Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1723Likes

post #39541 of 45055 Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
I'm receiving a cs10 today and wondering what distance away from the wall the reflex port should be?

Alien, congratulations on your CS10! The Polks like to have room around them, the more space the better. With that said, use the space you have, and try to have it at least a 3 to 6" from the wall.

What's more important to think about, is what you have in front of the CS10, is it in a console, on top of a shelf, on a stand? In other words, your front 3, L/C/R speakers should have nothing breaking the plane that connects the three. You want to be concerned about reflections, so your center speaker should be brought to the front of what ever it's sitting on so when the sound comes from it, it comes out into the room and not reflecting off any furniture or other objects that may be blocking it.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A W/M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39542 of 45055 Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
My point was that one hundred hours is not "hundreds".

Yeah, I saw that, forget it though, jukie won't admit he misread your post, because it's the "debate" that drives him forward

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A W/M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #39543 of 45055 Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
The problem is hard to explain but it sounds like the center is running too hot compared to the mains but it sounds decent when sitting head on. YPAO set the center's trim at - 3.0 and mains at -0.5 and +0.0. Any thoughts?
Hey again Alien, good to see that you moved your CC forward, I didn't see this post when I answered your other one concerning the purchase.

Looking at your numbers, the mains are hotter than your center, and not knowing what you're running for mains, usually, you want your CC TO run a little hotter than your mains.

If you can set the CC manually, I'd try it at +1 or even +1.5 and did I see you were considering M40's or M60's? I'm with Enders on this one, stick with the M40's, don't go over M50's, once you go M60's and M70's, you'll want a larger CC like the CS20 or CS2.

Generally, your mains are a larger speaker than your CC so your system will set it hotter, in your case now, your system has it the other way around. Try playing with some and try the suggestions I made concerning your Center Channel and see what happens.

Of course, until you have a happy front stage (same make, same series), you'll struggle with your set up.

Set up:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39544 of 45055 Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Greetings

Hello All!

I've had a few different Polk Audio speakers over the last 10 years.

I started with the R30 floorstanding speaker and then I upgraded to the R50 floorstander.

From there, I got into some of the "vintage" Polks.

I started there with Monitor 10 A's with the peerless tweeters. I also grabbed a pair of 10 B's and decided that they weren't for me. I got really lucky and scored a pair of Monitor 11's with peerless tweeters, 2 mid drivers, and a 12 passive radiator. These were a little bit of an oddball as the backs of the speakers featured a specific "LEFT" and "RIGHT" label, respectively. Even the owners manual listed them as R.T.A. 11 speakers.

I moved on to a pair of R.T.A. 11T speakers which featured dual mid-bass drivers and dual passive radiators. The mid-bass drivers flanked a metal dome tweeter. I replaced the metal dome tweeter with the RDO198-1 silk dome replacement tweeters, rebuilt the crossovers with the help of a friend using Solen caps & Mills resistors. We finished them off by building some pretty cool new foundations with spikes and added vampire wires gold binding posts.

The upgrade bug bit again when a pair of R.T.A. 15TL's showed up and I replaced the OEM tweeters with the silk dome tweeters and I replaced the OEM binding posts with new posts from Vampire wire.

I also had a HT system comprised of 4 Polk R15 speakers, a CSi25 Center Channel, and an SVS 20-39 PCi sub.

I moved into an apartment so most of the HT stuff had to go, but I kept the R15 speakers for use in my bedroom and living room.

I recently purchased some Polk RTi6 speakers for my bedroom and I am really pleased with them.

I ended up going with some Energy RC-10 speakers for the "HT" in the living room and I am really surprised at how "BIG" these little spears sound.

I've had the good fortune to try out a few other brands, makes, and models, but something keeps pulling back to Polk

Lots of good memories on my Polk journey!

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere
post #39545 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
Hello All!

I started with the R30 floorstanding speaker and then I upgraded to the R50 floorstander.

I started there with Monitor 10 A's with the peerless tweeters. I also grabbed a pair of 10 B's and decided that they weren't for me. I got really lucky and scored a pair of Monitor 11's with peerless tweeters, 2 mid drivers, and a 12 passive radiator. These were a little bit of an oddball as the backs of the speakers featured a specific "LEFT" and "RIGHT" label, respectively. Even the owners manual listed them as R.T.A. 11 speakers.

