Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5493Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37441 of 37563 Old 09-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by snigdhendu View Post
I will try it for sure before spending more - dollars are scarce after a remodel. It is a 2006 design and I never really played it at anything above 80 as the studio 20 was perfect for my needs.
Does that Integra allow different crossover settings for each channel (lile Anthem) or is it a global setting (like Pioneer)?


If you are only feeding a few channels (like center) the extra 80-120Hz signal you'll be fine.

LFE channel can have content up to 120 Hz anyway, a little more from the center won't phase it.

My PDR-12 handles 120 down from center/surrounds just fine. My fronts worked down significantly lower, but the single crossover setting on thia Pioneer means they aren't tasked with it. (One more reason to go back to Anthem)
ST Dog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37442 of 37563 Old 09-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
amairphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Order the P-80a's. Thought.... Why not?
amairphoto is offline  
post #37443 of 37563 Old 09-07-2019, 01:24 AM
Member
 
snigdhendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Does that Integra allow different crossover settings for each channel (lile Anthem) or is it a global setting (like Pioneer)?


If you are only feeding a few channels (like center) the extra 80-120Hz signal you'll be fine.

LFE channel can have content up to 120 Hz anyway, a little more from the center won't phase it.

My PDR-12 handles 120 down from center/surrounds just fine. My fronts worked down significantly lower, but the single crossover setting on thia Pioneer means they aren't tasked with it. (One more reason to go back to Anthem)
Yes. the Integra supports independent crossover for each channel, so I get to keep the current settings for the mains. I remember the SVS PB12-ISD had a pretty flat response upto 200Hz, but I could be wrong. It will be worth a try
snigdhendu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37444 of 37563 Old 09-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooberry View Post
One manufacturer I remember from waaaaay back is Velodyne. Are they still considered good? I am realizing that I don't really see anyone talking them up anymore.

Thanks for the info!
I have had a Velodyne Optimum 8 sub for ten years now, and have no intention of getting rid of it, for the following reasons:

- low distortion from sealed enclosure and 1200 W class D amplifier; certainly lower than the distortion of my dual 6" tower speaker setup (note that 150 Hz and below THD is especially difficult to measure, even in a full anechoic chamber)
- in house room correction specifically for the sub included, with an insanely long mike
- remote included with different modes available
- quality crossover and useful (to me) biamping feature: I run a passive attenuator, giving my power amp only the high pass, knowing that it's a bit soft in the bass and that midrange is its strongest feature
- more compact enclosure than most, good for people who have to move for work in another country

A twelve would probably more more air, yes. But Velodyne has powered the hell out of a smaller driver to make the most of the available space.

I heard that the company had gone downhill when the children took over: they are more interested in manufacturing more cheaply than creating innovative products. Their website is still up, but doesn't make any sense. Competition at $1500 and up is probably better than the Optimum line, $700 and under, probably worse. I don't really know how different subs really sound: certainly the differences would be more subtle than between the treble or midrange of different full range speakers. I am willing to pay more money for lower distortion in a sub, but not at this time. I would definitely be looking for Class D again and not Class AB. I would probably look at a Martin Logan Dynamo for around $1000.

Last edited by dan3952; 09-07-2019 at 05:47 PM.
dan3952 is offline  
post #37445 of 37563 Old 09-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
porschetech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've got about $3k budget to upgrade my fronts. i'm hoping to find a pair of S6's with a matching centre. does anyone here have any leads or any owners thinking about selling their own? TIA
porschetech is offline  
post #37446 of 37563 Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Member
 
fscottwhite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
Just made the change to the Prestige 95F/55C front stage with 15Bs for surrounds. Marantz 7012/7025 is powering everything and they sound great and it should have enough power, but my curiosity for future upgrades is certainly there.


Anthem will be coming out with new processors next year and that's really when I'll be thinking about doing this. But I'm curious who has directly compared the Marantz sound versus the Anthem and Emotiva sound. If I made the change I would prefer to go with the Emotiva 11 ch amp (3 high powered channels) with Anthem processing. I'm specifically asking if there is a drastic change in the quality and type of sound.
I currently run an Anthem MRX-1120 with my 95F/55C/25S combo. I initially had a Definitive Technology combo with an Integra DHC 80.2 processor and an outboard Sunfire TGA-7401. I upgraded to a Yamaha CX-A5100 processor which was a definite improvement over the Integra. I didn't have an opportunity to hear how the Integra sounded with my Paradigms. Ultimately, I upgraded to the Anthem AV receiver. I tried the Anthem with and without the external Sunfire amplification. I got rid of the Sunfire and haven't looked back. Anthem's ARC is far ahead of Audyssey and YPAO. It's Anthem all the way for me!

