Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8839Likes

post #43531 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
I find 200 or 300 required break-in or perceived break-in hours ridiculous in thought.
I thought so, too.

But my C60's really needed that. The difference was pretty significant.
eagle33331 likes this.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V

Last edited by Delija; 06-09-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43532 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 531
I’ve owned Focus and Confidence in the past and there was no such requirement. The speakers did not morph into something else after weeks of playing.

Why is Contour different?

As I stated above I preferred the 40 sound over Contour. Not that Contour was bad just that the 40 was a different animal in regards to fun factor and more engaging.

I have not owned nearly as many Dynaudio as most of you but I have owned the two listed above. I’ve always found the older Contour, and although much better now, the current Contour, to be my least favorite Dynaudio speakers I’ve auditioned. The latest are not nearly as dark sounding as the original, but they seem to be too analytical to me. I’ve owned that sound before and I think my tastes are changing. But again, that’s me. I can see why many buy the Contour.
post #43533 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

I don't find Contour's analytical at all.

I wouldn't even mind if they had just a little more "sparkle" and "air".
eagle33331 likes this.

Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V

Last edited by Delija; 06-09-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43534 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 346
My Focus 340's took over 300 and probably closer to 400 hours before they were fully broken in for me... When they had less than 200 hours on them the bass output was less than my 260's and I was pretty worried about them.
post #43535 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

In my case, it wasn't just the bass.
The mids and highs were somewhat harsh and fatiguing and the sound as a whole was not in perfect balance. The soundstage depth was also lacking.

I did have the experience with run-in of speakers, but it was never so radical.
I was even a little worried

BTW, in my case, run-in process was probably somewhat slower, because I'm using them in 2.1 configuration (80 Hz high-pass filter).

LG OLED65C7V

Last edited by Delija; 06-09-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #43536 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
I’ve owned Focus and Confidence in the past and there was no such requirement. The speakers did not morph into something else after weeks of playing.

Why is Contour different?

As I stated above I preferred the 40 sound over Contour. Not that Contour was bad just that the 40 was a different animal in regards to fun factor and more engaging.

I have not owned nearly as many Dynaudio as most of you but I have owned the two listed above. I’ve always found the older Contour, and although much better now, the current Contour, to be my least favorite Dynaudio speakers I’ve auditioned. The latest are not nearly as dark sounding as the original, but they seem to be too analytical to me. I’ve owned that sound before and I think my tastes are changing. But again, that’s me. I can see why many buy the Contour.
I am with you Mr Softdome...I have owned focus 160’s,C1 MK11’s,Special 40’s, and currently own excite 12’s and XD 600’s. NONE of them sounded bad fresh out of the box, and I would say break in might of changed the sound for the better by maybe 5-10%. Nothing really significant though, and I believe a lot of it is just your ears/brain becoming accustomed to the new sound. I would be worried if I did not like them right away, and probably would not buy them after a couple of week home demo. The further up the chain you move with speakers, the rest of your system will show you what it is lacking, that is why I concentrate on improving my source/electronics before speakers...but that’s just me.

3.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,Cary 500.1 monoblock
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Chord Hugo TT2/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50, excite 12’s,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #43537 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Remember how I commented about how the 20 almost sounded like the worse speaker Dynaudio has ever produce and that was according to the Nordost guy at the show in Montreal. Hek the guys has had many Dynadio speakers over the years and he told me be patient when you get yours 30s, It totally felt the same way when i got the 30s, hek couple hundred hours later they finally sounded as expected maybe less but 25-30 hours is a long way to go. For my part I had other speaker to compare directly from before and after break in so it was quite obvious the 30s did not sound their best. Anyhow Steve give them some time they will sound as expected maybe with less extension than the 260 but all other aspect should improve, I feel they are smoother and quite engaging with more pace than the 260.