I moved on to a pair of R.T.A. 11T speakers which featured dual mid-bass drivers and dual passive radiators. The mid-bass drivers flanked a metal dome tweeter. I replaced the metal dome tweeter with the RDO198-1 silk dome replacement tweeters, rebuilt the crossovers with the help of a friend using Solen caps & Mills resistors. We finished them off by building some pretty cool new foundations with spikes and added vampire wires gold binding posts.

The upgrade bug bit again when a pair of R.T.A. 15TL's showed up and I replaced the OEM tweeters with the silk dome tweeters and I replaced the OEM binding posts with new posts from Vampire wire.

I also had a HT system comprised of 4 Polk R15 speakers, a CSi25 Center Channel, and an SVS 20-39 PCi sub.

I moved into an apartment so most of the HT stuff had to go, but I kept the R15 speakers for use in my bedroom and living room.

I recently purchased some Polk RTi6 speakers for my bedroom and I am really pleased with them.

I ended up going with some Energy RC-10 speakers for the "HT" in the living room and I am really surprised at how "BIG" these little spears sound.

I've had the good fortune to try out a few other brands, makes, and models, but something keeps pulling back to Polk

Now this, my friends, is a Polkie.
Aarghon and T.Tyson like this.
post #39546 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Yeah, I saw that, forget it though, jukie won't admit he misread your post, because it's the "debate"
Hey, good to see you again Geoff! I've missed you. The new group on G+ is too complicated for me, so I just turned off notifications and essentially dropped out. But if you didn't see it, I did pick up a third RtiA9 during the F&F sale last month to use as a center, to replace the CsiA6. Haven't hooked it up yet... may just keep it boxed til we move.

Speaking of moving, how the heck have you been? Last I heard you had downsized, but I understood that was to be temporary.

Keep in touch!

Denon AVR-x3400H, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, RtiA1 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, AVR-S930H
I once cried because I had no Atmos, until I met a man who had no stereo
post #39547 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Even the owners manual listed them as R.T.A. 11 speakers.

We have some things in common...I had a 'vintage' pair of the RTA 11's which I have recently replaced with RTi 8's and now have a seamless environment. The 11's never quite matched the CSi5, RTi6 (wides) and FXiA4 surrounds.

When I bought my '08 Corvette the salesman said "Wait until you hear the sound system" which he than turned on. My immediate reaction was "That sounds like crap". He then send "well it's a Bose"..."That explains it". My first and only real mod was getting the cheap Bose speakers that didn't even have a tweeter, replaced with some very nice Polk speakers.
post #39548 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Hello All!

If you want to relive the memories, I know someone still selling (I believe) a set of hot rodded Polk RTA 15TL's with upgraded crossovers and a bunch of other mods lol...

And he's in New Castle Indiana so he's not tooooooo far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post
We have some things in common...I had a 'vintage' pair of the RTA 11's which I have recently replaced with RTi 8's and now have a seamless environment. The 11's never quite matched the CSi5, RTi6 (wides) and FXiA4 surrounds.

When I bought my '08 Corvette the salesman said "Wait until you hear the sound system" which he than turned on. My immediate reaction was "That sounds like crap". He then send "well it's a Bose"..."That explains it". My first and only real mod was getting the cheap Bose speakers that didn't even have a tweeter, replaced with some very nice Polk speakers.
I still run the RTA 11TL's in my system and am getting ready to roll some modifications through them. TBH I like em better, thats right I said better than the LSi 15's and the LSiM 703's I've heard.....

But when compared to my restoration in progress Infinity RS-II's.... well.....

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #39549 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Now this, my friends, is a Polkie.
LOL! Thanks

Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
post #39550 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
If you want to relive the memories, I know someone still selling (I believe) a set of hot rodded Polk RTA 15TL's with upgraded crossovers and a bunch of other mods lol...

And he's in New Castle Indiana so he's not tooooooo far away

I still run the RTA 11TL's in my system and am getting ready to roll some modifications through them. TBH I like em better, thats right I said better than the LSi 15's and the LSiM 703's I've heard.....

But when compared to my restoration in progress Infinity RS-II's.... well.....
Heyyyyyyy now, you can't compare LSIM703s to RTA 11TLs! That's like comparing apples to slightly smaller apples with less drivers lol

I'll second the opinion on the corvette system as well. My 08 vetted was the worst stock sound system I've ever heard. I don't like bose but they're usually better than that. I had Bose in my 94 Z28 and my 2013 Mazda and both those are livable but the vett system was ridiculously terrible.

