How to install/angle Emotiva E2 on ceiling - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By sigpig
  • 3 Post By sigpig

post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
How to install/angle Emotiva E2 on ceiling

Hi Guys,

I have an extra pair of Emotiva E2 speaker laying around and would like to install it on ceiling as the atmos speakers. So the config will be from
7.1.0 -> 7.1.2

The thing is this speaker is Bipolar with two tweeters on the side and the ports at the top.
I understand this type of speaker isn't ideal but still would like to use it since i already have it.

The mounting is no problem, but which direction / angle should i place these speakers?
both tweeters pointing sideways or at least one tweeter pointing MLP?

The below is the link to the speaker
https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...rmotiv-e2-pair

Any help would be appreciated. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-02-2020, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone shed some light on this please?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 3698
Crossover is at 2.7 kHz, fairly high. Small ribbon tweeters like those have limited radiation from top/bottom but "some" from the sides. I'd aim the woofer at the MLP.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Direct-radiators are a requirement for Atmos heights. The only use for bi-poles are as your surround speakers; and even then, they are discouraged.
When Emotiva did a (for them) no-holds-barred Atmos demo at one of the big shows, they had four arrays of four E1 speakers for Atmos heights. They had to wire them series-parallel in order to have a decent impedance, as well as making a bespoke bracket to mount them like flower petals, but it was apparently good sound...
leecreek likes this.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-03-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Not exactly a typical installation, as those speakers are meant for surround duty at ear level. Given that the speaker's sides are angled and contain an AMT type tweeter (with limited vertical dispersion), I would install them with one of the sides pointed directly at my seated head (back of speaker flat against the ceiling). It puts the other side pointed away from the seating position, but I don't see any other way to actually hear the treble from that speaker unless it is directed to the seating position.

Try this in a test mode by moving the speaker forward and backward to see where your seated ears fall into the center of the tweeter's sound distribution. Then pay some attention to the frequencies being produced by the woofer. If you are getting both, then you have found your mounting position. If not, move the speaker nearer the seating position, but don't fall out of the tweeter's area of sound distribution, which is rather limited.

Another option, depending on ceiling height and seating distance, would be to mount the speaker on the wall at the ceiling juncture (front height position) with the speaker positioned vertically. This would provide two tweeter outputs generally aimed towards the seating area, one from the tweeter angled downward and another from the tweeter facing towards the ceiling, using the ceiling bounce to distribute the sound to the room. You'll have to do some geometry to decide if your seated ears will be anywhere near optimally placed for either tweeter, but it's another possible approach to fitting that square peg of a speaker into the round hole of an Atmos application.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-03-2020 at 09:02 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-03-2020, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
It's called "using the right tool for the job", and a bi-pole surround speaker is the incorrect tool for the Atmos job.
RayGuy, leecreek and sdg4vfx like this.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2020, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone's input!
Yes as i mentioned i understand this type of speaker isn't ideal, but this is just an extra pair laying around. it won't cost me anything to install it so i still want to give it a try.

Last edited by David Byun; 07-05-2020 at 09:15 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-05-2020, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Not exactly a typical installation, as those speakers are meant for surround duty at ear level. Given that the speaker's sides are angled and contain an AMT type tweeter (with limited vertical dispersion), I would install them with one of the sides pointed directly at my seated head (back of speaker flat against the ceiling). It puts the other side pointed away from the seating position, but I don't see any other way to actually hear the treble from that speaker unless it is directed to the seating position.

Try this in a test mode by moving the speaker forward and backward to see where your seated ears fall into the center of the tweeter's sound distribution. Then pay some attention to the frequencies being produced by the woofer. If you are getting both, then you have found your mounting position. If not, move the speaker nearer the seating position, but don't fall out of the tweeter's area of sound distribution, which is rather limited.

Another option, depending on ceiling height and seating distance, would be to mount the speaker on the wall at the ceiling juncture (front height position) with the speaker positioned vertically. This would provide two tweeter outputs generally aimed towards the seating area, one from the tweeter angled downward and another from the tweeter facing towards the ceiling, using the ceiling bounce to distribute the sound to the room. You'll have to do some geometry to decide if your seated ears will be anywhere near optimally placed for either tweeter, but it's another possible approach to fitting that square peg of a speaker into the round hole of an Atmos application.
Thank you very much for your explanation. i will give it a try and see if i will keep the speakers or not.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-05-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Byun View Post
Thank you very much for your explanation. i will give it a try and see if i will keep the speakers or not.
Let us know how it plays out ..

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page