PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 365Likes

post #7231 of 7288 Old 04-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
It represented Paul Barton's "no cost limit" vision of a floorstanding speaker, with such innovations as a way to use one of the three lower bass woofers as active absorption by using a shorting bar, as well as a more linear performance off-axis for the titanium tweeters. And with measurements for speaker performance at Canada's NRC, PSB's designs are at the very least a less well known version of what Harman and Revel can do with more resources.
Is the active absorption why they are able to go as low as they do? Since I learned they were discontinued, I've been struggling to find another speaker with a similar frequency response (24-23,000Hz ±3dB) at that price point (~$6k pair), and have been wondering why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7288 Old 04-27-2020, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
Is the active absorption why they are able to go as low as they do? Since I learned they were discontinued, I've been struggling to find another speaker with a similar frequency response (24-23,000Hz ±3dB) at that price point (~$6k pair), and have been wondering why.
Not exactly. The +/- 3 db for the T3 on the low end is due to the cascading woofer speaker design, supported by the NRC measurements. The "active absorption" I mention actually reduces the lowest bass response, not increases it, by using the lowest woofer out of the three to reduce room gain. Quoting from the T3 manual, which you can find on the PSB website, here's what they say:

Room Gain Correction Accessory
A woofer-shorting bar (Room Gain Correction Accessory) is supplied with each tower speaker. The bar is
to be used to adjust the low frequencies where room problems can occur. It is well known that the room
can dominate the performance at low frequencies below 200Hz and affect the sound presentation. The
use of the woofer-shorting bar provides the flexibility to dampen the bottom woofer, reducing the low
frequency response for certain rooms.

How to install/remove woofer-shorting bar (Figure 3)
I. Loosen the rear speaker terminals for the bottom, top and middle woofers.
II. Remove the bottom jumper bar and store it in a safe place.
III. Remove the woofer shorting bar from its packaging and insert it into the bottom two terminals
(+/-).
IV. Tighten the speaker terminals, securing the woofer-shorting bar into the connectors. Be careful
not to over tighten the terminals as this may cause damage to the woofer shorting bar and/or
connectors.
TheDarkOne and nakkiran like this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 04-27-2020 at 01:56 PM.
post #7233 of 7288 Old 04-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Not exactly. The +/- 3 db for the T3 on the low end is due to the cascading woofer speaker design, supported by the NRC measurements. The "active absorption" I mention actually reduces the lowest bass response, not increases it, by using the lowest woofer out of the three to reduce room gain. Quoting from the T3 manual, which you can find on the PSB website, here's what they say:

Room Gain Correction Accessory
A woofer-shorting bar (Room Gain Correction Accessory) is supplied with each tower speaker. The bar is
to be used to adjust the low frequencies where room problems can occur. It is well known that the room
can dominate the performance at low frequencies below 200Hz and affect the sound presentation. The
use of the woofer-shorting bar provides the flexibility to dampen the bottom woofer, reducing the low
frequency response for certain rooms.

How to install/remove woofer-shorting bar (Figure 3)
I. Loosen the rear speaker terminals for the bottom, top and middle woofers.
II. Remove the bottom jumper bar and store it in a safe place.
III. Remove the woofer shorting bar from its packaging and insert it into the bottom two terminals
(+/-).
IV. Tighten the speaker terminals, securing the woofer-shorting bar into the connectors. Be careful
not to over tighten the terminals as this may cause damage to the woofer shorting bar and/or
connectors.
That's awesome, and seems like a great problem to have! The more and more I compare the Imagine 3 series with other speakers, the more I want them. If I could find a cherry Imagine 3 LCR to match my Imagine S's I'd probably pull the trigger, but all I can find are black in towers and center channel is no where to be found. I guess I'm stuck waiting for whatever is coming out later this year...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7234 of 7288 Old 05-01-2020, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I'm building a home theater in my basement and I'd like to get some advice about installing in-ceiling speakers for 5.1.4 ATMOS.
My current setup that will move to the basement is Imagine X2Ts for fronts, XC center and a pair of XBs for surround.
The room will be about 17'x 16' with 7' ceilings.

