20Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Upgrading my system

Hey folks
I'm not sure if this is the wrote forum to post this question so please let me know.

I have definitive technology ProCinema 600 sound system connected by Yamaha RX-V667 receiver which I'm happy with, but lately I have be thinking of doing an upgrade. I live in Dubai, so I can't find enough good options at good price. Below is the current room setup and the options I have found so far

Room is a rectangular one(21 x13) but the seating area is 13x13, the options I found so far are to upgrade to

1. DT ProCinema 800
  2. DT ProCinema 1000
  3. DT BP-9040 towers + Procinema 2000 center + a couple of the 600 speakers for surround and another for atmos!
  4. Polk Rti5 + A3 - HTS10 - CS14
I.m not sure what makes a good upgrade (movies, streaming music, phono) for the room size, and makes sense for the coming years (some future proof taking into consideration bigger rooms).

The other option I have is to just buy another sub (polk psw 111) since my DT prosub 600 got a damaged PCB which will take between one to two months to fix!! and live wit the

current setup.

Please advice!!!

The next question will be if I should upgrade the receiver which one should I go to (focusing on sound of course for the selected setup)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrazH View Post
Hey folks
I'm not sure if this is the wrote forum to post this question so please let me know.

I have definitive technology ProCinema 600 sound system connected by Yamaha RX-V667 receiver which I'm happy with, but lately I have be thinking of doing an upgrade. I live in Dubai, so I can't find enough good options at good price. Below is the current room setup and the options I have found so far

Room is a rectangular one(21 x13) but the seating area is 13x13, the options I found so far are to upgrade to

1. DT ProCinema 800
  2. DT ProCinema 1000
  3. DT BP-9040 towers + Procinema 2000 center + a couple of the 600 speakers for surround and another for atmos!
I.m not sure what makes a good upgrade (movies, streaming music, phono) for the room size, and makes sense for the coming years (some future proof taking into consideration bigger rooms).

The other option I have is to just buy another sub (polk psw 111) since my DT prosub 600 got a damaged PCB which will take between one to two months to fix!! and live wit the

current setup.

Please advice!!![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]

The next question will be if I should upgrade the receiver which one should I go to (focusing on sound of course for the selected setup)
I have that definitive pro 600 setup in my family room. I like it for what it is, but it doesn’t touch my home theater setup in the basement. But for a small footprint, cool looking setup I think it fits the bill. The subwoofer really isn’t that great though.

I don’t know much about the Stuff you listed. But I’m sure by going to the towers, and matching center you would find yourself in a whole new level. But if you are sticking to the def tech brand then you should post in the def tech thread and you’d probably get a lot of help there. You may want to look elsewhere for subs besides Polk and Deftech also. I’m not sure what’s available where you live though .

| Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice Monolith 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 (2) | Polk V60 (2) | Klipsch SPL-120 (2) | HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | MiniDSP 2x4 HD | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Furman Elite 15 DMi | Panamax mr4300 | Eaton 5PX 1500 | JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16:9 | Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub |
post #3 of 36 Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 3862 Post(s)
Liked: 3327
Quote:
Hey folks

1. DT ProCinema 800
  2. DT ProCinema 1000

current setup.

Please advice!!!

The key factors are:
1) Budget
2) Availability
3) Usage. Movies or music?

What is available to you (links would be helpful) and how much you want to spend?

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 06-30-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Look at subs from XTZ. Even the little 8" would be a massive upgrade from your current sub and a good deal at the current sale price. I see they mention worldwide shipping, so you may just be able to order off their .eu website (linked below). There is also a distributor in India, if that becomes necessary.

https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/sub-17-series

As to speakers, perhaps a set of Q Acoustics 3010i or 3020i (or a combination) would be appropriate. I see the Mission LX-2 speakers are also available. They might be a good choice, as well. Both would be an improvement over the Def Tech and Polk options you mentioned and are available on Amazon India.

