Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5473Likes

post #37381 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
They'd be decent for Atmos, sure, but I'd spend just a bit more and look at the P65-R. The smaller size will be just fine, and the price doesn't jump up that much, but you'll get an overall better performing speaker. Will you notice? Maybe, maybe not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
My tops are P-65R and they're great, flattest measuring speakers in the system. If I had one wish for them, I'd wish for aimable tweeters. I would go with P-80A if I had the chance to do-over the top setup.
I think after these suggestions I will go with the P-65R's then, Maybe down the line I will go for the 80's. Thanks for the input!

Only piece left in the system would be the sub, she was suggesting the Monitor SUB 12 but i see that is discontinued, for the price would i be better going with an SVS or the Defiance X10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37382 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto View Post
I think after these suggestions I will go with the P-65R's then, Maybe down the line I will go for the 80's. Thanks for the input!

Only piece left in the system would be the sub, she was suggesting the Monitor SUB 12 but i see that is discontinued, for the price would i be better going with an SVS or the Defiance X10?
Generally, Paradigm subs aren't very competitive at their price points, but neither are SVS. How much do you have to spend?
post #37383 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Generally, Paradigm subs aren't very competitive at their price points, but neither are SVS. How much do you have to spend?
I have $1000 set for that, I already have a REL T5 from an older setup that will go in the back of the room. Its for a 7.2.4 setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37384 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Quote:
I have $1000 set for that, I already have a REL T5 from an older setup that will go in the back of the room. Its for a 7.2.4 setup.
For around $1000 i'd look at the 15" offerings from PSA, HSU, Rythmik or Monolith.
sigpig likes this.
post #37385 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
That REL is sealed, so I'd be looking for a sealed sub to go with it. That rules out the Paradigm V/X series. I'd be thinking about a PSA S1510, or a pair of their upcoming sealed 12s if you can wait a few months. That, or ditch the REL and just grab a PSA V1510 or Hsu VTF3 Mk5.
post #37386 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

I give a thumbs up for the Pro Series in wall/ceiling line up.
I have 4 of the P-80A's (2 atmos and two surround all in ceiling) and used the P-80 for the center channel (to save some money for now) and it is really fantastic basement HT.
Use two Studio 60v5 towers for the left and right.

Recommend you look at HSU for the sub. Big fan of that line up. Super configurable. Sealed, ported, dual ported, with a Q adjustment plus 600W RMS and 2000 Watts peak. Just love it. Have one is a large room and their largest in a small room...can't say enough.

L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2. 65" JS9500. Fairly new audioholic
post #37387 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any Paradigm Prestige owners from Bay Area here?

My speaker selection is narrowed down to four: KEF LS50 bookshelf, Revel Performa F208, Ascend tower - or Paradigm 75F/85F.

Would love to chat to someone who's owned the Paradigms for a while?

I'm living in Menlo Park.
post #37388 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neotinto View Post

My speaker selection is narrowed down to four: KEF LS50 bookshelf, Revel Performa F208, Ascend tower - or Paradigm 75F/85F.

YO!

I have listened to the KEF LS50, albeit not extensively - but I liked what I heard. If you are considering the Prestige 75/85, you could also consider KEF-R Series - I really do like them as well, though for my tastes the Paradigm edged them out for a few reasons. I'd not be disappointed owning KEF-R. I do love the Prestige though, very glad I went with these.

Wanted to demo the Revels, but nobody local (that I could find) had them as actually available for demo. Even so, I prefer the Prestige from a purely aesthetic stand point over anything from Revel, but that's nothing more than a personal thing. The 85F is said to be the "sweet spot" in the Prestige lineup, and I listened to both quite a bit at my local dealer (now closed, unfortunately) and I liked them both.

That's quite a spread though - from KEF bookshelves to formidable towers....can you give us some more background?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #37389 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 PM

I heard Revel F208s twice - each time they sounded like a completely different speaker.
Really liked the soundstage of Paradigms, with their well-braced cabinets (Also heard these twice, much more consistent).

