Klipsch owner thread - Page 1850 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23557Likes

post #55471 of 58469 Old 04-12-2018, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
What size wire is the builder running thru the walls? We used #12 for speaker wire and RG6U coax with RCA ends for the sub.
He is putting 16 gauge - maximum length would be 20ft.

dibs
I would have him go bigger than that. Your stuck with what he runs.

Honestly from everything you said about him, I'd tell him leave the wall and ceiling in that room as framing. Then you can either DIY or get someone else to do it.

This guy apparently has no clue what he is doing and isn't very flexible. I wouldn't bother with him at all.

What's next? White Walls only because nothing else sells? Drop that guy like a bad habit lol.

However the more and more you tell s about him, he is trying to wire a sound bar special. Not a true Systems room. He has likely never even seen a real home theater system.
Louis Bartay and ceptorman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55472 of 58469 Old 04-13-2018, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
He is putting 16 gauge - maximum length would be 20ft.

dibs
Tell him you want #12 even if you go purchase it.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II, NAD C272/C162,PL-518X ATOC9ML/III
Klipsch KLF-20,ReVox A77 MK IV D, Nakamichi BX-300
Klipsch Synergy Sub 12" X 3, SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1, CDC 697, PS4
post #55473 of 58469 Old 04-13-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
After a lot of persuasion, the builder agreed to make it custom. Their rationale is that if someone makes it custom and then backs-off of buying the house, they will be left with something nobody wants.

In any case, they will still charge be for 7 holes in the ceiling even if I don't use them. I am planning to use atleast 4 - 2 slightly forward of seating position for Atmos and two behind of the wall for surrounds.

The fronts and center speaker will be on a wooden frame next to the tv (custom frame).

Should I ask him for the ceiling wire anyways for the other 3 spots that I am going to anyways pay for? I was going for a 5.1.2 configuration but I can theoretically plan for 7.1.2 OR 5.1.4 configuration in the future. Which one would you recommend? And where should i put the remaining two slots (the seventh one will be wasted for sure) - for 7.1.2 OR 5.1.4?

Dibs
Wow, still charging for holes you don't need or won't use. So if the drywall is not up yet they shouldn't have to make holes. Have you asked if you could run the wire? I know on of the guys on the forum in my area built a new house and did all the LV wiring himself so it was done to what he wanted.

Are you planing to go with an TV, AT screen or regular screen? You could have him run the wire to location in the front and give you measurements so you can access them or just install a box with a blank plate and the extra wire inside of it. Like others have said get tough with him this is your house and you are paying for it. Wire is not that expensive especially if you supply it for him. I was checking on our house like every other day when they were building it and caught some mistakes that they did fixed, but cost them some money, like painting the inside of the house the wrong color.

If it was me and the room is big enough I would at least wire for 7.1.4. How many subs are you going to be running and are they passive or active? I would run wire to them and maybe a few extra if you ever think you want more.

I don't remember, is the theater on you main level or in the basement? If it is the basement I agree, have them leave the drywall off and you can run the wire. If one the main level or above, give him a detailed plan of what you want and make sure to check their work before drywall goes up.

Addition: You may want to think about starting a build thread.
Louis Bartay likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html

Last edited by Ladeback; 04-13-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #55474 of 58469 Old 04-13-2018, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
And that's the key...a resource on staff. This is normally the exception rather than the rule. It's likely that high end homebuilders would retain specialized resources first and hopefully in time with greater demand, all builders will have such resources. This is no different than automotive options that are first seen/included in high end cars and then eventually seen in mid range cars as these options become more commonplace. The demand for immersive surround sound systems from the general public just isn't commonplace...yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Like I said above, our builder had an A/V guy that new about home theater and other A/V things to put in the home they were building. Our A/V guy also wired and set up our alarm system and ran speaker wires to our outside wall to our patio for speakers a future time. When I tried to talk to our Builders representative about type of coax a d Cat wife, he had now clue and to talk to their A/V guy. He also ran coax for future subs for my living room. I haven't used them yet. I guess builders care about LV and A/V and others don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post
The builder might regret that when it's time to get a good reference from the homeowner. Word of mouth is a pretty powerful type of advertising.
Quote:
I'm in agreement and commend you and your company for going above and beyond...the Nordstrom of your industry! However, its been my experience that most industries don't venture much beyond what they normally do...it incurs additional costs and disrupts time lines. In this case, ceiling background speakers for music...yes...accurate surround and 3D speaker placement for home theaters...no. This level of understanding of audio, acoustics, and codecs requires far more expertise and planning...beyond a builder's ROI. Lastly, unlike the members and visitors of these forums, most builder's customers have no knowledge or desire to incorporate much beyond a "big screen" TV and maybe a soundbar. It's unfortunate but it's the reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I can't believe this either. When we built our house almost 11 years ago my build sub for AV had no problem pulling wire where ever I wanted it run. I have towers and ceiling speakers for surrounds and center wired in my living room that run to my basement where I have equipment. I also had him run speaker wire in the walls where the TV is in case I ever went with in-wall speakers. I agree, you are the customer and should get what you want. You are paying the bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losifanatic View Post
Wow I can't believe that a builder won't work with you on getting you the setup you want. I am the senior electrician for an electrical and technology company and its always about giving the customer what they want. Just surprises me that contractors aren't willing to work or listen to their customers.
After a lot of persuasion, the builder agreed to make it custom. Their rationale is that if someone makes it custom and then backs-off of buying the house, they will be left with something nobody wants.

