Energy Owners Thread - Page 1859 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 537Likes

post #55741 of 55774 Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked: 5184
None of those.

The first listing are Pro 22's, the Reference Connoisseur 22's were from the same era but they were the much higher end version. (and, incidentally, that listing is the one I've mentioned that has been on Craigslist without budging in price for over a decade!)

The latter two (22.2 and 22.3) were high end speakers from the (I think) early 90's, from the same generation as the "e series" which johnb mentioned above.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55742 of 55774 Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
take 5 system
post #55743 of 55774 Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

The two ebay links were later offerings from Energy (early 90s I think) which I don't know much about but aren't as highly regarded as the ref-con 22s. As far as I know, the only speaker Energy ever made before the ref-con 22s was the Energy One/Two/Three models which are even more rare, but don't seem to have much of a reputation either.
Those ebay link ones look very similar to the 'e' series speakers I have / had. I believe those are higher end ones than what I had though. Similar (very interesting) woofers I think were stitched / inverted.
Very nice silk dome tweeters too, if I recall correctly.

I very much liked the sound of them and if back then I had room for all the speakers I had up to that point, I would have kept the entire 'e' setup as well.

Edit: I noticed batpig already mentioned the 'e' series, whoops! Definitely worth checking out if someone is interested in that era though.

Last edited by johnb4467; 09-20-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55744 of 55774 Old 09-23-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, long time follower, but new poster. I just won the fleabay auction for the RC-LCR speaker tonite. It does not include the foam port plug, so I was wondering the best way to get a set. Any ideas where to locate some new old stock , or just try to make my own? Thanks
post #55745 of 55774 Old 09-23-2019, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Some RC-70s just posted on eBay with boxes and the seller will ship.

I just bought 3 NIB pair so I don’t need to buy these ones!😁

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #55746 of 55774 Old 09-24-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlnixon View Post
Hello, long time follower, but new poster. I just won the fleabay auction for the RC-LCR speaker tonite. It does not include the foam port plug, so I was wondering the best way to get a set. Any ideas where to locate some new old stock , or just try to make my own? Thanks
Some people use a sock.

I’m willing to bet someone on here will have an extra for you.

Keep patient and keep checking back!

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #55747 of 55774 Old 09-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will be happy to pay a reasonable cost and shipping, if anyone has a pair.
post #55748 of 55774 Old 09-26-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I will be happy to pay a reasonable cost and shipping, if anyone has a pair.
I have several pair of extra RC-70 port plugs... but they obviously compress and fit just fine in the RC-LCR as well... drop me a PM if interested...
post #55749 of 55774 Old 09-26-2019, 07:04 AM

Thanks, Deano. PM sent
post #55750 of 55774 Old 09-26-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Quote:
I have several pair of extra RC-70 port plugs... but they obviously compress and fit just fine in the RC-LCR as well... drop me a PM if interested...
Quote:
Thanks, Deano. PM sent
What a great forum. 🙂

Glad you stopped by!

post #55751 of 55774 Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...m_medium=email

The one that got away

Veritas 1.8s in rosenut for $500. A 4 hour drive for me, but couldn't get there soon enough because of work.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...985718107.html

Not sure what is going on here, but I found my 2+ year old post for a pair of $500 V1.8s that I wasn't fast enough to snag. The ad was marked sold, then the same speakers were re-listed a few months later for $1500 which really frustrated me (not sure if they sold again at $1500 or not). Now they are listed a third time for $1100 and the current ad is using the same picture from the original ad from over 2 years ago. I emailed the seller and got a response about the mark on top of one of them so they are certainly the same speakers.

Last edited by brendelac; 09-26-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #55752 of 55774 Old 09-26-2019, 05:50 PM

Don't see these up for sale too often!!!

RARE Veritas In-walls!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Veri...rd!85226!US!-1

post #55753 of 55774 Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/cit...ers/1455636640

I don't think I've ever seen someone from eastern Canada post on here before, but a good deal for the potential lurkers I guess:

RC-mini (rosenut) x2
RC-mini-C (rosenut)
RC-70 (maybe RC-50) x2
S8.3 subwoofer
non-HDMI hardon karmon AVR

$600cdn ($453usd)
post #55754 of 55774 Old 09-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/cit...ers/1455636640

I don't think I've ever seen someone from eastern Canada post on here before, but a good deal for the potential lurkers I guess:

RC-mini (rosenut) x2
RC-mini-C (rosenut)
RC-70 (maybe RC-50) x2
S8.3 subwoofer
non-HDMI hardon karmon AVR

