Energy Owners Thread - Page 1436 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 549Likes

post #43051 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaudiophile View Post

Trying out the RC-70s. Nice sound so far. Still in the break-in period. Any suggestions on the optimal placement of those speaker? Facing straight into the room or turn slightly facing the center of the room? Currently about 6 1/2' apart

Mine are toed in, and the distance between my speakers is about 9'. But you need to take into account your own room dimensions, distance to main seating position and distance behind the speakers to the wall, among other factors.

You can find tons of info here:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/824554/setting-up-your-home-theater-101 (scroll down to "Speaker Layout")

and here:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/#5.1
http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/71.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43052 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 4901 Post(s)
Liked: 5275
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

I'm thinking about using some of the Veritas 5.2s I just purchased as heights for DSX/PLiiz....anybody who has mounted heights; what type of brackets are you using if you mounted in a corner? I've got a great spot directly in the corner up at the ceiling that is almost perfectly on axis with what Audyssey recommends....but have no idea how to mount a speaker catacorner.

Those would be BIG ass height speakers, I'm not sure any traditional mounting option is going to be suitable for a speaker of that size and weight. Would you be mounting them vertically? There are big heavy duty speaker mounts out there that "clamp" the speaker from the bottom and sides that would probably work.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40B-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002UV03MW

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #43053 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Those would be BIG ass height speakers, I'm not sure any traditional mounting option is going to be suitable for a speaker of that size and weight. Would you be mounting them vertically? There are big heavy duty speaker mounts out there that "clamp" the speaker from the bottom and sides that would probably work.
Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40B-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002UV03MW

Those would be REALLY BIG height speakers lol.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43054 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

They would definitely be mounted vertically if I decided to use the 5.2s for heights. Thx for the link; I couldn't find anything that would hold more than 15 lbs! Though it looks like those can't be corner mounted without fabricating a piece of mounting wood into the corner....but I suppose it could just be mounted flush to one of the walls and pivot out to the correct angle.

Avarice
post #43055 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Made a trip to my local Fry's (south Phoenix) for work today, so I had to check on the RC-70 display. The left one wasn't even hooked up, and the room they were in had some Polks playing (against an adjacent wall). So what to do? Hook the RC-70's up proper and make sure they sounded their best of course! Too bad the Polk wall had the better receiver, but at least when I left the room, the 70's were cranking out some fine sounding Tool (courtesy of KUPD) at a descent volume. smile.gif

System I | Sony 75Z9D | Oppo BDP-203 and 103D | ATV5 | Energy Veritas 1.8 (LR) | 2.0 (C) | 2.0R (S+SB) | Mirage OMD-5 (FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | MX-A5000 x 2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP | Panamax Power 360 Strip
System II | Sony 75Z9D | ATV5 | Yamaha RX-A1070 | NAD T973 | Mirage OMD-28, OMD C2, OMD-5 | SVS PB12+/2
post #43056 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallerie View Post

Oh.....also, I would try to find a way to spread out your fronts more. They look way to close together. I think that would make a bigger difference than an RC-70 for the center.
The speaker on the left is normally the same distance from the TV as the speaker on the right which puts about 8' between the speakers and 11'-12' to the couch. I had to move it to accommodate the Christmas tree, which is also why the grill is on one, but not the other...
post #43057 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well terrible luck on the 3 x 5.2's. Not one but TWO came with bad tweeters. I thought my receiver had a bad channel. I was listening to stereo and noticed the left treble was way off. It was kind of working but nothing like the right. So then I swapped the center with it and it was the same thing. I changed the input, clipped and re-spliced the wires, and double checked the positive/negative. I finally swapped out the right and left and realized those two were bad on any channel and the other was good on any channel. I looked and all 3 had marks and dents on the tweeters, the two bad ones were worse.

The outer boxes were really banged up but the inner boxes looked okay and looked like they were new from the manufacturer. I'm going to send all three back for replacements. The one good one sounded amazing so I want to still give them a try.
post #43058 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

Well terrible luck on the 3 x 5.2's. Not one but TWO came with bad tweeters. I thought my receiver had a bad channel. I was listening to stereo and noticed the left treble was way off. It was kind of working but nothing like the right. So then I swapped the center with it and it was the same thing. I changed the input, clipped and re-spliced the wires, and double checked the positive/negative. I finally swapped out the right and left and realized those two were bad on any channel and the other was good on any channel. I looked and all 3 had marks and dents on the tweeters, the two bad ones were worse.
The outer boxes were really banged up but the inner boxes looked okay and looked like they were new from the manufacturer. I'm going to send all three back for replacements. The one good one sounded amazing so I want to still give them a try.
That sucks. You won't have to pay the return shipping I hope...?
post #43059 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up...I'll be checking mine thoroughly when they show up frown.gif

Avarice
post #43060 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

That sucks. You won't have to pay the return shipping I hope...?

