Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1472 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1891Likes

post #44131 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
@chi_guy50 @usc1995

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it as I am in unfamiliar territory with the whole ATMOS setup. I am a HT enthusiast but I have never gotten in so deep as to look at actual angles, height, etc. I've always had a 5.1 system which is pretty easy to set up for the most part. The place I'm renting right now does not have an ideal room for this. I am basically re-purposing the living room for this which has a slanted/valuted ceiling and is open in 2 places on the right side of the room. The ceiling starts at about 8' on the left and then gradually raises to 11' in the middle and then runs across the rest of the room to the right staying at 11'. I have attached photos. Let me know if you have any additional tips after seeing the layout of the room. I don't have a lot of space behind the MLP. I was thinking of mounting the left front height speaker where the fireplace wall meets the ceiling and then mounting the right one on the opposite wall at the same height, roughly 8' and angle them towards the MLP. The rears I was thinking about mounting on the back wall above the shutters again angled towards the MLP. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am thinking about using OWM3's or TL3 satellites. Not sure if there is an advantage to one over the other. The OWM3's have a larger driver and are about half the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	2337048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	838.7 KB
ID:	2337050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	975.6 KB
ID:	2337052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_584.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	2337062  

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
Running 5.2.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subs, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"

Last edited by Howard Shure; 12-29-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44132 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Shure View Post
@chi_guy50 @usc1995

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it as I am in unfamiliar territory with the whole ATMOS setup. I am a HT enthusiast but I have never gotten in so deep as to look at actual angles, height, etc. I've always had a 5.1 system which is pretty easy to set up for the most part. The place I'm renting right now does not have an ideal room for this. I am basically re-purposing the living room for this which has a slanted/valuted ceiling and is open in 2 places on the right side of the room. The ceiling starts at about 8' on the left and then gradually raises to 11' in the middle and then runs across the rest of the room to the right staying at 11'. I have attached photos. Let me know if you have any additional tips after seeing the layout of the room. I don't have a lot of space behind the MLP. I was thinking of mounting the left front height speaker where the fireplace wall meets the ceiling and then mounting the right one on the opposite wall at the same height, roughly 8' and angle them towards the MLP. The rears I was thinking about mounting on the back wall above the shutters again angled towards the MLP. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am thinking about using OWM3's or TL3 satellites. Not sure if there is an advantage to one over the other. The OWM3's have a larger driver and are about half the price.
Nice looking room! If you are able I would push the couch forward a few feet to get a little more separation from the back wall. The easiest way to know where to put the Atmos speakers is to measure the distance from your ears in the MLP to the ceiling and then take that distance in front and behind you and place the speakers directly above where the wall meets the ceiling. If the ceiling starts at 8' it should be 4' to 4.5' in front and behind your ears seated. The rear height speakers may need to be placed on the rear wall which while not ideal will still work just fine. See the red arrows in the pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hs pic.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2337096  
Howard Shure likes this.
post #44133 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Here are a couple of shots of how I had my room before I upgraded to in ceiling speakers. Similar positions to where they should go in your room and they sounded good enough to get me hooked and convinced me to go all in with the ceiling speakers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4063.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2337104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4062.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2337106  
Howard Shure likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44134 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Nice looking room! If you are able I would push the couch forward a few feet to get a little more separation from the back wall. The easiest way to know where to put the Atmos speakers is to measure the distance from your ears in the MLP to the ceiling and then take that distance in front and behind you and place the speakers directly above where the wall meets the ceiling. If the ceiling starts at 8' it should be 4' to 4.5' in front and behind your ears seated. The rear height speakers may need to be placed on the rear wall which while not ideal will still work just fine. See the red arrows in the pic attached.
Thanks! I wish I could push the couch forward but the wife has her limits So I won't be able to get a full 4-4.5' behind the MLP. Where you put the arrows is pretty much where I planned to place them. Makes me feel like I might have a clue now! Any opinion on the OWM3 vs. TL3 for the atmos speakers?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
Running 5.2.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subs, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
post #44135 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
Here are a couple of shots of how I had my room before I upgraded to in ceiling speakers. Similar positions to where they should go in your room and they sounded good enough to get me hooked and convinced me to go all in with the ceiling speakers.
I see what you mean. Nice room. I wish I had a dedicated space and the ability for in ceiling speakers!

post #44136 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! I wish I could push the couch forward but the wife has her limits So I won't be able to get a full 4-4.5' behind the MLP. Where you put the arrows is pretty much where I planned to place them. Makes me feel like I might have a clue now! Any opinion on the OWM3 vs. TL3 for the atmos speakers?

