Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 423 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 427Likes

post #12661 of 12823 Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post
Thanks. I will wait and see if I can find a used one instead of getting the Bronze series.
I guess this is all very relative... After several years listening to (bad) vintage speakers, I set up a 5-channel Bronze kit (BX series, in 2011). It was an excellent investment. They are in storage now - but I had a delightful morning just a few days ago hooking them up and listening to mch music on them, and I don't have any plans to upgrade so soon.

Having said that... since you already have Silver speakers for L/R channels, I'd recommend you try to find a center from the same line/series.

Cheers,

VMat

Yam A-S500, CDC-697, NS-BP300, RX-V800, RX-A1000, DVD-C750; Squeezebox V3; H/K TD4500; Pio CT-WM62R, DV-46, DV-400, DV-420, BDP-320, DV-610, VSX-1025, VSX-821; Sansui TU-D99X, SE-7; Tech SU-Z65, ST-Z45, RS-M229X; Pana DMP-BD30; AT ATH-M35, ATH-M40fs; Audioengine D1; Tomato Pi; Athena LS-100b; MA GX200, BX2/1/Centre; CA DacMagic, Minx 10; BIC Acoustech H-100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12662 of 12823 Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam.sanghera View Post
New to Monitor Audio, is it worth to buy Gold 200 4G over spending extra for Gold 200 5G?

I auditioned MA Gold 300 5G in store this weekend and loved the sound. Seemed better than Kef R700 and Focal Aria 936.

Seeking your guys advice on difference in audio quality between 4th generation and 5th generation. Along with difference in sound quality between Gold 200 vs Gold 300.

What be a good price to pay for a new last generation Gold 200 set?

Also shall I pair Gold 200 with center channel Gold 150 or Gold 250? Thanks.

For ceiling and wall duties (7.2.4) thinking to go with CS180, to keep same sound bubble around.

Please share your thoughts to make a great sounding monitor audio 7.2.4 system.
bump
I own the 4g series all around, 300 fronts, 2 pairs of 100s, c350 centre and I also have 4 platinum in ceiling PLIC-II speakers. He platinum i n ceilings are said to he of the platinum speakers but they have the slightly smaller tweeters that the new gols series would then have just afterwards and as the technology is the same as in the gold I think it is safe to say they are a sonic match for the new gold series.

I think you would be crazy to buy the old gold series in 2019...which ia not to say they aren't amazing but just as he tweeter was the highlight of the 4g series the new tweeter is even better.

Also the new gold 200s 5g have the same size drivers as the gold 300 4g and the pricr of the new 200s is slightly higher than that of he 300 4g so I would get the 200 5g if price is a factor over the 300 4g and the c250 is a driver match for the c350 4g with the improved tweeer so for the extra money it would be a no brainer for me.

I don't think I would get cheap in ceilings or in walls to go with such nice new speakers especially when dome tweeters are harsh especially in contrast to the smooth warm sound of he transducer tweeter. If the sound panned around to the in walls from the smooth treble of the front 3 to the harah gold dome tweeter at the sides or rear it would be especially noticable.

I would look at platinum in walls or even try to see if any in ceiling/wall speakers are coming out for the new gold series.

With my platinum in ceilings even if I upgraded to the new gold of platinum II series it woulf be a sonic match and they sound amazing....of courae they are super expensive per unit compared to thenother ones though.
post #12663 of 12823 Old 05-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone compared some older RS series to the newer silver series or gold bookshelves? As always I have come upon the upgrade bug and wondering if anyone has compared older offering to the newer MA models. I have lost my "wow" factor over the years and wondering if updated MA would help fill the void. This would strictly be used for HT use. Thanks in advance.

5.2.2. Display: Sony XBR74X940e, Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6, RSLCR, RS-FX, Atmos: Emotiva E2, Subs: SVS PB-12NSD x 2, Receiver:Denon AVR-X3300, Amp: Rotel RMB-1075, Sources: Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Swith, Denon DBP-1610, Roku, Toshiba HD-A3, Power Conditioners:Monster HTS-2600, HDP1800, Remote: Harmony 950. Desktop: MA BR1, Dayton Sub800, Klipsch Powergate, Sennheiser HD58X, JDS Atom. PC: Ryzen 2700x, EVGA RTX 2080, 32gb DDR4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12664 of 12823 Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@shortstack

I've upgraded from Silver rx6s and they are very similar to the rs series. If you update to the new 5g golds its a pretty big upgrade, they're a different class of speaker. More so for stereo compared to HT though. I only have the Gold 200 fronts at the moment so my centre and surrounds are silver rx series and you can tell the superiority of the Golds when they kick in. Once I can afford it I'll get the Gold centre as well. I think it's worth it, if you can afford it, for the front soundstage.

