Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3427Likes

post #37501 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
So I'm still going to experiment with the bass and how they are setup but as of now everything sounds better than I have ever heard in any system I've experienced including movie theaters. I think with these towers it just depends how much bass you want and how heavily you have to rely on them for bass. If you have two or more good subs then you would probably want less coming from the towers. So for the next six months I'm done upgrading lol.

So my system consists of:

BP3000s -front

CLR2000- center

BP7000s- surround

Bpvx- surround back

Bpvx- back height

Di6.5- overhead middle

Psa-v1801 -sub

Looks so wonderful to me man lol, I’m insanely jealous.

I have 2x mythos st-l as mains 2x original mythos st as surrounds and a mythos ten as center and it sounds great, but I can only imagine what your system sounds like...

I hope you decided to keep the 7000s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keeper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37502 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Small update.

Did a ton of listening last night with my new 9000 system. Turned down the sub on the center to about 1/4 and crossed over at 60hz.

Have the towers crossed at 50hz to my dual SB16 ultras

Surrounds set to 90hz crossover

The system sounds astounding for movies. I’m not sure where people talk about “imaging sucks in bipolars, Dolby sends image queues that the DTs can’t keep up with”. None of that here. Imaging is excellent. Not as good as my $20,000 Focals but for movies there’s not much of a change...
pbz06 and BrigadierAngus like this.
post #37503 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Well a little more experimenting this morning. I have the bp3000s up front with lfe cables because just set to large the bass is weak out of them. I also use a great sub behind me so I have to input on the Yamaha that I have a sub. So I do like the way they are set up. Now I just swapped out a pair of Bp30s for bp7000s for surrounds. Tried them as large - very little bass. Switched to lfe cable- lots of bass. So I guess what I'm going to do is run all 4 power towers with separate lfe cables cut off at 80hz and of course use my psa sub. So I,will have 5 subs in my room. I don't know if this is right or not but just set to large isn't cutting it with a separate sub in the system. If I didn't want additional bass I would have stayed with the Bp30s.
I feel that if you run the towers as LFE, you should definitely not run them as "full/large". Should be Small with a crossover (80 or lower). That way the signal for sure gets directed to the woofers. Make sure the AVR settings have "subwoofer = ON" though.

Full/large works better with the towers set up with speaker wire and power chord only. Uses the entire internal distribution and can play the full range cleanly. I personally prefer this way but still Small with a crossover and a separate sub.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37504 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post
Small update.

Did a ton of listening last night with my new 9000 system. Turned down the sub on the center to about 1/4 and crossed over at 60hz.

The system sounds astounding for movies. I’m not sure where people talk about “imaging sucks in bipolars, Dolby sends image queues that the DTs can’t keep up with”. None of that here. Imaging is excellent. Not as good as my $20,000 Focals but for movies there’s not much of a change...
That's great!...posts like yours make me glad I chose definitive mainly for movies.There great for music too but having you be this impressed even owning 20,000 dollar focals to compare to is awesome.This just goes to show when there setup properly they are impressive.I believe you said you own the 9060's as I do and to get this level of sound out of just shy of there top of the line 9080's should say something.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #37505 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
So I'm still going to experiment with the bass and how they are setup but as of now everything sounds better than I have ever heard in any system I've experienced including movie theaters. I think with these towers it just depends how much bass you want and how heavily you have to rely on them for bass. If you have two or more good subs then you would probably want less coming from the towers. So for the next six months I'm done upgrading lol.

So my system consists of:

BP3000s -front

CLR2000- center

BP7000s- surround

Bpvx- surround back

Bpvx- back height

Di6.5- overhead middle

Psa-v1801 -sub

First off.. you suck! lol

Secondly, awesome setup!!!

Thirdly, I see your 7000 side surrounds are facing the front and not facing the seating area... Why? I though the side surrounds should face the listening area.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #37506 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Small update.

I listened to the 9080’s and they sounded good to me. I’m still learning and tweaking my 8080’s but imaging is not an issue! I was surprised at how they fill the watching area. Are you using only speaker wire to the 9060’s or are you also using a sub cable for LFE?

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #37507 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
I've always wondered and wanted to hear the ST-Ls. They look like incredible speakers. If I was to go back to towers I would want them but I am not thinking about that nor do I have 5 grand.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #37508 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
First off.. you suck! lol

Secondly, awesome setup!!!

Thirdly, I see your 7000 side surrounds are facing the front and not facing the seating area... Why? I though the side surrounds should face the listening area.

Mainly space and they would be blasting into the ears of the side seats.
post #37509 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I’m going to try that and tweak things maybe this weekend and see how that works. LFE to towers may be the way to go...

