Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5996Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #36571 of 38578 Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Member
 
JVries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just received my Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C today. I must admit, somewhat disappointed. The fit and finish is utter garbage. There are clear indentations on the top of the speaker as if it's suffered from sub-par manufacturing or something has been dropped on top of it. The edges along the front are also questionable, with clear cracks and small chips. Ultimately, I didn't buy this primarily for the finish, so I'm going to hook it up and see how it sounds with my older Paradigms. If it works, I might get the matching floor standers and move the existing speakers to the office. If not, will try to convert this into a "sound bar" in the kid's room. Will let you know...
JVries is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36572 of 38578 Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Not what I'd expect. I'd document it with pics and call them.
ST Dog is offline  
post #36573 of 38578 Old 12-03-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 724
I'd return it in a heartbeat....take pics and call them. If you got them
Via fed-ex/UPS was the box beat up?

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
grasshoppers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36574 of 38578 Old 12-04-2018, 04:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am curious if the speaker in this condition left the production or the package was damaged in transport. In both cases they should exchange for a new one.

Once you connect please describe how it compares with your old Paradigms.

Yamaha RX-A1030, Mini Monitors, CC-190, Surround 1 sides & backs, SVS SB2000, Mitsubishi HC7900DW
burneika is offline  
post #36575 of 38578 Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,733
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVries View Post
Just received my Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C today. I must admit, somewhat disappointed. The fit and finish is utter garbage. There are clear indentations on the top of the speaker as if it's suffered from sub-par manufacturing or something has been dropped on top of it. The edges along the front are also questionable, with clear cracks and small chips. Ultimately, I didn't buy this primarily for the finish, so I'm going to hook it up and see how it sounds with my older Paradigms. If it works, I might get the matching floor standers and move the existing speakers to the office. If not, will try to convert this into a "sound bar" in the kid's room. Will let you know...

That's just not acceptable. Don't delay in documenting this with Paradigm. Keep us posted on both how they sound, and how Paradigm takes care of you.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #36576 of 38578 Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skytrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baden, Pa.
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 414
They should of never shipped that speaker. Don’t speak well for their Quality Control.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Skytrooper is offline  
post #36577 of 38578 Old 12-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Member
 
JVries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the feedback, all.

The box was a little worn, but not enough to contribute to the speakers condition. Also, the original factory tape appeared to be unbroken, so I believe I am the first to open it.

I did hook it up and must say I'm sufficiently impressed with the sound quality given the price. I've been running a phantom center for YEARS and never really thought I was missing anything. Well, I wish I invested in a dedicated center a long time ago.

So, given the low price of the speaker and the fact I bought from an on-line shop, I'm dreading the hassle and wait for a replacement. The defects aren't noticeable at a glance, unless the light is hitting it in the right way... I've got one more day to initiate a return. Will decide in the morning.
JVries is offline  
post #36578 of 38578 Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hdtv00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ill
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 162
So damn annoyed at Paradigm , they reworked their website big time and have removed nearly all of their old lineups from the specs section. Any studio series older than v5 gone. Right in middle of trying to piece together a system for a friend of the v4 line. Great timing...sigh.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k LG C9
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
hdtv00 is offline  
post #36579 of 38578 Old 12-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Member
 
JVries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
So damn annoyed at Paradigm , they reworked their website big time and have removed nearly all of their old lineups from the specs section. Any studio series older than v5 gone. Right in middle of trying to piece together a system for a friend of the v4 line. Great timing...sigh.
I noticed that recently as I was researching the Monitor SE 2000C. Well, you're in luck. You can still find the info here.
JVries is offline  
post #36580 of 38578 Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Yasen Stoynev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello fellow Paradigm owners,

I am looking for some advice.
I have a 5 Paradigm speakers setup (in my signature).
The fronts are Paradigm Monitor 11v7

So far I have been powering them via my Denon AVR-X3300 receiver, rated at 105W per channel in stereo, with 8ohm speakers. But recently started wondering if I can improve my sound by adding a separate amp, preferably not an integrated one, but maybe a power amp.
Now I started wondering and getting curious about valve/tube amps. But I am very confused with the technology, specs, etc., especially since they seem quite different than solid state (not that I know much about them either). Even though my speakers are fairly efficient, what power would be enough from a tube amp, with some left for headroom to avoid clipping? I like listening quite loud sometimes, though in a smaller room. By loud, idk, maybe 80db average, sometimes even 85-90db from 3m. distance (but I wanna be prepared for a bigger room).

