Klipsch owner thread - Page 1649 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23537Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #49441 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 02:46 AM
Member
 
Dturner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post
let us know how you like them. Is this the 1st time you have listened to klipsch? Your ears may need time to adjust. Also the room plays a big part on the sound
Yes it is. Well of a nicer klipsch line anyway. If I like them enough I'll get the rp-260s and 440 most likely as well. But I figured the best place to start is by auditioning the same size bookshelf as my B&Ws and go from there. I have no room treatment yet admittedly, that's one area I need to learn to study up on
Dturner04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49442 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Robbiey60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Yes it is. Well of a nicer klipsch line anyway. If I like them enough I'll get the rp-260s and 440 most likely as well. But I figured the best place to start is by auditioning the same size bookshelf as my B&Ws and go from there. I have no room treatment yet admittedly, that's one area I need to learn to study up on
Yea if you're used to B&W Klipsch is probably at the other end of the spectrum. Try keep reflections down in room. I have simple throw rugs hung on the walls at 1st reflection points and they do wonders. Play with toe in/out and more importantly give it at least a week solid listening to become accustomed to the difference. Dont write them off straight away. My friend went from a sony mini system(about as bad as it gets) to a full Klipsch system. At 1st he said it was very harsh. I told him the same as I am suggesting here. He gave it a few weeks, put some drapes up and now swears by his setup. It is entirely possible you will not like them but that will be up to your room and your ears. Good luck!
rudyr likes this.

Last edited by Robbiey60; 05-27-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Robbiey60 is offline  
post #49443 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 04:23 AM
Member
 
Dturner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post
Yea if your used to B&W Klipsch is probably at the other end of the spectrum. Try keep reflections down in room. I have simple throw rugs hung on the walls at 1st reflection points and they do wonders. Play with toe in/out and more importantly give it at least a week solid listening to become accustomed to the difference. Dont write them off straight away. My friend went from a sony mini system(about as bad as it gets) to a full Klipsch system. At 1st he said it was very harsh. I told him the same as I am suggesting here. He gave it a few weeks, put some drapes up and now swears by his setup. It is entirely possible you will not like them but that will be up to your room and your ears. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I will defiantly give them some time. I knew they would be very different but knowing I'm not exactly a seasoned audiophile I wanted to know what that very different is because I might actually liking it more
Dturner04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49444 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So here's another newbie question about placement out of curiousity...for rear speakers/surrounds in a 5.1 setup, since I bought a pair of RP-150M's - should I be mounting them to the side walls near the back and firing towards the center of the room (or angled a bit forward) or mounting them to the back wall and just firing forward? I'm debating, since they have a keyhole mount, of using that...or just buying a couple of small shelves and mounting those to the wall to put them on, rather than using stands. I can't seem to find mounts that adjust to wide enough to fit the 150M's yet.

edit - looks like the first option is the correct one, based off of this? Shows that the surrounds should be to the direct left and right of you, and only in 7.1 do you have a surround back L/R. http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

Last edited by rrobinson1216; 05-27-2016 at 03:12 PM.
rrobinson1216 is offline  
post #49445 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Robbiey60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobinson1216 View Post
So here's another newbie question about placement out of curiousity...for rear speakers/surrounds in a 5.1 setup, since I bought a pair of RP-150M's - should I be mounting them to the side walls near the back and firing towards the center of the room (or angled a bit forward) or mounting them to the back wall and just firing forward? I'm debating, since they have a keyhole mount, of using that...or just buying a couple of small shelves and mounting those to the wall to put them on, rather than using stands. I can't seem to find mounts that adjust to wide enough to fit the 150M's yet.

edit - looks like the first option is the correct one, based off of this? Shows that the surrounds should be to the direct left and right of you, and only in 7.1 do you have a surround back L/R. http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/
The closer you get to that position the better but also depends on your room and preferences.
rrobinson1216 likes this.
Robbiey60 is offline  
post #49446 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good to know - what do you usually prefer? I think I have a placement spot that will work, but I just need to find a couple mounts that will work with these speakers - a lot of them don't go wide enough or don't support enough weight for them. I'm thinking about getting someone from amazon's home services that does system installations to come do the mounting part and see if they can hide the speaker cables decently well, but we'll see.
rrobinson1216 is offline  
post #49447 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Robbiey60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobinson1216 View Post
Good to know - what do you usually prefer? I think I have a placement spot that will work, but I just need to find a couple mounts that will work with these speakers - a lot of them don't go wide enough or don't support enough weight for them. I'm thinking about getting someone from amazon's home services that does system installations to come do the mounting part and see if they can hide the speaker cables decently well, but we'll see.
My current room has my surrounds to the left and right of my couch and slightly forward, pointing slightly back. My previous room I had the surrounds further behind and aiming forward with a single surround back between them, similar to a mirror image of the LCR. Here is some old pics but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150419_194830.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1464409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150419_194922.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	1464417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130608_165354_LLS.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	1464425  

