Help me with my L / C /R speaker upgrade! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 06-27-2020, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Help me with my L / C /R speaker upgrade!

I've wanted great speakers for my HT system for quite some time. Enjoying music, movies and games remain among my favorite things.

Not too long ago, I decided to take the plunge and build a sealed Dayton UM18 and mate it with a crown XLS-2500.

My room is about 1700 cubic feet, so I definitely have bass covered. It feels weird to say my speakers can't keep up with my subwoofer, but it's finally true!

I was already looking at a center channel upgrade, but they should match so I'm finally going to do the big 3.

Current setup:

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646 (Atmos / DTS:X / 5.1.2 capable)
Sub: Sealed UM18 / Crown XLS-2500
Towers: Sony SS-F7000P
Center: Matching Sony Center
Surrounds: Polk Audio T15

Movies 50% Games 25% Music 25%

For now it's 5.1.
I have a 67" DLP and MLP is 12 feet from the entertainment center.

My budget is $1000.

The Center will be going on a shelf under the TV.
Several I have been looking at are too large for the shelf (8.25" tall). I may have to change out the stand to accommodate a larger Center and that is acceptable.

My first decision is should I get towers or get bookshelves?
Now that I have a more than capable sub I am not sure if I still need towers.

The setup of the room demands that the front 3 speakers cannot be more than about 12" off the back wall, so I believe than means no rear ported speakers?

My 2nd decision is should I buy or build.
I've got my feet wet with building a UM18 so I'm considering a speaker kit that I can build. However, I've not really found a matching kit with towers + center or bookshelfs + center.

I am not planning external amplification anytime soon, so efficient speakers are preferred.

If I were to go retail, my consideration at the moment:

Emotiva C1 / T1 tower combo / Bookshelf combo
(Towers may not work well close to wall?)

Infinity RC263 center + REFERENCE 253 towers / 162 bookshelves?

Is it a no brainier that if I'm willing to build the speakers that I should?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ifixtheinternet; 06-27-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-27-2020, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9607 Post(s)
Liked: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post

Emotiva C1 / T1 tower combo / Bookshelf combo
(Towers may not work well close to wall?)
Since you seem quite concerned with the wall, you might want to consider doing 3 x Emotiva C1 since it's a sealed speaker, and according to Emotiva would work fine as vertical L/R for an identical front stage.

I have no idea what $750 would buy you in the DIY world in comparison.

Another option might be 3 x NHT C3 from Amazon at just under $1K, these are 3-way sealed cabinet bookshelves with 6.5" woofers.
ifixtheinternet likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 41 Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Chane A2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
You can come in well under budget if you can take advantage of some of the Jamo sales on Slickdeals/Adorama. The prices are very low.
The S 803 bookshelves, S 807 and S 809 towers are all front-ported if that helps. The bookshelves are not as sensitive (87db) as the towers (90db).
If they're suitable, they can free up money for the center.
The Infinity RC263 at its sale price is hard to beat, but not at full price.
The C1+ is probably the way to go unless you build.
If you want efficient, the BIC Formula and Acoustech towers claim 96-98dbdb and have front ports or radiators. Venturi towers 90db with radiators.
Formula bookshelf has large rear port, so is probably not suitable.

Quote:
I've wanted great speakers for my HT system for quite some time. Enjoying music, movies and games remain among my favorite things.
Not too long ago, I decided to take the plunge and build a sealed Dayton UM18 and mate it with a crown XLS-2500.
My room is about 1700 cubic feet, so I definitely have bass covered. It feels weird to say my speakers can't keep up with my subwoofer, but it's finally true!
I was already looking at a center channel upgrade, but they should match so I'm finally going to do the big 3.
post #5 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
Chane A2.4
Yeah I've been looking at chane too.
They're sold out until at least late summer it looks like.
I'm also a bit confused about the dimensions of that center.
It's listed as 12" tall with 5.5 drivers, but the proportions don't look that way.

