Paradigm Owners Thread - Page 1270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5975Likes

post #38071 of 38519 Old 03-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bernard View Post
This post makes me happy. Probably because you're telling me what I want to hear 😉 My completely uneducated, based in zero first-hand knowledge, opinion is that the sb2000 will still give us chest thumping, window-rattling bass when called upon to do so (moreso once we can afford two of them). Just not as MUCH as the pc2000. Sound about right?

IMO, I wouldn't treat ported subs like the PC2000 as delivering more necessarily than sealed subs like the SB2000. I think it's a matter of the right sub for the right space. IMO a PC2000 would perform similarly to an SB2000 in a small- or medium-sized room. Only in a large room would the SB2000 be clearly outclassed (and there's no question in my mind that it would be). That said, I seem to have a clear bias for smaller equipment, so grain of salt and all that.

EDIT: On the other hand, it's not really possible to have too much speaker (assuming it's a good speaker). So it's not like you can ever go wrong with a ported sub. You might just want to watch the volume in such a small space
Scarriere and Alan Bernard like this.

Last edited by CatBus; 03-23-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38072 of 38519 Old 03-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo519 View Post
Howdy everyone. I realize this may be a biased audience, but I'm trying to get some good advice for some whole-house in-ceiling speakers for some new construction (will also have a dedicated HT room with 5.1.4 but mainly wanting to peg down the in-ceiling right now). Looking for advice on the following:

1. Great room that's 19' x 19' (open to kitchen and morning room as well) with 5.1 (or 5.2) application. I don't have room to do in wall or floorstanding here, so in-ceiling is it. Thinking of putting the nicest speakers in here as it will be used the most. Also, I recognize I'll need angled speakers as sitting area will be at back of room.

2. Two 4 speaker applications (a game room and master bed). The master will be used more than the game, so thinking nicer speakers in there vs. the game

3. A number of stereo zones used sporadically (like dining room, kitchen, etc.). Thinking moderately priced speakers here. Note, most of these areas will be on the first floor with bedrooms above them, so it'd be helpful to understand if I'll need to build back boxes or consider something with them already on the speaker to avoid sound leaking above.

From a speaker standpoint, hoping for something c. $600 or less for the nicer options and c. $400 or less for the rest (after dealer discounts). Based on some research to date, I think I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

Paradigm
Great room + Master: Elite E80-A
Elsewhere: Pro P80

Monitor Audio
Great room + Master: C280-IDC
Elsewhere: C280

*Note, I like the CP line here as well given built-in back box

Revel
Great room + Master: C763l
Elsewhere: C763

These originally weren't on my list until someone recommended strongly

B&W and Focal also hit my radar, but to avoid complete overthinking this, I put those to rest fairly quickly.

I realize this is a Paradigm forum, which is the route I was originally leaning although I've heard some mixed reviews recently, specificially around someone saying Paradigms don't have as long of life / dome can get brittle fairly quickly (perhaps from some dealers looking to push higher margin / preferred products), so hoping for some candid feedback from folks who have owned the Paradigms (and may have had others compared as well). For reference, I currently have Monitor Audios in my current house and have generally been happy with them but not blown away. As we'll be in this house for for the next 10-15 years + likely, wanting to make a larger investment in something we'll love for a long time.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance!
I have both the Pro and the Elite. Both are very powerful. From my point of view, they both surpassed my expectations. I was impressed enough with the Elites that I decided to go in ceiling with 6 of the Pro Series in my basement HT (10 foot ceilings). This was an unfinished basement to start. That project came in at a much more reasonable price with the help of the Pro Series and Emotiva.

They say that you can push the Elites much harder, and I have, and they held up very well. I've had both lines multiple years and no issues so far. I admit that I have not been kind to the Elites and they have been perfect. I don't know if I can tell the difference between the two without a side by side. A dealer on here awhile back said if you A/B them, then the Elites are clearly the better. OK, I believe him...but my basement really rocks.

I really don't know about the other brands, but I do like Paradigms Signature sound and both lines sound great.

Maybe you narrow it down to two and split it. One room/section with one company. Another grouping with Paradigm. That way you don't get used to the sound. I almost went KEF in my basement, but too much $$. Kind of wish I had just to really enjoy each company's strengths.
Good luck!
Scarriere likes this.

