Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 128Likes

post #4261 of 4285 Old 03-14-2020, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade. View Post
I bet that rocks the house for movies!! Nice setup
Thank you sir!! And yes it does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4285 Old 03-14-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade. View Post
Ascend does a lot of custom work, I’m sure you’d have no problem having them do that, maybe a veneer covering would look better.
It'd be a wood veneer anyway.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #4263 of 4285 Old 03-14-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 932
I think it would be cheaper to by the Sierra's...custom work is not cheap and why I opted to go this route.

Im sure Dave would give you the same advice.
Lp85253 likes this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC{RAAL} & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED B9, Marantz 1710 & Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 03-14-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4264 of 4285 Old 03-14-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
I think it would be cheaper to by the Sierra's...custom work is not cheap and why I opted to go this route.

I sure Dave would give you the same advice.
How much was it for the pair of HTM-200 SEs with the wood veneer? It's the same stock price as the CMT-340 centre, so that'd give me an idea. I wouldn't go with a Sierra 1/2 centre mostly because I'd probably want an MTM rather than a bookshelf on its side.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
post #4265 of 4285 Old 03-14-2020, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
How much was it for the pair of HTM-200 SEs with the wood veneer? It's the same stock price as the CMT-340 centre, so that'd give me an idea. I wouldn't go with a Sierra 1/2 centre mostly because I'd probably want an MTM rather than a bookshelf on its side.
Ryan...that was some time ago when our currency was nearly at par with the US....it would be best to talk to Ascend.

Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #4266 of 4285 Old 04-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question. I'm guessing I might predict the bias in this forum, but thought I might ask for honest opinions anyway. I've currently got 5 of the original Ascend CBM-170s (not the SE versions.) I'm considering upgrades to at least my mains in the front, but still budget minded options. Like, say, the Triangle Borea BR03 possibly. My understanding is that the general consensus leans toward floor standing speakers in the sub $1k or thereabouts range might be compromised and I've got a smaller space anyway. So, I'm looking at what bookshelf options are out there that might still offer a step up from the old 170s.

Should I be giving the CMT-340 SE more careful consideration? At least they would match the sound from my surrounds and I might upgrade my center to a 340SE while I was at it possibly IDK. That starts to get somewhat pricey and makes me wonder what else would be in the ballpark price range of upgrading all 3 to the 340s. These 340s have been around for quite a while now. Are they still competitive with newer options from other manufacturers?

I'm just using a Denon 4500 and a Sony X800M2 currently. I've recently been really enjoying high resolution streaming from Amazon HD, Tidal, etc. I've got 4 RSL C34E speakers in my ceiling and an Adire Audio Rava sub. I actually love how it sounds, but I do wonder if I could do better with 2 channel if I had an upgrade to the mains. I'm sure movies would benefit tremendously with an upgrade to my center channel too.

Looks like the price is going to be approaching $1,200 to do all 3 with the stands. Anything else I might consider in that price range?

Last edited by Fastfwd; 04-06-2020 at 08:18 AM.
post #4267 of 4285 Old 04-04-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
My understanding is that the general consensus leans toward floor standing speakers in the sub $1k or thereabouts range
It's usually the opposite. A pair of bookshelf speakers at $1k + a respectable sub will outdo a pair of towers/floorstanders. You'll get a lot more speaker going with the bookshelves.

Quote:
Should I be giving the CMT-340 SE more careful consideration?
Yes. Absolutely.

Quote:
Looks like the price is going to be approaching $1,200 to do all 3 with the stands. Anything else I might consider in that price range?
You can't go wrong with the CMT-340 SEs, and it'd probably be hard to beat the Ascends at that price range.
sdg4vfx likes this.

post #4268 of 4285 Old 04-04-2020, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 228
If your HT space is at all on the larger side (big room, open living/dining room floor plan, etc.) the 340's are a uniquely good choice in that price range.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My neighbors all listen to great music. Whether they like it or not.
post #4269 of 4285 Old 04-04-2020, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Check out Chane. You can get a pair of their 5.5 floorstanders and a 2.4 for center for 1200.
I had original 340s across the the front from 2006 until last month. Really enjoying the Chane!