What's next after your Infinity project, seems like it's taking for ever..........
post #39551 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Very

Quote:
I bought my '08 Corvette the salesman said "Wait until you hear the sound system" which he than turned on. My immediate reaction was "That sounds like crap". He then send "well it's a Bose"..."That explains it". My first and only real mod was getting the cheap Bose speakers that didn't even have a tweeter, replaced with some very nice Polk speakers.
There was a time when I had BOSE speakers, myself. Later on, I discovered that I preferred other brands of audio equipment / loudspeakers. Some people enjoy the BOSE signature sound, but I'm not one of them. It's funny that you refer to the OEM BOSE speakers in your 'Vette as "cheap." One thing I've never heard BOSE speakers to be labeled as is "cheap." Cheaply made? Perhaps.

post #39552 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Well, to each his own, right? My take on the LSi15 is that it's a competent loudspeaker, but I honestly preferred the LSi9 > LSi15. I haven't heard the LSiM 703 so, I cannot comment on those. Personally, I felt that the RTA 11T was lacking when compared to the LSi9. However, the LSi9 REQUIRED a high powered, quality, amplifier to drive them, whereas the RTA 11T was easily driven by my Sonic Impact t-amp. lol. Just my $0.02. YMMV

post #39553 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28koda View Post

Heyyyyyyy now, you can't compare LSIM703s to RTA 11TLs! That's like comparing apples to slightly smaller apples with less drivers lol
Honestly they have about the same response but even w/o that IMHO the LSiM 703 just didn't engage as much.

Heck I did a LSi 9, modded LSI 9 and LSiM 703 shoutout with 4 people including myself and we ALL liked the stock 9s over the LSiM. Even my wife who honestly hates this stuff had to admit the 703s just weren't up to snuff.

I had em in my system for a MONTH and still liked the 15s better.

Still want to hear the 705 to compare to my 15s.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, to each his own, right? My take on the LSi15 is that it's a competent loudspeaker, but I honestly preferred the LSi9 > LSi15. I haven't heard the LSiM 703 so, I cannot comment on those. Personally, I felt that the RTA 11T was lacking when compared to the LSi9. However, the LSi9 REQUIRED a high powered, quality, amplifier to drive them, whereas the RTA 11T was easily driven by my Sonic Impact t-amp. lol. Just my $0.02. YMMV
Eh I like the accuracy but still engaging aspect of the RTAs. I also can run em closer to the wall and still have em sound good.

But to each his own, just not my cup of tea.

Both still need a sub regardless lol.

Quote:
What's next after your Infinity project, seems like it's taking for ever..........
Well that's cause I got too many going on and money's tight. I self fund these by doing work on the side or selling gear.

I've got a HT Martysub build going, a diy preamp mod and new enclosure going, stereo subs going and the RTA 11 mod hehehe...

All cost money and time which w a 2 year old and a full time job is hard to find lol.

I'm like a tortoise but I get it done eventually lol.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 01-13-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #39554 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Honestly they have about the same response but even w/o that IMHO the LSiM 703 just didn't engage as much.

Heck I did a LSi 9, modded LSI 9 and LSiM 703 shoutout with 4 people including myself and we ALL liked the stock 9s over the LSiM. Even my wife who honestly hates this stuff had to admit the 703s just weren't up to snuff.

I had em in my system for a MONTH and still liked the 15s better.

Still want to hear the 705 to compare to my 15s.

Eh I like the accuracy but still engaging aspect of the RTAs. I also can run em closer to the wall and still have em sound good.

But to each his own, just not my cup of tea.

Both still need a sub regardless lol.

Well that's cause I got too many going on and money's tight. I self fund these by doing work on the side or selling gear.

I've got a HT Martysub build going, a diy preamp mod and new enclosure going, stereo subs going and the RTA 11 mod hehehe...

All cost money and time which w a 2 year old and a full time job is hard to find lol.

I'm like a tortoise but I get it done eventually lol.
It wasn't actually a critique, I just really wanted to make a bad pun
Aarghon likes this.
post #39555 of 45055 Old 01-13-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It wasn't actually a critique, I just really wanted to make a bad pun
LOL, no offense taken. Been a long crazy day lol....

And I just now got it..... Infinity.... forever lol.......