In any case, they will still charge be for 7 holes in the ceiling even if I don't use them. I am planning to use atleast 4 - 2 slightly forward of seating position for Atmos and two behind of the wall for surrounds.

The fronts and center speaker will be on a wooden frame next to the tv (custom frame).

Should I ask him for the ceiling wire anyways for the other 3 spots that I am going to anyways pay for? I was going for a 5.1.2 configuration but I can theoretically plan for 7.1.2 OR 5.1.4 configuration in the future. Which one would you recommend? And where should i put the remaining two slots (the seventh one will be wasted for sure) - for 7.1.2 OR 5.1.4?

Dibs
Definitely 5.1.4. It does a much better job with atmos and dtsx. Much more immersive.
post #55475 of 58469 Old 04-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hi guys!

I am currently using full kef setup (detail on my signature) but ran into a very good price $200 used Klipsch SW-112 to go with my Kef 12b sub. For $200 I think it is pretty good deal to fill up my space (around 500sf open area). How would you Klipsch vet rate the SW-112?

Thank You !!

KEF Q750, Q650c, Kube 12B, Denon AVR-X3400H, Sony XBR75x900e, PS4 Pro
post #55476 of 58469 Old 04-13-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Dibs
This part is going to be complex.

Here is the thing, for 5.1.2 you need a Top Middle, (about the position of your knees).

For .4, you have to have Top Front and Top Back, which is 3-5ft in front of MLP and 3-5 behind.

Anotherwords the same speaker locations won't really work for both. So your either going to have to have all 6 cut out now, and use Caps or something or make a compromise or go 4 now.

As far as 7.1.2, VS 5.1.4, I would wire for 7.1.4 There is no currently made 9 channel recievers. There is 11 channel recievers that have 9 channels amplified (so they call then 9 channels, but they are all 11 processed)

Anotherwords, you will be a 50 dollar 2 channel amp away from 7.1.4 with any reciever you buy right now that does 7.1.2/5.1.4 so there is no reason really to go with either if you have the space for 7.1.4.
post #55477 of 58469 Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesscc View Post
Hi guys!

I am currently using full kef setup (detail on my signature) but ran into a very good price $200 used Klipsch SW-112 to go with my Kef 12b sub. For $200 I think it is pretty good deal to fill up my space (around 500sf open area). How would you Klipsch vet rate the SW-112?

Thank You !!
I picked up one five years ago $150 used and it was great for me until yesterday. I think I blew it playing John Mayer of all things. I haven't had time to fully check it out. That being said I'm pretty sure I was pushing it to the max for about 45mins straight. For everyone sleeping on the John Mayer's bluray concert I highly recommend it. It's the best live recording I own on bluray.
post #55478 of 58469 Old 04-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Question.

Anyone using Klipsch subs that have used like SVS's HSU's ECT?

I'm trying to decide on sub upgrades, right now I got some crap Polk's.

Everyone on AVS is always recommending monster subs and digging real deep to shake the walls.

Well I have close very sensitive to bass neibhors. So shaking the walls down, I neither like that nor want that at all.

I am also one of the weird people I guess that uses the Dynamic leveling in movies. I don't want explosions 10x louder than voices, nor would my wife allow that lol.

So in that case would a R112Sw be okay? What is really gained going all the way to 20hz? Just shaking the house down?