Thing is, these are very transparent audiophile speakers and that matters more with music
post #12665 of 12823 Old 05-20-2019, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looking for advice

I am in the process of finishing a new home theater in the basement and I am looking for some advice,

I currently have the Silver RX 6 towers and RX center. I would like to move the towers down to the new theater but I want to upgrade the center. I am looking at Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC In-wall for side and rear surrounds and still to be decided atmos in ceiling.

I cant afford to upgrade the towers at the moment so I wanted to see how well you think the new Silver C350 would blend with the old RX towers? and if not would you recommend a different center?

Thanks
post #12666 of 12823 Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Going from an older silver series speaker to a more current one at roughly the same price is unlikely to be a substantial upgrade. Surely your budget would be better spent elsewhere, room treatment perhaps.
post #12667 of 12823 Old 05-20-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPLASMA View Post
I am in the process of finishing a new home theater in the basement and I am looking for some advice,

I currently have the Silver RX 6 towers and RX center. I would like to move the towers down to the new theater but I want to upgrade the center. I am looking at Monitor Audio CP-WT380IDC In-wall for side and rear surrounds and still to be decided atmos in ceiling.

I cant afford to upgrade the towers at the moment so I wanted to see how well you think the new Silver C350 would blend with the old RX towers? and if not would you recommend a different center?

Thanks
I guess I should have added that I was looking for a better center channel and thought the C350 being a bit larger and a 3 way might improve the quality of the sound.
post #12668 of 12823 Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
I guess I should have added that I was looking for a better center channel and thought the C350 being a bit larger and a 3 way might improve the quality of the sound.
I would go with the gold 350 if you can swing it. It’s the most important speaker and really good

Sony 75Z9D, Samsung 65JS9500
Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #12669 of 12823 Old 05-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently bought a set of used Apex 10 speakers and one of them was missing the screws to mount the speaker to its tabletop stand. I've tried emailing the U.S. and U.K. Distributors listed on the website, but am not confident I will get a reply. Anyone know where I can get a set?

Specifically, I need the (2) Long Mounting Screws, (2) Short Mounting Screws, and (1) Clamping Screw.
post #12670 of 12823 Old 05-30-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justntyme View Post
I recently bought a set of used Apex 10 speakers and one of them was missing the screws to mount the speaker to its tabletop stand. I've tried emailing the U.S. and U.K. Distributors listed on the website, but am not confident I will get a reply. Anyone know where I can get a set?

Specifically, I need the (2) Long Mounting Screws, (2) Short Mounting Screws, and (1) Clamping Screw.
The Bronze BR1 speakers have a 1/4-20 threaded hole. If the apex is the same, the thread is very common and easy to find bolts at a hardware store.
post #12671 of 12823 Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In ceiling questions

Does anyone have any experience using the +3,0,-3 or boundary gain controls on the in ceiling atmos speakers?

I have CT280-IDC btw

Monitor Audio Gold 200(2), Gold 350, Gold 50(2), Gold CT280-IDC(4). SVS PC4000(2).
NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
Apple TV 4K, Nvidea Shield. Mac Mini (2018). Samsung UHD BluRay and X-Box One X. 14 Sonos
post #12672 of 12823 Old 06-12-2019, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm considering buying some Mass 10 satellite speakers for ATMOS.

I have Silver LCR & Surrounds and I have been trying to use two pairs of Bronze 1's for ATMOS, they were wall mounted in my old place and worked reasonably well but now I've moved I really can't get the Bronze 1's mounted such that they point in the correct direction. The room is longer than wide and so I have the ATMOS speakers on the top of the side walls. The rears are fine and I've moved the fronts to a better spot but the speakers are fouling curtains and still not quite pointing in the right direction.