(2)RF-83 (1)RC-64ii (2)RF-82ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" subs in 200l sealed enclosures
Onkyo 705 pre/pro and rear surrounds
DSPeaker Antimode 8033 sub eq Behringer EP4000 subs
NAD C275BEE mains
AMC 2N100-3 surrounds and center

Last edited by Robbiey60; 05-27-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Robbiey60 is offline  
post #49448 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Member
 
Dturner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Finally got the RP-160s i ordered form crutchfield hook up and right of the bat I can say... I like em. Now to give them time, watch a few movies all the way through to see if I end up prefering them over my 685s2. If so I think the RP-160s with go back for some Rp-260s. The build quality looks good. my only complaint is the binding post are very poor looking compared to my B&Ws. But as long as they work I guess that's cool because no one sees them anyway
ceptorman and Robbiey60 like this.
Dturner04 is offline  
post #49449 of 58412 Old 05-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice...this is for my bedroom, and I have the bed up against the left wall, so that's mainly why I'm looking at mounts vs stands, plus my computer is on the right wall, though I could shift it to the left and put the speaker to the right of it. I guess the worst part about my setup is that to be truly centered you have to be on the bed but not actually laying on it, sitting on the foot of it - and a lot of time I'm sitting at the computer which is facing the right wall of the room. Either way though, these 150's still aren't tiny! I bet they put out some good sound.
rrobinson1216 is offline  
post #49450 of 58412 Old 05-28-2016, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,142
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Finally got the RP-160s i ordered form crutchfield hook up and right of the bat I can say... I like em. Now to give them time, watch a few movies all the way through to see if I end up prefering them over my 685s2. If so I think the RP-160s with go back for some Rp-260s. The build quality looks good. my only complaint is the binding post are very poor looking compared to my B&Ws. But as long as they work I guess that's cool because no one sees them anyway
Great news. You might as well save the upgrade steps and get the RP280s!
rrobinson1216 likes this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
ceptorman is offline  
post #49451 of 58412 Old 05-28-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
IMWhizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 328
As of this week I am a proud owner of a RP-450C center and R-115 subwoofer added to my four active XF-48's!! Man the sound is unbelievable!


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Soupy1970 likes this.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
IMWhizzle is online now  
post #49452 of 58412 Old 05-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post
Hello and welcome!
Depends on your budget, space and what kind of sub. Generally we suggest getting the biggest you can afford and physically fit. In saying that if paired with a good sub bookshelf models are great too. The rp150m may be enough for you. The best bookshelf model is the rp160m. For floorstanders the rp260f are a solid performer. Any smaller and I would suggest the rp160m instead with its larger horn. Ask more questions if you need to!
Thanks Robbiey60
I have ordered rp-250c and rp-260f, yesterday I received center speaker. It sounds so nice, it has good depth and clarity. my old energy center was serving purpose but there is huge difference. Now my both left and right are gone down due to center channel. I am eagerly waiting for towers.
Thanks,
Kini62 and Robbiey60 like this.
moizey2k3 is offline  
post #49453 of 58412 Old 05-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Member
 
Dturner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Do any of you guys but from Sound Distributors? I noticed they have some pretty good deals on eBay and appear to be an authorized dealer. Also if I decided to go with a pair of rp-260f which center would be better the 250c or 440c?
Dturner04 is offline  
post #49454 of 58412 Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Robbiey60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Do any of you guys but from Sound Distributors? I noticed they have some pretty good deals on eBay and appear to be an authorized dealer. Also if I decided to go with a pair of rp-260f which center would be better the 250c or 440c?
A lot of guys on here recommend sound distributors but call in person to get the best prices. Your call on the center but the 440 has a smaller 4" horn while the 250 has a 5" horn the same size as the 450. You may well save a bit by calling and be able to swing the 450c.

(2)RF-83 (1)RC-64ii (2)RF-82ii (2)RC-62ii
(2)Exodus audio tempest-x 15" subs in 200l sealed enclosures
Onkyo 705 pre/pro and rear surrounds
DSPeaker Antimode 8033 sub eq Behringer EP4000 subs
NAD C275BEE mains
AMC 2N100-3 surrounds and center
Robbiey60 is offline  
post #49455 of 58412 Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 PM
Senior Member
 
mpirnat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Upstate Ohio
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Do any of you guys but from Sound Distributors? I noticed they have some pretty good deals on eBay and appear to be an authorized dealer. Also if I decided to go with a pair of rp-260f which center would be better the 250c or 440c?
Sound Distributors and Acoustic Sound Design are both well respected and often recommended.