Fyi I have mythos st and a supercube reference and have had a terrible time blending them together. I am very restricted to placement. For general listening I honestly don't mind just the towers. Great bass. But at times the reference is great for movies. Hope you can find a happy medium.
post #37510 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'd like to share with you all my full thoughts on these new 9000 series vs my Focal Sopra system -

I always had wanted Focal's Grand Utopia EMs. At $180,000, and not having the space to do them justice, I settled with their Sopra line. Apparently, the Sopras are 95% of the Utopia line.

My system is a 99.9% movies only approach. I really only listen to music on the odd occasion I'm feeling some Diana Krall (once a month or two).

Onward, my room is a 17x14 room with a small entranceway when you first walk in which adds some square footage. Ceilings are 9 feet. So there's a decent amount of square footage.

The room is fully treated as well with several bass traps and also some diffusion and absorption.

Placement is everything to me - every system I have gets perfect placement to the 1/10th of an inch. The fronts were placed 32 inches away from the rear walls and about 8.5 feet apart from each other.

Upon running my Anthem MRX520's ARC room correction, I immediately noticed the authority these speakers have. Once the system was fully calibrated and tweaked, I inserted Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort is a visceral feast for the ears and eyes. I cranked these puppies up!

Immediately, I felt these speakers come to life. The massive sound-stage dwarfs my somewhat small room and makes me feel as if I'm at an actual theater. The initial wand duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort emits a "smack, crackle, and pop" which is successfully rendered by the 9060s and 9060 center. All queues for imaging are placed properly. The sound effects have a true 3-dimensional depth to them, and there is plenty of heart pumping detail behind that.

The highs are a tad bit "warm". This is where the Focals definitely have an edge. When Voldemort shatters the glass in the atrium, there is a clear amount of precise detail that comes from the Focal's BE tweeters that you don't get from the 9060s. Is it a signifcant difference? No. Not enough to really notice unless you are looking.

I will say, these 9000s are DYNAMIC! They have an excellent punch to them and add depth which really bring your films to life. The Dark Knight is another movie in which they shine. There is so much "oomph" from the dynamic background score which the 9060s handle with ease. I prefer them over the Focals for things like this.

At high volumes, the Focals can get a small bit fatiguing. At these levels, the 9060s produce more of a friendly tone for action films.

I'm seriously impressed with these speakers. As someone who has owned 3 sets of 8000 series Def Techs in a secondary system, I will say they are a definite improvement over the last generation.

I can now confirm that in a home theater environment, a set of $25,000 speakers does not significantly triumph over a $2000 set of DTs. Music however, is a completely different story.
post #37511 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
I'd like to share with you all my full thoughts on these new 9000 series vs my Focal Sopra system -

I always had wanted Focal's Grand Utopia EMs. At $180,000, and not having the space to do them justice, I settled with their Sopra line. Apparently, the Sopras are 95% of the Utopia line.

My system is a 99.9% movies only approach. I really only listen to music on the odd occasion I'm feeling some Diana Krall (once a month or two).

Onward, my room is a 17x14 room with a small entranceway when you first walk in which adds some square footage. Ceilings are 9 feet. So there's a decent amount of square footage.

The room is fully treated as well with several bass traps and also some diffusion and absorption.

Placement is everything to me - every system I have gets perfect placement to the 1/10th of an inch. The fronts were placed 32 inches away from the rear walls and about 8.5 feet apart from each other.

Upon running my Anthem MRX520's ARC room correction, I immediately noticed the authority these speakers have. Once the system was fully calibrated and tweaked, I inserted Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort is a visceral feast for the ears and eyes. I cranked these puppies up!

Immediately, I felt these speakers come to life. The massive sound-stage dwarfs my somewhat small room and makes me feel as if I'm at an actual theater. The initial wand duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort emits a "smack, crackle, and pop" which is successfully rendered by the 9060s and 9060 center. All queues for imaging are placed properly. The sound effects have a true 3-dimensional depth to them, and there is plenty of heart pumping detail behind that.

The highs are a tad bit "warm". This is where the Focals definitely have an edge. When Voldemort shatters the glass in the atrium, there is a clear amount of precise detail that comes from the Focal's BE tweeters that you don't get from the 9060s. Is it a signifcant difference? No. Not enough to really notice unless you are looking.

I will say, these 9000s are DYNAMIC! They have an excellent punch to them and add depth which really bring your films to life. The Dark Knight is another movie in which they shine. There is so much "oomph" from the dynamic background score which the 9060s handle with ease. I prefer them over the Focals for things like this.