The Mass 10's seem smaller enough that they would mount the way I want but I don't have any way to hear them. I'm guessing they will sound similar to the Bronze 1's just with less bass extension which shouldn't matter for ATMOS, I'm expecting to change the crossover up to 100Hz or 120Hz for just those speakers.

I looked at the new Mass satellites as they are smaller again but they seem to have even less bass extension and the Mass 10's are available quite cheaply on an end of life deal. I don't like the idea of the rear facing tweeter in the Radius 45's and the Radius 90's are much the same size as the Bronze 1's, Apex A10's seem ideal but are too expensive

Has anyone heard the Mass 10's alongside MA's other lines?
post #12673 of 12823 Old 06-15-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
I'm considering buying some Mass 10 satellite speakers for ATMOS.

I have Silver LCR & Surrounds and I have been trying to use two pairs of Bronze 1's for ATMOS, they were wall mounted in my old place and worked reasonably well but now I've moved I really can't get the Bronze 1's mounted such that they point in the correct direction. The room is longer than wide and so I have the ATMOS speakers on the top of the side walls. The rears are fine and I've moved the fronts to a better spot but the speakers are fouling curtains and still not quite pointing in the right direction.

The Mass 10's seem smaller enough that they would mount the way I want but I don't have any way to hear them. I'm guessing they will sound similar to the Bronze 1's just with less bass extension which shouldn't matter for ATMOS, I'm expecting to change the crossover up to 100Hz or 120Hz for just those speakers.

I looked at the new Mass satellites as they are smaller again but they seem to have even less bass extension and the Mass 10's are available quite cheaply on an end of life deal. I don't like the idea of the rear facing tweeter in the Radius 45's and the Radius 90's are much the same size as the Bronze 1's, Apex A10's seem ideal but are too expensive

Has anyone heard the Mass 10's alongside MA's other lines?
MA's budget speaker are really overpriced. If you own your house then here is a huge range of in ceiling speakers that have the same gold dome tweeters as the bronze and silver series which have pivoting tweeters to angle where you need them. Just get and that say IDC in the name, that's the pivoting module. That woulf give you 10 times he performance for your money and a much better sound.

Look into pricing for
https://www.monitoraudio.com//en/pro...core/c265-idc/
ambesolman likes this.
post #12674 of 12823 Old 06-15-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Monitor Audio Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
MA's budget speaker are really overpriced. If you own your house then here is a huge range of in ceiling speakers that have the same gold dome tweeters as the bronze and silver series which have pivoting tweeters to angle where you need them. Just get and that say IDC in the name, that's the pivoting module. That woulf give you 10 times he performance for your money and a much better sound.

Look into pricing for

Those look pretty sweet, and a 3way too. £230/$320 is avg from a quick search and doesn’t seem too terrible for what you get. I’ve been thinking of adding some in ceiling rears to my rx 3.1 in the den. I have four rx1s from the last house, but no place to put them in this room. The rx8s and rxc sound great in here, but I’ve missed surrounds for a couple of years. These C265-IDCs would be total overkill for that, but would probably sound great. I was thinking of using some volts or beymas since they’re cheaper, have good reviews and a backer box is easy to build. We’ll see, I’m not in a hurry. The whole rx set will eventually be used in the basement whenever I get around to building the HT (gotta waterproof before I can do anything). At least that’s the plan right now.

When that’s done, I’ll have to get something else for the den. I really like the rx8sThe Ascend Sierra towers w/RAALs have intrigued me for a long time, but haven’t heard them yet. Have any MA owners switched to the Ascends and have any thoughts they’d like to share here in our local audio support group?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk?

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html

Last edited by ambesolman; 06-15-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #12675 of 12823 Old 06-16-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post

Look into pricing for
Thanks for the input, it is our own house so in ceiling is a possibility, we believe we have asbestos in the ceiling and in the artex so we were planning to just re-board over to avoid the whole disposal issues, that makes cutting 8.5" holes in the ceiling impractical.

Usually I like to upgrade whenever I'm forced to make a change. :-) So I am a little unsure about the Mass 10's. I recently upgraded Bronze 1 surrounds to Silver 1's at a very nice end of stock price, that was a significant improvement.

