Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 455Likes

post #1831 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Carney View Post
The UB5s are really nice speakers but I wouldn't expect them to be that flat.

As Noaudiophile correctly cited in his review, IMO, they are "shout" boxes to some extent. I think the upper mids are probably tipped up a fair bit. They image mind blowingly, but they can get a bit fatiguing in my experience. Probably less of an issue if you listen with a good 8-10 feet of distance.

I really like this guy's videos, but are the measurements based on how each speaker is comparing with the other or a flat measurement tool as a baseline? Maybe I missed it ...
Jeff there is a well respected forum member over @audioholics that was NOT too enamored with the UB5's. But, my use will be solely be near-field albeit my desktop. I am merely 2 CH all of the way. Music is my sole focus. Could care less about HT. No sub will be used. If I decide later to do so, it will be duals and sealed. My distance will be less than 4'. I prefer a more laid-back presentation with a warmer sound signature and a smoother than ex-lax top end. Lots of detail is essential. Listening fatigue is of primary importance. Will also need decent in-room extension due to no sub.

The B&W CM1 S1's and the Diamond 220's gave me a lot of what I am looking for. The Dentons were splendid, but did not have very much extension. The 220's were also a bit neutral. The idea is to emphasize vocals. In other words, I want a stand-mounted speaker where the midrange is the star of the presentation. There must be a buttery smooth top end w/o any listening fatigue whatsoever. Guess one can say that I am very picky. That may very well be true. But, I know what I like and what I look for.

Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Lee the Emit M10's and the M20's are both on my radar. But, the price of the "Excite Series" has come down. I agree they are a bit pricey, but I have NEVER read anything bad about Dynaudio. If you do go check them out be sure to let me know. I trust your judgement. Very curious to hear them myself. The B&W 606's would be worth a listen as well. Honestly, I would love to opt for the KEF R300's, but they are near the price of the BMR's. Just so many good options......LOL!!!! Wished you lived closer as we could hold a get together. That would have to be a lot of fun!

Cheers,

Phil
too much good stuff out right now.. i am tempted to even listen to the exites, but i hear sooo many good things about the emit's , i am gravitating that direction.. they have monitor audio silvers too .. i want to hear some of those as well...and fear not.. i shall let you know about my experience.. i plan on trying to check them out just after xmas...
audiofreak38 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #1833 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
too much good stuff out right now.. i am tempted to even listen to the exites, but i hear sooo many good things about the emit's , i am gravitating that direction.. they have monitor audio silvers too .. i want to hear some of those as well...and fear not.. i shall let you know about my experience.. i plan on trying to check them out just after xmas...
Great Lee keep us all posted. Dynaudio has been on my radar for far too long. But, there are no dealers near me. Will have to drive if I want to hear them. The same can be said for KEF. Have tried to get a demo of the BMR's, but all to no avail. The new B&W 606's look promising using the Continuum drivers. Have not totally ruled out Wharfedale either. That is, the new 11.1's and the Reva 2's are still on my radar as well. For me, the KEF R300's would be more ideal. However, they are as much as the BMR's. Never read anything bad about them either......LOL!!!! Like always, I only has so much money.

Cheers,

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great Lee keep us all posted. Dynaudio has been on my radar for far too long. But, there are no dealers near me. Will have to drive if I want to hear them. The same can be said for KEF. Have tried to get a demo of the BMR's, but all to no avail. The new B&W 606's look promising using the Continuum drivers. Have not totally ruled out Wharfedale either. That is, the new 11.1's and the Reva 2's are still on my radar as well. For me, the KEF R300's would be more ideal. However, they are as much as the BMR's. Never read anything bad about them either......LOL!!!! Like always, I only has so much money.

Cheers,

Phil
audio reminds me of golf.. it can get expensive very quickly, or you can get good enjoyment with incremental advances and keep some money in your pocket.. i would love to hear the r300's as well , but alas , dyns and monitor audio silver are all i can get to easily right now.. poor Lee
audiofreak38 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #1835 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
audio reminds me of golf.. it can get expensive very quickly, or you can get good enjoyment with incremental advances and keep some money in your pocket.. i would love to hear the r300's as well , but alas , dyns and monitor audio silver are all i can get to easily right now.. poor Lee
Right, as I can relate Lee. The Dyns will not be cheap. Really don't know much about Monitor Audio. But, my guess is that they are not cheap either. Honestly, I have wanted the R300's for as long as I can remember now. But, will have to go with what I can afford. Chances are real good that I will end up w/the Q150's or the 11.1's/Reva 2's. If I can get a deal on the B&W 606's that is the direction that I will go. They cost $800 a set normally. Should be able to get a deal on them. If so, it is a done deal. Will know after the 1st of the year. At least I will know what a set of the 606's will cost me. Money is tight here too my friend.

Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1836 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Jeff there is a well respected forum member over @audioholics that was NOT too enamored with the UB5's. But, my use will be solely be near-field albeit my desktop. I am merely 2 CH all of the way. Music is my sole focus. Could care less about HT. No sub will be used. If I decide later to do so, it will be duals and sealed. My distance will be less than 4'. I prefer a more laid-back presentation with a warmer sound signature and a smoother than ex-lax top end. Lots of detail is essential. Listening fatigue is of primary importance. Will also need decent in-room extension due to no sub.

The B&W CM1 S1's and the Diamond 220's gave me a lot of what I am looking for. The Dentons were splendid, but did not have very much extension. The 220's were also a bit neutral. The idea is to emphasize vocals. In other words, I want a stand-mounted speaker where the midrange is the star of the presentation. There must be a buttery smooth top end w/o any listening fatigue whatsoever. Guess one can say that I am very picky. That may very well be true. But, I know what I like and what I look for.
I'm two channel also. Vinyl mostly. And I am the same way in tending to want the midrange to have really deep reach.

Personally, I would be careful in thinking about the UB5s for near-field listening. They might be tough.

The 225 is a better speaker than the 220 by all accounts. I find the 225 a little on the "dull" side (and I tend to like dull!) but it is definitely very smooth. Smoother than the Denton. The Denton is warm as toast but gets a little grindy in the upper mids for me. It has better clarity, but cymbals can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.

The UB5 might do the trick. But if you want NO fatigue and are inclined to stick with big name speakers, I'd personally recommend the Diamond 225. Music Direct has it on special for I think $350; which is a ridiculously good price. And since the 220 was already floating your boat to a decent extent, it may well have a sound that is just enough more refined to work for you.
audiofreak38, Lp85253 and dfa973 like this.

Jeff Carney
The Inside World Record Shop

Marantz PM-8006, Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-200, Audio-Technica VM95SH, Grado ME+, Focal Aria 906, Xtonebox S-7M
post #1837 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm two channel also. Vinyl mostly. And I am the same way in tending to want the midrange to have really deep reach.

Personally, I would be careful in thinking about the UB5s for near-field listening. They might be tough.

The 225 is a better speaker than the 220 by all accounts. I find the 225 a little on the "dull" side (and I tend to like dull!) but it is definitely very smooth. Smoother than the Denton. The Denton is warm as toast but gets a little grindy in the upper mids for me. It has better clarity, but cymbals can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.

The UB5 might do the trick. But if you want NO fatigue and are inclined to stick with big name speakers, I'd personally recommend the Diamond 225. Music Direct has it on special for I think $350; which is a ridiculously good price. And since the 220 was already floating your boat to a decent extent, it may well have a sound that is just enough more refined to work for you.
Make no mistake here Jeff the UB5's are not even on my radar. I want to stick to a 5-5.25" mid as opposed to a 6-6.5" in order to gain in the mids. Most of the 6-6.5" mids offer more extension at the cost of warmth in the mids. I prefer to keep the warmth in the mids and give up some extension. However, the 220's offered me plenty of extension. The Dentons were warmer/richer in flavor with respect to the mids, but not near enough extension for my needs. In short, I would love to have the extension/linearity of the B&W CM1 S1's with a mid richness of the Dentons and a buttery smooth top end like the 220's. To my ears, that would be the ideal speaker for me. Adding some lushness to the mixture sure would not hurt my feelings at all. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Phil
post #1838 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jeff, the designer @Harbeth describes exactly what I am looking for, but much better than I can. I know you are thinking, then why not just buy a set of Harbeth speakers right? Well, they are out of my price range. As such, I have to look for other alternatives. Here is the video:

This guy has it exactly right. The video is a bit long, but contains a lot of info that describes exactly what I am hoping for. Maybe I just need to save up until I can get a set of Harbeths. Have owned a lot of neutral speakers per se, but they just do not do it for me. I prefer a more warmer presentation where the mids shine like no other. Hence, the BBC has got it right. The LS3/5a is what it is all about. I would love to meet this guy as he certainly knows his stuff. Now you know what direction I am heading in. Feel free to recommend some loudspeakers if you like. But, I have done my homework. Been doing this hobby for most of my adult life. I am now 51-years of age. Have been in the business as well.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 12-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.
post #1839 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Make no mistake here Jeff the UB5's are not even on my radar. I want to stick to a 5-5.25" mid as opposed to a 6-6.5" in order to gain in the mids. Most of the 6-6.5" mids offer more extension at the cost of warmth in the mids. I prefer to keep the warmth in the mids and give up some extension. However, the 220's offered me plenty of extension. The Dentons were warmer/richer in flavor with respect to the mids, but not near enough extension for my needs. In short, I would love to have the extension/linearity of the B&W CM1 S1's with a mid richness of the Dentons and a buttery smooth top end like the 220's. To my ears, that would be the ideal speaker for me. Adding some lushness to the mixture sure would not hurt my feelings at all. Any ideas?
Size aside and taking into account how you like the 220s, the 225 may be a nice way forward if not perfect. The main question would be whether you'll get that extended midrange you are looking for. In my experience the other problem with them is they don't really play all that well at lower volumes. You need to get them some volume to open them up. Again, near-field listening could be a problem.

They should extend better than the 220s, that's for sure. And they are warm. But not "Denton warm."
audiofreak38 likes this.

Jeff Carney

Marantz PM-8006, Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-200, Audio-Technica VM95SH, Grado ME+, Focal Aria 906, Xtonebox S-7M
post #1840 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Size aside and taking into account how you like the 220s, the 225 may be a nice way forward if not perfect. The main question would be whether you'll get that extended midrange you are looking for. In my experience the other problem with them is they don't really play all that well at lower volumes. You need to get them some volume to open them up. Again, near-field listening could be a problem.

They should extend better than the 220s, that's for sure. And they are warm. But not "Denton warm."
Jeff when you get a chance, be sure to watch that video I posted up above. I am 100% on board with the speaker designer for Harbeth. He has done it for over 30-years and knows exactly what he is talking about. The linearity and articulation of the low end of the B&W CM1 S1's, coupled with the rich flavor in the mids like the Dentons and the buttery smooth top end like the 220's is exactly what I am looking for. My goal is to get as close to that as possible within my modest budget.

The 220's worked fine in the near-field w/o any issues. I did notice that the closer to the back wall they were placed the more louder/boomy the low end would get. I actually moved them away from the rear wall at least 20" or so. That gave me the best balance of warmth/extension that I was looking for. In short, I long for a punchy and well articulated low end with a very rich mid range and a buttery smooth top end. No listening fatigue whatsoever. Even after long listening sessions. Feel like I am getting closer. The Wharfedale 11.1's and/or the Reva 2's are very much in high contention. The KEF Q150's and the Dyn Audio Emit M10's are as well. Plan to get a good listen to the B&W 606's as well. The KEF R300's are at the top of my list, but are a bit out of my price range. Now I am also looking into Harbeth a bit more. Might just have to save up more and opt for them. It never ends ......LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Jeff Carney likes this.
post #1841 of 2094 Old 12-15-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Jeff when you get a chance, be sure to watch that video I posted up above. I am 100% on board with the speaker designer for Harbeth. He has done it for over 30-years and knows exactly what he is talking about. The linearity and articulation of the low end of the B&W CM1 S1's, coupled with the rich flavor in the mids like the Dentons and the buttery smooth top end like the 220's is exactly what I am looking for. My goal is to get as close to that as possible within my modest budget.

The 220's worked fine in the near-field w/o any issues. I did notice that the closer to the back wall they were placed the more louder/boomy the low end would get. I actually moved them away from the rear wall at least 20" or so. That gave me the best balance of warmth/extension that I was looking for. In short, I long for a punchy and well articulated low end with a very rich mid range and a buttery smooth top end. No listening fatigue whatsoever. Even after long listening sessions. Feel like I am getting closer. The Wharfedale 11.1's and/or the Reva 2's are very much in high contention. The KEF Q150's and the Dyn Audio Emit M10's are as well. Plan to get a good listen to the B&W 606's as well. The KEF R300's are at the top of my list, but are a bit out of my price range. Now I am also looking into Harbeth a bit more. Might just have to save up more and opt for them. It never ends ......LOL!!!!
Alan Shaw knows his stuff. I have not yet owned a set of Harbeths but I’ve heard a few, and they are going to be difficult to match for less money. I think you are on the right path in thinking about Wharfedale.