$600cdn ($453usd)
Can anyone list in order the different lines of Energy speakers before they were bought out, from best to worst. I know of the Veritas, connoisseur, refewrence connoisseur, e-xl lines. Also familiar with the take 5. Also what years the different lines were made. I have some 2.1e's from late 80s, a pair of exl28p's from 2005, a cc1 center, an exl center, 2 s10.3 subs, an AS90 sub. Thanks in advance for the help.
post #55755 of 55774 Old 09-28-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post
Can anyone list in order the different lines of Energy speakers before they were bought out, from best to worst. I know of the Veritas, connoisseur, refewrence connoisseur, e-xl lines. Also familiar with the take 5. Also what years the different lines were made. I have some 2.1e's from late 80s, a pair of exl28p's from 2005, a cc1 center, an exl center, 2 s10.3 subs, an AS90 sub. Thanks in advance for the help.
Are you asking for every series that Energy ever made or just what was available when Klipsch took over?
post #55756 of 55774 Old 09-28-2019, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked: 5184
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post
Very tough question as Energy made a LOT of speakers over the years. Especially entry level speakers and sub/sat systems. Also creating a definitive ranking from best to worst is going to be controversial. But I'll take a stab (note that I haven't heard all these, just summarizing what I think is a reasonably broad consensus, having been on this thread for over a decade).

TL;DR

- Best ever for no-holds-barred 2ch audiophile = original Veritas V1.8 / V2.8 (although the V2.8 needs a BIG room)
- Best ever for modern multichannel home theater with audiophile chops = Veritas i-series
- Most practical (but still awesome sounding) choice for modern multichannel home theater, especially if you care about contemporary aesthetics = RC series
- Best value for the bargain hunter with champagne taste on a beer budget = odd-number Connoisseur series
- Want premium sound + great looks in a tiny package and fairly cheap used? Watch out for the RC-Mini's

The Top Tier Flagship Models

The original Veritas speakers (V1.8 and V2.8) from the 90's would probably be considered the best speakers Energy ever made, without much controversy. They are legendary. Some long-time audio reviewers consider them their reference 2ch speaker like this dude. They are also huge, pretty close to full-range speakers (although you need real amps to drive them) and I don't think I've ever heard a criticism of them, other than these are strictly 2ch and there is no matching center or surround option.

The original Reference Connoisseur 22 from the 80's discussed recently is more like a unicorn, I've never had the pleasure to hear those original Pro 22 and RC 22 generation speakers, I've read some who feel they are still the best sounding speaker (although, IMO, it seems unlikely that they are an objectively better speaker than the V1.8 or V2.8 which had the benefit of so much more engineering and science behind their design). But these old models had a serious flaw in that their tweeters go bad, IIRC because the ferrofluid dries out. When this happens the tweeter is toast and needs to be replaced or rebuilt, and that's only going to get more difficult as time rolls on.

The 2nd gen Veritas (V2.4, V2.3, V2.2 etc) from the 2000's are probably considered sonically to be nearly as good (potentially better, depending who you ask) vs the originals. They are a more modern looking speaker that are designed to be more "living room friendly" than the V1.8/V2.8, and are Energy's first flagship with a full "home theater" lineup (matching towers, bookshelfs, center, surrounds, in-walls, etc.). There are many reviews online of these models if you google a bit.

Unfortunately, the first run of these had a couple of really embarrassing design flaws. In terms of build/aesthetics, the soft rubber caps would get really gross over time, and the wood veneer laminate side panels would warp and peel away from the cabinet eventually. But, more crucially, there was a fatal flaw with the woofer design that would nearly guarantee it would fail within a few years (google "Veritas frozen woofer" for some fun bedtime reading). To address these huge problems, Energy within 2-3 years issued a revised "i series" which was basically the same speaker with the problems fixed, and the bonus of a much nicer smooth one-piece grill design (vs the awkward "bump-out" look of the original grills).

IMO - For the typical dude who is looking to go after the "flagship" Energy product for a practical, real world home theater setup, the Veritas i-series is the best bet. They are recent enough to have modern-decor-friendly aesthetics and (relative to other flagship models) available on the used market, are durable (unlike the non-i models), arguably sound as good as any speaker Energy ever made, and of huge practical benefit for a home theater setup they are easier to drive then the older models (higher sensitivity) and come in a variety of shapes and sized for different applications (tower, bookshelf, etc). The only real flaw is the center channel, for which they got lazy and used a poor horizontal layout with a "2-1/2 way crossover", with just a tweeter between two woofers and completely left out the midrange on the 3-way vertical models. It's somewhat of a mind-boggling design decision for a company that advocated the advantages of their "convergent source" mid+tweeter array, they could have plopped that vertical mid/tweeter on the center and fixed a ton of flaws of horizontal center channels. Oh well.

