Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1401 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9624Likes

post #42001 of 46193 Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Bass nulls are pretty hard to cure without getting bass peaks elsewhere in the room. BTW did you stop at Tyler's when he was demoing the new Borresen speakers? I was there.
I was the guy on the motorcycle

Meridian dsp8000se upgrade, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's, Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42002 of 46193 Old 12-30-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Why?
Why am I not doing subs with the salon 2's? I obsess to much already with just 2 boxes and when I tried adding subs with my previous system I could never relax and enjoy the music not to mention it felt like cheating. I demoed a pair of audience 80's back away's and loved the sound, but noticed they lacked the resolution I was used to which is why i'm pestering you guys. If Dynaudio voices their speakers against the same model then it would be safe to assume more money gets more spl and resolution. I made the mistake of telling Tyler I was considering the Kanta 3 from another dealer and he got all ethical on me and won't take my business(totally respect!) which is ok because we have F1 that carries the C60 and I can compare the 3 speakers IN MY ROOM and hopefully find what I'm looking for. Another reason I'm hopeful for these 2 rear ported speakers is when I had the rear ported salon1 in this room bass was never an issue. You know i'll take a bath selling the salon 2 to buy a new pair of speakers for the resale value, but that isn't a concern if they work. I'm being as transparent as I can with the local dealers and would offer compensation for 1 shops time should I choose the other product or even both should neither work out.

Meridian dsp8000se upgrade, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's, Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,
post #42003 of 46193 Old 12-30-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I recently heard the Naim NDX2 (digital streamer) and holy cow is it so much better than my 6-yr old ND5-XS.
And RT...I'm not trying to argue; but that doesn't necessarily disprove my point. 1) I did say digital is improving...of course; just that people don't seem that interested (24/192, DSD, MQA, etc.). And 2) Of course a current streamer...is likely to be "better", than one that is 6 years old. My point was more; I don't think we'll take the same leap...6 years into the future. I think we've "plateaued".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
When I sold off my Reference gear for sure thinking I wanted a clean in wall approach I was forced, if that is the right word, using my LS50s up front. It’s been quite shocking to see what I’ve gotten out of these guys. The imaging is superb. Maybe better than my Reference 1. Their just a fun little speaker. Now I am driving them with six hundred watt Simaudio monos and NAD Masters and Arcam but it’s been a revelation what you can get now. I mean these damn things were on sale for under $1k for the holidays.

They sure aren’t Reference 1s but it’s been a bit of an eye opener towards wallet busting speakers. Now running off an AVR, they may not be the same but they are not shamed by pricey auxiliary gear.
I am on record, about LS-50s. In my experience...and I've owned them, 5 times over they can't be, outclassed; amp-wise. They are...like the perfect transducer; feed it a "$10k signal"...you get a "$10k signal".

They can't overcome physics; so no...they won't go sub-30, like some of your mega-buck floor-standers. And some might find them, too "rolled-off". But I think...they are about the most accurate, inert speaker; I have ever heard (and yes...they cost pennies).

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > Musical Fidelity M2si IA > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42004 of 46193 Old 12-30-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
Why am I not doing subs with the salon 2's? I obsess to much already with just 2 boxes and when I tried adding subs with my previous system I could never relax and enjoy the music not to mention it felt like cheating. I demoed a pair of audience 80's back away's and loved the sound, but noticed they lacked the resolution I was used to which is why i'm pestering you guys. If Dynaudio voices their speakers against the same model then it would be safe to assume more money gets more spl and resolution. I made the mistake of telling Tyler I was considering the Kanta 3 from another dealer and he got all ethical on me and won't take my business(totally respect!) which is ok because we have F1 that carries the C60 and I can compare the 3 speakers IN MY ROOM and hopefully find what I'm looking for. Another reason I'm hopeful for these 2 rear ported speakers is when I had the rear ported salon1 in this room bass was never an issue. You know i'll take a bath selling the salon 2 to buy a new pair of speakers for the resale value, but that isn't a concern if they work. I'm being as transparent as I can with the local dealers and would offer compensation for 1 shops time should I choose the other product or even both should neither work out.
Can you explain “got all ethical” PM me if you would rather keep it off the boards.
post #42005 of 46193 Old 12-30-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Can you explain “got all ethical” PM me if you would rather keep it off the boards.
I'm curious too
RaceTripper likes this.