A little tactile is cool, but I plan to get buttkickers for that, I do not live in a place where I can shake the walls down.
post #55479 of 58469 Old 04-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesscc View Post
Hi guys!

Thank You !!
I picked up one five years ago $150 used and it was great for me until yesterday. I think I blew it playing John Mayer of all things. I haven't had time to fully check it out. That being said I'm pretty sure I was pushing it to the max for about 45mins straight. For everyone sleeping on the John Mayer's bluray concert I highly recommend it. It's the best live recording I own on bluray.
It’s a good one no doubt but I’d give the nod to Dave Mathews w/ Tim Reynolds live at Radio City.
cbatc likes this.
post #55480 of 58469 Old 04-14-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
Question.

Everyone on AVS is always recommending monster subs and digging real deep to shake the walls.

Well I have close very sensitive to bass neibhors. So shaking the walls down, I neither like that nor want that at all.

I am also one of the weird people I guess that uses the Dynamic leveling in movies. I don't want explosions 10x louder than voices, nor would my wife allow that lol.

So in that case would a R112Sw be okay? What is really gained going all the way to 20hz? Just shaking the house down?

A little tactile is cool, but I plan to get buttkickers for that, I do not live in a place where I can shake the walls down.
Even a monster sub can be turned down if you think there is too much bass. I think that Klipsch 12" sub would work fine for your application. You might go for the 15" instead though, just in case you want to turn up the bass a little!
Louis Bartay likes this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #55481 of 58469 Old 04-14-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post
Question.

Even a monster sub can be turned down if you think there is too much bass. I think that Klipsch 12" sub would work fine for your application. You might go for the 15" instead though, just in case you want to turn up the bass a little!
Oh I know that a monster sub can be turned down. However don't really want to pay for more power I am not going to use lol.

Also am worried about frequency roll off. If I get a sub like a PB 2000 that goes down to 16hz, is 16hz going to carry further than 24hz? That is my concern.

I know that sub sounds carry through the walls ECT, and am assuming the lower you go. The worse that gets lol.
ceptorman likes this.
post #55482 of 58469 Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yesterday I got my new front speakers and put them to the test with my new 4k copy of Hacksaw Ridge. After that, we watched The Florida Project, then today I watched Leon the Professional, and then The Magnificent Seven.

Performance wise, I'm beyond happy. They were better than I hoped for, and I haven't even broken them in yet. Dialogue clarity is like nothing I've heard before with any of my old speakers, and the voices sound like they do in real movie theaters. Gotta be the horn configuration I guess? It's my first time using speakers with horn tweeters. Love it. I finally feel like my setup is "good" and I don't feel like anything is lacking, though I'm sure I'll be adding at least a second subwoofer in the coming year.

Also I wasn't sure how I'd like the gold-ish color of the cones, but I gotta say, they're absolutely beautiful in person. Really impressed with these things all around!

Speakers in signature!

Sony 75" X900E | Yamaha RX-V383 | Samsung UBD-M8500
Klipsch RP-150M - RP-250C F/C/R | Fluance SX6 Rear | SVS PC-2000
post #55483 of 58469 Old 04-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hello guys. I just heard the rp160M and really like how they sound. I checked again my place and it seems I can fit a floorstander in there (I will have to make a stand anyway if I get the bookshelf). I just wanna ask your opinion about this:

AVR is Denon X1300W (80w RMS); TV is 60"; Living room is about 20'x30'x9.5' (open plan to kitchen)

Questions:
1. RP 260F or RP250F - difference is around $100 ($800 vs $900 here)
2. RP 450C or 250C - difference is also $100. Im already set with the 250C but I also got curious with the 450C as it is wider and looks good really with also the wider TV. Any feedback on the clarity of the dialogue? Also, would 80w of the Denon be a problem driving the bigger center?

(Planning to do full atmos but for now, I will just upgrade first the LCR)

Many thanks

Samsung KS8000 : Denon x1300w : Klipsch RP 160M:250C:CDT3650: Wharfedale DFS : Xbox One X : Xbox Kinect : Numark TT
post #55484 of 58469 Old 04-15-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by addieboy View Post
Hello guys. I just heard the rp160M and really like how they sound. I checked again my place and it seems I can fit a floorstander in there (I will have to make a stand anyway if I get the bookshelf). I just wanna ask your opinion about this:

AVR is Denon X1300W (80w RMS); TV is 60"; Living room is about 20'x30'x9.5' (open plan to kitchen)

Questions:
2. RP 450C or 250C - difference is also $100. Im already set with the 250C but I also got curious with the 450C as it is wider and looks good really with also the wider TV. Any feedback on the clarity of the dialogue? Also, would 80w of the Denon be a problem driving the bigger center?