That said, for a serious 2ch enthusiast with a nice sized, dedicated room who wants the biggest, baddest speakers Energy ever made... you'd probably want to keep your eyes on the used market for a pair of V1.8 (or, if a large room, the V2.8). Although I would put money that in a blind test vs a pair of V2.2i monitors paired with a nice sub, you may be surprised by the results....

The Premium-but-not-Flagship Honorable Mentions

The Reference Connoisseur models of the late 2000's were the last "true" premium Energy speakers. They aren't flagship models, so don't sound quite as good as the Veritas i-series, but they are still really excellent speakers with outstanding objective measurements. They also are arguably the best looking speakers Energy ever made in the stunning real wood Rosenut and Cherry veneers with the brushed aluminum baskets, IMHO they look much more sleek and modern and even "timeless" vs the 2nd gen Veritas which are right on the cusp of looking a bit "dated". (It says something that Klipsch kept the exact same aesthetics for their "fake Veritas" line they put out after buying Energy, and KLH has essentially replicated them again with their "reborn" new lineup).

IMO, the RC series is one of the very best used market values out there for someone who wants to build a really good looking, living room friendly home theater setup setup. They are only about a decade old, so recent enough to be widely available on the used market but still have modern engineering and aesthetics, and as a "modern" HT speaker are designed to pair well with mid level gear. They are available in all shapes and sizes, including the very underrated RC-Mini models. They are much, much more common on the used market than the 2nd-gen Veritas but sound 80% as good (at least). And, because of the demise of Energy the brand, they are available (relatively) cheap used.

AND, as an added bonus, the RC-LCR center is a really good design with the diagonal mid-tweeter-mid array which allows it to avoid the typical flaws of horizontal centers. In fact, for a dedicated HT with the LCR speakers hidden behind a screen, I'd argue a trio of vertical RC-LCR would be hard to beat.

If you don't mind the space-age silver baffles, the "odd number Connoisseurs" are by most accounts nearly as good as the RC series, which they directly preceded in the early 2000's. They are also widely available on the used market, very cheap relative to their performance, are easy to drive with good sensitivity, and come in all sorts of shapes and sized. A patient used market bargain hunter could assemble a really awesome sounding HT setup for less than $1,000 quite easily hunting these models. Note the original center (C-C1) is mediocre, whereas the updated C-C3 is the originator of the design for the RC-LCR and is far superior.

There are also a number of other very good 2nd tier (i.e. below the flagship) speaker lines from earlier generations... but IMO these aren't as practical to collect other than as collector curiosities or random bargain finds due to age, scarcity, etc. There's the "even number Connosseurs" of the mid/late 90's which preceded the odd-number C's, along with the AC-300 center/LCR/monitor and bipolar tower "Audissey" line from that era. These were basically the premium lineup below the 1st gen Veritas. Then, in the early 90's there was the mid-level e-Series and the strangely-rare-and-unknown semi-flagship 22.2 and 22.3 models (which seem to be souped-up e-Series models with really nice cabinets), but IIRC this generation shares the same tweeter with the 22's from the 80's and as such may eventually suffer tweeter failure.

The Entry Level Stuff

There were many entry-level lines over the decades. Many of them still sound quite good. A very loose chronology, won't talk about these since not worth the effort:

- Early 1990's = Pro series (entry level) / e-Series (mid level) / 22.2 and 22.3 (premium quasi-flagship)
- Mid/Late 1990's = e:XL series (entry level) / even-number Connoisseur (premium) / original Veritas (flagship)
- Early 2000's = updated XL series (entry level) / odd-number Connoisseur (premium) / 2nd gen Veritas non-i (flagship)
- Mid/Late 2000's = C series (entry level) / Reference Connoissuer (premium) / 2nd gen Veritas i-series (flagship)
nc88keyz, deano86, pvherm and 2 others like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!

Last edited by batpig; 09-28-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #55757 of 55774 Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Very tough question as Energy made a LOT of speakers over the years. Especially entry level speakers and sub/sat systems. Also creating a definitive ranking from best to worst is going to be controversial. But I'll take a stab (note that I haven't heard all these, just summarizing what I think is a reasonably broad consensus, having been on this thread for over a decade).

