PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 239 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 324Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7141 of 7158 Old 07-15-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Unless your going for a series upgrade, I would spend it on something else. I say this for good reason. I've purchased the 400/500, 100c and 200c speakers (precursors tp the Image Seies) for my 2nd system build. They are about 10 to 15 years older than your current image series which I also have in my main system. Truth be told, not much difference in sound quality between the Image series and the 400/500/200c speakers. I think I would fail a DBT test between my Image T45s and the PSB500 . This is just my opinion. PSB just builds really REALLY good speakers.
Well, there's sure a lot of folks here using older models they've picked up, so I guess you're right.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
sdrucker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7142 of 7158 Old 07-27-2019, 04:46 PM
Member
 
maestro50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Switch Center Channel Speaker?

I'd be interested in the opinion of fellow PSB owners:


I have Imagine T2 LR towers which I am very happy with.
For 5.1 listening, I am using an Image 8C center, left over from when I had Image speakers all around.


My question is this--would it be worth it to switch out the Image 8C for the Imagine C center?
I know it would look good (!), but would there be a sonic benefit?
maestro50 is offline  
post #7143 of 7158 Old 07-30-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rieper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,574
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Just got my PSB Imagine X2T speakers and using Audioquest 500 Series spade lugs would not fit. Only a little would go in, but the outer half of the spade was left hanging outside the terminal. Anyone know the actual spacing between the speaker terminal posts? Is it 5mm, 6mm, or 8mm?

Also, almost forgot to ask. Is there any break-in period with the X2T series? I noticed they seemed a little reserved compared to my store demo. Not as dynamic, or maybe a little veiled compared to the store. But I literally installed them today, have less than 15 minutes played on them. Thats why I'm asking... thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Rieper is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7144 of 7158 Old 07-30-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 630
My X1Ts have been in use for almost a year now. They haven't broken yet....

Oh you mean some hypothetical wear-in period like a car has with a clutch or to get the little metal particles out of a brand new engine before really pushing it. Yeah, I never heard such a thing in my life. YMMV. I think my hearing varies vastly more with my sinuses changing and the weather. I attribute most changes in sound back and forth to things like that (or ears tired from hearing other loud noise, etc.) But then I would never buy Audioquest anything either unless they were on sale for normal prices so I may not be the person to ask if you think they make things sound better. Plain old 10-14 guage works fine for me (depending on distance of the speakers). I'm sure Audioquest has quite a nice profit margin, however.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-26-19)
MagnumX is offline  
post #7145 of 7158 Old 08-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fronts for 5.1

Hi, looking for some advice for my 5.1 setup (movies and games). I currently have an Imagine W3 that I was gifted, along with a pair of Imagine XB for surround L/R. I started a thread on another forum looking for upgrade advice, and the consensus was I should switch the W3 out for 3 separate fronts.

So, right now I'm debating between another pair of XB's for front L/R and XC for center or spending a little more on the X2T for L/R. Thoughts on this? Are the XB's adequate for my intended use, or will I miss out on a lot by not shelling out a little more for the X2T's? If it helps, I currently have a JBL 550 P for sub, but am eventually looking to switch that out for an SVS PB2000 or a Monolith 12". Room size is 16' x 20' x 8'.
pbatty is offline  
post #7146 of 7158 Old 08-08-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ovation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: St. Hubert, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 3,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbatty View Post
Hi, looking for some advice for my 5.1 setup (movies and games). I currently have an Imagine W3 that I was gifted, along with a pair of Imagine XB for surround L/R. I started a thread on another forum looking for upgrade advice, and the consensus was I should switch the W3 out for 3 separate fronts.

