Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1502 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1741Likes

post #45031 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Thanks guys. I think I'll try the mains at 80hz and the sub at 120hz. Seems to be a mini consensus, but I realize each room may need different settings. I've been spending so much time on my network and movies, so this has been fun playing with the sound side again.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45032 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Edge View Post
Happy Saturday, gents!

I've got the itch to upgrade my surrounds now that my front stage (707s + 706) has been upgraded.

Currently, I've got two pairs of Monitor 40 IIs as rear and side surrounds. Looking at some FXiA4s since I can get them on the cheap. I've heard differing opinions about using dipole/bipole within an Atmos setup (as you can see in this pic, I've got .4 overhead)

I've also read, however, that using dipole/bipole with Atmos is okay if they would replace direct firing speakers that are super close to the listener. In my case, since the couch is backed up to the wall (also shown in this pic), the rear surrounds are right on top of the listener.

Thoughts on replacing the rear 40 IIs with the FXiA4s? Also, I might replace the sides with RTiA4s.

Last but not least, should I get an acoustic panel of sorts for the wall that the couch is on? There's a lot of audio coming at that wall that I'm sure is bouncing everywhere.
Happy Saturday back!!! Congratulations on your LSiM's.

I'm no help for your atmos set up although I've heard direct radiating speakers are the way to go.....of course in H.T. nothing is really set in stone, you set up how you like.

When you refer to the RTiA4, do you mean the 1 or the 3? I have a pair of RTiA3's that I'm fixin to use as Heights. I've owned the Monitor series II long ago including the M40 which is a great little speaker. The RTiA's will sound better for sure.

You may like the FXiA4's as I own two pairs of FXiA6's and recently retired them and replaced them with a pair of 702's for surround and moved my RTiA9's to Rear as my front stage is the same as yours.

The Bipole setting on the FX's really create a bullets whizzing around your head scenario. I've always loved the double tweeter effect in those speakers.

Acoustic panels are always a good idea. I would recommend experimenting with placement to find the proper control of your room.

Have fun and turn it up

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A W/M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #45033 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll try the mains at 80hz and the sub at 120hz. Seems to be a mini consensus, but I realize each room may need different settings. I've been spending so much time on my network and movies, so this has been fun playing with the sound side again.
Dig! Hey Mike, with the prices getting so very very low with Polk speakers, have you, (shush, not so loud), considered going with the RTiA9 by chance???

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A W/M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45034 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Congratulations on your LSiM's.
Thanks. Loved the 707s / 706 in the basement so much that I got 705s and 704 for the livingroom.

Quote:

I'm no help for your atmos set up although I've heard direct radiating speakers are the way to go.....
Same... but it seems wherever I hear that, I also hear that the exception to the rule is if the direct radiating speakers are less than four feet from the user's listening position. Since the couch is literally backed up to my rear surrounds -- don't have a choice -- it seems like I'm the exception to the rule. As far as testing what I like, I don't have a way to test it outside of purchasing... but then again, at $100 (I hope), I don't stand to lose much. I can always sell 'em.

Quote:
When you refer to the RTiA4, do you mean the 1 or the 3?
I got carried away with the "a" -- they are RTi4s. I've seen two people in the area that have a pair for ~$100.

Quote:
You may like the FXiA4's as I own two pairs of FXiA6's and recently retired them and replaced them with a pair of 702's for surround and moved my RTiA9's to Rear as my front stage is the same as yours.

The Bipole setting on the FX's really create a bullets whizzing around your head scenario. I've always loved the double tweeter effect in those speakers.
I saw the 702s could be had for ~$500, but I've already sunk so much into my front stage and the 702s are massive. I already have a hard time keeping the 40s on the stands as it is. Having two young kids doesn't help matters. You definitely grabbed my attention with your "whizzing" description. Based on that alone, I almost wanna jump.

Quote:
Acoustic panels are always a good idea. I would recommend experimenting with placement to find the proper control of your room.
I'll start with ones for behind the couch. If nothing else, it looks stupid with that big ass bare wall.