TL;DR

- Best ever for no-holds-barred 2ch audiophile = original Veritas V1.8 / V2.8 (although the V2.8 needs a BIG room)
- Best ever for modern multichannel home theater with audiophile chops = Veritas i-series
- Most practical (but still awesome sounding) choice for modern multichannel home theater, especially if you care about contemporary aesthetics = RC series
- Best value for the bargain hunter with champagne taste on a beer budget = odd-number Connoisseur series
- Want premium sound + great looks in a tiny package and fairly cheap used? Watch out for the RC-Mini's

The Top Tier Flagship Models

The original Veritas speakers (V1.8 and V2.8) from the 90's would probably be considered the best speakers Energy ever made, without much controversy. They are legendary. Some long-time audio reviewers consider them their reference 2ch speaker like this dude. They are also huge, pretty close to full-range speakers (although you need real amps to drive them) and I don't think I've ever heard a criticism of them, other than these are strictly 2ch and there is no matching center or surround option.

The original Reference Connoisseur 22 from the 80's discussed recently is more like a unicorn, I've never had the pleasure to hear those original Pro 22 and RC 22 generation speakers, I've read some who feel they are still the best sounding speaker (although, IMO, it seems unlikely that they are an objectively better speaker than the V1.8 or V2.8 which had the benefit of so much more engineering and science behind their design). But these old models had a serious flaw in that their tweeters go bad, IIRC because the ferrofluid dries out. When this happens the tweeter is toast and needs to be replaced or rebuilt, and that's only going to get more difficult as time rolls on.

The 2nd gen Veritas (V2.4, V2.3, V2.2 etc) from the 2000's are probably considered sonically to be nearly as good (potentially better, depending who you ask) vs the originals. They are a more modern looking speaker that are designed to be more "living room friendly" than the V1.8/V2.8, and are Energy's first flagship with a full "home theater" lineup (matching towers, bookshelfs, center, surrounds, in-walls, etc.). There are many reviews online of these models if you google a bit.

Unfortunately, the first run of these had a couple of really embarrassing design flaws. In terms of build/aesthetics, the soft rubber caps would get really gross over time, and the wood veneer laminate side panels would warp and peel away from the cabinet eventually. But, more crucially, there was a fatal flaw with the woofer design that would nearly guarantee it would fail within a few years (google "Veritas frozen woofer" for some fun bedtime reading). To address these huge problems, Energy within 2-3 years issued a revised "i series" which was basically the same speaker with the problems fixed, and the bonus of a much nicer smooth one-piece grill design (vs the awkward "bump-out" look of the original grills).

IMO - For the typical dude who is looking to go after the "flagship" Energy product for a practical, real world home theater setup, the Veritas i-series is the best bet. They are recent enough to have modern-decor-friendly aesthetics and (relative to other flagship models) available on the used market, are durable (unlike the non-i models), arguably sound as good as any speaker Energy ever made, and of huge practical benefit for a home theater setup they are easier to drive then the older models (higher sensitivity) and come in a variety of shapes and sized for different applications (tower, bookshelf, etc). The only real flaw is the center channel, for which they got lazy and used a poor horizontal layout with a "2-1/2 way crossover", with just a tweeter between two woofers and completely left out the midrange on the 3-way vertical models. It's somewhat of a mind-boggling design decision for a company that advocated the advantages of their "convergent source" mid+tweeter array, they could have plopped that vertical mid/tweeter on the center and fixed a ton of flaws of horizontal center channels. Oh well.

That said, for a serious 2ch enthusiast with a nice sized, dedicated room who wants the biggest, baddest speakers Energy ever made... you'd probably want to keep your eyes on the used market for a pair of V1.8 (or, if a large room, the V2.8). Although I would put money that in a blind test vs a pair of V2.2i monitors paired with a nice sub, you may be surprised by the results....

The Premium-but-not-Flagship Honorable Mentions

The Reference Connoisseur models of the late 2000's were the last "true" premium Energy speakers. They aren't flagship models, so don't sound quite as good as the Veritas i-series, but they are still really excellent speakers with outstanding objective measurements. They also are arguably the best looking speakers Energy ever made in the stunning real wood Rosenut and Cherry veneers with the brushed aluminum baskets, IMHO they look much more sleek and modern and even "timeless" vs the 2nd gen Veritas which are right on the cusp of looking a bit "dated". (It says something that Klipsch kept the exact same aesthetics for their "fake Veritas" line they put out after buying Energy, and KLH has essentially replicated them again with their "reborn" new lineup).

IMO, the RC series is one of the very best used market values out there for someone who wants to build a really good looking, living room friendly home theater setup setup. They are only about a decade old, so recent enough to be widely available on the used market but still have modern engineering and aesthetics, and as a "modern" HT speaker are designed to pair well with mid level gear. They are available in all shapes and sizes, including the very underrated RC-Mini models. They are much, much more common on the used market than the 2nd-gen Veritas but sound 80% as good (at least). And, because of the demise of Energy the brand, they are available (relatively) cheap used.