I am tempted to get a demo pair or Special 40 in Red Birch for just a little over $2k. I'll see.
I had the Contour 20 and 40 side by side, and I have stated what "I" thought the improvements where... There are craploads of good reviews on the 40's and 20's now which drive people to look at them, I have had more than most when it comes to Dynaudio over the years, and speaking from experience that guy is about off base as telling me Frey Speaker wire sounds so much better than Blue Heaven! LOL Hell the Contour 20's just on this NAD M10 device sounds amazing. I haven't even hooked them up to the Belles gear yet, but just like anything in life, not everyone has the same tastes. Raidho/Scansonic make good speakers, but I thought they where way too bright when compared to Dynaudio, but did work much better when sitting up close (Nearfield), but doesn't mean someone else might like them, I did not. If one likes the C2s/C4s as a Floorstanders one might like these as well, very neutral and natural sounding and non fatiguing, lets not forget the new Contour line now is using a lot of past Confidence technology and new technology mixed in, another thing people don't factor in the most important thing! "Room Acoustics", better than any cable or any gear, if you get that wrong good luck making any speaker sound good. My old room was bright, took me forever before I found a speaker that worked well.
eagle33331 likes this.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; 06-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #43538 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
I believe a lot of it is just your ears/brain becoming accustomed to the new sound.
Part of it - for sure.

But, I knew very well how already run-in speakers sound - that was the reason I've ordered my pair in the first place.

And, in the first 40-50 hours the sound was not where it should be.
post #43539 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 717
I believe in break-in, but only on the order of hours, not weeks or months. In fact, my Dynaudio BM5 owner's manual suggests just a couple hours to properly break-in.

And FWIW, I compared a pair of X18's with a pair of Contour 20's with my dealer:

I preferred the Excites overall. The C20's sounded too "soft" for lack of a better term.

The Contours had a smoother sound and the tweeter was more refined. However, there wasn't much bass kick considering the size or oomph and the treble was too mellow for my tastes, lacking some bite. The Contours made everything sound "far away."

The build quality and looks (ivory oak finish) were impeccable with the C20's. For some types of music, I can totally see people enjoying the Contours more, but for me, they wouldn't cut it with Movies/TV and more energetic music.

Both were very good, I just liked the Excites more and being much cheaper, it was an easy decision.
Lp85253 likes this.

Speakers: M040 | X18 | UB5
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810
post #43540 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/.../en/running-in

Quote:
Special Forty User manual

Running-in the loudspeakers

The moving parts of a newly manufactured Dynaudio loudspeaker have been acoustically checked after production, but nevertheless are not as flexible as they need to be for optimum results to be realised. The higher the quality of any driver system, the more demanding the loudspeaker will be regarding time for running-in the system.

A newly unpacked Dynaudio loudspeaker therefore requires several weeks running/ playing to reach its optimum performance capability. After that period, a couple of minutes before every listening session will be helpful to “warm up” the loudspeakers.
Garman likes this.

LG OLED65C7V
post #43541 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
In my case, it wasn't just the bass.
The mids and highs were somewhat harsh and fatiguing and the sound as a whole was not in perfect balance. The soundstage depth was also lacking.

I did have the experience with run-in of speakers, but it was never so radical.
I was even a little worried

BTW, in my case, run-in process was probably somewhat slower, because I'm using them in 2.1 configuration (80 Hz high-pass filter).
Yeah, I knew the mids and high's would come in, I didn't know that the bass would be able to as much as they finally did. Plus I got the 260's at the same time as I got the 340's and the bass out of them was impressive from the get go...
post #43542 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Yeah, I knew the mids and high's would come in, I didn't know that the bass would be able to as much as they finally did. Plus I got the 260's at the same time as I got the 340's and the bass out of them was impressive from the get go...
Yonson, I am in agreement on some break in time, some suggestions on other speaker manufacturers are laughable, hell in some cases your return policy would be void!

Frankly from Callas Naim frying his Focus 260s, I might have gone back to another floor stander, and possibly the new Evoke 30, might have been a better route and some thing you're more familiar with. I have always had both floor standers and monitors over the last 20 years and have done a tone, testing between the two.