Also, the Monitor Audio Radius 90 mini-monitor has recently had a glowing user review here, so you might add that to the option list, if available to you.
AlexLac and BufordTJustice like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-30-2020 at 01:42 PM.
post #5 of 36 Old 06-30-2020, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your quick responses.

I will post the same question on definitive Technology forum!

My budget is around 4k $.

I'm considering having towers as you mentioned, but if I do that I won't have enough money at leats for now to add the center and surrounds will that be still an upgrade? (I'm also considering the 9080x from Definitive) (I tried adding links but I got an error as I only have one post and I should have at least 5)

How do I know the right speaker size for the room area?

I don't know much about XTZ or Aqoustics, I can buy them from India (shipping will be a problem ) but can be managed, will they give me a better sound compared to the 9080x or 9040 towers from Definitive technology? stupid question but I haven't listen to them before!

Main use will be Movies, Gaming and Music in that order
post #6 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm actually more lost now after reading more about XTZ and Aqoustics and that lead me to more brands and good ones.
Unfortunately I don't have them here so I won't be able to listen to them but I would really appreciate some suggestions that can beat definitive 9040 or 9080x towers, my current budget is around 4k $, I will try to buy online if possible.

Please advice
post #7 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Look at subs from XTZ. Even the little 8" would be a massive upgrade from your current sub and a good deal at the current sale price. I see they mention worldwide shipping, so you may just be able to order off their .eu website (linked below). There is also a distributor in India, if that becomes necessary.
https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/sub-17-series
Apologies for piggybanking on the OP's topic.

I'm also not in the US, and recently thought of adding a small sub to my old L/R floorstand speakers on a music-only setup.

XTZ is one of the brands that gets recommended here to us unfortunate non-Americans.

Do you think the small SUB 8.17 can add much value? As mentioned I'm using floorstand but the setup is pretty much like a nearfield bookshelf one (they are about ~3ft away). I don't listen to bass heavy music too much but also not classical or jazz.

Sent from my Motorola Microtac 9800X using Dampcloth
post #8 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLac View Post
Apologies for piggybanking on the OP's topic.

I'm also not in the US, and recently thought of adding a small sub to my old L/R floorstand speakers on a music-only setup.

XTZ is one of the brands that gets recommended here to us unfortunate non-Americans.

Do you think the small SUB 8.17 can add much value? As mentioned I'm using floorstand but the setup is pretty much like a nearfield bookshelf one (they are about ~3ft away). I don't listen to bass heavy music too much but also not classical or jazz.

Sent from my Motorola Microtac 9800X using Dampcloth
What is the -3 dB point of your towers? The XTZ 8" goes to 29 Hz, and you can probably get 25 Hz with a bit of room reinforcement. How big is your space (HxWxD), including all spaces that are open to it? Do you have multiple placement options in the room?
AlexLac likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-01-2020 at 11:25 AM.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
What is the -3 dB point of your towers? The XTZ 8" goes to 29 Hz, and you can probably get 25 Hz with a bit of room reinforcement. How big is your space (HxWxD), including all spaces that are open to it? Do you have multiple placement options in the room? For proper bass response, there is no more important factor than sub and seating position.
Thanks for responding. I'll shoot you a PM later on if that's ok? I don't want to hijack the thread.
RayGuy likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm actually more lost now after reading more about XTZ and Aqoustics and that lead me to more brands and good ones.
Unfortunately I don't have them here so I won't be able to listen to them but I would really appreciate some suggestions that can beat definitive 9040 or 9080x towers, my current budget is around 4k $, I will try to buy online if possible.

Please advice
If you can't hear the speakers (have you actually heard the Def Techs?) then you will have to read the reviews and choose the ones that appeal to you the most. Unfortunately, taste in sound is a very individual thing, and what one person likes, another may dislike. This list is a good place to start:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/h...eaker-packages

If something appeals, read the full review and any other reviews you can find.

What is the size of the room, your seating distance, and how close to the walls must the speakers be placed?