AND, as an added bonus, the RC-LCR center is a really good design with the diagonal mid-tweeter-mid array which allows it to avoid the typical flaws of horizontal centers. In fact, for a dedicated HT with the LCR speakers hidden behind a screen, I'd argue a trio of vertical RC-LCR would be hard to beat.

If you don't mind the space-age silver baffles, the "odd number Connoisseurs" are by most accounts nearly as good as the RC series, which they directly preceded in the early 2000's. They are also widely available on the used market, very cheap relative to their performance, are easy to drive with good sensitivity, and come in all sorts of shapes and sized. A patient used market bargain hunter could assemble a really awesome sounding HT setup for less than $1,000 quite easily hunting these models. Note the original center (C-C1) is mediocre, whereas the updated C-C3 is the originator of the design for the RC-LCR and is far superior.

There are also a number of other very good 2nd tier (i.e. below the flagship) speaker lines from earlier generations... but IMO these aren't as practical to collect other than as collector curiosities or random bargain finds due to age, scarcity, etc. There's the "even number Connosseurs" of the mid/late 90's which preceded the odd-number C's, along with the AC-300 center/LCR/monitor and bipolar tower "Audissey" line from that era. These were basically the premium lineup below the 1st gen Veritas. Then, in the early 90's there was the mid-level e-Series and the strangely-rare-and-unknown semi-flagship 22.2 and 22.3 models (which seem to be souped-up e-Series models with really nice cabinets), but IIRC this generation shares the same tweeter with the 22's from the 80's and as such may eventually suffer tweeter failure.

The Entry Level Stuff

There were many entry-level lines over the decades. Many of them still sound quite good. A very loose chronology, won't talk about these since not worth the effort:

- Early 1990's = Pro series (entry level) / e-Series (mid level) / 22.2 and 22.3 (premium quasi-flagship)
- Mid/Late 1990's = e:XL series (entry level) / even-number Connoisseur (premium) / original Veritas (flagship)
- Early 2000's = updated XL series (entry level) / odd-number Connoisseur (premium) / 2nd gen Veritas non-i (flagship)
- Mid/Late 2000's = C series (entry level) / Reference Connoissuer (premium) / 2nd gen Veritas i-series (flagship)
Thank you so much for all the info. Bought my first 2.1e bookshelves in 91 I think (for rear (B) speakers, had Advent 6003s as my front stage, paired later with a AS90 sub that died a few years later after a lightning strike near the house (also lost my Yamaha 595A receiver). Then in 2005 bought a pair of ex-l28p's (wood grain, cherry veneer?) from the Energy scratch and dent website for $550 a pair delivered. Still using these. Don't know why they were on the S&D site, they look perfect. 2005 also bought the xlc center (in storage now), currently have a connoisseur CC1 center. Now have 2 s10.3 subs up front, one JBL 10" in middle of room and a Dayton 12" in the back of room. What i have now I DO enjoy. Using Polk OWM3's as surrounds, and Polk RC60I's (4) for atmos.
My kids are almost out of college, last one graduates in May next year, SO, thinking about upgrading my gear as it's my only true passion (music and home theater). Thinking of better Energies as i have always liked the sound, or possibly something like RBH. Have heard great reviews, same to be and excellent value, and can audition them in MY room and send them back if i decide not to purchase. Using a Marantz 6011 receiver (9 channel amp, 11 channel processing) and an Audiosource Amp100 to drive the additional 2 channels. As I have a 7.x.4 atmos setup now. Will probable upgrade to a better amp to drive the front stage, something like an Adcom 545/555. Had Adcom and NAD amps years ago but sold them off after i bought my first home theater AVR that didn't have RCA preouts.
Also thinking about upgrading my subs, possibly going with (2) SVS PC2000s, and selling the other 4 subs i have now (this was a recommendation the the guys at AVRant podcast). But will first buy a UMIK1 and mini dsp2x4hd and use REW and try and dial in the subs i have now to see if i can get better more uniform bass across all seating areas (cheaper that 2 new PC2000s). I'm fairly happy with the subs i have now but get nothing below 28-30 HZ, PC2000s with do down below 20Hz easily.
My room is not the easiest space to work with. Big L shaped room, 26x11 portion is the home theater/music area, and 19x11 portion is office/media storage area. Eventually will upgrade to a 4k projector, using a Benq HT2050 1080P now with a 110" screen. Movies are 80% of room use, music is 20%. Quite honestly not sure if upgrading speakers is worth while with the extra time/effort/money since i don't do a lot of critical music listening any more. But it's all in good fun and i can always sell the gear or give it to my sons.
Again, thanks for the above info. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Always enjoy chatting with a fellow enthusiast.
post #55758 of 55774 Old 09-29-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
New Energy owner....for now. :)

I know when it comes to Energy speakers, the box of (Connoisseur) Take Classic 5.1 is probably bottom-of-the-barrel, but for $120 I couldn't even find a decent sub.

