Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5473Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35521 of 37514 Old 03-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
When you say "they" don't have these drivers anymore, who do you mean? Paradigm, the secondary market, anyone?

When you say "they re-coned the driver," who did the job for you? Paradigm service, your local speaker repair shop, etc.?
Pretty sure he means Paradigm on both counts.
ST Dog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35522 of 37514 Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Any one compared Paradigm prestisge 85F vs b&w new series 702 S2? If yes! Can you post u r analysis!
gakbw is offline  
post #35523 of 37514 Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tank_PD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by csprague View Post
I got thinking though, what if I bought them then put them on Audiogon? Think I could make a few bucks? I think I'd be offering the world's first "used" pair of 3Fs, so I have no idea what the market is.
If you can't afford to keep them I wouldn't risk it.
Tank_PD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35524 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
circumstances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Pretty sure he means Paradigm on both counts.
Thanks.

That information would be in direct conflict with what ratbuddy posted, though.

Hopefully dsteak will reply.
circumstances is offline  
post #35525 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 05:05 AM
Member
 
csprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
If you can't afford to keep them I wouldn't risk it.
Yeah, I found a pair on US Audio Mart for $7k that have been there for a while. Looks like even if I could turn them around, the margins would be so low as to be not worth the hassle.

Quick question, for anyone who has a pair - are the fronts magnetized? My wife really hates how the black drivers look without grilles. It may sound like heresy to many of you, but I think the only way she'd let them into the house is if I could make some sort of grille, but I'd have to find a way to attach it. I have easy access to CAD and a 3D printer, so it wouldn't be hard for me to make a frame and get some nice cloth.

2Ch: Magnepan 1.7i | LR: Paradigm Signature S4 v1 | C:Paradigm Prestige 55C | Surrounds & Rear: Paradigm Studio 20v5 (x4) | Atmos: Micca M-8C
Subs: Rythmik E15HP (x2) | AVR: Denon X4300H | Amp: Outlaw Model 5000 | TV: Sony XBR75x850E | Players: Oppo UDP-203, U-Turn Orbit Plus
csprague is offline  
post #35526 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
Thanks.

That information would be in direct conflict with what ratbuddy posted, though..
Not really. ratbuddy was speaking generally, and generally they have drivers.

But depending on age and other factors they can run out dsteak was saying the specific driver you need is no longer available. If you search this thread, you'll see several examples of no drivers available and being reconed.

But if they are out they can rebuild your current driver. Usually the frame is the missing piece, the rest is easier to stock.
ST Dog is offline  
post #35527 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
circumstances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
Thanks.

That information would be in direct conflict with what ratbuddy posted, though..
Not really. ratbuddy was speaking generally, and generally they have drivers.

But depending on age and other factors they can run out dsteak was saying the specific driver you need is no longer available. If you search this thread, you'll see several examples of no drivers available and being reconed.

But if they are out they can rebuild your current driver. Usually the frame is the missing piece, the rest is easier to stock.
He said they either have the driver in stock or they could build one, so I was hoping that was actually the case.

If they're out, and they can't build one, that would be unfortunate but good to know.

Thanks.
circumstances is offline  
post #35528 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
dsteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
Hi, thanks for the info.

When you say "they" don't have these drivers anymore, who do you mean? Paradigm, the secondary market, anyone?

When you say "they re-coned the driver," who did the job for you? Paradigm service, your local speaker repair shop, etc.?
Sorry I wasn't more descriptive, my bad.

I called Paradigm to let them know about the issue. I was still under warranty (5 years), but they said they don't stock those drivers anymore for the ADP. They said I had to send in the driver and they would re-cone it. After a few weeks I called and asked for a status, and they said they hadn't done the work yet, they do the re-coning in batches at certain times. That's why it took 6 weeks.

I also had the mid-range driver go bad on one of my Signature 8's (V3) a few months ago. Disconcerting to say the least, but they still stock those drivers, so they sent me one (still under warranty) and it's now replaced.
dsteak is offline  
post #35529 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
circumstances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
Hi, thanks for the info.

When you say "they" don't have these drivers anymore, who do you mean? Paradigm, the secondary market, anyone?

When you say "they re-coned the driver," who did the job for you? Paradigm service, your local speaker repair shop, etc.?
Sorry I wasn't more descriptive, my bad.

I called Paradigm to let them know about the issue. I was still under warranty (5 years), but they said they don't stock those drivers anymore for the ADP. They said I had to send in the driver and they would re-cone it. After a few weeks I called and asked for a status, and they said they hadn't done the work yet, they do the re-coning in batches at certain times. That's why it took 6 weeks.

I also had the mid-range driver go bad on one of my Signature 8's (V3) a few months ago. Disconcerting to say the least, but they still stock those drivers, so they sent me one (still under warranty) and it's now replaced.
No problem!

