Boston Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #3361 of 3377 Old 01-30-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I have a 5.1 Micro 80 setup I bought a while ago and will be making some upgrades this year. Will the A series blend well with the micros or are the line too different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3377 Old 01-30-2020, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
14 years later and the Boston VR3s are still winning me over, have yet to find anything that makes me want to change. Recently picked up a near pristine set of VR3s, so I swapped out my VR1 center for a VR3. Wides, surrounds, and rears remain VR1s, LCR is VR3s.

Getting the itch to chase down some E100s before they disappear forever.
Your post gave me the push to act on the first local pair of E100 I've ever seen listed . They were onky 15 minutes from me and in pristine condition. The reason for my hesitation was I have no need to replace my VR3s, as they are still my favorite all around speaker.

To further complicated things, there is also a pair of VS336 30 minutes from me, another pair I've always wanted to own! I have the vs325c/vs260/vs240 set and the e70/e60 set so I can go either direction when I over get a dedicated space.

For those that have the E100s, what do you use to power them? I can tell that cheap AVRs are not up to the task as my test mule Onkyo 609 keeps crapping out playing at reference.
post #3363 of 3377 Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
@Docethic So you got the ones off of Facebook marketplace that the guy was unwilling to sell me? Sucks for me, lucky for you.

If they are not to your liking, keep me in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 3377 Old 01-31-2020, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
@Docethic So you got the ones off of Facebook marketplace that the guy was unwilling to sell me? Sucks for me, lucky for you.

If they are not to your liking, keep me in mind.
Where are you located ?
post #3365 of 3377 Old 01-31-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Docethic PM sent. In the meanwhile, how about you post some pics of those E100s in your setup?

Even after all these years, there are VERY few pics of E100s beyond the Boston marketing ones.
post #3366 of 3377 Old 02-07-2020, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Classic Series was their low tier bargain offering. Still great speakers that will best most competitors, and I use a pair of the CS260 floorstanding speakers for my living room TV setup, but within Boston's offerings, it was lower end.

It's debatable whether the A series or M series would be next. The goal of the A series was to create a Boston speaker that would be enjoyed in all world markets, not just North America. They used input from Ken Ishiwata from Marantz in Japan as well as a UK team to help voice the final FR. While these were also budget friendly models, their performance is quite high. The M series was more expensive and used the extended wideband dimpled tweeter, a damping layer of adhesive between layers of MDF in the enclosure, and a series of small, basic midwoofers. The only measurements I have seen show a 5db pyramid peak at 120hz and the reviews were not very stunning.

Next up would the Reflection series, or RS. Same tweeter as M series, but flatter low end, and generally more favorable reviews. These didn't stick around the market for very long.

Now here is where things get interesting. Namely, does the ultra wide band tweeter used is the VS line exceed the performance of the VR tweeter used in the VR-M series? If it does, can it also exceed the performance of the VRHO tweeter in the VR and E series? The VS series didn't last very long either, I never got to listen to a pair, and I can't find any VS speaker measurements online, so I can't say for certain.

If we assume it can't beat the VR tweeter, then the VS series falls in line next.

The VR-M series was more expensive and had a beefier cabinet than the VR series, but the VR series had the better tweeter, and they shared the same midrange and woofer compliment. That makes the VR-M series up next, bested slightly on the top end by the VR and E series. The E series had some type of ribbed aluminum with MDF cabinet construction that always intrigued me. Metal in cabinets is a no no because of ringing, but it sandwiched with adhesive and MDF, I think it would be an extremely inert enclosure.

If we assume the UWB tweeter does best the VR and VRHO, then it ranks above the VR-M, VR, and lower tier E series models.

The E-100 speaker is in a class of its own at the top of the heap. It has some line array characteristics, a front firing VRHO tweeter and a rear firing VR tweeter for upper frequency ambiance, and what I imagine would be extremely wide dispersion sound by sticking to the use of smaller diameter drivers with a narrow baffle.