TCL 65 6 Series
Firec TV Cube 4k
Denonn X3500H
Chane A5.5 L/R, A2.5 C, JBL E10s surrounds
HSU VTF 3 MK 5
post #4270 of 4285 Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post
If your HT space is at all on the larger side (big room, open living/dining room floor plan, etc.) the 340's are a uniquely good choice in that price range.
My room is really not that large. Like 11'x13' with like 9' ceilings if I remember correctly and I'm using it with a long wall as the tv/stereo wall. So, I'm just like 8 feet from my mains. I do have a living area that opens into the dining/kitchen area though like you mention.

I've got great width of soundstage already. My speaker layout limits my depth of soundstage, but for what space I have it sounds pretty amazing to me. I don't lack for volume. That's not my problem. I don't have any frame of reference really though. No friends or family into hifi, etc.

I guess since I'm asking I should question what it is that I would gain exactly? I was thinking probably a bit more punch and pop in the midbass and midrange. It would possibly help if I could biwire, but I'm using all of my channels currently. I'm not sure if doubling up on the 6 1/2" drivers will gain much detail? That would be nice.

I'm probably mostly just wanting to try something different. Like the Triangles possibly. Move those 2 old 170s into the bedroom idk.

Last edited by Fastfwd; 04-06-2020 at 08:16 AM.
post #4271 of 4285 Old 04-06-2020, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
My room is really not that large. Like 11'x13' with like 9' ceilings if I remember correctly and I'm using it with a long wall as the tv/stereo wall. So, I'm just like 8 feet from my mains. I do have a living area that opens into the dining/kitchen area though like you mention.

I've got great width of soundstage already. My speaker layout limits my depth of soundstage, but for what space I have it sounds pretty amazing to me. I don't lack for volume. That's not my problem. I don't have any frame of reference really though. No friends or family into hifi, etc.

I guess since I'm asking I should question what it is that I would gain exactly? I'm was thinking probably a bit more punch and pop in the midbass and midrange. It would possibly help if I could biwire, but I'm using all of my channels currently. I'm not sure if doubling up on the 6 1/2" drivers will gain much detail? That would be nice.

I'm probably mostly just wanting to try something different. Like the Triangles possibly. Move those 2 old 170s into the bedroom idk.
If you stick with Ascend have you considered just upgrading to the SE version for the front? Since your room is not large and volume is not an issue you might just replace the 170 mains with SE's (saving the expense of new stands) and go with the 340SE center. On the other hand I understand the itch to try something different.
post #4272 of 4285 Old 04-06-2020, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know if doable but you might like to contact Ascend and see if they still house kits for the "SE" 170s....it's essentially the same speaker with the upgraded tweeter. It's likely the most cost effective change... otherwise....go as planned and try something different?

post #4273 of 4285 Old 04-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post
If you stick with Ascend have you considered just upgrading to the SE version for the front? Since your room is not large and volume is not an issue you might just replace the 170 mains with SE's (saving the expense of new stands) and go with the 340SE center. On the other hand I understand the itch to try something different.
I honestly never paid too much attention to what the SE version brought to the table. I could look into it. I might guess they offer replacement tweeters from the SE version that would fit, but I'm not sure I'm interested in going that route. It would certainly be the most economical route for a small change-up, but I'm not sure if it would be the best spent money?

I've just been doing A LOT more 2 channel the last few months with high resolution streaming from Amazon and trials with Tidal, etc. The Denon 4500 DTS Neural X up-mixing mode has been blowing my mind with what it can do with some material up-mixed into a 5.4.1 surround speaker setup. Then when I switch over to 2 channel it is mostly very good (and high rez is still mind blowing in some cases), but it just feels like I'm missing out not having some nice floor-standing mains to handle 2 channel duty.

So, I've been watching more of the Youtube reviews and considering what else is available that might do that for me in the more affordable range. I'm guessing Magnepans are too finicky with what you power them with to go that route with a simple receiver setup like I have. The Triangle Borea BRO3 look like an attractive option, but they are somewhat limited in power handling rated to only 90 watts. I'm not sure that would be a problem, but my receiver is 'rated' higher than that and I would hate for a peak during a movie for example to hit one of them and possibly blow it out.