Since you running the LSi’s I would go with the TL3 since they will be a better match with both using a ring radiator tweeter. The OWM3 uses a fabric dome tweeter. Your room correction software would probably do a fine job blending either but you may as well match them as best as you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #44137 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
You might consider just one pair of overhead speakers with the sofa on the wall. As for OWM3 vs TL3, I went TL3 as they have the same tweeters as the LSiM speakers.
post #44138 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 PM

@usc1995 @Lawn Dart

Looks like the consensus is TL3 so I'll go with that.

I've thought about going with 5.1.2 but from everything I've read, I would get more out of having 5.1.4 even if the rear ATMOS didn't have perfect placement. I actually have about 2ft from the back wall to the sofa. If mounting them high (8ft up and 2ft back) on that back wall and pointing them towards the MLP would negatively impact my sound then I would definitely reconsider, otherwise I would rather have imperfect rear ATMOS as opposed to nothing at all back there. Let me know if that is not the right way to look at it. In the photos below I drew in the placement for the 4 ATMOS speakers. Forgive my freehand drawing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InkedInkedIMG_584_LI.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2337164   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_0583_LI.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	845.5 KB
ID:	2337166  

post #44139 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
@usc1995 @Lawn Dart

Looks like the consensus is TL3 so I'll go with that.

I've thought about going with 5.1.2 but from everything I've read, I would get more out of having 5.1.4 even if the rear ATMOS didn't have perfect placement. I actually have about 2ft from the back wall to the sofa. If mounting them high (8ft up and 2ft back) on that back wall and pointing them towards the MLP would negatively impact my sound then I would definitely reconsider, otherwise I would rather have imperfect rear ATMOS as opposed to nothing at all back there. Let me know if that is not the right way to look at it. In the photos below I drew in the placement for the 4 ATMOS speakers. Forgive my freehand drawing
It's worth a try. If you have audyssey or similar, it will help make sure placement is properly working. You might need to adjust some levels but half the fun with setting things up is experimenting. If the rear overhead is not ideal, then a quick adjustment to 5.1.2 is easy. Good luck!
Howard Shure likes this.
post #44140 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart View Post
It's worth a try. If you have audyssey or similar, it will help make sure placement is properly working. You might need to adjust some levels but half the fun with setting things up is experimenting. If the rear overhead is not ideal, then a quick adjustment to 5.1.2 is easy. Good luck!
Very true... thanks! I appreciate the advice. I'll follow up after I have this installed. Off to order some speakers.

Have a safe and happy New Year everyone!

post #44141 of 45485 Old 12-29-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Very true... thanks! I appreciate the advice. I'll follow up after I have this installed. Off to order some speakers.

Have a safe and happy New Year everyone!
Look on Ebay for Polk Audio's store. They had the blackstone TL3's for half price a few days ago.

EDIT, just looked myself and see they no longer have any. At least today.

Last edited by Lawn Dart; 12-29-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #44142 of 45485 Old 01-01-2018, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center Channel Recommendations Please!

I recently went from no external speakers to a full blown 7.1.4 system, so I should be happy, right? Obviously, it is way better than before, and maybe I've just been bitten by the upgrade bug, but the center channel seems a little underwhelming (see details in signature). Dialog is often a little muddled and difficult to hear, even after Audacity and manual level adjustments. I realize now that the CS2 was probably a better match for my Monitor 70s, but it's discontinued and getting hard to find.

I'm planning to add an external amp for LCR anyway, but if that doesn't do the trick, what center speaker would you recommend? CSi A6 seems like the natural choice, although I may upgrade the towers at some point in the future, so going up a level might make sense too. I have a minimalist aesthetic, so the Signature A35 is very appealing. I know, it's not matched to the Monitor 70s, but hey, another excuse to upgrade more components, right!

