Ceiling speaker placement for Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 4 Old 06-28-2020, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ceiling speaker placement for Atmos

I already posted this in another sub forum, but after 2 days almost 70 views and no responses, I thought I'd try here. If thats wrong, I'm sorry. Being the speaker forum, I'll add that front stage is Infinity RS6 and CC3, rear is RS3 and rear back surrounds are HTIB Onkyo garbage. Sub is a BIC F12. Here's my original post.

I'm going from 7.1 with near optimal speaker placement, to a 5.1.4 Atmos thats going to have to compromise and I'm wondering if I should. The room was a 10x10 basement bedroom that a previous owner removed the back wall so its open into the basement. I have a staircase that lands between the Right Surround and the Right Back Surround and the traffic runs right to left behind the couch to the laundry room. All of the Dolby placement guides show pulling the R/L surrounds back behind the listening area, spread equal to the fronts, with the Atmos ceiling speaker between the listener and the surrounds. I can't do that. You'd walk directly into the surround coming down the stairs on the right and the left would block the laundry room. Do you think the room correction software on the Pioneer VSX-LX303 will let me keep my rear surrounds a foot behind the couch with the ceiling speakers even/just behind them? Long story short, can I expect impressive Atmos performance from a speaker placement of Dolby's 7.1.4 diagram without the back surrounds, or should I keep my 7.1 and just add the 2 Atmos speakers in the front and go 7.1.2. Thanks for your time and input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-30-2020, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Gear Guy View Post
Do you think the room correction software on the Pioneer VSX-LX303 will let me keep my rear surrounds a foot behind the couch with the ceiling speakers even/just behind them? Long story short, can I expect impressive Atmos performance from a speaker placement of Dolby's 7.1.4 diagram without the back surrounds, or should I keep my 7.1 and just add the 2 Atmos speakers in the front and go 7.1.2. Thanks for your time and input.
Unless I'm envisioning this incorrectly, it sounds like you would end up with what is already the Dolby 5.x.4 setup, or something reasonably close, no?

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...r-setup-guide/

Even if the sides were closer to 90 degrees, I think you'll likely be O.K. I do have a 7.2.4 setup, but often run in 5.2.0 - which leaves the sides in the 7.2.4 physical location (and mine are even a bit forward of the MLP) - and it still sounds excellent. Maybe not AS good as if it were a "properly" placed 5.2.4, but still delivers a convincing performance as far as sound location goes.

I think you'll have a better experience with a 5.x.4, vs. a 7.x.2, just my opinion, but do try to land the ceiling speakers as close to the Dolby recommendations as you can. Being that the placements for a x.x.2 and x.x.4 are quite different, hard to experiment without leaving at least 2 big holes in the ceiling, unless you do on-ceilings, then maybe small holes. Otherwise, I'd say experiment with it.

The receiver will EQ the speakers based on their physical location of course, but it won't work magic as far as sound placement, right? Two different things. The algorithms do operate off of certain assumptions, like proper speaker placement, so you do want to be reasonably close, doesn't need to be dead perfect. I mean, easy enough to test - just leave the sides where you need to, turn off the rears, and push 5.1 material to them....how does it sound? The right and left side surrounds do not need to be placed in a spread equal to the fronts by the way, which I think you indicated in part of what I did not quote.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 4 Old 06-30-2020, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Unless I'm envisioning this incorrectly, it sounds like you would end up with what is already the Dolby 5.x.4 setup, or something reasonably close, no?

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/...r-setup-guide/
Thanks for the response, I may be overthinking it, but, cutting holes there's no (easy) going back. I know it would be easier to post pics, but unfortunately after 4 months of quarantine, my teenagers have rendered the space unworthy of posting. It's a mess. On the link you posted, the cutaway side view gives me something to illustrate. In my installation, the rear surrounds (#5) will be mounted directly behind the couch, so the overhead rears will be behind the surrounds. My basement stairs end where the rear surrounds in that illustration are placed so I can't put them any further back. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Gear Guy View Post
Thanks for the response, I may be overthinking it, but, cutting holes there's no (easy) going back. I know it would be easier to post pics, but unfortunately after 4 months of quarantine, my teenagers have rendered the space unworthy of posting. It's a mess. On the link you posted, the cutaway side view gives me something to illustrate. In my installation, the rear surrounds (#5) will be mounted directly behind the couch, so the overhead rears will be behind the surrounds. My basement stairs end where the rear surrounds in that illustration are placed so I can't put them any further back. Thanks again.

I'm not sure why Dolby shows those two views like that, as the side view and the overheard view are obviously different. I think it's more to illustrate and emphasize the placement of the overheads relative to the listener. Yeah, that's partially O.K. at least. Overhead rears behind the side surrounds are fine. I don't know if I'd put them behind rear surrounds. Mine are quite similar to the overhead diagram shown for 7.1.4, just a bit forward of the rears. Seems to work just fine! I think you're calling rear surrounds what I'm calling side surrounds for your case, throw in those setup guides, and a simple-minded guy like me gets confused. Point - don't feel bad sharing pictures of a messy room! We've all been there. But pics. would be very helpful! Or heck, even a crude drawing with the main features shown like seating, intended speaker placement, that stairwell, anything you think is important! I'm definitely a visual person.
Used Gear Guy likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page