At high volumes, the Focals can get a small bit fatiguing. At these levels, the 9060s produce more of a friendly tone for action films.

I'm seriously impressed with these speakers. As someone who has owned 3 sets of 8000 series Def Techs in a secondary system, I will say they are a definite improvement over the last generation.

I can now confirm that in a home theater environment, a set of $25,000 speakers does not significantly triumph over a $2000 set of DTs. Music however, is a completely different story.
Wow, wow, wow I did not expect that. I'm actually a little speechless. That is a good testament to Def Tech. Thanks for the posting, very, very cool.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #37512 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:

This is the reason I scan and participate in forums, thank you for the amazing write up I truly appreciate it.

j4894 likes this.
post #37513 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

I agree and I'm glad to hear your honest review of these speakers.Thank you for it and look forward to any other reviews you have as time goes on.I personally have never heard it but the anthem room EQ you have made a difference in the setup.I have tried EQ from audessey ect and never could get my towers to sound right.I might buy the 20 dollar audessey app and try it in hopes I get a better result.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #37514 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Houston, we have a problem!
Like lots of guys I have a wonderful wife who has little to no appreciation for my addiction to high quality home theater setups. Her favorite comment is; “if you would just get a good set of hearing aids we could eliminate all of this crap!”.
My current setup is a just under reference level complete set of KEF’s and a nice pair of SVS subwoofers. She just hates the subs and told me in no uncertain terms they had to go! (room decor issues) Oh well. I told her it would cost 10k to get rid of them. She replies, “no problem, just do it!”......... A truly bittersweet moment.

The arriving daily SVS free solution is:

1. Yamaha RX-A3070 9.2 Receiver
2. One pair of Definitive Technology BP9080x
3. One Definitive Technology CS9080 Center Channel
4. Four Definitive Technology SR9040 Surrounds (probably a compromise but better than the little white “Cute” Bose cube’s she wanted. Lol)

Now the problem. I’m not a t-head. I’m actually pretty challenged. I had hoped to use the YPAO for an automatic “ok” setup. Then I read that you cannot use it with the DT’s and need to set up manually. Oh crap!
Could anyone provide me with some guidance on the basic settings and recommendations for optimum speaker wiring of the above kit? All of my existing setup is moving to a “wife-free” man cave in the basement.
I’m hoping the new setup will sound as good as the KEF’s, but I’m clueless on the DT setup and would appreciate some guidance. Thanking you in advance!
post #37515 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Definitive Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmj5664 View Post

Like lots of guys I have a wonderful wife who has little to no appreciation for my addiction to high quality home theater setups. Her favorite comment is; “if you would just get a good set of hearing aids we could eliminate all of this crap!”.

My current setup is a just under reference level complete set of KEF’s and a nice pair of SVS subwoofers. She just hates the subs and told me in no uncertain terms they had to go! (room decor issues) Oh well. I told her it would cost 10k to get rid of them. She replies, “no problem, just do it!”......... A truly bittersweet moment.

4. Four Definitive Technology SR9040 Surrounds (probably a compromise but better than the little white “Cute” Bose cube’s she wanted. Lol)

Now the problem. I’m not a t-head. I’m actually pretty challenged. I had hoped to use the YPAO for an automatic “ok” setup. Then I read that you cannot use it with the DT’s and need to set up manually. Oh crap!

Could anyone provide me with some guidance on the basic settings and recommendations for optimum speaker wiring of the above kit? All of my existing setup is moving to a “wife-free” man cave in the basement.

I’m hoping the new setup will sound as good as the KEF’s, but I’m clueless on the DT setup and would appreciate some guidance. Thanking you in advance!

A lot more peeps here have more experience than me as I just acquired some BP8080’s and I’m still learning. But, you need to know that those 9080 towers will need to be somewhere between 12”-32” out from the wall and they’re around 16 inches deep. So the front of the tower would be around 3 feet or more out from the wall. Do you have room for that? And how is that better for decor than a subwoofer? Just wondering...

post #37516 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Quote:
Mainly space and they would be blasting into the ears of the side seats.
Those 7000s turned sideways against the wall was the first thing I noticed, as well. Doesn't that kind of screw up the imaging? Or at the very least, stifle their subs or radiators?
post #37517 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
Those 7000s turned sideways against the wall was the first thing I noticed, as well. Doesn't that kind of screw up the imaging? Or at the very least, stifle their subs or radiators?
Actually I've seen this recommended years ago by people on the forum so I tried them in that position for my Bp30s. I like the way they sounded. The issue with the radiators is probably the biggest factor. I thought they would sound poorly placed that close to the wall but hell I can't tell much of a difference. I have the woofer facing the main seating-bass is strong. Placing them normally no matter how low you turn them down won't work when seating is that close to the speakers. I believe Altioff does it this way also.
progprog likes this.