The room is 15'x27', with the display on the narrow wall. The listening position is about 14' from the display.

A: Polk Monitor 70 Series II (L/R), CS1 ii (center), RC65i (surrounds), OWM3 (rear), PSW110 (sub), IC60 (Atmos); Denon x4300h, Crown DCi 8|300N
V: LG OLED65B7P, Samsung UBD-M8500
post #44143 of 45485 Old 01-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMose View Post
I recently went from no external speakers to a full blown 7.1.4 system, so I should be happy, right? Obviously, it is way better than before, and maybe I've just been bitten by the upgrade bug, but the center channel seems a little underwhelming (see details in signature). Dialog is often a little muddled and difficult to hear, even after Audacity and manual level adjustments. I realize now that the CS2 was probably a better match for my Monitor 70s, but it's discontinued and getting hard to find.

I'm planning to add an external amp for LCR anyway, but if that doesn't do the trick, what center speaker would you recommend? CSi A6 seems like the natural choice, although I may upgrade the towers at some point in the future, so going up a level might make sense too. I have a minimalist aesthetic, so the Signature A35 is very appealing. I know, it's not matched to the Monitor 70s, but hey, another excuse to upgrade more components, right!

The room is 15'x27', with the display on the narrow wall. The listening position is about 14' from the display.
The LCR are the more prominent speakers, especially the center for dialog. I'd get the best I could afford. An external amp is always a good option, too.

HT Configuration: 7.3.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Polk LSiM 707s, 706c, FXi-30 l Infinity ERS-610 l SVS PB-2000 Subs (2x) l Monolith 7 l Behringer A500 (2x) l Oppo UDP-203 l MH mmf-9.3 l Cassette Deck.
"Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Last edited by Methodical_1; 01-01-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #44144 of 45485 Old 01-01-2018, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
The LCR are the more prominent speakers, especially the center for dialog. I'd get the best I could afford. An external amp is always a good option, too.
What reciever are you using? I had 4 different Yamaha recievers and I always felt the dialogue was muddled. I upgraded speakers to the signature series after having the t15s and cs100 and yes it was a huge upgrade but still not clear like I expected. I switched to a Sony reciever and a night and day difference

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #44145 of 45485 Old 01-01-2018, 08:28 PM
EdQ

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I wouldn't go with the S35 unless you need a low profile center. I run the CSi5 and it can fill my room with no problem. (25x25 with vaulted ceilings). So the CSi A6 should work pretty well in your room.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Heights | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | (2) AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #44146 of 45485 Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
Quote:

I don't want to dissuade you from upgrading your center channel speaker (obviously, the CSi5/CSiA6 would offer significantly improved performance), but there are other considerations that will impact on dialogue intelligibility as well, such as:

1) Is the center channel speaker at ear level or, if not, is it aimed at the listener's ears?

2) Have you run the Audyssey calibration properly using all eight mic positions in a tight radius around the MLP?

3) Are you using a Dynamic EQ "Reference Offset" setting of at least 10db?

4) Have you tried setting Dynamic Volume at Medium?

Check out some of the troubleshooting tips for your model-year AVR here and here.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

Last edited by chi_guy50; 01-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #44147 of 45485 Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post

1) Is the center channel speaker at ear level or, if not, is it aimed at the listener's ears?

2) Have you run the Audyssey calibration properly using all eight mic positions in a tight radius around the MLP?

3) Are you using a Dynamic EQ "Reference Offset" setting of at least 10db?

3) Have you tried setting Dynamic Volume at Medium?

1) No, and no. The display is centered at eye level, and the center channel is below the display pointed straight forward. I tried flipping it over to aim it up, but it just looks too goofy!

2) Yes

3/4) No. For some reason, I have been hung up on keeping the levels the way the studio intended. But, that's pretty silly if I'm not enjoying it. And, after reading a little more about reference offset, it seems like TV shows may actually be mixed 10 db below film reference anyway. So, I may need to switch back and forth depending on what I'm watching. I'll try these settings for a while and see how they work.
post #44148 of 45485 Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1) No, and no. The display is centered at eye level, and the center channel is below the display pointed straight forward. I tried flipping it over to aim it up, but it just looks too goofy!
That should be an easy factor to mitigate as long as you have the vertical space on your shelf. Simply put some padding or risers or extra feet under the front of the speaker to tilt it up sufficiently that it is aimed at the listeners' ears. That is exactly what I have done and the effect is visually imperceptible.

