Please Join and post what speakers you have - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1937Likes

post #4261 of 6335 Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Your LP is your bed and you are going to do 9.2
And the .2 are 18 inches
Assuming a bedroom this is a lot of bass

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge, and my ability to pass it on, many time I express myself the wrong way

For "What would you suggest for a real processor and amp(s) if my budget for both is $2000? What would a real processor gain me? (Actual, serious question)"

This last one, I have to be conscious not to steer in the wrong direction since it is not my money!!!
The way of up grades to be heard as to biggest improvement to the least are;
-Speaker and sub/s first and room acoustic.
Both can play a big difference in your sound, so both are equal.
-Power, either from a receiver or power amp, if the power source ran out of juice, you will run into distortion and worst, clipping, a very dangerous place to be for speaker, since clipping can damage speakers. This is where a power amp make a difference for the power.
-adequate electronics and cables, speakers wires and cables should be of the proper sizes and I am guilty to over size when not needed.

How many channels do you need for a power/s amps?
This would be my second upgrade if you do not have room treatments.

Last but the most important one for the budget.
The processor fall into electronics. This one is difficult to explain and will try to do my best.

Processor use better parts;
DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)
Resistors, capacitors and so on.
At the end, it result into a more spacious sound that make the speakers disappear.

My most important suggestion to you.
Buy an AVR for now!
The words of electronics is moving to fast for the formats wars.
2 years ago, my processor was a reference piece, now it is a boat anchors.
When all the format settle, then you can move into processors if you still so desire

Ray
Yes, you are correct. I am hoping to make this a 9.2 system, and the .2 are UM-18s, and they kick ass in the room. I run (iNuke 3000DSP) anywhere from 60% - 70% gain and run them about 2-3dB hot. It's a 12x12x8 room, not 100% square, but basically.

*One thing that I was still unclear about, can you mix monopole and di/bipole speakers?* I currently use HTD Level 2 towers as surrounds. If I added rear surrounds, they would need to be mounted on the back wall. This is the same wall where the headboard is, so the surrounds would be mounted on the wall behind be. I was just seeing if there would be any real benefit in adding the rear surrounds for a more immersive experience or have an ill affect because of placement. Ill post a picture later on.

I still have 6 acoustic panels to hang. I was just waiting to mount them after I get the surround situation figured out incase I had to rearrange anything.

I do have a Denon x4100 which I got after the x4200 was released (http://usa.denon.com/us/product/home...rsht/avrx4100w).
This has Neo:X, Atmos decoding (which I don't intent to use in this room), 9.2 channels of processing, but only 7 amplified channels (I know I will need a 2-channel amp if using all 9 channels), 125 wpc 8ohms 2-channels driven. I already have plans to audition an XPA-3 after I get my surrounds hooked up. But I want to see how the x4100 handles everything first, then do a comparison by giving the Denon a break of the three main channels (80hz crossover all the way around).

EDIT: scratch my info about the amps, here is a pic from Denon's website description.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 10.29.57 AM.png
Views:	968
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1074474  

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log

Last edited by bgtighe23; 11-23-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 6335 Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I currently have a 2003 or 2004 Onkyo HT-R510 HTIB 6.1 system being ran as a 5.1.
post #4263 of 6335 Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 3442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Yes, you are correct. I am hoping to make this a 9.2 system, and the .2 are UM-18s, and they kick ass in the room. I run (iNuke 3000DSP) anywhere from 60% - 70% gain and run them about 2-3dB hot. It's a 12x12x8 room, not 100% square, but basically.

*One thing that I was still unclear about, can you mix monopole and di/bipole speakers?* I currently use HTD Level 2 towers as surrounds. If I added rear surrounds, they would need to be mounted on the back wall. This is the same wall where the headboard is, so the surrounds would be mounted on the wall behind be. I was just seeing if there would be any real benefit in adding the rear surrounds for a more immersive experience or have an ill affect because of placement. Ill post a picture later on.

I still have 6 acoustic panels to hang. I was just waiting to mount them after I get the surround situation figured out incase I had to rearrange anything.

I do have a Denon x4100 which I got after the x4200 was released (http://usa.denon.com/us/product/home...rsht/avrx4100w).
This has Neo:X, Atmos decoding (which I don't intent to use in this room), 9.2 channels of processing, but only 7 amplified channels (I know I will need a 2-channel amp if using all 9 channels), 125 wpc 8ohms 2-channels driven. I already have plans to audition an XPA-3 after I get my surrounds hooked up. But I want to see how the x4100 handles everything first, then do a comparison by giving the Denon a break of the three main channels (80hz crossover all the way around).