PSB seems to have a number of in-ceiling options in 6" and 8" sizes, from what I can tell:

CS605: 6" - 3/4” textile tweeter
CS805: 8" - 1" textile tweeter

CS610: 6" - 3/4" aluminium tweeter with angle adjustment
CS810: 8" - 1" aluminium tweeter with angle adjustment

CS650: 6" - 1" titanium tweeter with angle adjustment
CS850: 8" - 1" titanium tweeter, tweeter angle adjustment

CS630: 6" - Two 3/4" aluminium tweeters (same as CS610), can be wired as bipole/dipole
CS-AIC860: 6" - 1" titanium tweeter, tweeter angle adjustment, angled woofer

My questions:

- How to choose between 6" vs 8"? Is 6" sufficient or 8" overkill?
- Is the ability to adjust tweeter angle significant for this application?
- I believe my Imagine X floor speakers have 1" titanium tweeters that I'm assuming are the same as those in CS650/CS850. How critical is matching these?

There is a big cost difference between a set of CS605s and a set of CS850, so I'm essentially try to do a cost/benefit analysis to figure out what to get... If CS605s would work well for my setup without serious compromises, that's probably what I'll go with.
If anyone have experience with matching in-ceiling speakers (PSB or otherwise) to Imagine X series, I'd love to hear about it as well!
post #7235 of 7288 Old 05-01-2020, 08:33 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBot View Post
I'm building a home theater in my basement and I'd like to get some advice about installing in-ceiling speakers for 5.1.4 ATMOS.
My current setup that will move to the basement is Imagine X2Ts for fronts, XC center and a pair of XBs for surround.
The room will be about 17'x 16' with 7' ceilings.

PSB seems to have a number of in-ceiling options in 6" and 8" sizes, from what I can tell:

CS605: 6" - 3/4” textile tweeter
CS805: 8" - 1" textile tweeter

CS610: 6" - 3/4" aluminium tweeter with angle adjustment
CS810: 8" - 1" aluminium tweeter with angle adjustment

CS650: 6" - 1" titanium tweeter with angle adjustment
CS850: 8" - 1" titanium tweeter, tweeter angle adjustment

CS630: 6" - Two 3/4" aluminium tweeters (same as CS610), can be wired as bipole/dipole
CS-AIC860: 6" - 1" titanium tweeter, tweeter angle adjustment, angled woofer

My questions:

- How to choose between 6" vs 8"? Is 6" sufficient or 8" overkill?
- Is the ability to adjust tweeter angle significant for this application?
- I believe my Imagine X floor speakers have 1" titanium tweeters that I'm assuming are the same as those in CS650/CS850. How critical is matching these?

There is a big cost difference between a set of CS605s and a set of CS850, so I'm essentially try to do a cost/benefit analysis to figure out what to get... If CS605s would work well for my setup without serious compromises, that's probably what I'll go with.
If anyone have experience with matching in-ceiling speakers (PSB or otherwise) to Imagine X series, I'd love to hear about it as well!
I don’t think the matching for atmos usage would be overly critical - but being that your ceiling is only 7” high, you might want to experiment with pointing the tweeter in different directions. If it was me I’d go for the CS610’s.
GorillaBot likes this.
post #7236 of 7288 Old 05-05-2020, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
That's awesome, and seems like a great problem to have! The more and more I compare the Imagine 3 series with other speakers, the more I want them. If I could find a cherry Imagine 3 LCR to match my Imagine S's I'd probably pull the trigger, but all I can find are black in towers and center channel is no where to be found. I guess I'm stuck waiting for whatever is coming out later this year...
Keep an eye out on Audiogon and Ebay for used or B-stock. I just bought a pair of PSB Synchrony Ones in cherry as B-stock off a seller. Now that I Have a much larger living room, they are a nice upgrade to the Synchrony two towers I had, and integrate with the rest of my Synchrony speakers in my 5.2 set up.

Yup, I got stuff...
LG OLED65C7P, LG 55EG9100
Marantz SR6012, Classe Sigma Amp5, Oppo BDP-203
PSB Synchrony One mains, Synchrony two center and surrounds, 2x SVS SB12-NSD
XBox One X
post #7237 of 7288 Old 05-08-2020, 09:19 AM

Has anyone used PSB in-ceiling speakers for ATMOS before? Looking for any impressions or feedback!
post #7238 of 7288 Old 05-08-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Quote:
Has anyone used PSB in-ceiling speakers for ATMOS before? Looking for any impressions or feedback!
I haven't but the PSB CS500 are fantastic for Atmos with their highly adjustable bracket. Also perfect driver match for image series.