Quote:
Have fun and turn it up
Is there any other way? LOL. Thanks for the feedback.
Geoff4RFC likes this.
post #45035 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dig! Hey Mike, with the prices getting so very very low with Polk speakers, have you, (shush, not so loud), considered going with the RTiA9 by chance???
That's a hard no I'm afraid...and for the same reasons I went with the RTI8's (older RTiA5's) in the first place.
First, I felt, and still do, that the mid and top end of the 8's sound almost identical (I would actually say a small bit better than the 9's...ok, ok, put away your fire and pitchforks LOL). What they lack is the (3) 7-inch bass drivers, and that can be fixed with the addition of one very nice sub, or a pretty good sub to go along with my other pretty good sub. Last, I don't need additional amplification to make the 8's sing purdy, so basically it's one of the few areas of my system (that and the Marantz) that I'm perfectly happy with and don't feel the urge to upgrade. Now, don't get me started on NAS's or networking or streaming boxes to get my movies/music to where I want them to go. That's seems to be a never ending upgrade process, but at least I'm turning the corner on that one too.
Geoff4RFC likes this.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #45036 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Happy Saturday, gents!

I've got the itch to upgrade my surrounds now that my front stage (707s + 706) has been upgraded.

Currently, I've got two pairs of Monitor 40 IIs as rear and side surrounds. Looking at some FXiA4s since I can get them on the cheap. I've heard differing opinions about using dipole/bipole within an Atmos setup (as you can see in this pic, I've got .4 overhead)

I've also read, however, that using dipole/bipole with Atmos is okay if they would replace direct firing speakers that are super close to the listener. In my case, since the couch is backed up to the wall (also shown in this pic), the rear surrounds are right on top of the listener.

Thoughts on replacing the rear 40 IIs with the FXiA4s? Also, I might replace the sides with RTiA4s.

Last but not least, should I get an acoustic panel of sorts for the wall that the couch is on? There's a lot of audio coming at that wall that I'm sure is bouncing everywhere.

You might want to play with the placement of the surrounds first since you already have them and it won’t cost you anything. I would try moving your side surrounds slightly in front of you at 75 degrees or so and then pushing the rear surrounds to the corners. It is really hard to hear sounds directly behind us anyway so I doubt you would be able to perceive anything missing especially since you are so close to the speakers. I am a big fan of the FXi speakers running the FXi6s myself and I am still tempted to push them forward as I perceive a bigger hole between the LCRs and the sides than I do the sides and the rears. Trying this for me will be tougher since my speaker wire is ran in my walls. Try it and see if you don’t get some more separation and clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #45037 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
That's a hard no I'm afraid...and for the same reasons I went with the RTI8's (older RTiA5's) in the first place.
First, I felt, and still do, that the mid and top end of the 8's sound almost identical (I would actually say a small bit better than the 9's...ok, ok, put away your fire and pitchforks LOL). What they lack is the (3) 7-inch bass drivers, and that can be fixed with the addition of one very nice sub, or a pretty good sub to go along with my other pretty good sub. Last, I don't need additional amplification to make the 8's sing purdy, so basically it's one of the few areas of my system (that and the Marantz) that I'm perfectly happy with and don't feel the urge to upgrade. Now, don't get me started on NAS's or networking or streaming boxes to get my movies/music to where I want them to go. That's seems to be a never ending upgrade process, but at least I'm turning the corner on that one too.
My pitchfork is ON fire!!!!! Lol, okay, point well made. I and know you have been "really really" enjoying your set up over the years regarding 2ch especially. Respect......but, one day, I would really love to catch a glimpse of your reaction after a sit down to some CD's spun on my A9's.

Set up:
post #45038 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
You might want to play with the placement of the surrounds first since you already have them and it won’t cost you anything. I would try moving your side surrounds slightly in front of you at 75 degrees or so and then pushing the rear surrounds to the corners. It is really hard to hear sounds directly behind us anyway so I doubt you would be able to perceive anything missing especially since you are so close to the speakers.
It might be a bit too late. I already have the FXiA4s (rears) and RTi4s (sides) in place. I did, however, move the sides further out. I realized I have them waaaay too close to the couch. I think part of that was because I used to have an upright arcade cabinet on one side... so I didn't have much room. And by 75 degrees, I assume, for example, that when dealing with the right speaker, 0 degrees would be straight ahead and 90 degrees would be straight to my right where it is now, correct?

