New NHT Classic line to replace Super Audio - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 245Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11791 of 11840 Old 02-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I have the C3 front speakers and i'm quite happy with my set up.
I experimented with 3 different receivers : yamaha, marranz power amp 2.0 class A, and now i have a Denon X1500.

The best sound for was from the marantz however the Denon Audessey with Dynamic Eq: on changes the bass so much that it makes a lot of music come to life. Only downside is i find it to be a little bit bright sometimes in some gun video games ala COD , battlefield etc.. I wish i would have went with the Denon X2000 and above..models. Nonetheless i'm extremely satisfied with the sound. I'm just missing a good center speaker now and a good sub. But for music i don't think the C3 actually need a sub with Audessey DYN eq set to on...I wish i could adjust the EQ on the Denon manually and set the DYN EQ : on at the same time but that's impossible. The sound on the Denon is years ahead of Yamaha with the NHT for sure. A newer marantz that has 4k and atmosphere would be amazing i bet too .

If anyone considers this speaker u need at least 80 watts per channel , and i suggest around 95 and up to make them sound even better ! Go for Denon or Marantz too makes a big difference for sure.
123go is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11792 of 11840 Old 02-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Member
 
jayr0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
I have the C3 front speakers and i'm quite happy with my set up.
I experimented with 3 different receivers : yamaha, marranz power amp 2.0 class A, and now i have a Denon X1500.

The best sound for was from the marantz however the Denon Audessey with Dynamic Eq: on changes the bass so much that it makes a lot of music come to life. Only downside is i find it to be a little bit bright sometimes in some gun video games ala COD , battlefield etc.. I wish i would have went with the Denon X2000 and above..models. Nonetheless i'm extremely satisfied with the sound. I'm just missing a good center speaker now and a good sub. But for music i don't think the C3 actually need a sub with Audessey DYN eq set to on...I wish i could adjust the EQ on the Denon manually and set the DYN EQ : on at the same time but that's impossible. The sound on the Denon is years ahead of Yamaha with the NHT for sure. A newer marantz that has 4k and atmosphere would be amazing i bet too .

If anyone considers this speaker u need at least 80 watts per channel , and i suggest around 95 and up to make them sound even better ! Go for Denon or Marantz too makes a big difference for sure.
I've looked at the denons and marantz quite a bit. I have a x2200 and wanted to upgrade to get audyssey xt 32, but decided on a nad t758v3. I hear dirac does a good job, I havent run it yet, but wonder how it manages the bass response as I thought audyssey did a nice job of it.

I believe the x3300 and up allows you to edit your own curves.
jayr0c is offline  
post #11793 of 11840 Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Hi Jay,

I have not heard the Ascends's, but the Revels I'm familiar with and they are great speakers for the price. As stated before, this is a very competitive price range with a lot of options from many companies. I'm particular to sealed speakers for music, but have heard many vented ones that sound awesome also - as the ones from Revel and JBL (Harman). For me, the NHT's were the best match at it's price range for what I wanted in a speaker with great fit-and-finish and awesome sound. But, I have to admit that I also mix on JBL studio monitors (and some others like Genelec). Focal also makes some very nice monitors.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11794 of 11840 Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
123go,

Do get a sub! It will make all the difference in the world, even with music giving you much more than you can imagine. Your C3's will also play much louder with less stress since you'll be off-loading the bass which actually takes a lot of power. Your movies will really come to life (as will your games)!

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #11795 of 11840 Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
123go,

Do get a sub! It will make all the difference in the world, even with music giving you much more than you can imagine. Your C3's will also play much louder with less stress since you'll be off-loading the bass which actually takes a lot of power. Your movies will really come to life (as will your games)!
yea i found a dealed close by that carries SVS and emotiva (speakers)...I'm leaning towards the pb-2000(or 1000). Room is 19-30, but i only use half the room for speakers...

ill get the emotivas soon too cause i'm finding the C3 sometimes too bright even if i love them for there overall performance.
Lp85253 likes this.
123go is offline  
post #11796 of 11840 Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,402
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
yea i found a dealed close by that carries SVS and emotiva (speakers)...I'm leaning towards the pb-2000(or 1000). Room is 19-30, but i only use half the room for speakers...

