Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1359 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3523Likes

post #40741 of 40751 Old 11-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 242
^ About a year ago one of the other AVS members posted a list of the top performing DT center speakers. I think it was @ALtlOff IIRC. I'll try to find it and give proper credit where it's due.

Since you have such a tight space your center is jammed into, I think you'd be a good candidate for one of DT's older passive centers. The CLR 2000 is the biggest/best with 2x 6.5" drivers but might be too big for your space. Not that alternatives couldn't be considered (like on top of your council under the TV). The next best after that is the CLR 2002. I recently downgraded from the CLR 2000 to the 2002, for WAF reasons, and noticed little no zero drop off in performance. If I were a movie first kind of guy I probably would notice some drop off but I have not even recalibrated it yet. So if the CLR2002 fits in your designated space, I'd strongly consider seeking one out on the used market.

If you can consider other placement options, the 2000 might be the ticket for you. I sold mine to AVS member @Telperion who commented on his impressions just a few post back.

Of course upgrading the center/sub will not improve your 2 channel experience if you are not happy with that on its own merits. Please report back your findings after experimenting.

When the time comes to upgrade you sub, avoid Def Tech and seek advice on the Subwoofer threads. Very good help over there.
nonametofame likes this.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5

Last edited by derekmoore; 11-08-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40742 of 40751 Old 11-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I'm afraid I'm going to join the "that guy" club as well...

@emelioestaves, here's a list of bookshelf speakers to consider, starting after the PowerMonitor line and disregarding the ProCinema "package" offerings:
(This is simply "my" personal ranking)
Centers:
(Not counting exact matching your Fronts)
1. CLR3000
2. CLR2000
3. CLR2500
4. CLR2002
5. CS8080
6. ProCenter 2000 / C-2
7. CLR2300
8. CLR
9. CS8060
10. ProCenter 1000 / C-2 Jr.
11. C-1
12. CS8040
13. C-1Jr
Fronts and Surrounds:
1. CLR3000
2. CLR2000
3. SM65
4. SM450
5. CLR2002
6. SM55
7. SM350
8. SM45
9. ProMonitor 1000
10. ProCinema 100
11. ProMonitor 800
12. ProCinema 80
13. ProMonitor 600
14. ProCinema 60
Here it is.

It was indeed @ALtlOff . Where are you?

D

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #40743 of 40751 Old 11-17-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
BP 9060 Sub Amp Failure

I've searched this thread and found some posts regarding built-in sub and/or sub amp failure, but no one seems to have had the unusual experience I've had.

I have a pair of BP9060s that I purchased only 2 months ago (on sale at Crutchfield), and over the last few days, the built-in subs and/or the internal sub amps on both towers have failed. I get sound only from the mids and tweeters; nothing at all from the low end. ( I haven't subjected these to any high volume abuse.)

However the "D" logo on the front base of both speakers is on; the power light on the back of the speakers is also on, and blue; the bass control knob has no effect in any position.

Because of this, I went through every possible scenario of what else could be wrong: AC power connections, other cable problems (I use the full range speaker connection only, not the LFE input), incorrect settings in my AVR (Marantz SR7012), etc., and everything checked out.

I finally narrowed it down to the 9060 subs or amps themselves by connecting my center channel speaker (a CS9080) to first the front left speaker and power cables, and then the front right. In both cases, the center channel worked fine, putting out plenty of bass.

I talked with Crutchfield tech support, and they were puzzled, but after suggesting a few other things I might try, they said to call back tomorrow, and they would set up a return/exchange.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this with these speakers, or other similar models? Previously I owned a pair of BP2000s, purchased in 1995. They performed perfectly for 24 years. Hopefully the quality control on these has not gone down.

I am very pleased with Crutchfield's return policy, though, and I'm glad I purchased these new towers from them.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
Samsung Q9FN(65"), Marantz SR-7012, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3, Pioneer LX-500, Def Tech BP9060,
CS9080, SR9080, 6.5R(4), SVS PB-4000(2), Panamax M5300(2).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40744 of 40751 Old 11-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Send a message via Skype™ to jch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post
I have a pair of BP9060s that I purchased only 2 months ago (on sale at Crutchfield), and over the last few days, the built-in subs and/or the internal sub amps on both towers have failed.