My bookshelf AND floorstander musings must sound like ones of a complete noob (which I am).

At the same time:

There's a furniture piece in the room, that is part of the equation (WAF) - large hipster driftwood shelf:

Furni stays = bookshelf speaker, and the only one we both liked was KEF.

Furni moved to other room = we got space for floorstanders (as above).

We’re now looking to answer this question - what’s the best sound we can get in our space (within your budget), and does that justify hassle of moving furni...
post #37390 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the Paradigm Signature C5 center channel. The ideal center channel stand for the C5 center channel is the J-18C speaker stand, which has a height of about 17”. Due to my large projection screen, the max height that I need for a center channel is 10” high. I cannot get an acoustically transparent screen (I use a retractable, ambient light rejecting screen, and this combination does not come with acoustically transparent functionality). Hence, I will be putting the center channel under the screen, but I don’t want the overall height of center channel plus stand to exceed 20”.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what center channel stand I can use (max height of stand must be about 10”)?
post #37391 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I heard Revel F208s twice - each time they sounded like a completely different speaker.
Hmmm. If they were in the same environment, on the very same equipment (unaltered, as in room EQ application, etc.) - then that's kinda weird.

Quote:
Really liked the soundstage of Paradigms, with their well-braced cabinets (Also heard these twice, much more consistent).
No arguments here.

Quote:
My bookshelf AND floorstander musings must sound like ones of a complete noob (which I am).
Everybody starts somewhere...

Quote:
At the same time:

There's a furniture piece in the room, that is part of the equation (WAF) - large hipster driftwood shelf:

Furni stays = bookshelf speaker, and the only one we both liked was KEF.

Furni moved to other room = we got space for floorstanders (as above).

We’re now looking to answer this question - what’s the best sound we can get in our space (within your budget), and does that justify hassle of moving furni...
Gotcha!

So, I don't know if you can audition them, but if you have a chance - look into Totem Acoustic - for both solutions - especially if your gearing towards music. Yeah, I know this a Paradigm forum and I'm a fan, but also equally a fan of Totem Acoustic. I was captivated the very first I ever heard a Totem bookshelf - the sound coming out of such diminutive speakers was mind-blowing (for me, anyway). And if you're pushing into Revel F208 territory from a budget stand point, I'd also look into the Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower or Forest. Smaller than the F208 and 85F, which might have a good WAF? But not to be fooled by their size - they put out. They throw an amazing sound stage (bookshelves and towers, both impressive), impressive build quality (also Canadian).

One of the top dealers was here in San Jose, the aforementioned closed one, which would have been the place to go, but there is a Totem dealer in San Francisco. O.k., fanboy mode off.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #37392 of 37517 Old 08-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. If they were in the same environment, on the very same equipment (unaltered, as in room EQ application, etc.) - then that's kinda weird.
Two different rooms - coming from a noob: amazing what difference a room makes.
One room was an open space, tall ceiling (formerly, a South SF theater - where a dealer has set up shop) - regardless of wattage, sound was dissipating, and soundstage would never form.
The other time - super small room, where Revels became... boomy? Again, space left much to be desired...

Quote:
So, I don't know if you can audition them, but if you have a chance - look into Totem Acoustic - for both solutions - especially if your gearing towards music. Yeah, I know this a Paradigm forum and I'm a fan, but also equally a fan of Totem Acoustic. I was captivated the very first I ever heard a Totem bookshelf - the sound coming out of such diminutive speakers was mind-blowing (for me, anyway). And if you're pushing into Revel F208 territory from a budget stand point, I'd also look into the Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower or Forest. Smaller than the F208 and 85F, which might have a good WAF? But not to be fooled by their size - they put out. They throw an amazing sound stage (bookshelves and towers, both impressive), impressive build quality (also Canadian).

