Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1260 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5633Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37771 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
Sorry, this is just ignorant. The Premier grill are lightweight, functional, look nice, and like every Paradigm grill I've done on/off measurements for, it improves the frequency response when left on.

Can you blame a man for coming to what at first seems to be a logical conclusion without access to professional level, highly accurate measurements or measuring equipment? Interesting how blocking holes in the woofer lens would improve sound quality. I only have the Yamaha YPAO mic to work with, so I may or may not be able to see a difference. Yes, the YPAO mic is better than the YPAO room correction. I went with a Yamaha RX-A2070 for the manual PEQ feature, not the room correction software. On sale, it was over $1,000 cheaper than an Atmos capable Anthem receiver. It's not nearly as good, but it made more money available for better speakers.

I'll try messing with the Premier 100B with and without grills a bit later. I'm not sure if any of my measurements will be worth posting. But if I hear little to no difference, or an improvement, I might as well put them on for good.
Scarriere likes this.
Canadianatlas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37772 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
and like every Paradigm grill I've done on/off measurements for, it improves the frequency response when left on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
I'll try messing with the Premier 100B with and without grills a bit later. I'm not sure if any of my measurements will be worth posting. But if I hear little to no difference, or an improvement, I might as well put them on for good.

Although I've never actually measured with grills on or off, I prefer the sound of the Prestige with grills off. They might measure slightly better on, but the grills are not sexy. I'm going for sexy over SQ....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is online now  
post #37773 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Although I've never actually measured with grills on or off, I prefer the sound of the Prestige with grills off. They might measure slightly better on, but the grills are not sexy. I'm going for sexy over SQ....
If your hearing still extends that high, you might be preferring the no-grill sound because of the big dip at 17 kHz with the grill on. My hearing only goes up to ~13.3 kHz so I don't notice any difference that high up. Personally I prefer the reined-in 4-10 kHz range with the grills on - the measurements are similar for the 85F, 55C, and 15B and I prefer all with grills.

Scarriere likes this.
ratbuddy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37774 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDTS View Post
Good idea...I have the proper mic now...I'm going to do this with my Prestiges. Interesting!
What smoothing setting did you use?
Also worth noting that mine fell off significantly in the 9K-10K+ Hz range.
No smoothing, measured on-axis at 1 meter with a CSL UMIK and gating appropriate for the floor distance, I forget the exact setting. IIRC, you can ignore everything under 250 Hz on my grill graphs, which are frequencies the grill won't affect anyway.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #37775 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 04:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 75
All of the measurements were done with a YPAO mic that came with a Yamaha RX-A2070(So don't take this as gospel!), at head height at the main listening position. No subwoofer/EQ/processing of any kind was used. Yes, I know my room is an acoustic mess, but that's what I have to live with. I couldn't notice any change with the 15B. I couldn't really hear much of a difference between the two with the 100B. Even if it's only in my crazy little head, I felt there was something muddying/distorting the midrange on the 100B by a hardly noticeable amount. Personally, I think I'll use them with the grill off just to please that crazy part of my brain. It's not like they sound bad either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prestige 15B.png
Views:	15
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2670066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Premier 100B.png
Views:	14
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2670068  
Canadianatlas is offline  
post #37776 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
If your hearing still extends that high, you might be preferring the no-grill sound because of the big dip at 17 kHz with the grill on. My hearing only goes up to ~13.3 kHz so I don't notice any difference that high up. Personally I prefer the reined-in 4-10 kHz range with the grills on - the measurements are similar for the 85F, 55C, and 15B and I prefer all with grills.

