Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1198 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5445Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35911 of 37378 Old 06-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Paradigm really should offer a shorter version of the center speaker with just twin drivers and single tweeter. Not everyone needs, can afford, or can fit that Persona Center. It's HUGE.
They should offer a vertical 3 way bookshelf, now that would be an amazing speaker
Jakeshields is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35912 of 37378 Old 06-26-2018, 05:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Paradigm CC 290 v6 vs Paradigm CC 390 v6

Hi! I got the opportunity to upgrade my cc 290 v6 to the huge cc 390 v6 used.

Overall i mostly like the look of it and im always looking to upgrade my setup whenever i can and as you all know the center speaker is one of the most important speaker in a home theater.



My question is , will there be a good difference in the sound performance between the two?



Also as most of the people, im running all my speakers as SMALL in my Denon 2310 CI receiver but i saw some reviews of the CC 390 running it as large due to its size and performance, would that be correct or should it be used as small with its own crossover setting since so far all my speakers are at 80 hz.



In the future i was looking at going atmos with a 5.1.4, so i need to upgrade my receiver and get 4 in ceiling speaker, but if upgrading my cc290 to the cc 390 is worth it i might do this before.



Here my current setup:

Denon 2310 CI

Paradigm monitor 11 v6 towers

Paradigm CC 290 v6

Paradigm adp 390 v6

SVS PB -2000 ( latest upgrade over a paradigm 3100)



BTW sorry for my poor english it it not my native language.

thanks !

Mat-
Mat- is offline  
post #35913 of 37378 Old 06-26-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
I went from CC-290 to CC-390 as well, and it was a huge improvement. I found it sounded better on small/80hz. I tried small with 40, 60, 80, and large, and to me, it sounded best on small/80 like the rest of the speakers, even the ADP-390s, which Audyssey tried to put at 100hz.
ratbuddy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35914 of 37378 Old 06-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
mlkmgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Meskwaki Nation
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I say one of you upgrade and sell me the cc-390!! 😀 I have been looking for a couple years now. I too also run the cc-290 with monitor 9, mini-monitors, and adp-190s.

I need to head out n see what the new stuff sounds like...
mlkmgr is offline  
post #35915 of 37378 Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat- View Post
Hi! I got the opportunity to upgrade my cc 290 v6 to the huge cc 390 v6 used.

Overall i mostly like the look of it and im always looking to upgrade my setup whenever i can and as you all know the center speaker is one of the most important speaker in a home theater.



My question is , will there be a good difference in the sound performance between the two?



Also as most of the people, im running all my speakers as SMALL in my Denon 2310 CI receiver but i saw some reviews of the CC 390 running it as large due to its size and performance, would that be correct or should it be used as small with its own crossover setting since so far all my speakers are at 80 hz.



In the future i was looking at going atmos with a 5.1.4, so i need to upgrade my receiver and get 4 in ceiling speaker, but if upgrading my cc290 to the cc 390 is worth it i might do this before.



Here my current setup:

Denon 2310 CI

Paradigm monitor 11 v6 towers

Paradigm CC 290 v6

Paradigm adp 390 v6

SVS PB -2000 ( latest upgrade over a paradigm 3100)



BTW sorry for my poor english it it not my native language.

thanks !

Mat-
I also went from a 290 to a 390 a few years back and found it to be a significant improvement. Running a 7.2 setup with 9’s, adp 390’s and 190’s and dual pdr 100’s.
390’s are hard to find. Don’t hesitate too long.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is online now  
post #35916 of 37378 Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a real newbie question. I’m replacing my surround sound system, and I’m planning on going with the Monitor SE series. The center channel is a given, but I’m between the Atom and the 3000F floor-standing speakers for left and right mains. It appears that the only real difference is the 3000F has 2 additional 5.5” drivers for bass. If I’m using a subwoofer, is there any real benefit to getting two 3000F over two Atoms? It would be nice not to have to buy speaker stands, but that doesn’t justify an added $400 to me for two 3000F's. I’d ask the salesperson, but…you know. Thanks in advance.
mlukas is offline  
post #35917 of 37378 Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have Monitor 7s and Atoms (used for surrounds).
Huge difference.

