AVS Forum banner
4M views 43K replies 3K participants last post by  oniiz 
#1 ·
Definitive Owners Thread,

I am curious to see more Definitive systems around here. So lets posts pics, which speakers as well as associated equipment.

~Bob

#35,321 ·
So I finally got annoyed enough at this issue that I ordered a new CLR2002 on a whim. Well it has the same problem, so now I'm trying to decide what my next move is. I think my only option is to purchase a new center channel. One that can handle more bass since changing the crossover lessens the noise. But will the current lineup match my bp2002 tower speakers, or do I have to try and buy a used CLR2500 or CLR3000? Anybody have any experience with the current center channel speakers(CS940/960/980) or even the SM65 and the older bp2002 towers?
I have not listened to the newer Centers, but I can say this, find a good CLR3000 and you will be done. It is an awesome center channel.

#35,322 ·
I have not listened to the newer Centers, but I can say this, find a good CLR3000 and you will be done. It is an awesome center channel.

+1...Go as big as your budget allows for your center channel.

CLR2300 or 2500s can be found for pretty good prices on CL. There should even be a fair number of DT center channels for sale here depending on what youre looking for.

CLR3000 is where its at though.

#35,323 ·

CLR2300 or 2500s can be found for pretty good prices on CL. There should even be a fair number of DT center channels for sale here depending on what youre looking for.

Thanks Baderpilot and Gonzilla13. I guess my main hesitation with going the used route is if it ends up not being a speaker issue and something else then I don't have any way to return the speaker and I'm left reselling it.

#35,324 ·
Thanks Baderpilot and Gonzilla13. I guess my main hesitation with going the used route is if it ends up not being a speaker issue and something else then I don't have any way to return the speaker and I'm left reselling it.
If you buy a nice used CLR3000, you won't want to return it. I would stay away from the 2300, I was not happy with it. Also, if you can find a CLR1000b, it is nearly as good as the 3000, it would be my second choice. Make sure it is a "b" though, it has the more recent tweeter. I used to have the 1000b but then I found a deal too good to pass on for a 3000. Honestly though, there is not a huge difference between the two IMO. The 1000b's can be found around $150-$200.

#35,325 ·

Have you changed the speaker wire or hooked the center speaker up to another channel to trouble shoot it? Or maybe hooked up another speaker to the center channel speaker to see if the problem still exists?

#35,326 ·
Have you changed the speaker wire or hooked the center speaker up to another channel to trouble shoot it? Or maybe hooked up another speaker to the center channel speaker to see if the problem still exists?
I did try hooking up one of my rear BPX speakers to the center channel output on the AMP and it seemed to play fine(although there's no port on that speaker so maybe it's just an issue because the CLR2002 has a port) but I never did try a different wire to see if that makes it any better. Not sure why it would but can't hurt to try.

#35,327 ·
I did try hooking up one of my rear BPX speakers to the center channel output on the AMP and it seemed to play fine(although there's no port on that speaker so maybe it's just an issue because the CLR2002 has a port) but I never did try a different wire to see if that makes it any better. Not sure why it would but can't hurt to try.

Just a few quick things to narrow down the culprit...Let us know how it goes...

#35,328 ·
Add the clr2000 into the mix also. I see a few on eBay on occasion for $200 and less.

#35,329 ·

I currently have three sm65's for my fronts. I know matching all three is recommended, but Im still not entirely happy when it comes to dialogue. I upgraded from a pro center 1000 hoping that it would be much louder or clearer. Would a clr 3000 be an improvement as my center channel with my sm 65s remaining as the front left and right? Or would you guys recommend Messing with then receiver and settings and keeping the sm65

#35,330 ·
I currently have three sm65's for my fronts. I know matching all three is recommended, but Im still not entirely happy when it comes to dialogue. I upgraded from a pro center 1000 hoping that it would be much louder or clearer. Would a clr 3000 be an improvement as my center channel with my sm 65s remaining as the front left and right? Or would you guys recommend Messing with then receiver and settings and keeping the sm65

If you have the space and can find a CLR3000 for sale you should absolutely go that route. Use that as your center channel and pick up another sm65 and use those as your surrounds perhaps? I think that would be a pretty nice set up personally.

#35,331 ·
I posted this in the general speaker second but had no idea there was a dedicated Definitive owners thread which is probably where this belongs instead of in general, I apologize for the double post I'm new around here.

I'm finally moving into a single family house with my Fiancee after living in a townhouse for the last 5 years, with that being said I can finally set up a proper A/V setup without pissing my neighbors off to much. I still relatively new to all of this but have been trying to do a bunch of research and have pieced together part of a system so far. However I'm stuck on what I should do for the 4 rear speakers so was hoping I could get some advice from people that know way more than myself. I'm looking to complete a 7.2 setup.