Also, many claim you need a 3 way center, so that's I was looking for. What about the Chane makes it acceptable without a midrange?

post #6 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
It's listed as 12" tall with 5.5 drivers, but the proportions don't look that way.

Also, many claim you need a 3 way center, so that's I was looking for. What about the Chane makes it acceptable without a midrange?
No, that's the size of the BOX it ships in, not the actual SPEAKER. Chane really needs to fix that confusing spec, because you're far from the first to ask about it. Actual height is under 8" --- I know because I have it.

Yes even though it's 2-way, it works very well with proper positioning. Laid on its side, you have to be sure the tweeter is at ear level or pointed at ear level. In my case, tilting it upwards opened it up hugely. Otherwise it's as detailed/dynamic as you could want.

I didn't mention the A2.4 because it went out stock a couple weeks ago and in the past, that could mean several months of waiting for it get restocked...in fact that is how I came to discover Emotiva: I got impatient after waiting over 6 months and just ordered the C1!

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Since you seem quite concerned with the wall, you might want to consider doing 3 x Emotiva C1 since it's a sealed speaker, and according to Emotiva would work fine as vertical L/R for an identical front stage.

Another option might be 3 x NHT C3 from Amazon at just under $1K, these are 3-way sealed cabinet bookshelves with 6.5" woofers.
Yeah 3 C1s sound like a good option.
And thanks for replying to both threads.
I thought I should start a new one since the upgrade questions were sort of off- topic.

The NHT look very interesting.
Several mentions of needing a big room though, and I wouldn't call my room big. Maybe I'll have to talk with them about it.

Zorba922 likes this.
post #8 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
You can come in well under budget if you can take advantage of some of the Jamo sales on Slickdeals/Adorama. The prices are very low.

The S 803 bookshelves, S 807 and S 809 towers are all front-ported if that helps. The bookshelves are not as sensitive (87db) as the towers (90db).

If they're suitable, they can free up money for the center.

The Infinity RC263 at its sale price is hard to beat, but not at full price.

The C1+ is probably the way to go unless you build.

If you want efficient, the BIC Formula and Acoustech towers claim 96-98dbdb and have front ports or radiators. Venturi towers 90db with radiators.

Formula bookshelf has large rear port, so is probably not suitable.
Thanks for the suggestions, will look into these.
Amazon has the RC263 for 315, is that the sale price?

You don't seem shy about suggesting mismatched center / bookshelfs or towers, why is that?

I have accuEQ room correction and manual EQ, and found even matching Sony's needed much correction to bring them into line with each other. Does that eliminate the problems of not having matching speakers?

post #9 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You should sign up for their news letter, they have their new 700 series dropping soon, After they drop their new subs.

https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...ane-700-series
post #10 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
You should sign up for their news letter, they have their new 700 series dropping soon, After they drop their new subs.

https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...ane-700-series
Holy crap!!!
A center with dual 8" mids? Yes please!!!

Okay now that I've got that out of the way.
I really wonder if my Onkyo will be enough to power that beast.

post #11 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Holy crap!!!

Okay now that I've got that out of the way.

Yeah it should, the sensitivity on the 700 series should be pretty good. What level do you listen to?
post #12 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
Quote:
You don't seem shy about suggesting mismatched center / bookshelfs or towers, why is that?

I have accuEQ room correction and manual EQ, and found even matching Sony's needed much correction to bring them into line with each other. Does that eliminate the problems of not having matching speakers?
The CC speaker doesn't need to "match" the L/R's in terms of manufacturer or series, but it's helpful if they all match sonically. In fact, often a horizontal CC won't sonically match a vertical L/R even if the same manufacturer makes both of them, and says they are a "timbre-match." Using a 3rd identical speaker in the CC position, with all 3 aligned vertically at ear level is the best way to ensure a good sonic match. Short of a 3rd identical speaker, using a CC with the same sound signature as the L/R's is the next best option.