I wish the Denton 85th would have gone a little bit the other way and taken some of the 80ths upper mid sizzle down a notch and pretty much left everything else in place. Instead, it apparently opens up the top end more. But I have not yet heard it.

That video is fantastic. Thanks for posting it. Just the other day in some other thread I was mentioning Alan Shaw as regards his opinion about speaker break in. I am pretty much in agreement with him that it is absolute nonsense.
audiofreak38 likes this.

Jeff Carney

post #1842 of 2094 Old 12-16-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alan Shaw knows his stuff. I have not yet owned a set of Harbeths but I’ve heard a few, and they are going to be difficult to match for less money. I think you are on the right path in thinking about Wharfedale.

I wish the Denton 85th would have gone a little bit the other way and taken some of the 80ths upper mid sizzle down a notch and pretty much left everything else in place. Instead, it apparently opens up the top end more. But I have not yet heard it.

That video is fantastic. Thanks for posting it. Just the other day in some other thread I was mentioning Alan Shaw as regards his opinion about speaker break in. I am pretty much in agreement with him that it is absolute nonsense.
Jeff, Alan Shaw is a bit more than the speaker designer @Harbeth . He is also the owner. Read it last night on their website. I am totally on board w/Alan's approach to loudspeaker design. Have never heard the Harbeths either, but they are now at the top of my list to do so. Bit too pricey for me, but as you mention I am headed in the right direction w/Wharfedale.

The 11.1's are said (from the review I posted earlier) to be improved w/some smoothness in the mids. But, it also appears at the cost of some rising treble. Brightness and/or forwardness is a BIG no no for me. Maybe it is not that bad in reality, but will wait to get some more input before making my decision. Money is a bit tight right now anyways. BTW, the Denton 85th Anniversary speakers are bound to have better extension than the 80th. However, I have not read much about them. Do plan to follow up on them though. Good low end extension is essential for my musical needs. If the Dentons 80th had more low end reach, then they would still be here on my desktop.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 12-21-2018 at 03:54 AM.
post #1843 of 2094 Old 12-16-2018, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those interested, here is a review of the Wharfedale 11.2's by John Atkinson:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...12-loudspeaker

Here are his measurements:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

Some may find this useful.

Cheers,

Phil
Zorba922 and NorthernSound like this.

Last edited by audiofreak38; 12-16-2018 at 12:28 PM.
post #1844 of 2094 Old 12-16-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Folks, I found this here regarding the new "11 Series":

I found this very interesting. But, I also learned that I have been pronouncing the designer Peter Comeau name wrong.......LOL!!!! It is pronounced Co-mo and not Co-me-ay. Oh well, guess I can't win them all.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Zorba922 likes this.
post #1845 of 2094 Old 12-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a pair of Reva-4 in Piano Deep Rosewood finish, used in a 2-channel living room system prioritizing music use (also used for TV, as our room is not easily conducive to setting up surround speakers, but I am not very picky about TV sound beyond hating built-in TV speakers). Chosen because our living room space does not offer a lot of flexibility in placement, the limited reviews and spec information I could find seemed like what I was looking for in sound characteristics, and (let's be real) my wife preferred them visually out of a lineup of contenders I presented to her. Honestly I did, too, because they are gorgeous in this finish.

But sound comes first, and they have not disappointed me. I won't claim that I never ever yearn for a subwoofer, but I appreciate the cohesiveness of having two full-range speakers. And to be honest I think these cover the bass well for most of the music I listen to. Midrange is nicely warm, and high frequencies are clear without giving me a headache (I tend to be sensitive to that). Overall, very nice speakers, especially for a living room.
audiofreak38, RWetmore and dfa973 like this.
post #1846 of 2094 Old 12-20-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkXLV View Post
I have a pair of Reva-4 in Piano Deep Rosewood finish, used in a 2-channel living room system prioritizing music use (also used for TV, as our room is not easily conducive to setting up surround speakers, but I am not very picky about TV sound beyond hating built-in TV speakers). Chosen because our living room space does not offer a lot of flexibility in placement, the limited reviews and spec information I could find seemed like what I was looking for in sound characteristics, and (let's be real) my wife preferred them visually out of a lineup of contenders I presented to her. Honestly I did, too, because they are gorgeous in this finish.