Paradigm Prestige 95F Fronts, Paradigm Prestige 55C Center, Paradigm Prestige 25S Surrounds/Rear Surrounds, Klipsch RP-500SA Front Heights, Power Sound Audio S3611 Subwoofer, Anthem MRX-1120, Oppo BDP 103 Universal Blu Ray Player, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Apple TV 4K, Samsung UN75H6350 LED Smart TV
fscottwhite1 is offline  
post #37447 of 37563 Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,026
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Anyone know if the Premier towers (or all Premier speakers) that come in gloss black - are ALL gloss black except for the front baffle?

From pictures it looks like the top is a satin black and not gloss black...

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #37448 of 37563 Old 09-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Member
 
ashergill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if CC-570 is a good match for Paradigm Studio 100 V5? I bought the Studio 100s a few years ago with the intention of using in a 2.1 setup, but now plugging them into my HT setup, and need a center channel.

Also, curious to know if anyone is using an Arcam receiver to drive Studio 100s. I recently upgraded an old Denon receiver to a newer one (x3600H), but am finding that it was not much of an improvement in terms of sound quality from what I had with an 8 year old receiver. After some additional research, I've decided to return the Denon and get an Arcam (looking at a used AVR850 or AVR550.) Wondering if the amp in the AVR550 or AVR850 is enough to drive the speakers. I do have an ATI AT1802, but am hoping to use that for a pure stereo setup in a second location.

Thanks for any input.

XBR75X950G | Denon 3311Ci | ATI AT1802 Amp | Paradigm Studio 100 v5 | Rythmik FV15HP
Music Hall MMF 5.1 | Xbox One | Roku Ultra
ashergill is offline  
post #37449 of 37563 Old 09-15-2019, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergill View Post
Does anyone know if CC-570 is a good match for Paradigm Studio 100 V5? I bought the Studio 100s a few years ago with the intention of using in a 2.1 setup, but now plugging them into my HT setup, and need a center channel.

Also, curious to know if anyone is using an Arcam receiver to drive Studio 100s. I recently upgraded an old Denon receiver to a newer one (x3600H), but am finding that it was not much of an improvement in terms of sound quality from what I had with an 8 year old receiver. After some additional research, I've decided to return the Denon and get an Arcam (looking at a used AVR850 or AVR550.) Wondering if the amp in the AVR550 or AVR850 is enough to drive the speakers. I do have an ATI AT1802, but am hoping to use that for a pure stereo setup in a second location.

Thanks for any input.
If you are able to find a CC-590 that would be your ideal setup, however the CC-570 also matches well with the 100's.

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
decibels is offline  
post #37450 of 37563 Old 09-15-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,722
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Anyone know if the Premier towers (or all Premier speakers) that come in gloss black - are ALL gloss black except for the front baffle?

From pictures it looks like the top is a satin black and not gloss black...

That might be a call to Paradigm! Just ring 'em, they'll take care of you.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #37451 of 37563 Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergill View Post
I've decided to return the Denon and get an Arcam (looking at a used AVR850 or AVR550.) Wondering if the amp in the AVR550 or AVR850 is enough to drive the speakers.
I think Dirac in the Arcam AVRs will be a noticable improvement over the Denon. But it depends on how bad the room is. Can't correct much in a good room.

Should drive the speakers fine. But depends in you room and desired levels.

Would be on my list if it had a few analog video inputs.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37452 of 37563 Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Member
 
ashergill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
If you are able to find a CC-590 that would be your ideal setup, however the CC-570 also matches well with the 100's.
Been difficult to come across a CC-590. I've seen a couple, but one didn't match the color and the other was local pickup only. If there is a significant difference, I don't mind waiting until I come across the right unit.