The reason for the Craigslist purchase is that I'm putting together an "economical" 5.1 system for one of my cousins as a gift. He's a single guy of 65 who does everything he can to help disadvantaged minority youth, even adopting a 15 yr old (now a 19 yr old high school grad, with honors.) He's been my go-to guy for building PC's for me too, and is always there when I need tech support.

All I need now is a cheap AVR with HDMI so his son can hook up his PS4, and perhaps a cheap original Bluesound Node N100 with a USB drive loaded-up with music. They have nothing but the TV speakers for video, and a set of cheap plastic speakers at his main computer desk.

This should give him a good start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Energy_Take_Classic_5-1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	2621584  
nc88keyz and Magellan55 like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #55759 of 55774 Old 09-29-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I know when it comes to Energy speakers, the box of (Connoisseur) Take Classic 5.1 is probably bottom-of-the-barrel, but for $120 I couldn't even find a decent sub.

The reason for the Craigslist purchase is that I'm putting together an "economical" 5.1 system for one of my cousins as a gift. He's a single guy of 65 who does everything he can to help disadvantaged minority youth, even adopting a 15 yr old (now a 19 yr old high school grad, with honors.) He's been my go-to guy for building PC's for me too, and is always there when I need tech support.

All I need now is a cheap AVR with HDMI so his son can hook up his PS4, and perhaps a cheap original Bluesound Node N100 with a USB drive loaded-up with music. They have nothing but the TV speakers for video, and a set of cheap plastic speakers at his main computer desk.

This should give him a good start.
Kudos to you, my dude!

Take 5 is so not even close to bottom of the barrel--quite the opposite actually! They are one of the highest rated mini sets ever!

I am buying a used set for my assistant this week as he has a receiver but no surround sound!
KenM10759 likes this.

post #55760 of 55774 Old 09-29-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Kudos to you, my dude!

Take 5 is so not even close to bottom of the barrel--quite the opposite actually! They are one of the highest rated mini sets ever!

I am buying a used set for my assistant this week as he has a receiver but no surround sound!
Thanks! I hope they work well as it's all I can afford now that I took a low-stress but lower-paying job. I hadn't found but two 'professional' reviews of them...on CNET and Sound & Vision. Looks like the common street price of the set when new (2009?) was around $400, so I figured $120 was a fair price for mint-condition in original box.

I didn't see anything specific about them on the list above, so had to depend upon the CNET and Sound & Vision reviews. They seem to measure pretty good.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.

Last edited by KenM10759; 09-30-2019 at 05:15 AM.
post #55761 of 55774 Old 10-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Thanks! I hope they work well as it's all I can afford now that I took a low-stress but lower-paying job. I hadn't found but two 'professional' reviews of them...on CNET and Sound & Vision. Looks like the common street price of the set when new (2009?) was around $400, so I figured $120 was a fair price for mint-condition in original box.
I paid $300 for mine on Amazon, and felt that was cheap for what you get. They don't sound good for 2 channel content - those little 3" "woofers" just can't fill in a room with midrange. But play it in Dolby surround mode and the other speakers add just enough heft to make music sound OK. For movies IMO they sound fine unless you want to play really loud, but they aren't that efficient so you need an AVR with some power. and i have to say when I did an A:B comparison between the Take 8" sub and my new SB2000's, I could barely tell a difference! And the piano black finish is pretty nice too. Just amazing how much speaker you get in that package.
KenM10759 likes this.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #55762 of 55774 Old 10-05-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
I paid $300 for mine on Amazon, and felt that was cheap for what you get. They don't sound good for 2 channel content - those little 3" "woofers" just can't fill in a room with midrange. But play it in Dolby surround mode and the other speakers add just enough heft to make music sound OK. For movies IMO they sound fine unless you want to play really loud, but they aren't that efficient so you need an AVR with some power. and i have to say when I did an A:B comparison between the Take 8" sub and my new SB2000's, I could barely tell a difference! And the piano black finish is pretty nice too. Just amazing how much speaker you get in that package.
They were so well received that monoprice blatently cloned them, and even made a mistake referencing their father brand in the manual! take five classic 5.1 was awesome! My first energy setup. I had the bug and had to keep upgrading as they became easily found. My dad replaced all his LCRs on both systems with the same after retiring some older infinity bookshelf speakers from circuit city. He was amazed at the difference in the front sound stage coming out of his wall unit , the other set we put on sat speaker stands. and center on the tv stand. Kept boston accoustics in the ceiling and side walls from the builder. It all sounds fine paired up with a AVR 2112ci on each level. There are a lot of great inexpensive dated avrs that do not do 4k that can be found for $100 or less. We got both of those denons from Acc4Lss at the time and they were a bargain with 6 hdmi 1080p osd , lan, and ci lan setup. When dad hits wrong button , its easy to log in and see whats going on over anydesk or teamviewer. We toy with the idea of a 4k avr, but he will never have the desire for atmos, and at 70+, while he has a 4k mid grade samsung 65 i got new in the box for 360 one year, 2015 model with hdr, I don't think he minds it at all. His other display is a 75 3d samsung 7 series that he got for free from a friend of mine. Honestly a 100 avr and those take classics will work great. I have seen an entire set that sat for over 2 months on marketplace for 79 with sub.