One of the top dealers was here in San Jose, the aforementioned closed one, which would have been the place to go, but there is a Totem dealer in San Francisco. O.k., fanboy mode off.
The Totems - how would you describe the soundstage feel to them?

Probably lacking vocab here - Paradigms have struck me as... lush? Juicy?
Full stage, one that you can almost touch...
post #37393 of 37517 Old 08-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi Members,

Need some options here as I haven't been on here in awhile. I have a chance to get a pair of Studio 60s V5 used from an AV store that got them in trade in. They would cost approx. 850 for the pair. They seem to be in great condition but the store has no history. I have attached the picture here. I currently have Monitor 9 V6, CC390 V6, Atom V5 for Atmos, and Monitor V6 for surrounds. I am driving all by Pioneer sc-85. Question is 850 a good deal if the speakers are in good condition and how would they sound with the rest of my speakers? I would test out the studios prior to purchase. Let me know your thought or questions as if I am doing this I need to do it by tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s60v5.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	2605844  

Last edited by spikeitaudi; 08-22-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #37394 of 37517 Old 08-22-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Totems - how would you describe the soundstage feel to them?

Probably lacking vocab here - Paradigms have struck me as... lush? Juicy?
Full stage, one that you can almost touch...
I think the Totems in general across the lineups throw amazing sound stages. The former San Jose dealer had several different lines set up in what I'd call a large demo space, as well as a few of their smaller ones (bookshelves and towers) in their large, voluminous main show room. It didn't matter where they were - they shined.

Sounds like you are going music?
KenM10759 likes this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #37395 of 37517 Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I think the Totems in general across the lineups throw amazing sound stages. The former San Jose dealer had several different lines set up in what I'd call a large demo space, as well as a few of their smaller ones (bookshelves and towers) in their large, voluminous main show room. It didn't matter where they were - they shined.

Sounds like you are going music?
Yes, mostly music.
Might throw in a TV at some point - and you may think it's weird => to display photo slideshows, while listening to music.
Create an ambiance.
Radio Paradise style.

Close to pulling trigger on Paradigm - what gives me pause, is their return policy: lack thereof.
What if the speakers don't sound good in my space? How do I take this risk.
post #37396 of 37517 Old 08-22-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, mostly music.
Might throw in a TV at some point - and you may think it's weird => to display photo slideshows, while listening to music.
Create an ambiance.
Radio Paradise style.

Close to pulling trigger on Paradigm - what gives me pause, is their return policy: lack thereof.
What if the speakers don't sound good in my space? How do I take this risk.
Yeah, definitely consider Totem for music. Music Lovers Audio - San Francisco and Berkeley are the closest bay area dealers at this point.

Not sure on return policies - it'd be up to the individual retailer/dealer, or manufacturer if you go direct.

As far as sounding good in the space - well, the space definitely plays greatly into the response of the speakers. My speakers sounded better at the dealer in their let's just say better room than I have, than in my space. But I knew that'd be the case, couldn't be helped! (And they still sound quite good in spite of the room working against me.)

Have you had speakers in the space before, and if so, how were they?

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #37397 of 37517 Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Very happy with my 85f and x15 setup!

mavericks64, Jonas2 and GTDTS like this.
post #37398 of 37517 Old 08-23-2019, 04:45 AM

Doing things piece by piece as money allows. So I bought the 85s first, then just recently added the sub and got a pair of monitor atom se to use as rear fill, which obviously one is currently being used as center until I spend the cheddar on the 55c.

I will play around with the location/orientation of the center channel to see if results improve.

