Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1350 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3475Likes

post #40471 of 40652 Old 06-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by raypjuarez View Post
Hello, quick question. I sold my two sb-1000 subs and will be without subs for a few months. I re-configured audyssey and it is setting my front SM-55’s as large and full band, along with my center channel. Should I change this and set them to small and place the crossover at something like 40-50? No subs for the meantime.
You would want them set to large when using them without a sub.

[Display: Sony XBR55900F / Receiver: Yamaha TSR-7850 / 2-Parasound HCA-800II bridged, powering fronts / CD: Harmon/Kardon FL 8550 / Blu-Ray: SONY UBP-X700 / Mains: Ascend CBM-170 SE / Center: Ascend CMT-340 SE / Rears: Ascend CBM-170 SE / Subwoofers: SVS SB12-NSD X 2 ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40472 of 40652 Old 06-15-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Hello, quick question. I sold my two sb-1000 subs and will be without subs for a few months. I re-configured audyssey and it is setting my front SM-55’s as large and full band, along with my center channel. Should I change this and set them to small and place the crossover at something like 40-50? No subs for the meantime.
If you have no separate sub, keep them as Large and set subwoofer in AVR to "no".
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #40473 of 40652 Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
I have SM 65 for LCR and SM 55 surrounds and they do put out a surprising amount of bass. I need it's not like having a real sub but they compliment a sub very nicely.
Keith Zuehlke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40474 of 40652 Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I have a question for any 9000 series tower owners.I am wanting to slide the sock down on my 9060 towers and check the drivers.Has anyone done this and is it fairly easy?...if not I'll contact definitive.I would assume I'd have to un screw the tops but not sure if the sock is stapled or glued on the inside.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #40475 of 40652 Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
I have a question for any 9000 series tower owners.I am wanting to slide the sock down on my 9060 towers and check the drivers.Has anyone done this and is it fairly easy?...if not I'll contact definitive.I would assume I'd have to un screw the tops but not sure if the sock is stapled or glued on the inside.

Any help would be appreciated.

From what I have read it's non removable? Is there an issue or are you just curious as to what the drivers look like? Me personally, I would leave it alone and stop tinkering and screw it up for the sake of being curious. Just my opinion.
post #40476 of 40652 Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
From what I have read it's non removable? Is there an issue or are you just curious as to what the drivers look like? Me personally, I would leave it alone and stop tinkering and screw it up for the sake of being curious. Just my opinion.
No issue I just wanted to see how secure the powered woofers are.When I first got my towers about 2 months in one of my amps went on 1 tower.I got it replaced from definitive and when I took it out I noticed the bass radiators are only screwed into the MDF with nothing screwed into the inside.

I was wondering if the powered woofers were the same or attached more substantial.

I used to own the 8060 towers and the sock on them was put on with a draw string under there top cap.They were easy to slide down.

Sharp1080 likes this.

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #40477 of 40652 Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 822
For center channel (9060), what's the max recommended angle between its placement and listening position. Due to my media cabinet having a low profile, I'm curious if I'm compromising too much.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #40478 of 40652 Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys. I have lurked for a long time, and now have some questions...... First let me run down the equipment that I am using, and room info. First, my room. I am using our main living area as our theater. The room is odd shaped, as it has a corner fireplace in the front left corer, roughly 3 ft to the left of the edge of my screen. The room is open in the rear and the kitchen/nook is there. The shared space as a whole, is 38ft long, 16ft wide, the ceiling is 8ft on the left, and 8ft in the front "screen wall" with each rising in a trapazoid/kite shape up to 12ft in the rear kitchen area. My main viewing area is 10ft from the screen, with a 2nd row of seats on a 12 inch riser.

Equipment list

Denon AVR X4100W
Def Tech 9060 center
Def Tech 9080 Fronts
Def Tech 8040 Rears -- were my orig fronts when I upgraded
Def Tech 8020 Side's -- were my orig rears when I upgraded

Epson 4010 projector
135" fixed frame screen.

I HAD a niles audio Soundstage 15" sub that rocked the house, but sadly roasted its amp. Thats what led me to the 9080's with their built in subs.

My issue is now that I feel like I am lacking bass. "arent we all?"