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-01-2020 at 11:42 AM.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Please advice
If you can't hear the speakers (have you actually heard the Def Techs?) then you will have to read the reviews and choose the ones that appeal to you the most. Unfortunately, taste in sound is a very individual thing, and what one person likes, another may dislike. This list is a good place to start:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/h...eaker-packages

If something appeals, read the full review and any other reviews you can find.

What is the size of the room, your seating distance, and how close to the walls must the speakers be placed?
That's what I'm doing now, and yes I have heard both towers from Def Techs but if I'm going to invest I prefer to get the right things from the beginning, I don't have to buy the whole system now but at least I start.

The current room is 13 x 13 ft with seating at 9 feet, but there is a plan to move to 23 x 16 ft where the speakers will be very near to the walls.

How do I know the right size for the area? And I have read some people prefer the towers (especially for music) and other prefer book shelf speakers(movies), which should I go for if I'm going to use for both? Or should I use mix?
I read posts advising not to mix brands, but I see a lot of people doing so, I'm not an expert so most probably I will try to stick to speakers proven to be compatible to each other.
post #12 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I'm doing now, and yes I have heard both towers from Def Techs but if I'm going to invest I prefer to get the right things from the beginning, I don't have to buy the whole system now but at least I start.

The current room is 13 x 13 ft with seating at 9 feet, but there is a plan to move to 23 x 16 ft where the speakers will be very near to the walls.

How do I know the right size for the area? And I have read some people prefer the towers (especially for music) and other prefer book shelf speakers(movies), which should I go for if I'm going to use for both? Or should I use mix?
I read posts advising not to mix brands, but I see a lot of people doing so, I'm not an expert so most probably I will try to stick to speakers proven to be compatible to each other.
If the speakers are going to be close to the wall, that argues for speakers with less bass response (with a separate subwoofer). That should eliminate the tower speakers from the conversation (especially the DEF Tech with the built-in powered bass modules). For bookshelf speakers, you'll want to allow a crossover point of 80Hz to a subwoofer, so you should get books with a -3dB point of 60 Hz or below. Sitting at 9 feet, you will not need a high-efficiency speaker. Anything with a rating of 84db or better should be fine. These criteria should help you eliminate some contenders.

The problem is still deciding what sound signature you would prefer. Is the room very bare, i.e. bare walls (or walls with pictures covered in glass), bare floors, bare windows, or is it plush with lots of soft furnishings, rugs, curtains, tapestries on the wall?

post #13 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9597 Post(s)
Liked: 7422
Quote:
I live in Dubai, so I can't find enough good options at good price. Below is the current room setup and the options I have found so far

1. DT ProCinema 800
  2. DT ProCinema 1000

current setup.

I would stay away from DT in general. Too many people get suckered into them due to the catchy name, pretty cabinets, and inflated pricetags---3 factors that easily bamboozle newbies into assuming they're paying for better quality/performance.

If I were you, I'd check and see how much Dubai customs/taxes would add to anything that's shipped there from the EU, UK, or US. That would open up a whole much bigger world of much better options. Especially in the subwoofer department. Even with the cost of overseas air freight, there are options from outside the middle east that might be in the same or less price ballpark. (I used to work in Saudi Arabia, have visited Dubai several times, and both places have a sad shortage of decent audio dealers.)

I would keep your Yamaha receiver unless there is some specific feature that you absolutely cannot live without, e.g. if you wanted to move to Atmos and don't have enough channels.

For your movies/gaming needs, I'd also check around for any JBL and Klipsch dealers.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #14 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:

If you know you must place speakers close to the front wall down the road, the Bi Polar towers are not for you/your future room. They require plenty of room to breath.

You are getting good advice. Towers are not "better" for movies or music. So long as you have a sub or 2 in the system quality bookshelf speakers will do both well for both applications.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #15 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for the responses, I was going for the towers for the looks and power and easier to start with and build from there.

I have found this dealer who has a set of brands would you please point me to the ones worth looking at?
https://dubaiaudio.com/all-brands

I would appreciate also if you suggest which brands I should be looking at? Otherwise, please suggest brands that I can buy online, I believe overall I will be paying 10% + freight. For subwoofer I understand that I should be looking at XTZ!