Liquid$team: "The problem with comparing speaker sound is that people have their own ideas of what type of sound they like." <<<<<<<<<<<< Very well put!

The what is better threads, start with vomiting and nausea and a high fever and then press repeat! LOL hahaha

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.

Last edited by Garman; 06-09-2019 at 09:07 PM.
post #43543 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I had the Contour 20 and 40 side by side, and I have stated what "I" thought the improvements where... There are craploads of good reviews on the 40's and 20's now which drive people to look at them, I have had more than most when it comes to Dynaudio over the years, and speaking from experience that guy is about off base as telling me Frey Speaker wire sounds so much better than Blue Heaven! LOL Hell the Contour 20's just on this NAD M10 device sounds amazing. I haven't even hooked them up to the Belles gear yet, but just like anything in life, not everyone has the same tastes. Raidho/Scansonic make good speakers, but I thought they where way too bright when compared to Dynaudio, but did work much better when sitting up close (Nearfield), but doesn't mean someone else might like them, I did not. If one likes the C2s/C4s as a Floorstanders one might like these as well, very neutral and natural sounding and non fatiguing, lets not forget the new Contour line now is using a lot of past Confidence technology and new technology mixed in, another thing people don't factor in the most important thing! "Room Acoustics", better than any cable or any gear, if you get that wrong good luck making any speaker sound good. My old room was bright, took me forever before I found a speaker that worked well.

Agree with waht you're saying.

Did I mention anything about cables

I get the room acoustic Garman, what I am saying is I had many other point of comparison in my own room and was able to notice significant improvement over time in the first 100 hours with my 30s.

We were talking about break in. Not sure what you are trying to refer to but Callas said he's finding them not sounding so good after just a few hours of play time. I am sure once he's in the new house full break is done with speakers placed properly and acoustic panels strategically positioned in the new room I am sure they will play to his expectations.

Reason I went in that room to begin with was to listen to the 20s as i did a blind buy at the time on the 30s, glad I was able to hear them at the time, i could not have cared less about the crap this guys was saying about his cables but I know speakers still require some play time to sound their absolute best.

I am still tempted by the Special 40, I mean One more pai ron Dyn to my collection

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''
post #43544 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
Agree with waht you're saying.

Did I mention anything about cables

I get the room acoustic Garman, what I am saying is I had many other point of comparison in my own room and was able to notice significant improvement over time in the first 100 hours with my 30s.

We were talking about break in. Not sure what you are trying to refer to but Callas said he's finding them not sounding so good after just a few hours of play time. I am sure once he's in the new house full break is done with speakers placed properly and acoustic panels strategically positioned in the new room I am sure they will play to his expectations.

Reason I went in that room to begin with was to listen to the 20s as i did a blind buy at the time on the 30s, glad I was able to hear them at the time, i could not have cared less about the crap this guys was saying about his cables but I know speakers still require some play time to sound their absolute best.

No just replying in general not specifically you you... I rarely do blind buys anymore, but have done them before with Dyns, that for sure... I was basically saying the same to yonson about break in, I do believe in it. The cable thing was referring to room acoustics ( and that comment your cable guy made) and how speakers can sound better with the correct things done, but most of us have "inherited" a room and we have too make the best of it, some speakers do better in these environments.

My post was confusing as I was replying to several post over the last couple of days, that's what I get for drinking Gin on a Sunday night! LOL

post #43545 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Wow.... you guys are feisty today.

Look I wasn’t trying to start arguments and all that.

Let’s get some things clear... I had 3 options, the best one both financially and aesthetically for the new house was the 20s. Plus... John aka Spurrier Suck, I speak with him daily, we consulted over the 20s vs 30s. I wanted to swing for the 30s but I couldn’t, Dynaudio and Tyler gave some pretty amazing terms negotiating them wasn’t an option.