While budget is the main reason this has been done piece by piece, it’s been fun to tweak and play with and appreciate the gains slowly.
GTDTS likes this.
post #37399 of 37517 Old 08-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeitaudi View Post
Hi Members,

Need some options here as I haven't been on here in awhile. I have a chance to get a pair of Studio 60s V5 used from an AV store that got them in trade in. They would cost approx. 850 for the pair. They seem to be in great condition but the store has no history. I have attached the picture here. I currently have Monitor 9 V6, CC390 V6, Atom V5 for Atmos, and Monitor V6 for surrounds. I am driving all by Pioneer sc-85. Question is 850 a good deal if the speakers are in good condition and how would they sound with the rest of my speakers? I would test out the studios prior to purchase. Let me know your thought or questions as if I am doing this I need to do it by tomorrow.
I don't know US pricing but I paid $900 CAD for a pair recently and felt it was worth it, especially for music. Those appear to be gloss black which was an up charge as well.
post #37400 of 37517 Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball05 View Post
Doing things piece by piece as money allows. So I bought the 85s first, then just recently added the sub and got a pair of monitor atom se to use as rear fill, which obviously one is currently being used as center until I spend the cheddar on the 55c.

I will play around with the location/orientation of the center channel to see if results improve.

While budget is the main reason this has been done piece by piece, it’s been fun to tweak and play with and appreciate the gains slowly.

The other side of your couch is feeling neglected though, it wants its own subwoofer as well.....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #37401 of 37517 Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 214
^^
Jonas2...you are an enabler extraordinaire.
Jonas2 likes this.
post #37402 of 37517 Old 08-24-2019, 07:10 AM

The single x15 is amazing as is. Can’t imagine needing more bass!

That said, you can twist my arm into getting that 55center sooner rather than later...
post #37403 of 37517 Old 08-24-2019, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
I have the Paradigm Signature C5 center channel. The ideal center channel stand for the C5 center channel is the J-18C speaker stand, which has a height of about 17”. Due to my large projection screen, the max height that I need for a center channel is 10” high. I cannot get an acoustically transparent screen (I use a retractable, ambient light rejecting screen, and this combination does not come with acoustically transparent functionality). Hence, I will be putting the center channel under the screen, but I don’t want the overall height of center channel plus stand to exceed 20”.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what center channel stand I can use (max height of stand must be about 10”)?
I had the same and had to get a wood working buddy to make me one It was pretty easy to make.

Anthem AVM 60, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" Curved AT Scope Screen, Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 Laser 3D Projector, Samsung 4K Blu-ray Player, Oculus Rift, Quest and Go VR, Xbox One X, PS4, Clark Synthesis Transducer For Chair

Last edited by studlygoorite; 08-24-2019 at 08:20 AM.
post #37404 of 37517 Old 08-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
I have the Paradigm Signature C5 center channel. The ideal center channel stand for the C5 center channel is the J-18C speaker stand, which has a height of about 17”. Due to my large projection screen, the max height that I need for a center channel is 10” high. I cannot get an acoustically transparent screen (I use a retractable, ambient light rejecting screen, and this combination does not come with acoustically transparent functionality). Hence, I will be putting the center channel under the screen, but I don’️t want the overall height of center channel plus stand to exceed 20”.

I had the same and had to get a wood working buddy to make me one [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] It was pretty easy to make.

I couldn’t find anything online except maybe this:

http://soundanchors.com/products/2082/studio-center

There’s not much detail about it though and not sure how the center channel would attach to it. I would like to use the built-in holes of the C5 center channel and I wouldn’t want to drill any new holes. I’m starting to think a custom made stand as you said would be best. There’s a local metal fabricator nearby who I used to create ceiling mounts for my bookshelf Atmos speakers.
post #37405 of 37517 Old 08-25-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Neotinto,

I have been extremely happy with my Prestige setup. I have 95f’s with the 55c and 25s surrounds. Originally I was running a Yamaha CX-A5100 with an outboard Sunfire TGA-7401 amplifier. I thought this sounded very good until I got rid of my separates and went with an Anthem MRX-1120. I also have a PSA S3611 in the mix and all I can say is WOW!!! The Anthem, with ARC, smokes the Yamaha in every way. The Yamaha/Sunfire combo was no slouch but Anthem is definitely next level.