Also how far should the speakers be away from?

The room currently has two sides windows but the place I'm moving into will have one windows, high ceiling (two story) and is open to two other spaces!

Apologies for the stupid questions but not much experience in this!
post #16 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I have found this dealer who has a set of brands would you please point me to the ones worth looking at?
https://dubaiaudio.com/all-brands

I would appreciate also if you suggest which brands I should be looking at? Otherwise, please suggest brands that I can buy online, I believe overall I will be paying 10% + freight. For subwoofer I understand that I should be looking at XTZ!

Also how far should the speakers be away from?

The room currently has two sides windows but the place I'm moving into will have one windows, high ceiling (two story) and is open to two other spaces!
If movies are your main focus, and you watch a lot of blockbuster action/thriller movies, plan to spend at least 1/2 of your budget on subwoofers---you'll need it for a big open space like that!

The brands your dealer have that I'd focus on:
  • Focal (Aria)
  • Klipsch (Reference Premiere)
  • SVS (subwoofers only---your space could use a pair of PB2000)

(Do NOT let that dealer talk you into the usual audiophool stupidity like Audioquest cables, overpriced power cords or power conditioners, etc.)

Speaker placement:
https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/le...placement.html
m0j0, derekmoore and sigpig like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
^^^ Jamo could be a good idea too. A user on here recommends the Jamo D600 for LCR speakers: https://www.jamo.com/products/d600
m0j0 likes this.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #18 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
If movies are your main focus, and you watch a lot of blockbuster action/thriller movies, plan to spend at least 1/2 of your budget on subwoofers---you'll need it for a big open space like that!

The brands your dealer have that I'd focus on:
  • Focal (Aria)
  • Klipsch (Reference Premiere)
  • SVS (subwoofers only---your space could use a pair of PB2000)

(Do NOT let that dealer talk you into the usual audiophool stupidity like Audioquest cables, overpriced power cords or power conditioners, etc.)

Speaker placement:
https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/le...placement.html

Th`nk you very much for the recommendation.

The Focal (Aria) available are stand speakers which are very expensive, they do not have it in store so won't be able to listen and decide if they are worth it, on the other hand I find Klipsch interesting!

Does it make sense to go with a standard setup (RP-600M Bookshelf + RP 404C + RP 5000 SA)? if I add the RP-8000F standing speakers how will the setup look like? should I also include the subwoofer from Klipsch? or go for the svs one?

I have checked and they don't have Jamo D600 but what they have is much cheaper that the Klipsch so I will give it a try when I visit the store!
post #19 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Th`nk you very much for the recommendation.

The Focal (Aria) available are stand speakers which are very expensive, they do not have it in store so won't be able to listen and decide if they are worth it, on the other hand I find Klipsch interesting!

Does it make sense to go with a standard setup (RP-600M Bookshelf + RP 404C + RP 5000 SA)? if I add the RP-8000F standing speakers how will the setup look like? should I also include the subwoofer from Klipsch? or go for the svs one?

I have checked and they don't have Jamo D600 but what they have is much cheaper that the Klipsch so I will give it a try when I visit the store!
No no no, definitely get the SVS sub...Klipsch is a speaker company, which means their subs are going to be overpriced and underperforming.

SVS made its name with its subs, and then added speakers later. Their speakers are nothing special (the Prime series is pretty awful, IMO), just them cashing in on their brand name cachet.

There is *NEVER* any need to "match" the brand of the speakers with the brand of the sub(s). As a test, just ask the sales guy at that shop whether it's necessary to buy the same brand for the sub. If he says yes, then you will know for sure that you are dealing with someone who's either completely ignorant or completely dishonest/greedy.