So if we consider the best floorstander in each, I would go:

CS-226
A360 or M350
RS334/326
E70
VS336 or VR-M90 depending on the UWB teeter
VS336 or VR3 depending on the UWB tweeter
E100

Thank you so much for the information. I've read some of your other posts while I was hunting for BA information and your level of knowledge is amazing. I actually also just saw that your home theater was featured on this site as the theater of the month - congrats on that, it looks fantastic. Although I noticed you didn't mention Boston Acoustics at all...

In another forum you had expounded for someone on the evolution and differences between the CR series of speakers which is what led me to get the CR8's that I'm currently using for my rears/surrounds. Given that new purchase and loving their sound so far, I think it would make sense to update my front towers to something using the Kortec tweeter, like the A360's. Everything I've been reading is leading me to believe I should match the tweeters for best sound. If that logic is sensible, I feel like I need to replace my center again now too. When I got the CR8's I also go a VR-10. What center would be a good match (presumably using the Kortec tweeter to match).
post #3367 of 3377 Old 02-08-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tieperman
congrats on that, it looks fantastic. Although I noticed you didn't mention Boston Acoustics at all...
Thanks. I didn't really call out any of the gear in the Q&A part aside from the JVC projector, but the Bostons are called out in my first post in my theater thread. I also did a lengthy VR3 vs DIYSG Titan 15 thread about a year ago, and then several VR3 vs other speaker comparisons in various other threads years ago.
post #3368 of 3377 Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Boston Acoustics A26 speaker review
I originally bought these from AFL for office stereo. Rearranged the house and now the A26's are my main system speakers. Because I got them so cheap I felt I needed higher end ones. Now that I added the matching Boston ASW250 subwoofer, the synergy is really good and I'm going to keep them as my mains.

The A26's have a nice Sparkle on top without being metallic and harsh. Soft dome tweeter is smoother than other speakers I had. Midrange is liquid and lush. Now the subwoofer adds in the bottom end. Imaging and soundstage is really 3D. Was playing some Sheryl Crow and it sounded like she was singing in my room live

Powering them with a Rotel RA-12 integrated amp.
tomd51, audiofan1, cocrh and 1 others like this.
post #3369 of 3377 Old 03-04-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
Your post gave me the push to act on the first local pair of E100 I've ever seen listed . They were onky 15 minutes from me and in pristine condition. The reason for my hesitation was I have no need to replace my VR3s, as they are still my favorite all around speaker.

To further complicated things, there is also a pair of VS336 30 minutes from me, another pair I've always wanted to own! I have the vs325c/vs260/vs240 set and the e70/e60 set so I can go either direction when I over get a dedicated space.

For those that have the E100s, what do you use to power them? I can tell that cheap AVRs are not up to the task as my test mule Onkyo 609 keeps crapping out playing at reference.
I power mine with a Parasound Halo A21 and reference playback is just breath taking and frightful at the same time
post #3370 of 3377 Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post

I use a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 (Gen2) monoblock amps. Been using them for a few years, very happy with pairing them to the BA E-100 speakers.

The current generation of these amps are a little different, but I do like Emotiva for the quality for price ratio. Info on the Gen2...

XPA-1 -- DIFFERENTIAL REFERENCE CLASS A/AB MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIER
Topology: fully balanced, fully discrete, quad differential, ultra high current, short signal path selectable Class A/AB
Number of channels: 1
Power output (0.1% THD):
1,000 watts RMS @ 4 ohms
600 watts RMS @ 8 ohms
Rated power bandwidth: 20 Hz – 20 kHz +/- 0.07dB
Minimum Recommended Load: 4 ohms
Frequency response: (-1 dB): 10Hz to 80kHz
THD+N: <0.01%
Signal to Noise Ratio:
1 watt: > 89 dB
Full power: > 117 dB
Damping Factor: >500 into 8 ohms
Power Supply: 1,200VA toroidal transformer, 120,000uF filter capacitance
Gain: 29 dB
Input Impedance:
33 kohms (balanced)
23.5 kohms (unbalanced)
Power Requirements: 115 VAC or 230 VAC +/- 10% @ 50/60 Hz (automatically switched)
Size:
unboxed: 17” wide x 7 3/4” high x 19” deep
boxed: 23 1/2" wide x 12" high x 24 3/4" deep
Weight: 73 lbs (84 lbs boxed)
audiofan1 likes this.
post #3371 of 3377 Old 03-22-2020, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a weird issue and thought this thread, although not frequently traveled, may be able to assist. May be more of a general/technical speaker question than a Boston Acoustic-specific question.