Having a CC that sounds the same as the L/R's makes the front soundstage more cohesive and integrated. Sounds that move across the front soundstage won't change timbre as they move from one speaker to another. It may be difficult to find a good sonic match, and some trial and error may be necessary. If you can find on- and off-axis measurements of the CC and L/R's and you can match up their measurements, that can avoid some obvious mis-matches, but those measurements are often hard to come by.

Of course, you're free to mix and match whatever CC you like with whatever L/R's you like. However, timbre-matching the front soundstage is a "best practice" and can yield noticeable, beneficial results.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)

Last edited by craig john; 06-28-2020 at 09:12 AM.
post #13 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Harmanaudio.com and infinityspeakers.com independently have them for < $200 from time to time. You can check expired deals on slickdeals.net to see what to expect. Just search for "RC263" (or whatever speaker you're interested in).

Regarding mismatched speakers up front, my personal experience tells me "why not?". My current belief is that as long as the woofers can keep up and produce similar volume/sound, the difference in tweeters doesn't really matter.
I had the chance to experiment with several speaker sets, ranging from a 25yr old surround set, a 10yr old Craigslist find, and a new set on holiday sale in its return window.
While the L/Rs all sounded different, they were all "good enough", and even if I mixed/matched the centers, including a dual-bookshelf in series, when I watched TV or a movie, there was no jarring discrepancy.
If there was, I'd have prioritized the center channel, and lived with whatever was the closest until I could upgrade them.
I tried to compare sensitivity (though that's not necessarily dependent on the woofers), and frequency response charts. If they weren't terribly far apart, I considered it.
I wouldn't try a center with 4" drivers up against L/R with 8" drivers, but I'd consider 5.25" center vs 6.5" L/R.
Going the other way, I considered 8" woofers on the center vs smaller 5.25" woofers L/R, but I never got that far.

IMHO, surrounds are even less important to match. They're not for clear dialog or to carry full-range sounds. They're for immersive effect. I made no consideration to match the front speakers.
In my case, seating dictated the choices, as it's a sectional sofa right up against a rear and side wall. Normal bookshelves were too big.
I found what I thought was the most capable speaker that could fit in the corner. Yet another brand/model. No complaints about sound, but the person sitting in the corner has a speaker right on top of them.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, will look into these.
Amazon has the RC263 for 315, is that the sale price?

Zorba922 likes this.
post #14 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Something like that already exists if interested
https://bicamerica.com/product/acous...annel-speaker/
Super sensitive as well (98db), so should be easy to drive

Quote:
Holy crap!!!
post #15 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:

i would suggest that 3 emotiva c1's across the front might end up problematic in certain instances .. the tweeter doesn't look to be "rotatable" so as to maximize vertical/ horizontal dispersion to avoid floor/ ceiling bounce.. i'd grab a pair myself if i thought they'd be a great l/r option..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #16 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i would suggest that 3 emotiva c1's across the front might end up problematic in certain instances .. the tweeter doesn't look to be "rotatable" so as to maximize vertical/ horizontal dispersion to avoid floor/ ceiling bounce.. i'd grab a pair myself if i thought they'd be a great l/r option..
Actually I emailed Emotiva directly to ask about that a few weeks ago. This was their reply:

Quote:
They can be used vertically with no issues. You will have a slightly more directional response above 8-10k, but just toe them in a little bit. They work great as LCR's!
So really, at $500/pr shipped, they are hard to resist if you have a sub in play.
Lp85253 and sigpig like this.

post #17 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually I emailed Emotiva directly to ask about that a few weeks ago. This was their reply:

So really, at $500/pr shipped, they are hard to resist if you have a sub in play.
interesting .. i'd like to get a 3rd party opinion (like @PhilharmonicDennis ) to chime in here .. he's worked with that tweeter a bit..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #18 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
interesting .. i'd like to get a 3rd party opinion (like @PhilharmonicDennis ) to chime in here .. he's worked with that tweeter a bit..
Has he played with the C1 though? It's a 3 way vs the 2 way B1, probably has a different crossover, plus the dual woofers vs single, plus sealed vs rear ported. Not sure how transferable his knowledge of the B1 would be to the C1, but I'd be curious too...
Lp85253 likes this.