So, right now I'm debating between another pair of XB's for front L/R and XC for center or spending a little more on the X2T for L/R. Thoughts on this? Are the XB's adequate for my intended use, or will I miss out on a lot by not shelling out a little more for the X2T's? If it helps, I currently have a JBL 550 P for sub, but am eventually looking to switch that out for an SVS PB2000 or a Monolith 12". Room size is 16' x 20' x 8'.
With your sub upgrade plans, the XBs should be fine (as long as you are set with appropriate bass management gear).
Ovation is offline  
post #7147 of 7158 Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodosom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Niagara Frontier
Posts: 9,520
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post
neverything working great now. the only concern at this point is that i was planning on moving to an all-psb platform (imagine x2t + imagine c) and i kind of don't want to be drilling holes in the binding posts of my new purchases
I just got a pair of xA Atmos speakers and this is still a problem (all four posts). And the binding posts are extra large (3/8 inch) so normal spade connectors don't work either. It's irksome.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
bodosom is offline  
post #7148 of 7158 Old 08-12-2019, 11:51 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
I got them setup a week ago. Pictures to follow soon. I really like these speakers. The mids and highs are much like the 400 but bass is more improved with the bigger driver. I'm glad I bought these. Imaging is typical of PSB which is to say very detailed with good spacial clues.

Here are some pics of setup with teh PSB 500s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great11.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2602144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Great12.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2602146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Great17.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2602148  
KenM10759 likes this.

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
3db is offline  
post #7149 of 7158 Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Argentina
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I dont have much information about this brand. Im interested on xb or xt1. How its the sound from both models? Compared with other models of this price are better or worse?
Trunksleo is offline  
post #7150 of 7158 Old 09-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Member
 
DannyW75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
Just got my PSB Imagine X2T speakers and using Audioquest 500 Series spade lugs would not fit. Only a little would go in, but the outer half of the spade was left hanging outside the terminal. Anyone know the actual spacing between the speaker terminal posts? Is it 5mm, 6mm, or 8mm?

Also, almost forgot to ask. Is there any break-in period with the X2T series? I noticed they seemed a little reserved compared to my store demo. Not as dynamic, or maybe a little veiled compared to the store. But I literally installed them today, have less than 15 minutes played on them. Thats why I'm asking... thanks in advance for any help/advice!

I am also an owner of the X2T speakers. You have made an excellent choice getting them. They are probably the best sounding speakers you can get for under 2000 US a pair. The ability of these speakers to render vocals is fantastic. The singer is presented right in front of the music, and sounds very realistic. Instruments are nicely separated and definded, and everything is nicely layered in its presentation. The bass on these is stunning as well. It is tight, deep, punchy, accurate, and very detailed. Imaging and soundstage as a result of that new midrange driver used in this speaker is amazing for the price point. Details in music pop up all over the place. Regarding break in, they take about 50-60 hours use to reach their final sound. Out of the box, the treble is slightly layed back. I noticed this when I bought my pair a couple years ago as well. What amp or receiver are you running ? These speakers love power. I have mine paired with an Integra DTR 80-3 Receiver, which is 145watt x 9 channels. This receiver has a 1160 watt power supply in it and weighs 53 pounds. They don't make receivers like this anymore. The sound quality when paired with the X2T towers is awesome. You will discover that the treble begins to open up after about 20 hours, and will continue to progress until around 50-60 hours of use. These speakers will never be bright through. Their presentation will always be very smooth and non fatiguing in the upper frequencies.
DannyW75 is offline  
post #7151 of 7158 Old 09-04-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyW75 View Post
They are probably the best sounding speakers you can get for under 2000 US a pair.
If I had a dime for every time I've read that statement in a review.... I mean they're nice, but based on reviews over the years, there does seem to be a hell of a lot of speakers that are the "best" under $2000.

I still think my Carver AL-III ribbons are the "best" I've heard under $6000 (I paid $1175 for them delivered on closeout plus another $400 for an active crossover), but then we are probably all partial to our own speaker choices and I have no heard every speaker there is under $6000 so it's hardly conclusive and the AL-III is a dipole ribbon so it's a bit apple/orange with traditional speakers in some respects.