EDIT: scratch my info about the amps, here is a pic from Denon's website description.

For "One thing that I was still unclear about, can you mix monopole and di/bipole speakers?* I currently use HTD Level 2 towers as surrounds. If I added rear surrounds, they would need to be mounted on the back wall. This is the same wall where the headboard is, so the surrounds would be mounted on the wall behind be. I was just seeing if there would be any real benefit in adding the rear surrounds for a more immersive experience or have an ill affect because of placement. Ill post a picture later on."

I would check here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...ipole-one.html
You will have more answer than mine alone, me I went from di/bipole to monopole, but it is a personal preference and nothing more or lest.
For the rear speakers, I am the type of a purist that leave Stereo to Stereo and 5.1 to 5.1 and 7.1 to 7.1
When I got extra channels, I call it, extra gravy on my fries

For the receiver, post a tread here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...ps-processors/

For the amps
If your receiver work fine, than you are Golden, if not, you might want to look into a separate amp, with an AVR output for now. When all the Audio war settle, then perhaps, move into a real processor if you so desire.
Most receiver never deliver all the power to all channels, there rating is not the same as power amps for all channels. Two good place to start look!
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/index.html
https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/amplifiers-0
No matter of many channels you need

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 11-26-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4264 of 6335 Old 11-25-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My current set up

Epos Epic 2 (left/right)
Epos M8 (center)
BIC PL66 (surrounds)
Rythmik LV12R Subwoofer

Outlaw pre-amp
Outlaw 5000 Amp

Last edited by trancein; 12-08-2015 at 01:07 PM.
post #4265 of 6335 Old 11-26-2015, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I'm no audiophile but I do like and appreciate good sound.

I'm also broke - to steal a line "I got debts no honest man can pay"

I have a little 2.1 system - music only.
I use diamond 10sr's, paired with a polk psw10 subwoofer.

I've paired them to a smsl 50wpc mini amp.

AWESOME
arftech likes this.
post #4266 of 6335 Old 11-28-2015, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm new to the forums. Here is a link to all 34 photos on Photobucket... http://s578.photobucket.com/user/ton...ter%20Speakers and here is a link to my set-up on YouTube which lists all the specs of both my JBL Studio Series speakers and my Klipsch Reference Series II speakers...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6Fav.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	1083522   Click image for larger version

Name:	8Fav.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1083530   Click image for larger version

Name:	12Fav.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1083538   Click image for larger version

Name:	16Fav.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1083546   Click image for larger version

Name:	17Fav.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	1083554  

Name:	32Fav.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	1083562   Click image for larger version

Name:	34Fav.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1083570  
post #4267 of 6335 Old 11-28-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3491 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
You have a Klipsch & JBL storefront display in your house?

I'm confused about the reasons for a "wall of sound." Do you have massive speaker selector switch or are you attempting to run all those speakers at once?

Sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around this installation. You seem to have a pile of center speakers, but no screen for the common use of them as part of a AV system. The collection looks like...a collection of all the speakers with black cabinets and copper colored drivers. You forgot KEF LS-50 and special edition Reference series, and probably a few others.

What amplifiers are you driving those with? Are you ever trying to light them all up at once?

Very confusing array, but shows a lot of money spent. Congratulations.
post #4268 of 6335 Old 11-28-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Question: You have a Klipsch & JBL storefront display in your house?
Answer: Lol.

Question: I'm confused about the reasons for a "wall of sound." Do you have massive speaker selector switch or are you attempting to run all those speakers at once?
Answer: I believe you are confusing a "wall of sound" with a "show of force"...the arrangement was simply for a photo. I am not running all the speakers at once.

If you clicked on the YouTube link you would see the answer in the description. Also, included in the video and slideshow is a spreadsheet detailing the both the specs and what each speaker is used for in the home theater.

For the last ten years or so, I used the JBL Studio Series 9.1 configuration. I recently purchased 11 Klipsch Reference Series II speakers and the 4 15" subs. I decided to line them all up and take a photo of both series simply because when would you ever see both collections together like that again?