Quote:
2) Yes
And did you remember to use a boom mic stand or the included "rocketship" stand, keeping the mic pointed directly upward and in line of sight of each speaker?

Quote:
3/4) No. For some reason, I have been hung up on keeping the levels the way the studio intended. But, that's pretty silly if I'm not enjoying it. And, after reading a little more about reference offset, it seems like TV shows may actually be mixed 10 db below film reference anyway. So, I may need to switch back and forth depending on what I'm watching. I'll try these settings for a while and see how they work.
RLO can be saved for each individual input such that you can customize it to your liking. (The only drawback is that you have to reset it for each input following a new Audyssey calibration.)

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

Last edited by chi_guy50; 01-02-2018 at 01:01 PM.
post #44149 of 45485 Old 01-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I just bought the ELAC A4 dolby atmos add on speakers to put on top of my polk monitor 60s to complete me 5.1.2 setup. Hope these work well. Still wish polk would have came out with a dolby atmos speaker similar but oh well. My only choice is the add ones on top of my 60s
post #44150 of 45485 Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Finally got the speakers and a friend to help me put them up. I'm officially running 5.1.4 and while it sounds good, I think maybe I had unrealistic expectations of how much difference they would make. Based on a lot of posts I've read, albeit most were using in ceiling/on ceiling speakers, I was expecting a night and day difference. I realize that my setup is not a standard atmos setup since I couldn't get speakers in or on the ceiling, but I thought it would sound better. Dolby Atmos demos, I think its called Amaze and the other is the folding triangle blocks, sound really good but I'm not noticing much of a difference in movies. I'm using the Dolby Surround DSP for all movies that do not have an Atmos track as I've noticed that a lot of Netflix discs don't seem to have Atmos for some reason. Does anyone have any movie suggestions with good test scenes for Atmos so I can get excited about this again? Here are some photos of my room (wires have not been hidden yet). Using Polk TL3's for the 4 Atmos speakers at about 8.5' high, pointed toward the MLP (for the most part) and set as "Overhead" in the Yamaha layout. There is about 2' between the MLP and rear wall. Used YPAO to do initial set up and then made sure all speakers were set to small and crossed over at 80hz except atmos which is crossed at 100hz.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	823.5 KB
ID:	2341550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	954.3 KB
ID:	2341552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	643.7 KB
ID:	2341554  

post #44151 of 45485 Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM
EdQ

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Finally got the speakers and a friend to help me put them up. I'm officially running 5.1.4 and while it sounds good, I think maybe I had unrealistic expectations of how much difference they would make. Based on a lot of posts I've read, albeit most were using in ceiling/on ceiling speakers, I was expecting a night and day difference. I realize that my setup is not a standard atmos setup since I couldn't get speakers in or on the ceiling, but I thought it would sound better. Dolby Atmos demos, I think its called Amaze and the other is the folding triangle blocks, sound really good but I'm not noticing much of a difference in movies. I'm using the Dolby Surround DSP for all movies that do not have an Atmos track as I've noticed that a lot of Netflix discs don't seem to have Atmos for some reason. Does anyone have any movie suggestions with good test scenes for Atmos so I can get excited about this again? Here are some photos of my room (wires have not been hidden yet). Using Polk TL3's for the 4 Atmos speakers at about 8.5' high, pointed toward the MLP (for the most part) and set as "Overhead" in the Yamaha layout. There is about 2' between the MLP and rear wall. Used YPAO to do initial set up and then made sure all speakers were set to small and crossed over at 80hz except atmos which is crossed at 100hz.
I would try moving your bed channels near ear level. And your Atmos speakers to height in the AVR