The house will have a 2-ch room and a 3.1 room, but none are built custom for that purpose. Once I get setup in the main room I will address room acoustic issues should there be some. Which I’m sure there will be.

John can tell you, for those that doubt, that I’ve commented/texted with him tirelessly to figure out setup options. I came on this forum to ask setup/ placement options as well. I did not say I needed 100s of hours. But what I heard was truth. I’m not the guy that’s going to spend $$ on cables, I have 3 meter naim cable because I was tired of the blue jeans cables slipping out the back of the amp and I knew the naim cables locked in. And I got a great price. No big amazing sound difference. No expensive power cables, the fat one that came free from Naim works great. I believe in room, speakers and amps; from there it’s about how you have it setup, which is why I asked everyone. I do believe you have to adjust your ears, but I can also trust my ears. Believe what I heard or don’t, I really don’t care.

Anyways the 20s in this room is now sounding great. Once I get to the new house come the 22nd, I’ll work to get the best out of them in that room too.
BigAl87 likes this.
post #43546 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yonson, I am in agreement on some break in time, some suggestions on other speaker manufacturers are laughable, hell in some cases your return policy would be void!

Frankly from Callas Naim frying his Focus 260s, I might have gone back to another floor stander, and possibly the new Evoke 30, might have been a better route and some thing you're more familiar with. I have always had both floor standers and monitors over the last 20 years and have done a tone, testing between the two.

Liquid$team: "The problem with comparing speaker sound is that people have their own ideas of what type of sound they like." <<<<<<<<<<<< Very well put!

The what is better threads, start with vomiting and nausea and a high fever and then press repeat! LOL hahaha
Evokes weren’t an option. I inquired about the 50s. Options were: repairs, 20s or 30s.
post #43547 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Evokes weren’t an option. I inquired about the 50s. Options were: repairs, 20s or 30s.
Interesting, you would think they would have gave you an option of some thing similar, but that is hard to say these days about Dynaudio. Seems like the company is all about making it more popular, which is a good thing for profits, but not always in the interest of the current customer. You could always try to hunt for a pair of 260's on the used market. Sorry to hear about the mishap. No arguments here, as they are only opinions of what we each like... LOL Which is typical of a BMW owner saying his 7 series is better than a M5.... Take your pick/flavor and Keeper movin!

Current setup on my 20 is about 10-12 feet apart and about 12-10 feet from listening position, depends on if I am too lazy to move the Confidence C2 out of the way or not, but the Herbie Sliders sure make it easy to move them on the hard floor. I am currently using NAD M10 to power them during break in, but intend on using Belles Mono Blocs, still searching for a new Music Player/Streamer/Dac... Current Sony HAP unit is still working but since I did an update the display has been acting up. I might use the NAD as I read you can just hook a NAS Drive up to it and call it a day.

Last edited by Garman; 06-09-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #43548 of 44563 Old 06-09-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Garman
You keep mentioning room treatments, but all I remember you doing was soundproofing the room...what treatments do you have on the walls, in the corners, because I don’t see any. My room has a ton of panels from my old home theatre, Viscoutics diffusers, absorbsion panels and bass traps in the corners...just curious what you have.

2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Chord Hugo TT2/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50, excite 12’s,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #43549 of 44563 Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Garman
You keep mentioning room treatments, but all I remember you doing was soundproofing the room...what treatments do you have on the walls, in the corners, because I don’t see any. My room has a ton of panels from my old home theatre, Viscoutics diffusers, absorbsion panels and bass traps in the corners...just curious what you have.
I mention the room, not sure if any of my post say anything about room treatments, but in most cases they are needed. And yes I am having bass traps made and I have other treatments on ordered, but you build a room correctly you don't need a ton of them... Does my room still need it, hell yes and I have some acoustic absorbers on order and as stated having some corner bass traps made and a drop down acoustic blinds that help as an absorber as well. These are the other treatments I have on order and I have some acoustic art already hung just recently. The first link is one of the guys I talked with and I also used Border Dog expertise on building since he also has a Physics degree which sure helped and another friend who works for ETC (Electric Theater Controls) building professional studios across the world. I am no expert, but I did gather information from some experts to help build this.