How long ago did this happen with your ADP?

Did you remove the midrange yourself, send it to them, then install it yourself when you received it back?

Is there any difference in sound between after it was fixed and before it broke?

Sorry for all the questions.
circumstances is offline  
post #35530 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE OH
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by csprague View Post
Yeah, I found a pair on US Audio Mart for $7k that have been there for a while. Looks like even if I could turn them around, the margins would be so low as to be not worth the hassle.

Quick question, for anyone who has a pair - are the fronts magnetized? My wife really hates how the black drivers look without grilles. It may sound like heresy to many of you, but I think the only way she'd let them into the house is if I could make some sort of grille, but I'd have to find a way to attach it. I have easy access to CAD and a 3D printer, so it wouldn't be hard for me to make a frame and get some nice cloth.
You can buy grill's for them here shortly. Black or silver I believe. I was told that they are already capable of getting the grills. So I would assume they are magnetic or have magnets in them for grill's. I want grill's also. Not for listening but for protection.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
rhale64L7 is offline  
post #35531 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
dsteak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
No problem!

How long ago did this happen with your ADP?

Did you remove the midrange yourself, send it to them, then install it yourself when you received it back?

Is there any difference in sound between after it was fixed and before it broke?

Sorry for all the questions.
The ADP issue was last August.

I removed the driver myself, shipped it, and then installed it when I got it back. It's easy, just have to make sure you hook it up the same when you get it back. Also, there are little rubber inserts for the screw holes, make sure you don't lose those. When you remove the driver, hold on to the little rubber inserts, or ask them for new ones.

The distortion is gone, but whether it sounds exactly the same, I can't be sure.
dsteak is offline  
post #35532 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
He said they either have the driver in stock or they could build one, so I was hoping that was actually the case.
And generally they do or can. But some stuff they just don't keep around.

I suspect the frame is the main thing they would not have to build one. The rest is easy to store and or have made. But the cast metal frames are bulky and not as easy to have a new one made (generally would need a sizable production run to manage the costs).

As I said, I've seen several posts discussing rebuilding one (new cone) because they couldn't supply a complete driver.
ST Dog is offline  
post #35533 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
circumstances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
No problem!

How long ago did this happen with your ADP?

Did you remove the midrange yourself, send it to them, then install it yourself when you received it back?

Is there any difference in sound between after it was fixed and before it broke?

Sorry for all the questions.
The ADP issue was last August.

I removed the driver myself, shipped it, and then installed it when I got it back. It's easy, just have to make sure you hook it up the same when you get it back. Also, there are little rubber inserts for the screw holes, make sure you don't lose those. When you remove the driver, hold on to the little rubber inserts, or ask them for new ones.

The distortion is gone, but whether it sounds exactly the same, I can't be sure.
Thanks!
circumstances is offline  
post #35534 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
circumstances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post
He said they either have the driver in stock or they could build one, so I was hoping that was actually the case.
And generally they do or can. But some stuff they just don't keep around.

I suspect the frame is the main thing they would not have to build one. The rest is easy to store and or have made. But the cast metal frames are bulky and not as easy to have a new one made (generally would need a sizable production run to manage the costs).

As I said, I've seen several posts discussing rebuilding one (new cone) because they couldn't supply a complete driver.
Got it. Well, I've got my frame, so I'll be good in any case.
circumstances is offline  
post #35535 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Member
 
csprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
You can buy grill's for them here shortly. Black or silver I believe. I was told that they are already capable of getting the grills. So I would assume they are magnetic or have magnets in them for grill's. I want grill's also. Not for listening but for protection.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Well I went back today and spent an hour and a half auditioning, A/B testing them with some 75Fs (similar frequency response) and 95Fs (what I currently have).

Highs were a lot smoother - a LOT smoother, and the clarity was definitely improved. Whenever we went from the 3Fs to the 75Fs it sounded like someone threw a blanket over the whole thing, mid-bass was a bit exaggerated and muddied in comparison. The 95Fs fared better, though they were harder to A/B as they're 2dB more efficient.

As far as transparency and sound-stage, there was no comparison. The 3F blew the others away. It filled the room, Left to Right, floor to ceiling, it was very impressive. The 95Fs imaged extremely well left to right also, probably just as well, but could not at all compete on height. The 75Fs were, as expected, the weakest here, but it also suffered from having the tweeter lower than the other two, so comparisons were perhaps skewed.

BUT....

But...I found the sonic signature to be too different between the Prestige and Persona lines, which creates a major problem for me: I don't think they'd blend at all well with my Prestige 55C. I also cannot even come close to affording, or fitting, the Persona Center. And that really puts the nail in the coffin for me. They're great, but I can't make them work in my system without going bankrupt.