I shouldn't since they are defective. I paid through amazon checkout as well.
post #43061 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mine are all fine, i think. i will recheck tomorrow or friday. reran audyssey and still on the fence which i like better. the three v5.2 or rc-10 and lcr. the onkyo 709 sets tyhe sub (a7s-450) at 90hz and the fronts and center at 40hz. this is for 50/50 music and movies. i raised the front and center to 60hz, i have to let them break in and play a little. i know batpig and all the things in the faq thread suggest to set to 80hz. . i will probably keep the veritas and sell the rc10 & lcr. i should be able to recoup 450$ out of the 510$
post #43062 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeppelin75 View Post

Same thing happend to me, i couldn't pay with a panamenian CC so i had to pay via Amazon. I have an amazon account so.

How did you apply the promo code on Amazon.com? I don't see an option, except one sketchy box that didn't accept it.

Also I tried calling WWStereo and they wouldn't even process the order over the phone. I did find a last resort but it will cost me 17 in fees (oh well not that bad).
post #43063 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
Quote:
i will probably keep the veritas and sell the rc10 & lcr. i should be able to recoup 450$ out of the 510$

You may get all $510 of your money back by selling the RC LCR and RC-10. Maybe more.
$300 easily for the LCR if in good shape. $225 or so for the RC-10. Nobody has the RC-10 for sale and the LCR's start around $400.

Afro GT
post #43064 of 55806 Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You may get all $510 of your money back by selling the RC LCR and RC-10. Maybe more.
$300 easily for the LCR if in good shape. $225 or so for the RC-10. Nobody has the RC-10 for sale and the LCR's start around $400.

Was seriously considering selling my LCR (only used for 2 movies) for $200....hahah didn't think it was worth much

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #43065 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 AM

Just recieved my 3x veritas 5.2's and got'em setup. I loved how they came with little white gloves to keep from smudging the gloss job, classy. Anyways, just wanted to bounce some stuff off you guys. I read a suggestion to set the speaker size to small and crossover to 80hz. What is the downside of running the L/C/R SPs as large? I still have RC micros as the surrounds so I would like to leave the crossover @ 120+. Also, what is the typical break in period for these kind of speakers and at what volume should I run it at? Thanks!

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V665
L/C/R SPs: Veritas 5.2c
SL/SR: RC-Micro Sats
Sub: ESW-CS8
post #43066 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rick View Post

Just recieved my 3x veritas 5.2's and got'em setup. I loved how they came with little white gloves to keep from smudging the gloss job, classy. Anyways, just wanted to bounce some stuff off you guys. I read a suggestion to set the speaker size to small and crossover to 80hz. What is the downside of running the L/C/R SPs as large? I still have RC micros as the surrounds so I would like to leave the crossover @ 120+. Also, what is the typical break in period for these kind of speakers and at what volume should I run it at? Thanks!
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V665
L/C/R SPs: Veritas 5.2c
SL/SR: RC-Micro Sats
Sub: ESW-CS8

When running the speakers as large you are basically not using any bass management at all. When set to small with a cross over, lets says 80hz, anything that is below 80hz in that channel is sent to the subwoofer instead. Easier on the amp too biggrin.gif While the speaker could probably play low, it probably can't play it at reasonable SPL so just send that stuff off to the more capable subwoofer.

Also where the speaker is placed may be good for imaging but not likely the same for bass.

Regarding crossover settings, if your Yamaha has YPAO room correction try running that to see what is the best crossover setting for your room. Every room is different so sometimes the 80hz recommended (not sure where it came from) may not be good for that room. You want the crossover to be at the point where the speaker and the subwoofer can play that frequency equally. So basically when you run a low to high sweep, you should NOT be able to tell when it switches from the subwoofer to the speakers.

In my room, my (im MY honest opinion/Bias) Really REALLY nice Atlantic Techs, WHICH i know can play low, had to be crossovered at 120hz. (Double checked it with REW).

