Klipsch owner thread - Page 1822 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23535Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #54631 of 58407 Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
It requires a tv and the tv doesn’t arrive until next week
IIRC you should be able to see the MENU on the AVR front display.
gene4ht and ceptorman like this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
Louis Bartay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #54632 of 58407 Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
Maybe someone here can help. I just got a pair of brand new RP-280F's and an Emotiva S8. I've hooked all 3 up to a brand new Denon X2400h (no setup done). The sound completely lacks mids and lows. Perhaps the lack of lows is due to needing a bigger sub, so that's fair, but the mids are gone. I tested some RP-280f's setup in Best Buy and they sounded the same. I was hoping the sub would fill out the sound, as the highs are great. When listening to jazz, higher octave bass is lost, and when listening to classical (like Strauss) trombones, basses, and cellos are non-existant. Am I doing something wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post
I would check the easy things first. Are the speaker wires connected correctly? Can you connect the speakers to your other AVR? Are the factory jumpers connected to the back of the RP280s? Those are pretty dynamic speakers and should sound wonderful. A sub will help, but they still should have quite the low end. Most AVRs will let you manually make adjustments in the EQ section. Is one of the factory installed EQ settings in the AVR already set?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Run Audyssey or read in the owners manual how to adjust the speakers in the Eq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
It requires a tv and the tv doesn’t arrive until next week
It appears something is definitely amiss. As @ceptorman suggests, the RP-280F's should sound great...so start with ensuring the basic connections are correct. Then begin the process of elimination with the simplest configuration...i.e. only the AVR and the 280's...w/o the S8. Understand that properly setting up and blending a subwoofer to mains requires a combination of art and skill. Also, if I understood correctly, there was no difference using either AVR. If this was the case, then you'll need to try another set of speakers to ensure the 280's are not defective. What's a bit puzzling is your mention of the 280's at BB sounding similar. In any case, as @Louis Bartay mentioned, it's necessary to run Audyssey/YPAO to properly set up the system. If your TV is arriving late next week, you could possibly borrow a small TV set from someone or even buy and return an inexpensive one to complete the set up. Lastly, it would be rare, but it's possible you just don't like the sound of the 280's. Regardless, good luck with your troubleshooting. Hopefully, you'll find what's causing the issue so you can enjoy your new RP-280's
ceptorman likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #54633 of 58407 Old 01-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks, all. I'll do more digging tomorrow and run Audyssey. I've already redone every connection. Sound is pretty much the same on both receivers, correct. I did go find them at Best Buy on a Sony AVR and they also were pretty thin, ya. I'm just very confused. My wife isn't an audiophile, but I just put my Bose Soundlink III in the middle of the two RP-280Fs, attached the same iphone, with the same lightning adapter, to them, and the sound to night and day better. Out of a tiny speaker. The blend was fantastic. The bass really came through, and the mids were clear. She literally told me to just buy another one of those and return everything else. It's pretty disappointing.

As for the sub, I tried it without the sub as well, but it seems silly that a tiny Bose can literally play louder mids and bass. I am sure I can EQ some of it, but I think the EQ will need to be a pretty sharp slope for it to sound neutral.

p.s. we aren't listening to anything too bass heavy either. Vocal jazz, orchestral, musicals, and some pop. Definitely things where mid bass matters.

Last edited by Firstorlast; 01-13-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Firstorlast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #54634 of 58407 Old 01-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyforte View Post
Yes

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Feels like the Gen 1 RP serious came out just a few years ago. That was a fast refresh. When will they officially be released?

How would you compair the sound of the gen1 vs the gen2?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dprizal is offline  
post #54635 of 58407 Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
itsmyforte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: IN
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprizal View Post
Feels like the Gen 1 RP serious came out just a few years ago. That was a fast refresh. When will they officially be released?

How would you compair the sound of the gen1 vs the gen2?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I haven't heard any models yet, the release is 2018.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
itsmyforte is offline  
post #54636 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
Thanks, all. I'll do more digging tomorrow and run Audyssey. I've already redone every connection. Sound is pretty much the same on both receivers, correct. I did go find them at Best Buy on a Sony AVR and they also were pretty thin, ya. I'm just very confused. My wife isn't an audiophile, but I just put my Bose Soundlink III in the middle of the two RP-280Fs, attached the same iphone, with the same lightning adapter, to them, and the sound to night and day better. Out of a tiny speaker. The blend was fantastic. The bass really came through, and the mids were clear. She literally told me to just buy another one of those and return everything else. It's pretty disappointing.