Quote:
I am a big fan of the FXi speakers running the FXi6s myself and I am still tempted to push them forward as I perceive a bigger hole between the LCRs and the sides than I do the sides and the rears. Trying this for me will be tougher since my speaker wire is ran in my walls. Try it and see if you don’t get some more separation and clarity.
I'll try to give this a whirl within the next week or so. I have two acoustic panels (24x48x2) that I'll be installing above the couch later this week. Then I'll re-calibrate everything. BTW, do you run your FXi6s in bipole or dipole? What's the nutshell version as to what is better / why / and how does this impact placement? For what it's worth, I have a 7.2.4 config.

Last edited by U2Edge; 08-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #45039 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2219 Post(s)
Liked: 2263
Quote:
It might be a bit too late. I already have the FXiA4s (rears) and RTi4s (sides) in place. I did, however, move the sides further out. I realized I have them waaaay too close to the couch. I think part of that was because I used to have an upright arcade cabinet on one side... so I didn't have much room. And by 75 degrees, I assume, for example, that when dealing with the right speaker, 0 degrees would be straight ahead and 90 degrees would be straight to my right where it is now, correct?

I'll try to give this a whirl within the next week or so. I have two acoustic panels (24x48x2) that I'll be installing above the couch later this week. Then I'll re-calibrate everything. BTW, do you run your FXi6s in bipole or dipole? What's the nutshell version as to what is better / why / and how does this impact placement? For what it's worth, I have a 7.2.4 config.

FWIW, dipole mode is a Bozo no-no according to the Dolby Atmos guidelines.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #45040 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Definitely bipole in an Atmos setup! I also have a 7.2.4 setup and the FXis are great. I was just trying to save you a few bucks but you can setup your new speakers where I suggested and see if you like it. Yes, 90 degrees would be where you have them now with the LCRs at 0. By the way, I am a HUGE U2 fan and have seen them 15 times over the years. Here is a shot of my room you might appreciate...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	2601600

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
U2Edge likes this.
post #45041 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
FWIW, dipole mode is a Bozo no-no according to the Dolby Atmos guidelines.
Yeah, I saw that in some of the forum searching (even on other forums), but I saw some people say to take it with a grain of salt and some actually preferred it. FWIW, the guy I bought them from had 'em in dipole. I flipped 'em to bipole before I set 'em on the stands.
post #45042 of 45098 Old 08-10-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Definitely bipole in an Atmos setup! I also have a 7.2.4 setup and the FXis are great. I was just trying to save you a few bucks but you can setup your new speakers where I suggested and see if you like it. Yes, 90 degrees would be where you have them now with the LCRs at 0.
Cool -- I should be good to go as I flipped it to bipole when I was setting them up. I moved the side surrounds out as far as the speaker wire would let me go. I'm pretty close to 70 degrees and as wide as the walls. Definitely feels like a wider sound stage and when listing to music it seemed as though it wasn't quite as muddy.

Quote:
By the way, I am a HUGE U2 fan and have seen them 15 times over the years. Here is a shot of my room you might appreciate...Attachment 2601600
Sweet! I think I'm pushing about 20 -- every Atlanta area show since 2001, a night in Chicago back in 2005 (you can see my wife and I on the Vertigo Chicago DVD -- in the first three songs -- both of us are between Edge and Bono wearing white t-shirts and we're really tall. I'm also holding up my U2EDGE license plate). Took my (then) 6-year-old daughter to see them in DC on the 30th anniversary JT tour. My favorite? 360 tour in Dublin (two nights) in 2009. I also got Bono and Edge to sign my license plate in Chicago on their IE tour.

I've attached a couple of pics. The one with the framed American flag is where Bono held up my flag onstage shortly after 9/11. A girl I didn't know snapped the pic. We still keep in touch almost 18 years later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-10 21.51.50.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2601640   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-10 21.51.59.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2601642  
post #45043 of 45098 Old 08-11-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that in some of the forum searching (even on other forums), but I saw some people say to take it with a grain of salt and some actually preferred it. FWIW, the guy I bought them from had 'em in dipole. I flipped 'em to bipole before I set 'em on the stands.

Of course, it is only a recommendation, but it reflects the direct advice of the manufacturer and speaks to the intent of the sound design. People do all kinds of things with their setups (as is their right), including arraying their surround speakers up front with their mains. They may like (or be willing to live with) the results, but they are in some ways defeating the very purpose of a surround (or in your case, an immersive) speaker configuration.