As for the center, I'd try to save up for the 450C, if only to avoid the "what if"s.
mpirnat is offline  
post #49456 of 58412 Old 05-28-2016, 11:48 PM
Member
 
Dturner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thanks guys I'll have to give them a call. I figured the 450 would be the best just wasn't sure if I had room for it since its huge. Guess I'll need to make room lol
ceptorman likes this.
Dturner04 is offline  
post #49457 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Ok fellas and girl fellas, I am trying to figure out a new HT system starting with 3.0 setup.

Lets say my budget is around $2600 for all three. Dont tell me to go 2.1 or 5.1 or 96.2.34 please. Im starting with 3.0 and that decision has been made

Anyway, I have been told by a fellow Klipsch owner that there is a couple places to call to get deals on Klipsch speakers. One being sound distributors and theres another one. I was hoping to get a specific person I can discuss and deal with.

I was originally looking at the 450c and RP 280f but was told I could bump into their Flagship like of RF towers and RC centers within my budget. If you cannot discuss prices or phone numbers on the forum please PM me some info.

Thank you Very much
Robbiey60 and rrobinson1216 like this.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #49458 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Thanks guys I'll have to give them a call. I figured the 450 would be the best just wasn't sure if I had room for it since its huge. Guess I'll need to make room lol
You'll get a killer price on the 450 and won't be able to pass it up, I guarantee it...their price was crazy low. The only reason I didn't end up ordering from them was that I found a local dealer that would match Eric's quote and I could pick it up locally, which felt safer to me since I don't trust the delivery guys leaving large boxes by my apartment door...

Theriddler, call sounddistributors and ask for Eric, or leave a message for them on the website - he'll email you back that way with quotes.
rrobinson1216 is offline  
post #49459 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South GA.
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I bought a pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 speakers beck in the late 1980s. There were great speakers (to me). Was powering them with an Adcom GFA 550 and Adcom pre. I screwed up one day and touched one of the connectors to another while it was on (yes I know freaking VERY stupid mistake). That quickly fried my beloved Klipschs.

I put them in a closet and bought a pair 0f B&W 683 S2 and B&W sub. Good enough for a while. I want to replace the woofers in the Klipsch speakers so I can have that sound I have grown to love over many years. Are there replacement woofers that are comparable, or even better than the originals? Is it as easy as removing and unsoldering the old ones and soldering in a new set?
gottajam is offline  
post #49460 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cybertec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Staten Island,N.Y
Posts: 1,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dturner04 View Post
Do any of you guys but from Sound Distributors? I noticed they have some pretty good deals on eBay and appear to be an authorized dealer. Also if I decided to go with a pair of rp-260f which center would be better the 250c or 440c?
Bought a pair of RF-83's and RC-64 center channel from them years ago, great service and fast shipping.
cybertec is offline  
post #49461 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Soupy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St Louis Metro (IL.)
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottajam View Post
I bought a pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 speakers beck in the late 1980s. There were great speakers (to me). Was powering them with an Adcom GFA 550 and Adcom pre. I screwed up one day and touched one of the connectors to another while it was on (yes I know freaking VERY stupid mistake). That quickly fried my beloved Klipschs.

I put them in a closet and bought a pair 0f B&W 683 S2 and B&W sub. Good enough for a while. I want to replace the woofers in the Klipsch speakers so I can have that sound I have grown to love over many years. Are there replacement woofers that are comparable, or even better than the originals? Is it as easy as removing and unsoldering the old ones and soldering in a new set?
Might want to check with Bob Crites. He specializes in Klipsch speaker repairs and replacement parts. http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Denon X6200W - Klipsch KLF-10 Fronts - Klipsch KLF-C7 Center - Klipsch KLF-C7 X 2 Surrounds - Klipsch RB-61 II Back surround -OSD ACE850 ceiling x 4 Atmos - Dual HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subs - 4 Dayton Audio BST-1 Bass Shakers with SA230 Amp - BenQ W1070 projector - 106" Antra fixed Screen
Soupy1970 is offline  
post #49462 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South GA.
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Thanks Soupy. I will check it out. It makes me sad, I have a Adcom GFA 5500 power, Adcom GTP 450 pre and these great sounding (at one time) speakers. This set up used to sound so good. I miss it and it has been bugging more and more to get it all fixed to listen to it again.