Previously I owned a pair of BP2000s, purchased in 1995. They performed perfectly for 24 years. Hopefully the quality control on these has not gone down.
The BP2000, CLR2000, BPX, BPZ, and BPZ/A from the 90s are the pinnacle of Definitive Technology sonic performance and manufacturing quality. Everything Definitive Technology has made since then, while still good, is not as good as the products from that era. Why did you replace your BP2000s? That seems like a step down.
post #40745 of 40751 Old 11-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch2 View Post
The BP2000, CLR2000, BPX, BPZ, and BPZ/A from the 90s are the pinnacle of Definitive Technology sonic performance and manufacturing quality. Everything Definitive Technology has made since then, while still good, is not as good as the products from that era. Why did you replace your BP2000s? That seems like a step down.

The new 9060s are certainly a step down in size and weight, but they sounded fantastic when they were working. And since my HT setup includes two large SVS PB-4000s, I didn't need anything larger for front L-R speakers. I have been upgrading everything a piece at a time, and I wasn't sure how long the BP-2000s would hold up, considering their age.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
Samsung Q9FN(65"), Marantz SR-7012, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3, Pioneer LX-500, Def Tech BP9060,
CS9080, SR9080, 6.5R(4), SVS PB-4000(2), Panamax M5300(2).
post #40746 of 40751 Old 11-17-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
The new 9060s are certainly a step down in size and weight, but they sounded fantastic when they were working. And since my HT setup includes two large SVS PB-4000s, I didn't need anything larger for front L-R speakers. I have been upgrading everything a piece at a time, and I wasn't sure how long the BP-2000s would hold up, considering their age.
They do sound fantastic still (exact same sonic signature) an they also measure exceptionally well, and all professional reviews say the same thing. There's just the typical "everything was better" rose colored memory thinking that goes on with EVERYTHING. You hear the same thing in car forums, video games, TVs, music, rock bands, playgrounds, Sports...just comes with the territory.
post #40747 of 40751 Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I'm planning to upgrade my speakers and have complied a short list. My room is 21'x14' with high ceiling, tile floor (with a rug), lots of windows and open to a hallway. All that to say, my room has lots of reflections and is bright with echos. I'm working on taming the reflections in the room, but know that some of it is-what-it-is. I'll be driving the speakers with an Arcam AVR850 using Dirac room correction in a 5.1.2 config. The sub is an SVS SB-16 Ultra and the Atmos are an unidentified in-ceiling brand. Currently I have Definitive Mythos ST in the front, CS-8080 for center channel and Mythos Ones for surrounds.

Short List (in order of most to least expensive):
Option 1 - Revel Performa BE F226BE, Performa3 C208 center and ? surrounds
Option 2 - KEF R11, RC2 center and ? for surrounds
Option 3 - KEF R7, RC2 center and ? for surrounds
Option 4 - Definitive Mythos ST-L, CS-9080 center with either the ST as surrounds or keep the Ones in surround duty or pickup some GemXLs

I lean towards a warmer or transparent sounding speaker. Bright speakers, while sounding great at first, are very hard and fatiguing on my ears (I'm talking to you B&W < Diamond series and SVS Ultras).

I've heard the KEF R11 and the Revel F226BE but under less than ideal circumstances. I like them both but didn't get to spend much time with them. I'm very familiar with (and a fan of) DefTech having owned BP series and currently Mythos. If anyone prefers the ST-L, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Sound quality+value+long term investment+aesthetics are my key decision factors.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #40748 of 40751 Old 11-18-2019, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a new addition, and I am planning on putting a 75" screen between those two windows in the attached photo. Between the trim (not the sills) there's about 82" of space. The entire room at that end is about 15' across.

I have just enough space to hang a couple of old Definitive Tech Mythos 8 L/R on either side of the screen vertically just between the windows and the sides of the screen.