But sound comes first, and they have not disappointed me. I won't claim that I never ever yearn for a subwoofer, but I appreciate the cohesiveness of having two full-range speakers. And to be honest I think these cover the bass well for most of the music I listen to. Midrange is nicely warm, and high frequencies are clear without giving me a headache (I tend to be sensitive to that). Overall, very nice speakers, especially for a living room.
Excellent post. But, we need some pics or it didn't happen.......LOL!!!! J/K! But, posting some pics of those Revas would be nice for us all to see. After all, we do love speaker porn. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Phil
dfa973 likes this.
post #1847 of 2094 Old 12-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Excellent post. But, we need some pics or it didn't happen.......LOL!!!! J/K! But, posting some pics of those Revas would be nice for us all to see. After all, we do love speaker porn. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Phil
Sure, why not? You can probably see what I mean about flexible placement, there's only about 7-8 inches between wall and cabinet. There also is no sweet spot seating (sacrilege, I know!) unless I move furniture around, which I will sometimes do if I have a weekend home alone or something. Mostly these operate in a fill-the-room capacity rather than ideal stereo listening, and I don't have any big complaints (occasionally bass can seem a tiny bit boomy due to my placement, but its really not bad considering how scrunched I have everything).

Normally grilles are on for dog protection purposes, but they look pretty great uncovered. They actually sound a little bit better off, as well. Sometimes if I want to really listen to something and it seems like the dog is settled down for a while, I'll take them off and live a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	826.1 KB
ID:	2499440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	938.9 KB
ID:	2499450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	798.2 KB
ID:	2499454  
post #1848 of 2094 Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkXLV View Post
Sure, why not? You can probably see what I mean about flexible placement, there's only about 7-8 inches between wall and cabinet. There also is no sweet spot seating (sacrilege, I know!) unless I move furniture around, which I will sometimes do if I have a weekend home alone or something. Mostly these operate in a fill-the-room capacity rather than ideal stereo listening, and I don't have any big complaints (occasionally bass can seem a tiny bit boomy due to my placement, but its really not bad considering how scrunched I have everything).

Normally grilles are on for dog protection purposes, but they look pretty great uncovered. They actually sound a little bit better off, as well. Sometimes if I want to really listen to something and it seems like the dog is settled down for a while, I'll take them off and live a little.
Wow! Those Revas are sexy! Very nice. Thanks for posting. Nothing wrong with rocking out every now and then. I do the same myself. Lucky you!

Cheers,

Phil
rkXLV likes this.
post #1849 of 2094 Old 02-08-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Just picked up a pair of Reva-2s a couple days ago. Found them new for a ridiculously low price and couldn't pass it up. I had been considering Dynaudio X-14s or M10s for an upgrade, but decided on the Reva-2s. In short, they're really great sounding and a significant step up from the Diamond 200 series (which I own, the bookshelf 220s and the 240 towers, in another system), and the build quality and finish is ridiculously good. The tweeter is better (tighter and more natural sounding) and so are the woofers (tighter and faster). They also hit pretty low, even though the woofer size is just under 5". The specs say 48Hz, but I suspect that's conservative. They're just really well balanced and don't exaggerate anything, which is what I like. They're also fairly easy to drive. I was worried they might not be.

I had recently bought and returned the Elac Debut B5.2s. I wanted to hear what all the hype was, and while I thought the speaker was superbly balanced/voiced by AJ, the quality of the drivers (the woofers and the tweeters) left something to be desired. Plus, the grills were just awful and unacceptable.

It's a shame these Revas aren't getting more attention, as they are really superb, and I suspect sales haven't panned out as well as Wharfedale hoped. I would love to have the Reva-4 towers.