ARC Ref 3, Parasound A21, Parasound T3, Marantz SA-15S2, SAE E102 eq, Joseph Audio Pulsar, Rythmik F12
gottajam is offline  
post #49463 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Soupy1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St Louis Metro (IL.)
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottajam View Post
Thanks Soupy. I will check it out. It makes me sad, I have a Adcom GFA 5500 power, Adcom GTP 450 pre and these great sounding (at one time) speakers. This set up used to sound so good. I miss it and it has been bugging more and more to get it all fixed to listen to it again.
Also check with Klipsch, they might actually have replacement woofers in stock. I had a dust cap come off one of my 1997 KLF woofers last year. They had the 10" woofer in stock for $110. Although I decided to just get speaker glue and reattach thecap.
Soupy1970 is offline  
post #49464 of 58412 Old 05-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, it's finally done. I got all 6 speakers set up and running. The RP-150M's for the surrounds, I found stands that measure about 5 inches squared, so instead of just setting them up there, I used some heavy duty Scotch double-sided foam adhesive...peeled one side off and stuck strips all along the bottom and left the top on to put the speakers on for a bit to let them stick, then peeled off the other side and stuck on the speakers. Seems to be quite sturdy!

As for listening position, I moved my bed to the center of the room at the back wall. I have the L/R/C off the wall by about a foot, L/R toed in a bit. The surrounds are at about the middle of the bed, not at the very back, and are toed facing back a bit, towards me and the back wall. So far it sounds great! Of course, not having had a system this large before I might need to have a few friends come audition it. I did run Yamaha's YPAO setup, but I turned up the center channel a bit from where they had it. They have the subwoofer at -10db, as far down as the options go...I guess that's a sign of the room being too small for the setup?

Watching The Avengers action scenes a bit, and this is quite amazing. Going to be doing some gaming later on.

Side note: I need a house...like yesterday. This is going to make my neighbors hate me, I think...
rrobinson1216 is offline  
post #49465 of 58412 Old 05-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Alanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottajam View Post
I bought a pair of Klipsch KG 5.5 speakers beck in the late 1980s. There were great speakers (to me). Was powering them with an Adcom GFA 550 and Adcom pre. I screwed up one day and touched one of the connectors to another while it was on (yes I know freaking VERY stupid mistake). That quickly fried my beloved Klipschs.

I put them in a closet and bought a pair 0f B&W 683 S2 and B&W sub. Good enough for a while. I want to replace the woofers in the Klipsch speakers so I can have that sound I have grown to love over many years. Are there replacement woofers that are comparable, or even better than the originals? Is it as easy as removing and unsoldering the old ones and soldering in a new set?
You might also try a company in St. Petersburg, Florida called Simply Speakers. I pulled the speakers out of some Klipsch Academies and shipped them to Simply Speakers. They rebuilt the speakers and sent them back. So far so good with their work and they stuck to the quote they gave me. They also sell speaker parts and glue on their website.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
Alanlee is offline  
post #49466 of 58412 Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 535
So I got my RP280Fs and 450 center channel yesterday.... so far I am totally, completely happy with them. Receiver is a Yamaha 3050 and I'm coming from Atlantic Tech 350s. Crossing them over at 40hz. The most surprising thing is, with the AT's, I was having to set the EQ curve to "natural" because "flat" was simply too bright and harsh. Since these are Klipsch speakers I just assumed flat would also be too much; however, "natural" was too tame so I tried out "flat" and it was glorious. It's a very forward, aggressive sound but it's not grating on the ears.

And I don't know if it's just because I had to move one of my subwoofers and it's new location is that much better or if these things really do put out ridiculous amounts of bass but I am absolutely loving the bass I'm getting right now. I feel like I finally have the midbass I was looking for. Everything I threw at it just sounded glorious. The opening of Pacific Rim in particular was frightening. So far I haven't pushed the volume more than -10dbs below what I had the volume set to with the ATs for fear of destroying the house.

Voices don't sound the most natural but dialogue is very easy to understand.

However.... these things don't have 5-way binding posts??? What the crap is that about? Edit: I've since learned that the caps come off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setup.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1471529  
pheenan and kelly.mcaloney like this.

Last edited by javanpohl; 06-02-2016 at 06:59 AM.
javanpohl is offline  
post #49467 of 58412 Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curtishd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Still doing research so I have a few questions.
How would you all rate the Klipsch THX set up VS the Reference Premier set up?
I mostly watch movies and sports and rarely some music.
curtishd is online now  
post #49468 of 58412 Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
javanpohl - what type of termination do you have on your speaker wires?

If you have banana plugs, you need to remove the plastic caps from the center of the binding posts. You can do this with a precision screwdriver.
adam2434 is offline  
post #49469 of 58412 Old 06-01-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
javanpohl - what type of termination do you have on your speaker wires?

If you have banana plugs, you need to remove the plastic caps from the center of the binding posts. You can do this with a precision screwdriver.
Sonufa... I was wondering if that thing was removable but I didn't see anything in the manual about it and wasn't about to start stabbing it. Yeah, I had banana plugs on them I'll probably put them back on though. I disconnect and reconnect the speakers fairly often
javanpohl is offline  
post #49470 of 58412 Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Question... on all these rear ported bookshelf speakers, if you're going to use them as surrounds and are fine with the crossover being a bit higher (80-120hz), does obstructing the port really matter?
javanpohl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off