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Heights | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | (2) AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #44152 of 45485 Old 01-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Can someone recommend stands for the LSiM 703 bookshelves? I'm guessing 24 or 26" would put the tweeters at ear height once seated. I need them to be able to be mass loaded and sturdy as I have a young one running around. Budget is about $250.
post #44153 of 45485 Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using the Dolby Surround DSP for all movies that do not have an Atmos track as I've noticed that a lot of Netflix discs don't seem to have Atmos for some reason. Does anyone have any movie suggestions with good test scenes for Atmos so I can get excited about this again?
Some of the movie distributors (notably Lionsgate) supply Netflix with a crippled rental version of the retail Blu-ray disc that lacks the immersive audio track and often omits any extra features. Unfortunately, the Netflix website does not provide reliable audio data for their disc inventory so that you can never be sure which audio codec you will be getting. For this reason, I supplement my Netflix disc-by-mail sub with a sub from 3D-BlurayRental.com; the latter provides only the unexpurgated, full retail version of every disc they stock, whether blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray or video game. You can take out a monthly subscription or rent discs from them ad hoc for as little as $4.00 a pop.

As far as Atmos movies that have a demo-worthy sound track, I could cite Enchanted Kingdom 3D (aka Nature), Gravity, (Diamond Luxe Edition only), Everest, Lucy (4K only), Sicario, Deadpool (4K only), or Mad Max: Fury Road, to name just a handful (in order of my personal preference). 3D-BlurayRental has all of those titles in their inventory.

post #44154 of 45485 Old 01-06-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdQ View Post
I would try moving your bed channels near ear level. And your Atmos speakers to height in the AVR

Still learning all the terminology but I’m assuming bed channels are my main channels? So I’m assuming you are referring to my surround speakers and moving them lower. Is that to create more separation between the surround and atmos speakers? Also, can you help me understand the reason for changing the setting to height. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Howard Shure; 01-06-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #44155 of 45485 Old 01-06-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Some of the movie distributors (notably Lionsgate) supply Netflix with a crippled rental version of the retail Blu-ray disc that lacks the immersive audio track and often omits any extra features. Unfortunately, the Netflix website does not provide reliable audio data for their disc inventory so that you can never be sure which audio codec you will be getting. For this reason, I supplement my Netflix disc-by-mail sub with a sub from 3D-BlurayRental.com; the latter provides only the unexpurgated, full retail version of every disc they stock, whether blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray or video game. You can take out a monthly subscription or rent discs from them ad hoc for as little as $4.00 a pop.

As far as Atmos movies that have a demo-worthy sound track, I could cite Enchanted Kingdom 3D (aka Nature), Gravity, (Diamond Luxe Edition only), Everest, Lucy (4K only), Sicario, Deadpool (4K only), or Mad Max: Fury Road, to name just a handful (in order of my personal preference). 3D-BlurayRental has all of those titles in their inventory.
Thanks for the great info. I have some of those movies but I’ll have to check and see if they have the proper audio track. I’m also going to look into 3D-Blurayrental.com
post #44156 of 45485 Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdQ View Post

One other question, do I need to rerun YPAO after changing the setting from overhead to height?
post #44157 of 45485 Old 01-07-2018, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
One other question, do I need to rerun YPAO after changing the setting from overhead to height?
Yeah you should, every time you add new speakers, move speakers or furniture or change speaker designations, run YPAO.

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
post #44158 of 45485 Old 01-07-2018, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Thanks for the great info. I have some of those movies but I’ll have to check and see if they have the proper audio track. I’m also going to look into 3D-Blurayrental.com
You should also have a look at Unbroken, 13 Hours, In the heart of the Sea, Hackshaw Ridge, Pacific Rim (4k), Fantastic Beasts (4k) and The Great Wall (4K), they are all good Atmos demos

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
post #44159 of 45485 Old 01-07-2018, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
Can someone recommend stands for the LSiM 703 bookshelves? I'm guessing 24 or 26" would put the tweeters at ear height once seated. I need them to be able to be mass loaded and sturdy as I have a young one running around. Budget is about $250.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_1_w
post #44160 of 45485 Old 01-07-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
You should also have a look at Unbroken, 13 Hours, In the heart of the Sea, Hackshaw Ridge, Pacific Rim (4k), Fantastic Beasts (4k) and The Great Wall (4K), they are all good Atmos demos
Thanks. I’m going to redo YPAO and check out some of those movies today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , polk audio lsim , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page