The larger cabinet, better porting, etc lead to a lot more sound and better clarity st a given power level.

And the floor standers can handle a lot more power.

but best to try/listen for yourself. Use a similar sub with expected crossover.

(Without a sub the Atom can't even com close to handling the bass)

Last edited by ST Dog; 06-28-2018 at 10:52 AM.
ST Dog is online now  
post #35918 of 37378 Old 06-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
I have Monitor 7s and Atoms (used for surrounds).
Huge difference.

The larger cabinet, better porting, etc lead to a lot more sound and better clarity st a given power level.

And the floor standers can handle a lot more power.

but best to try/listen for yourself. Use a similar sub with expected crossover.

(Without a sub the Atom can't even com close to handling the bass)




Thanks. That was my suspicion (that there were benefits I hadn’tconsidered). I’d love to hear them first, unfortunately the dealer near meopted not to bring them in. The lowest tier of Paradigms they have are thePremiers, but that’s still a little rich for my blood…for now anyway.
mlukas is offline  
post #35919 of 37378 Old 06-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukas View Post
The lowest tier of Paradigms they have are the Premiers
You can compare similar towers and bookshelves they do have (like 100B vs 700B). The differences will be similar.
ST Dog is online now  
post #35920 of 37378 Old 06-28-2018, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
nodoubt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 255
towers all the way
nodoubt is offline  
post #35921 of 37378 Old 07-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello - I am looking for input on a CL find. It will be mainly for movies and budget is ~$350. I found Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V2 (cherry color) on CL. From pics, they appear to be in good condition. Since the seller is the 2nd owner, he is not sure how old they are. I think they are around 20 yrs old.

$425 for 20 yr old speakers is nuts, isn't it ? what would be a fair price for them ?

Thanks in advance

SM

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
smoideen1 is offline  
post #35922 of 37378 Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
nodoubt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 255
man this place stays surprisingly dead , for one of the best speakers known to man......
chat it up girls!
we need more input on the new premiere series
nodoubt is offline  
post #35923 of 37378 Old 07-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 356
The new Premier series are incredible. There's my input.


Premier in the Espresso color = win.
Scarriere likes this.


Contuzzi is offline  
post #35924 of 37378 Old 07-06-2018, 09:54 AM
Member
 
dizzyscure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone selling a set of Paradigm Signature S1 V3 in Gloss Black, PM me if so thanks, I'm in Houston TX.
dizzyscure is offline  
post #35925 of 37378 Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 111
FWIW...I'm sitting here playing with the distance (and sound) on my center channel of my 3 Prestige speakers and have never been happier! These things are truly amazing and the sound is fantastic. Can't describe it...just enjoying it with some great tunes! Kenny Chesney has some excellent engineering in many of his tracks.

Love the stereo imaging too. I can't imagine a better sound. So there.

Hope the Premire is great! I would have started there if I were to do it again. But I'm glad I stretched to the Prestige.
That is all for now!! 🙂
Scarriere and ct221933 like this.

L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2. 65" JS9500. Fairly new audioholic
GTDTS is offline  
post #35926 of 37378 Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2810 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDTS View Post
FWIW...I'm sitting here playing with the distance (and sound) on my center channel of my 3 Prestige speakers and have never been happier! These things are truly amazing and the sound is fantastic. Can't describe it...just enjoying it with some great tunes! Kenny Chesney has some excellent engineering in many of his tracks.

Love the stereo imaging too. I can't imagine a better sound. So there.