I think my hearing extends that high, but only in the way of tinnitus... I honestly don't know. Getting old, not ancient yet, but definitely not like it used to be....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is online now  
post #37777 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
All of the measurements were done with a YPAO mic that came with a Yamaha RX-A2070(So don't take this as gospel!), at head height at the main listening position. No subwoofer/EQ/processing of any kind was used. Yes, I know my room is an acoustic mess, but that's what I have to live with. I couldn't notice any change with the 15B. I couldn't really hear much of a difference between the two with the 100B. Even if it's only in my crazy little head, I felt there was something muddying/distorting the midrange on the 100B by a hardly noticeable amount. Personally, I think I'll use them with the grill off just to please that crazy part of my brain. It's not like they sound bad either way.
Hard to tell with the 1/6 smoothing and non-gated measurements, but overall it looks like your results match mine: a ~1.5 dB attenuation in the 4-10k range with the grills on.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #37778 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDTS View Post
Good idea...I have the proper mic now...I'm going to do this with my Prestiges. Interesting!
What smoothing setting did you use?
Also worth noting that mine fell off significantly in the 9K-10K+ Hz range.
When you do, please post your findings. As a Prestige owner, I'm quite curious to see the results.
electronjunkie is offline  
post #37779 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
Hard to tell with the 1/6 smoothing and non-gated measurements
I felt it was easier to notice the real differences that way.
Canadianatlas is offline  
post #37780 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
Can you blame a man for coming to what at first seems to be a logical conclusion without access to professional level, highly accurate measurements or measuring equipment?
Yes. I expect a company like Paradigm designed the grills as an integral part of the speaker. Not am afterthought with adverse effects.

And the measurements bear that out.
Scarriere and ratbuddy like this.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37781 of 37813 Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Yes. I expect a company like Paradigm designed the grills as an integral part of the speaker. Not am afterthought with adverse effects.

And the measurements bear that out.
In my defense, a company like Paradigm should also be designing loudspeakers that have a flatter anechoic frequency response.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=77&Itemid=153

As much as I like them, I still have my doubts about the way the Premier 100B was designed. Either way, they are good surround speakers in a real room.
Canadianatlas is offline  
post #37782 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 AM
Member
 
GTDTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
All of the measurements were done with a YPAO mic that came with a Yamaha RX-A2070(So don't take this as gospel!), at head height at the main listening position. No subwoofer/EQ/processing of any kind was used. Yes, I know my room is an acoustic mess, but that's what I have to live with. I couldn't notice any change with the 15B. I couldn't really hear much of a difference between the two with the 100B. Even if it's only in my crazy little head, I felt there was something muddying/distorting the midrange on the 100B by a hardly noticeable amount. Personally, I think I'll use them with the grill off just to please that crazy part of my brain. It's not like they sound bad either way.
Hah! THERE IT IS!!
The Prestige drops right after the 10K Hz range. I saw this across the board with my 85F's. Do not see this dip with the Premier graph.
I wonder if that range can cause listening fatigue. I notice that I do not in no way get listening fatigue from these speakers.

I should probably compare to my Studio 60v5's. I'll do some measurements hopefully in the next few days and post here.
Thanks for posting the graphs

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic
GTDTS is offline  
post #37783 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
brireeves629's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Paradigm Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDTS View Post
First off...that's fantastic!! I had the exact same response to the Klipse as you did. My dad has a set, and the Paradigms just blow them away IMHO. Things are just clearer and when I play them for folks, they tend to be mesmerized. Even with my In Wall, In Ceiling config in my new HT, my "Def Tech" neighbor commented how great my room sounded over the New Year's Party we threw. He asked me what I went with...he has a dedicated HT Room in his basement that is all Def Tech and he could tell a difference. Not bashing them, they are great and excellent for his Cinema Room + Projector...so to each his own.



As far as good sound, Bluetooth is just bad. Bad, bad, bad. I suggest a Spotify or Tidal connection on your Receiver or purchase a streamer for it. If you do a dedicated streamer, please drop a line back here because I know little about them. My Onkyo receiver does Spotify Connect and it's sound is head and shoulders above Bluetooth. I'm speaking as a guy who started with Bluetooth to use all the Apple iTunes that I purchased over the years on my iPhone. Since going to Spotify, I have not purchased one song on iTunes...not one and that's been 3 years now. I compared the "Connect" with Spotify via Bluetooth, and Bluetooth is still just bad.