As for the sub, I tried it without the sub as well, but it seems silly that a tiny Bose can literally play louder mids and bass. I am sure I can EQ some of it, but I think the EQ will need to be a pretty sharp slope for it to sound neutral.

p.s. we aren't listening to anything too bass heavy either. Vocal jazz, orchestral, musicals, and some pop. Definitely things where mid bass matters.
There so much to question. The first would be did you buy the speakers on the internet? Honestly, I would have gone to BestBuy BEFORE purchasing them. That way you could have a more informed opinion on how they were going to sound and/or ask questions and experiment as you did afterward.

Second, in the scenario above, I really question setup in so many ways it's hard to respond. I definitely don't think it's an EQ issue if the Bose were "night and day," better. If it were me I would take the Klipsch back. Btw, I definitely feel it could be a setup issue but if you have already gone to the trouble of hooking up 2 AVRs and several sets of speakers I can't imagine them improving that drastically, regardless what you do. That said, if you played the Bose and the Klipsch at the same SPL and the Bose sounded as you describe I gotta think something was wrong (defective) with the Klipsch speakers.
gene4ht likes this.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 01-14-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #54637 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
Just upgraded my system from 5.2 to 7.2 with additional pair of RP 160s. While my prepro (14 years old) is outdated in features, I wanted to get the most out of my prepro for little longer before switching to atmos and I have to say DTS ES matrix and Dolby Prologic IIx is pretty cool for 5.1 sources.
gene4ht likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #54638 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
I just put my Bose Soundlink III in the middle of the two RP-280Fs....night and day better. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
There so much to question...I really question setup in so many ways it's hard to respond....That said, if you played the Bose and the Klipsch at the same SPL and the Bose sounded as you describe I gotta think something was wrong (defective) with the Klipsch speakers.
This really is puzzling and also suspect possibly something in setup. Given that everything is setup correctly and the 280's are not defective, there could be another explanation. Are you and your wife used to listening to the Soundlink III? If this is the case, everything you listen to will be relative to the Bose. Some speakers, especially smaller ones, are purposefully designed to emphasize bass and mid bass. Other speakers, by contrast would then seem to sound flat...but in reality more accurate. If this were to be true, then it's a matter of adjusting to more accurate speakers....or not depending on your preference and tastes. YMMV

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #54639 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Just upgraded my system from 5.2 to 7.2 with additional pair of RP 160s. While my prepro (14 years old) is outdated in features, I wanted to get the most out of my prepro for little longer before switching to atmos and I have to say DTS ES matrix and Dolby Prologic IIx is pretty cool for 5.1 sources.
Isn't this hobby great! Every step we take gets us a little closer but never quite reaches nirvana! Atmos awaits you!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #54640 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Isn't this hobby great! Every step we take gets us a little closer but never quite reaches nirvana! Atmos awaits you!
This is me. I am at the stage that what is coming out of my speakers is sublime and the only real upgrade is going to come in the form of advancing coding technology. Yes, I am very tempted to go the Atmos route but probably won't until my Denon AVR-4311ci bites the dust....At that time I will look for a NIB slightly discontinued AVR that suits my needs.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #54641 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Isn't this hobby great! Every step we take gets us a little closer but never quite reaches nirvana! Atmos awaits you!
It would cost me a lot of money to just upgrade for atmos which includes upgrading prepro, more speakers, etc. I will probably do that same time I do 4K player and projector....or could be sooner depending on how fast I want to see my bank acct go broke. I have thought about cheap AVR for atmos processing but I have 12 channels of external amp power that even AVR could be waste of money and not use the onboard amps? And it would have to sound as good or better than my Rotel prepro.

Here are pics of the newly added RP160s for my 7.2 layout. And yes those are dual svs pb13s right behind the couch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26972875_10214860678892102_1375536805_o.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	771.1 KB
ID:	2345406   Click image for larger version

Name:	26828562_10214860678772099_1173737856_o.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	692.3 KB
ID:	2345420  
gene4ht likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #54642 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,142
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
It would cost me a lot of money to just upgrade for atmos which includes upgrading prepro, more speakers, etc. I will probably do that same time I do 4K player and projector....or could be sooner depending on how fast I want to see my bank acct go broke. I have thought about cheap AVR for atmos processing but I have 12 channels of external amp power that even AVR could be waste of money and not use the onboard amps? And it would have to sound as good or better than my Rotel prepro.