I had auditioned everything from Revel F208, Martin Logan, B&W, Focal and Golden Ear. There may be others that I’m forgetting. The Paradigms were consistently awesome at every demo. The rest were good but didn’t leave me overly impressed. I love them even more now that I have them at home. I’ve had these now since October and have stopped looking at other speakers wondering “what if.” My best speaker purchase to date, hands down!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A0B2C09-A11B-4378-B9B3-1A3FB0B493E5_1566786435407.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	2607188  
sschen, sigpig, Jonas2 and 2 others like this.

Paradigm Prestige 95F Fronts, Paradigm Prestige 55C Center, Paradigm Prestige 25S Surrounds/Rear Surrounds, Klipsch RP-500SA Front Heights, Power Sound Audio S3611 Subwoofer, Anthem MRX-1120, Oppo BDP 103 Universal Blu Ray Player, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Apple TV 4K, Samsung UN75H6350 LED Smart TV
post #37406 of 37517 Old 08-25-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottwhite1 View Post
I had auditioned everything from Revel F208, Martin Logan, B&W, Focal and Golden Ear. There may be others that I’m forgetting. The Paradigms were consistently awesome at every demo. The rest were good but didn’t leave me overly impressed. I love them even more now that I have them at home. I’ve had these now since October and have stopped looking at other speakers wondering “what if.” My best speaker purchase to date, hands down!

I like that equipment rack too - very steam-punkish!
sigpig likes this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #37407 of 37517 Old 08-25-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I like that equipment rack too - very steam-punkish!
Thanks brother! I made it myself. I couldn't find anything commercial that was affordable to fit my components so I made the framing out of black pipe and built my own shelves. I've gotten lots of positive feedback on it.
Jonas2 likes this.

Paradigm Prestige 95F Fronts, Paradigm Prestige 55C Center, Paradigm Prestige 25S Surrounds/Rear Surrounds, Klipsch RP-500SA Front Heights, Power Sound Audio S3611 Subwoofer, Anthem MRX-1120, Oppo BDP 103 Universal Blu Ray Player, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Apple TV 4K, Samsung UN75H6350 LED Smart TV
post #37408 of 37517 Old 08-26-2019, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghaus View Post
I don't know US pricing but I paid $900 CAD for a pair recently and felt it was worth it, especially for music. Those appear to be gloss black which was an up charge as well.
Thanks Egghaus. I ended up listening to them and they sounded incredible compared to the Monitors. Got them home and they sound even better in my home. Thank you for your feedback.
post #37409 of 37517 Old 08-28-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with replacing CC-290

Hello,

I am a longtime Paradigm owner and hav 20 yr old Studio 20 that is still going strong.

Several years ago, I added CC-290 for the center channel and enjoy the setup. However, my recent home remodel is forcing me to replace the center channel with something that can be on-wall or in-wall, but it cannot be free standing.

What are my options ? Millenia 30 ? Or Ci-Pro LCR ?

I do have a SVS-12 sub that also is older, but works well and keeps the neighbors awake , however, I dont think it works particularly well with a crossover around 120Hz

Rooms 14x20, Amp is Citation 7.1 and Processor is Integra 80.3, Most music is vinyl stereo, and movies are a mix of sci-fi and rom-com

Regards
post #37410 of 37517 Old 08-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by snigdhendu View Post
Hello,

I am a longtime Paradigm owner and hav 20 yr old Studio 20 that is still going strong.

Several years ago, I added CC-290 for the center channel and enjoy the setup. However, my recent home remodel is forcing me to replace the center channel with something that can be on-wall or in-wall, but it cannot be free standing.

What are my options ? Millenia 30 ? Or Ci-Pro LCR ?

I do have a SVS-12 sub that also is older, but works well and keeps the neighbors awake , however, I dont think it works particularly well with a crossover around 120Hz

Rooms 14x20, Amp is Citation 7.1 and Processor is Integra 80.3, Most music is vinyl stereo, and movies are a mix of sci-fi and rom-com

Regards
Does a shelf not work for your CC-290?

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page