post #42006 of 46193 Old 12-30-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 445
This is pretty interesting. German publication, LowBeats, has done a comprehensive comparison of the three "SE" speakers, Contour 1.3SE, Special25, and Special40, along with Contour C20 for good measure. The title of the article is, "20 Jahre Dynaudio SE: 4 Kompaktboxen im Online-Klangvergleich" or "20 Years Dynaudio SE: 4 Compact Speakers in Online Sound Comparison."

The 1.3SE and S25 were supplied by Dynaudio, whereas they already had S40 and C20 in-house as part of their suite of benchmark speakers. The goal of the test? To determine what differences 40 years of evolution (and technology) has done to Dynaudio sound.

The article, in German, is here: https://www.lowbeats.de/dynaudio-se-...ine-vergleich/

Their conclusions? (Quick and dirty summary of the German)

-They are surprised how similar the four sound, each providing neutral, room-filling sound with high quality bass for their size.
-There were two distinct outliers in the test: Contour 1.3SE and Contour C20.

-The 1.3SE came in "last" showing its age with the less precise mids. For similar size and price (MSRP in Germany in year of release), the S40 shows specific gains in this regard.
-The other outlier, coming in "first" is the C20 with distinct precision in the mids and offering certain naturalness to its sound.
-Coming in "second" and surprising them the most for its age is S25. The 16 year-old classic is neck-and-neck with its newest cousins.
-S40 did not come in "third" but rather different in their subjective analysis. They actually praise its tweeter the most and refer to its mid-range as the most pleasing but they found its upper bass to be a little muddy compared to the rest.

-Between S25 and S40, they think it comes down to matter of preference: the S40 offers higher quality high-notes and mids that might be more pleasing to some, while the S25 offers better bass.

-If you can find a great, used pair of S25 for 2000-2500 EUR, buy them! They are still an amazing value.
-The C20 is undoubtedly the "best" in this test of four great speakers.
RaceTripper, rob80b and andrex99 like this.

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA-DIN | Tellurium Q Black
HeadFi: Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee | Schiit Fulla 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

post #42007 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
This is pretty interesting. German publication, LowBeats, has done a comprehensive comparison of the three "SE" speakers, Contour 1.3SE, Special25, and Special40, along with Contour C20 for good measure. The title of the article is, "20 Jahre Dynaudio SE: 4 Kompaktboxen im Online-Klangvergleich" or "20 Years Dynaudio SE: 4 Compact Speakers in Online Sound Comparison."

The 1.3SE and S25 were supplied by Dynaudio, whereas they already had S40 and C20 in-house as part of their suite of benchmark speakers. The goal of the test? To determine what differences 40 years of evolution (and technology) has done to Dynaudio sound.

The article, in German, is here: https://www.lowbeats.de/dynaudio-se-...ine-vergleich/

-They are surprised how similar the four sound, each providing neutral, room-filling sound with high quality bass for their size.

-The 1.3SE came in "last" showing its age with the less precise mids. For similar size and price (MSRP in Germany in year of release), the S40 shows specific gains in this regard.
-The other outlier, coming in "first" is the C20 with distinct precision in the mids and offering certain naturalness to its sound.
-Coming in "second" and surprising them the most for its age is S25. The 16 year-old classic is neck-and-neck with its newest cousins.
-S40 did not come in "third" but rather different in their subjective analysis. They actually praise its tweeter the most and refer to its mid-range as the most pleasing but they found its upper bass to be a little muddy compared to the rest.

-Between S25 and S40, they think it comes down to matter of preference: the S40 offers higher quality high-notes and mids that might be more pleasing to some, while the S25 offers better bass.

-If you can find a great, used pair of S25 for 2000-2500 EUR, buy them! They are still an amazing value.