I thought about it but i cant use it anywhere, and i mean anywhere! Too many speakers. I am sitting on 4 veritas 2.2is, one walnut one piano, 2 sets of 2.3is piano black, 2 2.0ci i-series centers a 7.2 set of rc 70s, rclcr, rcr x 4, s10.3 x 3, s8.3, omni s12, 2 svs sb13 ultras, 4 rc6c ceilings, 2 rc6w new in box. 2 rc mini piano black, 3 veritas minic gloss black and three veritas 2.5i centers the LCR set.

At my mom's which will ultimately become mine again at some point, is 3 more veritas mini-c and 2 vertias mini, and a monoprice sub i think. one of the veritas v2.0i centers is basically parts as the top is cracked and it was picked up with the v2.3is (bought for drivers, parts) but fully functional and cosmetically sound. I have had the chance to pick up 2.4is over the years but ultimately pass because i think they are unnecessary. If i had the space for a nice 2.0 setup the 1.8s would be on my radar but I am likely going to take the RC setup and do an acoustic screen with projector at some point.

I also may take a set up v2.2i and split up as onesies on ebay later down the road. I really only need one, maybe 2. I bought one set in walnut and then came across the piano black ones for a great price, so before i had time to order vinyl wrap for the wooden one, the piano black ones arrived. As mentioned above the V2.2i is a great center match for the 2.3, 2.4s. If you can find one reasonably , i highly recommend it. The V2.0ci is a center that leave's you wondering if there could be more due to their design choices of the midrange, tweeter. I would love to see someone do a custom center using the 2.2 and fliping the midrange / tweeter 45 degrees. I'm surprised I haven't seen it to date.

I haven't bought anything besides energy since around 2012-2013 when this very forum turned me on to them. I upgraded from Athenas AF series, and before that had Infinity Crescendo series with a kappa center that had the matching E-mit tweeter. They reside in our church where my wife grew up with a projector and an old sony AVR. I hear they all need to be re-foamed and that is something i did not enjoy doing to some other inifinitys bookshelf speakers i had.

Edit: One more piece of energy history I possess is the following: New 2.4i woofer, It came with my 2.2 package from audiogon After looking up the parts i discovered, that it is for a 2.4i according the energy part list. The drivers inside of the 2.2s are the upgraded I series though. I have managed to stay clear of "frozen veritas syndrome" in my conquests.

Last edited by nc88keyz; 10-05-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #55763 of 55774 Old 10-05-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

I thought about it but i cant use it anywhere, and i mean anywhere! Too many speakers. I am sitting on 4 veritas 2.2is, one walnut one piano, 2 sets of 2.3is piano black, 2 2.0ci i-series centers a 7.2 set of rc 70s, rclcr, rcr x 4, s10.3 x 3, s8.3, omni s12, 2 svs sb13 ultras, 4 rc6c ceilings, 2 rc6w new in box. 2 rc mini piano black, 3 veritas minic gloss black and three veritas 2.5i centers the LCR set.

At my mom's which will ultimately become mine again at some point, is 3 more veritas mini-c and 2 vertias mini, and a monoprice sub i think. one of the veritas v2.0i centers is basically parts as the top is cracked and it was picked up with the v2.3is (bought for drivers, parts) but fully functional and cosmetically sound. I have had the chance to pick up 2.4is over the years but ultimately pass because i think they are unnecessary. If i had the space for a nice 2.0 setup the 1.8s would be on my radar but I am likely going to take the RC setup and do an acoustic screen with projector at some point.