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic
post #38073 of 38519 Old 03-24-2020, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDTS View Post
I have both the Pro and the Elite. Both are very powerful. From my point of view, they both surpassed my expectations. I was impressed enough with the Elites that I decided to go in ceiling with 6 of the Pro Series in my basement HT (10 foot ceilings). This was an unfinished basement to start. That project came in at a much more reasonable price with the help of the Pro Series and Emotiva.

They say that you can push the Elites much harder, and I have, and they held up very well. I've had both lines multiple years and no issues so far. I admit that I have not been kind to the Elites and they have been perfect. I don't know if I can tell the difference between the two without a side by side. A dealer on here awhile back said if you A/B them, then the Elites are clearly the better. OK, I believe him...but my basement really rocks.

I really don't know about the other brands, but I do like Paradigms Signature sound and both lines sound great.

Maybe you narrow it down to two and split it. One room/section with one company. Another grouping with Paradigm. That way you don't get used to the sound. I almost went KEF in my basement, but too much $$. Kind of wish I had just to really enjoy each company's strengths.
Good luck!
Very helpful! Do you have any issues with sound from your basement resonating up to first floor? If concrete, may not be an issue. Trying to understand how important the back box is on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38074 of 38519 Old 03-24-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bernard View Post
This post makes me happy. Probably because you're telling me what I want to hear 😉 My completely uneducated, based in zero first-hand knowledge, opinion is that the sb2000 will still give us chest thumping, window-rattling bass when called upon to do so (moreso once we can afford two of them). Just not as MUCH as the pc2000. Sound about right?

IMO, I wouldn't treat ported subs like the PC2000 as delivering more necessarily than sealed subs like the SB2000. I think it's a matter of the right sub for the right space. IMO a PC2000 would perform similarly to an SB2000 in a small- or medium-sized room. Only in a large room would the SB2000 be clearly outclassed (and there's no question in my mind that it would be). That said, I seem to have a clear bias for smaller equipment, so grain of salt and all that.

EDIT: On the other hand, it's not really possible to have too much speaker (assuming it's a good speaker). So it's not like you can ever go wrong with a ported sub. You might just want to watch the volume in such a small space [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Quick update 🙂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_164110_1585082492995.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2701350  
Scarriere and Jonas2 like this.
post #38075 of 38519 Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo519 View Post
Very helpful! Do you have any issues with sound from your basement resonating up to first floor? If concrete, may not be an issue. Trying to understand how important the back box is on these.
I put wool rock insulation in the ceiling with no boxes. It helped deaden the sound.
I also built a false front wall for decorative, wiring, lighting, and TV. I wool rocked that wall as well.
I did not use boxes and yes you can hear it upstairs if you turn it up. Typically, it hasn't been too much of a problem. My main problem with the room right now is speaker placement, because I made some mistakes, and base response. I probably need another sub...the room is 100% WAF factor so my options are what they are. It looks nice.

My main listening room has no WAF factor and sounds gooooood....

Music Room 5.1.2: L/R Paradigm Prestige 85F, Prestige CC55, CI Elite E80-A (Atmos), CI Elite E65-R, HSU VTF-15H MK2 sub, Onkyo TXNR-838, Emotiva XPA3 Gen2.
Samsung 65" JS9500 and Sony UBP-X800
Room: 13' X 11'6" X 14' Fairly new audioholic
post #38076 of 38519 Old 03-25-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDTS View Post
I put wool rock insulation in the ceiling with no boxes. It helped deaden the sound.
I also built a false front wall for decorative, wiring, lighting, and TV. I wool rocked that wall as well.
I did not use boxes and yes you can hear it upstairs if you turn it up. Typically, it hasn't been too much of a problem. My main problem with the room right now is speaker placement, because I made some mistakes, and base response. I probably need another sub...the room is 100% WAF factor so my options are what they are. It looks nice.

My main listening room has no WAF factor and sounds gooooood....
Ha, definitely having the WAF as well here! Good to know re: noise and will definitely put in the rockwool if going Paradigm route (which based on more and more feedback, I very well may). Still torn with the MA CP line with built in back... I've heard this can deaden some bass a bit though.
post #38077 of 38519 Old 03-25-2020, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi folks. I asked this over in the Revel owners' thread, but wanted to get the perspective from folks who went with Paradigm instead....