Yep, I'm loving the Prestige line, no question. I know it could sound better, but I do have physical constraints that would likely affect a lot of speakers, and I'm sure it is not magic, but the Prestige line seems to perform well in my less-than-stellar environment. The speakers are stuck where they are with very little room to play (Actually, zero room to play....) but still manage to sound great all considered. Pretty darn happy I went with these.
Scarriere, ct221933 and GTDTS like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #35927 of 37378 Old 07-08-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Yep, I'm loving the Prestige line, no question. I know it could sound better, but I do have physical constraints that would likely affect a lot of speakers, and I'm sure it is not magic, but the Prestige line seems to perform well in my less-than-stellar environment. The speakers are stuck where they are with very little room to play (Actually, zero room to play....) but still manage to sound great all considered. Pretty darn happy I went with these.
Most of us are probably dealing with less than ideal placement of speakers unless the home is being built or a dedicated room is being built. Make the best of the room design and enjoy what you have.
Scarriere and Jonas2 like this.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is online now  
post #35928 of 37378 Old 07-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Castrejon View Post
Wow, so the Prestige 15Bs can hold on their own with a sub? Wow, all this talk about the Prestige vs Premier makes me lean towards the Prestige instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
I mentioned on here a few days ago that I’ve heard the 15B’s with a Peachtree Nova 300. It’s a 300x2 amp, it was turned up a little over half volume and the 15B’s sounded great. No compression or distortion, and way louder than what you’d ever need at that point. This was running full range, so if they were crossed over at 60 or 80hz they’d handle an amazing amount of clean power. Yes they are awesome for small speakers, but they aren’t cheap.
I wonder how well a pair of Prestige 15B's and HSU VTF-2 MK5's would stack up against the Premier 800F's? I'm considering the Prestige 15b + HSU setup but I'm unsure of how they would sound using the high level inputs on the subs and setting L/R channels to full range on the receiver (Or would using the two LFE outputs on the receiver be better in this scenario?) . Maybe I could convince the local audio store at home to move their subwoofers and 15B's around for me when I get back...

I did have a short listen to the Premier 700F's the other day while on vacation, and they did sound very good, but there was something lacking with their sound. I didn't listen to them long enough or with enough music I know well to really figure out what I felt was missing. Maybe it was the midrange/vocals that sounded a little lifeless to me? Perhaps the larger drivers of the 800F would help make the midrange sound better or more full/alive/realistic to me?
Canadianatlas is offline  
post #35929 of 37378 Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Member
 
irwando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All,


I've owned a Paradigm Studio 100v2/CCv2/ADPv2 setup for about 15 years now, but having the giant speakers in our family room has become a bit much, so I'm planning to switch to Bookshelf/Sub combo. My current plan is for Prestige 15B's/45C for front/center and some in-walls for the rears. Thinking about the Seismic 110 for the sub as I want something small.



At the same time I'd like to update my Denon 4306 to something newer and I'm pretty excited by NAD's receivers with Dirac - the 758v3 and 777v3. The question is, do I need the extra power of the 777? I don't need the extra features it provides but want to make sure I'm going with enough power. Given limited space an external amp isn't really practical but an option if we move in the future.


So is anyone running a Prestige combo like this with the 758?



Thanks!
irwando is offline  
post #35930 of 37378 Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Williams2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwando View Post
Hi All,


I've owned a Paradigm Studio 100v2/CCv2/ADPv2 setup for about 15 years now, but having the giant speakers in our family room has become a bit much, so I'm planning to switch to Bookshelf/Sub combo. My current plan is for Prestige 15B's/45C for front/center and some in-walls for the rears. Thinking about the Seismic 110 for the sub as I want something small.



At the same time I'd like to update my Denon 4306 to something newer and I'm pretty excited by NAD's receivers with Dirac - the 758v3 and 777v3. The question is, do I need the extra power of the 777? I don't need the extra features it provides but want to make sure I'm going with enough power. Given limited space an external amp isn't really practical but an option if we move in the future.


So is anyone running a Prestige combo like this with the 758?



Thanks!

I have Prestige 15B’s/55C with an Anthem MRX520. The ARC system works great and it all sounds amazing. If the NAD added a little bit of warmth and proved reliable, it might be an even better system. The Anthem and NAD were the only receivers I was considering. I’m using a Prestige 1000SW sub because I got a great deal on it, or I probably would’ve went with 1 or 2 HSU’s. ARC has the sub and speakers running very seamless and smooth.
irwando and Jonas2 like this.
Williams2 is offline  
post #35931 of 37378 Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Todd Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoideen1 View Post
Hello - I am looking for input on a CL find. It will be mainly for movies and budget is ~$350. I found Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V2 (cherry color) on CL. From pics, they appear to be in good condition. Since the seller is the 2nd owner, he is not sure how old they are. I think they are around 20 yrs old.