ill get the emotivas soon too cause i'm finding the C3 sometimes too bright even if i love them for there overall performance.
if you want treble extension with no fatigue emotiva is a good choice.. there may be others as well , but i have yet to find their equal...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #11797 of 11840 Old 02-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still have the Supertwos' that I bought brand new when they first came out. They still sound great and I'd put them up against anything sold today in that range. I use the Superzero as my surrounds and the SC2 as my center. I'm thinking about upgrading to the SB1 for my surrounds. I have a Superone 2.1 that I use as a center in the other room and does a great job. Great all-around speaker that can be used for anything really. Best thing about these older models is that you can find great deals on E-Bay.
mdinno is offline  
post #11798 of 11840 Old 02-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdinno View Post
I still have the Supertwos' that I bought brand new when they first came out. They still sound great and I'd put them up against anything sold today in that range. I use the Superzero as my surrounds and the SC2 as my center. I'm thinking about upgrading to the SB1 for my surrounds. I have a Superone 2.1 that I use as a center in the other room and does a great job. Great all-around speaker that can be used for anything really. Best thing about these older models is that you can find great deals on E-Bay.
Ah, I remember the SuperTwos, very good for the price. The SC2 is more timbre matched to the ST4's or SB3's, but once you use an auto-calibration system they can match pretty well. The super center would match the SuperTwos perfectly if you can grab one (or upgrade your SuperTwos to ST4's/SB3's and move the Twos to another room.

I remember the Twos/Ones and Zeros very well - enjoyed a full system of them for many years! They are still being enjoyed by some other family members whom I passed them to.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #11799 of 11840 Old 04-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Ah, I remember the SuperTwos, very good for the price. The SC2 is more timbre matched to the ST4's or SB3's, but once you use an auto-calibration system they can match pretty well. The super center would match the SuperTwos perfectly if you can grab one (or upgrade your SuperTwos to ST4's/SB3's and move the Twos to another room.

I remember the Twos/Ones and Zeros very well - enjoyed a full system of them for many years! They are still being enjoyed by some other family members whom I passed them to.
Yeah, I've been thinking about upgrading to the C3. I know the C3 is a much better speaker than the SuperTwo it's just a money thing. Actually the C3 would blow them away. Would upgrading the center channel from the SC2 to the C LCR be worth it? That's the better question. The SuperOne 2.1 are great as surrounds so i would stick with them. I do know I'll never buy towers ever again unless I spend at least $1,000 per speaker. Bookshelves are absolutely the way to go and I even like the way they look too. I have to say if I could go back I would have went with bookshelves. not that my SuperTwo have been bad speakers just that at the price I paid for them I could have gotten supreme sound with bookshelves at that price point.

Last edited by mdinno; 04-14-2019 at 05:56 AM.
mdinno is offline  
post #11800 of 11840 Old 04-14-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
plain fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Okc, OK
Posts: 1,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm still using my NHT T5s for FL/FR/SL/SR and an M5 for center duty and love the way they sound. I've often played the "if I had to start again" game in my mind but I have no idea what I would replace them with. But with age comes wisdom, so I'd probably go used for whatever I decided to purchase.
DJ_JonnyV and CRAW like this.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
plain fan is offline  
post #11801 of 11840 Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
CRAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I found (4) old Super One's (made in the USA version - 1?), an old Super Center (made in USA version - 1?), a pair of rather nice speaker stands, and an old Velodyne CT-120 subwoofer on Craigslist for a decent price.





The subwoofer was basically just thrown in as he knew it wasn't worth much, and truth be told sadly it doesn't work as the fuse blows each time I turn it on (any ideas on how to fix it?). But in saying that, the deal was still a good deal and I'm happy with my purchase. The old Super Ones were great speakers!






(just tryin' to keep the NHT thread flowin')

Last edited by CRAW; 04-19-2019 at 07:56 AM.
CRAW is offline  
post #11802 of 11840 Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
I found (4) old Super One's (made in the USA version - 1?), an old Super Center (made in USA version - 1?), a pair of rather nice speaker stands, and an old Velodyne CT-120 subwoofer on Craigslist for a decent price.
I ran 4 of the original Super One's, Super Center, and a Velodyne VA-1210 from around 1999-2005.

Great speakers for the money that brought me a lot of enjoyment.

How are the foam woofer surrounds on the speakers and sub? Still intact?


-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is online now  
post #11803 of 11840 Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
CRAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
How are the foam woofer surrounds on the speakers and sub? Still intact?