https://www.psbspeakers.com/product/...door-speakers/
TL5, sdrucker and MagnumX like this.
post #7239 of 7288 Old 05-09-2020, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I’m looking for opinions on pricing to sell my current PSBs. I have a pair of Image 5T’s, an Image 9C, a pair of Image 2Bs, and a pair of imagine XAs atmos speakers. All in excellent shape, no damage to woofers or tweeters. Thoughts?
post #7240 of 7288 Old 05-10-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctopper View Post
I’m looking for opinions on pricing to sell my current PSBs. I have a pair of Image 5T’s, an Image 9C, a pair of Image 2Bs, and a pair of imagine XAs atmos speakers. All in excellent shape, no damage to woofers or tweeters. Thoughts?
I don’t have specific pricing, but do some searches on the intrawebs for sale listings for your speakers, and see what the prices look like. Check Audiogon, EBay, etc.

When I have sold speakers before, I usually price “excellent” condition units at 65-70% of the original MSRP to start. Then adjust as necessary.

Yup, I got stuff...
XBox One X
post #7241 of 7288 Old 05-10-2020, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
I paid used prices of about $199/pair for Image B15s and $399 for Image T45s used and I think $499 for brand new CS500s out of Canada. I think my S50s were $399-499 back when I bought them new (well below retail and in white) and I think I paid $299 for my original two sets of B15s back when they were new. Those are one generation newer versions of the speaker line you're referring to. I got my X1Ts new in auction for about $800 a pair. I've seen people ask more/less depending on condition. Whether they got it or not, I can't say. I don't know if that helps or not (or disappoints). They haven't gone up in value or anything like some rare exotic. It was easier and perhaps even cheaper to buy extra B15s for replacement drivers than trying to find a set online by themselves (when you figure the price of the woofer and tweeter). Speakers in bad condition but with good drivers go for even less. New off-brand tweeters that are compatible are around $50 each ($100 a pair and another $200 a pair for the woofer or thereabouts, making the set of two drivers more parted out than as a speaker, oddly enough. You might actually get more parting the speakers out as replacement parts are hard to come by and not everyone wants the whole speaker. I can't find replacement black colored grills for my T45s to save my life, for example.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #7242 of 7288 Old 05-11-2020, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well if anyone is in the W. Michigan area:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6950658839500/
post #7243 of 7288 Old 05-13-2020, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Well if anyone is in the W. Michigan area:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6950658839500/
That's fifteen minutes from me. I'd definitely be contacting them if I didn't already have a good surround setup. And I don't even have an FB account.
post #7244 of 7288 Old 05-13-2020, 10:38 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Don't judge how good PSB speakers are from the latter-day, bargain hunters of old PSB gear on AVS, and the lowest price products available either. This AVS thread isn't always representative of the product lines that PSB has developed in more recent years. It was more so about five years ago, but most of the old AVSers from those days don't post here anymore.

Yeah, I'm a PSB bargain hunter as I'm nearing retirement. If anything, my going after their older speakers should be seen as a testimonial at how good PSB speakers are now and were back then. My first foray into PSB was with the Image T45s, 8c and B15 purchased new. The T45s measured the flattest across the spectrum among the three towers in that line up and were given high accolades by Soundstage. The Image line up in general had nothing but favourable reviews.

I'm surprised at how similar and close the older PSBs sounded to the Image line. Most of the improvement I heard was in the bass with the T45s digging noticeably deeper then the 600s despite the 600s having 6.5 " drivers to the T45's 5.5" driver.

The mid, highs, and soundstage are so close to call that I would fail a DBT test for sure.
sdrucker likes this.

AVR Yamaha RX-A 3060/ RX-V 1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
post #7245 of 7288 Old 05-14-2020, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Yeah, I'm a PSB bargain hunter as I'm nearing retirement. If anything, my going after their older speakers should be seen as a testimonial at how good PSB speakers are now and were back then. My first foray into PSB was with the Image T45s, 8c and B15 purchased new. The T45s measured the flattest across the spectrum among the three towers in that line up and were given high accolades by Soundstage. The Image line up in general had nothing but favourable reviews.

I'm surprised at how similar and close the older PSBs sounded to the Image line. Most of the improvement I heard was in the bass with the T45s digging noticeably deeper then the 600s despite the 600s having 6.5 " drivers to the T45's 5.5" driver.