$425 for 20 yr old speakers is nuts, isn't it ? what would be a fair price for them ?

Thanks in advance

SM

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
FWIW I bought a mint pair of Paradigm Studio 60 v1 speakers 4 years ago for $720 Canadian.

The V2's would be about 15 years old max. The real wood side panels were an upgrade. So offer him $400 that's a fair price.
The only thing you may need to do maintenance wise in 5 years or so, clean out and replace the ferrofliud in the tweeters and re-cap the crossovers.

You will need to supplement with a subwoofer.
Todd Scott is offline  
post #35932 of 37378 Old 07-10-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,881
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Anyone know of any reviews (or anything really) on the new Premier?

There is basically nothing about them (other than the little blurbs on Paradigm's website) - which is odd for a Paradigm speaker.

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...

Last edited by New24K; 07-10-2018 at 10:51 AM.
New24K is offline  
post #35933 of 37378 Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tank_PD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Anyone know of any reviews (or anything really) on the new Premier?

There is basically nothing about them (other than the little blurbs on Paradigm's website) - which is odd for a Paradigm speaker.

I wouldn't say it is that odd for a brand new speaker. They are typically a bit slow to update the website and it will take time for all the reviews to come in.
Tank_PD is offline  
post #35934 of 37378 Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Julio Castrejon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
I wonder how well a pair of Prestige 15B's and HSU VTF-2 MK5's would stack up against the Premier 800F's? I'm considering the Prestige 15b + HSU setup but I'm unsure of how they would sound using the high level inputs on the subs and setting L/R channels to full range on the receiver (Or would using the two LFE outputs on the receiver be better in this scenario?) . Maybe I could convince the local audio store at home to move their subwoofers and 15B's around for me when I get back...

I did have a short listen to the Premier 700F's the other day while on vacation, and they did sound very good, but there was something lacking with their sound. I didn't listen to them long enough or with enough music I know well to really figure out what I felt was missing. Maybe it was the midrange/vocals that sounded a little lifeless to me? Perhaps the larger drivers of the 800F would help make the midrange sound better or more full/alive/realistic to me?
I don't really know, but I do own the Paradigm Studio 10 V5s which is pretty much the predecessor to the 15Bs, and I did test them out on my living room with a sub and was amazed on how well they filled the room with sound from a these tiny speakers. Now I'm looking at a pair of the Studio 60 V5s instead because I really do love the sound of the old Studio series.
Julio Castrejon is offline  
post #35935 of 37378 Old 07-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Anyone using the premier series 800F fronts and 600C center? Wondering if it is really worth it to upgrade to the Polk Rti-a9's or just replace all the speakers with Paradigms. Does paradigm make in ceiling speakers for the surround and surround rear channels? If so which ones would timber match?

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH and Surrounds; Denon AVR X6500h
chiptouz is offline  
post #35936 of 37378 Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,881
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
Anyone using the premier series 800F fronts and 600C center? Wondering if it is really worth it to upgrade to the Polk Rti-a9's or just replace all the speakers with Paradigms. Does paradigm make in ceiling speakers for the surround and surround rear channels? If so which ones would timber match?

There is an interesting comparison....

Premier 800F to Polk RTi A9.... not exactly an apples to apples comparison...?

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
New24K is offline  
post #35937 of 37378 Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
chiptouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO - Suburb of KC
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
There is an interesting comparison....

Premier 800F to Polk RTi A9.... not exactly an apples to apples comparison...?
More of a comparison of the Polk RTi line vs. the new Paradigm Premier Series. I have not heard the Premier series so that was the comparison. These would be used 90% HT. The rest of my gear is in my signature. If the comparison choices are completely out of wack state why. I have always been interested in Paradigm speakers starting with my Atoms 20 years ago. Been using Polks since due to financial constraints. Not much of an issue now, but not wanting to spend $2400 per speaker.

My Movie Library - and still growing!
Family Room: Sony XBR-85x900F + Denon 4520ci + Oppo 203, Speakers: LCR: DIYSG Elusive 1099's, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: 2x LTD02 Designed UM18-22 Subs w/Nx6000d
Considering: DIYSG Volt10v2 for FH and Surrounds; Denon AVR X6500h
chiptouz is offline  
post #35938 of 37378 Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Member
 
blooberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
"Subtle" subs?