I do use 17 PSB speakers in my home theater currently, however. I use the X1T (2) for rear surround, CS500 (2) for rear height, B15 (8) (for front height, front wides, side surrounds, surround #2 ), S50 (2) (side height/top middle) and T45 (3) (L/C/R) in my home theater. I will say my PSB T-45s (once matched with a subwoofer for real lows) sound pretty nice in my home theater. But then that's the rub with PSB. They all sound similar with a subwoofer and you really NEED a subwoofer even with the larger ones because a sub can move more air. I've got X1Ts for rear surrounds, BTW (X2Ts wouldn't have fit in the space I needed to squeeze them in between a sliding door without blocking the doorway somewhat). I thought about X2T for the front also, but it seemed a bit of a waste since the subwoofer was going to take over the bass anyway. The T-45 (an older precursor to the X1T) matched my drivers on all my speakers except the X1T and CS500 which are both in the rear and it's wider than the X1T so it would have blocked the doorway slightly too. The X1T and CS500 have the newer titanium tweeters and clay-filled woofers, but I compared them in the front for awhile with a single T-45 to see how similar they sounded and I couldn't hardly tell them apart other than a slight change in pink noise. That's actually a nice feature of PSB speakers. They're incredibly neutral sounding so they match well even with older/newer speakers in similar lines.
3db likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-26-19)
MagnumX is offline  
post #7152 of 7158 Old 09-06-2019, 10:14 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I do use 17 PSB speakers in my home theater currently, however. I use the X1T (2) for rear surround, CS500 (2) for rear height, B15 (8) (for front height, front wides, side surrounds, surround #2 ), S50 (2) (side height/top middle) and T45 (3) (L/C/R) in my home theater. I will say my PSB T-45s (once matched with a subwoofer for real lows) sound pretty nice in my home theater. But then that's the rub with PSB. They all sound similar with a subwoofer and you really NEED a subwoofer even with the larger ones because a sub can move more air. I've got X1Ts for rear surrounds, BTW (X2Ts wouldn't have fit in the space I needed to squeeze them in between a sliding door without blocking the doorway somewhat). I thought about X2T for the front also, but it seemed a bit of a waste since the subwoofer was going to take over the bass anyway. The T-45 (an older precursor to the X1T) matched my drivers on all my speakers except the X1T and CS500 which are both in the rear and it's wider than the X1T so it would have blocked the doorway slightly too. The X1T and CS500 have the newer titanium tweeters and clay-filled woofers, but I compared them in the front for awhile with a single T-45 to see how similar they sounded and I couldn't hardly tell them apart other than a slight change in pink noise. That's actually a nice feature of PSB speakers. They're incredibly neutral sounding so they match well even with older/newer speakers in similar lines.

I think their neutrality comes from two things, good damping with very controlled resonance and frequency response curves are very similar across the different lines... both on center and off axes designs.


I have 3 systems built around Yamaha AVRs and PSB speakers. My favourite speaker has been the T45s followed very closely by the PSB 500.
sdrucker likes this.

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
3db is offline  
post #7153 of 7158 Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Will the PSB Imaganie XA (dolby Atmos module) fit on top of a pair of PSB ImageT45s? Anyone hear using these? Is Dolby Atmos, a game changer?

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
3db is offline  
post #7154 of 7158 Old 09-11-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Will the PSB Imaganie XA (dolby Atmos module) fit on top of a pair of PSB ImageT45s? Anyone hear using these? Is Dolby Atmos, a game changer?
No idea about XAs. It's a game changer with some good soundtracks. I've heard a few where I thought I've heard better plain stereo soundtracks before. In other words, garbage on = garbage out. Some people should look for another profession than sound mixing, IMO.

I've been kind of disappointed overall. I figured they'd try a bit harder. Too many soundtracks do very little with surround period, let alone blow my mind with immersive 3D realism. I'm sure it comes back to the old school belief that surround = distracting. The problem is that belief is antithetical to Atmos in principle. Either you want realism or you want to not distract. You can't have both.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-26-19)
MagnumX is offline  
post #7155 of 7158 Old 09-11-2019, 11:30 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,665
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
No idea about XAs. It's a game changer with some good soundtracks. I've heard a few where I thought I've heard better plain stereo soundtracks before. In other words, garbage on = garbage out. Some people should look for another profession than sound mixing, IMO.

I've been kind of disappointed overall. I figured they'd try a bit harder. Too many soundtracks do very little with surround period, let alone blow my mind with immersive 3D realism. I'm sure it comes back to the old school belief that surround = distracting. The problem is that belief is antithetical to Atmos in principle. Either you want realism or you want to not distract. You can't have both.

I prefer realism or at least fake realism ... I also realize that the soundtrack is as good as the sound engineer production talents. Have you compared a good Dolby Atmos soundtrack to a 6.1/7.1 soundtrack of the same film?