Thanks for translation.
Good representation of current values:
1.3se 1k, S25 2.5k, S40 3k, C20 4.5k.

Maybe best buy these days is C1 platinum @ 5k with discount.

Special 40s, Moon350PD, Moon 330A, Moon Neo 310LP, Thorens TD2001 AT9 ART9, Media center Jriver all linear powered, Puc Lite USB converter
post #42008 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM
dyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Happy New Year Everyone...

I have a question to start the thread for this year. I hope Otto can answer this question.

I fully agree and understand the fact that there are countless of matters that contribute to how a speaker sound. Even a tiny change will result in different sound. And sometimes the tiny change results in a significant change in sound quality.

Given this fact, how do you design a speaker with the same characteristic over 40 years as shown on the recent review by LowBeats?

To take this further, how do you know that the new design (for example the new esotar3 or the new hexis design or even different internal cable) will result in better sound quality and, at the same time, same characteristic with the previous speakers?

How do you even know if the new design will result in better sound quality? Once again, we all believe that small difference can result in significant difference in sound quality and charcteristic. And we just do not know whether that change will be better or worse until we listen to it.

I really do not understand. You can have better design, more advanced technology, etc which, you think, will result in better sound. But the truth is you do not even know how they would sound. For me, this is like walking with closed eyes and hoping we will get where we want to go.

I am a Dynaudio fanatic and wondering how the sound, which I am so facinated with, is designed.
post #42009 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn View Post

I have a question to start the thread for this year. I hope Otto can answer this question.

I fully agree and understand the fact that there are countless of matters that contribute to how a speaker sound. Even a tiny change will result in different sound. And sometimes the tiny change results in a significant change in sound quality.

Given this fact, how do you design a speaker with the same characteristic over 40 years as shown on the recent review by LowBeats?

To take this further, how do you know that the new design (for example the new esotar3 or the new hexis design or even different internal cable) will result in better sound quality and, at the same time, same characteristic with the previous speakers?

How do you even know if the new design will result in better sound quality? Once again, we all believe that small difference can result in significant difference in sound quality and charcteristic. And we just do not know whether that change will be better or worse until we listen to it.

I really do not understand. You can have better design, more advanced technology, etc which, you think, will result in better sound. But the truth is you do not even know how they would sound. For me, this is like walking with closed eyes and hoping we will get where we want to go.

I am a Dynaudio fanatic and wondering how the sound, which I am so facinated with, is designed.
Heh. Lurking for 10+ years?!? Congrats on your first post.

What is sound quality? What is better sound? Who at Dynaudio defines these reference points?

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

post #42010 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2550
A lot of answers are here...https://www.dynaudio.com/dynaudio-academy

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #42011 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They are using Dyn speakers with B&W speaker stands. Isn't that like a sin? lol

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #42012 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

Given this fact, how do you design a speaker with the same characteristic over 40 years as shown on the recent review by LowBeats?....
No doubt Dynaudio tosses out a lot of prototypes in the pursuit of improved versions of the house sound. They likely have a design guidelines for their speakers and some revisions make it to the guidelines and some are dismissed as failures. There is no direct path in the process of engineering something. I'm a software engineer and follow similar practices.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Naim Audio NDX2/XPS DR/NAC-252/SuperCap DR/NAP-300 DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum REL R-328 x 2
post #42013 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Otto...I have a follow-up:

Could you explain to me...how to master Time, Space, and Dimension?

post #42014 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 10:12 AM

How To Build Your Home Theater?

Screw that; how do I get this loft?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dynaudio_surround_evoke_50_25c_sub3_02.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	2503350  

post #42015 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That system comes with the new invisible Dynaudio wires....nice...
CDLehner and Sirmorebeer like this.

post #42016 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:

I think it's a simple answer. Use your ears . Just because I like a particular 'sound' it doesn't mean you or anyone else will. As far as changing internal wires or crossover components I'll give an example. Going from the C1's to the Signatures did the sound change? IMO NO. But what did change for me was the fact you didn't need to crank the originals up to max volume to get them to sound their best. Also just because the 'specs' look better or worse doesn't indicate how they will sound. I think a lot of speaker companies (not all) use CAD to come up with a basic design then they use human ears to tweak the final product.