I think the Tidal interface is terrible. I can use that through Heos on my Marantz and I'm on a trial deal. Careful not to let your receiver slip into an "Air Play" mode as that is bad too. FWIW, I can't tell the difference between Spotify and Tidal...not consistently anyway.

Hope this helps...


I use Tidal as well and I second the huge difference between that and Bluetooth. Main difference is I can receive a call and it won’t cut the music off... I have an Integra (Onkyo) and the interface is very slow when searching music. I have found the best thing to do is create playlists then go to “My Music”. It works much better that way.

Can you explain how Spotify works better? I’ve never tried it.
brireeves629 is offline  
post #37784 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDTS View Post
Hah! THERE IT IS!!
The Prestige drops right after the 10K Hz range. I saw this across the board with my 85F's. Do not see this dip with the Premier graph.
I wonder if that range can cause listening fatigue. I notice that I do not in no way get listening fatigue from these speakers.
I've never thought about it like that before. I never feel tired after countless hours of listening to my 15B's and 45C while playing games.

It looks like every Paradigm bookshelf that's currently for sale new, has a professional, anechoic measurement on Sound Stage network.
Monitor SE Atom
Premier 100B
Prestige 15B
Persona B

To me, it looks like Paradigm is trying to get a more linear response above 10kHz. Minus the very audible distortion, it looks like they're getting close with the Monitor SE Atom.
It should be easy to EQ a gently rising response in the tweeter, and I think many people would actually prefer it.
Canadianatlas is offline  
post #37785 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Personally I'm happy with the current Paradigm house sound. There's usually a slightly rising treble response that can be elevated higher by removing the grills if you so desire. One thing that needs to be pointed out about those measurements you linked: they were performed with the grills off. As we've seen from our own measurements, this means the numbers in the linked graphs are going to be ~2 dB high in the 4 kHz to 10 kHz range for most Paradigm speakers.

People often neglect this detail when complaining about the seemingly elevated treble on these measurements, but really, the speakers are, as mentioned above, designed with the grill as part of the system. If they were measured with the grills on, the results would be much flatter.
Scarriere likes this.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #37786 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by brireeves629 View Post
Can you explain how Spotify works better? I’ve never tried it.
Spotify connect is using the AVR to stream directly. The phone app is just a remote control.

So like Tidal you are getting full bandwidth streaming to the AVR.

Bluetooth has a much lower bit rate, though aptX and the HD version HD improves that.
SBC, AAC and aptX are 250-350 kbps.

aptX HD maxes at 576 kbps and LDAC maxes at 990 kbps (Most android phones max out at 330 kbps but some managen660 kbps mode). But you need devices that support them.

And real would is substantially lower for all BT codecs. I expect most are looking at SBC and only getting 150 kbps.

Meanwhile even 802.11g is 54 mbps.

The best Spotify runs 320 kbps for premium users though default is 96 or 160.

Tidal premium matches the 320 kbps but the HiFi ($20/mo) option will stream FLAC files at 1411 kbps.
Scarriere likes this.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37787 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Member
 
GTDTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by brireeves629 View Post
I use Tidal as well and I second the huge difference between that and Bluetooth. Main difference is I can receive a call and it won’t cut the music off... I have an Integra (Onkyo) and the interface is very slow when searching music. I have found the best thing to do is create playlists then go to “My Music”. It works much better that way.

Can you explain how Spotify works better? I’ve never tried it.
Adding to @ST Dog 's point, I think the main difference is that the AVR is the source...where as your phone/tablet in Bluetooth is the source and streamed to the AVR in a lesser quality state. I'm not familiar with aptX, but have heard using that closes the gap. I do have an Onkyo HF app that streams Bluetooth in a much "better" state and was a bit pricey IIRC, however, I've done some side by side between that and the Spotify Premium and there is a solid difference although the gap is closed from "regular" Bluetooth.