The mid, highs, and soundstage are so close to call that I would fail a DBT test for sure.
I'd say the same thing with regard to the Imagine line as well. While if you do a simple, one speaker test of center channel vocals to compare, say, the Imagine T2 to the Imagine T3, you can hear differences in the imaging. I did just that when I first got an Imagine T3 for a center, placing it side by side against a T2 and playing some upmixed two channel music with Dolby Surround's center extraction. The T3 had a more "lifelike" sound, which I described at the time as hearing someone sing vs. hearing a recording of someone sing. With the Trinnov Altitude, you can set up two presets and different speaker configurations and compare with something like that.

However, in practice, with either identical or very similar titanium tweeters, and the pains that PSB took to have timber matched speakers throughout their line, you'd be hard pressed to hear differences between the T3, T and T2 in the same room other than for upper bass and below in a multichannel music or immersive audio/movie setting. In my case, the T3s are L/C/R, the Ts are wides and front side surrounds, and the T2 are side surrounds. To be fair, room modes have something to do with what you hear on that bass, but above Schroeder, with the midrange and higher frequencies, the sound is very similar for on-axis response.

I did another test with my Trinnov Altitude: I have a pair of second hand Imagine B6 that I use as left/right centers (one of the Dolby Atmos positions) behind my AT screen, with the T3 I use as a center in the middle that really proves that point. So "old" technology that used, cost me about 10% of what the T3 did when I got it as a former demo to use as a center channel.

Using DTS:X Pro's implementation of Neural:X, you can extract the decorrelated sound from immediately adjacent speakers to these Lc/Rc, which effectively leaves the center channel to play what's unique to that channel vs. a sound that's played more in common between L, C and R on a 5.1 mix (i.e. vocals mixed into the center channel, but also panning from left to center to right). So in effect you're getting a "discrete" center vs. a "phantom" image of the center played by the Lc/Rc.

When I did A/B testing comparing what you hear from just the center channel in the native 5.1 mix of some concert music, compared to what you hear from soloing the Lc/Rc to produce the phantom sound you hear where the center is with the upmix engaged, it's almost identical sounding except that you get slightly great distinction on the vocals, and more depth in the soundstage with the center channel now playing more unique part of the mix.

Naturally I wouldn't want to replace my T3s with Imagine B6 as my mains, and the B6 are used for more specialized effects in an Atmos layout (object passthrough), but it shows just how good PSB's attention to detail was in 20/20 hindsight.
nakkiran likes this.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 05-14-2020 at 02:11 AM.
post #7246 of 7288 Old 05-18-2020, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone able to share what the X2T's sound like in comparison to the XB bookshelves? I imagine (heh) the towers will sound very similar to my XBs but with much deeper, fuller bass. Is the top-end more refined/any brighter?

I was looking at speakers 50% more than the X2T but I figured since I'm in an apartment, I won't be able to enjoy the full potential of more expensive speakers. Besides, I already like PSB's sound and I can find them for around $1100 (CAD) from a dealer than has sales a couple times of year.

Hopefully the Imagine C doesn't clear out before I get a chance to upgrade (yes, the C, not XC. The C in black-ash are out of stock on PSB's site so I may end up with black X2Ts and a white C lol)

Last edited by slowmac89; 05-18-2020 at 03:37 PM.
post #7247 of 7288 Old 05-19-2020, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Listening to my Imagine B's this eve and noticed one of the tweeters was a little buzzy/fuzzy. Moved channels and the symptom stayed with the same speaker. Other speaker sounds nice and tight. Checked screws, but all is fine there. (Not a rattle tho, more of something in the driver itself.)

It's subtle, but once you notice something like that, you can't NOT hear it.

So, looked on the PSB site about replacement parts, so I'll call them about it in the morning.

Anyway, anyone ever have that issue?
post #7248 of 7288 Old 05-20-2020, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
Listening to my Imagine B's this eve and noticed one of the tweeters was a little buzzy/fuzzy. Moved channels and the symptom stayed with the same speaker. Other speaker sounds nice and tight. Checked screws, but all is fine there. (Not a rattle tho, more of something in the driver itself.)

It's subtle, but once you notice something like that, you can't NOT hear it.

So, looked on the PSB site about replacement parts, so I'll call them about it in the morning.