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #39556 of 45055 Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Question for the Polkies: I just inherited a 5.1 Polk setup from a relative who passed away. I think the speakers are about ten years old. I will be making a post here with pictures of the towers and center channel to seek help identifying what models they are. But my question today is does anyone know how to get replacement parts for Polk speakers? The surround speakers need at least one cover replaced because the plastic posts have broken off. Does Polk offer replacement parts, and if so how can I contact them to request replacement parts?

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #39557 of 45055 Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
Question for the Polkies: I just inherited a 5.1 Polk setup from a relative who passed away. I think the speakers are about ten years old. I will be making a post here with pictures of the towers and center channel to seek help identifying what models they are. But my question today is does anyone know how to get replacement parts for Polk speakers? The surround speakers need at least one cover replaced because the plastic posts have broken off. Does Polk offer replacement parts, and if so how can I contact them to request replacement parts?
They might.
Call 1-800-377-7655. It's customers services, warranty might be able to help. It's who has their spare parts.
post #39558 of 45055 Old 01-15-2015, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
new to this audiophile HT thing...
bought a pair of Polk Monitor 75T with the CSII center...got some banana plugs and 12 gauge wire from monoprice..
not a huge room, my couch is like 10 feet from the speakers/tv...
running a pioneer 824k 80-140/ch 400 watt total receiver

I've been hearing reviews about how 75t sounds so good in their HT..and then I hear reviews about how polk is complete trash and not audiophile quality..
then i hear how 75t sounds really clear and accurate..

I really don't care about those earthquaking bass, I find it extremely annoying...
what I want is something that's natural sounding and accurate to what you hear at a small venue concert,,...not something that's altered to "sound good"..
for a small room like this, does it make much of a difference..would it be that much better if I pay $1000 to upgrade to a pair of RTi A9 (I'm not sure there is enough power on my receiver to run those) or some other brand name speakers for a 2.1 system like mine...
post #39559 of 45055 Old 01-15-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatwork View Post
bought a pair of Polk Monitor 75T with the CSII center...
what I want is something that's natural sounding and accurate to what you hear at a small venue concert,,...not something that's altered to "sound good"..
for a small room like this, does it make much of a difference..would it be that much better if I pay $1000 to upgrade to a pair of RTi A9 (I'm not sure there is enough power on my receiver to run those) or some other brand name speakers for a 2.1 system like mine...
The RtiA9's are heads and shoulders above the M70's, but they are indeed very power hungry. The difference in clarity between the Rti series and the Monitor series is amazing and immediately apparent, but there is a definite cost involved. Listen to your M70's for a while. If they leave you wanting more, consider moving up.... either to Rti's or to another brand. I came to Polk from Acoustic Research and found the Monitors to be lacking, and eventually moved up to Rti's, and am now satisfied. It really all comes down to what you are accustomed to hearing. In my case, my old A/R's went to a professional musician, who could afford to have them re-coned. At my age, it was not worth the effort. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Denon AVR-x3400H, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, RtiA1 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, AVR-S930H
post #39560 of 45055 Old 01-15-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Calling all Polkies.. LOL
T.Tyson likes this.
post #39561 of 45055 Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Calling all Polkies.. LOL
Answering the call!

Geoff4RFC likes this.
post #39562 of 45055 Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, good to see you again Geoff! I've missed you. The new group on G+ is too complicated for me, so I just turned off notifications and essentially dropped out. But if you didn't see it, I did pick up a third RtiA9 during the F&F sale last month to use as a center, to replace the CsiA6. Haven't hooked it up yet... may just keep it boxed til we move.

Speaking of moving, how the heck have you been? Last I heard you had downsized, but I understood that was to be temporary.

Keep in touch!

Hey Mr Rob Lee, miss you too over at G+, sorry we don't see more of you over there!!

Very nice move on the middle A9, that's exactly what I plan to do as well. Right now my 2nd pair are in the rear however, eventually, I'll have them back as wides, then one for the middle, that would make 5 A9's for a front stage Oh yeah.

Thanks for recognizing me brother, I'll check back in from time to time! Meanwhile, be careful where you step around here, there's so much B.S. that you might trip and fall in it

Set up:
post #39563 of 45055 Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatwork View Post
bought a pair of Polk Monitor 75T with the CSII center...got some banana plugs and 12 gauge wire from monoprice..
not a huge room, my couch is like 10 feet from the speakers/tv...
running a pioneer 824k 80-140/ch 400 watt total receiver

I've been hearing reviews about how 75t sounds so good in their HT..and then I hear reviews about how polk is complete trash and not audiophile quality..
then i hear how 75t sounds really clear and accurate..