Question: Sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around this installation. You seem to have a pile of center speakers, but no screen for the common use of them as part of a AV system. The collection looks like...a collection of all the speakers with black cabinets and copper colored drivers. You forgot KEF LS-50 and special edition Reference series, and probably a few others.
Answer: I don't know anyone that would attempt to use a pile of center speakers. They were simply arranged like that for a photo as mentioned above. My nephew will get the JBL collection when he gets older. I thought he would like this photo showing his speakers in his Uncle Tony's theater when he gets the gift years from now (he is five now and we took some shots of him in front of both collections which I haven't made public).

I know the link to the Photobucket slideshow had at least two photos showing the motorized screen (although the screen was up near the ceiling, so I could see how you might easily miss it). I thought I included at least one of those photos in the post above but I could be wrong. The purpose of the photos was not to show my entire home theater room, it was to show the speakers as this is the speaker sub-group of this forum. Maybe one day I will decide to post the entire theater in that section of the forum (once I purchase my final amp solution which will include separates).

As described in the description on the YouTube link provided in my post, the set-up is as follows:

Klipsch:
4 Klipsch R-115SW subwoofers
1 Klipsch RC-64 II center speaker
2 Klipsch RF-7 II front floorstanding speakers
2 Klipsch RF-7 II front wide floorstanding speakers
2 Klipsch RB-81 II front height surround speakers
2 Klipsch RB-81 II side surround speakers
2 Klipsch RB-81 II rear surround speakers

JBL:
1 JBL S-Center speaker
2 JBL S412P tower speakers
2 JBL S36 front height speakers
2 JBL S38 side surround speakers
2 JBL S36 rear surround speakers

Question: What amplifiers are you driving those with? Are you ever trying to light them all up at once?
Answer: I am using two Denon receivers for now. My Denon AVR-X5200W power the Klipsch center speaker, the front towers, the front wide towers, the side surrounds and the rear surrounds. The four Klipsch subs are also connected to this receiver. I use the pre-amp output labeled Height 1 to connect to my older Denon AVR-4802. That receiver powers my front height surrounds, completing the 11.4 speaker configuration.

Next year, I will purchase a separates such as the two NAD Masters Series 22 amps (both are 250W X 2 and each will power one pair of front towers), along with the NAD Masters Series M27 amp (which is 180W X 7 and that will power the other 7 speakers in the Klipsch collection) and the NAD Masters Series M12 Pre-amp/DAC (that will replace the Denon processor)...although I have not started my research yet to determine my final solution.

Question: Very confusing array, but shows a lot of money spent. Congratulations.
Answer: Thank you. I hope the above responses answered all of your questions. If I didn't, please feel free to PM me.
^^^Ken, see responses above.

Power Sound Audio: 2 V3600i dual 18" subs; SVS: sub interconnects; Klipsch: 4 R-115SW subs, 5 RF-7 IIs (center, front mains & side surrounds), 6 RB-81 IIs (front wide, front height & rear surrounds); Belden: 10 AWG copper speaker wire; Sewell Direct: Deadbolt banana plugs; ATI Morris Kessler Signature amps: AT6005 & AT4006; Mogami Gold: interconnects; Marantz Pre-amp: AV8802A; Oppo: UDP-203; Roku Ultra; PS4; APC; Mid Atlantic: RCS-27U rack w/fans; Epson: 5040UBe projector; Elite: 125" AT screen.
post #4269 of 6335 Old 11-29-2015, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the explanation Tony. I had clicked on the video within the forum posting and that didn't explain anything at all. It was just 9 minutes of pictures and music I don't care to listen to.

Not to be critical, rather I'm curious as to how big the room is for an 11.4 system and so many large speakers. My room is probably smaller at 13.5' x 19'. With KEF R500, R200C, SVS SB1000 sub and smaller KEF surrounds in a 5.1 system it fills my room pretty good. I might try up to 7.2.4 as absolutely max, so if your room is considerably larger that Klipsch set might not look so intimidating. I don't see any room treatments, just bare, square walls and a tiled floor. Have to taken steps to avoid a cacophony of bouncing sound waves?

Your potential head end upgrade to the NAD Masters products is a good path. That is similar to my long term plan. I wish you the very best. You have some excellent quality speakers there.
post #4270 of 6335 Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post

Question: Thanks for the explanation Tony. I had clicked on the video within the forum posting and that didn't explain anything at all. It was just 9 minutes of pictures and music I don't care to listen to.

Answer: I thought this photo, shown in both the vid and the slideshow, explain to the viewer the position of each speaker (it's listed right in the column heading) but I guess you missed it (one thing that may have been a little confusing is the placement of the subs which normally reside in each of the four corners of the room)...