post #19 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has he played with the C1 though? It's a 3 way vs the 2 way B1, probably has a different crossover, plus the dual woofers vs single, plus sealed vs rear ported. Not sure how transferable his knowledge of the B1 would be to the C1, but I'd be curious too...
i was just thinking in reference to the directional issues brought about by the tweeter .. the amt afaik is very limited vertically (to avoid ceiling/ floor bounce) and very wide horizontally to avoid the "head in a vice" problem..edit: i would think the clarity on the c1+ would be better than the b1(+) because of the 3 way set up and the added crossover that might avoid the woofer(s) being stretched too far in f.r. ..... pure speculation on my part ..

Last edited by Lp85253; 06-28-2020 at 11:48 AM.
post #20 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
i was just thinking in reference to the directional issues brought about by the tweeter .. the amt afaik is very limited vertically (to avoid ceiling/ floor bounce) and very wide horizontally to avoid the "head in a vice" problem..edit: i would think the clarity on the c1+ would be better than the b1(+) because of the 3 way set up and the added crossover that might avoid the woofer(s) being stretched too far in f.r. ..... pure speculation on my part ..
Hence Emotiva's advice to toe-in a vertical C1 ... I think having a "small sweet spot" is not a big deal if it's just going to be you and maybe one other person sitting in the sweet spot anyhow.

I mean, how many of us really host large viewing parties on a regular basis?

post #21 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hence Emotiva's advice to toe-in a vertical C1 ... I think having a "small sweet spot" is not a big deal if it's just going to be you and maybe one other person sitting in the sweet spot anyhow.

I mean, how many of us really host large viewing parties on a regular basis?
i was more referring to added floor/ ceiling bounce in an untreated room, but point taken, it could be a small issue(that's why i was thinking that a 3rd party opinion would be helpful , i certainly don't have answers)...i'm actually tempted to do the c1+ as l/r ...

post #22 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
i was more referring to added floor/ ceiling bounce in an untreated room, but point taken, it could be a small issue(that's why i was thinking that a 3rd party opinion would be helpful , i certainly don't have answers)...i'm actually tempted to do the c1+ as l/r ...
yeah if I were still in the smallish LR of my last place and didn't already have the BMRs (or Evos) I would have definitely given that a spin had I known it's possible.

Wish Emotiva had made that tweeter rotatable, though. Guess it'd have to be a square instead of rectangular tweeter for that to even be possible, so that would have to be a custom in-house AMT which would probably cost a pretty penny.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #23 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yeah if I were still in the smallish LR of my last place and didn't already have the BMRs (or Evos) I would have definitely given that a spin had I known it's possible.

Wish Emotiva had made that tweeter rotatable, though. Guess it'd have to be a square instead of rectangular tweeter for that to even be possible, so that would have to be a custom in-house AMT which would probably cost a pretty penny.
that would be my thought , but i don't know for sure .. it's a shame Emotiva doesn't frequent the emo threads here.. i figured Dennis would be the "go to" guy for accurate info on what he remembers about the emo amt ...i kind of think the c1+ would work for me as l/r .. but seeing as they don't do free returns , i don't want to chance a $100+ return on a $500 investment ..

post #24 of 41 Old 06-28-2020, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

A good friend of mine mentioned the Polk Audio RTi A7 towers and CSI A6 Center, he has been very pleased with them.

Currently they're on sale on Crutchfield for 299 and 199 respectively, making the package 800+tax, normally 1300 for the set. Says he's never seen them this cheap before and I should jump on it.

They seem to have a lot of the things I'm looking for.
Sensitive, front ported towers, 6.5 mids on the center.

Does this deal make them a good choice?

Last edited by ifixtheinternet; 06-28-2020 at 05:48 PM.
post #25 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No, that's the size of the BOX it ships in, not the actual SPEAKER. Chane really needs to fix that confusing spec, because you're far from the first to ask about it. Actual height is under 8" --- I know because I have it.