Here are pics of the newly added RP160s for my 7.2 layout. And yes those are dual svs pb13s right behind the couch.
Very nice system, room looks great. I'll bet those subs rattle your couch!
ereed likes this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
ceptorman is offline  
post #54643 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can anyone Please Recommend me 2 Side Speakers and a sub to Finish my setup


My current Set-up:

Towers = Klipsch RF-82 II
Center = Klipsch RC-62 II
Rears/surround = Klipsch RB-61 II

Thanks in advance
Tom Bergeron is offline  
post #54644 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bergeron View Post
Can anyone Please Recommend me 2 Side Speakers and a sub to Finish my setup


My current Set-up:

Towers = Klipsch RF-82 II
Center = Klipsch RC-62 II
Rears/surround = Klipsch RB-61 II

Thanks in advance
RP240s or RP250s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dprizal is offline  
post #54645 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,142
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
This really is puzzling and also suspect possibly something in setup. Given that everything is setup correctly and the 280's are not defective, there could be another explanation. Are you and your wife used to listening to the Soundlink III? If this is the case, everything you listen to will be relative to the Bose. Some speakers, especially smaller ones, are purposefully designed to emphasize bass and mid bass. Other speakers, by contrast would then seem to sound flat...but in reality more accurate. If this were to be true, then it's a matter of adjusting to more accurate speakers....or not depending on your preference and tastes. YMMV
I keep thinking he will come back and say the factory jumpers were missing, or something easily overlooked.
gene4ht likes this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
ceptorman is offline  
post #54646 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
This is me. I am at the stage that what is coming out of my speakers is sublime and the only real upgrade is going to come in the form of advancing coding technology. Yes, I am very tempted to go the Atmos route but probably won't until my Denon AVR-4311ci bites the dust....At that time I will look for a NIB slightly discontinued AVR that suits my needs.
I can definitely identify with that scenario. I held on to my Denon 5600 for a lot of years waiting for it to "bite the dust," but unlike many of today's pieces, it never did! Ultimately, I sold it to upgrade to HDMI and simultaneously upgraded to Klipsch. Currently, the Denon X7200WA would meet your criteria. But if you have the patience to wait a couple more years, the Marantz SR8012 (11 channels) or the impending availability of Denon's X8500H (13 channels) would be good candidates for replacing your 4311. As far as codecs are concerned, 3D sound (Atmos/DTS:X, Auro) is the real deal but an important consideration for upgrading at this point is HDMI 2.1 (significant bandwidth increase-ready for 8K) which probably won't be a standard and implemented at the factory until 2019. Meanwhile, although I invested in Atmos over a year ago, I'm looking to upgrade my AVR but am undecided whether to pull the trigger now, look for a short term solution, or wait another year. You know, real world problems!
ereed likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #54647 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
It would cost me a lot of money to just upgrade for atmos which includes upgrading prepro, more speakers, etc. I will probably do that same time I do 4K player and projector....or could be sooner depending on how fast I want to see my bank acct go broke. I have thought about cheap AVR for atmos processing but I have 12 channels of external amp power that even AVR could be waste of money and not use the onboard amps? And it would have to sound as good or better than my Rotel prepro.

Here are pics of the newly added RP160s for my 7.2 layout. And yes those are dual svs pb13s right behind the couch.
Very nice room and upgrade! And yes...I can certainly identify with your position as well! And it's fortunate that many of us have the discretionary spending at some point to upgrade. Having said this, my upgrade bug bit last year when I upgraded my PJ to faux 4K. Although I would have liked a true 4K PJ, ala Sony, I could not bring myself to spend 10K (5K now) at the time. I found the Epson to be fantastic...major improvement in brightness, color, resolution, and sharpness...not at all disappointed. And the upscaling of 1080 material to 4K is absolutely breathtaking! WRT to your Rotel prepro and external amps, I can appreciate your position. It sounds like it will be a matter of waiting for a quality prepro...perhaps Rotel, Marantz, or Emotiva?
ereed and ceptorman like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 01-14-2018 at 02:26 PM.
gene4ht is online now  
post #54648 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bergeron View Post
Can anyone Please Recommend me 2 Side Speakers and a sub to Finish my setup


My current Set-up:

Towers = Klipsch RF-82 II
Center = Klipsch RC-62 II
Rears/surround = Klipsch RB-61 II