Source:
http://s578.photobucket.com/user/ton...ter%20Speakers

Also, the following is listed in the description of the video...
Published on Nov 26, 2015
Klipsch:
4 Klipsch R-115SW subwoofers
1 Klipsch RC-64 II center speaker
2 Klipsch RF-7 II front floorstanding speakers
2 Klipsch RF-7 II front wide floorstanding speakers
2 Klipsch RB-81 II front height surround speakers
2 Klipsch RB-81 II side surround speakers
2 Klipsch RB-81 II rear surround speakers
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMQczX-VU4

Question: Not to be critical, rather I'm curious as to how big the room is for an 11.4 system and so many large speakers. My room is probably smaller at 13.5' x 19'. With KEF R500, R200C, SVS SB1000 sub and smaller KEF surrounds in a 5.1 system it fills my room pretty good. I might try up to 7.2.4 as absolutely max, so if your room is considerably larger that Klipsch set might not look so intimidating. I don't see any room treatments, just bare, square walls and a tiled floor. Have to taken steps to avoid a cacophony of bouncing sound waves?

Answer: You can be critical, or have a different opinion/s, lol. Imagine how boring the world would be if everyone had the same speakers! I just go by the motto, if an individual is happy with their system, than that is the ultimate system for them. There's nothing worse than guys that think there is one correct solution for everyone (and it's the one they have). But to have a different opinion/s...that's normal. My room does have significantly more square footage but you should remember just because someone has large speakers does not mean that they are always played at max capacity. Also, different speaker sizes sound different. For example, bass from a 15" subwoofer sounds different than the base produced by 12", 10" or 8" subwoofers. I believe the set-up may have looked intimidating because in the photos I posted with the old JBL system side-by-side with the new Klipsch system, there was no spacing between speakers and the new Klipsch reference series II system was all bunched together to get all the speakers in the shot (which we were never able to do BTW).

When listening to movies I enjoy having front height, side and rear surrounds for effects, to complement my center and front channel speakers. When listening to music, t.v. or games I enjoy using two pair of front speakers (as well as playing all 15 speakers at times). My room sounded very good with my old JBL Studio Series collection. For over 10 years, I had 7.1 in the room, until last year when I added the front height surrounds to make it 9.1. So, while an 11.4 is not required it's just nice to have. Kind of like how I had work done on my Mercedes-Benz. Did I need to set both world records for fastest and quickest 1/4 mile and both world records for most RWHP/RWTQ? Was that necessary? Certainly not. Is it cool that I did. Oh yeah! My friends and co-workers absolutely love it. It's a hobby that I share with my father who is retired. My nephew thinks it's awesome...so what's better than that?

I took a holistic approach when designing my home theater. As previously mentioned, since I was posting in the speaker sub-forum, I chose to have the speakers as the focal point of the photos. I think you may have missed the rug in the photo, but there are many more objects in the room to absorb sound waves and prevent harsh, unpleasant loud sounds that weren't shown. Here are some basic tips and tricks I have incorporated to address sound reflections: 1) all recliners in the room are away from the walls and speakers, 2) there are thermal insulated blackout curtains measuring 8' by 6' along the side wall, 3) the area rug is 12' x 9', 4) on both sidewalls approximately two-thirds of the way back from the front wall there are bookshelves that are approximately 6.5' tall, and 5) my Denon receiver came with Audyssey, the advanced room correction technology that automatically calibrates the speakers. Everyone that has listened to the system loved it and many wish they could do the same in their home. Most importantly, it sounds great to me.

Question: Your potential head end upgrade to the NAD Masters products is a good path. That is similar to my long term plan. I wish you the very best. You have some excellent quality speakers there.

Answer: I have done minimal research regarding the separates I will purchase next year but I do not believe I will be able to purchase any of the following brands to power my 11 speakers for a budget of $14,000-16,000: McIntosh, Krell, Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Parasound, Crown, IcePower and Cello. So, far I have only come across two options: 1) the NAD M17, the NAD M22 (two of them), and the NAD M27, and 2) Emotiva XPA-7 and Emotiva XPA-2 (two of them)...couldn't find an Emotiva pre-amp on their site for 11 speakers. I will ask around in both the Klipsch sub-forum and the Amp sub-forum here on AVS before I purchase to see what the community recommends for a synergistic effect when combined with the Klipsch Reference Series II speakers.