Last edited by keeper; 10-27-2017 at 12:35 PM.
post #37518 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Hey, if it works, it works!
Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #37519 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Firstly, you can definately use an Auto Calibration system (follow the instructions closely). At minimum, it will get the distances for you, and you can turn off the EQ. It's also good to know where the roll off point of your speakers in your room occurs. DefTech recommends not using Auto Calibration because it can potentially misread reflections. The before and after graphs normally speak for themselves so it's good to try and see what it did.

I can't recommend to get a new wife

Since you can't keep separate subs, use the tower subs to double up as LFE channel. If you have 1 pre out on the avr, use a y splitter to send LFE cable to both towers. Set them as small/80 to start. The AVR should have subwoofer set to yes.

If that's too much cable for your wife, use only speaker wire and power chords, and set them up as full range. But u will lose the LFE content. The AVR should have subwoofer set to no.

Last edited by pbz06; 10-27-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #37520 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
A lot more peeps here have more experience than me as I just acquired some BP8080’s and I’m still learning. But, you need to know that those 9080 towers will need to be somewhere between 12”-32” out from the wall and they’re around 16 inches deep. So the front of the tower would be around 3 feet or more out from the wall. Do you have room for that? And how is that better for decor than a subwoofer? Just wondering...

Maybe 3’ at best. That’s my biggest concern about the new “solution”. I can’t know yet if these will work placement wise in the room. I can easily see where she is going to want the kef’s back! Hope I don’t get exiled to the mancave with the DT’s. Fingers crossed that I can make the work. Reoccurring nightmare of a soundbar! Lol
post #37521 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe 3’ at best. That’s my biggest concern about the new “solution”. I can’t know yet if these will work placement wise in the room. I can easily see where she is going to want the kef’s back! Hope I don’t get exiled to the mancave with the DT’s. Fingers crossed that I can make the work. Reoccurring nightmare of a soundbar! Lol

My wife still to this day thinks the 100 dollar Vizio sound bar with wireless subwoofer from Walmart sounds the same as my 5.1 system consisting of 4x super towers and a mythos ten center..... she says the only difference is the bass. Lol.

weekendtoy likes this.
post #37522 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Firstly, you can definately use an Auto Calibration system (follow the instructions closely). At minimum, it will get the distances for you, and you can turn off the EQ. It's also good to know where the roll off point of your speakers in your room occurs. DefTech recommends not using Auto Calibration because it can potentially misread reflections. The before and after graphs normally speak for themselves so it's good to try and see what it did.

I can't recommend to get a new wife

Since you can't keep separate subs, use the tower subs to double up as LFE channel. If you have 1 pre out on the avr, use a y splitter to send LFE cable to both towers. Set them as small/80 to start. The AVR should have subwoofer set to yes.

If that's too much cable for your wife, use only speaker wire and power chords, and set them up as full range. But u will lose the LFE content. The AVR should have subwoofer set to no.
Thanks! Here’s the recommendation I received this am from DT:

Fronts: BP9080x speaker wire only set at Large. If the receiver still requires a crossover at large then go as low as possible.
Center: CS9080 Same as above.
Surrounds: SR9040 Small @ 100 Hz.
9080x Atmos toppers( if used): Small @ 100 Hz
Subwoofer should be set to no or off. This will allow the bass to travel to the front towers over the speaker wire.

I’m more inclined to run the LFE cables too as you recommend.
post #37523 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post
My wife still to this day thinks the 100 dollar Vizio sound bar with wireless subwoofer from Walmart sounds the same as my 5.1 system consisting of 4x super towers and a mythos ten center..... she says the only difference is the bass. Lol.

LMAO! I know! I’ve got the old system removed and we’re watching the Sony using it’s speakers and I said “OMG can you imagine listening to that crap every day” and she says “sounds pretty good to me”. I’ve got damaged hearing from 20 years of riding a Harley but I pray I never think the TV speakers sound “pretty good”!
post #37524 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Thanks! Here’s the recommendation I received this am from DT:

Fronts: BP9080x speaker wire only set at Large. If the receiver still requires a crossover at large then go as low as possible.
Center: CS9080 Same as above.
Surrounds: SR9040 Small @ 100 Hz.
9080x Atmos toppers( if used): Small @ 100 Hz
Subwoofer should be set to no or off. This will allow the bass to travel to the front towers over the speaker wire.