Anyway, anyone ever have that issue?
I've had some odd buzz quirks with two different PSB Image B15s before (I have 8 of them in my 11.1.6 setup). In both cases, it was the absorbent material inside that had shifted somehow and it was letting something in the case buzz (probably the crossover board) with certain frequencies. I had to take out of the woofer (remove screws around it and pull it forward and adjust the material inside to be more evenly distributed once again and then put it back together). No more buzz. I had something similar happen with some Klipsch ProMedia speakers before as well.

On the other hand, I've had four tweeters go bad over the years as well, but that doesn't create a buzz. It loses high frequencies (you can tell with pink noise by moving your hand towards and away from the tweeter. You should hear a pitch shift from the doppler effect. If you don't hear it, the tweeter is probably dead (you can also isolate it with a frequency sweep or whatever too, but my PSB S50s have two sets of tweeters each so that doesn't work. The hand thing works regardless and without touching the tweeter itself. They don't always die 100% either. I had a woofer cone in my Carver AL-IIIs make a loud buzzing noise and it was the voice coil partially burnt out (right after playing a massive bass burst from a movie; of course the woofers were over 20 years old by then so who knows). I had to change the driver in that case (I found a set online and have one more as a backup left).

I wouldn't count on PSB for replacement parts. They did not have anything I've ever called about with older models. I've found parts on eBay and there are some other drivers that are compatible, notably some nice fabric tweeters that I think sound slightly better than the originals (well more even off-axis anyway).

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #7249 of 7288 Old 05-20-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmac89 View Post
Anyone able to share what the X2T's sound like in comparison to the XB bookshelves? I imagine (heh) the towers will sound very similar to my XBs but with much deeper, fuller bass. Is the top-end more refined/any brighter?
Take this with a grain of salt since I've never done a proper A/B comparison between them as main speakers (I have my X2Ts wired as fronts XBs as surrounds - too lazy to rewire to test!), but I don't think they have a very noticeable difference in the top-end (driven by identical tweeters). I'd say there is slightly better mid-range in X2Ts due to the dedicated cone and significantly deeper/fuller bass. In fact, I auditioned several different tower speakers when I was buying and nothing could come close to the bass on X2T...they've been allowing me to get away with not buying a subwoofer for the last 5 years!
slowmac89 likes this.
post #7250 of 7288 Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the reply!

The symptom revealed itself when I was trying to compare two different DACs. Was listening to some really nicely recorded acoustic guitar (David Grier - I've Got the House to Myself), and I noticed some harshness on the guitar with the first DAC. Moved to the second DAC and no harshness! (But then I realized like a dope I didn't have the left channel interconnect in the correct place on the DAC. Plugged it in, and sure enough, there was the harshness in the left channel.

So I listened right up next to the tweeter, and it sounds like the most-subtle buzz. Like if the thinnest metal in the world was vibrating. Not like a screw or piece of mounting plastic, but much thinner. I unscrewed the screws and was going to pull the tweeter out to see if something might be vibrating, but it seems like it's in there pretty good and I didn't want to force anything out. So I put it back in and made sure the tweeter's screws were nice and solid but nothing changed. I'll maybe see what happens if I pull the woofer first.

We have a speaker repair place locally that's pretty good. If we weren't in such crappy COVID times, I wouldn't think anything of running the speakers over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I wouldn't count on PSB for replacement parts. They did not have anything I've ever called about with older models. I've found parts on eBay and there are some other drivers that are compatible, notably some nice fabric tweeters that I think sound slightly better than the originals (well more even off-axis anyway).
Any recommendations/sources for compatible tweeters?
post #7251 of 7288 Old 05-20-2020, 01:14 PM

from PSB parts:

The part number for the Imagine B tweeter is PSB IN 11NH and your cost is $67.99ea. plus $20.00. Currently we are out of stock and they have a approx.. ETA of mid July.

might toss a search alert up on USAudio Mart or ebay, but if you have recommendations for compatible tweets, I'm all ears.
post #7252 of 7288 Old 05-20-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Any recommendations/sources for compatible tweeters?
I think this is the one I used (fabric dome):

Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter

The off-axis response on my S50 bipolars seems much improved, IMO and I use them on the front height B15s as well since I can't tilt them downward as much as I'd like from the shelf there. I've actually given some thought to replacing ALL my 1" tweeters so they all match, but the pink noise sounds pretty close as-is.