The Sierra 1 could be an option to consider too. I haven't seen much on those. I can appreciate that they have a nicer cabinet, but I'm not really interested in paying more just to upgrade the looks of the cabinets of my mains. I gave the 340SE consideration because there is less worry of it matching my surrounds 'timbre' of sound, but they aren't the SE version for that matter either. They've got no problems with the power handling aspect on the plus side.

I appreciate you guys entertaining my questions. I guess I'm still curious what owners who upgraded found out that they gained going from the 170s to the 340s besides volume? They're moving like double the air of the 170s I guess, huh? So, do you get more 'detail' in the mid-bass and mid-range along with that at the same relative volume? Like better percussion sound for example? I'm guessing the upper frequencies would benefit from that SE version tweeter too.
post #4274 of 4285 Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's some info on the SE's:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...re-Edition-(SE)

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...-340-SE-center

And info on the Sierra 1:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...3288#post23288

Last edited by chas_w; 04-06-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added 340se
post #4275 of 4285 Old 04-06-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good find...I only went back as far as 2005....I don't know if Ascend offered or maintain stock kits like they do for the Sierra line.

post #4276 of 4285 Old 04-06-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Quote:
Question. I'm guessing I might predict the bias in this forum, but thought I might ask for honest opinions anyway. I've currently got 5 of the original Ascend CBM-170s (not the SE versions.) I'm considering upgrades to at least my mains in the front, but still budget minded options. Like, say, the Triangle Borea BR03 possibly. My understanding is that the general consensus leans toward floor standing speakers in the sub $1k or thereabouts range might be compromised and I've got a smaller space anyway. So, I'm looking at what bookshelf options are out there that might still offer a step up from the old 170s.

Should I be giving the CMT-340 SE more careful consideration? At least they would match the sound from my surrounds and I might upgrade my center to a 340SE while I was at it possibly IDK. That starts to get somewhat pricey and makes me wonder what else would be in the ballpark price range of upgrading all 3 to the 340s. These 340s have been around for quite a while now. Are they still competitive with newer options from other manufacturers?

I'm just using a Denon 4500 and a Sony X800M2 currently. I've recently been really enjoying high resolution streaming from Amazon HD, Tidal, etc. I've got 4 RSL C34E speakers in my ceiling and an Adire Audio Rava sub. I actually love how it sounds, but I do wonder if I could do better with 2 channel if I had an upgrade to the mains. I'm sure movies would benefit tremendously with an upgrade to my center channel too.

Nothing but positive responses to the Triangles. Given that you already have Ascend, and know their sound signature, and want to try something different ... that should tell you all you need to know about which way to go.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #4277 of 4285 Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Nothing but positive responses to the Triangles. Given that you already have Ascend, and know their sound signature, and want to try something different ... that should tell you all you need to know about which way to go.
Thanks. I was just curious if possibly the SE version and the double up on the 6 1/2" improved woofers might bring enough to the table to make a compelling argument for the 340SE mains. I like what I've got on many levels, but I just wish maybe it could be a bit more detailed with the instruments, etc. Vocals and some instruments on these already sound really pretty good imo.

I definitely don't want to give up anything in terms of imaging/soundstage, etc. I'm hooked on that holographic soundstage quality. I wouldn't even consider anything that the reviews hinted were at all less competent in that regard in favor of sheer volume perhaps or otherwise.

I'm probably at least going to strongly consider the center channel upgrade to the 340SE. I'll start asking around more about the Triangles and see if I should be concerned for them pulling home theater duty.

Thanks!
post #4278 of 4285 Old 06-01-2020, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hey everyone, this is my first post here.

I have a pair of CBM-170SE and slowly putting together a 7.1 setup

currently I can get a used Sierra 1 center that's cheaper than a 340 new, and I was wondering how the Sierra would mesh with 170SE?
post #4279 of 4285 Old 06-03-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 1720
It’ll mesh fine. All of Ascend’s products are designed to sound similar and be used within a coherent system no matter what speaker you choose and where you place it.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #4280 of 4285 Old 06-03-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9598 Post(s)
Liked: 7422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
It’ll mesh fine. All of Ascend’s products are designed to sound similar and be used within a coherent system no matter what speaker you choose and where you place it.
Wow, I'm very surprised to hear you say that...the SE series use completely different drivers than the Sierras, and I thought you had become a "timbre matching" purist.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #4281 of 4285 Old 06-03-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la3288 View Post
hey everyone, this is my first post here.