I'm currently looking to update my speakers (currently have Paradigm Monitor 9v5s), and had assumed I'd upgrade to the Prestige 75f. Came here to do some research and have been intrigued by Revel, and am considering the f206 as an alternative to the 75f.

Did anyone here consider the same options, and if so, can you offer any qualitative comparison between the two? I don't know of a place nearby to demo these together, so am going to have to rely on the opinions of random people on the internet

Any thoughts of someone who's heard/compared both would be appreciated. Heck, also any thoughts on how the 75f compares to the Monitor 9s.

Thanks!
post #38078 of 38519 Old 03-25-2020, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Update #2 !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200325_174011_1585172630421.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2701718  
Scarriere likes this.
post #38079 of 38519 Old 03-25-2020, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminj View Post
Hi folks. I asked this over in the Revel owners' thread, but wanted to get the perspective from folks who went with Paradigm instead....

I'm currently looking to update my speakers (currently have Paradigm Monitor 9v5s), and had assumed I'd upgrade to the Prestige 75f. Came here to do some research and have been intrigued by Revel, and am considering the f206 as an alternative to the 75f.

Did anyone here consider the same options, and if so, can you offer any qualitative comparison between the two? I don't know of a place nearby to demo these together, so am going to have to rely on the opinions of random people on the internet
Well, this won't be overly helpful - But I had wanted to demo the F206 and F208. Nobody sells locally to me except one A/V integrator had a pair not too far from me, but the effort to coordinate a demo never materialized. Revel is obviously well-known for it's neutrality, and heavily science-based engineering and testing. Highly regarded.

I definitely prefer the Prestige aesthetic as compared to the Revel, personal preference of course, but also that the Prestige is made in Canada, vs. the Chinese-made Revel (or so I was told these Revels are made in China....). The Prestige price-point for NOT made in China if you ask me is fairly impressive, if these things matter to you. Extremely happy with Prestige performance. Would I prefer Revel if I had had the chance to demo? Dunno......

I did however do a crude comparison of the Revel C763 and the DefTec DI8R for in-ceiling duty - and I chose the DI8R. The Revel was very good, but just seemed a bit lacking in its overall presentation compared to the DefTec. The DefTec blends nicely with the Prestige (they both did actually). Not the comparison your after, but maybe better than zero?
Scarriere likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #38080 of 38519 Old 03-26-2020, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Any thoughts of someone who's heard/compared both would be appreciated. Heck, also any thoughts on how the 75f compares to the Monitor 9s.

Thanks!
Can't say I've heard either one, but reviews (be them from magazines or owners) are heavily biased for a number of reasons. Purely going by science the Revels seem to be consistently excellent performers. While this isn't testing the f206, it should give you an idea of what Revel has to offer at your higher price point.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12053/

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #38081 of 38519 Old 03-27-2020, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I'll leave my reply in this thread, because I have a better understanding of the Paradigm Prestige series than the Performa3 series. I haven't heard enough of the 75F and F206 in person to judge, but I have heard the 15B (I own a pair) and the M105 when I was looking for speakers in the middle of 2018. Seeing as how speakers within a series retain a certain type of sound, I would say my opinion could be helpful. This was a while ago, so my memory might be fuzzy. If anyone is certain I'm wrong, please forgive me. I do use manual PEQ settings in my room, so on-axis frequency response charts don't matter too much to me.

Both the Prestige and Performa3 series have very low distortion, but the Paradigm speakers had a slightly larger presence to my ear. They sounded bigger. This might not matter so much for tower speakers, because the better bass can trick your mind. Without manual PEQ, I don't actually like the Paradigm speakers as much as the Revel's, but they still do put out a bigger sound to my ear. Because I liked both of them so much, my decision came down to 3 things:

- Where were they built, and what do they cost?
- What kinds of center channel options were there?
- What do they look like?

Paradigm makes the Prestige series in Canada, and revel makes the Performa 3 speakers in China. The labor costs more, and at $800 vs $750 MSRP for the bookshelves, and I don't feel Revel is passing on significant savings to the customer there. However, you are looking at the F206 and comparing it to the 75F. The difference between these two is much larger at $1,750 vs $1,500. Paradigm's real direct competitor to the F206, is the 85F, and that comes in at $2,000. For a pair, that's another $500 on top of the F206. The smaller drivers in the 75F wouldn't matter much if you have a subwoofer or two, so you could save money there.