https://www.acousticfields.com/ode-t...istening-room/ <<<<< This guy suggested I use SoundBoard and not 2 sheets of Drywall, due to it sounding too dead... He was spot on, that's for sure.

https://www.lunchboxaudio.com/vicous...s8nhoCpJvw_wcB

https://www.atsacoustics.com/movie-a...ic-panels.html

I also need a good area rug, for first order reflections which can be greatly reduced, the good news I used some Acoustical Flooring, to help calm down some of that. Now you don't want to go to over board and over treat the hell out of a room either. I did my home work on this, and if you should ever want anything on this I have a crapload of info I could send you.

Building a dedicated room correctly can help with room acoustics, and using the correct type of room treatments can help with that as well. I mentioned room acoustics, but not room treatments, which I use and am ordering more, room is done but the tweaking isn't.
Beatlover likes this.

Last edited by Garman; 06-10-2019 at 12:29 AM.
post #43550 of 44563 Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I listen this week contour 30 with :

Mcintosh 7900 : too round for me lack attacks and detail

Devialet 140 pro : very good engaging, speed but lack bass control

Hegel 590 : perfect match for me

As anyone try higher devialet product on dual mono?
post #43551 of 44563 Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I mention the room, not sure if any of my post say anything about room treatments, but in most cases they are needed. And yes I am having bass traps made and I have other treatments on ordered, but you build a room correctly you don't need a ton of them... Does my room still need it, hell yes and I have some acoustic absorbers on order and as stated having some corner bass traps made and a drop down acoustic blinds that help as an absorber as well. These are the other treatments I have on order and I have some acoustic art already hung just recently. The first link is one of the guys I talked with and I also used Border Dog expertise on building since he also has a Physics degree which sure helped and another friend who works for ETC (Electric Theater Controls) building professional studios across the world. I am no expert, but I did gather information from some experts to help build this.

https://www.acousticfields.com/ode-t...istening-room/ <<<<< This guy suggested I use SoundBoard and not 2 sheets of Drywall, due to it sounding too dead... He was spot on, that's for sure.

https://www.lunchboxaudio.com/vicous...s8nhoCpJvw_wcB

https://www.atsacoustics.com/movie-a...ic-panels.html

I also need a good area rug, for first order reflections which can be greatly reduced, the good news I used some Acoustical Flooring, to help calm down some of that. Now you don't want to go to over board and over treat the hell out of a room either. I did my home work on this, and if you should ever want anything on this I have a crapload of info I could send you.

Building a dedicated room correctly can help with room acoustics, and using the correct type of room treatments can help with that as well. I mentioned room acoustics, but not room treatments, which I use and am ordering more, room is done but the tweaking isn't.
I use six of the Viscoutics DC2 panels behind my seating position, nine of the Wavewood panels, and two sets of flexiwall strategically placed at first reflection and behind my speakers (front wall). No help needed here.

post #43552 of 44563 Old 06-10-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, you would think they would have gave you an option of some thing similar, but that is hard to say these days about Dynaudio. Seems like the company is all about making it more popular, which is a good thing for profits, but not always in the interest of the current customer. You could always try to hunt for a pair of 260's on the used market. Sorry to hear about the mishap. No arguments here, as they are only opinions of what we each like... LOL Which is typical of a BMW owner saying his 7 series is better than a M5.... Take your pick/flavor and Keeper movin!