XBR75X950G | Denon 3311Ci | ATI AT1802 Amp | Paradigm Studio 100 v5 | Rythmik FV15HP
Music Hall MMF 5.1 | Xbox One | Roku Ultra
ashergill is offline  
post #37453 of 37563 Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Member
 
ashergill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
I think Dirac in the Arcam AVRs will be a noticable improvement over the Denon. But it depends on how bad the room is. Can't correct much in a good room.

Should drive the speakers fine. But depends in you room and desired levels.

Would be on my list if it had a few analog video inputs.
Thanks for the input. Found a lightly used demo from an Arcam authorized dealer for $3300 out the door, so pulled the trigger. Should have it in a few days.

As for the room, I don't really know what makes one good or bad. I plan to set up the Arcam without Dirac for a few days of listening, and then do the room correction and see if I can pick up the difference.

XBR75X950G | Denon 3311Ci | ATI AT1802 Amp | Paradigm Studio 100 v5 | Rythmik FV15HP
Music Hall MMF 5.1 | Xbox One | Roku Ultra
ashergill is offline  
post #37454 of 37563 Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergill View Post
As for the room, I don't really know what makes one good or bad. I plan to set up the Arcam without Dirac for a few days of listening, and then do the room correction and see if I can pick up the difference.
If you haven't treated it specifically for audio it's probably bad.

Good deal, I wish I could spend $3k on an AVR.

You may not notice a difference w/o Dirac.
Maybe louder because the Arcam has real power ratings vs marketing numbers on the Denon. I know my Anthem was like that compared to a higher, spec Pioneer.

But room correction should make the biggest difference.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37455 of 37563 Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergill View Post
Been difficult to come across a CC-590. I've seen a couple, but one didn't match the color and the other was local pickup only. If there is a significant difference, I don't mind waiting until I come across the right unit.
Hi, my typo on the response, I meant to refer to the CC-690 rather than the CC-590. You will notice a big enough improvement with the 690, as long as you have the physical space for it!!

Apologies for the typo...

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
decibels is offline  
post #37456 of 37563 Old 09-18-2019, 04:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Would the Paradigm Mellenia One speakers be a timber match to the Prestige series for hanging on the ceiling for atmos duties?
JayNTee is offline  
post #37457 of 37563 Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys. I am looking to buy some new speakers. I am currently using these Pioneer SP-FS52. They sound alright for what they are worth $200 for the pair. I want to upgrade my speakers and I came across these PARADIGM MONITOR SE 6000F. I have never owned or heard a Paradigm speaker before, but I know the brand is of good repute and I like that they are white because I want them to match my set up and room. I was interested in the Revel Concerta2 M16 but they are a bit too pricey at the moment for me. Those Paradigm towers look awesome however, will they be a noticeable improvement over my current ones?
theHeartless NooB is offline  
post #37458 of 37563 Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,744
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by theHeartless NooB View Post
Hi guys. I am looking to buy some new speakers. I am currently using these Pioneer SP-FS52. They sound alright for what they are worth $200 for the pair. I want to upgrade my speakers and I came across these PARADIGM MONITOR SE 6000F. I have never owned or heard a Paradigm speaker before, but I know the brand is of good repute and I like that they are white because I want them to match my set up and room. I was interested in the Revel Concerta2 M16 but they are a bit too pricey at the moment for me. Those Paradigm towers look awesome however, will they be a noticeable improvement over my current ones?
Yes. Profoundly so.