I have a pair of CBM-170SE and slowly putting together a 7.1 setup

currently I can get a used Sierra 1 center that's cheaper than a 340 new, and I was wondering how the Sierra would mesh with 170SE?
There's no such thing as "meshing" or "timbre matching" unless you simply buy a 3rd 170SE and use it as your center in VERTICAL position, tweeter horizontally aligned with the L/R tweeters (see photo).

But truth be told, there's no real pressing need for such precise "matching" unless you do a lot of multi-channel MUSIC or GAMING, which are the only 2 instances when having one identical speaker in all positions would be undeniably worth it.

If you like to listen loud (above the usual 60-75db range most people listen at) and sit more than the usual 8-12ft away, the extra woofer and larger cabinet of a 340SE in the center position would provide much more satisfying headroom and dynamics than a single woofer bookshelf laid on its side (unless it's something like a PSA MT-110 which has a whopping 10" single woofer).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookshelf as center and aligned (Ascend170).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	2736782  

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #4282 of 4285 Old 06-03-2020, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Wow, I'm very surprised to hear you say that...the SE series use completely different drivers than the Sierras, and I thought you had become a "timbre matching" purist.

It’ll mesh fine. Nothing further was said.

I’m not a timber matching purist but I see value in complete systems. If I had to point out 4 different brands of speakers in a system that only had 7 channels to a friend I’m sure they would be scratching their head, and at that point I would be too.

You don’t need exact drivers to match “timbre” either.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #4283 of 4285 Old 06-14-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
It’ll mesh fine. Nothing further was said.

I’m not a timber matching purist but I see value in complete systems. If I had to point out 4 different brands of speakers in a system that only had 7 channels to a friend I’m sure they would be scratching their head, and at that point I would be too.

You don’t need exact drivers to match “timbre” either.
Quote:
There's no such thing as "meshing" or "timbre matching" unless you simply buy a 3rd 170SE and use it as your center in VERTICAL position, tweeter horizontally aligned with the L/R tweeters (see photo).

But truth be told, there's no real pressing need for such precise "matching" unless you do a lot of multi-channel MUSIC or GAMING, which are the only 2 instances when having one identical speaker in all positions would be undeniably worth it.

If you like to listen loud (above the usual 60-75db range most people listen at) and sit more than the usual 8-12ft away, the extra woofer and larger cabinet of a 340SE in the center position would provide much more satisfying headroom and dynamics than a single woofer bookshelf laid on its side (unless it's something like a PSA MT-110 which has a whopping 10" single woofer).
thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I'll be mostly using this for movies/tv, but I think I'd want to match the center with the L/R for aesthetic reasons.
post #4284 of 4285 Old 06-14-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la3288 View Post
I'll be mostly using this for movies/tv, but I think I'd want to match the center with the L/R for aesthetic reasons.
In that case either the 340SE or a single 170SE in the center position would be more aesthetically uniform than a single Sierra 1 on its side. I mean, the Sierra 1 is a nice looking speaker with its bamboo cabinet, but the 170SE hasn't ever won any beauty contests I know of.

post #4285 of 4285 Old 06-14-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
In that case either the 340SE or a single 170SE in the center position would be more aesthetically uniform than a single Sierra 1 on its side
I was thinking of moving the 170's to the rear and have a L/C/R of Sierra 1's if I decide to buy the center, but I think it would be hard to find a matching pair of L/R Sierra's.

Quote:
but the 170SE hasn't ever won any beauty contests I know of.
haha yeah, I have no other speakers to compare them with as this is my first real attempt at a home theater but I'm absolutely thrilled with it's performance. I narrowed it down between them and Chane, but I'm local to Ascend and I like meeting the people making the products I'm purchasing and seeing "where the magic happens" and was able to pick them up without paying for shipping and getting the B-stocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page