The concern i have with in ceiling is resonances, when I tried on ceiling mounting I had a horrible ~130Hz resonance that from a finger test during a sweep seemed to be the whole ceiling resonating, I never managed to tame that until I moved the speakers to a more solid fixing.

I had been considering building some in ceiling speakers in to a sound cloud, either with back boxes or the controlled performance MA range, that would avoid having to replace the whole ceiling and give me some first reflection absorption at the same time. Maybe I'll re-visit that idea, I'd moved away from it as we have 2.5m ceilings in the new place, before they were almost 3m so was more willing to lose the height.

I can get a good deal on MA custom install speakers so I'll look in to that. I might not need the IDC's if I can angle the whole driver but it's probably good to keep my options open.

Thanks
post #12676 of 12823 Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hello

Any Monitor Audio contacts dealers or where to audition looking at the MA Gold 200 G5 mode. Thanks

Last edited by LIKEAUDIO; 06-21-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #12677 of 12823 Old 06-23-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEAUDIO View Post
Hello

Any Monitor Audio contacts dealers or where to audition looking at the MA Gold 200 G5 mode. Thanks
On the monitor audio website you can see all dealers and their locations. Just call any that are near you.
post #12678 of 12823 Old 06-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hey all,

Hope everyone here is doing well.

I'm having a dilemma.

I'm a previous owner of GX200, RX6, PL300, etc.

The reason the PL and GX have gone by the wayside is because I never get to use my systems to the fullest extent, and it ends up being a waste.

The bug hit me again. I'm now looking into 3 different options:

1) The new silver series, in high gloss black. Wow, these are gorgeous.

2) 4G Gold series.

3) 5G Gold series.

I'm heavily leaning towards the silver. It's 50% TV shows on Netflix, 40% movies, and 10% music. I have a treated room and excellent subs, and XT32.

Anybody here own the new silver series and/or the others and have some thoughts?
post #12679 of 12823 Old 06-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've got the 5G Gold 300 for about 4 months now, but bought them specifically for music.

Some quick thoughts on them, all very subjective due to my ears and a challenging room with corner placement:
- They're power hungry. Originally I had them powered by an Anthem MRX-520 but it wasn't rated for 4ohm load and just couldn't properly power the speakers, they always sounded anemic and weak and distant. Now I've stepped up to a NAD C658 pre and Emotive XPA3 DR-2 amp (800watts per channel at 4ohms), night and day difference in depth and presence. They get face melting loud with zero distortion or clipping.

- To my ear they have a relatively narrow "sweet spot" both vertically and horizontally where you get the full sound stage. Mine are flanking a corner placed TV in a sunken living room and I've had to toe them out a bit to fill the entire room as well as the adjacent kitchen while still getting an even sound stage in my primary listening spot. If I had a better laid out room specifically designed for media this wouldn't be as big of a problem.

- They dip pretty low but completely drop off at 32hz so for me adding a sub was a requirement and I added a Golden Ear SuperSub-X to the mix.
- They are sensitive to room placement and sound reflection, I had to ditch my large TV stand in trade for a small A/V cabinet as well as add sound diffusers to the wall/corner behind them to provide room to breathe as well as project more sound out into the room.

All that said, now that I have placement and power sorted out I love these things. I auditioned a ton of similarly priced speakers from Paradigm, KEF, Klipsch, B&W, Definitive, Martin Logan - none of them came close to the Gold 300 in sound clarity and depth and accuracy.
post #12680 of 12823 Old 07-04-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb357 View Post
I've got the 5G Gold 300 for about 4 months now, but bought them specifically for music.

Some quick thoughts on them, all very subjective due to my ears and a challenging room with corner placement:
- They're power hungry. Originally I had them powered by an Anthem MRX-520 but it wasn't rated for 4ohm load and just couldn't properly power the speakers, they always sounded anemic and weak and distant. Now I've stepped up to a NAD C658 pre and Emotive XPA3 DR-2 amp (800watts per channel at 4ohms), night and day difference in depth and presence. They get face melting loud with zero distortion or clipping.

- To my ear they have a relatively narrow "sweet spot" both vertically and horizontally where you get the full sound stage. Mine are flanking a corner placed TV in a sunken living room and I've had to toe them out a bit to fill the entire room as well as the adjacent kitchen while still getting an even sound stage in my primary listening spot. If I had a better laid out room specifically designed for media this wouldn't be as big of a problem.