I wanted a 3-way center channel, and the 3-way option from Revel is the C208 at $2K, and the 3-way option from paradigm starts at $1,300 for the 45C, and goes up to $1,700 for the 55C. Because they aren't as tall as the option from revel, Paradigm has the better center channel form factor for real world rooms that have a TV above the speaker.

And looks are mostly up to the individual. Personally, I still think the Prestige speakers look better than any other speakers. You might think differently.

Now, the way I see it (3-way center channels are a must, and even Revel's scientific papers seem to agree.), is that you can get a pair of 75F's and a 55C for $4,700, or a pair of F206's and a C208 for $5,500. Personally, unless you regularly listen at reference volume levels or above (Which the vast majority of people don't.), I don't see the point in going for the 85F over the 75F if you have a subwoofer. Same sound, more bass. Where those larger drivers matter most, would be more than made up for with a subwoofer.

If I found myself in this exact position, I would be very tempted to get the Revel setup, but would still go with Paradigm 75F and 55C because of where they are made, what they look like, and how much I would save. HOWEVER, if I did not have the option to manually use a PEQ to change the sound to my taste, I would likely go with the Revel speakers.

Tl;dr: If I have access to manual PEQ, Paradigm. If I don't have access to manual PEQ, Revel. But that's just me.
post #38082 of 38519 Old 03-27-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianatlas View Post
I'll leave my reply in this thread, because I have a better understanding of the Paradigm Prestige series than the Performa3 series. I haven't heard enough of the 75F and F206 in person to judge, but I have heard the 15B (I own a pair) and the M105 when I was looking for speakers in the middle of 2018. Seeing as how speakers within a series retain a certain type of sound, I would say my opinion could be helpful. This was a while ago, so my memory might be fuzzy. If anyone is certain I'm wrong, please forgive me. I do use manual PEQ settings in my room, so on-axis frequency response charts don't matter too much to me.

Both the Prestige and Performa3 series have very low distortion, but the Paradigm speakers had a slightly larger presence to my ear. They sounded bigger. This might not matter so much for tower speakers, because the better bass can trick your mind. Without manual PEQ, I don't actually like the Paradigm speakers as much as the Revel's, but they still do put out a bigger sound to my ear. Because I liked both of them so much, my decision came down to 3 things:

- Where were they built, and what do they cost?
- What kinds of center channel options were there?
- What do they look like?

Paradigm makes the Prestige series in Canada, and revel makes the Performa 3 speakers in China. The labor costs more, and at $800 vs $750 MSRP for the bookshelves, and I don't feel Revel is passing on significant savings to the customer there. However, you are looking at the F206 and comparing it to the 75F. The difference between these two is much larger at $1,750 vs $1,500. Paradigm's real direct competitor to the F206, is the 85F, and that comes in at $2,000. For a pair, that's another $500 on top of the F206. The smaller drivers in the 75F wouldn't matter much if you have a subwoofer or two, so you could save money there.

I wanted a 3-way center channel, and the 3-way option from Revel is the C208 at $2K, and the 3-way option from paradigm starts at $1,300 for the 45C, and goes up to $1,700 for the 55C. Because they aren't as tall as the option from revel, Paradigm has the better center channel form factor for real world rooms that have a TV above the speaker.

And looks are mostly up to the individual. Personally, I still think the Prestige speakers look better than any other speakers. You might think differently.

Now, the way I see it (3-way center channels are a must, and even Revel's scientific papers seem to agree.), is that you can get a pair of 75F's and a 55C for $4,700, or a pair of F206's and a C208 for $5,500. Personally, unless you regularly listen at reference volume levels or above (Which the vast majority of people don't.), I don't see the point in going for the 85F over the 75F if you have a subwoofer. Same sound, more bass. Where those larger drivers matter most, would be more than made up for with a subwoofer.

If I found myself in this exact position, I would be very tempted to get the Revel setup, but would still go with Paradigm 75F and 55C because of where they are made, what they look like, and how much I would save. HOWEVER, if I did not have the option to manually use a PEQ to change the sound to my taste, I would likely go with the Revel speakers.

