Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8410Likes

post #43321 of 43392 Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Is the walnut finish done guys? It seems there are some decent deals going on in this finish on Contour. Is this due to closeout of that finish?
They are still using Walnut finish on the newer Evoke, I don't think it's going away. Otto could chime in and let you know as he would be the direct contact for that specific answer.

I should have a pair of Contour 20s in Grey Oak here by Friday, I couldn't wait for the Confidence 20's, plus their price point isn't that appealing anymore. I am extremely happy they decided to keep all the finishes the same price in the Contour lineup, instead of an up-charging, I went with the Grey Oak finish and the Silver stand, should look great in new room. I may eventually sell my Confidence C2 Platinums down the road but after listening to them tonight in the new room that was finally done properly, all I can say is WOW! I haven't had time to just sit down and calmly listen to some good music, going to sign up for Quboz next and give the NAD M10 a whirl with the Contour 20 and Confidence C2's as well to see how it preforms as all around device.

Dynaudio Confidence Platinum C2, Special 40's/KEFs and Elac 5.2s / Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, Pass Labs, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43322 of 43392 Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
They are still using Walnut finish on the newer Evoke, I don't think it's going away. Otto could chime in and let you know as he would be the direct contact for that specific answer.

I should have a pair of Contour 20s in Grey Oak here by Friday, I couldn't wait for the Confidence 20's, plus their price point isn't that appealing anymore. I am extremely happy they decided to keep all the finishes the same price in the Contour lineup, instead of an up-charging, I went with the Grey Oak finish and the Silver stand, should look great in new room. I may eventually sell my Confidence C2 Platinums down the road but after listening to them tonight in the new room that was finally done properly, all I can say is WOW! I haven't had time to just sit down and calmly listen to some good music, going to sign up for Quboz next and give the NAD M10 a whirl with the Contour 20 and Confidence C2's as well to see how it preforms as all around device.

Congrats on the c20s Gar. It truly is a remarkable speaker for the $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN2, Hi-Cap DR, ND5XS2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Emit 10, 2X JTR S1, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz C2 Power Distribution,X Power and speaker cables
post #43323 of 43392 Old 05-15-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Congrats on the c20s Gar. It truly is a remarkable speaker for the $$$.

Well, I needed a decent monitor I can basically move anywhere with, and you just can't beat the price point of the Contour 20's with that beautiful finish, I think my wife will be drooling more than I once I get them setup.

Dynaudio Confidence Platinum C2, Special 40's/KEFs and Elac 5.2s / Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, Pass Labs, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43324 of 43392 Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, I needed a decent monitor I can basically move anywhere with, and you just can't beat the price point of the Contour 20's with that beautiful finish, I think my wife will be drooling more than I once I get them setup.

One of my favorite finishes by far in a long time.

Garman and no quarter like this.

Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz C2 Power Distribution,X Power and speaker cables
post #43325 of 43392 Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:

Congrats on the C20’s Garman, are they brand new, or a trade in? Are you going to do a side by side with the S 40’s, or are they part of the deal? When you move to a smaller place, you could always trade the C2’s on one of George’s power cords.,just kidding George,I know it is worth it to you,that’s all that’s matters.

5.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50,, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50,power lines,Focal Sopra 1,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #43326 of 43392 Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Congrats on the C20’s Garman, are they brand new, or a trade in? Are you going to do a side by side with the S 40’s, or are they part of the deal? When you move to a smaller place, you could always trade the C2’s on one of George’s power cords.,just kidding George,I know it is worth it to you,that’s all that’s matters.
LOL! You can't take this stuff with you, my hobby is changing from getting back into shape and paying for kids colleges, than buying new gear... This will be my last speaker purchase for some time, unless another member buys my Confidence Platinum C2's, but after hearing them tonight that might not happen for some time, the room I built sure makes anything sound even better. The smaller place is at least 5-8 years away, just hoping to get my High School Freshmen a Athletic and or Academic scholarship as he is running the mile at 4:37 pace and just missed out at State Track meet by 1 second, this could ease my pocket book, next on my agenda becoming 3 car family soon enough!

post #43327 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Congrats on the C20! I also think it’s a great speaker. If I wouldn’t have gotten a deal on c30 I would have been happy for a while with them. Curious how they stack up to C2. I’m sure C2 has more low end but everything else.