I really don't care about those earthquaking bass, I find it extremely annoying...
An rti-a9 is a large speaker in size and weight. The 75t is like half the size. the monitor line is entry level. they are still nice and out class all of the HTIB stuff I ever owned.
post #39564 of 45055 Old 01-18-2015, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I have a power related question for you guys. My current AVR is rated at 90 watts/channel. My theater as a whole sounds great but I'm one of those people who can't help themselves from thinking "man just think of what it would sound like with more wattage." Listening to stereo music with my RTi8's and SVS's is really awesome. How much more SQ would I get by upgrading my AVR to something with 120+ watts/channel? Would it be negligible? or would it take something like 200 watts to really make it worth it?

Vizio M75
Denon AVR-X4300, Adcom GFA 5006
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PB13 Ultra x 2 (Rosenut).
PC-Ultra(TV12), PC12+
post #39565 of 45055 Old 01-18-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I have a power related question for you guys. My current AVR is rated at 90 watts/channel. My theater as a whole sounds great but I'm one of those people who can't help themselves from thinking "man just think of what it would sound like with more wattage." Listening to stereo music with my RTi8's and SVS's is really awesome. How much more SQ would I get by upgrading my AVR to something with 120+ watts/channel? Would it be negligible? or would it take something like 200 watts to really make it worth it?
you won't get better sq unless you are hearing distortion at your listening volume. the amp will let you listen louder with out distortion
post #39566 of 45055 Old 01-18-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

Fisch makes a very accurate point, that being said, get power, as much as you can. An amplifier will give you head room, and in my house, there's no such thing as "max" headroom when you want to crank it, the power stores are there to give you distortion free jammin'

An inexpensive way in would be to snag an Emotiva XPA-2 for stereo, you won't regret it.

Set up:
post #39567 of 45055 Old 01-18-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Fisch makes a very accurate point, that being said, get power, as much as you can. An amplifier will give you head room, and in my house, there's no such thing as "max" headroom when you want to crank it, the power stores are there to give you distortion free jammin'

An inexpensive way in would be to snag an Emotiva XPA-2 for stereo, you won't regret it.
In fairness I don't see much difference with my system using 150 watt avr and three emotiva xpa 100's. But then Geoff turns his music up so loud I can hear it at my house
Aarghon likes this.
post #39568 of 45055 Old 01-18-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Going from 90wpc to 120wpc won't do much for you, but jumping up to 200 or 300 wpc will definitely be noticeable, even if you only listen at moderate volume levels. As Geoff says, it's about the added headroom.

post #39569 of 45055 Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
In fairness I don't see much difference with my system using 150 watt avr and three emotiva xpa 100's. But then Geoff turns his music up so loud I can hear it at my house

Quote:
Going from 90wpc to 120wpc won't do much for you, but jumping up to 200 or 300 wpc will definitely be noticeable, even if you only listen at moderate volume levels. As Geoff says, it's about the added headroom.
Agreed! My AVR was able to put out 135w per 2ch and Audyssey set the mains right around +2 either side. A 300w amp had Audyssey bring them back to -4 and -3. I set my amplifier to mono block mode (860w + per side) and Audyssey set the mains at -8 and -9. More power = more headroom. My head will explode before my distortion free tanks (A9's) will

Set up:
post #39570 of 45055 Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I should probably throw out here - just to keep things "real" - that pumping 300 watts into Rti8's is pretty much overkill. Even 200 watts is more than those speakers really need. If you can't get enough "oomph" then what you really need is larger speakers. The case for higher powered amps is really needed for speakers with multiple driver arrays... four drivers on a 90 watt amp will sap it dry, as will six drivers on a 120wpc amp. The three drivers in the 8's is probably about right. Moving up to 120 watts will likely give you more headroom, but the greatest difference would be realized moving from an AVR to a dedicated amp, as the power supplies on stand alone amps are much beefier than those on AVR's. But again, you can only drive the Rti8's (or the equivalent RtiA5's) only so far. If the OP intends to eventually move up to larger speakers, then by all means get a big amp. If you intend to stay with the Rti8's, then maybe opt for a more powerful amp if you already want to upgrade your AVR for other reasons, such as connectivity features, or maybe just age. Again, just keeping things real.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , polk audio lsim , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page