I also have a Mythos 10 I will use for the center. I've been using the Mythos 10 as a center channel continuously for about 11 years but the Mythos 8s have been packed in the original box stored in conditioned space for about 9 years.

In my current space I am actually using 11 year old DefTech Mythos STS for the L/R speakers. They have a powered subwoofer though the amplifiers have problems and thus I don't use them for that any more.

The L/R Mythos 8 speakers will fit I know it's not a lot of separation but I'm not sure if speaker placement on the outside of those windows will be better.

A few questions -
  1. Are the Mythos 8 / 10 for LCR going to be adequate, assuming I can fill in the low-end with a subwoofer?
  2. If I were to get a sub that would fill in the low-end, do you have any recommendations for one that isn't too physically or sonically big, and not too expensive? (I'm not going for ground-shaking performance, that will not pass WAF).
  3. Is the placement for the L/R front speakers going to be adequately spaced just inside the windows (so, about 70 inches apart, bookending the screen)?
  4. Would it be better to hang the speakers on the outside of the windows near the corners, maybe toed-in a bit? Should I be concerned about bad effects of sound bouncing off either wall if they are mounted within 12' or so of them?
  5. Another option would be to replace the Mythos STS amplifiers and not get a subwoofer, and place the towers near the corners of the room, but those STS have pretty low WAF; however, if I replaced the amplifiers then I could avoid getting a separate sub.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater destination.png
Views:	16
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2642596  
post #40749 of 40751 Old 11-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoppa View Post

If I were to get a sub that would fill in the low-end, do you have any recommendations for one that isn't too physically or sonically big, and not too expensive? (I'm not going for ground-shaking performance, that will not pass WAF).

I would encourage you to repost this question in the subwoofer forums with a budget and room details.

Avoid DT subs.
schmoppa and Hetfieldjames like this.

post #40750 of 40751 Old 11-18-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
I've searched this thread and found some posts regarding built-in sub and/or sub amp failure, but no one seems to have had the unusual experience I've had.

I have a pair of BP9060s that I purchased only 2 months ago (on sale at Crutchfield), and over the last few days, the built-in subs and/or the internal sub amps on both towers have failed. I get sound only from the mids and tweeters; nothing at all from the low end. ( I haven't subjected these to any high volume abuse.)

However the "D" logo on the front base of both speakers is on; the power light on the back of the speakers is also on, and blue; the bass control knob has no effect in any position.

Because of this, I went through every possible scenario of what else could be wrong: AC power connections, other cable problems (I use the full range speaker connection only, not the LFE input), incorrect settings in my AVR (Marantz SR7012), etc., and everything checked out.

I finally narrowed it down to the 9060 subs or amps themselves by connecting my center channel speaker (a CS9080) to first the front left speaker and power cables, and then the front right. In both cases, the center channel worked fine, putting out plenty of bass.

I talked with Crutchfield tech support, and they were puzzled, but after suggesting a few other things I might try, they said to call back tomorrow, and they would set up a return/exchange.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this with these speakers, or other similar models? Previously I owned a pair of BP2000s, purchased in 1995. They performed perfectly for 24 years. Hopefully the quality control on these has not gone down.

I am very pleased with Crutchfield's return policy, though, and I'm glad I purchased these new towers from them.

To make a long post short I have had the same issue. I contacted Definitive Tech thru emails, They sent out a new amp module. I replaced it which took about 20 minutes after removing the screws on the rear panel. The frustrating thing is the woofer has gone out again after about two weeks! I've not yet contacted Def Tech again. Not impressed with the quality.
post #40751 of 40751 Old 11-20-2019, 11:48 PM

Liked: 15
Hi guys! I just finished my 7.1.4 set up with all DefTech speakers except for the 4 Atmos speakers all hooked up through the Marantz 8012. I am using an old McIntosh SL1 subwoofer but planning to replace it with a Rythmik F18 sealed sub.

I will post pictures of the new house and set up soon.
derekmoore likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page