I've sat with my Marantz for hours trying to see if I could qualify if TIDAL or Spotify was better. My HT room uses Marantz (my Onkyo can't do TIDAL), using the HEOS interface, I could not tell. Some songs were ever so slightly better on TIDAL, others were ever so slightly better on Spotify. Tried to keep the recording comparable. Decibel levels equal. To me, I just couldn't tell. I tried on the Flagship Yamaha too, and I couldn't tell.

For me, it comes down to the interface. I think Spotify is much better there. However, there is a huge difference between the free side and the pay side especially in 2 ch Stereo. I've read some info on the AVS Forum about the file types streamed by each. Not all kbps are equal apparently as Spotify uses an Ogg file or something and TIDAL uses something else. I'm on a trial for Deezer now. Its available on my Onkyo, but it doesn't work. They have a Deezer 360, which is trying to spatially arrange the music. Limited song list. I think it makes the vocals seem further away...so not a fan just yet.

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic

Last edited by GTDTS; 01-15-2020 at 12:55 PM.
GTDTS is offline  
post #37788 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I'm familiar with ogg-vorbis (ogg is a container like mkv, vorbis is the codec like mp3.aac, etc) from 15-20 yrs ago. Better than mp3 at lower bit rates but I never compared high bit rates (128k+).

I haven't really tracked streaming codecs. Just not much interest in streaming music.


One possible issue with Bluetooth is reencoding.
Different codecs remove different stuff and reencoding means you lose stuff from both.

It was a big issue with 64/96k mp3 to ogg. Had to use original CD rip WAV files.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37789 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
In my defense, a company like Paradigm should also be designing loudspeakers that have a flatter anechoic frequency response.
Perhaps. But that would defeat the work they've done on pleasing sound vs flat response.

Even then, room response is quite different than anechoic response. The room would destroy the flat response you seem to want.
Scarriere likes this.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37790 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Perhaps. But that would defeat the work they've done on pleasing sound vs flat response.

Even then, room response is quite different than anechoic response. The room would destroy the flat response you seem to want.
See my response above - those anechoic measurements were taken with the grills off and aren't representative of the actual speaker performance when used as designed with the grills on.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #37791 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
CatBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
I'm familiar with ogg-vorbis (ogg is a container like mkv, vorbis is the codec like mp3.aac, etc) from 15-20 yrs ago. Better than mp3 at lower bit rates but I never compared high bit rates (128k+).

I haven't really tracked streaming codecs. Just not much interest in streaming music.


One possible issue with Bluetooth is reencoding.
Different codecs remove different stuff and reencoding means you lose stuff from both.

It was a big issue with 64/96k mp3 to ogg. Had to use original CD rip WAV files.
Not even all ogg vorbis is the same, or MP3's, as different encoders can produce very different results. i.e. an MP3 encoded with a Napster-era MP3 encoder won't sound nearly as good as an MP3 at the same bitrate made today using lame. Also, streamers have historically preferred CBR encoding over VBR encoding, which really cripples quality. Vorbis has no CBR mode, so it can sound better simply due to that.

Generally speaking, for 16bit/44.1k stereo sources, the best vorbis encoders become transparent for most samples in the neighborhood of 160k. For MP3, that's around 192k. Vorbis is at its best compared to other codecs at around 96k. At 64k and below, AAC starts to outshine it, although neither is anything like transparent at that rate. Above 192k, all of the codecs are pretty much converged and transparent. There are always exception samples that continue to show artifacts at high bitrates, but I'm talking about the vast majority. And yeah, lossy-to-lossy re-encodes definitely can do tragic things to audio.
GTDTS likes this.

