Balcony theater - Looking for in-ceiling/in-wall recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1

post #1 of 10 Old 06-27-2020, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Balcony theater - Looking for in-ceiling/in-wall recommendations

I'd like to get some opinions and recommendations on what I'm about to do. I'm going to add a balcony to this loft area, mount an in-floor projector to the wall across the room and have it come up in front of the windows.

What speakers and sub(s) should I get?

I'm a newb and I'd appreciate opinions and second opinions. I have been happy with a Sonos soundbar/sub/2 Play3 setup. I want this new setup to be cool but not exactly sure what my budget is. I may hit the point of diminishing returns on the coolness factor pretty quickly with the high end stuff.

From what I've read, sound reflection could be more important than the speakers themselves and this room does have a lot of glass.

I would prefer everything related to the home theater system in wall or in ceiling. I don't know how many speakers or subs that would be or where they would be located. The rest of the house is going to be roughed in for Sonance 6.5" speakers.

Picture of the space attached. The screen wall to the balcony is about 20'. The screen wall is about 18' wide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	projectoraddition.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	2749994  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-27-2020, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
Revel is my top pick for architectural type speakers.

They have different lines to suit your budget, and come all the way up to 9” woofers down to 5.25” woofers for surrounds or mains or whatever in between.

They have a neutral sound which most people prefer and is non fatiguing for long listening periods. Speakers that measure neutral or flat generally will sound fine in any room you place them in, even if they are highly reflective.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-28-2020, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Before I dive into speaker options I have questions regarding the build.

Are planning to close in that space? It’s 18’ wide so traditional lumber won’t span that distance.

Is your goal just one seating area in the “balcony”?

Do you plan on using this space during the daylight hours? Those big windows will need shades.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-29-2020, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

There will be one step down to the balcony landing. The couch back would be against a short approx. 4' half wall but other than that the whole loft area would remain open.

Just one seating area. I'm not sure what it would be like watching from the first floor looking up or behind the main strip of seating. It would be nice is there was another potential area to watch from but I doubt it.

Most of the direct light will be coming from the right side of the house. I was kind of planning on using it only when it's nearly dark out.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Will there be a flat ceiling or will it be vaulted following the roof line?

I ask this because where will the speakers be installed?

Now you can drop pole mounts from the ceiling if it remains vaulted with the roof line.

Mike Miles
[email protected]

Last edited by mmiles; 06-30-2020 at 12:35 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Subwoofers. Yes, plural.
You have a huge volume to pressurize. Your "room" opens up into the entire first floor.
IMHO you will need, at the minimum, a pair of Hsu VTF-3 Mk V subwoofers placed near-field in order to have any bass. You will probably require some if the 18" monster subwoofers from JTR, PowerSound Audio, or Rhythmik. (Yes, I am fully aware of DSS and Funk with their 24" offerings. Same with DIY subs).

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Will there be a flat ceiling or will it be vaulted following the roof line?

I ask this because where will the speakers be installed?

Now you can drop pole mounts from the ceiling if it remains vaulted with the roof line.
Oops my original post was deleted when I tried to quote myself. Maybe I hit edit.

Previously I asked have you priced your project because it will be expensive to do correctly.

14-16’ motorized screen, if masking CIH, = $
High lumen projector that has a 1.5 - 2.5 throw = $
Powered shades = $ (suggested for light bounce and bright moon nights)
Custom mounting
Service access for future

Do you have another room you can use?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

>Previously I asked have you priced your project because it will be expensive to do correctly.
I priced parts. Yes the screen was much more expensive than expected. I couldn't find a swing arm like the photo shows but I'm now considering a recessed floor model mounted above the door something like: (I couldn't post a link due to rules but I was trying to link to a Da-lite Ascender Electrol)

>High lumen projector that has a 1.5 - 2.5 throw = $
Do you think an ultra short throw would work directly in front of the screen on a platform of some sort? I don't know how that would work when not in use or maybe there is a way to tuck it away neatly. There is a wall that starts right at about the spot the photo (attached in first post) was taken. The wall divides the loft in half and goes all the way to the peak of the cathedral ceiling. I thought a projector would work in a nook or on a platform mounting it up high.

>Do you have another room you can use?
I think I'm pretty set on doing it here. The "balcony" was just built today. It's a small house so any other spot would have other challenges.

>a pair of Hsu VTF-3 Mk V subwoofers
I googled those, so that's something that would sit on the floor? Trying to hide everything in wall. If it's not possible, then it's not possible.

>Will there be a flat ceiling or will it be vaulted following the roof line? I ask this because where will the speakers be installed?
It's vaulted. Does that not work well with recessed speakers? I thought I'd just put 4 - 6 in the ceiling, I don't know
post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyout View Post
>Previously I asked have you priced your project because it will be expensive to do correctly.
I priced parts. Yes the screen was much more expensive than expected. I couldn't find a swing arm like the photo shows but I'm now considering a recessed floor model mounted above the door something like: (I couldn't post a link due to rules but I was trying to link to a Da-lite Ascender Electrol)

>High lumen projector that has a 1.5 - 2.5 throw = $
Do you think an ultra short throw would work directly in front of the screen on a platform of some sort? I don't know how that would work when not in use or maybe there is a way to tuck it away neatly. There is a wall that starts right at about the spot the photo (attached in first post) was taken. The wall divides the loft in half and goes all the way to the peak of the cathedral ceiling. I thought a projector would work in a nook or on a platform mounting it up high.

>Do you have another room you can use?
I think I'm pretty set on doing it here. The "balcony" was just built today. It's a small house so any other spot would have other challenges.

I googled those, so that's something that would sit on the floor? Trying to hide everything in wall. If it's not possible, then it's not possible.

>Will there be a flat ceiling or will it be vaulted following the roof line? I ask this because where will the speakers be installed?
It's vaulted. Does that not work well with recessed speakers? I thought I'd just put 4 - 6 in the ceiling, I don't know
Perhaps I'm not following your intent or understand the picture you posted as to the desired layout.

The screen you suggest comes up from the floor. There is no floor.

Short throw projectors are where the unit is 6-12" in front of the screen. The models I've seen are normally max 100" diag 16:9 images. That will look small sitting 20+ feet away on the "balcony".

You could mount the RIGHT projector 30 feet away but it will be expensive.

If the ceiling angle remains constant as in your photo you have to aim the speakers the other way toward the seating. Surrounds have to be behind the seating just a touch (90 - 120 degrees, I like 100 degrees).

Subs will have to put beside or behind you since there is no floor in front of you.

Where are you located?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #10 of 10 Old 07-01-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyout View Post
It's possible, but it will cost $$$ for anything you can buy commercially.
If you're willing to BUILD hidden subwoofers, then all options are open.
I have read of people building refrigerator-sized (and larger!) subs placed in their attic and firing into the room from above. There are those who do the same, but with the sub in a storage room.
Another solution if you simply cannot have big subs in the room is a BOSS riser - think of a hoverboard under your sofa powered by sound. It will give you the tactile FEEL of the bass without too much sound.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page