And in every measurable way except your bank account. The Pioneer's owe you nothing, but those Monitor SE 6000F are a true step-up. Of course the Revel Concerta are the best of the 3, but if those hurt the wallet too much then you've got a good alternative there.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #37459 of 37563 Old 09-19-2019, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
3fingerbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey guys I’m looking at speakers for my home theater area which is on the larger size, 29 feet deep and 24 feet wide, with a 171” diagonal 2.35 screen. For speakers up front I’m leaning towards the Prestige 85F and 55C. Another option is the Elite E5 LCR up front. But either way, in the rear I need to do in-wall speakers due to aesthetic considerations, so probably the E80-IW. My AV dealer says mixing the Prestige and Elite series isn’t a great idea, he would just go one or the other. I’m no audiophile and I generally like to break the rules so I’m not sure I agree. For subs I’ve been recommended a pair of the Seismic 110s. What say ye?
3fingerbrown is offline  
post #37460 of 37563 Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,722
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
Would the Paradigm Mellenia One speakers be a timber match to the Prestige series for hanging on the ceiling for atmos duties?
Not exactly a match, but they would probably be fine. I'd call Paradigm support and see what they think about that matching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingerbrown View Post
Hey guys I’m looking at speakers for my home theater area which is on the larger size, 29 feet deep and 24 feet wide, with a 171” diagonal 2.35 screen. For speakers up front I’m leaning towards the Prestige 85F and 55C. Another option is the Elite E5 LCR up front. But either way, in the rear I need to do in-wall speakers due to aesthetic considerations, so probably the E80-IW. My AV dealer says mixing the Prestige and Elite series isn’t a great idea, he would just go one or the other. I’m no audiophile and I generally like to break the rules so I’m not sure I agree. For subs I’ve been recommended a pair of the Seismic 110s. What say ye?
I disagree with the dealer. Now, it's not mains, but Anthem indicates the Elites are the technical match for the Prestige when it comes to the in-ceiling units, so I'm going to apply that to the other units as well. I think you'd be just fine using Prestige mains and Elite surrounds. Not sure? Just like I recommended above - call Paradigm, run it by them. Sure, ideal world, you'd stick with the same lineup across the board (that is one philosophy), but the world is seldom ideal.

Seismic 110s - too dinky for that space IMHO. Go bigger, and you can go Paradigm, but you'll get more bang and bass for your buck out of brands like SVS, Hsu, Rhythmik, PSA to name some of the top popular companies.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #37461 of 37563 Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingerbrown View Post
Hey guys I’m looking at speakers for my home theater area which is on the larger size, 29 feet deep and 24 feet wide, with a 171” diagonal 2.35 screen. For speakers up front I’m leaning towards the Prestige 85F and 55C. Another option is the Elite E5 LCR up front. But either way, in the rear I need to do in-wall speakers due to aesthetic considerations, so probably the E80-IW. My AV dealer says mixing the Prestige and Elite series isn’t a great idea, he would just go one or the other. I’m no audiophile and I generally like to break the rules so I’m not sure I agree. For subs I’ve been recommended a pair of the Seismic 110s. What say ye?
He's wrong. Paradigm told me that it was a match and that's what I use at home if you look in my sig and it sounds fantastic.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
Gates is offline  
post #37462 of 37563 Old 09-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I think the mismatch will be minimal and not really noticeable for surrounds (side or rear).

The Defiance subs spec great and include room correction. An X12 or X10 + X15
I'm not a fan of sealed subs.

But Paradigm wouldn't be my first choice for a sub.
HSU and SVS have great subs at better prices, even when you add the cost of a miniDSP for room correction.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37463 of 37563 Old 09-19-2019, 11:34 PM
Senior Member
 
3fingerbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned these speakers need to be installed into architectural columns that flank the screen and the center channel below. There is no such thing as freestanding anything in my house, as my kids will knock it over in a few minutes... So I had the idea to build out the columns and put the Prestige series behind a speaker grill, protecting them from flying footballs and nerf wars. But after talking about this plan with my installer, he thinks that the Prestige series, with its ports in the back, really needs to be out in the open where it can breathe and not in a cabinet with its back against the wall, or else it could result in some weird harmonics. He would suggest plugging the ports in the speaker, but that results in performance similar to the Elite in-wall series. So now we’re leaning towards the Elite E5s. This renders the matching question moot, but I agree that wouldn’t have been a problem.

I agree that Paradigm subwoofers wouldn’t be my first choice either, originally I was thinking the SVS SB3000. But the Seismic 110 has a big advantage in that it is only 12.5 inches in depth. I’m looking for a shallow depth subwoofer that can fit inside these columns, so they don’t have to stick out so far, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I’m still mulling this one over, as I could possibly find a way to make the SVS SB 3000 work. The SVS SB 3000is probably is a better sounding subwoofer than the Paradigm Seismic 110, would you agree? My dealer is really high this on these Seismic 110 subs, he says they sound like 15 inch subs because of their cylindrical shape. I’ve yet to hear them in person... Amd maybe the solution is to find a place for a third subwoofer...
3fingerbrown is offline  
post #37464 of 37563 Old 09-20-2019, 04:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Yes. Profoundly so.