Last edited by CatBus; 01-15-2020 at 04:40 PM.
CatBus is offline  
post #37792 of 37813 Old 01-15-2020, 10:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Even then, room response is quite different than anechoic response. The room would destroy the flat response you seem to want.
I'm painfully aware of that. If the mic I used is even remotely accurate, my room would take any speaker's frequency response, chew it up, spit it out on the ground, and step on it. But I do believe what I've read from the Harman boys. Just look at the Revel Performa3 M106 and PerformaBe M126Be, and compare them to the Prestige 15B. Forgive me if my eyes are broken, but doesn't the PerformaBe M126Be roll off look quite similar to what Paradigm has going in the 15B ? And what's that? A tiny bump in the response around 1kHz as well? To me, it looks like Revel and Paradigm are trying to make the same cupcake, but Paradigm believes theirs would taste better with chocolate sprinkles. In the end, I really just think a flat frequency response would be easier to EQ. Like you said, it's not like any of these measurements directly and flawlessly translate to what we hear in our rooms.
Scarriere likes this.
Canadianatlas is offline  
post #37793 of 37813 Old 01-16-2020, 08:03 AM
Member
 
GTDTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
I'm painfully aware of that. If the mic I used is even remotely accurate, my room would take any speaker's frequency response, chew it up, spit it out on the ground, and step on it. But I do believe what I've read from the Harman boys. Just look at the Revel Performa3 M106 and PerformaBe M126Be, and compare them to the Prestige 15B. Forgive me if my eyes are broken, but doesn't the PerformaBe M126Be roll off look quite similar to what Paradigm has going in the 15B ? And what's that? A tiny bump in the response around 1kHz as well? To me, it looks like Revel and Paradigm are trying to make the same cupcake, but Paradigm believes theirs would taste better with chocolate sprinkles. In the end, I really just think a flat frequency response would be easier to EQ. Like you said, it's not like any of these measurements directly and flawlessly translate to what we hear in our rooms.
I've noticed the slight climb in the treble around the 1K and just past the 5K Hz as well with my 85F's. I think that is what gives Paradigm its sense of clarity...they are just a touch bright.
Good for them. I like their sound.

For example, I have a set of KEF LS50 Wireless. They have a much different sound. I love them too and for different reasons. But, I have never had a "novice" ask to hear another song on them. On the Paradigms, I've had people not want to leave. 4 hours can go by in like 20 minutes especially with a scotch or two.

While I'm not familiar with Revel, I have A/B'd Focal. My dad went with me in a test of the comparable Focal vs Prestige vs Martin Logan vs B&W. He picked the Paradigms out and he has no dog in this hunt. I'm always wondering if there is a "better" sound out there so I love trying different stuff. I just don't know many people invest in this like I do and have a set up. I can tell you for my money and taste Paradigm is > Def Tech...
Scarriere and Jonas2 like this.

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic
GTDTS is offline  
post #37794 of 37813 Old 01-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question looking for opinions of prestige vs premier

Hello. I have an opportunity to buy a set of Premier 700f's for $1200CND taxes in, but also a set of Prestige 15B's for $1100CND all in. The regular prices are $2000 and $1600 respectively. I'm wondering what the better buy is, based on me only having experience running towers in my living room, it's a large open concept space.

For the rest of my setup, I have a monitor series centre channel (CC390 I think?) to pair with it. Upgrading from monitor 7 v2 towers that have a shot tweeter. I have an 8" soundstage sub (200w) that I just got, not used to having a sub lately, but I added it for fun. Paradigm cinema satellites I use and heights, and no back speakers. I have a denon 1500h receiver.

I have listened to the 700f towers in a controlled room, and I thought they sounded excellent. i have not heard the prestige. I listen to music, but also play lots of TV and movies through this system. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Lipcsey is offline  
post #37795 of 37813 Old 01-17-2020, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
CatBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipcsey View Post
Hello. I have an opportunity to buy a set of Premier 700f's for $1200CND taxes in, but also a set of Prestige 15B's for $1100CND all in. The regular prices are $2000 and $1600 respectively. I'm wondering what the better buy is, based on me only having experience running towers in my living room, it's a large open concept space.

For the rest of my setup, I have a monitor series centre channel (CC390 I think?) to pair with it. Upgrading from monitor 7 v2 towers that have a shot tweeter. I have an 8" soundstage sub (200w) that I just got, not used to having a sub lately, but I added it for fun. Paradigm cinema satellites I use and heights, and no back speakers. I have a denon 1500h receiver.