Welcome and Happy New Year to all
post #42017 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I'm curious too
I sent callas a pm with a copy paste of the conversation and he has my permission to share it with you. Suppose I was torn between a gmc and chevy and I already drove the chevy but needed to try the gmc, ford, whatever before I pulled the trigger, would a car/truck dealer turn me away? I'm trying to make an informed decision on an expensive purchase and I'm not going to make that decision til i've scratched the contenders off my list. Like I said I get where he's coming from and I found another dynaudio dealer that will let me demo the c60 despite already listening to a different speaker at a different shop.

post #42018 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
How To Build Your Home Theater?

Screw that; how do I get this loft?

Around here, plenty of them at about $0.10 a square foot. Minimum lease is 200,000 sq. ft. though.
andrex99 likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, E.A.T. C-Major TT w/Ortofon Quintet Blue cart.
post #42019 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 PM

NO. and yes You are correct that I shouldn't have posted anything because from everything i've heard about Tyler and Next level audio He is a first class guy running a good shop. I inserted my understanding of the word ethical and will get flamed to death for it because this is the internet and thats what we do. I highly recommend the shop and the family that work there.

post #42020 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
NO. and yes You are correct that I shouldn't have posted anything because from everything i've heard about Tyler and Next level audio He is a first class guy running a good shop. I inserted my understanding of the word ethical and will get flamed to death for it because this is the internet and thats what we do. I highly recommend the shop and the family that work there.
In light of Steve's explanation; I'm going to remove my previous post.

post #42021 of 46193 Old 12-31-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Happy new year everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OctaDyn_Dude and andrex99 like this.

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #42022 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Happy new year. Anyone knows which month new Confidence will be released for shipping?

Special 40s, Moon350PD, Moon 330A, Moon Neo 310LP, Thorens TD2001 AT9 ART9, Media center Jriver all linear powered, Puc Lite USB converter
post #42023 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 108
So I decided to get rid of my 12 inch sub (SVS sb12-nsd) and pair my Confidence C1 Mk II's instead, with a pro sub so that I can go fully balanced from source to amp. Naturally I looked at Dynaudio's offerings and ended up selecting the 9.5 inch 9S. I was slightly concerned that the substantially smaller sub might struggle to provide the quantity of bass needed for my moderately sized room but I needn't have been. The 9S goes lower (22Hz) than the SVS and is much tighter and more musical making the SVS sound bloated and boomy by comparison.

I use the Dyn sub's internal crossover to divide the frequencies at 80Hz high and low pass to allow the C1's to run more efficiently.

The result of these changes in my system is, by far, the best sound I've ever had in any listening room I've ever had and I've been at this hobby for 40 yrs.

I've followed this thread for several years and never heard any discussion of the idea of pairing the C1's with a Dyanudio pro studio sub but I can, not surprisingly, vouch for the perfect compatibility of of the 9S with the C1's, at least for those who have all balanced upstream gear.

This is what my system now looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2504258  
GTaudiophile likes this.

PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brickwall Series Mode Line Conditioner)

Last edited by Andy Linkner; 01-01-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #42024 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Linkner View Post
So I decided to get rid of my 12 inch sub (SVS sb12-nsd) and pair my Confidence C1 Mk II's instead, with a pro sub so that I can go fully balanced from source to amp. Naturally I looked at Dynaudio's offerings and ended up selecting the 9.5 inch 9S. I was slightly concerned that the substantially smaller sub might struggle to provide the quantity of bass needed for my moderately sized room but I needn't have been. The 9S goes lower (22Hz) than the SVS and is much tighter and more musical making the SVS sound bloated and boomy by comparison.

I use the Dyn sub's internal crossover to divide the frequencies at 80Hz high and low pass to allow the C1's to run more efficiently.