Does any one have experience driving Monitor 11s w. tube/valve amps? I am looking for any sort of help.
My budget would be limited, probably not more than 400-600$, but I am OK with 2nd hand. So recommendations for particular amps would also be welcome. I can also look into some chi-fi or local DIY amps, which could have some good value.

But outside of tube/valve, what solid amps are you using to drive your 11s? What power should I be looking after to get some upgrade over my AVR? I know that the audio community is split between the topic of "different/better sounding amps", but c'mon, I should be able to get a small upgrade w. a separate over an AVR like X3300, right?
I posted a thread here, but no replies yet. :P

Sorry for the wall of text. I could really use some advice, general or more specific.

Thanks in advance.

Paradigm Monitor 11 v7; Paradigm Monitor Center 3 v7; Paradigm Reference Signature ADP1; Yamaha YST-SW315; Denon AVR-X3300; SMSL M8A DAC, Linn Kolektor; Lyngdorf SDA-2175
Schiit Magni 3; Hifiman HE-560; Philips Fidelio X2; AKG K551; Audeze Sine; FLC Technology FLC8S
Yasen Stoynev is offline  
post #36581 of 38578 Old 12-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I jumped at a new pair of Paradigm towers (Monitor 7 v7) on an impulse purchase for an extra HT room that is 90% gaming (PS4, Xbox, PS3). I was thinking I could them to my Titans as rears and my CC-170 center.

Now wondering if this $500 (heavily discounted as they are discontinued) would be better served on different towers (Jamo Studio S809, Klipsch RP 4000-F, Polk RTi A7, or similar Wharfedales). Always enjoyed my old Paradigm 7.1 and this room isn't a top priority, but wondering if investing in discontinued towers is a "cry twice" situation.

Thanks in advance.
Wilson47 is offline  
post #36582 of 38578 Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
GTDTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasen Stoynev View Post
Hello fellow Paradigm owners,

I am looking for some advice.
I have a 5 Paradigm speakers setup (in my signature).
The fronts are Paradigm Monitor 11v7

So far I have been powering them via my Denon AVR-X3300 receiver, rated at 105W per channel in stereo, with 8ohm speakers. But recently started wondering if I can improve my sound by adding a separate amp, preferably not an integrated one, but maybe a power amp.
Now I started wondering and getting curious about valve/tube amps. But I am very confused with the technology, specs, etc., especially since they seem quite different than solid state (not that I know much about them either). Even though my speakers are fairly efficient, what power would be enough from a tube amp, with some left for headroom to avoid clipping? I like listening quite loud sometimes, though in a smaller room. By loud, idk, maybe 80db average, sometimes even 85-90db from 3m. distance (but I wanna be prepared for a bigger room).

Does any one have experience driving Monitor 11s w. tube/valve amps? I am looking for any sort of help.
My budget would be limited, probably not more than 400-600$, but I am OK with 2nd hand. So recommendations for particular amps would also be welcome. I can also look into some chi-fi or local DIY amps, which could have some good value.

But outside of tube/valve, what solid amps are you using to drive your 11s? What power should I be looking after to get some upgrade over my AVR? I know that the audio community is split between the topic of "different/better sounding amps", but c'mon, I should be able to get a small upgrade w. a separate over an AVR like X3300, right?
I posted a thread here, but no replies yet. :P

Sorry for the wall of text. I could really use some advice, general or more specific.

Thanks in advance.
Not tube or solid, but class D. This is the best bang for the 500-600 dollar range.
https://classdaudio.com/class-d-ampl...mplifiers.html

I have one. I turned it down a bit as it was a tiny bit noisy, but I adjusted volumes elsewhere.
I have an Emotiva as well. I like it. Quiet. Gets the job done.

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic
GTDTS is offline  
post #36583 of 38578 Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 AM
Member
 
Yasen Stoynev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Maybe I should have mentioned I am from Eastern Europe. So an order from a US site would easily almost double in value when I pay taxes, delivery and duty.
Still if I find someone to bring me the stereo amp from the USA, which one of the Class D Audio would you say would be suitable for my Monitor 11v7 speakers? What RMS - 125W, 140W or 220W?

https://classdaudio.com/sds-250c-cla...amplifier.html
https://classdaudio.com/cda-250c-cla...amplifier.html
https://classdaudio.com/sds-400c-cla...amplifier.html
https://classdaudio.com/sds-440c-cla...amplifier.html

Thanks for the recommendation!