I have listened to the 700f towers in a controlled room, and I thought they sounded excellent. i have not heard the prestige. I listen to music, but also play lots of TV and movies through this system. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I recently bought some 700F's and wouldn't try to talk you out of them because I also think they sound excellent. Another user here recently chose the 15B's over the 700F's (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59015654) and you can read his impressions too. Admittedly I was never really in the market for bookshelves, and wanted floorstanders from the get-go.
Scarriere likes this.
CatBus is offline  
post #37796 of 37813 Old 01-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipcsey View Post
I have an 8" soundstage sub (200w) that I just got, not used to having a sub lately, but I added it for fun.

I have listened to the 700f towers in a controlled room, and I thought they sounded excellent. i have not heard the prestige.
Normally I would recommend the 15B's, but it looks like you're lacking in the subwoofer department. The 15B's put out a much better soundstage and imaging, and they pair extremely well with a good subwoofer (Even when I try, I can hardly tell where my 15B's end, and where my Rythmik FVX15's start.) But if you can't listen to the 15B, and you can't get a new subwoofer, you might be happier with the 700F.
GTDTS likes this.
Canadianatlas is offline  
post #37797 of 37813 Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 PM
NMG
Member
 
NMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
I don't know much about that size/type of speaker. So I'd go with bookshelves if I had to go small (I use them for surrounds with floor standers for LR). Maybe the Premier 100B or Prestige 15B if in budget. More likely something used to get better (older v2/v3 Studio 20?)

But hey, you might be OK til it time for better speakers. I'd just hate to say you're good and then the 140W* of the 1120 blow your front 3.

A lower end mass market AVR from a big box store would be an option but not one I'd recommend. The MRX is a great AVR and I wish I still ran mine, but couldn't afford to upgrade to a 4k capable MRX.


*really 140W, not the inflated numbers, you get on big box store AVRs. My 80 wpc MRX was louder than the supposed 135 wpc of my current AVR (700W max across the 9 amplified chanels)
Yes the MRX could damage those 50W speakers, but will it? All depends how much you use the volume knob. It's only going to be sending 50W to them if the speaker is demanding it, and it's only going to be demanding it based on how hard you are driving it. I would bet that if you listen at reasonable levels, you won't come close to damaging them.
NMG is offline  
post #37798 of 37813 Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG View Post
Yes the MRX could damage those 50W speakers, but will it? All depends how much you use the volume knob.
As I said, he might be OK.

But if he's near the limit with a quiet source and a much louder source is selected he could damage them.

I personally wouldn't do it and I push the limits on my center/surrounds regularly.
ST Dog is offline  
post #37799 of 37813 Old 01-18-2020, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
brireeves629's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
I've never thought about it like that before. I never feel tired after countless hours of listening to my 15B's and 45C while playing games.



It looks like every Paradigm bookshelf that's currently for sale new, has a professional, anechoic measurement on Sound Stage network.

Monitor SE Atom

Premier 100B

Prestige 15B

Persona B



To me, it looks like Paradigm is trying to get a more linear response above 10kHz. Minus the very audible distortion, it looks like they're getting close with the Monitor SE Atom.

It should be easy to EQ a gently rising response in the tweeter, and I think many people would actually prefer it.


Is it just me or does the Monitor measure more neutral than the Premier? I am trying to learn how to read these measurements. It also looks like the Premiers dip between 1k and 2k. How does this affect vocals? If anyone has heard both of these speakers, could you tell me how they sounded to you? Better, worse etc.
Canadianatlas likes this.
brireeves629 is offline  
post #37800 of 37813 Old 01-18-2020, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Scarriere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've used up lots of likes in the last few pages. There's some great info and opinion by you all.

Yesterday, I finally picked up my 800F's and 600C. I haven't unboxed and set-up yet, they're still sitting in my kitchen.
And I also got the Defiance X15 subwoofer. The box for that is massive and it was a challenge getting it into my place. That is still in the box too.

The next couple of days are gonna be very interesting!
Jonas2 and GTDTS like this.
Scarriere is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off