Now queing batpig to come in and give a better more detailed response biggrin.gif ...3...2....1.....BATPIG!

post #43067 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 611
OK Canadians, the RC-70s are already down to $400 each at futureshop. If you bought at $500 in the past weeks, time for a refund. Else... Very little chance the price will get lower now.

post #43068 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I shouldn't since they are defective. I paid through amazon checkout as well.

Jesus Christ mine arrived today in Miami, now i have to wait for my P.O. box company to ship it to Panama, should get them next week. Just pray that none are defective, would be a pain in the ass to ship back to Indianapolis all the way from Panama.
post #43069 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

How did you apply the promo code on Amazon.com? I don't see an option, except one sketchy box that didn't accept it.
Also I tried calling WWStereo and they wouldn't even process the order over the phone. I did find a last resort but it will cost me 17 in fees (oh well not that bad).

Well the website let me put in the promo code before i paid via Amazon.com.
post #43070 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeppelin75 View Post

Well the website let me put in the promo code before i paid via Amazon.com.

Sorry, which website? Could you explain the process you went through please?
post #43071 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

WWstereo was cool about taking them back. They want to file a claim with UPS so I have to take apart everything again and take pictures. That is a real pain because I double boxed everything again and sealed them. I went ahead and just paid for another set so I will get them quicker because they wont refund until they get them and that means a long turn around. Oh well this stuff happens. With all the online shopping I do I hardly ever get an issue.
post #43072 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Hi everyone. Don't mean to hijack this thread. I'm a newbie here and was hoping someone could tell me if they have any experience with the Energy EAS-6C in-ceiling speakers? They're on sale at FS for $99/pair. Was thinking of grabbing some to use for whole-home audio. Any thoughts?
post #43073 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advil_yum View Post

That's odd. I've purchased from them twice in the past. For my RC-50's and ESW-V10. No issues with Canadian Credit cards? I don't specifically remember how I paid though, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't anywhere but directly through them. What if you call them up?
Actually, I just looked it up, and I had to call them to order as the website didn't allow it. But there shouldn't be a problem getting them if you call. Good luck!

I just called to try and order three of these and they said they wouldn't/couldn't sell to a Canadian credit card. I really want to pick up a set. I guess I'll try to get an amazon card or something. Unless you can tell me the right way to do it.

I currently have two rc-70s up front with a pioneer vsx-1326k receiver (and some crappy surrounds and Center that I want to replace). Should I be trying to place these veritas speakers with this system? I was thinking of putting one as a Center and two for my rears. Or I could use the 70s as the rears and the 5.2s across the front. Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome. I'm just getting into the decent HT systems.

Cheers.
post #43074 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080pee View Post

Sorry, which website? Could you explain the process you went through please?

Really straightforward process.

1.click on this link for the V5.2C
http://www.wwstereo.com/Energy/V5.2CPIANB

2. Add to cart and change quantity to 3 if you want 3 speakers.

3. Add promo code VER52WW and click APPLY

4. At bottom of page under checkout you'll see the discounted order total and the option to Pay With Amazon. Click on it.

5. It takes you to the Amazon logon and you fill out your info and you're done.

Afro GT
post #43075 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Awesome. That was easy! Done and done. Three en route!!
Thanks so much !
post #43076 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM

Afrogt said it best. Enjoy your Veritas NathanG30, i know i will mine once i get them.
post #43077 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

WWstereo was cool about taking them back. They want to file a claim with UPS so I have to take apart everything again and take pictures. That is a real pain because I double boxed everything again and sealed them. I went ahead and just paid for another set so I will get them quicker because they wont refund until they get them and that means a long turn around. Oh well this stuff happens. With all the online shopping I do I hardly ever get an issue.

So it was mainly a case of UPS mishandling the boxes doing a bad transport job. Ufff. At least WWstereo were cool about taking them back.
post #43078 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Was seriously considering selling my LCR (only used for 2 movies) for $200....hahah didn't think it was worth much

You DO want to sell your LCR for $200..... tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
erhurd likes this.

Avarice
post #43079 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM

You're a boss afrog, thanks. I didn't see that Amazon link the first time.
post #43080 of 55806 Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM

It's too late now...since I've ordered them... but, what do you guys think, the three 5.2s up front with Rc-70s in the back or two 5.2s in the rear?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page