Thanks in advance
It would be helpful if you could provide a bit more info....i.e. description and size of you room, your system's usage...movies vs music, and budget.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #54649 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post
I keep thinking he will come back and say the factory jumpers were missing, or something easily overlooked.
Agreed...hope so...but what's puzzling is he felt the 280's at BB exhibited the same qualities!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #54650 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drh3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 3,767
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Agreed...hope so...but what's puzzling is he felt the 280's at BB exhibited the same qualities!
Yeah, I'm thinking he must be used to the sound profile of the Bose. My Rp-280f put out plenty of bass, and sound great otherwise, and I don't even use Audyssey above 500 Hz. There is no doubt that my 4 SVS sb12-nsd sound better than the RP-280f do in the bass, but that's to be expected.
gene4ht likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
drh3b is offline  
post #54651 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking he must be used to the sound profile of the Bose. My Rp-280f put out plenty of bass, and sound great otherwise, and I don't even use Audyssey above 500 Hz. There is no doubt that my 4 SVS sb12-nsd sound better than the RP-280f do in the bass, but that's to be expected.

Thanks, all! Did the Audyssey setup today and it certainly made a night and day difference. That said, it's still pretty weak on mids and the bass is pretty weak on the top end. For instance, listening to Queen, I'm getting very little bass line in many songs, as the bass lines are a little higher pitched. Other music, like current pop, however has nice strong bass. I've ordered an SVS SB-2000 to either replace or complement the Emotiva S8 in hopes that this will balance out the low end. Any more recommendations for some color in the mids? I'm running a 2.1 setup (soon to be 2.2) but I could place two smaller "surrounds" further out along the same wall. The RP-280f are about 6 feet apart now, due to other furniture, but I have room for something smaller as well. There isn't much space to run wires to the sides of my listening area. Again, I do appreciate all the help! Thanks!
Firstorlast is offline  
post #54652 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ceptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,142
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
Thanks, all! Did the Audyssey setup today and it certainly made a night and day difference. That said, it's still pretty weak on mids and the bass is pretty weak on the top end. For instance, listening to Queen, I'm getting very little bass line in many songs, as the bass lines are a little higher pitched. Other music, like current pop, however has nice strong bass. I've ordered an SVS SB-2000 to either replace or complement the Emotiva S8 in hopes that this will balance out the low end. Any more recommendations for some color in the mids? I'm running a 2.1 setup (soon to be 2.2) but I could place two smaller "surrounds" further out along the same wall. The RP-280f are about 6 feet apart now, due to other furniture, but I have room for something smaller as well. There isn't much space to run wires to the sides of my listening area. Again, I do appreciate all the help! Thanks!
I'm glad they improved, another sub will help. Have you tried to move them around any? 6' apart is pretty close. How far from the wall? You might play with placement, toe in.
Louis Bartay likes this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
ceptorman is offline  
post #54653 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,243
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Isn't this hobby great! Every step we take gets us a little closer but never quite reaches nirvana! Atmos awaits you!
Is this pushing or what? 😂😂😂
gene4ht and Louis Bartay like this.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
retro124 is offline  
post #54654 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
It would be helpful if you could provide a bit more info....i.e. description and size of you room, your system's usage...movies vs music, and budget.
1. 12x18 room
2. Exclusively for movies
3. $300-$700 for sub maybe $300-$400 for sides

or if i use my bookshelfs as sides and have no surrounds then i will pour entire budget into 2 subs
Tom Bergeron is offline  
post #54655 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
Thanks, all! Did the Audyssey setup today and it certainly made a night and day difference. That said, it's still pretty weak on mids and the bass is pretty weak on the top end. For instance, listening to Queen, I'm getting very little bass line in many songs, as the bass lines are a little higher pitched. Other music, like current pop, however has nice strong bass...
I'm sorry but that "night and day difference," still has me baffled. I also think if there is that big of a discrepancy on material it also could be the source you are getting it from....If on your AVR there is a setting called "Dynamic Volume," set that to OFF....That said, I am a big Queen fan and if you play "Another one bites the dust," and your speakers sound anemic then something is definitely wrong...Just curious, when you ran Audyssey what did it set the gains/trim levels of your speakers?
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #54656 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bergeron View Post
1. 12x18 room
2. Exclusively for movies
3. $300-$700 for sub maybe $300-$400 for sides