However, if anyone lives in the northeastern US and would consider them, the store owner really does want to move them. PM me and I can tell you which dealer it is.

As for me - oh well. For those of you who have the means, good on you. They're fantastic.

2Ch: Magnepan 1.7i | LR: Paradigm Signature S4 v1 | C:Paradigm Prestige 55C | Surrounds & Rear: Paradigm Studio 20v5 (x4) | Atmos: Micca M-8C
Subs: Rythmik E15HP (x2) | AVR: Denon X4300H | Amp: Outlaw Model 5000 | TV: Sony XBR75x850E | Players: Oppo UDP-203, U-Turn Orbit Plus
csprague is offline  
post #35536 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
cissado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: clifton NJ USA
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
You can buy grill's for them here shortly. Black or silver I believe. I was told that they are already capable of getting the grills. So I would assume they are magnetic or have magnets in them for grill's. I want grill's also. Not for listening but for protection.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


Will the grills be on the Paradigm site? Are there any pictures of the grills?
cissado is offline  
post #35537 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 357
A single Persona B is a better center than the actual persona Center. The only advantage the C has is that it can dig deeper, but the sub should be playing under 100hz or 80hz anyway. The midrange (dialogue) performance of the B is noticeably better than the C if you ask me. The center is great, but they shot themselves in the foot by not having a smaller center.
Spock1234 likes this.

FS: Piano Black Martin Logan Motion 35XT, 50XT, 60XT, and Motion 4i
Contuzzi is offline  
post #35538 of 37514 Old 03-09-2018, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE OH
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cissado View Post
Will the grills be on the Paradigm site? Are there any pictures of the grills?
I believe where I first realized a grill was coming in a YouTube video. Search for Paradigm Persona speakers.

And it is interesting that the B makes a better sounding center than the actual center channel. I hadn't heard either the C, or the B's. I loved the 3f so much I trusted that the B's in the same color would be a great match. I was told they would be. I am now assuming I made the right choice. I used a vertical center in my last theater and loved it. I know it works well other than the floor bounce which can be eqed out of it for the most part.
And yes that Persona C is actually to big for my room anyhow. They do need to make a Persona C minor or something. A 100lb center channel is crazy. Especially with the Persona sub lurking. Which I don't understand either. Is it a great sub? Yes it is. But way to much money with the id companies making subs that compete for one third the price. Would I buy one anyway? If I had lots of disposable income I certainly would with the 9h's and a overkill C and four B's.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
rhale64L7 is offline  
post #35539 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
A single Persona B is a better center than the actual persona Center. The only advantage the C has is that it can dig deeper, but the sub should be playing under 100hz or 80hz anyway. The midrange (dialogue) performance of the B is noticeably better than the C if you ask me. The center is great, but they shot themselves in the foot by not having a smaller center.


Are you sure about this? The C (green line) has a much flatter un-corrected frequency response than the B (red line). Not to mention a smaller midrange driver is better because larger drivers start beaming at a lower frequency.
astrallite is offline  
post #35540 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
brireeves629's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Anyone have any experience with the new Decor Series speakers? I currently have the Millinia 30 and I am wondering how the Decor will compare.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prophizee likes this.
brireeves629 is online now  
post #35541 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE OH
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
I can tell you that purple Trace is not what I heard when I listened to the 3f's. I would not like the sound of any of those traces. If they were in a live room that would explain it. But not in a even mildly treated room. I am saying carpet with padding and first reflection points.

Paradigm has the first chamber for testing loudspeaker's. Revels was modeled after the Canadian research council's huge anechoic chamber. I am quite sure that they would not make a speaker that measured that way. Unless they found something that nobody knows about. All these speakers are getting rave reviews. How would they give a speaker that measured like that a rave review? And to top it off almost everyone that has heard them loves them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
rhale64L7 is offline  
post #35542 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post


Are you sure about this? The C (green line) has a much flatter un-corrected frequency response than the B (red line). Not to mention a smaller midrange driver is better because larger drivers start beaming at a lower frequency.
That must be why everyone keeps buying PAIRS of the center channels for stereo...

FS: Piano Black Martin Logan Motion 35XT, 50XT, 60XT, and Motion 4i
Contuzzi is offline  
post #35543 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE OH
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
That must be why everyone keeps buying PAIRS of the center channels for stereo...
This is a joke I hope.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
rhale64L7 is offline  
post #35544 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I can tell you that purple Trace is not what I heard when I listened to the 3f's. I would not like the sound of any of those traces. If they were in a live room that would explain it. But not in a even mildly treated room. I am saying carpet with padding and first reflection points.