-

Yeah. From what I can tell they appear to be just fine. The sub too. It looks to be in nearly mint condition, and it looks better than the CT-120 I've been using all these years. Just that the fuse blows every time I turn it on.

Now you got me thinking... I guess I better hook the speakers up! This was a very well-to-do person, and seemingly trustworthy person, in a well-to-do home, but this was the first time buying used and not auditioning first.

CRAW is offline  
post #11804 of 11840 Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
Yeah. From what I can tell they appear to be just fine. The sub too. It looks to be in nearly mint condition, and it looks better than the CT-120 I've been using all these years. Just that the fuse blows every time I turn it on.

Now you got me thinking... I guess I better hook the speakers up! This was a very well-to-do person, and seemingly trustworthy person, in a well-to-do home, but this was the first time buying used and not auditioning first.

Good to hear that the foam surrounds look good. I think the foam on those NHT drivers is more durable than the foam on many other speakers from the 1970's-90's.

If you got a good deal, at least you have 4 speakers for parts if you discover there are some driver issues...but hopefully they all work fine.

Just FYI...I keep this small, cheap, battery powered Dayton Audio amp in my car for testing speakers from Craigslist, thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...5-wpc--300-380
DJ_JonnyV, CRAW and Lp85253 like this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is online now  
post #11805 of 11840 Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DJ_JonnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Just FYI...I keep this small, cheap, battery powered Dayton Audio amp in my car for testing speakers from Craigslist, thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...5-wpc--300-380
That's hilarious! You have full-blown HT / Audio disease!!
Lp85253 likes this.

DJ_JonnyV
DJ_JonnyV is offline  
post #11806 of 11840 Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_JonnyV View Post
That's hilarious! You have full-blown HT / Audio disease!!
Yep, I'm a bit of a speaker picker, and like to be prepared with that little amp.

I enjoy finding deals, fixing them up if necessary (recapping crossovers, refoaming woofers, etc.), giving some of them to family and friends, and holding others for my kids when they move out.

Relevant to this thread...I picked up a pair of NHT SB3 and SB2 from CL a few years ago. Nice sounding speakers.

Currently owning SB3 and SB2, and previously owning Super One's and a Super Center years ago, pretty big fan of NHT speakers! Consistently good sound for the money, IME.


-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is online now  
post #11807 of 11840 Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
CRAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey, guys... What do you think is a fair price for a pair of Classic Three's and a Three C center? They are in "like new" condition, and sound great!
CRAW is offline  
post #11808 of 11840 Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
mmsean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
Hey, guys... What do you think is a fair price for a pair of Classic Three's and a Three C center? They are in "like new" condition, and sound great!
What's the condition and are you willing to split the Three's from the Three C? Also when did you buy them? I know older Three's some of the parts you can't buy anymore unfortunately.
mmsean is offline  
post #11809 of 11840 Old 06-14-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
CRAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsean View Post
What's the condition and are you willing to split the Three's from the Three C? Also when did you buy them? I know older Three's some of the parts you can't buy anymore unfortunately.

Like new condition


No, I'm not willing to split, and they are the old, original version.
CRAW is offline  
post #11810 of 11840 Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,402
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
imo. make sure you get something in the area of $300 for the set.. good stuff , but kinda old...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #11811 of 11840 Old 06-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
CRAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
imo. make sure you get something in the area of $300 for the set.. good stuff , but kinda old...

$300 for the set? Seriously? $100 per speaker? I'd rather put them away then. I guess.
BGLeduc likes this.
CRAW is offline  
post #11812 of 11840 Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Dayton10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
$300 for the set? Seriously? $100 per speaker? I'd rather put them away then. I guess.
A set of these three just went for 500.00 plus shipping on ebay. Was a buy it now and did not last long. I would think you could get 600.00 if you have the boxes and willing to ship.
BGLeduc likes this.
Dayton10 is offline  
post #11813 of 11840 Old 06-14-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,402
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAW View Post
$300 for the set? Seriously? $100 per speaker? I'd rather put them away then. I guess.
i didn't say not to get more .. that would be the least i would take.. i am of the opinion that people place way to much value on their stuff.. and try and get up to 70-80 % of retail for 10 yr old stuff , but, that's not what i am saying here ,, i was giving you the price i thought you should not go lower than , you'd be ripping yourself off....

