New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 386 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 245Likes

post #11551 of 11840 Old 10-12-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreWuLF_ View Post
I wasn't able to find this information on their new website. Do you know if it's still there?
Although I checked for the Classic series and the Absolute Zero is no longer there.

And it is odd that they are just replacing the Absolute Zero and not the 2's and 3's.
The Absolute Zero is still on the website, though not if you look at the absolute series, but it is there if you look t either satellite or bookshelf speakers, although apparently only available in white.

The website still has quite a few bugs, apparently, such as going to all speakers only give you a couple of options. Interestingly, one of them is the M7 (http://www.nhthifi.com/products/1644...shelf-speakers) a center channel priced at $899 and "limited to a run of 250). Kind of strange.

Also, I no longer see the info I posted above about the AZ replacement listed on the website. It would certainly be nice to get a it of clarification from a brand rep or a dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11552 of 11840 Old 10-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
I have not seen any info on the new series. We don't really have a dealer here now. When we did, he always gave us the updated info. I'm sure we'll know soon enough. I'm hoping for something that will out do the Fours, if not there won't be any upgrading for me at the moment.
That would be awesome if NHT can do it...it would be pretty hard for them to keep the price about the same as 4's though.
post #11553 of 11840 Old 10-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyKerabatsos View Post
The Absolute Zero is still on the website, though not if you look at the absolute series, but it is there if you look t either satellite or bookshelf speakers, although apparently only available in white.

The website still has quite a few bugs, apparently, such as going to all speakers only give you a couple of options. Interestingly, one of them is the M7 (http://www.nhthifi.com/products/1644...shelf-speakers) a center channel priced at $899 and "limited to a run of 250). Kind of strange.

Also, I no longer see the info I posted above about the AZ replacement listed on the website. It would certainly be nice to get a it of clarification from a brand rep or a dealer.
Ahhh you're right. The Absolute Zero is still there. I forgot they were under the Absolute series and not the Classic series.

Wait...what? NHT is bringing back the Evolution series?? They were amazing! I know they discontinued the Evo M5 & M6. If they do bring back the Evo series..I wonder if the M7 will have the same sound characteristics as the discontinued Evo or the current Classic series.

We need an NHT Rep/Dealer on here pronto!
I have a feeling they're keep all the secrets from us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11554 of 11840 Old 10-12-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Ahhh you're right. The Absolute Zero is still there. I forgot they were under the Absolute series and not the Classic series.

Wait...what? NHT is bringing back the Evolution series?? They were amazing! I know they discontinued the Evo M5 & M6. If they do bring back the Evo series..I wonder if the M7 will have the same sound characteristics as the discontinued Evo or the current Classic series.

They posted an update on their Facebook page last Thursday. New models should be announced in the next few days.
Transmaniacon and SabreWuLF_ like this.
post #11555 of 11840 Old 10-12-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Underhung-coil midbasses? Looks very interesting.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #11556 of 11840 Old 10-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Looks the M7 is just a limited run from their custom shop, so not one of the new series that will be coming out.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11557 of 11840 Old 10-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got a question about placement of the Absolute Towers. The manual recommends that you place them at basically 2/3 apart compared to your sitting distance. However, most professional reviews say they place them at an equilateral triangle? Similar question on speaker tilt. The manual says to only do a "slight" toe in (wonder what slight is?) but most people seem to put them directly on axis?

I'm curious how others have theirs set up and what they have found works well? For what it's worth I'm currently set up at the recommended speaker distance and a very minor 1" toe in.
post #11558 of 11840 Old 10-15-2015, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post
Got a question about placement of the Absolute Towers. The manual recommends that you place them at basically 2/3 apart compared to your sitting distance. However, most professional reviews say they place them at an equilateral triangle? Similar question on speaker tilt. The manual says to only do a "slight" toe in (wonder what slight is?) but most people seem to put them directly on axis?

I'm curious how others have theirs set up and what they have found works well? For what it's worth I'm currently set up at the recommended speaker distance and a very minor 1" toe in.
Experiment and see what sounds best to you. Anywhere from 0 to complete toe in, equilateral triangle to the 2/3 you've mentioned. Try it all.

I find toe in makes the sound stage more precise, really locks vocals in the center. Less toe in creates a broader sound stage with more diffuse vocals. Neither is right or wrong, find what you like and what works in your room.
post #11559 of 11840 Old 10-16-2015, 03:15 PM

If you guys check out NHT's Facebook page, they have pics posted from CEDIA of their new C Series and Media Series. The C-Series retains a similar look as the old Absolute Series, but gains a metallic dome mid-range -- kind of a blend of the Absolute Series looks + Classic Series drivers.