Here is a quote from the Dolby Atmos for the Home Theater white paper:

Many people currently have 5.1 or 7.1 systems with a subwoofer and either five or seven speakers positioned at about ear level. Many of these speakers will work without a problem in a Dolby Atmos system. An ideal listener-level setup will include monopole or bipole speaker designs. Dolby does not recommend the use of dipole speakers for use at the listener level; the highly diffuse sound patterns of dipole speakers interfere with the accurate positioning of sounds in the three-dimensional soundstage that is Dolby Atmos.

Similarly, it is important not to position listener-level speakers too high on the wall. At the listener level or 2 feet higher is optimal. Avoid placing your speakers close to the ceiling as this will also disrupt the accurate positioning of objects in the listening space. Installing listener-level speakers and overhead speakers in the ceiling of the room is equally a non-desirable solution for recreating the immersiveness and object movement of Dolby Atmos.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D; Oppo UDP-203; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Ultra; Denon AVR-X8500H (9.1.4/13.1); Polk Audio RTiA7 (Fl/r), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (Sl/r & FW), OWM5 (SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, RH); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Amazon Fire TV 4K, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #45044 of 45098 Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Installing listener-level speakers and overhead speakers in the ceiling of the room is equally a non-desirable solution for recreating the immersiveness and object movement of Dolby Atmos.
This was the first time I'd heard that one.

Isn't that what most people do? LCR at ear level + SL/SR at ear level + rear surrounds at ear level + overhead Atmos? Or am I mis-understanding what they are saying here...
post #45045 of 45098 Old 08-11-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This was the first time I'd heard that one.

Isn't that what most people do? LCR at ear level + SL/SR at ear level + rear surrounds at ear level + overhead Atmos? Or am I mis-understanding what they are saying here...

You are misunderstanding, but that is due to the unfortunately awkward, ambiguous wording of the text (particularly the preceding sentence in which "your speakers" is meant to refer back to the "listener-level speakers" cited earlier).

What Dolby is referring to in the sentence you quoted is the practice of installing BOTH surround AND overhead speakers in the ceiling. We have seen numerous posts in the Atmos for the Home Theater thread asking if it is okay to use an existing in-ceiling speaker system for immersive audio just by adding another pair or two. (Hint: It is not.)

One critical element of an immersive audio setup is achieving maximum separation between the listener-level (e.g., base 7.1) and overhead speakers (e.g., x.x.4), thus establishing at least two horizontal planes for sounds to travel in a bubble around the listener. Audio objects mixed to be situated or to travel above ear level can not achieve elevation if the sound can not be made to emanate (or seem to emanate in the case of the "bounce" (Dolby AES) speakers) from overhead as distinguished from the base-level sounds.

Here is some further guidance from Dolby regarding placement of the base ("listener-level" in immersive audio parlance) speakers:

As in the past, the placement of all listener-level speakers should follow these recommendations, which are based on ITU-R BS.775-3:

• The speakers located in the front of the room shall be used as a reference point. All speakers in the listener plane should ideally be equidistant from the listener position. If this is not possible, compensating for distance may be used to time align the arrival of audio from each speaker to the listener.

• All listener speakers should be at the same height, typically 3.9 feet (1.2 meters), which is ear level for the average seated listener (as defined in ITU-R BS.1116-1).

If possible, the height of the rear speakers should be the same as the height of the front speakers. If the room design makes this impractical, or impossible, the rear speakers may be higher than the front speakers. However, we suggest that the height of the rear speakers not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers.
U2Edge and vavan like this.

post #45046 of 45098 Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
You are misunderstanding, but that is due to the unfortunately awkward, ambiguous wording of the text (particularly the preceding sentence in which "your speakers" is meant to refer back to the "listener-level speakers" cited earlier).

Thank you for the detailed and helpful response. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #45047 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question RTIA5 amp required??

I am not sure whether to ask this in this forum or the receiver/amp category but my question is whether I require an amp to drive my polk setup? If so any suggestions on which amps to consider? I have never even considered adding an amp until now.

Denon AVR-X4300H
Front Polk RTIA5
Centre Polk CSIA6
Rear Polk RTIA3
Side Polk FXIA6
Subwoofer PB1000
post #45048 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadennis View Post
I am not sure whether to ask this in this forum or the receiver/amp category but my question is whether I require an amp to drive my polk setup? If so any suggestions on which amps to consider? I have never even considered adding an amp until now.