I would still be grateful for some help with picking a valve/tube amp or at least some clarification at what specs and RMS I should be after.

Paradigm Monitor 11 v7; Paradigm Monitor Center 3 v7; Paradigm Reference Signature ADP1; Yamaha YST-SW315; Denon AVR-X3300; SMSL M8A DAC, Linn Kolektor; Lyngdorf SDA-2175
Schiit Magni 3; Hifiman HE-560; Philips Fidelio X2; AKG K551; Audeze Sine; FLC Technology FLC8S
Yasen Stoynev is offline  
post #36584 of 38578 Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVries View Post
I noticed that recently as I was researching the Monitor SE 2000C. Well, you're in luck. You can still find the info here.
Thanks for posting that link. Great to be able to reference my V6 monitor specs.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, FireCube 2, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
post #36585 of 38578 Old 12-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
KCWolfPck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hello all. I will be moving into a new home shortly and it will have a dedicated space for my home theater.

My speaker system that was used in my previous home is:

Front: Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5
Center: Paradigm reference Studio CC-690 v.5
Rear Surround: Paradigm Millenia ADP
Surround Speakers: Paradigm Reference Studio Esprit v.4
Front Height: Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.5
Subwoofer: (2) JL Audio Fathom f113

In my new home, I have pre-wired for 4 ceiling speakers and 2 surround speakers. Since these can be in wall/ceiling, I am going to need to purchase some new speakers and am looking for recommendations.

I definitely plan to continue to use the existing fronts, center, and subs. But I'm not sure I want to continue to use the Studio 20s, Millenia ADP, or the Esprits.

I am looking for recommendations on Paradigm in-ceiling/wall speakers that would match well with my existing Studio 100s/CC-690. If there are no good in-wall solutions for the rear speakers, then I might use a wall mounted speaker if necessary.

I have attached a photo of the room layout and where the speakers will be placed. For reference, the room is 35' x 16' (8' ceilings on the front side of the room, 7'1" ceilings from the support pillars and back). The space between the support columns is 14' 8". Seating distance from the 150" 2.35:1 screen is about 12'. The support columns are why I have oriented the room this way (instead of placing the screen on the short wall).

Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2493140  

Last edited by KCWolfPck; 12-07-2018 at 08:46 AM.
KCWolfPck is offline  
post #36586 of 38578 Old 12-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
GTDTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post
Hello all. I will be moving into a new home shortly and it will have a dedicated space for my home theater.

My speaker system that was used in my previous home is:

Front: Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.5
Center: Paradigm reference Studio CC-690 v.5
Rear Surround: Paradigm Millenia ADP
Surround Speakers: Paradigm Reference Studio Esprit v.4
Front Height: Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.5
Subwoofer: (2) JL Audio Fathom f113

In my new home, I have pre-wired for 4 ceiling speakers and 2 surround speakers. Since these can be in wall/ceiling, I am going to need to purchase some new speakers and am looking for recommendations.

I definitely plan to continue to use the existing fronts, center, and subs. But I'm not sure I want to continue to use the Studio 20s, Millenia ADP, or the Esprits.

I am looking for recommendations on Paradigm in-ceiling/wall speakers that would match well with my existing Studio 100s/CC-690. If there are no good in-wall solutions for the rear speakers, then I might use a wall mounted speaker if necessary.

I have attached a photo of the room layout and where the speakers will be placed. For reference, the room is 35' x 16' (8' ceilings on the front side of the room, 7'1" ceilings from the support pillars and back). The space between the support columns is 14' 8". Seating distance from the 150" 2.35:1 screen is about 12'. The support columns are why I have oriented the room this way (instead of placing the screen on the short wall).

Thanks for any input!
From what I understand, you will have to go back to before the latest round of In Wall/In Ceiling. I have the Elites and they match the timbre of the Prestige. I can tell the difference in music when I had the Prestige CC 55 and Studio 60v5. The Prestige sounded clearer/cleaner. The Elites (and the pros...I think...I believe they share the same tweeter) match the Prestige exactly.
If it is for Movies, which it looks like to me, then don't worry about it. I'd get the Pro or the Elite lines based on your budget and how loud or how much power you want to push through them. If it is not all stereo, the Pro's should be fine. You won't be able to tell in a movie setting.