Best of luck to you with your future upgrades.

Ken, thanks for the follow-up questions. My responses are in red text above^^^

Power Sound Audio: 2 V3600i dual 18" subs; SVS: sub interconnects; Klipsch: 4 R-115SW subs, 5 RF-7 IIs (center, front mains & side surrounds), 6 RB-81 IIs (front wide, front height & rear surrounds); Belden: 10 AWG copper speaker wire; Sewell Direct: Deadbolt banana plugs; ATI Morris Kessler Signature amps: AT6005 & AT4006; Mogami Gold: interconnects; Marantz Pre-amp: AV8802A; Oppo: UDP-203; Roku Ultra; PS4; APC; Mid Atlantic: RCS-27U rack w/fans; Epson: 5040UBe projector; Elite: 125" AT screen.

Last edited by Tonycpa2004; 11-29-2015 at 09:33 PM.
post #4271 of 6335 Old 11-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just upgraded from my first 5.1 setup that is 15yrs old.
Now it is...
-Pioneer Elite SC-91
On order
-Monitor Audio Silver 10s
-MA Silver center
-MA Silver surrounds

Currently researching a sub.
post #4272 of 6335 Old 11-29-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt D View Post
I just upgraded from my first 5.1 setup that is 15yrs old.
Now it is...
-Pioneer Elite SC-91
On order
-Monitor Audio Silver 10s
-MA Silver center
-MA Silver surrounds

Currently researching a sub.

Any pics?

For the subs, here's a few good place to start;
http://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers
http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html
http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

Good luck with your search

Ray
Curt D likes this.
post #4273 of 6335 Old 11-29-2015, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Ray brings good suggestions - I can speak out of experience:

- HSU VTF-15 (MK1): great sub, all-around performance, very good price point
- PSA V1800: even better, but even more remarkable being doubled up. Smooth, precise, and pressure all over!

I cannot speak for either of the others, however, I highly value the price point of both, HSU and PSA.

Especially I value the fact that Tom V. from PSA is personally available for you if needed!

Take care,

Kev
darthray and Curt D like this.

Yamaha CX-A5100 | 2x Emotiva XPA-5 & XPA-3 | PSA MTM-210T | PSA-MTM210C | PSA-MT110SR | 2x PSA V1800 | AM 8033-SII
Sony 65" 4K| Apple-TV | Network stuff | a lot of wires | Understanding & forgiving GF - priceless!
post #4274 of 6335 Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Grimm View Post
Ray brings good suggestions - I can speak out of experience:

- HSU VTF-15 (MK1): great sub, all-around performance, very good price point
- PSA V1800: even better, but even more remarkable being doubled up. Smooth, precise, and pressure all over!

I cannot speak for either of the others, however, I highly value the price point of both, HSU and PSA.

Especially I value the fact that Tom V. from PSA is personally available for you if needed!

Take care,

Kev

Thanks, for backing-up my suggestions

You had, HSU and PSA.
And the ones I got are
http://www.svsound.com/collections/p...cts/pb13-ultra

For
"Especially I value the fact that Tom V. from PSA is personally available for you if needed!"

I can attest to that
Way back in the early 2000's, around 2003-4.
I send an e-mail to SVSubwoofer, it was name that way, before SVSound.

Tom V. replied to it and never tried to sell me one of there products (cylinder sub only at this point).
Instead, he tried to help me with my DIY.
We went back and forward about a dozen times

Then I went on tour (Service days) and he came with the PB12/2 Plus.
Bought one, than a second one, after I move to a house with concrete floor and carpet.

Then came my current ones, the PB13Ultra.
So I replace the two PB12/2 Plus to the PB13 Ultra.
His last design with SVS, I believe!?

Just though to share where Tom V., came from, and he his a man of his words

Ray
post #4275 of 6335 Old 11-29-2015, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Any pics?