Paradigm has the first chamber for testing loudspeaker's. Revels was modeled after the Canadian research council's huge anechoic chamber. I am quite sure that they would not make a speaker that measured that way. Unless they found something that nobody knows about. All these speakers are getting rave reviews. How would they give a speaker that measured like that a rave review? And to top it off almost everyone that has heard them loves them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
These are pseudo anechoic measurements, however the Personas have been measured by more than 4 different reputable publications and all of them, including true NRC anechoic measurements, all look quite similar.

The on axis FR isn't that important anyway, it's something that can be easily fixed by room correction, the off axis measurements are actually more important IMO since it's a little tricker to correct for.
Jakeshields is offline  
post #35545 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE OH
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeshields View Post
These are pseudo anechoic measurements, however the Personas have been measured by more than 4 different reputable publications and all of them, including true NRC anechoic measurements, all look quite similar.

The on axis FR isn't that important anyway, it's something that can be easily fixed by room correction, the off axis measurements are actually more important IMO since it's a little tricker to correct for.
Yes the off axis 30 and 45 degree windows are much better. But what is pseudo besides an estimated calculation based off of similar results from other speakers in that particular room. But other speakers DO NOT have them phase thingy's on them. I Forget what they are called. And that's exactly what they are for.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
rhale64L7 is offline  
post #35546 of 37514 Old 03-10-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
But other speakers DO NOT have them phase thingy's on them. I Forget what they are called. And that's exactly what they are for.
Wave guides?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #35547 of 37514 Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NE OH
Posts: 3,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Wave guides?
No it's called a perforated phase alignment lens. I guess it might work similar to a waveguide. But it covers a much broader area it seems.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
rhale64L7 is offline  
post #35548 of 37514 Old 03-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Member
 
Lorderl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
they shot themselves in the foot by not having a smaller center.
This was one of the first things I noticed and wondered what the reason for omitting a smaller center might be.
Lorderl is offline  
post #35549 of 37514 Old 03-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
power conditioning

[new to forum, if this isn't the right place, or I've violated any rules, apologies, pls let me know]

I have a question. I have a 7.1 persona setup wiht 5Fs and an anthem arcam 850. it's a dream...

but.

did anyone do any power conditioning? or once doing that, improve the power cables to their various devices ? (I have two 4k HDR devices)

it's well known unstable power can mess with DACs (though some are so good you don't notice), and the DAC portion of the receiver...I wonder.

The placed worked with only installed high current cables (transparent premium) power cables to the SUB and the amp.

google transparent cables and look at the transparent premium. $800!!!! but it seems counterintuitive if the power into my house (my builder wasn't the best) coming from the transformer isn't clean, the cable only does a tiny bit)


Funny thing is, I installed a furman PL-PLUS_DMC which shows amps for the sub (the cable cost would be higher to reach the conditioner I used for my amp an devices). it rarely draws any power, even when I put on some very very bassy music. It's a very precise and responsive reading, so I'm suprirsed

also. all of this is on a 15a circuit...so the if the sub and amp pulled a the same time, sufficiently high enough, breaker flip! never happened (and the tv and gaming systems and such are all here, as DACS I use to play audiophile music through the 5Fs alone)


thanks in advance

i f
rash67 is offline  
post #35550 of 37514 Old 03-11-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by rash67 View Post
[new to forum, if this isn't the right place, or I've violated any rules, apologies, pls let me know]

I have a question. I have a 7.1 persona setup wiht 5Fs and an anthem arcam 850. it's a dream...

but.

did anyone do any power conditioning? or once doing that, improve the power cables to their various devices ? (I have two 4k HDR devices)

it's well known unstable power can mess with DACs (though some are so good you don't notice), and the DAC portion of the receiver...I wonder.

The placed worked with only installed high current cables (transparent premium) power cables to the SUB and the amp.

google transparent cables and look at the transparent premium. $800!!!! but it seems counterintuitive if the power into my house (my builder wasn't the best) coming from the transformer isn't clean, the cable only does a tiny bit)

Funny thing is, I installed a furman PL-PLUS_DMC which shows amps for the sub (the cable cost would be higher to reach the conditioner I used for my amp an devices). it rarely draws any power, even when I put on some very very bassy music. It's a very precise and responsive reading, so I'm suprirsed

also. all of this is on a 15a circuit...so the if the sub and amp pulled a the same time, sufficiently high enough, breaker flip! never happened (and the tv and gaming systems and such are all here, as DACS I use to play audiophile music through the 5Fs alone)
Waste NO money on expensive power cables, that's a bunch of crap. A cable of the appropriate gauge is all you need. Sure, I use a power conditioner mostly as a surge protector and to provide stable power (and even that isn't overly necessary where I live, but what the heck.....) for the majority of the AV gear. Clean power? Well, my main amp and two subs are plugged directly into the wall. They don't sound dirty. or like they're hiding anything.....

Don't go down the pricey cable rabbit hole...
pappaduke, KenM10759 and ST Dog like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off