I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the in wall/in ceiling speakers performed. Very impressed. I have the angled 8" and the 6.5" Elites both in wall or in a box on the wall even though they are in ceiling speakers technically.
I will be getting another set as my basement looks a bit like yours, but I elected the "short" wall. Mine is 18' and I will eventually put 4 atmos in like your diagram.
Hope this helps.

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic
GTDTS is offline  
post #36587 of 38578 Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post
In my new home, I have pre-wired for 4 ceiling speakers and 2 surround speakers.
I'd move the Studio 20s to surround and add ceiling.

I don't know you'd notice much mismatch with any current ceiling speakers with movies.

How do you plan to use the heights with music? Do you have/expect to use much multichannel (more that 2) music?
ST Dog is offline  
post #36588 of 38578 Old 12-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
KCWolfPck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
I'd move the Studio 20s to surround and add ceiling.
That's a good idea. My main concern though is that that will limit walking space if they stick out too far from the wall. I'll have to check that out once I move in....but something to consider.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
How do you plan to use the heights with music? Do you have/expect to use much multichannel (more that 2) music?
With music listening, I usually stick to stereo or 5 channel if listening to a SACD.
KCWolfPck is offline  
post #36589 of 38578 Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post
My main concern though is that that will limit walking space if they stick out too far from the wall.
My sides/rears are mounted high (above head height) and fire down-ish.

Quote:
With music listening, I usually stick to stereo or 5 channel if listening to a SACD.
Then any decent ceiling speakers would work. Doesn't even have to be Paradigm.
ST Dog is offline  
post #36590 of 38578 Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
mlkmgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Meskwaki Nation
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Looking for sm pricing guidance. I have Mini-Monitor V5, Atom Monitor V5, CC-290 V5, and a CC-370 V2 all collecting dust. All came from dedicated room. Not a huge market for speakers here in central Iowa. I checked ebay but think sm of their prices are too high. I know Paradigms are quality speakers but dont believe prices should be almost as much as new (my opinion anyway). Was going to put in living room but went with a sound bar for asthetics. Any help??
mlkmgr is offline  
post #36591 of 38578 Old 12-08-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hdtv00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ill
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Anyone with a Paradigm Seismic 10 Subwoofer can tell me if the rubber on driver peeling off a little is an issue or a common thing



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	2494004  

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k LG C9
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub

Last edited by hdtv00; 12-08-2018 at 05:21 PM.
hdtv00 is offline  
post #36592 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi, I am in the process of converting my existing 7.1 system into a 7.1.4 system and have a couple questions that I would be interested in getting some advice on.
First, the room is not huge, roughly 14 feet deep and 15 feet wide. Head position when seated is about 3.5 feet from the back wall, could move forward another foot or so if needed. Current speakers are all Paradigm - studio 60s front, 20s surrounds (just switched out my ADP 590s as I read the dipoles aren't great for atmos), 10s rear, centre channel matches the 60s but can't remember the number. I installed 2 CI Elite E80-A's in front of the seating area (about half way between the fronts and the seats was the only spot in the ceiling that worked - ceiling height here is 85"). I am planning on moving the surrounds and rears from 18" above ear height to having the tweeters at ear height.
I really want to add 2 more ceiling speakers behind the listening area but there is a bulkhead full of ducting there. I would have to build a box underneath that so the ceiling height behind the seats would be about 73" after putting the box there.
1) Is it worth putting ceiling speakers at 73"? I was thinking another pair of the angled E80s would help compensate for the low ceiling as well as having the surrounds and rears at ear height would create more spatial separation.
2) Any specific advice for building a hanging box to optimize acoustics, or is this a bad idea altogether?
3) Would moving the seating forward help?
4) Any other words of wisdom to optimize this situation?
Thanks.
cogdok is offline  
post #36593 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Newbie
 
chuck*indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AMP recommendation for my 40s

I'm looking for a quality amp recommendation for the Studio Reference 40v2 speakers.