I would go with Klipsch RP-600M + 5000SA. For the center, I'd go with either the 504C, 600C or 500C not the 404C because that one has tiny 4" woofers which are usually a bad idea for a center speaker. If you simply prefer the LOOK of towers, I'd get either the 6000F or 5000F, because the extra large woofers of the 8000F will be wasted if you're going to have a pair of PB2000 doing all the bass.
derekmoore, sigpig and HarrazH like this.

post #20 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No no no, definitely get the SVS sub...Klipsch is a speaker company, which means their subs are going to be overpriced and underperforming.

SVS made its name with its subs, and then added speakers later. Their speakers are nothing special (the Prime series is pretty awful, IMO), just them cashing in on their brand name cachet.

There is *NEVER* any need to "match" the brand of the speakers with the brand of the sub(s). As a test, just ask the sales guy at that shop whether it's necessary to buy the same brand for the sub. If he says yes, then you will know for sure that you are dealing with someone who's either completely ignorant or completely dishonest/greedy.

I would go with Klipsch RP-600M + 5000SA. For the center, I'd go with either the 504C, 600C or 500C not the 404C because that one has tiny 4" woofers which are usually a bad idea for a center speaker. If you simply prefer the LOOK of towers, I'd get either the 6000F or 5000F, because the extra large woofers of the 8000F will be wasted if you're going to have a pair of PB2000 doing all the bass.

Thank you! SVS (BP2000 Pro) it's.
Regarding the RP-600M should I go for two pairs or just one pair + the 5000SA?

For music, will I get the same performance from RP-600M + SVS subs compared to towers? I will test the different setups but don't want to be carried away. I'm thinking of starting with either the sub + Center + bookshelf and go from there or two towers and center and build from there when I have the budget if the tower makes sense.
post #21 of 36 Old 07-01-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you! SVS (BP2000 Pro) it's.
Regarding the RP-600M should I go for two pairs or just one pair + the 5000SA?

For music, will I get the same performance from RP-600M + SVS subs compared to towers? I will test the different setups but don't want to be carried away. I'm thinking of starting with either the sub + Center + bookshelf and go from there or two towers and center and build from there when I have the budget if the tower makes sense.
The only time a tower is necessary is if you prefer to listen to music in 2.0 (no sub). In that case, you'd want a tower that has an honest 3db roll off no higher than 35 or 40Hz, and is high enough sensitivity so that you won't need to have an external amp to power it properly. In contrast, a good bookshelf speaker that plays down to 50Hz combined with a decent subwoofer (starting around $400-500 in the US) can easily go down to 18-25Hz and would eat most towers for lunch.

So generally, towers are an AESTHETIC preference, not a FUNCTIONAL necessity. It's the CENTER speaker that does 70-80% of the output and 98% of the dialogue, so the CENTER is the true backbone and workhorse of any HT setup. No speaker salesman will ever tell you that because they want you to buy big expensive towers so that they can get the biggest sales commission (which is always a % of the total sale) possible.

You can always start with just one pair of RP600M and see how you like it. For the surrounds, you can use the RP500M if you want to save a little money...the surrounds don't do more than 10-15% of the output anyway.
derekmoore and HarrazH like this.

Last edited by Zorba922; 07-01-2020 at 08:14 PM.
post #22 of 36 Old 07-02-2020, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I'd suggest maybe starting with just the front three speakers, center plus books, and two appropriate SVS subs for the volume of your room.

If it turns out you are not satisfied with the books up front, them move them to surround duty and get the towers for L/R. If you are happy with the books up front, then just buy more for the surrounds.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #23 of 36 Old 07-02-2020, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
^^^ Jamo could be a good idea too. A user on here recommends the Jamo D600 for LCR speakers: https://www.jamo.com/products/d600
I use them currently. A lot of bang for the buck.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #24 of 36 Old 07-03-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help.

I'm going tomorrow to the showroom and test.
If I go with the RM-600M and SVS PB 2000 pro(will add the second later most likely), is it important that I buy the center as well especially that my focus will be music at the start??? what will the setup be? do I need to do a crossover and any best practices (never done it before )?

Will my current receiver be enough? Yamaha RX-v667? if not what characteristics should I look for?
post #25 of 36 Old 07-03-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks all for the help.