The result of these changes in my system is, by far, the best sound I've ever had in any listening room I've ever had and I've been at this hobby for 40 yrs.

I've followed this thread for several years and never heard any discussion of the idea of pairing the C1's with a Dyanudio pro studio sub but I can, not surprisingly, vouch for the perfect compatibility of of the 9S with the C1's, at least for those who have all balanced upstream gear.

That's awesome.

I have been thinking about the concept of going with Contour C20 + Sub versus Contour C30 as a potential upgrade path.

Contour C30: $7500 USD retail
Contour C20 + Stand6 + Sub3: $7300 USD retail

More or less a wash? Which gives "better" performance?

Most dealers I have been to have "warned" me against adding a sub as the coherence of the speakers will be disturbed. I have always raised my eyebrows at this a little.

Any idea what the difference is between the Sub3 and Sub9S? As far as I can tell, there are the same, except the 3 uses RCA inputs/outputs and the 9S uses XLR inputs/outputs. The 3 also offers a choice of the white finish. The Sub3 is $1800 USD retail. The 9S can be found online retail for $1200.

post #42025 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Any idea what the difference is between the Sub3 and Sub9S?
The specs look the same. Just the balanced vs. unbalanced connections and the lack of grill with the 9S.

PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brickwall Series Mode Line Conditioner)
post #42026 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Linkner View Post

That's awesome.

I have been thinking about the concept of going with Contour C20 + Sub versus Contour C30 as a potential upgrade path.

Contour C30: $7500 USD retail
Contour C20 + Stand6 + Sub3: $7300 USD retail

More or less a wash? Which gives "better" performance?

Most dealers I have been to have "warned" me against adding a sub as the coherence of the speakers will be disturbed. I have always raised my eyebrows at this a little.

Any idea what the difference is between the Sub3 and Sub9S? As far as I can tell, there are the same, except the 3 uses RCA inputs/outputs and the 9S uses XLR inputs/outputs. The 3 also offers a choice of the white finish. The Sub3 is $1800 USD retail. The 9S can be found online retail for $1200.
I’ve been thinking about adding a sub for a while now. I have tried my SVS sub but like above I found it slow and sloppy with music. I will probably try a REL sub sometime this year. I have a sub with my Totem Mites and UnitiQute. It’s a cheap Polk sub but it actually works well and helps add some low end to the Mites. Seems to blend well to my ears.
post #42027 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I've been using a pair of older REL R-328 subs with my C2 Platinum. Every time I turn them off I feel cheated. I love how they improve everything.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Naim Audio NDX2/XPS DR/NAC-252/SuperCap DR/NAP-300 DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum REL R-328 x 2
post #42028 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As for sub vs. no sub, I guess the answer may be: it depends (on the sub). I would expect Dynaudio to make subs that match well with their speakers.

I wonder if Otto has auditioned (in-house) C30 vs. C20+Sub3? I wonder which combo he would be pick?

Happy New Year, Otto! May it be the year of Evoke...Confidence...and what else?

post #42029 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

REL is the way to go. Their own high level connection specifically.

post #42030 of 46193 Old 01-01-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 921
I used two JL Fathom 112’s in my fully balanced home theatre a few years back...at first with C1 MK11’s,then XD 600’s.There were two user profiles I had set up on my Cary Cinema 12,7.2 for movies and 2.2 for two channel.i rarely just sat in the basement listening to 2 channel,but when I did,it sounded excellent.The thing is,the C1’s popped still when I cranked it up REAL LOUD,so I moved on to the 600’s.I also tried one JL sub upstairs with my Naim 2 channel setup,at the time with my excite 12’s...this sounded fantastic too.I believe it also matters if the preamp has a dedicated “sub out”,which the SN2 does....my integrated at that time.Growing up,I always had subs in my vehicles,so I grew accustomed to lots of bass,and lots of volume,so I liked what I heard by adding subs for two channel.The question is,was it an “accurate” reproduction of what the artist/mixer intended?

Confidence centre, XD 600's,Excite 12’s,Chord,Naim,Cary Audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page