As far as walnut going away in Contoud range I believe it is. Someone posted a price list and walnut and ivory oak was gone.
post #43328 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I should have a pair of Contour 20s in Grey Oak here by Friday, I couldn't wait for the Confidence 20's, plus their price point isn't that appealing anymore. I am extremely happy they decided to keep all the finishes the same price in the Contour lineup, instead of an up-charging, I went with the Grey Oak finish and the Silver stand, should look great in new room.
Congratulations on the new addition. I'm interested to hear your opinions on how they compare to your C2's. Of course, overall scale will be affected a bit, but the other aspects of how they differ will be interesting to hear. I know many dealers/salesman who sold off their C1's and upgraded to the Contour 20's when they first released, so I'm wondering if you'll prefer the new Contour sound over the C2's overall.

I've never seen the grey oak on silver stands. I'm interested to see how they look.
post #43329 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since adding my new switch (2960), I have only been using my Sopra’s to test it.Today I used the XD600’s, and I also hear I nice upgrade with those too.I had the “treble” switch on the back set at zero up until now,I decided to bump it up to +1.0 DB today, and man, with the new switch and the DB bump...the 600’s have never sounded better.I would say it is equal to the last firmware upgrade Dyn did, outstanding.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.

5.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50,, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50,power lines,Focal Sopra 1,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #43330 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Since adding my new switch (2960), I have only been using my Sopra’s to test it.Today I used the XD600’s, and I also hear I nice upgrade with those too.I had the “treble” switch on the back set at zero up until now,I decided to bump it up to +1.0 DB today, and man, with the new switch and the DB bump...the 600’s have never sounded better.I would say it is equal to the last firmware upgrade Dyn did, outstanding.
My 2960s are due to arrive tomorrow (I'm installing two).

I'm also feeling pretty confident about getting the Naim NDX2. I came home from work today to find my wife painting a bedroom. While, working on that she pulled up the Roon app on her iPhone and was blasting rock and jazz on the system for background music. In the 24 years we've been married she has never, ever used the hifi system on her own. This is a game changer for her.
jnelson2000 likes this.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Naim Audio ND5-XS/NAC282/HCDR/NAP250DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum REL R-328 x 2

Last edited by RaceTripper; 05-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.
post #43331 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
My 2960s are due to arrive tomorrow (I'm installing two).

I'm also feeling pretty confident about getting the Naim DNX2. I came home from work today to find my wife painting a bedroom. While, working on that she pulled up the Roon app on her iPhone and was blasting rock and jazz on the system for background music. In the 24 years we've been married she has never, ever used the hifi system on her own. This is a game changer for her.
I hope you hear the improvement I am, for the money...well worth trying.Mine seems a little better today also, who knows how long it was out of use.It actually looks brand new.I just hooked up all the Ethernet cables first, then plugged it in. It took about 10-15 minutes to cycle through whatever it was doing.I restarted my Core, chose UPNP on my NDS, and it played right away when I selected a song.
With it fully running, all the little lights are green on it.

post #43332 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope you hear the improvement I am, for the money...well worth trying.Mine seems a little better today also, who knows how long it was out of use.It actually looks brand new.I just hooked up all the Ethernet cables first, then plugged it in. It took about 10-15 minutes to cycle through whatever it was doing.I restarted my Core, chose UPNP on my NDS, and it played right away when I selected a song.
With it fully running, all the little lights are green on it.
Did you do a factory reset on it.

I'll be happy just to get better network reliability. The switches I have are cheap unmanaged switches and they can be a bit flakey at times. It doesn't matter for everything else so much but I don't want the NDX2 constantly requesting retransmission of packets. That can make the NIC is has operate with a bit more noise if it's working harder than it needs to be.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 05-16-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #43333 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you do a factory reset on it.

I'll be happy just top get better network reliability. The switches I have a cheap unmanaged switches and they can be a bit flakey at times. It doesn't matter fpor everything else so much but I don't want the NDX2 constantly requesting retransmission of packets. That can make the NIC is has operate with a bit more noise if it's working harder than it needs to be.
No reset was needed, just plugged it all in and it worked.

post #43334 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No reset was needed, just plugged it all in and it worked.