Tl;dr: If I have access to manual PEQ, Paradigm. If I don't have access to manual PEQ, Revel. But that's just me.
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Y'all hit on all the of aspects that are factoring into my decision (aside from sound, which unfortunately I can't get direct data on at this point):

* Made in Canada vs made in China
* Center channel options
* Look/finish options

Revel's center channel options really throw me for a loop. The 12" tall 3-way center is unfortunate -- Paradigm definitely has the better options there.
post #38083 of 38519 Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Thanks!
The performa 3 are very neutral speakers and a couple dealers near me that sell revel do complain at the small volume of sales, makes sense that a neutral speaker might sound dull in comparison to a speaker with tipped up bass or treble. I owned a pair of performa 2's the salon1 and salon 2 and the latest models with base or front ports don't sound like they have the bass of the previous gen, quality over quantity? idk. I can say the tweeters are improved in the newer models and while the treble sounds recessed in the new speakers along side the performa 2 they are coherent and disappear in the music. I know you can never have too much power for revels. don't currently own any revels and just a massive sub from paradigm. Consider your room, lots of hardwood and glass, revel, carpet and open area paradigm.

Meridian dsp8000se upgrade, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's, Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,
post #38084 of 38519 Old 03-27-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
I know you can never have too much power for revels. don't currently own any revels and just a massive sub from paradigm. Consider your room, lots of hardwood and glass, revel, carpet and open area paradigm.

Unfortunately we rent, so don't have 100% control of the flooring. At the moment, the room has hardwoods but a big 8x10 area rug with pad in an open area.

For power and bass, I'll be getting an Outlaw5000 to drive them (120wpc) as a bump up from my AVR, and have an SB3000 on the way and hopefully I can run my existing SB12-plus with it.
post #38085 of 38519 Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Revel's center channel options really throw me for a loop. The 12" tall 3-way center is unfortunate -- Paradigm definitely has the better options there.

And the 55C is an impressive center. Excellent with dialogue, an all-around solid performer.
3DRODRAY and sigpig like this.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #38086 of 38519 Old 03-27-2020, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Thanks!
I went from monitor 9 v5/ cc290/ adp390 / monitor atom setup to prestige 85f/55c/25s
I couldn't be happier. Things just feel so alive now, the soundstage wows anyone who comes over for a demo. I was a bit hesitant using 25s bipoles as surround instead of monopoles like everyone is using these days but I'm really happy with them. All 7 seats in my theatre are in that sweet spot imaging bubble, where before only the one money seat in the middle had that experience.

I went with them after hearing a friend's 75f/45c setup, I only went bigger because my space was bigger than his. If using capable subs the 75f is more than sufficient.

I moved my old monitor series to a family room setup, and it still sounds pretty good but the prestige is just another level.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Scarriere, 3DRODRAY and Jonas2 like this.
post #38087 of 38519 Old 03-30-2020, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoblues View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
I went from monitor 9 v5/ cc290/ adp390 / monitor atom setup to prestige 85f/55c/25s
I couldn't be happier. Things just feel so alive now, the soundstage wows anyone who comes over for a demo. I was a bit hesitant using 25s bipoles as surround instead of monopoles like everyone is using these days but I'm really happy with them. All 7 seats in my theatre are in that sweet spot imaging bubble, where before only the one money seat in the middle had that experience.

I went with them after hearing a friend's 75f/45c setup, I only went bigger because my space was bigger than his. If using capable subs the 75f is more than sufficient.

I moved my old monitor series to a family room setup, and it still sounds pretty good but the prestige is just another level.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

I'm using a pair of 25s' for my surrounds and couldn't be more happy. I don't have an overly large room and at the time I decide to go with 25s' for surround duty. They have worked very well for me.
post #38088 of 38519 Old 03-30-2020, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
My budget and room layout determined that the 25Ss wasn't for me.
My couch is against the wall, so 15Bs were my choice. Now I get discrete sound from all 9.1 channels, plus the phantom images between every speaker pair for Atmos.
Even better, the sound is exactly the same from all 5.0 speakers.
Alan Bernard and Jonas2 like this.
post #38089 of 38519 Old 04-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