Denon AVR-X4300H
Front Polk RTIA5
Centre Polk CSIA6
Rear Polk RTIA3
Side Polk FXIA6
Subwoofer PB1000
Why do you ask? Is there a problem with the current setup? There are two reasons why you might want to add an amp, first to drive more speakers, e.g. add 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos, or if you want to significantly increase the sound pressure level when watching movies, etc. Since your receiver is rated at 125 watts/channel, it should provide all your existing polk speakers need at reasonable listening levels. To get a significant increase in power/sound output level you would likely need to spend more $ than your receiver cost. That money would likely be better spent upgrading your speakers.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.

Last edited by shs1234; 08-13-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #45049 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
Why do you ask? Is there a problem with the current setup? There are two reasons why you might want to add an amp, first to drive more speakers, e.g. add 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos, or if you want to significantly increase the sound pressure level when watching movies, etc. Since your receiver is rated at 125 watts/channel, it should provide all your existing polk speakers need at reasonable listening levels. To get a significant increase in power/sound output level you would likely need to spend more $ than your receiver cost. That money would likely be better spent upgrading your speakers.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I ask because I was looking at upgrading my subwoofer to a svs sb3000 & it was suggested that maybe I don't require a subwoofer at all. It was mentioned that my polks may provide more if I added an amp?
post #45050 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I ask because I was looking at upgrading my subwoofer to a svs sb3000 & it was suggested that maybe I don't require a subwoofer at all. It was mentioned that my polks may provide more if I added an amp?
The 3 dB point of your RTiA5 speakers is 40 Hz, and no matter how much power you throw at them, they will not go as low or as loud as your current SVS subwoofer and they would be pretty unhappy trying. If you need more bass, consider adding a 2nd PB1000. It will not only give you more bass, but that bass will be more evenly distributed around the room.
mr266 likes this.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #45051 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
The 3 dB point of your RTiA5 speakers is 40 Hz, and no matter how much power you throw at them, they will not go as low or as loud as your current SVS subwoofer and they would be pretty unhappy trying. If you need more bass, consider adding a 2nd PB1000. It will not only give you more bass, but that bass will be more evenly distributed around the room.
I agree 100 percent.

URC-WR7 Universal Remote
post #45052 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am finding the pb1000 to be a bit distorted & boomy during music. Movies are fine. Do you think dual pb1000 may help with this. INot sure what direction to go with this
post #45053 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I am finding the pb1000 to be a bit distorted & boomy during music. Movies are fine. Do you think dual pb1000 may help with this. INot sure what direction to go with this
Usually movies, especially action movies place more demand on the sub than music, unless you listen to a lot of fugues/organ music by Bach

It really sounds like you would benefit from some measurements of how your speakers, and particularly your sub are preforming in your room. Have you run or tried Audyssey Room Correction with your system?

I have found that besides the room correction software with the receiver, that the REW (free) software, plus a good mic that you will need to buy, can tell you exactly what is going on in your room and with your equipment. You can then decide wether to put more money into subwoofers or room treatment or equalization or all of the above. Or maybe just find a better location for the sub you have!

There is a whole thread on REW on this forum with lots of people to help you interpret your results. It takes some effort to learn, but it is well worth while if you want to spend money wisely and get the best possible results with your equipment.

Last edited by shs1234; 08-13-2019 at 12:02 PM.
post #45054 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 12:18 PM

Subwoofers are just like real estate, it is all about location, location, location. You can try other positions for you sub and see what sounds best, or you can put your sub at or your main listening chair, and then move around the room and find the place where the bass sounds the best. Then put your sub there.

post #45055 of 45098 Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
This sounds like it could be a placement issue or a room mode. If that's the case some times you can get the second sub to help even things our but usually you get number 2 because you don't have an even sound at multiple listening positions.
You might as on the svs sub about how to integrate the sub. maybe the gain on the avr or sub is up to high leading to distortion.
post #45056 of 45098 Old 08-21-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Hey guys, long time no see. Glad to see chi_guy and pretzelfisch still here, and Geoff is BACK IN ACTION (hoot hoot!).

So there's been a LOT of water over the dam in the last few years. The reason I'm here is that I just picked up a pair of LSiM702-F/X's by way of the F&F sale this week. Just dropped them off in the storage locker and hope to get them up and running this weekend. I will be using them as front/side surrounds (replacing a pair of RTiA3's there) and hopefully hanging a pair of Fxi4's on the back wall directly over the sofa.