I know this is off topic, but I wonder how old the ios is on the switches. I got two today and I ended up upgrading the ios running a depreciated version to the latest 15. Since I configure networks for a living I fully configured them. So far so good. Also going to try 2 Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cables. One for the ND5XS2 and the other for the Unity Core. Only playing at low volume right now (kids still have school for another week).

If ya all need help loading the latest os from Cisco and a basic config to get things going give me a shout. Always willing to help.

RaceTripper and OctaDyn_Dude like this.

post #43335 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know this is off topic, but I wonder how old the ios is on the switches. I got two today and I ended up upgrading the ios running a depreciated version to the latest 15. Since I configure networks for a living I fully configured them. So far so good. Also going to try 2 Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cables. One for the ND5XS2 and the other for the Unity Core. Only playing at low volume right now (kids still have school for another week).

If ya all need help loading the latest os from Cisco and a basic config to get things going give me a shout. Always willing to help.

I found this article for upgrading the ios.
https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/06...sco-ios-image/

post #43336 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the offer, but I doubt I will mess with mine, since it works really well so far.Out of curiosity though, could upgrading the IOS make it sound better in some way? The Naim Forum networking expert (Simon in Suffolk) is the guy who originally recommended these switches, and he says Cat5e is all that is needed.I think he designs switches, or networks, or something like that. Anyway, he is very knowledgeable on these things, so I trust his input. Hopefully you will get a chance to do some serious listening soon, see what you think.

post #43337 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but I doubt I will mess with mine, since it works really well so far.Out of curiosity though, could upgrading the IOS make it sound better in some way? The Naim Forum networking expert (Simon in Suffolk) is the guy who originally recommended these switches, and he says Cat5e is all that is needed.I think he designs switches, or networks, or something like that. Anyway, he is very knowledgeable on these things, so I trust his input. Hopefully you will get a chance to do some serious listening soon, see what you think.

I don’t know about improving SQ. But OS updates are usually to fix bugs, memory leaks etc. so I guess it might if nothing else stabilize performance.

Once I get the Cat8 cables it will be fun to do a blind test with my wife. That way I can get an U.N. biased opinion.

Contour 30s finally starting to come around after the sound good, sound like s*%t, sound better stages. Also still trying to break in the Ansuz X Din5 to Din5 cable. Probably at around 120-150 hours now.

RaceTripper and OctaDyn_Dude like this.

post #43338 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know about improving SQ. But OS updates are usually to fix bugs, memory leaks etc. so I guess it might if nothing else stabilize performance.

Once I get the Cat8 cables it will be fun to do a blind test with my wife. That way I can get an U.N. biased opinion.

Contour 30s finally starting to come around after the sound good, sound like s*%t, sound better stages. Also still trying to break in the Ansuz X Din5 to Din5 cable. Probably at around 120-150 hours now.

I might hit you up for some advice on configuration. In addition to streaming, I use my network heavily to VPN to my client enterprise network when I work from home (3 days/week), and I don't do it just for email, etc. I'm a software engineer – so engineering, and not IT – and I'm using a development toolchain hosted on their network.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 05-16-2019 at 08:33 PM.
post #43339 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I might hit you up for some advice on configuration. In addition, I use this network to VPN to my client enterprise network when I work from home, and I don't do it just for email, etc. I'm a software engineer – so engineering, and not IT – and I'm using a development toolchain hosted on their network.

RT

Did they give you the Blue console cable? You’ll need that in order to default it, assign IP address, upgrade, etc. it has a 9pin to rj45 so make sure you have a pc that has a serial or serial to usb. Be glad to help. Config is rather simple. Just a few tweaks to bring the ports up faster, spanning tree and such.

post #43340 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RT

Did they give you the Blue console cable? You’ll need that in order to default it, assign IP address, upgrade, etc. it has a 9pin to rj45 so make sure you have a pc that has a serial or serial to usb. Be glad to help. Config is rather simple. Just a few tweaks to bring the ports up faster, spanning tree and such.