or if i use my bookshelfs as sides and have no surrounds then i will pour entire budget into 2 subs
Fwiw, sides are surrounds and if you sit in between/parallel to those I would consider another bookshelf to add as rears....If you have several rows of seats or various seated positions that aren't in line you may want to get a pair of Klipsch WDST speakers as surrounds and put the bookshelves in the rear. If you don't have much room in the back then I would keep 5.1 and get a better subwoofer and in that price range others may have a good recommendation.
Tom Bergeron likes this.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #54657 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post
I'm glad they improved, another sub will help. Have you tried to move them around any? 6' apart is pretty close. How far from the wall? You might play with placement, toe in.
Unfortunately, it's a kids playroom and I don't have flexibility to move them much. They are toed in slightly, yes, and I sit about 9' away normally, though room is probably 30' long and 11' wide in total. I do, however, have room to add small bookshelf speakers along the same wall. The speakers are the sides of a fireplace, and there will nice be a nice 65" TV over the fireplace. No room for a center.
ceptorman likes this.
Firstorlast is offline  
post #54658 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
Thanks, all! Did the Audyssey setup today and it certainly made a night and day difference. That said, it's still pretty weak on mids and the bass is pretty weak on the top end. For instance, listening to Queen, I'm getting very little bass line in many songs, as the bass lines are a little higher pitched. Other music, like current pop, however has nice strong bass. I've ordered an SVS SB-2000 to either replace or complement the Emotiva S8 in hopes that this will balance out the low end. Any more recommendations for some color in the mids? I'm running a 2.1 setup (soon to be 2.2) but I could place two smaller "surrounds" further out along the same wall. The RP-280f are about 6 feet apart now, due to other furniture, but I have room for something smaller as well. There isn't much space to run wires to the sides of my listening area. Again, I do appreciate all the help! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post
I'm glad they improved, another sub will help. Have you tried to move them around any? 6' apart is pretty close. How far from the wall? You might play with placement, toe in.
ceptorman is absolutely correct! Key to best bass performance is first proper placement and then proper trim/tuning/setup...especially if attempting to integrate two subs and more so when integrating two different subs. First, no disrespect intended but IMO it's dubious that an 8" sub would add performance value to your RP-280F's which already has two 8" drivers. I'm confident you'll will find the 12" SB-2000 to be a far more capable sub in terms of output, extension, and sound quality. Lastly it's usually not predictable to determine how well two dissimilar subs will integrate until you actually try it. In this regard, the best place for subwoofer setup advice is in the sub threads and particularly in the SVS owners thread. And for a great start, I would recommend reading an excellent guide posted by @mthomas47 who is knowledgeable contributor. Good luck with your pursuit!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post47140321
mthomas47 and ceptorman like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #54659 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bergeron View Post
1. 12x18 room
2. Exclusively for movies
3. $300-$700 for sub maybe $300-$400 for sides

or if i use my bookshelfs as sides and have no surrounds then i will pour entire budget into 2 subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Fwiw, sides are surrounds and if you sit in between/parallel to those I would consider another bookshelf to add as rears....If you have several rows of seats or various seated positions that aren't in line you may want to get a pair of Klipsch WDST speakers as surrounds and put the bookshelves in the rear. If you don't have much room in the back then I would keep 5.1 and get a better subwoofer and in that price range others may have a good recommendation.
Zen Traveler's advice is sound...no pun intended! Should you elect the Klipsch WDST "surrounds," the RS-42 II or RS-52 II, which match your generation speakers, are still available. Otherwise, the equivalent newer generation "surrounds" are the RP-240s and RP-250s. WRT to subwoofers, there are many capable subs within your budget from HSU, Klipsch, Rythmik, PSA, and SVS.. As I'm biased toward SVS, my recommendations for your room size, movie application, and budget would be the PB-2000 or PC-2000 depending on your preference for footprint and form factor. The matching surrounds are within your budget and the subs are only slightly higher. For reproducing the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) in today's blockbuster movies, it's imperative to buy the best performing sub your budget allows...you won't regret it!
Louis Bartay and Tom Bergeron like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 01-14-2018 at 05:40 PM.
gene4ht is online now  
post #54660 of 58407 Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
ceptorman is absolutely correct! Key to best bass performance is first proper placement and then proper trim/tuning/setup...especially if attempting to integrate two subs and more so when integrating two different subs. First, no disrespect intended but IMO it's dubious that an 8" sub would add performance value to your RP-280F's which already has two 8" drivers. I'm confident you'll will find the 12" SB-2000 to be a far more capable sub in terms of output, extension, and sound quality. Lastly it's usually not predictable to determine how well two dissimilar subs will integrate until you actually try it. In this regard, the best place for subwoofer setup advice is in the sub threads and particularly in the SVS owners thread. And for a great start, I would recommend reading an excellent guide posted by @mthomas47 who is knowledgeable contributor. Good luck with your pursuit!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post47140321
I don't know what to say. As a note, I just used AirPlay on the Denon, which for some reason didn't use the sub and there was basically no bass. Now, that could be because it's using an EQ expecting a sub, but I can definitely say there is no bass from these.
Firstorlast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off