- They dip pretty low but completely drop off at 32hz so for me adding a sub was a requirement and I added a Golden Ear SuperSub-X to the mix.
- They are sensitive to room placement and sound reflection, I had to ditch my large TV stand in trade for a small A/V cabinet as well as add sound diffusers to the wall/corner behind them to provide room to breathe as well as project more sound out into the room.

All that said, now that I have placement and power sorted out I love these things. I auditioned a ton of similarly priced speakers from Paradigm, KEF, Klipsch, B&W, Definitive, Martin Logan - none of them came close to the Gold 300 in sound clarity and depth and accuracy.
I have the Gold 200 (4th Gen) as part of my 5.2.4 setup. Love the sound but sounds even better paired with the dual SVS PC 4000 subs 🙂

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #12681 of 12823 Old 07-07-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Should Gold 50s A’s surrounds have power amp?

Do you think at 86 dB effficiency my Gold 50s that I use as surrounds would benifit from a power amp in the 100-200 wpc range in a smallish room (17x12.5x7.5) or would the 60 wpc from my NAD 758 suffice?
I have a 170 wpc amp for my front 3 but not sure what to do about 50 as side surrounds?

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #12682 of 12823 Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosamsung View Post
Do you think at 86 dB effficiency my Gold 50s that I use as surrounds would benifit from a power amp in the 100-200 wpc range in a smallish room (17x12.5x7.5) or would the 60 wpc from my NAD 758 suffice?
I have a 170 wpc amp for my front 3 but not sure what to do about 50 as side surrounds?
With the front 3 channels not being powered by the receiver, go with NAD for the sides & rears (if you're using them). The 60wpc is "all channels driven" spec, so the 50's should sing for you.
post #12683 of 12823 Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZICK View Post
Quote:
With the front 3 channels not being powered by the receiver, go with NAD for the sides & rears (if you're using them). The 60wpc is "all channels driven" spec, so the 50's should sing for you.
That’s reassuring-thanks for the feedback

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #12684 of 12823 Old 07-11-2019, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
That’s reassuring-thanks for the feedback
Chirosamsung- you have taken the "heavy lifting" off the receiver's power supply when you have 170 wpc amp for the front 3 channels- those are your most demanding channels. If the NAD 758 is only powering the side effects, you're getting the full 110wpc to the 50's.
Edit- How and what is powering the 4 Atmos ceiling? The NAD is only a 7 channel processor, adding an Atmos card to it?
That's a nice system you're building.

Last edited by ZICK; 07-11-2019 at 11:43 PM.
post #12685 of 12823 Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZICK View Post
Quote:
That’️s reassuring-thanks for the feedback
Chirosamsung- you have taken the "heavy lifting" off the receiver's power supply when you have 170 wpc amp for the front 3 channels- those are your most demanding channels. If the NAD 758 is only powering the side effects, you're getting the full 110wpc to the 50's.
Edit- How and what is powering the 4 Atmos ceiling? The NAD is only a 7 channel processor, adding an Atmos card to it?
That's a nice system you're building.
I don’t think the NaD is doing 110 as it isn’t just the sides it’s powering but also one other pair of atmos/height/ceiling speakers as well.

To be clear-my 5 channel amp is currently driving my LCR and one pair of height/ceiling while the NAD is powering the side surrounds and the other heights.

The NAD makes you power one set of heights externally for anything beyond 5.1.2 and I have 5.1.4 hence the need to use 2 channels from amp for them

NAD 758, Anthem MCA-5
post #12686 of 12823 Old 07-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160