And in every measurable way except your bank account. The Pioneer's owe you nothing, but those Monitor SE 6000F are a true step-up. Of course the Revel Concerta are the best of the 3, but if those hurt the wallet too much then you've got a good alternative there.

I thought as much. What about a showdown between the Paradigm 6000F vs the DALI Zensor5? I am running out of time and I need to buy now!
theHeartless NooB is offline  
post #37465 of 37563 Old 09-20-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,744
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by theHeartless NooB View Post
I thought as much. What about a showdown between the Paradigm 6000F vs the DALI Zensor5? I am running out of time and I need to buy now!
You are the only one who can decide that. Hopefully you can hear both before choosing. They are both very good speakers. I might like that particular Paradigm better movies, the Dali more for music.

If you buy Paradigm, you're spending money with Anthem/Paradigm/Martin-Logan. If you buy Dali (in North America), your spending money with Lenbrook (NAD/Bluesound/PSB.)

None of that matters to the sound, but maybe you like one Canadian company better?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #37466 of 37563 Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingerbrown View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I should have mentioned these speakers need to be installed into architectural columns that flank the screen and the center channel below. There is no such thing as freestanding anything in my house, as my kids will knock it over in a few minutes... So I had the idea to build out the columns and put the Prestige series behind a speaker grill, protecting them from flying footballs and nerf wars. But after talking about this plan with my installer, he thinks that the Prestige series, with its ports in the back, really needs to be out in the open where it can breathe and not in a cabinet with its back against the wall, or else it could result in some weird harmonics. He would suggest plugging the ports in the speaker, but that results in performance similar to the Elite in-wall series. So now we’re leaning towards the Elite E5s. This renders the matching question moot, but I agree that wouldn’t have been a problem.

I agree that Paradigm subwoofers wouldn’t be my first choice either, originally I was thinking the SVS SB3000. But the Seismic 110 has a big advantage in that it is only 12.5 inches in depth. I’m looking for a shallow depth subwoofer that can fit inside these columns, so they don’t have to stick out so far, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I’m still mulling this one over, as I could possibly find a way to make the SVS SB 3000 work. The SVS SB 3000is probably is a better sounding subwoofer than the Paradigm Seismic 110, would you agree? My dealer is really high this on these Seismic 110 subs, he says they sound like 15 inch subs because of their cylindrical shape. I’ve yet to hear them in person... Amd maybe the solution is to find a place for a third subwoofer...
There are in wall subwoofers out there. I don't know if they would fit in your columns and the one brand that I actually have heard are quite pricey.
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review
World Wide Stereo have them in their main home theater demo room. They are impressive but this is in a theater room with roughly $250K spent on equipment. I literally get goosebumps everytime I demo a movie or concert clip in that room.
He doesn't mention the subs in the clip, but he has told me they are JL Audio Fathoms.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
post #37467 of 37563 Old 09-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Member
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi Guys,

I'm running a complete Paradigm 5.2.2 Atmos system. Just wondering if this placement for my surrounds is ok? They are Paradigm Surround 1. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of them.


Cheers



sschen likes this.

Last edited by xpl0sive; 09-21-2019 at 07:37 AM.
xpl0sive is offline  
post #37468 of 37563 Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
gdfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I would think side placement would be better than rear, but perhaps in your location if those are bipoles, you’re getting some side effect reflection from the corner.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gdfein is online now  
post #37469 of 37563 Old 09-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Member
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Yeah they are bipoles, which is why I placed them on the rear as I thought the surround effect would be better given that my seats are fairly close to the back wall (1.7ft)
xpl0sive is offline  
post #37470 of 37563 Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Yeah they are bipoles, which is why I placed them on the rear as I thought the surround effect would be better given that my seats are fairly close to the back wall (1.7ft)
When I had a 5.1 setup with dipoles I had them on the sides but would often hear sounds as if they were behind me as well as on the sides. If you look at Paradigm’s setup for dipoles/bipoles they were designed to surround you. This was before Atmos came into the picture. I think you’ll be fine either way. If not to difficult you could always experiment with placement.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
pappaduke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off