Many thanks
I would get the biggest tower you can fit. I found the rp280f to be more capable than the RP260f(not better sounding a little in the bass maybe, just able to play more loudly*) and I would think the RP260f would have a similar advantage over the RP250f. Especially if you aren't running a subwoofer.
I think the rp250c is perfectly good. For only $100 more, I would get the 450c, there will be no "what if". Clarity should be excellent with either.
Your Denon should be able to drive any RP series speaker respectably.

*Especially in the midbass and lower. However, I doubt your Denon has enough power to upset any of the 3 RP towers, I found the limits of the RP260f with a 300 wpc amp.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!

Last edited by drh3b; 04-15-2018 at 05:50 PM.
post #55485 of 58469 Old 04-15-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonzLL View Post
Yesterday I got my new front speakers and put them to the test with my new 4k copy of Hacksaw Ridge. After that, we watched The Florida Project, then today I watched Leon the Professional, and then The Magnificent Seven.

Performance wise, I'm beyond happy. They were better than I hoped for, and I haven't even broken them in yet. Dialogue clarity is like nothing I've heard before with any of my old speakers, and the voices sound like they do in real movie theaters. Gotta be the horn configuration I guess? It's my first time using speakers with horn tweeters. Love it. I finally feel like my setup is "good" and I don't feel like anything is lacking, though I'm sure I'll be adding at least a second subwoofer in the coming year.

Also I wasn't sure how I'd like the gold-ish color of the cones, but I gotta say, they're absolutely beautiful in person. Really impressed with these things all around!

Speakers in signature!
Congrats on the new home theater system. Isn't it wonderful when we finally get it all set up and sounding good? You'll have to watch all your favorite movies over again, to hear what you've been missing!
Louis Bartay and PonzLL like this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #55486 of 58469 Old 04-15-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Questions:

Many thanks
There's a pretty good difference between the RP260 vs the RP250, just a fuller sound, and more bass. If you can swing the RP280, a nice difference there also. That 450c is a very good center. Let us know which way you go. We are experts at helping people spend their money

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I would get the biggest tower you can fit. I found the rp280f to be more capable than the RP260f(not better sounding a little in the bass maybe, just able to play more loudly*) and I would think the RP260f would have a similar advantage over the RP250f. Especially if you aren't running a subwoofer.
I think the rp250c is perfectly good. For only $100 more, I would get the 450c, there will be no "what if". Clarity should be excellent with either.
Your Denon should be able to drive any RP series speaker respectably.

Especially in the midbass and lower. However, I doubt your Denon has enough power to upset any of the 3 RP towers, I found the limits of the RP260f with a 300 wpc amp.
I agree, bigger is usually better, especially in a large room.
Louis Bartay and drh3b like this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #55487 of 58469 Old 04-15-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Let us know which way you go. We are experts at helping people spend their money
Thank you. This is comforting.

The 280FA would have been perfect but sadly, not available here in the Philippines.

Another query pls, what's a good in/on-ceiling speaker for atmos?
post #55488 of 58469 Old 04-16-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you. This is comforting.

The 280FA would have been perfect but sadly, not available here in the Philippines.

please disregard my previous post but i need your inputs on the atmos/surround part. im already set with the 260F and 450C/250C (450C probably but need to measure again tonight) as i will be traveling to the store on wednesday. i still have a 10" sub but most likely will upgrade to SVS PB1000 (or x2) within the year. for surround, i still have the DFS (dipole) but will change to direct firing as per atmos. your opinions will be welcome on what to do for the atmos part. i studied the ceiling vs. upfiring posts but still can't decide.

1. my ceiling is concrete so it's flat and reflective. height is around 9.5ft, area is 20' x 30'. MLP is at the middle, LCR is at the corner (best i can do at the moment). upfiring is just plug and play. ceiling speakers, i will have to improvize on how to hide the wires (lots of carpentry work to do).

2. option is to get the RP 140SA as initial atmos and if this wont work, then relegate it to surround duty. would i miss something if using this vs. the 150M? (the 150M is cheaper by around $70 though).