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
3db is offline  
post #7156 of 7158 Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Will the PSB Imaganie XA (dolby Atmos module) fit on top of a pair of PSB ImageT45s? Anyone hear using these? Is Dolby Atmos, a game changer?
I used two pairs of Imagine XAs with my PSB Imagine T2 (and briefly, the T3 I replaced them with as mains) until I went to three pairs of the CS1000 as physical speakers overhead. I haven't checked the upfiring speakers ("DA") thread in quite some time, but back in 2016 and 2017 they got good reviews from what I remember.

I thought they punched above their weight - meaning that you got a convincing sense of ambience overhead on a movie like Gravity or (DTS:X) Independence Day, and they did a decent job of even getting some upper bass from the non-reflected (less direction above you) direct sound. One thing Paul Barton did right with them was to give them a proper angle/waveguide that was part of the speaker design with the grille. There's also both a woofer and a tweeter, rather than the older upfiring height speaker designs that just used a single concentric driver from the likes of Pioneer.

One thing you have to be careful of is placement: you want the base of the supporting floor speaker big enough that the upfirer base can be stable, without tipping over and crashing to the floor . That's where looking up the speaker specifications on the PSB website is helpful.

Put it this way: if I had a mainstream AVR, I'd have been fine with my four upfirers. However, I ran into some issues with a Trinnov feature called Remapping, where the localization of the upfirers due to the indirect sound being the important one for higher frequencies was a problem. And ultimately I could have ceiling mounted speakers with the CS series in our condo, so I went that route.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
sdrucker is offline  
post #7157 of 7158 Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
I prefer realism or at least fake realism ... I also realize that the soundtrack is as good as the sound engineer production talents. Have you compared a good Dolby Atmos soundtrack to a 6.1/7.1 soundtrack of the same film?
Well, I suppose you can always turn Atmos off and go to 7.1 instead if you want (just lose overhead effects other than what phase implies, etc.) But I'm thinking a better comparison would be the last three Mission Impossible movies. Ghost Protocol was in 7.1...GLORIOUS 7.1. It is a near perfect soundtrack example of 7.1 done right. Then came Rogue Nation with Dolby Atmos. It's an OK soundtrack at best, IMO. It does decent 5.1 bed effects with an occasional rear speaker effect, but it has very few overhead moments (some helicopters come to mind offhand and maybe some thunder effects). Then came Fallout and its Atmos is awesome by comparison. I'd take Ghost Protocol's 7.1 (upmixed with Neural X perhaps) over Rogue Nation's wimpy Atmos soundtrack. But I think Fallout probably bests both (great combo of bed and overhead effects).

But even a good 5.1 conversion from a great Atmos track can sound excellent, particularly if upmixed back to using overheads with Neural X. The movie that comes to mind immediately since I intiially had the 3D version with 5.1 only and then added the 4K Atmos soundtrack to the 3D mix and watched it again was THE MEG (shark movie). The overhead effects from the 5.1 soundtrack were totally convincing as "bubble effects" in the submarine scenes with Neural X. It's almost as if the cues for overhead effects are still there in a way that Neural X can find and restore them. It was kind of shocking how good it sounded upmixed. The Atmos track was definitely better still, though (great demo track for underwater immersion all around, IMO).

Now take Venom 5.1 and upmix it with Neural X and I didn't find the Atmos track I bought later and added to its 3D version that much better sounding....The Atmos track was kind of a disappointment, really. (i.e. I thought it sounded pretty good upmixed, so I thought I'd be blown away by the Atmos track, but it was underwhelming, almost to the point where I wanted to go back and compare the 5.1 upmixed track again).

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 8-26-19)
MagnumX is offline  
post #7158 of 7158 Old 09-19-2019, 04:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys
I am writing to you from Argentina, I read more than 200 pages of this forum with attention, and I want to ask you what integrated amplifier to buy for my psb imagine x2t, of less than 1300 dollars, I am currently using a Yamaha Rx V 771 that I bought years ago, the speakers They are great, but I think they might sound even better.
The use is only for music, from a PC using toslink, so you should have a good dac.
Sorry, my English is not very good and I used google translate.
thanks to everyone.
Leon_D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , psb speakers x1t , psb speakers x2t , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off