I suppose I'll get some comments that I'm Doing It Wrong (tm).

I live in a condo, so I'm sensitive to how this might affect my neighbors, but...I want some more bass. I currently have the Prestige 85fs, and I'm looking for some more on the bottom end.

My basic criteria so far is:
- Smaller sub, condo (and spouse) friendly
- Only 1 sub in the mix
- Bass that delivers but won't overpower or rattle the floor/walls
- Focus is music AND movies (it will be welcome w/ movies, but I want it to "wow" me on my music)

The main part of the room is 20x13x8 (~2000 ft^3) with a kitchen and hallway off to one side.

It's on the pricey side (for me), but I keep coming back to the Paradigm Seismic 110. It seems to deliver on both counts, although I haven't heard it with my particular components yet, and I've listened to precious little else so far.
I wanted to get some GroupThink going on what I should be looking at that meets those requirements.

Thanks!
(I'm thinking maybe this would be a better question for the subwoofer section of the forum, but my main contender so far *is* Paradigm...
And I've been getting some good info/criteria to add here from this thread )

Last edited by blooberry; 07-11-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Learning more about subs as I'm casting my net wider
blooberry is offline  
post #35939 of 37378 Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 3,738
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooberry View Post
I suppose I'll get some comments that I'm Doing It Wrong (tm).

I live in a condo, so I'm sensitive to how this might affect my neighbors, but...I want some more bass. I currently have the Prestige 85fs, and I'm looking for some more on the bottom end.

My basic criteria so far is:
- Smaller sub, condo (and spouse) friendly
- Only 1 sub in the mix
- Bass that delivers but won't overpower or rattle the floor/walls
- Focus is music AND movies (it will be welcome w/ movies, but I want it to "wow" me on my music)

The main part of the room is 20x13x8 (~2000 ft^3) with a kitchen and hallway off to one side.

It's on the pricey side (for me), but I keep coming back to the Paradigm Seismic 110. It seems to deliver on both counts, although I haven't heard it with my particular components yet, and I've listened to precious little else so far.
I wanted to get some GroupThink going on what I should be looking at that meets those requirements.

Thanks!
(I'm thinking maybe this would be a better question for the subwoofer section of the forum, but my main contender so far *is* Paradigm...
And I've been getting some good info/criteria to add here from this thread )
Paradigm subs are good, but a bit on the pricey side. The best thing about them is the
Perfect Bass Kit (PBK). Very good Correction software for the sub, you should spring for
It if you get a Paradigm sub. If you are using Anthem AVR it may not be necessary though.

I've got an ultra cube ten and it's a small compact sub with plenty of kick.

I'm partial to Rythmik subs, they are clean and very low distortion.
Scarriere likes this.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
grasshoppers is online now  
post #35940 of 37378 Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Member
 
blooberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Paradigm subs are good, but a bit on the pricey side. The best thing about them is the
Perfect Bass Kit (PBK). Very good Correction software for the sub, you should spring for
It if you get a Paradigm sub. If you are using Anthem AVR it may not be necessary though.

I've got an ultra cube ten and it's a small compact sub with plenty of kick.

I'm partial to Rythmik subs, they are clean and very low distortion.
Thanks for the tip to the Ultra Cube 10, I'll definitely be looking at that. It looks to check many of the same boxes as the Seismic. My local dealer is trying to liquidate a bunch of their cheaper line paradigm subs (I didn't pay attention to which at the time as I was just starting to spin up on the topic). They are doing so because they said Paradigm was going to be refreshing many of their sub models soon (no info other than that, sorry).

I looked at the Rythmiks (and SVS and Hsu) tonight. They mostly trend larger than what I'm *currently* imagining. If I end up going that way I'm not there yet.

One manufacturer I remember from waaaaay back is Velodyne. Are they still considered good? I am realizing that I don't really see anyone talking them up anymore.

As for the PBK, I do have an Anthem receiver with ARC, so I *think* that would cover it.

Thanks for the info!
blooberry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off