So here is my question. I have gone way over my $$$$ plan on this setup and wife is threatening my other toys to replenish funds. lol... I am thinking I want to add a pair of subs, but unsure of what direction to go in. I have to keep it within reason with price, and also, dont want to add anything that the 9080's are just going to play over anyways...

SO....... My allowance is roughly $600.

Do I do nothing and enjoy what I have.
Do I add a pair of budget 12's such as the bic pl200-ll's
Do I go with 1 better 12/15 over the bics?
Do I go with a different set of 12's then the bics?

The 9080s sound great and hit pretty hard. Whats lacking is that deep, under 30hz rumble.

Any suggestions are welcome.
post #40479 of 40652 Old 06-20-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTAdam View Post
Hey guys. I have lurked for a long time, and now have some questions...... First let me run down the equipment that I am using, and room info. First, my room. I am using our main living area as our theater. The room is odd shaped, as it has a corner fireplace in the front left corer, roughly 3 ft to the left of the edge of my screen. The room is open in the rear and the kitchen/nook is there. The shared space as a whole, is 38ft long, 16ft wide, the ceiling is 8ft on the left, and 8ft in the front "screen wall" with each rising in a trapazoid/kite shape up to 12ft in the rear kitchen area. My main viewing area is 10ft from the screen, with a 2nd row of seats on a 12 inch riser.

Equipment list

Denon AVR X4100W
Def Tech 9060 center
Def Tech 9080 Fronts

Epson 4010 projector
135" fixed frame screen.

I HAD a niles audio Soundstage 15" sub that rocked the house, but sadly roasted its amp. Thats what led me to the 9080's with their built in subs.

So here is my question. I have gone way over my $$$$ plan on this setup and wife is threatening my other toys to replenish funds. lol... I am thinking I want to add a pair of subs, but unsure of what direction to go in. I have to keep it within reason with price, and also, dont want to add anything that the 9080's are just going to play over anyways...

The 9080s sound great and hit pretty hard. Whats lacking is that deep, under 30hz rumble.

Make sure on the receiver to set your fronts to large and subwoofer(s) to None. Connected the mains' subwoofer line inputs to the left and right line outputs of the receiver. That way the LFE and bass extracted from the small speakers is routed to your mains, and it it sent over both the speaker level output driving the mids and tweeters (but the speaker's internal crossovers will negate that) and the bass will come from the line outputs driving the woofers. Make sure to setup the speakers properly to have the woofers driven by the line input and not the speaker level input (will require removing a pair of bridges from each speaker input).
post #40480 of 40652 Old 06-21-2019, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

Equipment list

Denon AVR X4100W
Def Tech 9060 center
Def Tech 9080 Fronts

Epson 4010 projector
135" fixed frame screen.

As mentioned above, make sure your connection path is allowing the 9080's to receive the LFE signal and since you do not currently have a stand alone sub, set them to large.

Assuming the connections are all good, then you could be experiencing a lack of bass due to placement/room mode issues. Do you have the ability to measure your FR?

The other issue is the 9080 woofers roll off around 28htz or so IIRC. Measuring would allow you to determine if it truly is the lowest octave you are chasing, or if there are some other nulls you need to address.

A separate sub is always best because of the ability to place one where it sounds best in the room, which is usually not where the main speakers sound best for imaging and sound stage.

So, yes, a separate sub would help with both issues, but verifying which for sure issue will guide you to the right sub and realistic budget.

If it truly is just the under 28htz stuff you a looking to beef up, $600 might not be enough of a budget.

In that range, I would be looking at 15" port models minimum for your room and stated goal. One now, and one later when the WAF is more favorable. HSU & Monoprice are two with options around $800 that I would be strongly evaluating for your situation with that budget. You'd be looking at the 12" from Monoprice at that price range but the are reportedly very impressive and can be found on sale fairly regularly.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5

Last edited by derekmoore; 06-21-2019 at 08:12 AM.
post #40481 of 40652 Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Equipment list

Denon AVR X4100W
Def Tech 9060 center
Def Tech 9080 Fronts

Epson 4010 projector
135" fixed frame screen.