If I go with the RM-600M and SVS PB 2000 pro(will add the second later most likely), is it important that I buy the center as well especially that my focus will be music at the start??? what will the setup be? do I need to do a crossover and any best practices (never done it before )?

Will my current receiver be enough? Yamaha RX-v667? if not what characteristics should I look for?
This place distributes Rythmik in India according to the Rythmik website:
https://avenuesound.in/
They seem to get more love on AVS than SVS. Might be worth checking.
derekmoore likes this.
post #26 of 36 Old 07-03-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:

You can always add the 600C center later if needed...some people are fine with having no physical center, most prefer having a physical center for better dialogue during movies. Find out what YOUR ears prefer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

PS. If you can find Rythmik subs locally, compare their pricing with SVS and pick whichever is better priced. In the US, Rythmik offers better bang for the buck than SVS. No idea how it is in India.

post #27 of 36 Old 07-03-2020, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I will check if it makes sense to buy form India.

How do I make sure that the speakers I will go after will not bet overpowered by the subs? is there a guide that can help me get started to understand all of this including how to wire, cross overs, ....etc?
post #28 of 36 Old 07-03-2020, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only time a tower is necessary is if you prefer to listen to music in 2.0 (no sub). In that case, you'd want a tower that has an honest 3db roll off no higher than 35 or 40Hz, and is high enough sensitivity so that you won't need to have an external amp to power it properly. In contrast, a good bookshelf speaker that plays down to 50Hz combined with a decent subwoofer (starting around $400-500 in the US) can easily go down to 18-25Hz and would eat most towers for lunch.

So generally, towers are an AESTHETIC preference, not a FUNCTIONAL necessity. It's the CENTER speaker that does 70-80% of the output and 98% of the dialogue, so the CENTER is the true backbone and workhorse of any HT setup. No speaker salesman will ever tell you that because they want you to buy big expensive towers so that they can get the biggest sales commission (which is always a % of the total sale) possible.

You can always start with just one pair of RP600M and see how you like it. For the surrounds, you can use the RP500M if you want to save a little money...the surrounds don't do more than 10-15% of the output anyway.

I did a little research and looks like there is a debate on wither Bookshelf speakers + Sub is better than towers or not, I'm not planning to start another one here but I have a few questions
- looks like having a tower will make more sense if music is main purpose for this sound system, and if the area is big, right? but if I couple that with a sub(s) won't that be wasting the subs that are included?
- Given that the area I have is open to the dinning and kitchen will the bookshelves + sub(s) be enough? One more information, do I need to take into condieration that the room has high ceiling (two story ceiling which is open to the second floor!?

I'm suffering from lacking the professional advice here in Dubai!! so apologies if my questions sound stupid
post #29 of 36 Old 07-03-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you, I will check if it makes sense to buy form India.

How do I make sure that the speakers I will go after will not bet overpowered by the subs? is there a guide that can help me get started to understand all of this including how to wire, cross overs, ....etc?
Ah sorry, I thought you are in India. Hence the link to an Indian distributor. Given what members from India said here, the prices there are quite high. Can't hurt checking though.
post #30 of 36 Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I did a little research and looks like there is a debate on wither Bookshelf speakers + Sub is better than towers or not, I'm not planning to start another one here but I have a few questions
- looks like having a tower will make more sense if music is main purpose for this sound system, and if the area is big, right? but if I couple that with a sub(s) won't that be wasting the subs that are included?
- Given that the area I have is open to the dinning and kitchen will the bookshelves + sub(s) be enough? One more information, do I need to take into condieration that the room has high ceiling (two story ceiling which is open to the second floor!?
Yes, towers with subs for HT are unnecessary.

Yes, you'll be fine with dual PB2000 (or Rythmik equivalent) in that space plus bookshelves.

SPEAKER selection = based on LISTENING DISTANCE + preferred LOUDNESS Levels.

SUB selection = based on total CONTIGUOUS cubic feet of entire space not just the listening area.
derekmoore likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page