Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1356 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3476Likes

post #40651 of 40654 Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
I have my BP9080X towers already and just trying to decide on my rear surrounds (5.1) the SR9080’s are an obvious choice, but I could certainly go BP9060 towers as well. Only issue is the left rear speaker would be firing into a corner. The right rear speaker is along a side wall and would therefore be fine. I assume there is no way to make a corner suitable for using the 9060? It’s quite close to the MLP as well. I’m not worried about bass so much as I can dial that down in the tower...but the bipolar sound coming off the back of the speaker could be a huge issue.

I’m willing to hear opinions. Anyone else firing a deftech tower right into a corner and not hating life?

Edit: spelling is hard
I suspect this is a YMMV issue. In general, yes, the more breathing room the better with these BP speakers but you shouldn't have too much trouble for surround duty.

I do have my right front speaker fairly close to the right wall. I probably have about 1' of space at the front of the speaker, and because they are towed-in, the back of the speaker is probably more like 6-8". I do have it pulled out about 22" (to the back of the speaker) from the front wall however which made a bigger impact on sound quality than the side wall.

The bass volume knob helps to balance things out on the low end as previously mentioned. It is the rear reflecting speakers you'll need to worry about. I my case, I can clearly see spikes of excessive distortion in a couple of frequency ranges on REW. That said, my right wall also has a glass picture/frame I'm partly firing into. The Mrs will not let me swap it out with something more friendly to reflections unfortunately, but it still sounds very good overall until I start to get above 0.00 to +5.0 on the main volume. This is referring to music of course. For movies I've never noticed any harshness, but of course I don't listen above -10.0 for movies either.

So if you can keep it pulled out from the back wall at least 12" and then treat the walls with some defusing panels you should be happy with the result of 9060 towers for rears. Ceiling height will also play a factor in actual placement requirement/results.
Majister likes this.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5

Last edited by derekmoore; 08-14-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40652 of 40654 Old 08-17-2019, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmoore View Post
I suspect this is a YMMV issue. In general, yes, the more breathing room the better with these BP speakers but you shouldn't have too much trouble for surround duty.

I do have my right front speaker fairly close to the right wall. I probably have about 1' of space at the front of the speaker, and because they are towed-in, the back of the speaker is probably more like 6-8". I do have it pulled out about 22" (to the back of the speaker) from the front wall however which made a bigger impact on sound quality than the side wall.

The bass volume knob helps to balance things out on the low end as previously mentioned. It is the rear reflecting speakers you'll need to worry about. I my case, I can clearly see spikes of excessive distortion in a couple of frequency ranges on REW. That said, my right wall also has a glass picture/frame I'm partly firing into. The Mrs will not let me swap it out with something more friendly to reflections unfortunately, but it still sounds very good overall until I start to get above 0.00 to +5.0 on the main volume. This is referring to music of course. For movies I've never noticed any harshness, but of course I don't listen above -10.0 for movies either.

So if you can keep it pulled out from the back wall at least 12" and then treat the walls with some defusing panels you should be happy with the result of 9060 towers for rears. Ceiling height will also play a factor in actual placement requirement/results.
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I ended up settling on the SR9080’s for surround duty. It was too close to the rear left listening position to go with a direct firing tower. Which saddens me of course. However after lots of looking around, it seems the SR9080’s rock pretty hard and should more than keep up with the front of the room.

Anyone running SR9080’s now and still like them?

Edit: I have no concerns that running these will upset the atmos experience, as nearfield these have a similar dispersion as direct radiating speakers at about 5’. But I really really wanted those BP9060’s for surrounds hehehe. Oh well.

Funk Audio 21.0 - 2000 year old Bog Sequoia Veneer - 4.8Kw RMS 9.6Kw Peak
Definitive Technology BP9080 (L/R) - CS9080 (C) - SR9080BP (SL/SR)
Monitor Audio CL165 (x4) Atmos Heights
Samsung Q90r 75”

Last edited by Majister; Yesterday at 04:01 PM.
post #40653 of 40654 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I ended up settling on the SR9080’s for surround duty. It was too close to the rear left listening position to go with a direct firing tower. Which saddens me of course. However after lots of looking around, it seems the SR9080’s rock pretty hard and should more than keep up with the front of the room.

Anyone running SR9080’s now and still like them?

Edit: I have no concerns that running these will upset the atmos experience, as nearfield these have a similar dispersion as direct radiating speakers at about 5’. But I really really wanted those BP9060’s for surrounds hehehe. Oh well.
To bad you couldn't of found a pair of BPVX's..
Majister likes this.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom cabinets Fully build, SS-BS DT BPXV, 4 Atmos DT SM 450's, Subs-Rythmik FV25HP front 2 HSU VTF-MK5-HP back, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40654 of 40654 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
To bad you couldn't of found a pair of BPVX's..
Oh, those do look nice. I think the 9080’s will work better just because they fire at 45deg vs the more obtuse angle of the BPVX. This will avoid them firing into a wall in my sub optimal location. Wonder how those compare to the SR9080? They look like they are skookum as frig

Funk Audio 21.0 - 2000 year old Bog Sequoia Veneer - 4.8Kw RMS 9.6Kw Peak
Definitive Technology BP9080 (L/R) - CS9080 (C) - SR9080BP (SL/SR)
Monitor Audio CL165 (x4) Atmos Heights
Samsung Q90r 75”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page