For the subs, here's a few good place to start;
://svsound.com/pages/subwoofers
://.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.htm
//.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers
//.rythmikaudio.com/

Good luck with your search

Ray
Thanks for the links and advice! I will look into them. Also looking into the JL e-110.
No pics yet. I will get them up asap I ordered speakers on Saturday and should be here later in the week. I'm building a base under my 65 DLP base so I can get the bottom of the center channel about 20" from the floor (about 9" now).
Old setup is Klipsch RF-3s with center,surrounds and KSW-15 sub.
It is in an L shaped great room in a townhouse which is open to the kitchen. It's about 25x25' total w/8' ceilings. I'm going to build some wall treatments since I have invested a bit, but I won't tackle that for a few weeks. Treatments are new to me so I have to read up on that.
post #4276 of 6335 Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys! Need some advice. I've got a 5.1 setup at the moment. Definitive Technology all the way around. ProMonitor 1000s and ProCenter1000 up front and Prominitor 800s in the rear. Also have a 10" ProSub. I'm upgrading to Atmos 5.1.2 (small room). Rear speakers will be 6' up on side walls about 3' behind couch, angled in and slightly down. Front speakers and subs will remain in their current spot (behind my Acousticallg transparent screen). My question is: for my two overheads, should I get another pair of ProMonitor 800s? Been thinking about the BP1.2x Bipoles for overhead since it'll make a wider, more diffuse sound since our ears aren't really good at localizing overhead sounds. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Would appreciate it!
post #4277 of 6335 Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
long time lurker

hello all, ive been a member for about a year-ish now, and ive been a long long time lurker for many years. while i am a relative newb when it comes to home theater knowledge, i do like to think i have a good ear for quality, but sadly my wallet cant afford the quality i would like.

I currently have a nice front set-up, but im in the market for a nice pair of floorstanders. my room is carpeted and average size. the rears need to be wall mounted and im going with the AM40s to mount the pios bs-51s. my center was a Newegg find on the cheap (theater solutions C1) im aware its probably nowhere near the best but it serves well. my sub is a sony SA-W2500 10". i really like it, shakes my room to death lol. all this is being powered by a Denon 5.1 AVR-E300. im currently using the pios up front but with the floors being added soon they will be moved to the back. sooooooooo if anyone has any recommendations for my floors that would be awesome! or any other advice would be cool too!

Rec- Denon AVR-E300
Floors- HELP ME
Books-Pioneer BS-51
Center- Theater Solutions C1
Sub- Sony WA-2500 Powered 10"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sound.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1089098  
post #4278 of 6335 Old 11-30-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efernandezjr View Post
Hi guys! Need some advice. I've got a 5.1 setup at the moment. Definitive Technology all the way around. ProMonitor 1000s and ProCenter1000 up front and Prominitor 800s in the rear. Also have a 10" ProSub. I'm upgrading to Atmos 5.1.2 (small room). Rear speakers will be 6' up on side walls about 3' behind couch, angled in and slightly down. Front speakers and subs will remain in their current spot (behind my Acousticallg transparent screen). My question is: for my two overheads, should I get another pair of ProMonitor 800s? Been thinking about the BP1.2x Bipoles for overhead since it'll make a wider, more diffuse sound since our ears aren't really good at localizing overhead sounds. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Would appreciate it!

Look here for Atmos advise.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...r-version.html

Lots of reading and more than likely your answer will be there
If not, this is where, I would ask.
More knowledge and traffic for this type of set-up.

Good luck in your search.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 11-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #4279 of 6335 Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt D View Post
Thanks for the links and advice! I will look into them. Also looking into the JL e-110.
No pics yet. I will get them up asap I ordered speakers on Saturday and should be here later in the week. I'm building a base under my 65 DLP base so I can get the bottom of the center channel about 20" from the floor (about 9" now).
Old setup is Klipsch RF-3s with center,surrounds and KSW-15 sub.
It is in an L shaped great room in a townhouse which is open to the kitchen. It's about 25x25' total w/8' ceilings. I'm going to build some wall treatments since I have invested a bit, but I won't tackle that for a few weeks. Treatments are new to me so I have to read up on that.

JL also have a good reputation.

All my previous recommendation and the JL will be a big step above the Klipsch in my honest opinion.

Just take your time to read lots of reviews and do-it right the first time.
I like to say, it's not a race.

Ray
post #4280 of 6335 Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossbaker14 View Post
i do like to think i have a good ear for quality, but sadly my wallet cant afford the quality i would like.

I currently have a nice front set-up, but im in the market for a nice pair of floorstanders.
Sub- Sony WA-2500 Powered 10"

How about these
http://emptek.com/r55ti.php
Your front stage is very important for sound.
So I would also get one of these.
http://emptek.com/r5ci.php or better yet
http://emptek.com/r56ci.php

Last, when money allow-it, plan to change your current "Sub- Sony WA-2500 Powered 10" to a better one.
Lots of option for around $500
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...oducts/sb-1000
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...oducts/pb-1000
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html
or DIY to save more money
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95

Just take your time, take care of the front first and the sub later.
It's not a race, follow your budget and be patient, at the end it will be much more cheaper than not been happy and replacing everything.