I hate to say this but you are going to need a subwoofers! The WAF will c__k block you but it should be done when you can. When I first set up my 9080's they had bass but not the powerful hard hitting chest thumping bass that we crave. I then moved my two subs from my main system and voila it was back to normal again. The 9080's are not really a subwoofer but can reproduce some low end. Good luck getting what you want. I've been divorced for 19 years now and no longer have to ask for permission.
post #40482 of 40652 Old 06-24-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I just purchased another used pair of BP3000s-couldn’t resist the price. Figured at the very least I could sell them or use them for parts as mine are pretty up there in age an you never know when you need to replace a driver or amp. Turns out 1 amp needs fixed. I know dt no longer sells these but I was hoping they still could repair. Called Chet and they still do repair these old amps. I’m pretty happy and have always been happy with their service.
derekmoore likes this.
post #40483 of 40652 Old 06-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
I just purchased another used pair of BP3000s-couldn’t resist the price. Figured at the very least I could sell them or use them for parts as mine are pretty up there in age an you never know when you need to replace a driver or amp. Turns out 1 amp needs fixed. I know dt no longer sells these but I was hoping they still could repair. Called Chet and they still do repair these old amps. I’m pretty happy and have always been happy with their service.
I still have a pair of those near new in original boxes that I completely forgot I had. I stumbled across them while looking for transducer part for you bud...
post #40484 of 40652 Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
I still have a pair of those near new in original boxes that I completely forgot I had. I stumbled across them while looking for transducer part for you bud...
The whole speaker lol or the amps?
post #40485 of 40652 Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

The complete speakers...NIB

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom cabinets Fully build, SS-BS DT BPXV, 4 Atmos DT SM 450's, Subs-Rythmik FV25HP front 2 HSU VTF-MK5-HP back, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #40486 of 40652 Old 06-25-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The complete speakers...NIB
Lol, you forgot about them? They are huge and was pretty expensive.
post #40487 of 40652 Old 06-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Lol, you forgot about them? They are huge and was pretty expensive.
I knew I had them it's just that I thought I sold them a few years back when I sold of a pair of the BP7000SC... it wasn't until you bought the Earthquakes from that I found them.
I have a poop ton of AV gear stored ..you know...in that room that nobody dares to go into unless it's really important...lol
keeper likes this.
post #40488 of 40652 Old 06-26-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I knew I had them it's just that I thought I sold them a few years back when I sold of a pair of the BP7000SC... it wasn't until you bought the Earthquakes from that I found them.
I have a poop ton of AV gear stored ..you know...in that room that nobody dares to go into unless it's really important...lol

Now we all know exactly how much AV gear it takes to loose a pair of BP3000's monsters.
WOKNROX likes this.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #40489 of 40652 Old 06-27-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok. Everything is setup correctly, and exactly how you guys suggested. I have moved the 9080saround as much as possible, but I'm at the point of thinking i really do need a sub or 2. I did find something interesting last night while a movie was playing. I was all the way in the back of the room and the windows were shaking. I rewind the scene and move to my sitting position. The bass is there, but no chest vibration. How is it that myself, and the windows can feel it 35 feet away, but cannot feel it 10 feet away?!?!? It's almost like the punch of the bass isnt punching until it passes the viewing area. I know that sounds ridiculous but..... I have proof. I set a cup of water on the table next to me in the viewing area, and the water vibrates very little. I move the cup to the back of the room and it violently vibrates. How do i fix this?
post #40490 of 40652 Old 06-27-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bass frequencies travel a much longer path than high frequencies. From what you describe the back of the room is where the "standing waves" are being heard. This is where bass traps are mentioned sometimes and also used by serious HT owners. You have your listening/viewing seat in a "null", this is why you aren't getting the bass you want. In the past, some subwoofer users place their sub in the listening position and walk around the room to find where the bass frequencies are at their best. That spot is where the subwoofer should rest. By doing that, it will show you where the nulls in your room are located. You have a huge room so expect more problems.
josh6113 and theike like this.