So I’m considering upgrading to a 5.1.4 ATMOS setup. My system is mainly HT based for movie and TV but I’m getting back into music more. Currently I have a Denon X3000 with MA Silver 6 towers and Silver Center as LCR with 4 Polk 8” in ceiling speakers for front height and surrounds, these 4 will become my ATMOS channels. Of course I’ll have to upgrade my AVR also to get ATMOS but that’s for a different thread.
My initial thought is to just get some MA Silver bookshelf speakers and call it a day. But after looking the new Silver series speakers I’m considering upgrading my towers to a Silver 8/300 or even silver 10/500 and move the 6’s to the surrounds. I mention the older generation since they can still be bought new at a slightly lower cost then the new generation Silver series. And to make this even more expensive I’ve also considered the Gold 300. I read someone’s post about the Gold 300’s saying they are power hungry so I’d need to do separates most likely with these. That piano ebony is just beautiful and since I’m getting back into music more I think they would be the best for stereo listening.
Here are the questions.
Is using my Silver 6 tower speakers for rear surrounds a waste? If so then the bookshelf speakers would be the way to go.
If tower speakers for rear surround are a good idea and not a waste which set of the above mentioned towers would integrate best for me?
Would the Silver 10/500 out play my small silver center which I can’t upgrade due to size limitations or would the Silver 300 be better suited? How would the Gold 300’s pair with the silver center and silver 6 towers during movie time?
Depending on what I do with my speakers will help me decide on receiver and maybe even an amp. Though I’m not sure which I need to decide on first, I’m guessing deciding on speakers is the best move since then I’d know how much power I’ll need.
I hope this makes sense and TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gamecock24; 07-18-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #12687 of 12823 Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
So I’m considering upgrading to a 5.1.4 ATMOS setup. My system is mainly HT based for movie and TV but I’m getting back into music more. Currently I have a Denon X3000 with MA Silver 6 towers and Silver Center as LCR with 4 Polk 8” in ceiling speakers for front height and surrounds, these 4 will become my ATMOS channels. Of course I’ll have to upgrade my AVR also to get ATMOS but that’s for a different thread.
My initial thought is to just get some MA Silver bookshelf speakers and call it a day. But after looking the new Silver series speakers I’m considering upgrading my towers to a Silver 8/300 or even silver 10/500 and move the 6’s to the surrounds. I mention the older generation since they can still be bought new at a slightly lower cost then the new generation Silver series. And to make this even more expensive I’ve also considered the Gold 300. I read someone’s post about the Gold 300’s saying they are power hungry so I’d need to do separates most likely with these. That piano ebony is just beautiful and since I’m getting back into music more I think they would be the best for stereo listening.
Here are the questions.
Is using my Silver 6 tower speakers for rear surrounds a waste? If so then the bookshelf speakers would be the way to go.
If tower speakers for rear surround are a good idea and not a waste which set of the above mentioned towers would integrate best for me?
Would the Silver 10/500 out play my small silver center which I can’t upgrade due to size limitations or would the Silver 300 be better suited? How would the Gold 300’s pair with the silver center and silver 6 towers during movie time?
Depending on what I do with my speakers will help me decide on receiver and maybe even an amp. Though I’m not sure which I need to decide on first, I’m guessing deciding on speakers is the best move since then I’d know how much power I’ll need.
I hope this makes sense and TIA!

Sounds to me like you’ve got money burning a hole in your pocket The most mutually beneficial solution is to just give it to me. I’ll make a few bucks and you won’t have it to bother you or your pocket.

If you’d rather be selfish, just get the silver bookshelves and call it a day. I started with rosenut RX8s and RX center. Over the next few years, I was able to buy a couple pair of matching RX1s. Whenever I bought a pair, I would put them in as mains and move the RX8s to surround duty for a week or so to test them out. Sure they sounded good as surrounds, but crossed to subs around 80 there wasn’t much of a difference. Theoretically more dynamic, but nothing obviously noticeable to me. Definitely not anything that would push me to get a new lcr to keep them there. So, personally I don’t think using towers as surrounds is going to give you whatever improvement you’re seeking. But they would be fine as surrounds even if you got a new lcr. Only caveat being if you listen to much music in surround sound.

Now if you want different speakers for music, then that’s something else. My RX8s have been my daily speakers for >5yrs (don’t remember when I actually bought them). During that time I’ve gotten to hear some gold and platinum towers, though not in my own room. While both were good, there were more similarities than differences between them and the RX8s. MA obviously shares a house sound between their lines, just with more refinement as you move up I guess. Again though, I had to pay attention to hear differences with familiar material, ymmv.

I really wanted to be floored by the gold and plats and assumed I would be because of a bunch of reading I’d done about ribbon tweeters. But while present, the differences were subtle and wouldn’t be worth the price of admission to me. I still think their bubinga on the golds was their nicest finish.