We'll see if the cable is included. I won't receive them until Monday. I only use Macs at home. My only PC is a client provided machine but it's locked down tighter than the chastity belt of a Mediaeval crusader's wife, so I can't use that for configuration. Is their a web interface for configuration, or a REST API?

post #43341 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We'll see if the cable is included. I won't receive them until Monday. I only use Macs at home. My only PC is a client provided machine but it's locked down tighter than the chastity belt of a Mediaeval crusader's wife, so I can't use that for configuration. Is their a web interface for configuration, or a REST API?

No. It’s command line driven. You’ll need a free tftp server, putty and the cable. My creds will get me into Cisco for the software.

RaceTripper likes this.

post #43342 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No. It’s command line driven. You’ll need a free tftp server, putty and the cable. My creds will get me into Cisco for the software.

My Mac is unix so I already have tftp, ssh, telnet, etc. Looks like the cable will be the hard part.

post #43343 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My switch came with the box only, no cables at all. I suppose the ones that cost a little more might have the cables.

post #43344 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My switch came with the box only, no cables at all. I suppose the ones that cost a little more might have the cables.

Nah. They all originally come with one. I know it’s not a lot of money for the refurbished switch. I probably have 10 laying around between my house and the office so if ya need one PP me the postage and I’ll get one to ya.

post #43345 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nah. They all originally come with one. I know it’s not a lot of money for the refurbished switch. I probably have 10 laying around between my house and the office so if ya need one PP me the postage and I’ll get one to ya.

I realize the new ones have all the cables,I just mean that guys asking a bit more for used ones might have all the cables included. I wonder if your Contours are sounding better today because of the switch?

post #43346 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I realize the new ones have all the cables,I just mean that guys asking a bit more for used ones might have all the cables included. I wonder if your Contours are sounding better today because of the switch?

I think it maybe the 4 beers I had earlier. But who knows.

OctaDyn_Dude likes this.

post #43347 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

In all fairness I do think the switch is helping a bit. Keep in mind I run the Ansuz foundation so my noise floor is already black. Not George black but close.

post #43348 of 43392 Old 05-16-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.hificritic.com/uploads/2...cisco_2961.pdf

If anyone is wondering what we are babbling on about,this is one article in particular that got me interested in the 2960 switch...since he has an NDS and. Core like me,that is the exact same switch I now use in the photo. He also talks about the benefit of isolating the switch on Fraim shelf,and I have an empty one.

post #43349 of 43392 Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Family portrait. New C1’s and old s1.4’s
Just getting in my first listen after a long day yesterday didn't allow me to do more than get them on the stands. So far, wonderful. Even if the positioning isn’t correct. More impressions to come but the separation of instruments and sound stage was even noticed by my 10 yo daughter. I hope to sit down with her this weekend and dig in to some Billie Eilish.

Update: 2 hours into listening, the soundstage is fantastic and the sound is effortless. Low volume level detail is very good, requires less volume to catch all the details. The cabinets just disappear and the tweeter and mid/bass operate as a single point source. Got to love that 1st order crossover. I have disconnected my subwoofer and do not want for anything but the lowest octave when listening to electronica (Massive Attack) or large orchestral works with organ/timpani. I am quite pleased, if the ear to ear grin on my face does not give it away. Additional bonus, the wife appreciates the improvement as well and even conceded that they are not as ugly in person (in our living room) as she thought they were from photos.

However she did start with the, what are you doing with the old speakers?
Me: "trading them with the speakers in my office"
Her: "office? how many speakers do you have?!?" "When did you get those?..."

Speaker disease: optimal number of speakers to own is n+1

Garman, andrex99 and Delija like this.

"When I die, don't let my wife sell my stereo for what I told her I paid for it."
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum, Musical Fidelity A3.2CR Power Amp, A3.2CR Preamp, A3.2 CD, MSB Gold DAC, MSB P1000 PSU, Apple APE, Monarchy Audio DIP Combo, Integra CP-1055F, Kimber Kable

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 05-17-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #43350 of 43392 Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
https://www.hificritic.com/uploads/2...cisco_2961.pdf

If anyone is wondering what we are babbling on about,this is one article in particular that got me interested in the 2960 switch...since he has an NDS and. Core like me,that is the exact same switch I now use in the photo. He also talks about the benefit of isolating the switch on Fraim shelf,and I have an empty one.
OMG, that guy's prose is really painful to read. It's hard to figure out what he's trying to communicate half the time. Apparently, that rag has no competent editors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page