Last edited by Sharp1080; 06-27-2019 at 08:33 PM.
post #40491 of 40652 Old 07-01-2019, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok. Everything is setup correctly, and exactly how you guys suggested. I have moved the 9080saround as much as possible, but I'm at the point of thinking i really do need a sub or 2. I did find something interesting last night while a movie was playing. I was all the way in the back of the room and the windows were shaking. I rewind the scene and move to my sitting position. The bass is there, but no chest vibration. How is it that myself, and the windows can feel it 35 feet away, but cannot feel it 10 feet away?!?!? It's almost like the punch of the bass isnt punching until it passes the viewing area. I know that sounds ridiculous but..... I have proof. I set a cup of water on the table next to me in the viewing area, and the water vibrates very little. I move the cup to the back of the room and it violently vibrates. How do i fix this?
Two subwoofers carefully placed will fix it.
Sharp1080 likes this.

post #40492 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I have a general question if anyone owns the bp8060st. My system right now Yamaha rx-a760 doesnt seem to be pushing the drivers. I currently use the yamaha because my denon is again back in for repair for the same LFE issues. How are you running your towers AVR or AVS? Thank you in advance I placed them up for sale but having second thoughts and getting advice from people more knowledgeable about them would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #40493 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner1129 View Post
I have a general question if anyone owns the bp8060st. My system right now Yamaha rx-a760 doesnt seem to be pushing the drivers. I currently use the yamaha because my denon is again back in for repair for the same LFE issues. How are you running your towers AVR or AVS? Thank you in advance I placed them up for sale but having second thoughts and getting advice from people more knowledgeable about them would be appreciated.

I'm using the same towers and AVR and have no problems. My setup is 2.1 in the living room of a one-story open floor plan with vaulted ceiling, and volume for "normal" watching/listening is around -30dB, and "loud" is in the -18 to -22 dB range.
post #40494 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Leaning towards Definitive Technology BP9060 & CS9060, or BP9040 & CS9040, available on Amazon as packages.

Need advice for an A/V receiver. Don't know anything about A/V receivers (never had to buy one before).

Details:

Had a big house with a dedicated A/V room and a bunch of Martin Logans.

Moved to an apartment near work, put the good stuff in storage, except for an Oppo 203 which went with us.

Got an LG OLED 65" C8, for the alleged sound.

Can't hear diddly. Actually have to enable subtitles for some TV shows. Never had that problem with the big system.

Want to add real speakers and an A/V receiver, within a reasonable budget (~$3k).

No surrounds or Atmos heights, but want left, right, center, and sub(s).

Definitive Technology speakers have excellent specs and reviews, and a dedicated fan base. They also nicely eliminate the need for separate sub(s).

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #40495 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
I'm using the same towers and AVR and have no problems. My setup is 2.1 in the living room of a one-story open floor plan with vaulted ceiling, and volume for "normal" watching/listening is around -30dB, and "loud" is in the -18 to -22 dB range.
Ok thank you, I guess moving up to klipsch and rythmik I'm my other room made my def tech sound less but atleast now I can confirm the combination should produce great listening experience.

post #40496 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmoore View Post
Now we all know exactly how much AV gear it takes to loose a pair of BP3000's monsters.
Although the BP3000 are large speakers even in their shipping boxes. They are dwarfed by the Polk SRS SDA 1.2 and 2.3's along with a set of Vandersteen model 4a and the 3 sets of Mirage OM-5's amongst others... the BP's are more like large bookshelves in comparison...lol
tuner1129 likes this.
post #40497 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Although the BP3000 are large speakers even in their shipping boxes. They are dwarfed by the Polk SRS SDA 1.2 and 2.3's along with a set of Vandersteen model 4a and the 3 sets of Mirage OM-5's amongst others... the BP's are more like large bookshelves in comparison...lol
I thought I had alot of speakers but take the cake lol

post #40498 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner1129 View Post
I thought I had alot of speakers but take the cake lol

My wife probably thinks I have a problem...lol
That's just scratching the surface for just speakers.

I've been seeing a lot of speakers and gear off lately tho...
post #40499 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
My wife probably thinks I have a problem...lol

That's just scratching the surface for just speakers.

I've been seeing a lot of speakers and gear off lately tho...
My wife says I dont need a stereo in every room and which I say. Yes, yes I do lol

post #40500 of 40652 Old 07-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=tuner1129;58257702]My wife says I dont need a stereo in every room and which I say. Yes, yes I do lol

Same here...
Hey I like you sub...I have one of those too...FV25HP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page