Did anyone here consider the same options, and if so, can you offer any qualitative comparison between the two? I don't know of a place nearby to demo these together, so am going to have to rely on the opinions of random people on the internet [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Thanks!
HI! I updated my old paradigm monitor 7v7 5.1 to prestige 5.1 last year(85f+15b+x15 subwoofer) and the main change is an incredible gain of transparency :music is livier, clearer, with incredible gain of details. Bass is more present too.
On the dark side, I lost a bit in wide staging, but it's a small price to pay to have this sound quality.
Prestige Sound profile is nearly the Same as monitor:bass and highs are highlighted.
If you use a small room, 75f are sufficient, unless you want deeper bass under 60hz for electronic music or big hc. If so, take a small paradigm defiance one(v10, 12).i bought 85f and x15 because used and really discounted.
The most important in a small room is the room correction! That's why I bought preamp/dac/Paradigm pw link with Arc system and Tidal/Spotify compatibility. This small box will save your life and everything is automatic, no obscure settings to manage. Seriously, for 200 dollars max, it's day and night for bass!
One big down is it's not gapless, with a delay of 5s beetween tracks. Yeah, seems hard but unless you listen to a lot of progressive rock, it's ok.
Most of Paradigm Defiance subwoofer have Arc room correction too! Svs subs are cheaper, go deeper but no Brainerd room correction is the key for bass.
Prestige lign is also beautiful, specially in midnight cherry.
So yeah, update is worth the price!
GTDTS likes this.
post #38090 of 38519 Old 04-02-2020, 11:23 AM

And yeah for home cinema in a small room, s25 are better for surround than 15b(read it on a dedicated article from a famous French home cinema installer
I don't have the bubble effect cherished by home cinema lovers with the 15b and my Denon 4500.
post #38091 of 38519 Old 04-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
I'm debating on adding a 3 Channel amplifier to my Marantz Sr7012 for my Paradigm LCR. I've been looking closely at the Emotiva or Outlaw amps. I'm not in a hurry to do this but sometime in the near future.
Why do you feel you need an amp to drive your Paradigm's? Paradigm speakers are super efficient. The reason I ask is because I bought an Emotiva XPR-5 and connected it to my Marantz 6010 AVR using pre-outs to drive my Paradigm Studio 60 mains, Studio 20 Rears, Studio CC470 Center and an SVS PB 2000 sub and honestly couldn't tell the difference. I also don't play music or anything really loud.

My Emotiva is now in my music room linked to an old Yamaha RX-V995 AVR and running two Energy Connoisseur CT-70 Speakers along with a turntable, CD/DVR player and Cassette player. I always wanted a power amp but now that I have one I'm not using it in my main HT System. I love vintage speakers and so am on the hunt for some older NHT speakers that I will use in my music room. That might be a better use at least for my Emotiva.
post #38092 of 38519 Old 04-02-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longballsd View Post
Why do you feel you need an amp to drive your Paradigm's? Paradigm speakers are super efficient. The reason I ask is because I bought an Emotiva XPR-5 and connected it to my Marantz 6010 AVR using pre-outs to drive my Paradigm Studio 60 mains, Studio 20 Rears, Studio CC470 Center and an SVS PB 2000 sub and honestly couldn't tell the difference. I also don't play music or anything really loud.

My Emotiva is now in my music room linked to an old Yamaha RX-V995 AVR and running two Energy Connoisseur CT-70 Speakers along with a turntable, CD/DVR player and Cassette player. I always wanted a power amp but now that I have one I'm not using it in my main HT System. I love vintage speakers and so am on the hunt for some older NHT speakers that I will use in my music room. That might be a better use at least for my Emotiva.
Thanks for sharing your own experience with adding an external amp and not finding it adding any noticeable improvement to your sound.
I have turned up my SR7012 past reference level and my Paradigms put out flawlessly. There was no distortion at all and way too loud.
I was hemming and hawing about adding an external amp and for the time being anyways I will take a pass on spending funds on something I don't really need.
I will be adding a second set of 15b's for heights with the funds instead.
post #38093 of 38519 Old 04-02-2020, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
Thanks for sharing your own experience with adding an external amp and not finding it adding any noticeable improvement to your sound.
I have turned up my SR7012 past reference level and my Paradigms put out flawlessly. There was no distortion at all and way too loud.
I was hemming and hawing about adding an external amp and for the time being anyways I will take a pass on spending funds on something I don't really need.
I will be adding a second set of 15b's for heights with the funds instead.
My same experience with my Paradigms. I can turn them up all the way with my Marantz 6010 and they just get louder. No distortion at all. Way too loud for what I would ever listen too. I think a good power amp is needed for more vintage, less efficient speakers but not for Paradigm speakers. I think your money is better spent elsewhere. Great idea.
electronjunkie likes this.
post #38094 of 38519 Old 04-03-2020, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I have a Marantz SR5011 powering Prestige 15B's fronts, 45c center and Atoms, last version, surrounds with no problems at all. As has been said I can push them far louder without distortion...I don't try to distort...which is far louder than I prefer.
Same when I was running Monitor 11's for fronts.
Longballsd and electronjunkie like this.