There's also a new Media series which has Atmos modules and wall-mounted surrounds (similar to the old Absolute Wall model).
post #11560 of 11840 Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Original super zero = best cinder block stand compatible speaker ever!
post #11561 of 11840 Old 10-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
If you guys check out NHT's Facebook page, they have pics posted from CEDIA of their new C Series and Media Series. The C-Series retains a similar look as the old Absolute Series, but gains a metallic dome mid-range -- kind of a blend of the Absolute Series looks + Classic Series drivers.

There's also a new Media series which has Atmos modules and wall-mounted surrounds (similar to the old Absolute Wall model).
Interesting. Looks like the same as the Classics (drivers) but the boxes are just changed up. The C series looks as if they just mounted the tweeters and midranges on a metal plate first. They also have the Atmos up-firing module on the Media series. It'll be nice to actually see their website updated so we can get more info on them. Looks can be deceiving - different drivers and XO's can really change the sound of a speaker.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11562 of 11840 Old 10-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Pics, forgot to add them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NHT Media Series.png
Views:	247
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	1003201   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHT C Series.png
Views:	275
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1003209  

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11563 of 11840 Old 10-18-2015, 06:41 PM

Anyone have any idea (or better yet, concrete info) on how the model switch over might affect whether or to what extent NHT does their normal Black November sale?
post #11564 of 11840 Old 10-19-2015, 06:00 AM

To follow up on my post above, I plan to purchase a pair of Absolute Walls for surround duty.

For those with experience (with AZs or AWs as surround speakers), what placement seemed to work best? The manual (http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1405452785) suggests placement at an equilateral triangle from the listener, at least 5' apart, and doesn't say much regarding height (other than as high or higher than the front speakers, which for my ATs is roughly at MLP ear level anyway). This is pretty radically different from the the traditional placement of 90 to 110 degrees off center 2-3 feet above MLP ear height.

My current surrounds are Def Tech PM800s, set up just over 90 degrees off axis and about 2 feet above the MLP, but angled down towards the MLP. I'm wiring new construction for the surround placement, so I need to get it right without the benefit of experimenting in the space. The room is 15'10" feet wide, so traditional (non-NHT recommended) placement would be in the sidewalls, roughly 8' from the MLP. There will be over 6' of room behind the MLP/couch, and NHT would seem to recommend placement on the back wall. I was also concerned about the AWs not being angled/articulating, so was curious if they should be placed lower, closer to ear height at the the MLP.

Last edited by DonnyKerabatsos; 10-20-2015 at 08:26 AM.
post #11565 of 11840 Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm selling my Special Dark Fours, Threes and ThreeC in the classified section. New(ish) house doesn't have room for that much speaker.

On that note, how do the Absolute Walls sound? I'd be using them as on-wall mains, and I'm considering getting a sub with them.
post #11566 of 11840 Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
To follow up on my post above, I plan to purchase a pair of Absolute Walls for surround duty.

For those with experience (with AZs or AWs as surround speakers), what placement seemed to work best? The manual (http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1405452785) suggests placement at an equilateral triangle from the listener, at least 5' apart, and doesn't say much regarding height (other than as high or higher than the front speakers, which for my ATs is roughly at MLP ear level anyway). This is pretty radically different from the the traditional placement of 90 to 110 degrees off center 2-3 feet above MLP ear height.

My current surrounds are Def Tech PM800s, set up just over 90 degrees off axis and about 2 feet above the MLP, but angled down towards the MLP. I'm wiring new construction for the surround placement, so I need to get it right without the benefit of experimenting in the space. The room is 15'10" feet wide, so traditional (non-NHT recommended) placement would be in the sidewalls, roughly 8' from the MLP. There will be over 6' of room behind the MLP/couch, and NHT would seem to recommend placement on the back wall. I was also concerned about the AWs not being angled/articulating, so was curious if they should be placed lower, closer to ear height at the the MLP.
The AZ's and AW's both have their benefits and down falls. They sound basically te same, as they should. The main difference is mounting as you noted.

AW's can be mounted fluh to the wall and has a very shallow profile if that is what you want.

The AZ's stick out MUCH more, but you have control of the pitch and tilt.

As for mounting height, I prefer all my main speakers (Fronts, Center-if possible, and Surrouds) to be on the same horizontal plane. If adding rears, they go up higher by a couple feet. If you're going with Atmos in the future, surrounds are suggested to be mounted at ear height. I've just always done it that way since it works best for multi-channel music and for movies. But, you can always mount it higher and angle it down.