I’m more inclined to run the LFE cables too as you recommend.
My recommendation would be almost the same.
Since you will have no separate Sub, the Fronts with speaker wire only, Large and Sub to Off/None, still give you the exact same result as Small with split LFE cables and sub On, so why bother with the extra wiring/cables, just let the speakers crossovers do the blending instead of the AVR. (Yes , it would be a different with a separate sub or two.)

The only change I would make from DefTech's recommendation would be to make sure you try both large and small for the Center, your placement (cabinet, free air on a stand) will dictate its response characteristics.

Good luck with it, let us know.

Oh... Sorry for your loss...
pbz06 likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 10-27-2017 at 02:43 PM.
post #37525 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@keeper @Falconsfan71 , the no bass when Large thing is still a little perplexing (my 3040 gives me plenty for all my channels and the sub dials are no more than 11 O'clock) but as long as you're figuring it out and happy, then all's well.

Quote:
Actually I've seen this recommended years ago by people on the forum so I tried them in that position for my Bp30s. I like the way they sounded. The issue with the radiators is probably the biggest factor. I thought they would sound poorly placed that close to the wall but hell I can't tell much of a difference. I have the woofer facing the main seating-bass is strong. Placing them normally no matter how low you turn them down won't work when seating is that close to the speakers. I believe Altioff does it this way also.
Yes I do (sorry I haven't fixed the PhotoBucket Crap on my build thread yet)
For me, I don't notice surround imaging being off at all, just seems a little more dispersed.
But to be fair, I don't know if it doesn't seem off to me because most of the sounds in the Surrounds and Rears are moving around the room more than what you get in your Fronts, or if it's just because I'm used to them, I've been using side firing bi-pole towers as surrounds for 20+ years now.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #37526 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
@keeper @Falconsfan71 , the no bass when Large thing is still a little perplexing (my 3040 gives me plenty for all my channels and the sub dials are no more than 11 O'clock).

I bet it’s because I have a separate sub (Hsu VTF-3 MK5) and have Sub turned ON (1 sub) in the AVR. But yes, I have no noticeable difference when switching the fronts from Small to Large. But, if I set the fronts to Large and set Sub as None the fronts are rocking. But I want to integrate my sub with the 8080’s!!!

post #37527 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bet it’s because I have a separate sub (Hsu VTF-3 MK5) and have Sub turned ON (1 sub) in the AVR. But yes, I have no noticeable difference when switching the fronts from Small to Large. But, if I set the fronts to Large and set Sub as None the fronts are rocking. But I want to integrate my sub with the 8080’s!!!

Give me some time to peek through your manual for the 4300, it's got to be a setting somewhere, I have All my speakers set too Large and Sub on for my 5 Powerfield 1500's, my 3040 does it just fine.
I'll get back to you later.
Falconsfan71 likes this.

My Build Thread:
post #37528 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 313
People need to realize too that bass being not that loud is definitely an opinion.

Thats why people should ALWAYS use lfe connections to super towers.

By saying your towers have a bunch of bass set to large off your Yamaha 3040 doesnt tell us much.

I dont want to rely on definitive dsp or poor room eq to set front left and right. I would rely on personal knowledge on how to setup lfe and subwoofers.

It is night and day once you get towers to be in phase and work correctly with other subs.

In a average room size a tower like bp7000sc should output 116-120db at multiple seats of max spl. If you set to large you wont get the peak spl slams but it will be more balanced and inline. Which is boring to me, but I have been called a bass aholic many times.

2 svs pb2000 wont match bp7000 or 7001 when correctly wired and setup. Id put money on it 2 pb12plus wouldnt match it.

Just my experience with definitive over last 15 years.
post #37529 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here we go again. Yes, DefTech doesn't know what they're talking about, pros that do this for a living don't know what they're talking about, calibrators with measurements don't know what they're talking about, Audyssey doesn't know what it's doing, we don't know what we are doing...only you know and only your opinions are facts.

post #37530 of 40582 Old 10-27-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, but even with no LFE going to the tower's, there should be enough bass in those channels alone, when set to Large, that the sub dials on those speakers shouldn't be maxed out, let alone hardly any bass from them at all.
This is why I mentioned my sub volume dials having to be less than 50% on my towers, set to Large, even in the surround and rear channels without there being too much bass.

The signal should be there, just trying to figure out why it's either not, or why it's not being played if it is.

This is why I want to take a peek at the manual, almost sounds like the crossover is still being applied even with the speaker set to Large. Can't hurt to look anyway.
Falconsfan71 likes this.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 10-27-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page