All the above have good to very good reviews.

Good luck

Ray
ceptorman likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 12-05-2015 at 06:53 PM.
post #4281 of 6335 Old 12-04-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Kef 9.2

I'm new to the forum.
Just bought a 9.2 demo set.

KEF Q900 x 2
KEF Q300 x 2
KEF Q100 x 2
KEF Q800ds x 2
KEF qQ600c x 1
POlk Audio PSW505 x 2
KenM10759 likes this.
post #4282 of 6335 Old 12-04-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey B. View Post
I'm new to the forum.
Just bought a 9.2 demo set.

KEF Q900 x 2
KEF Q300 x 2
KEF Q100 x 2
KEF Q800ds x 2
KEF qQ600c x 1
POlk Audio PSW505 x 2

Nice set you've got there, REALLY complete. While the Polk subs are far outclassed by the KEF Q setup and the Q900's have almost as much bass output as the subs, you can upgrade those in the future and see just how good better ones would compliment your system.
post #4283 of 6335 Old 12-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Modest 5.1 living room system - front LR's are Chane A5rx-c's, center is a Chane A2rx-c, surrounds are Def Tec PM800's, and the air is pressurized nicely with a PSA S3000i.

Living Room: Sony XBR55X850B | Denon X2000 | L/R - Chane A1's | Gaming - Xbox One and 360

Basement: Denon 4520CI | L/R - Chane A5rx-c | Oppo 103D | Subwoofer - PSA S3000i
post #4284 of 6335 Old 12-05-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post
Modest 5.1 living room system - front LR's are Chane A5rx-c's, center is a Chane A2rx-c, surrounds are Def Tec PM800's, and the air is pressurized nicely with a PSA S3000i.

Thanks for your contribution

Any pictures?

Ray
post #4285 of 6335 Old 12-05-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'll have to stage a shot for the thread - right now there is a long plastic gate protecting the speakers and electronics so our 8-month-old cannot make any "adjustments" (he's learned how to crawl now!)

Living Room: Sony XBR55X850B | Denon X2000 | L/R - Chane A1's | Gaming - Xbox One and 360

Basement: Denon 4520CI | L/R - Chane A5rx-c | Oppo 103D | Subwoofer - PSA S3000i
post #4286 of 6335 Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post
I'll have to stage a shot for the thread - right now there is a long plastic gate protecting the speakers and electronics so our 8-month-old cannot make any "adjustments" (he's learned how to crawl now!)
Have you scrolled through this thread any? We don't care about a staged pic, we love to see setups however they present themselves!

The fact that you are protecting your setup with a gate makes it all the more interesting! It's nice to see you are making due, instead of putting everything away like i've seen some members have to do in the past.

I've uploaded very messy setup pics haha don't worry!
azz7686 likes this.

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
post #4287 of 6335 Old 12-06-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
My current setup:

Guleek minipc
Windows 10 OS
Albumplayer mediaplayer
Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC
AVI S21 MI amplifier
AVI Trio 3-way acoustic suspension speakers

Due to a relocation to a smaller listeningroom I am migrating to a more compact system, probably:
Same source components
Dirac Live room correction software
KEF X300A active speakers
KEF Q400b subwoofer
KenM10759 likes this.
post #4288 of 6335 Old 12-06-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Excellent choices of speakers for that application, you will be amazed!
post #4289 of 6335 Old 12-06-2015, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I just converted from Kef r700 and r600c to MA Gold series. The Kef R series was great, but I had so many paintwork problem with them. So I'm returning the r700 and buying parasound halo integrated to power my GX300 fronts. The GXW15 in the background is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2799l.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	1102746  

Audia Flight FLS 10 | PMC Fact 12 | Focal Sopra 2 | Rel S5
Hanss Acoustics T20 | SME IV | Avid Pulsus | Cadenza Bronze | MCRU Linear PSU |
post #4290 of 6335 Old 12-06-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by samye83 View Post
I just converted from Kef r700 and r600c to MA Gold series. The Kef R series was great, but I had so many paintwork problem with them. So I'm returning the r700 and buying parasound halo integrated to power my GX300 fronts. The GXW15 in the background is awesome.
Wow! very nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
amplifier advice , bose 901s , speaker advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page