3. another option is to use the R-14S as I can buy two for the price of one RP 140SA. i read that surround and atmos dont need to be top notch. would there be issues with regards to the sound or timbre? :-)

Samsung KS8000 : Denon x1300w : Klipsch RP 160M:250C:CDT3650: Wharfedale DFS : Xbox One X : Xbox Kinect : Numark TT
post #55489 of 58469 Old 04-17-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
RP-450c

Any owners of the RP-450 Center? If you had to do it again would you still go with this center or would you go with something different? Maybe something not Klipsch? I'm at the end of my 60 day trial and I want to make sure I make the right choice.
post #55490 of 58469 Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. This is comforting. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

please disregard my previous post but i need your inputs on the atmos/surround part. im already set with the 260F and 450C/250C (450C probably but need to measure again tonight) as i will be traveling to the store on wednesday. i still have a 10" sub but most likely will upgrade to SVS PB1000 (or x2) within the year. for surround, i still have the DFS (dipole) but will change to direct firing as per atmos. your opinions will be welcome on what to do for the atmos part. i studied the ceiling vs. upfiring posts but still can't decide.

1. my ceiling is concrete so it's flat and reflective. height is around 9.5ft, area is 20' x 30'. MLP is at the middle, LCR is at the corner (best i can do at the moment). upfiring is just plug and play. ceiling speakers, i will have to improvize on how to hide the wires (lots of carpentry work to do).

2. option is to get the RP 140SA as initial atmos and if this wont work, then relegate it to surround duty. would i miss something if using this vs. the 150M? (the 150M is cheaper by around $70 though).

3. another option is to use the R-14S as I can buy two for the price of one RP 140SA. i read that surround and atmos dont need to be top notch. would there be issues with regards to the sound or timbre? :-)
You really can't use a RP140sa as a Surround with Atmos.

I know you can use them as surrounds, I seen the designer talk about it. However the cabinets are angled, so that would mean your would need to mount the surrounds high up angled down. That is fine for normal 5.1/7.1, even ideal? However for Atmos you need the surrounds at ear level so you have to have separatation.

Unless you are planning to use that angle to toe them in, and place them horizontally, but then lobing issues, a custom mount would be needed, IDK doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

As far as R14S, will there be sound issues, IDK, is it going to Timbre macth, ya no not even close. Refrence and Refrence Premier have completely different tweeters, I got to AB some Refrence to RPs the other day, the difference is extreme imo.

What do you mean the LCR are in the corner? Can you give us pics? I think most to help you, are going to need more, pics, diagram.

When you say the corner, I picture a TV stand in the corner, with a 50 inch TV, and speakers against it on either side with the center in the middle. So like 4 ft between the speakers, and I don't think that's going to work lol.

Last edited by cyberlocc; 04-17-2018 at 12:43 PM.
post #55491 of 58469 Old 04-17-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
Any owners of the RP-450 Center? If you had to do it again would you still go with this center or would you go with something different? Maybe something not Klipsch? I'm at the end of my 60 day trial and I want to make sure I make the right choice.
Only you can answer that if you want to keep the RP450c. How did it sound in your room? Are you happy with it? Did you get the most out of it setup wise? Examples are to play with different crossover settings, making sure its not inside a cabinet, etc? I'm very happy with my RP450s and it keeps up with my RP280s very well. Personally I would not change my center unless I went with different brands or models in the lineup for my main speakers.
gene4ht and NickTucker like this.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #55492 of 58469 Old 04-17-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It really depends on if it matches your front tower speakers. If it does, and it sounds good, another brand that doesn't match might not sound as good. It is a terrific center speaker.
gene4ht and Louis Bartay like this.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #55493 of 58469 Old 04-17-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 2689
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Only you can answer that if you want to keep the RP450c. How did it sound in your room? Are you happy with it? Did you get the most out of it setup wise? Examples are to play with different crossover settings, making sure its not inside a cabinet, etc? I'm very happy with my RP450s and it keeps up with my RP280s very well. Personally I would not change my center unless I went with different brands or models in the lineup for my main speakers.
I have to agree with ereed...you appear to be somewhat uncertain...what is it that you don't like about its performance? Many people upgrade to the RP-450C from other less capable centers. A center channel's primary function is movie dialogue. Is dialogue unintelligible? Not loud enough? Dialogue being drowned out by L and R speakers? In any case, proper room correction setup, trim level and adjustments, speaker positioning, and your room's acoustics can all influence the sound quality of the center channel and weaknesses can be corrected. If you can describe what you're hearing or not hearing, members here will be more able to provide specific advice.
Louis Bartay likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #55494 of 58469 Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
There's a pretty good difference between the RP260 vs the RP250, just a fuller sound, and more bass. If you can swing the RP280, a nice difference there also. That 450c is a very good center. Let us know which way you go. We are experts at helping people spend their money

I agree, bigger is usually better, especially in a large room.
Don't think of it as to spending money, approach it as an investment. My RF'7's and matching surrounds are now 14 years old and still rockin in the free world, when I divide what I paid for them by 14, and then next year by 15, you get the idea.
I have no reason to upgrade. MAKE the investment!
ceptorman likes this.

