Originally Posted by Lhs1989
First time poster and noob to HT setup here.... so apologies in advance. Have learned a ton though on this thread.
Looking to setup a relatively small HT (19.5 x 11.5). Was able to buy Polk 707's, 703's, and 704c during Adorama sale this summer. Already have a Klipsch 115SW sub. Read in other posts that the 707's are hungry. Looking at Outlaw's deal on three Monoblock 2200's ($777).
Seeking some advice on a proper setup with Atmos.
1) Would 7.1.4 be too much for this space?
2) Should I use two sets of 702's for side and rear surrounds? Redeploy the 703's to another room?
3) Planning to use two sets of RC80i's for Atmos
4) Any Receiver Reco's?
1) No! I have a 7.1.4 set up in a smaller room.
2) 703's as surround and surround back speakers would work fine. However, 702's are made for that purpose. I would go with 702's if budget allows. (It's easy to spend your money
3. I just went Atmos a few months ago. I considered the Polk RC80i's, but after some research came across RSL C34E's for in-ceiling Atmos speakers. They are well regarded by many on AVS, with many using them in systems with much more expensive speakers than LSIM's. They are twice as much as the RC80i's and larger, but are awesome speakers for $125 each. (RSL also has a $25 Black Friday coupon code good thru 12/31.)
4) If you want to go 7.1.4, you will need an AVR that can do 11 channels and has pre-outs. I have two AVR's that can process 11 channels, but can only power 9 speakers. These AVR's need a separate amp to drive at least 2 of the 11 speakers.
The two AVR's I have are the newly released 2019 Denon X3600H and the 2018 Marantz SR6013. Someone above mentioned the Denon X8500H, I think that may be able to power 11 channels w/o a separate amp. Both have been great for me so far. I think they are about the same price now.
Whether the 707's 'need' an amp is always a fun debate. If you don't need the extra amp to power 2 of the 11 speakers, then you can always go w/o one first to see how it sounds and add an amp later.
Living Room: Marantz 6013, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, FireStick 4K, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2. Bedroom: Denon 3600, 5.1.4 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD x 2, LG OLED65B8, Xbox 360, Roku Ultra, Shield, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70's, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.