New DCM....simply amazing! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been chipping away at a new A/V setup....stockpiling components until I move into a new home in about 6 months. I purchased a full set (5.1) of Athena's: F2/C2/B2 for about 800, which I felt was giving me great 'bang for my buck'. I do think that the Athena's are great speakers for their price, yet I soon learned that there are others....

I went to the "Home Entertainment Show" at the Sheraton hotel in Los Angeles this past weekend and was blown away by DCM's new Timeframe speakers: TFE200. This show was showcasing some very high end products (Mac included), and the DCM's surprisingly were right at home. The sound: crisp, clean and natural. I was (hooked and) shocked to learn that these floor stander's are only 1000 a pair. I was almost certain they'd be up in the 3000 to 4000 range.

Not believing what I had just heard, I stopped at a local dealer on the way home and listened to some 4000 B&w's, along with a range of Boston Acoustic's....and nothing came close (to MY ears).

Speakers are a VERY personal choice, I don't knock any company's products...they all work in their own way for a variety of listeners. All I'm saying is... if you're heading out to drop 1000 on a pair of speakers...you owe it to yourself to check out these DCM's...they are truly outstanding speakers.

Anyone wanna buy some Athena's??? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I can remember reading about the original ones years ago. They were well like also. That's the great thing about these shows. You get to hear stuff that you otherwise would not be able to hear.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Pyezahn,

I really like the look of the TFE200. I'm as impressed as can be without having heard them. Thanks for posting about these. Would you consider the dispersion pattern more tight (probably) or wide? How's the imaging? And, what are you using to drive yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 AM

Liked: 18
It has been years since I last heard anything about DCM. Glad to know they are still in business. Any idea where to audition/purchase their products?
post #5 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 AM

About 15 years ago I purchased a pair of the TimeFrame TF400's and they still sound terrific. They've been in their boxes for the last couple of years after a move, but I'm ready to pull them out and listen to them again.

I was searching for info on them and found a pair of the old TF400's on ebay for the buy it now price of $115.00. If they're in good shape that's a steal for the sound they produce.

I'm sure the new ones are awesome.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

1tIME -

Dispersion is TIGHT and imaging - excellent! As I had mentioned, I'm slowly piecing together and stockpiling a system. I just purchsased the DCM main's - i still need to peddle the Athena's - and I'm now way over budget. Yet I'm still a very VERY happy camper. Fortunately, time is on my side, so I'm not worried. I'm planning on one of 3 AVR's: Rotel 1057, Pioneer 74TX, Marantz 7500. This is where I'll need to save some money....so if you have any recommendations on any other reasonably priced - nice sounding AVR's - please share. The B-stock Marantz at $629 is looking really good right now.

Funny thing is, i really didn't want to drop $1K on just the main's, nor did I want to go through the grueling process of (physically) comparing ALL the nice speakers in this price range - so I never teased myself by looking - I just took the Athena's and called it a day. Fate must've been on my side, 'cause I just listened to the DCM's by chance and was EXTREMELY pleased with what I heard. Hence, the decision was as quick and easy as choosing the Athena's.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 AM

I have asked DCM if they have a dealer in my area. I would like to see if I am equally impressed with them. (It will take some very special speakers to replace my awesome Def Techs, though.)
post #8 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Pulliamm - how much were your Def Tech's? I'm certain you will be impressed, but impressed enough to spend a thousand to replace a pair of speakers you already love - I don't know about that??? Nonetheless, the DCM's certainly hold there own.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyezahn
Pulliamm - how much were your Def Tech's? I'm certain you will be impressed, but impressed enough to spend a thousand to replace a pair of speakers you already love - I don't know about that??? Nonetheless, the DCM's certainly hold there own.
I am not actively seeking speakers to replace my Def Techs, but if I were to hear some speakers that I can afford and that knock my socks off, I could buy them for my 2-channel system and reinstate the DTs as surrounds in my HT (where I am currently using entry-level Polks as surrounds.)
The DTs were 800/pr MSRP, but I paid less than that.
(The speakers I have tried in my 2-channel setup, including Athena, have sounded good to me for a while but I always end up using the DTs again.)
post #10 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I agree, the DCM room was a suprise. I like the guys working it to. The entire setup was under $3K including speakers, a tube amp and cd player. That was their gig. The entire system cost less than the speaker cable alone in 95% of the rooms. Really sounded good. I was amazed at how many of the $250K+ systems sounded really bad.

Greg
post #11 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
I agree, the DCM room was a suprise. I like the guys working it to. The entire setup was under $3K including speakers, a tube amp and cd player. That was their gig. The entire system cost less than the speaker cable alone in 95% of the rooms. Really sounded good. I was amazed at how many of the $250K+ systems sounded really bad.
Anyone who would spend anywhere near $3K on speaker cable is 100% stark, raving nuts! (We are talking full-fledged straightjacket and rubber-room nuts, here!) :eek:
post #12 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM
Anyone who would spend anywhere near $3K on speaker cable is 100% stark, raving nuts! (We are talking full-fledged straightjacket and rubber-room nuts, here!) :eek:
Lol. There were problably 100 rooms that had speaker cable like that. So there must be a lot of rich a$$ people that are rubber-room nuts :eek:

Greg
post #13 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

That being the case, if you can afford $800, you should definately have a listen to the DCM's. As you know, speakers sound different to different people - it's all personal choice - no right or wrong. The DCM's are very clean and detailed - NOT harsh, not even slightly bright - they just sound perfectly natural to me....and that's the kinda sound I like. The bass output is rather surprising too. For a measly $800 - the value is astounding.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Lol. There were problably 100 rooms that had speaker cable like that. So there must be a lot of rich a$$ people that are rubber-room nuts :eek:
Even the most outrageously overpriced "ultra high performance" THX certified Monster Cable is under $1.50/foot. :D
post #15 of 24 Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyezahn
That being the case, if you can afford $800, you should definately have a listen to the DCM's. As you know, speakers sound different to different people - it's all personal choice - no right or wrong. The DCM's are very clean and detailed - NOT harsh, not even slightly bright - they just sound perfectly natural to me....and that's the kinda sound I like. The bass output is rather surprising too. For a measly $800 - the value is astounding.
It will depend on whether I can find someplace in my area to hear them. The only dealer suggested by DCM is a custom installer who would have to special-order them. I would feel guilty if I asked them to go to that much trouble and then didn't buy the speakers.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-09-2006, 03:27 PM

I own a pair of TFE200's. They truly are one of the most outstanding speakers I have ever heard. They are extreamly detailed, the highs are extreamly smooth. Not at all harsh. The imaging on them is the best I have heard. They are compleatly transparent. Its very hard to pinpoint where the speakers are in the room. I run all DCM's for center, surrounds are rears. The TFEs match my other dcms very well. I am going to upgrade to the newer tfe center though. I run a denon 3806 to power them.
The speakers are pretty tall. They look very impressive when you first see them in the room. Oh and these things have tight deep bass. I run a diy sub. its 2 10s in one box. Tuned to 18hz. With 700 watts going to each coil of the dual voice coils. The sub its awsome. Anyway I turned off the sub to test the low end on the 200's and it sounded like I had a sub sill in the room. Obviously the 30hz and below stuff was missing but I was realy supprised by how tight and loud the low end was. And I was running the dcm kx212's before that have two 12 inch drivers in each box. The 200's have damn near as much low end as those have and its way tighter sounding. Listening to the Eagles hotel california every single bass note was clear and crisp. I find that a lot of systems I've heard cant produce the lower bass guitar notes but the 200's didnt miss a one. Listening to the opening battle in Gladiator. You can distinguish every one of the voices yelling and screaming. Every arrow is clear. That scene has so many sounds going on at the same time. On every system I've seen that sence its usualy just a bunch of noise.
The 200's are like getting HD for the audio. Every detail can be heard. I swear if a speck of dust flying by could make a sound these things would let you hear it.
I've had a few people over to demo them. Two of them run PSB one runs B&W. All three of them walked away saying things like "I've never heard anything like that before", "Those things are insane" and one commented that the only thing he's ever heard that impressed him as much was a pair of 40 thousand doller macintosh towers. Audio is very subjective I know but I cant see how anyone could hear these and not like them. Everyone whos heard mine love them.

Now if DCM releases some new timewindows. I'll be all over them.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-09-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even the most outrageously overpriced "ultra high performance" THX certified Monster Cable is under $1.50/foot. :D
Actually, Moster makes some extreamly expensive cable as well. Check this out. $3000 for a 12' pair.

Greg
post #18 of 24 Old 06-09-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Quote:
Really? Have you seen these: http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=17

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #19 of 24 Old 06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know someone who spent $6k for cables on a system that costs +$150k. This is a dealer's personal high-end unit. I have no reason to doubt him when he says it makes a difference. He even had some high-tech paper/metal sheet thing that blocked RF from the top of his Macintosh Amps. Those things made a significant difference that even I noticed. $40 of material was worth at least $5k in sound improvement (given the total investment).

I know this is a contentious subject, but it reminds me about professional digital cameras. The Canon 1DS mk ll, a 16 MP camera, is said to "out-resolve" most of the Canon wide angle lenses (i.e., the camera reveals all the shortcomings of the lens). It seems reasonable to me that at some point cables could become a weak link.

Thank god I'll never experience that. If I get that obsessive my wife SHOULD divorce me.

AVS: Where everything you write will be used against you.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[H]RedDog,

Thanks for the very nice write up. So these are very revealing speakers with top rate imaging, great bass and transparent highs. I wonder how well they would work for a 2.0 HT, that is, a phantom center, no sub and with a receiver set on Dolby Virtual Speaker. Your opinion please?
post #21 of 24 Old 06-09-2006, 06:39 PM

They would work wonders for a 2ch. theater. I have also tested movies running just the tfe's. They image so well you could swear that there are rear speakers. Also the voices do sound as if they are coming from the center channel. One of the things I realy like is that when there is somthing moving from left to right or right to left it realy sounds as if somthing is moving across the room. Not just going from the left speaker to the right. Because of how big the speakers sound on their own they realy help smooth out pans from other channels. I can only imagin how enveloping it would be to run the timeframe center and rears. They also have new di-poles that are a different model. I'm thinkin about those for eaither the sides or the rears.

I have a tv that has dolby virtual on it so I'm somewhat aware of what it does. I'm not sure you would even need that. I think the dcms can fill a room with sound without any extra prossesing.

A little bit about the build quality. They are realy heavy. They have all steal bracing inside. The minrange driver at the top is compleatly enclosed separately from the rest of the box. So there is no interference from the two bass drivers. The steal grill is bolted to the speaker box. So you cant just pull the grill off. Great if you have kids. The back has 4 all chrome binding posts ready for Bi-amp if you want to do that.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Can you get them in other veneer finishes (maple, cherry, etc)?
post #23 of 24 Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadster
Can you get them in other veneer finishes (maple, cherry, etc)?
I don't see that info on their website. You may want to contact them and if you don't mind, post back with what you find out. Thanks
post #24 of 24 Old 06-12-2006, 10:41 AM

Anyone else offer any feedback on the new line (TFE)? I'm interested in hearing some opinions on the other speakers in that family, the TFE100, the center(TFE60C) and the bookselfs(TFE60).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page