COnnect Front High and Front Mains Together - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jjcdennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
COnnect Front High and Front Mains Together

I have a Marantz SR7013 receiver in an 5.1.4 setup. The Front High speakers became redundant in this setup. My question is, is there an issue with connecting the front high speakers to the front mains via the speaker posts. Then run Odessey. Serial or parallel connection?

What I have is Polk Audio Monitor 70's on the floor and RC85i's as the Front High.
Appreciate your help with this question.

Last edited by jjcdennis; 06-30-2020 at 11:41 AM.
jjcdennis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,587
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Not a good idea. However, if you are set on doing it, get yourself an impedance protected speaker switch to connect both sets of speakers. Something like this with separate volume control (since the odds of the speakers having perfectly even response are slim).

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...-9&tag=mh0b-20

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-30-2020 at 04:06 PM.
RayGuy is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 28,362
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcdennis View Post
I have a Marantz SR7013 receiver in an 5.1.4 setup. The Front High speakers became redundant in this setup. My question is, is there an issue with connecting the front high speakers to the front mains via the speaker posts. Then run Odessey. Serial or parallel connection?

What I have is Polk Audio Monitor 70's on the floor and RC85i's as the Front High.
Appreciate your help with this question.
Redundant because of why? Are the front high speakers set up as Atmos speakers? I see no logical reason to connect them to the front mains. What is that supposed to gain you? It certainly doesn't help you with the Atmos experience.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jjcdennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Not a good idea. However, if you are set on doing it, get yourself an impedance protected speaker switch to connect both sets of speakers. Something like this with separate volume control (since the odds of the speakers having perfectly even response are slim).

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...-9&tag=mh0b-20

Thanks for your note.

I have a Niles SVL-6 that I used in my last home to power multiple zones with an Onkyo TX-NR3008.

My thinking was, the speakers are there, why not try to use them to fill the sound field a bit. Re: Atmos, I have listened with Atmos versus other sound fields and really I don't hear much of a difference, if any. Every sound field makes use of the 11 speakers and that makes it difficult for me differentiate. The DTS sound fields are much more distinct to me..
jjcdennis is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,587
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcdennis View Post
Thanks for your note.

I have a Niles SVL-6 that I used in my last home to power multiple zones with an Onkyo TX-NR3008.

My thinking was, the speakers are there, why not try to use them to fill the sound field a bit. Re: Atmos, I have listened with Atmos versus other sound fields and really I don't hear much of a difference, if any. Every sound field makes use of the 11 speakers and that makes it difficult for me differentiate. The DTS sound fields are much more distinct to me..
To properly use your 11 speakers, you really need to invest in a receiver that can process all 11 channels. That said, rules are made to be broken, so go for it and see what you get.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off