There's a higher-end one you can get (silk dome) here:

Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC08-04 1" Silk Dome Neodymium Tweeter with Waveguide

I'm not sure how this silk dome one sounds as I've not tried it, but I believe those are the two tweeters I had recommended to me many years ago as a direct replacement for the aluminum and/or titanium domes on PSB speakers. They're fabric, of course, but the fabric domes I've used sound quite good, IMO, possibly better than the aluminum tweeters from the Image series.
terzinator likes this.

post #7253 of 7288 Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt since I've never done a proper A/B comparison between them as main speakers (I have my X2Ts wired as fronts XBs as surrounds - too lazy to rewire to test!), but I don't think they have a very noticeable difference in the top-end (driven by identical tweeters). I'd say there is slightly better mid-range in X2Ts due to the dedicated cone and significantly deeper/fuller bass. In fact, I auditioned several different tower speakers when I was buying and nothing could come close to the bass on X2T...they've been allowing me to get away with not buying a subwoofer for the last 5 years!
Thanks so much. Very likely I'll end up getting them. Part of me hoped there would be a little more top-end refinement, but I think I'd still be happy with them. I'm definitely excited about the 30hz bass extension on the towers. The XBs pretty much die off below 70hz (although I have a sub to take care of the low end).
GorillaBot likes this.
post #7254 of 7288 Old 05-21-2020, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Do you recommend the xt1 or focal 716s or tannoy v4??

Enviado desde mi LM-G710 mediante Tapatalk
post #7255 of 7288 Old 05-22-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunksleo View Post

Don't have experience with the X1T, but I do have the XB bookshelves and I've came across reviews stating the X1T isn't much better than them. At twice the cost, I'd be pretty disappointed with them (the XB however, at $600 is an amazing bookshelf).

A couple more hundred over the X1T will get you the X2T, which is what I plan to buy soon.
Trunksleo likes this.
post #7256 of 7288 Old 05-22-2020, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've got the PSB X1T (currently doing rear surround duty with T-45s in the front since the T-45 shares the same drivers as the B15 and S50s I have in front/sides while my rear heights are CS500 which has the same basic drivers as the X1T so they match precisely in the back, but the overall sound all around is still the same with real material. PSB's "sound" doesn't change much precisely because it's extremely accurate, usually +/- 1dB within most of its range, which is 4dB better than most other speakers on the market and the reason why I'm using them instead of some other brand. The X1T has the same drivers as the XB, but a larger tower form with an extra driver for much lower bass response (35Hz instead of ~60Hz, almost a full octave lower). The X2T has larger diameter drivers, but given the PSB "sound" I believe you're still really just getting more bass extension (~30Hz instead of 35Hz with more maximum output at 35Hz, I'm sure).
slowmac89 likes this.

post #7257 of 7288 Old 05-22-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I agree with @slowmac89 . Go for X2T’s if budget allows.

Also, you came to a PSB forum, we are all likely to recommend the PSB’s lol
slowmac89 likes this.

Yup, I got stuff...
XBox One X
post #7258 of 7288 Old 05-22-2020, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJayDub View Post
I agree with @slowmac89 . Go for X2T’s if budget allows.

Also, you came to a PSB forum, we are all likely to recommend the PSB’s lol
Thanks, i know but what i want to know more about that speaker, the characteristics like if more for movies or music, if its has a deep bass, etc
post #7259 of 7288 Old 05-22-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks, i know but what i want to know more about that speaker, the characteristics like if more for movies or music, if its has a deep bass, etc
Good questions. My own opinion is that if speakers are good for music, they are good for movies. I never understood why folks make a distinction between those two use cases.

PSB speakers do tend to be “neutral”, meaning they don’t color the source material much. I use my set up for both music and movies, good for both, as far as I am concerned.

The XT2 will have plenty of bass for music. For movies I suggest some good subwoofers in combination, but that suggestion would hold for most speakers.
TL5 and slowmac89 like this.

Yup, I got stuff...
XBox One X
post #7260 of 7288 Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 547
PSB makes good speakers and excel in both HT and 2 channel (listening to music) applications. IHO, a speaker that only excels in one application be it HT or 2 channel is not a good speaker.

AVR Yamaha RX-A 3060/ RX-V 1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Audyssey , image s5 c5 , Nad , Psb , psb image b6 , Psb Image T6 Tower Floorstanding Speaker , Psb Speakers Image B5 Bookshelf , Psb Speakers Image C5 Centre , Psb Speakers Image T5 Tower , Psb Speakers Subseries 200 Subwoofer , psb speakers x1t , psb speakers x2t , Psb Synchrony One , Rythmik Audio , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page