Yes even though it's 2-way, it works very well with proper positioning. Laid on its side, you have to be sure the tweeter is at ear level or pointed at ear level. In my case, tilting it upwards opened it up hugely. Otherwise it's as detailed/dynamic as you could want.

I didn't mention the A2.4 because it went out stock a couple weeks ago and in the past, that could mean several months of waiting for it get restocked...in fact that is how I came to discover Emotiva: I got impatient after waiting over 6 months and just ordered the C1!
Chane sounds like what I want.

They are reported as easy to drive, and from what I'm finding, about the best value available right now.

An A2.4 and 2 A5.5 are definitely over my budget, but I could stretch it a bit. The A5.5 is rear ported but I plan on running them above 70hz-80hz.

Maybe I'd be better off with the bookshelves?

I can imagine the new 700 or L series will only be more expensive, and I'm wondering if the 700 series would be too much for the space they'll be in anyway. According to Chane they will be similar tonally just with increased output.

I see they are offering $80 off pair of the A5.5, anyone know what the package deals are usually like?

post #26 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked: 2827
Quote:
A good friend of mine mentioned the Polk Audio RTi A7 towers and CSI A6 Center, he has been very pleased with them.

Currently they're on sale on Crutchfield for 299 and 199 respectively, making the package 800+tax, normally 1300 for the set. Says he's never seen them this cheap before and I should jump on it.

I think that's a good deal. They look great with real wood veneer. If for some reason you don't like them it won't cost a ton of money to send them back.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, LG 82UN8570
post #27 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Crutchfield does give you a $75/pr flat rate return policy on towers, and $10 on bookshelves or centers...so that helps.

The RTi-A7 seems to be mostly well regarded, though a few people find them on the "bright" side (which might be ok for HT actually) and needing lots of power to sound their best. The CSiA6 is so-so, not too many complaints unlike Polk's CS1/2/10/20 centers, but nobody buys them who does not already own Polk, which tells you a lot.

For your usage I'd take the JBL Studio 580 (on sale for $300 each with free return shipping from jbl.com) but with a mismatched center like the Emotiva C1 or C2 center. Of course you could try the "matching" Studio 520C too, currently on sale for $150, and ship it back on JBL's dime if you don't like it...seems to be a 50% approval rate by folks who've had it.

post #28 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Chane sounds like what I want.

They are reported as easy to drive, and from what I'm finding, about the best value available right now.

An A2.4 and 2 A5.5 are definitely over my budget, but I could stretch it a bit. The A5.5 is rear ported but I plan on running them above 70hz-80hz.

Maybe I'd be better off with the bookshelves?

I see they are offering $80 off pair of the A5.5, anyone know what the package deals are usually like?
3 x Chane A2.4 would be your best bang for the buck from Chane, unfortunately they just went out of stock and god knows when they'll be back. You should post and ask on the Chane Owner's Thread, you'll get lots of inside responses.

You could just get a pair of the A5.5 and do without a center for a while...some people actually prefer this "phantom center" mode. Or get a good mismatched center.

post #29 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
3 x Chane A2.4 would be your best bang for the buck from Chane, unfortunately they just went out of stock and god knows when they'll be back. You should post and ask on the Chane Owner's Thread, you'll get lots of inside responses.

You could just get a pair of the A5.5 and do without a center for a while...some people actually prefer this "phantom center" mode. Or get a good mismatched center.
I've had great luck with my Infinity RC263, pretty neutral for matching. Clear dialogue.

Can be had for less than $175 on sale, if it comes bk into stock.
post #30 of 41 Old 06-29-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWhitcombe3 View Post
I've had great luck with my Infinity RC263, pretty neutral for matching. Clear dialogue.

Can be had for less than $175 on sale, if it comes bk into stock.
Yeah on sale it's a screaming bargain.

It's $315 on Amazon right now, a fair price IMO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page