At any rate, if you're someone who likes a speaker on the warm side of neutral that's really well balanced, doesn't exaggerate anything, has very high quality drivers, is extremely well built and these are in your price/performance ratio I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up.
post #1850 of 2094 Old 02-09-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Just picked up a pair of Reva-2s a couple days ago. Found them new for a ridiculously low price and couldn't pass it up. I had been considering Dynaudio X-14s or M10s for an upgrade, but decided on the Reva-2s. In short, they're really great sounding and a significant step up from the Diamond 200 series (which I own, the bookshelf 220s and the 240 towers, in another system), and the build quality and finish is ridiculously good. The tweeter is better (tighter and more natural sounding) and so are the woofers (tighter and faster). They also hit pretty low, even though the woofer size is just under 5". The specs say 48Hz, but I suspect that's conservative. They're just really well balanced and don't exaggerate anything, which is what I like. They're also fairly easy to drive. I was worried they might not be.

I had recently bought and returned the Elac Debut B5.2s. I wanted to hear what all the hype was, and while I thought the speaker was superbly balanced/voiced by AJ, the quality of the drivers (the woofers and the tweeters) left something to be desired. Plus, the grills were just awful and unacceptable.

It's a shame these Revas aren't getting more attention, as they are really superb, and I suspect sales haven't panned out as well as Wharfedale hoped. I would love to have the Reva-4 towers.

At any rate, if you're someone who likes a speaker on the warm side of neutral that's really well balanced, doesn't exaggerate anything, has very high quality drivers, is extremely well built and these are in your price/performance ratio I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up.
Excellent choice! Congrats on the Reva 2's! I was going to go that route, but decided on the 225's instead. Have owned both the 220's and the Denton 80th Anniversary, but the 225's have piqued my interests. If everything goes as planned, I will hopefully own a set of the KEF LS50's sometime down the road as well. Might even opt for the R300's if I can get them for around $1K price. Saving money is just so darn hard to do. Thanks for the insights!

Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1851 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent choice! Congrats on the Reva 2's! I was going to go that route, but decided on the 225's instead. Have owned both the 220's and the Denton 80th Anniversary, but the 225's have piqued my interests. If everything goes as planned, I will hopefully own a set of the KEF LS50's sometime down the road as well. Might even opt for the R300's if I can get them for around $1K price. Saving money is just so darn hard to do. Thanks for the insights!

With the Revas they have overcome and/or corrected the issues with the 200 series I thought were short-comings. The woofers are tighter, faster and more nimble. Better in every way. The 200 series tweeter I thought was a little artificially soft or lush sounding, but the Reva tweeter is not. The Reva sound signature is definitely warm with excellent mid-range, but it's not soft sounding at all. It's tight overall, but smooth at the same time. Really nice, IMO. Like I say, now I want the Reva-4 towers!

I'm still using the crappy bi-wire posts they come with too, but have ordered better jumpers for them. I recommend everyone ditch Wharfedale's stock jumpers, as I found a significant improvement on my 240s when I replaced them with something better. The highs became smoother and cleaner sounding.
audiofreak38 and Lp85253 like this.
post #1852 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a set of Reva-2s, along with Diamond 220s. They will serve as my side and rear surrounds. Got the Revas for less than half MSRP, and the Diamonds an open box from Music Direct. Looking forward to multi-channel music with them.
audiofreak38 and RWetmore like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #1853 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If anyone is interested, I just put in the AVS classifieds my Music Hall Marimba speakers I was using before the Reva-2s. And for a ridiculously low price.
post #1854 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As I keep listening to and breaking in the Reva-2s, I really can't find a single fault in their sound, and I'm so happy I went with these. They're just wonderful and so smooth and balanced, and I haven't even upgraded the jumpers yet. I find I'm getting lost and totally engrossed in the music and not really even thinking about what the speakers are doing (or not doing), which itself says a lot. The bass goes fairly deep too, and much deeper than you'd expect a just under 5" driver to go. I'd say about 45-46Hz is more accurate than the spec listed 48Hz. These would be more comparable to the Diamond 225s for this reason rather than the 220s.

As I said also, they're fairly efficient and easy to drive, which is nice surprise and an added plus. I'm getting about the same output level (if not a little more) than I got with my Marimbas at the same volume setting, and those were rated conservatively at 87dB at 6 ohms. The Elac B5.2s required about 2-3 ticks or 2-3dB higher volume setting to achieve the same output level.

