Help me with my L / C /R speaker upgrade! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yeah on sale it's a screaming bargain.

It's $315 on Amazon right now, a fair price IMO.
That infinity center is very appealing.
I think of all these products it jumps out at me the most.

I found klippel and dispersion measurements, and the results on this are pretty impressive. And I love the look of it.

I would have to get a new tv stand to accommodate it, but would with the Emotiva C1 as well.

I like different things about several of the tower choices.
It seems like for movies I should stick with towers?

The Polk towers have huge cone area for midbass and can be bi-amped (have 2 unused channels). 6.5inch mid, front port. But some describe bass as muddy and tweeter as bright. I wonder if either of those would improve with the extra power. The matching center seems meh and 2 way.

The Emotiva T1 has the ribbon tweeter, also bi amp-able (how much does this really matter?) But smaller drivers.

I can go demo the Polks but that looks to be it.

The Chanes seem like the best value overall, and I really like the look of them. But not bi amp capable and they'd put me over budget. Also not sure if I can wait all summer for the center. Maybe I'll hold out for the pricing on the 700 series.

I wonder if the infinity center would go well with the Emotiva T1 towers.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9657 Post(s)
Liked: 7472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post
It seems like for movies I should stick with towers?
I wonder if the infinity center would go well with the Emotiva T1 towers.
No, with movies it's your sub(s) that's doing all the heavy lifting...bookshelves are perfectly fine; if you want the extra headroom/dynamics of towers you can go with dual-woofer bookshelves like the Ascend 340SE, Chane A2.4, Hsu HC-1 or even the Emotiva C1 which can be used vertically.

In fact, 3 x C1s would be the best bang for your buck at $750 shipped.

But the Infinity center would go well with ANY speakers..."timbre matching" by brand is nothing more than a sales myth.
philpoe and ifixtheinternet like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #33 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Passive bi-amping achieves absolutely nothing but wasting speaker wire and amp channels.
Lp85253 likes this.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 06-30-2020, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I'm thinking the Infinity RC263 with either the Chane A5.5 or Emotiva T1s. Man that sale they just had on the Infinity was crazy good. Can't believe I just missed that.
And the Chane A2.4 just went out of stock.

Why didn't I decide this 3 weeks ago?!

post #35 of 41 Old 07-01-2020, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked: 2400
Quote:
Right now I'm thinking the Infinity RC263 with either the Chane A5.5 or Emotiva T1s. Man that sale they just had on the Infinity was crazy good. Can't believe I just missed that.
And the Chane A2.4 just went out of stock.

Why didn't I decide this 3 weeks ago?!

the emo t1+'s are a good choice .. and historically are in stock more than Chane.. although neither has a true in house upgrade path.. Chane has been promising an upgraded line(s) for a while now, and i'm sure it will come to pass at some point , but for present day upgraders it isn't much help..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #36 of 41 Old 07-01-2020, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Do I really need towers now that I have a more than capable sub? I can't find much info on towers with sub vs bookshelves with sub. I cross the mains at 80hz for movies and music.

I hear good towers sound better full range, at least with music. if that's the case then I want that capability.

The towers are often not much more than their equivalent bookshelves, the Chane A5.5 vs bookshelf for example.

Also, my UM18 is not so great with midbass.
I like the idea of larger drivers for that midbass impact.

I'm even starting to consider not getting a center channel for now, since I always sit in the sweet spot for movies and active listening, and I'm hearing great things about what a phantom Center can be with good speakers.

post #37 of 41 Old 07-01-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do I really need towers now that I have a more than capable sub? I can't find much info on towers with sub vs bookshelves with sub. I cross the mains at 80hz for movies and music.

I hear good towers sound better full range, at least with music. if that's the case then I want that capability.

The towers are often not much more than their equivalent bookshelves, the Chane A5.5 vs bookshelf for example.

Also, my UM18 is not so great with midbass.
I like the idea of larger drivers for that midbass impact.

I'm even starting to consider not getting a center channel for now, since I always sit in the sweet spot for movies and active listening, and I'm hearing great things about what a phantom Center can be with good speakers.

no you don't "need" towers.. a good sub(s) covers most dynamics.. the chane a2.4 is a nice dynamic speaker by all accounts ...towers aren't any better in anything but overall dynamics and full range f.r. ...... and subs pretty much cover up the difference.. books usually image better , so they do have their own advantages..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #38 of 41 Old 07-01-2020, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
no you don't "need" towers.. a good sub(s) covers most dynamics.. the chane a2.4 is a nice dynamic speaker by all accounts ...towers aren't any better in anything but overall dynamics and full range f.r. ...... and subs pretty much cover up the difference.. books usually image better , so they do have their own advantages..
I'm thinking a pair of the new Chane 752s flanking the DLP would produce some serious imaging.

Quad 8" drivers sound enticing for that midbass impact.

Jon emailed me approximate pricing and it's an option for me.

Lp85253 likes this.
post #39 of 41 Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm thinking a pair of the new Chane 752s flanking the DLP would produce some serious imaging.

Quad 8" drivers sound enticing for that midbass impact.

Jon emailed me approximate pricing and it's an option for me.

sounds like a good option , i guess they will be out soon..

post #40 of 41 Old 07-10-2020, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Welp, made my decision today.
I'm going all out and building 3 of the Elusive 1099s from Diy sound group.

I want a reference level theater experience, and these will get me there easily.

The wife approved so I ordered them before she could change her mind!

Zorba922, sigpig and cocrh like this.
post #41 of 41 Old 07-10-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Excellent choice!! Will be fun for you to build and then even more fun to listen too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page