I have a pair of BA VR965 tower speakers, and have a peculiar issue where if the speakers aren't in use for a while, one of the mid range drivers won't fire at all when music starts playing, so it's just the powered sub and tweeter firing. If I turn the volume way up, like to uncomfortable listening levels, it will somehow "wake" the driver up (best way I can describe it) and then it'll be fine once turned back down until the next listening session, no matter how long it runs for.

Is it something that rewiring the driver would fix or maybe the internal crossover is bad? Just not sure why it only wakes up or responds to really loud volumes. Also if anyone has any advice on taking this speaker apart, or resources out there, it'd be much appreciated!
post #3372 of 3377 Old 03-26-2020, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanquiuxo View Post
I have a weird issue and thought this thread, although not frequently traveled, may be able to assist. May be more of a general/technical speaker question than a Boston Acoustic-specific question.

I have a pair of BA VR965 tower speakers, and have a peculiar issue where if the speakers aren't in use for a while, one of the mid range drivers won't fire at all when music starts playing, so it's just the powered sub and tweeter firing. If I turn the volume way up, like to uncomfortable listening levels, it will somehow "wake" the driver up (best way I can describe it) and then it'll be fine once turned back down until the next listening session, no matter how long it runs for.

Is it something that rewiring the driver would fix or maybe the internal crossover is bad? Just not sure why it only wakes up or responds to really loud volumes. Also if anyone has any advice on taking this speaker apart, or resources out there, it'd be much appreciated!
Hi

It could be a lose wire connector to the driver or the wire from cone to spider. I would start there and see whats going on inside, should be simple to remove the driver just hold on to it as the like to fallout if your not ready on the last screw.
post #3373 of 3377 Old 05-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hey guys.

is anyone has faced "deep sound" pb with ASW250 sub..?
post #3374 of 3377 Old 05-09-2020, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_avs View Post
hey guys.

is anyone has faced "deep sound" pb with ASW250 sub..?
Can you try to rephrase the question? I don't think anyone understands.
post #3375 of 3377 Old 05-09-2020, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Can you try to rephrase the question? I don't think anyone understands.
Hey again..

a sound ( i cannot descrirbe it maybe called "deep sound" ) is coming from subwoofer during standby..actually this sound is always on but i cannot hear it when i watch the movie.. but on standby it is really disturbing..is it normal or sth wrong with my sub..?
post #3376 of 3377 Old 05-11-2020, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_avs View Post
Hey again..

a sound ( i cannot descrirbe it maybe called "deep sound" ) is coming from subwoofer during standby..actually this sound is always on but i cannot hear it when i watch the movie.. but on standby it is really disturbing..is it normal or sth wrong with my sub..?
Sounds like a hum albeit a loud one. unplug it and turn the knobs on the back both directions as it may be a sticking pot. Also plug and unplug the sub cable a few times as it may need replacing if bad.
post #3377 of 3377 Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what does anyone think of upgrading the vr12 with the tweeter from a vrc? Now that BA is no more what is anyone else looking at. Stepping into Atmos but was thinking of picking up some vrm-50s for the Atmos height. Still running vr3 front LR, vrc, vr2 rears (would love to get some more vr3 for the rears may then set the vr2s as sides) any thoughts especially interested in what you have to say SteveCallas. This was all prompted by my receiver upgrade went from my old Denon to a Yamaha tsr-7850, what a musical, powerful, and beautiful sounding receiver. So much better than my old Denon. Made me fall in love with my Boston's all over again. Gave me the itch again

Last edited by TheLoverings; Yesterday at 07:10 AM. Reason: Adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Boston Acoustics Brand , Boston Acoustics , Boston Acoustics E40 , Boston Acoustics Vr Mc , Boston Acoustics Powered Subwoofer Asw250 , Boston Acoustics Asw650 10 Inch Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page