The A3's match the LSiM703's (bought from Carlos a couple years ago) pretty well... remember that surrounds don't need to match the front soundstage. But I couldn't pass up the deal on the LsiFX's. Now to break them in (ugh). As for what's happened this past year, my Denon 4520 died. The amp section is probably okay, but nothing comes out but a low level static sound for any input. Figure it's a pre problem. That's a grand down the tubes. So I dragged the old 3312CI out of storage and used it for a few months, then the network functionality pooped out. Just as well. There was a noticeable difference in audio quality between the std Audyssey and the XT32, or whatever it's called. So now running a Denon 3400, which is adequate, but a bit buggy. Software issues, no updates. Will likely upgrade that someday as the years are going by faster and faster.

Still have a TON of equipment in the storage locker. Four RtiA9's, two each A7's and A5's, plus a set of FxiA6's and the A4's I hope to use as rears, or as overhead Atmos. Not sure yet. Plus two Emotiva amps, the 5x200 channel and the 2x300 channel. Plus full pairs of the original Rti12's, 10's, 8's, plus the 4's I'm using in the bedroom as surrounds to my Lsi9's. I'm not sure what my signature says right now, but I'm guessing I'll need to change it.

My wife and I are both in remission for about a year or two now. I'm still shaking off the chemo and am quite weak. The brain fog is a mofo. But looks like we won the battle. At this point, not sure WTH to do with all the gear in storage. Doubt I'll ever have the energy to do anything with it. Our downsized living arrangement is probably permanent, til death do us part. But life sure is good.
Geoff4RFC and mr266 like this.

Denon AVR-x3400H, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, 702f/x's, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, AVR-S930H
I once cried because I had no Atmos, until I met a man who had no stereo
post #45057 of 45098 Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
My wife and I are both in remission for about a year or two now. I'm still shaking off the chemo and am quite weak. The brain fog is a mofo. But looks like we won the battle. At this point, not sure WTH to do with all the gear in storage. Doubt I'll ever have the energy to do anything with it. Our downsized living arrangement is probably permanent, til death do us part. But life sure is good.
Welcome back! Good to hear that you are in a chipper mood. Life (such as it is) goes on seemingly with no regard to our personal travails. My wife and I have long since stopped buying green bananas (if you know what I mean), but until we shuffle off this mortal coil I will continue to obsess over my A/V goodies, which are performing better than ever since I put in the 13-channel X8500H a year and a half ago.

You should probably either find some worthy home(s) for that impressive collection of speakers in storage or else hang a "Polk Audio Warehouse" sign over the locker. 'Cause that's a lot of major league talent warming a bench over there.
RobLee likes this.

post #45058 of 45098 Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
Rob glad to see you kicking. I don’t stop by much, but your reappearance is worthy of popping my head up to say hello again .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #45059 of 45098 Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@RobLee ditto to above mentioned! Darn good to hear from you. My best wishes and prayers to you and your wife. Life does come at you weather you're ready or not. I'm facing a new life my self however life IS good no matter the circumstances.

I don't mind saying publicly here that I had lost all hope and faith for awhile and just crawled into a hole. I've been there before and I knew I couldn't stay down, so I picked myself up and before I knew it, I'm full of faith and hope again (among other things ).

Congrats on your 702's, pretty nice speakers, I'm still breaking in a pair myself.

Hope to see you more often!!!
RobLee likes this.

Set up:
post #45060 of 45098 Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Glad you were able to climb back out of that hole, Geoff. I remember you were going thru some family issues, moved out, downsized... but sounds like you're in great spirits now (or spirits are in you?) I realized I made a minor error in my post above... it's the RtiA1's 3-1/2" drivers that match the LsiM's pretty well... they sound crisper than the A3's. I'm still debating just how to break in the 702's... perhaps wire them as stereo for a while and play music over them for a month or so. Having bought Carlos's 703's they were already broken in.

Enders, glad you popped in for the mini-reunion. As I recall you have your own health concerns. I hope life is going well for you.

Chi_guy, thank for your reply. Yeah, we had a lot happen all at once. 2015-17 was pretty crazy, but we came out of it with a new attitude about life.

I'll try to keep in touch!

Denon AVR-x3400H, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, 702f/x's, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, AVR-S930H
I once cried because I had no Atmos, until I met a man who had no stereo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , polk audio lsim , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page