Currently have:
DefTech ST-L Towers
DefTech CS9080 Center
SVS PB2000 Sub, will be adding a second one as well
Marantz 6011 Receiver

Just have no idea what to run in the rears. Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a diagram of what the space looks like in the basement.

Attachments

#35,332 ·
I posted this in the general speaker second but had no idea there was a dedicated Definitive owners thread which is probably where this belongs instead of in general, I apologize for the double post I'm new around here.

I'm finally moving into a single family house with my Fiancee after living in a townhouse for the last 5 years, with that being said I can finally set up a proper A/V setup without pissing my neighbors off to much. I still relatively new to all of this but have been trying to do a bunch of research and have pieced together part of a system so far. However I'm stuck on what I should do for the 4 rear speakers so was hoping I could get some advice from people that know way more than myself. I'm looking to complete a 7.2 setup.

Currently have:
DefTech ST-L Towers
DefTech CS9080 Center
SVS PB2000 Sub, will be adding a second one as well
Marantz 6011 Receiver

Just have no idea what to run in the rears. Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a diagram of what the space looks like in the basement.

You should buy my 8040s!!

Do you want towers? Wall mounts? In wall? Do you need to have WAF?

#35,333 ·
You should buy my 8040s!!

Do you want towers? Wall mounts? In wall? Do you need to have WAF?
Towers, Wall Mounts, In wall, doesn't really matter to me, I just want a good setup up that provide decent value. I've heard that you get more for you money from towers or wall mounts as opposed to inwalls, not sure if thats true or not? And no it does not need to be WAF. This setup is going in the basement so she's knows whats up, i stay out of here area, she stays out of mine.

#35,334 · (Edited)
need input on a center channel

Current setup:

L/R = UIW RLS II
center = Mythos Nine
surrounds = DI 6.5LCR

I did buy a DI 6.5LCR to use for center but found that it couldn't be installed in the wall due to a support beam. Then I had installers go with the Mythos Nine. I'm not liking the Nine, having problems with the rattling on the mount on heavy subwoofer scenes (Arrival around 1:28:50s) just punishes the speaker causing it to make a pop noise.

So I just planning on going to a freestanding speaker I will place on or in a cabinet below the screen. FYI - projection setup..

Looking at the cs9040, dont need a power sub in the speaker... is this a godo or best choice to go with to match the UIW RLS II?

Thanks, David

UPDATE: got this response from Def Tech, quick response. good support there

"The CS9040 would be an excellent choice. I think that is definitely a better option than the Mythos"

#35,335 ·
Towers, Wall Mounts, In wall, doesn't really matter to me, I just want a good setup up that provide decent value. I've heard that you get more for you money from towers or wall mounts as opposed to inwalls, not sure if thats true or not? And no it does not need to be WAF. This setup is going in the basement so she's knows whats up, i stay out of here area, she stays out of mine.

Nice. I have the same arrangement. One of the perks of a split level. I haven't heard a lot of in wall speakers, but Im yet to be impressed by them...

If you wanted a timbre match you could set up some SM65s back there on stands. Are another set of ST-L towers an option?

Are you going to do surrounds AND rear surrounds?

#35,337 ·
Anyone know where I can find the pre-construction brackets for the UIW RLS II and the UIW RSS II? Having a hard time finding them from a reputable site. Thanks!!
Have you e-mailed DefTech yet?

#35,339 ·
Nice. I have the same arrangement. One of the perks of a split level. I haven't heard a lot of in wall speakers, but Im yet to be impressed by them...

If you wanted a timbre match you could set up some SM65s back there on stands. Are another set of ST-L towers an option?

Are you going to do surrounds AND rear surrounds?
I'm not sure another set of ST-L would sit very well with my fiancee LOL. Yes I plan on doing surrounds and rear surrounds. I have been thinking about getting 2 BP9020 and 2 SR9080. Not sure if those would complement the fronts well though

#35,340 ·
I'm not sure another set of ST-L would sit very well with my fiancee LOL. Yes I plan on doing surrounds and rear surrounds. I have been thinking about getting 2 BP9020 and 2 SR9080. Not sure if those would complement the fronts well though

From the looks of your layout you may have outlets near where your rear speakers would be. Timbre matched, powered loud speakers for rears are a real kick in the pants.

The guy I bought my 2006's from was running a 5.0 set up with 4 2006's. He let me test drive them prior to buying and it was a very enjoyable experience.

I definitely wouldn't skimp on your rear channels if youre running ST-Ls up front. Just my 2 cents.