I'm not interested in an AVR such as the B&K AVR in the photo of the link, nor am I going to use the CC. We are moving to a new home and I want to simplify things by going to a 2 channel setup using my 40s as my mains.


http://www.cs2photography.com/BKHTsystem.jpg




Thank you
chuck*indy is offline  
post #36594 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
MajorTendonitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
So damn annoyed at Paradigm , they reworked their website big time and have removed nearly all of their old lineups from the specs section. Any studio series older than v5 gone. Right in middle of trying to piece together a system for a friend of the v4 line. Great timing...sigh.
My life’s never been the same since they dropped the Studio series . They need a new ceo
Skytrooper likes this.

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
MajorTendonitis is offline  
post #36595 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck*indy View Post
I'm looking for a quality amp recommendation for the Studio Reference 40v2 speakers.


I'm not interested in an AVR such as the B&K AVR in the photo of the link, nor am I going to use the CC. We are moving to a new home and I want to simplify things by going to a 2 channel setup using my 40s as my mains.


http://www.cs2photography.com/BKHTsystem.jpg




Thank you
You didn't specify a budget, there's many nice 2-channel out there
I'm very happy with my Outlaw Audio 2150. New model is the 2160. I ran my
Studio 40's (v4) with the 2150 and it sounded very good.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html
Naylia likes this.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
grasshoppers is offline  
post #36596 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,733
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck*indy View Post
I'm looking for a quality amp recommendation for the Studio Reference 40v2 speakers.

I'm not interested in an AVR such as the B&K AVR in the photo of the link, nor am I going to use the CC. We are moving to a new home and I want to simplify things by going to a 2 channel setup using my 40s as my mains.

Without knowing your budget, I'll throw this out:


https://www.d-sonic.com/products/m3a...amplifier.html


Yes, I am a big D-Sonic fan. Extremely pleased with how this amp has paired with my Paradigms and Totems. That photo makes is look bigger than it is. Small footprint, plenty of power.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #36597 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Naylia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hello Everyone!

Now officially a member of this thread as I've paid for my pair of Paradigm RVC-12SQ in-wall subwoofers and X-850 subwoofer amp Hopefully they arrive soon!

Home Theater - Video: Sony KDL-55W800B - Audio - 7.2 - AVR: Denon 2809CI, Left/Right: Paradigm Prestige 95F; Center: Paradigm Prestige 45C; Surrounds: Sonance IS4; Subwoofers: Paradigm RVC-12SQ with X850 Amplifier - Upgrade in Progress!
Naylia is offline  
post #36598 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Naylia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2018 View Post
Thanks again! I've compared the 85 and 95, and my only thing with 85 is the bass primarily. I was hoping to go to 95 and not have to use a sub because we're in a condo, but I don't know how movies would sound without a sub even if I have a 95/55 set. For music, 2 channel 95 are amazing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you already purchase? My dealer talked me down from the 95F to the 85F as he thought it complete overkill unless you had massive volume of air to move. My open floor plan is roughly 30x20 space with 9 ft ceilings and he is suggesting I get the 85.

Home Theater - Video: Sony KDL-55W800B - Audio - 7.2 - AVR: Denon 2809CI, Left/Right: Paradigm Prestige 95F; Center: Paradigm Prestige 45C; Surrounds: Sonance IS4; Subwoofers: Paradigm RVC-12SQ with X850 Amplifier - Upgrade in Progress!
Naylia is offline  
post #36599 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
Did you already purchase? My dealer talked me down from the 95F to the 85F as he thought it complete overkill unless you had massive volume of air to move. My open floor plan is roughly 30x20 space with 9 ft ceilings and he is suggesting I get the 85.


I have yet to purchase but whenever it is it'll be 95/55. Go for it. Your room is big! I'm sure the experts here will have the better advice, but as I was advised .. go with what your ears hear that bring a smile on your face. 95s did. I passed on an offer of a pair of 85Fs for an amazing price.. I'm waiting for the 95/55.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kumar2018 is offline  
post #36600 of 38578 Old 12-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
Did you already purchase? My dealer talked me down from the 95F to the 85F as he thought it complete overkill unless you had massive volume of air to move. My open floor plan is roughly 30x20 space with 9 ft ceilings and he is suggesting I get the 85.


He probably has overstock of the 85s. To my ears, 95s and 85s sound a world apart. Try them if you haven't heard them. Take as much time testing as you want. Try another dealer as well.. you might even get a better price to win your business over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kumar2018 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off