I also may take a set up v2.2i and split up as onesies on ebay later down the road. I really only need one, maybe 2. I bought one set in walnut and then came across the piano black ones for a great price, so before i had time to order vinyl wrap for the wooden one, the piano black ones arrived. As mentioned above the V2.2i is a great center match for the 2.3, 2.4s. If you can find one reasonably , i highly recommend it. The V2.0ci is a center that leave's you wondering if there could be more due to their design choices of the midrange, tweeter. I would love to see someone do a custom center using the 2.2 and fliping the midrange / tweeter 45 degrees. I'm surprised I haven't seen it to date.

I haven't bought anything besides energy since around 2012-2013 when this very forum turned me on to them. I upgraded from Athenas AF series, and before that had Infinity Crescendo series with a kappa center that had the matching E-mit tweeter. They reside in our church where my wife grew up with a projector and an old sony AVR. I hear they all need to be re-foamed and that is something i did not enjoy doing to some other inifinitys bookshelf speakers i had.

Edit: One more piece of energy history I possess is the following: New 2.4i woofer, It came with my 2.2 package from audiogon After looking up the parts i discovered, that it is for a 2.4i according the energy part list. The drivers inside of the 2.2s are the upgraded I series though. I have managed to stay clear of "frozen veritas syndrome" in my conquests.
Haha.....so many speakers in there that us forum members would buy if you ever want to sell!!!

post #55764 of 55774 Old 10-06-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
Great info, thanks!

I won't be able to try these until a couple months from now when I install it all at my cousin's house. I'm at the mercy of a very limited budget but know enough to find a decent 5.1 AVR with at least the latest HDCP and HDMI specs.

The really good news is the SB2000 reference you give. I have one and know what they can do. The sub is really the foundation of any HT theater sound profile and few recognize that it could easily represent the most expensive part of building a budget system. While this won't impress many here, it's bound to drop jaws for my cousin and his son. With music they are accustomed to either crappy plastic computer speakers or cheap earbuds. For them it's doubtful that 2.1 channel stereo imaging, soundstage, depth and dynamic range is really a thing anyhow, so me being me it'll be a case of when the opportunity to upgrade in the spring or summer next year arises I'll replace the main L-R's and perhaps the center with much bigger & better.

We see a fair amount of Energy speakers come up on the Boston & surrounding area Craigslists, so I could likely 'stay in the family' with that.

post #55765 of 55774 Old 10-06-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Haha.....so many speakers in there that us forum members would buy if you ever want to sell!!!
Dibs on the single 2.2i !!!
johnb4467, nc88keyz and 355F1 like this.
post #55766 of 55774 Old 10-06-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
dibs on the single 2.2i !!!

yassssss 😂😂😂

post #55767 of 55774 Old 10-06-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 232
unofficial interested parties. they are 2.2s with 2.2i replacement woofers. so they have the bumps in the grills. What is interesting is that my actual 2.2is that are gloss black have one 2.2 grill and one 2.2i grill. I would like to find a 2.2i grill actually to match it up. I missed out on the veritas stands as shipping was going to be 80 to 100. So I passed. but the deal was good enough to be happy without the stands. ( the ones that can be sand filled for safety. Furniture comes in this week. I will reach out when I decide what I will be doing. One set has beefed up solen and mills crossovers that meet or exceed factory. I think they were owned by an audiophile for sure. (the cherry or walnut ones ) The piano black are the ones that have mismatched grills and will likely remain this way unless I source one. Klipsh is zero help anything these days. It is almost as if you are annoying them with any tickets to support. Nobody over there cares one iota about Energy speakers. If there is they have likely been gagged by removing their keyboard from their workstation!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #55768 of 55774 Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Do the Energy veritas 6.3 Tower speakers have the same tweeters as Energy veritas RC mini speakers? Anyone know?
post #55769 of 55774 Old 10-16-2019, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
No, it is a different tweeter. The RC Mini is not from the Veritas speaker line

The V-Mini and Veritas 6.3 probably have the same tweeter though. They both have the 1" tweeter with aluminum dome and
neodymium motor

Afro GT
post #55770 of 55774 Old 10-17-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I have a set 6 RC-10's ceiling mounted and have the itch to upgrade, should i just ignore the feeling?

Sony 85" 900F
Denon x4200w
BIC F12
6x Energy RC-10
DirecTV / Nvidia Shield / PS4 Pro / 1080 TI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy , Energy Loudspeakers , Energy S8 3 Subwoofer , Energy S12 3 Subwoofer , Energy Take Lcr Speaker Single Black , Energy Take Sat Speaker Single Black , Onkyo Tx Ds 656 , Receivers Amplifiers , Osd Audio S 10 High Powered 10 Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer Black , Energy Speakers , Energy Speaker Systems , Energy C 100 Bookshelf Speakers , Energy Rc R Surround Speaker Black , Energy Bookshelf Speakers C 50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page