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5014, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: Panasonic DP-UB820P-K Disk Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S & Roku Streaming Stick +, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #38095 of 38519 Old 04-06-2020, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Prestige 75f's. Should be here hopefully next week. Perhaps crazy to buy something like this during a pandemic, but I'm at home a lot and could be enjoying some music and movies. The final choice came down to the 75f and the Focal Aria 926. I'm sure I would have been happy with either, and I was thinking of buying both and then selling, but I can't go too crazy at a time like this.

I had a pair of B&W 683 s2's but sold them a few weeks ago. After having them for just over a year, I just never really liked them. I bought a pair of B&W CDM 1NT's way back in the early 2000's and they sounded better then the 683. So the CDM's are back in the main room until the new Prestige's arrive.

I read though a lot of the forum in 2 days and many have had this series since 2018.

How do you feel about the Prestige line now that you've had them for awhile?
3DRODRAY, Jonas2 and GTDTS like this.
post #38096 of 38519 Old 04-06-2020, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by seg71 View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Prestige 75f's.
Congrats! Welcome to the club!
Quote:
I am in heaven...
spyboy and Jonas2 like this.
post #38097 of 38519 Old 04-06-2020, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Prestige 75f's. Should be here hopefully next week. Perhaps crazy to buy something like this during a pandemic, but I'm at home a lot and could be enjoying some music and movies. The final choice came down to the 75f and the Focal Aria 926. I'm sure I would have been happy with either, and I was thinking of buying both and then selling, but I can't go too crazy at a time like this.

Excellent! Look forward to hearing your impressions once you've had a chance to set them up and do some listening!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #38098 of 38519 Old 04-06-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:

I had a pair of B&W 683 s2's but sold them a few weeks ago. After having them for just over a year, I just never really liked them. I bought a pair of B&W CDM 1NT's way back in the early 2000's and they sounded better then the 683. So the CDM's are back in the main room until the new Prestige's arrive.

I read though a lot of the forum in 2 days and many have had this series since 2018.

I'm curious to know why you didn't like your b&w 683 s2. I watched its measurements(on the right) and it's pretty much the same frequency /db curve as Prestige line(on the left, the 95's). 75 's emphasized more highs than mediums.
Of course, measurements are not all, your own audition is the most important.
75,as my 85,are coloured loudspeakers, emphasizing punchy bass and crystal highs.
If you like dynamic sound and listen to lot of movies and pop music(rock, electronic,funk) and instrumental jazz you will like it. For voices or classic, it's. not the best(revel are more suited)
The key of Prestige line is it's made to play loud without a hint of distortion and make you tapping!
I love my 85's,i just regret the slightly wider soundstage of my older monitor 7v7.
Make sure you have a subwoofer with your 75's,it's their relatively weak point.
Don't forget to Give us a review!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1215P95Ffig04_1586223150462.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2706754   Click image for larger version

Name:	915B683fig4_1586223161224.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2706756  
post #38099 of 38519 Old 04-07-2020, 05:04 AM

85F vs E5-LCR

I set up a separate thread but realized this may be a better place to ask this...

Just wondering if anyone has a strong opinion of going Paradigm Prestige 85F + 55C vs. 3x CI Elite E5-LCR. This will be used as the front soundstage in a 5.2.4 system and paired with 2x E80-IW + 4x E65-R. Appreciate any suggestions, advice, opinions, criticisms, etc. Interesting enough, the E5s are more expensive than the Prestige but are true 3-way speakers. Looks like most of the components are similar / the same. Also, bass seems to be extend lower on the Prestige, which may be mitigated going with 2x subs but worth noting.

Just curious if it's more of an aesthetic decision or if I'd be sacrificing SQ going the in-wall route. Thanks!
post #38100 of 38519 Old 04-07-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Congratulations on your new 75's!
All I can say about mine is, I love them. I have enjoyed them from day 1 and I'm sure I will be enjoying them for many years to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page