those stands with a nice wood veneer, especially with the Red Mahogany finish.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 06-28-2020 at 11:13 AM.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-28-2020, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
With stands the Lintons are $1800/pair.

Cheaper than the Silver 300s or Evo 4.4, same extension as the Evos and the MAs claim 32hz extension vs 40hz for the other two.

I love the old school look on those stands with a nice wood veneer, especially with the Red Mahogany finish.
Er... "old school look, nice wood veneer, Red Mahogany finish." @gajCA , are you describing the speakers or your own looks?
post #16 of 22 Old 06-28-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
Er... "old school look, nice wood veneer, Red Mahogany finish." @gajCA , are you describing the speakers or your own looks?
NOTHING about me is stylish!

I have stylish "things" but my hair never looks "good," my clothes choices are mundane and I'm pretty easy going and not OCD when it comes to Audio and Video.

Those discussions about measurements and why "simple" measurements won't do, (tsk, tsk), room reflections, and why this can't sound good and that must sound bad make my eyes roll back in my head!

But yeah, to me those speakers look cool and I like stylish things despite having no style!

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 22 Old 06-28-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
With stands the Lintons are $1800/pair...same extension as the Evos and the MAs claim 32hz extension vs 40hz for the other two.
Did the price go up? It was $1500. As for the extension, you can't compare specs across different manufacturers. They all use different equipment on different physical setup, and their marketing departments exaggerate or even lie by varying amounts. (As a loudspeaker engineer I'll opine loudspeaker specs are 93.4% worthless). I find it more instructive to find actual measurements of the port tuning frequency, especially as the low frequency response will vary so much with the room.*
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
shows 39 Hz for the Linton.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
shows 38 Hz, measured the same way.

However back to the OP's statement, I don't know that either matches an IKEA aesthetic well; that pretty much calls for a light wood finish which neither offers. That might be more a province of Dynaudio speakers or DALI or others. Dynaudio stuff we listened to was nice but not quite as nice as the Linton or 300s. I've long admired the Dynaudio's consistent focus on clean transient response; however their tendency is towards 2.5 way but from an engineering point of view I feel a separate midrange is cleaner. The DALIs that we've heard versus Wharfedale Reva 4 (back in the day) and now EVO 4.4 and Lintons, well, we just didn't think the DALI were as good in the bass. YMMV.

*The -3 dB point worshipped so much is just a historical accident, as it was mathematically convenient for Richard Small while writing his thesis. Really the -6 or -10 dB points are more significant for extension in a room...again from actual measurements rather than manufacturer specifications.
Darvis and Vergiliusm like this.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-28-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Did the price go up? It was $1500.
My mistake, yes, $1500 with stands.

Well priced.

Geoff A. J., California
post #19 of 22 Old 06-30-2020, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Listening Session

For those still interested...the MA Silver 300s are available locally and I confirmed they're on hand and ready for me. I'm going to try and get in tomorrow or Thursday. Also found a Tannoy dealer. Might pop in there just to explore but I haven't called to see if they actually have anything in stock. Working on a demo list if anyone wants to make suggestions.
Darvis likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-30-2020, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
For those still interested...the MA Silver 300s are available locally and I confirmed they're on hand and ready for me. I'm going to try and get in tomorrow or Thursday. Also found a Tannoy dealer. Might pop in there just to explore but I haven't called to see if they actually have anything in stock. Working on a demo list if anyone wants to make suggestions.
Kef R5!
post #21 of 22 Old 07-04-2020, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

On the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvis View Post

Update: the MA Silver 300s are on the way. Found an 'open box' situation and saved a couple hundred. Plus, following Zorba922 and others logic, I can use the savings to send them back for $75 if they don't do it for me. I was able to listen locally but the conditions were less than ideal for comparison to my room (the showroom was a big open space and a $5K amp powered the speakers). The guy did offer to set them up in a small room with a more reasonable amp for a return visit but the open box savings and $75 return insurance just made the most sense. From what I did hear there was nothing offensive. In the open room the bass had a solid presence, highs were crisp, mids were nice (that seems to be the big common comment among listeners). So, now I wait for delivery.
Darvis and Zorba922 like this.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-04-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Update: the MA Silver 300s are on the way. Found an 'open box' situation and saved a couple hundred. Plus, following Zorba922 and others logic, I can use the savings to send them back for $75 if they don't do it for me. I was able to listen locally but the conditions were less than ideal for comparison to my room (the showroom was a big open space and a $5K amp powered the speakers). The guy did offer to set them up in a small room with a more reasonable amp for a return visit but the open box savings and $75 return insurance just made the most sense. From what I did hear there was nothing offensive. In the open room the bass had a solid presence, highs were crisp, mids were nice (that seems to be the big common comment among listeners). So, now I wait for delivery.
Might be interesting to compare them with the Evo 4.2 which would be only $10 to ship back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page