I’ve looked for a great, more affordable alternative. The Ascend Acoustic Sierra Towers w/RAAL ribbon tweeters seem to fit the bill. I haven’t had a chance to hear them yet nor is it quite time to buy, but they are first on my list to audition when I’m ready. Measurements and reviews are overwhelmingly positive so they pique my interest. The Philharmonic BMR did too, though it’s now in the same price range as the raal towers and sold by Salk. May try them as a diy project if a kit materializes.

I’d definitely try to audition the speakers yourself to see if the improvement you’re looking for exists within them. But your ears will let you know that.

Hope you’re doing well, it’s been a while. How those end tables working out for ya?

Gamecock24 likes this.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html

Last edited by ambesolman; 07-22-2019 at 11:04 PM.
post #12688 of 12823 Old 07-23-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Sounds to me like you’ve got money burning a hole in your pocket The most mutually beneficial solution is to just give it to me. I’ll make a few bucks and you won’t have it to bother you or your pocket.

If you’d rather be selfish, just get the silver bookshelves and call it a day. I started with rosenut RX8s and RX center. Over the next few years, I was able to buy a couple pair of matching RX1s. Whenever I bought a pair, I would put them in as mains and move the RX8s to surround duty for a week or so to test them out. Sure they sounded good as surrounds, but crossed to subs around 80 there wasn’t much of a difference. Theoretically more dynamic, but nothing obviously noticeable to me. Definitely not anything that would push me to get a new lcr to keep them there. So, personally I don’t think using towers as surrounds is going to give you whatever improvement you’re seeking. But they would be fine as surrounds even if you got a new lcr. Only caveat being if you listen to much music in surround sound.

Now if you want different speakers for music, then that’s something else. My RX8s have been my daily speakers for >5yrs (don’t remember when I actually bought them). During that time I’ve gotten to hear some gold and platinum towers, though not in my own room. While both were good, there were more similarities than differences between them and the RX8s. MA obviously shares a house sound between their lines, just with more refinement as you move up I guess. Again though, I had to pay attention to hear differences with familiar material, ymmv.

I really wanted to be floored by the gold and plats and assumed I would be because of a bunch of reading I’d done about ribbon tweeters. But while present, the differences were subtle and wouldn’t be worth the price of admission to me. I still think their bubinga on the golds was their nicest finish.

I’ve looked for a great, more affordable alternative. The Ascend Acoustic Sierra Towers w/RAAL ribbon tweeters seem to fit the bill. I haven’t had a chance to hear them yet nor is it quite time to buy, but they are first on my list to audition when I’m ready. Measurements and reviews are overwhelmingly positive so they pique my interest. The Philharmonic BMR did too, though it’s now in the same price range as the raal towers and sold by Salk. May try them as a diy project if a kit materializes.

I’d definitely try to audition the speakers yourself to see if the improvement you’re looking for exists within them. But your ears will let you know that.

Hope you’re doing well, it’s been a while. How those end tables working out for ya?

I wish I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. I’m still paying on my SI screen I bought last month.
The Silver 100 bookshelves would probably more than fit bill for surround duty but stands would be needed so that’s an added expense.
I do still like my Silver 6 but I have a terrible dip around 70hz in my room. I’ve EQ’d the bass as much as I want too and lowered the crossover for the mains to 60hz and that helps a good bit but I’m starting to thinking maybe a bigger tower might do better. At the same time maybe more power would help bring that dip up to flatten it more.
I have found a MA Gold dealer in Greenville maybe an hours ride from me but I don’t think they will have the Golds in stock to demo considering it’s an appliance chain store, Jeff Lynch, and if they did I don’t have faith they would be set up in a proper room on separate amps, I envision something similar to a Magnolia showroom. Other than that Atlanta has the next closest HiFi store that would have them to demo. I know the Gold 300 are pricey but I don’t think I’d ever replace them if I go that route but I’d have to hear them first to decide.
I do remember before I bought the Silver 6 I did look into Ascend speakers, the Sierras and the Mini Towers. At that time I wasn’t willing to spend as much and I found a deal for my current 6’s on Audigon so I ended up them.
I still need to run some wire in order to have ear level surrounds for 5.1.4 but when I do I think I’m going to try my old Polk monitor towers just to hear the difference with the new speaker locations. That may tide me over for a little while but will eventually drive me crazy having mismatched speakers.
It has been a long time since I’ve come to a GTG but life is good. Ive got a PJ and screen now so my HT is growing even if it is in my living room. I never did build a second sub since the wife was t happy about the size of the first one. I guess I should have gone with a smaller sealer box if I wanted two subs. The one ported 18” does shake the house though but a second might help me in the 70hz range where my dip is. Nick has a new 15” sub that I could probably sneak in but ATMOS is really my next goal. With my AVR not being able to do HDR and no monitor 2 out, it doesn’t integrate well the PJ. I have to use Zone 2 for video to PJ from directv and I can only have the Oppo hooked to the PJ. It’s really inconvenient how many remotes and buttons I have to use to make it all work so just image the night mare when I’m not home and my daughter wants to watch a movie. An AVR or Pre/Pro and amp really need to be my next purchases and most likely will be. Im considering Denon, Marantz and Anthem for receivers. I’m just trying to establish a plan this time around.
Dang that was a long post for me.