Music, more music.
post #55495 of 58469 Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hello

I am working on a new home theater system and have decided to go with a Klipsch HT setup. The room is 13 wide by 19 long. My budget is approx. $2500, can anyone recommend a 5.1 setup? I am looking at towers and at least one sub.
post #55496 of 58469 Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyship View Post
Hello

I am working on a new home theater system and have decided to go with a Klipsch HT setup. The room is 13 wide by 19 long. My budget is approx. $2500, can anyone recommend a 5.1 setup? I am looking at towers and at least one sub.
Go to the Klipsch website, click on Speakers, Home Audio, and then Home Theater Systems.
The one in for that budget is the RP250.

Music, more music.
post #55497 of 58469 Old 04-18-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyship View Post
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
Go to the Klipsch website, click on Speakers, Home Audio, and then Home Theater Systems.
The one in for that budget is the RP250.
@altpensacola suggestion is a good one and a good start and will get you in the ballpark. The pricing indicated is MSRP and shopping at other authorized online retailers should at least net you the RP260 series for the same budget. The general rule of thumb is always buy as big or as much as you can within your budget. Your room size cries out for minimally 6 1/2" drivers. Another consideration is possibly substituting an ID brand subwoofer for improved performance...i.e. HSU, PSA, Rythmik, SVS, etc. At any rate, once you've decided on a system, give Sound Distributors and/or Acoustic Sound Design (both authorized online dealers) a call to get an idea of what actual street package pricing is. Good luck with your decisions!
Louis Bartay and retro124 like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 04-18-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
post #55498 of 58469 Old 04-18-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
@altpensacola suggestion is a good one and a good start and will get you in the ballpark. The pricing indicated is MSRP and shopping at other authorized online retailers should at least net you the RP260 series for the same budget. The general rule of thumb is always buy as big or as much as you can within your budget. Your room size cries out for minimally 6 1/2" drivers. Another consideration is possibly substituting an ID brand subwoofer for improved performance...i.e. HSU, PSA, Rythmik, SVS, etc. At any rate, once you've decided on a system, give Sound Distributors and/or Acoustic Sound Design (both authorized online dealers) a call to get an idea of what actual street package pricing is. Good luck with your decisions!
Well done 👏, I Agree 100%.
gene4ht and Louis Bartay like this.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Apple 4K TV, Mac mini, Sony UBP-X800, PS3
post #55499 of 58469 Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
I have to agree with ereed...you appear to be somewhat uncertain...what is it that you don't like about its performance? Many people upgrade to the RP-450C from other less capable centers. A center channel's primary function is movie dialogue. Is dialogue unintelligible? Not loud enough? Dialogue being drowned out by L and R speakers? In any case, proper room correction setup, trim level and adjustments, speaker positioning, and your room's acoustics can all influence the sound quality of the center channel and weaknesses can be corrected. If you can describe what you're hearing or not hearing, members here will be more able to provide specific advice.

The problem is that I upgraded to the 450 from a 14 yr old little puny center that today cost $30. So clearly to me it sounds amazing.compared to that. But I wonder if there's anything better for the same price or if going something half the price would be a noticeable downgrade.

What would you say is the signature style of the 450... bright, flat, neutral etc etc?
post #55500 of 58469 Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The problem is that I upgraded to the 450 from a 14 yr old little puny center that today cost $30. So clearly to me it sounds amazing.compared to that. But I wonder if there's anything better for the same price or if going something half the price would be a noticeable downgrade.

What would you say is the signature style of the 450... bright, flat, neutral etc etc?
The objective is to timbre match your front stage so pans are natural and consistent. The question is what are your L and R mains? In this thread, it’s assumed you have Klipsch mains. It’s usually best to choose a center of the same brand to achieve this goal.
ceptorman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , klipsch icon wf 35 floorstanding speakers , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page