As for the angles, stick with the Dolby recommended ones, they work well and should fit in your room nicely.
DonnyKerabatsos likes this.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11567 of 11840 Old 10-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loscoaster View Post
I'm selling my Special Dark Fours, Threes and ThreeC in the classified section. New(ish) house doesn't have room for that much speaker.

On that note, how do the Absolute Walls sound? I'd be using them as on-wall mains, and I'm considering getting a sub with them.
They sound fine if you are using a sub. You may want to wait a bit if you can to see what they have coming out. I'll be nice if they have a replacement for the L5's which would work much better for mains.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11568 of 11840 Old 10-24-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The AZ's and AW's both have their benefits and down falls. They sound basically te same, as they should. The main difference is mounting as you noted.

AW's can be mounted fluh to the wall and has a very shallow profile if that is what you want.

The AZ's stick out MUCH more, but you have control of the pitch and tilt.

As for mounting height, I prefer all my main speakers (Fronts, Center-if possible, and Surrouds) to be on the same horizontal plane. If adding rears, they go up higher by a couple feet. If you're going with Atmos in the future, surrounds are suggested to be mounted at ear height. I've just always done it that way since it works best for multi-channel music and for movies. But, you can always mount it higher and angle it down.

As for the angles, stick with the Dolby recommended ones, they work well and should fit in your room nicely.
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm getting the AWs to replace the DefTech PM800s that I have on articulating mounts, rather than moving the Def Techs. (they stick out about 11 inches) for the new room, because of aesthetics and doors opening.

Do you think that having peaked wire run in at 5 feet off the floor for mounting the AWs is too high? MLP ear height is about 3(', so just a bit more than a foot above. I figure that being higher up will keep any little ones from trying to get their hands on the speakers as well.
post #11569 of 11840 Old 10-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm getting the AWs to replace the DefTech PM800s that I have on articulating mounts, rather than moving the Def Techs. (they stick out about 11 inches) for the new room, because of aesthetics and doors opening.

Do you think that having peaked wire run in at 5 feet off the floor for mounting the AWs is too high? MLP ear height is about 3(', so just a bit more than a foot above. I figure that being higher up will keep any little ones from trying to get their hands on the speakers as well.
You should have no problems with them mounted at that height. Just run your room correction in your AVR to correct for the freq response at you MLP and you're good to go. Doesn't DefTech make some flush mount on-walls to match your system? Not shying you away from NHT, great speakers for the price. Just seems like it would be better to keep within the same Timbre of your current speakers, although room correction negates a lot of that.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11570 of 11840 Old 10-25-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the input.

I have a twoC and a pair of absolute towers up front, so this will improve the timbre matching, though I'm not a huge believer that it matters terribly for surrounds once you've run room correction.

Last edited by DonnyKerabatsos; 10-25-2015 at 04:08 PM.
post #11571 of 11840 Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I have a twoC and a pair of absolute towers up front, so this will improve the timbre matching, though I'm not a huge believer that it matters terribly for surrounds once you've run room correction.
Ah, got it. Must have missed your post earlier on what you had, sorry...

Then the AW's will fit perfectly with your system. They can be tilted slightly downwards by having the mounting screw stick out a little more, but that's about all the adjustment you can do. I really don't think it will matter much though once set up. They are very low profile and clean looking.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11572 of 11840 Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I agree I would like to know more about the M7. I plan on calling tomorrow to see if I can get some information on them.
Allen
post #11573 of 11840 Old 11-02-2015, 07:44 AM

FYI, they updated their website with the new Media Series and C-Series.

http://www.nhthifi.com/products?cate...oducts-by-line
post #11574 of 11840 Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Yeah, just saw that. I'm curious why the replacement for the Threes (the C3 Bookshelf) kept the same all metal drivers but the C4 Tower did not (has polypropylene for the lower midrange and woofers) . The C3 basically looks like the same as the Classic 3, just a new box. The C4 is supposed to play louder than the Classic 4, but has the same exact specs, including the sensitivity of 86db. I'd like to hear them in person once they come out. I do like that the new C4 is fully sealed though and doesn't have a 'subwoofer' like the Classic 4, so should require less power since bass takes a lot more power to dive. May be all a moot point though since most of us XO to a sub anyway (which they are counting on). The metal plates used for mounting the domes kinda remind me of the past, when all those type of drivers were mounted using some type of metal plate. Kinda like a new design with a retro feel.