post #12689 of 12823 Old 07-23-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
I wish I had the money burning a hole in my pocket. I’m still paying on my SI screen I bought last month.
The Silver 100 bookshelves would probably more than fit bill for surround duty but stands would be needed so that’s an added expense.
I do still like my Silver 6 but I have a terrible dip around 70hz in my room. I’ve EQ’d the bass as much as I want too and lowered the crossover for the mains to 60hz and that helps a good bit but I’m starting to thinking maybe a bigger tower might do better. At the same time maybe more power would help bring that dip up to flatten it more.
I have found a MA Gold dealer in Greenville maybe an hours ride from me but I don’t think they will have the Golds in stock to demo considering it’s an appliance chain store, Jeff Lynch, and if they did I don’t have faith they would be set up in a proper room on separate amps, I envision something similar to a Magnolia showroom. Other than that Atlanta has the next closest HiFi store that would have them to demo. I know the Gold 300 are pricey but I don’t think I’d ever replace them if I go that route but I’d have to hear them first to decide.
I do remember before I bought the Silver 6 I did look into Ascend speakers, the Sierras and the Mini Towers. At that time I wasn’t willing to spend as much and I found a deal for my current 6’s on Audigon so I ended up them.
I still need to run some wire in order to have ear level surrounds for 5.1.4 but when I do I think I’m going to try my old Polk monitor towers just to hear the difference with the new speaker locations. That may tide me over for a little while but will eventually drive me crazy having mismatched speakers.
It has been a long time since I’ve come to a GTG but life is good. Ive got a PJ and screen now so my HT is growing even if it is in my living room. I never did build a second sub since the wife was t happy about the size of the first one. I guess I should have gone with a smaller sealer box if I wanted two subs. The one ported 18” does shake the house though but a second might help me in the 70hz range where my dip is. Nick has a new 15” sub that I could probably sneak in but ATMOS is really my next goal. With my AVR not being able to do HDR and no monitor 2 out, it doesn’t integrate well the PJ. I have to use Zone 2 for video to PJ from directv and I can only have the Oppo hooked to the PJ. It’s really inconvenient how many remotes and buttons I have to use to make it all work so just image the night mare when I’m not home and my daughter wants to watch a movie. An AVR or Pre/Pro and amp really need to be my next purchases and most likely will be. Im considering Denon, Marantz and Anthem for receivers. I’m just trying to establish a plan this time around.
Dang that was a long post for me.

Yeah I think a second sub would help that dip more than anything else since new fronts would likely be in the same place as your current speakers.

I went from using Sony receivers for years to the denon x4000 I have now. It’s been good for the most part, though buggy at times and unresponsive requiring a brief unplugging. May go the anthem route myself next time around.

post #12690 of 12823 Old 07-27-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack31489 View Post
Has anyone compared some older RS series to the newer silver series or gold bookshelves? As always I have come upon the upgrade bug and wondering if anyone has compared older offering to the newer MA models. I have lost my "wow" factor over the years and wondering if updated MA would help fill the void. This would strictly be used for HT use. Thanks in advance.
I have the RS Silver 6's and LCR as well and often wonder if going to the newest would be a improvement or just a sideways step. Did you make a purchase?

Douglas R. Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba , tube amp , tubes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page