I've decided I'm going to buy the Reva center to complete my 3.0 set-up. The seller I bought them from on Audiogon also has the center for sale, but unfortunately has no more of the color I need (black); but I'm going by it from Music Direct or Crutchfield. Wharfedale has apparently just issued a price-cut for the Reva series for anyone who hasn't noticed.
audiofreak38 and Lp85253 like this.
post #1855 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I keep listening to and breaking in the Reva-2s, I really can't find a single fault in their sound, and I'm so happy I went with these. They're just wonderful and so smooth and balanced, and I haven't even upgraded the jumpers yet. I find I'm getting lost and totally engrossed in the music and not really even thinking about what the speakers are doing (or not doing), which itself says a lot. The bass goes fairly deep too, and much deeper than you'd expect a just under 5" driver to go. I'd say about 45-46Hz is more accurate than the spec listed 48Hz. These would be more comparable to the Diamond 225s for this reason rather than the 220s.

As I said also, they're fairly efficient and easy to drive, which is nice surprise and an added plus. I'm getting about the same output level (if not a little more) than I got with my Marimbas at the same volume setting, and those were rated conservatively at 87dB at 6 ohms. The Elac B5.2s required about 2-3 ticks or 2-3dB higher volume setting to achieve the same output level.

I've decided I'm going to buy the Reva center to complete my 3.0 set-up. The seller I bought them from on Audiogon also has the center for sale, but unfortunately has no more of the color I need (black); but I'm going by it from Music Direct or Crutchfield. Wharfedale has apparently just issued a price-cut for the Reva series for anyone who hasn't noticed.
congrats.. sounds like you found your "white whale"... they must be a nice upgrade from the diamond line...
audiofreak38 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

post #1856 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
congrats.. sounds like you found your "white whale"... they must be a nice upgrade from the diamond line...

Yes, which makes me so darn tempted to upgrade my 240s to the Reva-4 towers.
Lp85253 and BluesDaddy56 like this.
post #1857 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, which makes me so darn tempted to upgrade my 240s to the Reva-4 towers.
well once again , congrats.. you have me thinking about grabbing a pair..
audiofreak38 likes this.

post #1858 of 2094 Old 02-10-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks once again. I am trying to save some money so I can opt for the LS50's or the R300's. But, your post makes it much more difficult to do so........LOL!!! Soon hope to have my Diamond 225's. Appreciate your insights!

Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1859 of 2094 Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks once again. I am trying to save some money so I can opt for the LS50's or the R300's. But, your post makes it much more difficult to do so........LOL!!! Soon hope to have my Diamond 225's. Appreciate your insights!

It's said by a lot of people that the 225 is the best of the Diamond 200 series. I have not heard it, but would be surprised if it were better than the Reva-2 overall. Though with the larger woofer, the bass probably goes a little deeper.

BTW, this is the only professional review of the Reva-2 (or any of the Reva series for that matter) I have seen.

https://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/reva-2/review

I generally agree with it, except for this part here:

"There’s an undeniable thoroughness to the Wharfedale Reva-2 speakers, but despite their insightful and straight-laced nature, you can’t help feel that something is missing..."

"When faced with an upbeat track, the Reva-2s drive more like a cautious pensioner than a daredevil boy racer.

There’s a lot to be said for playing it safe, but in doing so, the Wharfedale Reva-2s can’t always supply the thrills you might be seeking."

Yes, the Revas are a very 'safe' speaker in that they don't exaggerate anything or specialize in any one thing, but for me this is an added strength that elevates the speaker to something better. Not something that keeps it from getting a top rating. The whole is better than the sum of its individual parts so to speak. It's a matter of personal preference and what you're looking for in a speaker. Everyone has different ears and different taste in speakers.

"While they aren’t the most versatile speakers out there, they are masters of precision and detail. And if those keywords top your list of sonic must-haves, there’s plenty reason for them to win you over."

They win me over primarily because they're so well balanced and I can listen to all different types of music at moderately loud volumes levels for long periods and not get fatigued (and not feel I'm missing anything from the music). In that sense, I find them very versatile.
post #1860 of 2094 Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@RWetmore thanks for the info once again. I have the 225's, but not in possession of them. It is a long story. Basically, I have to pay them off first before I take possession of them. Saving money nowadays is so friggin hard to do. Seems like every time I do, then something happens and so on. However, I don't owe much over $500 as we speak. What color are your Reva 2's? I really like the Rosewood myself.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 02-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
denton , diamond , Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page