In any case, I'm interested in taking a listen. Not sure if I'll 'upgrade' though...

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11575 of 11840 Old 11-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Yeah, just saw that. I'm curious why the replacement for the Threes (the C3 Bookshelf) kept the same all metal drivers but the C4 Tower did not (has polypropylene for the lower midrange and woofers) . The C3 basically looks like the same as the Classic 3, just a new box. The C4 is supposed to play louder than the Classic 4, but has the same exact specs, including the sensitivity of 86db. I'd like to hear them in person once they come out. I do like that the new C4 is fully sealed though and doesn't have a 'subwoofer' like the Classic 4, so should require less power since bass takes a lot more power to dive. May be all a moot point though since most of us XO to a sub anyway (which they are counting on). The metal plates used for mounting the domes kinda remind me of the past, when all those type of drivers were mounted using some type of metal plate. Kinda like a new design with a retro feel.

In any case, I'm interested in taking a listen. Not sure if I'll 'upgrade' though...

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11576 of 11840 Old 11-03-2015, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I was wondering if the NHT guys would radically redesign the classic line. I am not surprised they didn't because they were so good to begin with. Taking out the classic 2 and just replacing the zero and 3 was a wise move as the classic 2 was the red-headed step child of the bunch.

I remember John Ashman saying that he had hoped NHT would make a 3 1/2..... the classic 3 with a one or two more 6.5's (aluminum) underneath it, but all the woofers are poly in the C4 . I still like the slim profile though, and know I could find a place for them. Thinking they will retail around $1500 or what do you folks think ?

Last edited by unbridled_id; 11-03-2015 at 04:29 AM. Reason: for fun
post #11577 of 11840 Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridled_id View Post
I was wondering if the NHT guys would radically redesign the classic line. I am not surprised they didn't because they were so good to begin with. Taking out the classic 2 and just replacing the zero and 3 was a wise move as the classic 2 was the red-headed step child of the bunch.

I remember John Ashman saying that he had hoped NHT would make a 3 1/2..... the classic 3 with a one or two more 6.5's (aluminum) underneath it, but all the woofers are poly in the C4 . I still like the slim profile though, and know I could find a place for them. Thinking they will retail around $1500 or what do you folks think ?
Yeah, I really wished they kept all metal drivers. The C4 is 'less' speaker than the Fours, so shouldn't cost any more. The Fours have much more cabinet material weighing 50% more and an actual sub. So price should be about the same. I still want to hear them and see if there's an improvement over the Fours.

Agreed on the Twos...

I agree that the Classics are hard to improve on at their price range.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11578 of 11840 Old 11-03-2015, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I really wished they kept all metal drivers. The C4 is 'less' speaker than the Fours, so shouldn't cost any more. The Fours have much more cabinet material weighing 50% more and an actual sub. So price should be about the same. I still want to hear them and see if there's an improvement over the Fours.

Agreed on the Twos...

I agree that the Classics are hard to improve on at their price range.

Cav I was thinking the C4's would be less than the classic 4's. Basically the C4 is the absolute tower with a 2" mid-range.. Though I would imagine the crossover is different & "improved". But as you said there is so much more that goes into the classic 4's.

Has anybody seen any info regarding pricing for the C series or have I simply missed it ?

Last edited by unbridled_id; 11-03-2015 at 08:36 AM.
post #11579 of 11840 Old 11-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridled_id View Post
Cav I was thinking the C4's would be less than the classic 4's. Basically the C4 is the absolute tower with a 2" mid-range.. Though I would imagine the crossover is different & "improved". But as you said there is so much more that goes into the classic 4's.

Has anybody seen any info regarding pricing for the C series or have I simply missed it ?
I have not seen any pricing on any of the new series yet. I'm curious. As for the C4's, I figured with inflation, cost of materials, etc. that they would be about the price of the Classic 4's. They are a step up from the Absolute tower (as you said, the XO will be better because of the addition of the 2" driver). The Classic series were actually built extremely well: very well made cabinets, excellent drivers, and well built XO's. All within a great price range to compete with many other brand offerings. NHT is in a very difficult price range as far a competition is concerned (from SVS, JBL/Harman, HSU, KEF, Aperion, and many others). For me personally, I prefer sealed designs and the competition there dwindles down to only a few.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
post #11580 of 11840 Old 11-03-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
I agree I would like to know more about the M7. I plan on calling tomorrow to see if I can get some information on them.
Allen
Were you able to gather any information from NHT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page