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #11814 of 11840 Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Hey Craw,

The Classic 3's have been selling on eBay for about half price for the most part ($200 for the Threes and $250 for the center). I actually picked up a pair of extra ones the end of last year locally hear (Craigslist) that were in like new condition - looked mint actually - for $200 each and thought it was a great deal since the condition was awesome.

BTW, how is the set of Super Ones working out? I had an original set back in the late 80's along with original Super Zeros and they were awesome for the price (still are). Enjoyed them for many years until replaced by 1.5's when they came out.

As for your your Velodyne sub, it could be a problem with the driver or the amp. You can easily test the driver by pulling it out and attaching it to any amp and see if you can drive it without problems. If it works, then there is in issue with the amp which could be a short or more likely a bad capacitor as they can go bad over time. Really can only diagnose in person so am only speculating. I've repaired quite a few. If you were local I'd hand you over an old Velodyne DPS-10 I have stored that works great - a bit too heavy to ship without original box.
CRAW and Lp85253 like this.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #11815 of 11840 Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I have the classic 4's and i agree the classic 3's which are on the 4's are outstanding......I use the 4's as pc speakers in my bedroom haha.
Lp85253 likes this.
stngray72 is offline  
post #11816 of 11840 Old 06-21-2019, 11:25 AM
Answer Seeking / Sharing
 
cavchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
I have the classic 4's and i agree the classic 3's which are on the 4's are outstanding......I use the 4's as pc speakers in my bedroom haha.
That's a LOT of speaker for a PC (or a bedroom)! As for the Fours and Threes, they are a bit different on the low end as the Threes have a woofer that goes down pretty low while the Fours 6.5" drivers is a mid-bass driver and crosses over to the 10" at 125 Hz. Jack Hidley (who designed them) talked about this in more detail some where in the beginning of this thread. Having said that, I do prefer the Fours mid-bass to the mid-bass from the Threes, but they are close.

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
cavchameleon is offline  
post #11817 of 11840 Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Member
 
Justins123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Surround Options for 5.2.2 System

Hello NHT fans!

I'm finally in the process of cobbling together my home theater room after moving into a new house over two years ago. I'm planning on a 5.2.2 system using the following:

Denon 3500
NHT 3.3 (biamped using Parasound HCA-2200II and a pair of SA-3s)
NHT AC-2
NHT iC4 for middle overhead speakers

My question is what current NHT speaker should I use for the left and right surrounds? I have a pair of 1.5s, but would prefer something smaller.

SuperOne 2.1? C1? C3? Are the C1s and C3s overkill for surround speakers? Thoughts on what would be the best match?

Thanks!
Justins123 is offline  
post #11818 of 11840 Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,402
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justins123 View Post
Hello NHT fans!

I'm finally in the process of cobbling together my home theater room after moving into a new house over two years ago. I'm planning on a 5.2.2 system using the following:

Denon 3500
NHT 3.3 (biamped using Parasound HCA-2200II and a pair of SA-3s)
NHT AC-2
NHT iC4 for middle overhead speakers

My question is what current NHT speaker should I use for the left and right surrounds? I have a pair of 1.5s, but would prefer something smaller.

SuperOne 2.1? C1? C3? Are the C1s and C3s overkill for surround speakers? Thoughts on what would be the best match?

Thanks!
i think superones for surrounds would probably be plenty ,, c1's if you are made of $$$

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #11819 of 11840 Old 09-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Member
 
kombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looking to upgrade my fronts soon. I'm upgrading from a 10-year old Yamaha HTIB, so pretty much anything will be an upgrade. Had been leaning Emotiva or HTD, but NHT has caught my eye. I see the SuperOne 2.1 and SuperCenter is SuperCheap on Amazon. Clearly not looking to spend a ton. What are people's thoughts on these speakers?
kombat is offline  
post #11820 of 11840 Old 09-04-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,402
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Looking to upgrade my fronts soon. I'm upgrading from a 10-year old Yamaha HTIB, so pretty much anything will be an upgrade. Had been leaning Emotiva or HTD, but NHT has caught my eye. I see the SuperOne 2.1 and SuperCenter is SuperCheap on Amazon. Clearly not looking to spend a ton. What are people's thoughts on these speakers?
go with the c series instead .. on sale now .. this will save you from having to upgrade anytime soon..
CRAW likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off