Current setup on my 20 is about 10-12 feet apart and about 12-10 feet from listening position, depends on if I am too lazy to move the Confidence C2 out of the way or not, but the Herbie Sliders sure make it easy to move them on the hard floor. I am currently using NAD M10 to power them during break in, but intend on using Belles Mono Blocs, still searching for a new Music Player/Streamer/Dac... Current Sony HAP unit is still working but since I did an update the display has been acting up. I might use the NAD as I read you can just hook a NAS Drive up to it and call it a day.
I will get to comparing 260s & 20s soon once I feel everything has settled but honestly I’m starting to really like the 20s.
post #43553 of 44563 Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use six of the Viscoutics DC2 panels behind my seating position, nine of the Wavewood panels, and two sets of flexiwall strategically placed at first reflection and behind my speakers (front wall). No help needed here.
no quarter for some reason I didn't expect any other type of answer from you! I believe you mentioned the Viscoutics DC2 panels to me back when room was being built or some one else did? Of course some of this helps when building the actual room, but I am with you on treatments, first off was building proper room for me and what I wanted, then the second was tweaking it with Diffusion and some absorption. I followed this guys rules of thumb which helped.

https://www.audimute.com/wall-panels

no quarter: These are ones I was looking at buying, I would love diffusers that have some artwork on them though, much easier to get passed the wife! LOL

https://acousticalsolutions.com/prod...ound-diffuser/

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...-custom-sized/

callas01: Are you going to have your 260 rebuilt? If Cabinets are still good, that would be cool if you could rebuild them..

Last edited by Garman; 06-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #43554 of 44563 Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those panels should do the trick Garman, just tell the wife to stay upstairs... I spent about $2,500 Canadian on all my Viscoutics panels, but they were for my home theatre, which housed 7 speakers and 2 JL Fathom 112’s in a relatively small area. When I moved here,I put them to full use, since I have them already, but I probably would not of bought so many since the subs are now gone and the room is actually bigger now. Another factor for me now is that I can’t crank it too loud any more, luckily though, I work straight afternoons/nights so I listen during the day, where noise is not frowned upon so much. Two years here now, and no noise complaints yet.

Callas
Have you found out the cause of the 260’s frying yet?...Garman mentioned the Naim Star, but I am curious if that has been established.

post #43555 of 44563 Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Current Sony HAP unit is still working but since I did an update the display has been acting up. I might use the NAD as I read you can just hook a NAS Drive up to it and call it a day.
@Garman , call Sony if you have time so they can document that you are having this issue. I have one of these units (HAP-Z1ES) and mine did the same thing after the update. My whole unit freezes unexpectedly now after the update. When I called Sony, the Sony rep said his own personal unit was doing the same thing, but there hasn't been a lot of calls about it so he was unsure there was an issue with the update until I called. He said he was escalating the issue to the Japan engineers to fix, but I haven't heard anything yet almost 2 weeks later. It would help to get them moving if you called to let them know you are having the same issue.
Garman likes this.
post #43556 of 44563 Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Make Em'Dance: Thanks for the info, much appreciated. If you have the direct number PM it to me, I will give them a call today. I was all excited that Sony might have updated so you can use Quboz or Tidal and did the update now the unit is all messed up! LOL Doh!

LOL, sounds like mine has to go into the shop for repair.... I guess some units had a known screen issue, unrelated to software update, this blows! Got the Phone number... Looks like my NAD M10 will be my main stay for now! Man I miss the days of spinning CD so much less of a hassle when some thing goes wrong!

Glad I saw you post this, my screen is going to be replaced as well, they already sent me a pre-packaged label to send this thing in for repair and they said they would make sure the firmware is working as well. Now I got to find another box plus original to ship it in, as the box that this thing came in didn't do a very good job securing it when I first bought the damn thing.

Last edited by Garman; 06-11-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #43557 of 44563 Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Make Em'Dance: Thanks for the info, much appreciated. If you have the direct number PM it to me, I will give them a call today. I was all excited that Sony might have updated so you can use Quboz or Tidal and did the update now the unit is all messed up! LOL Doh!

LOL, sounds like mine has to go into the shop for repair.... I guess some units had a known screen issue, unrelated to software update, this blows! Got the Phone number... Looks like my NAD M10 will be my main stay for now! Man I miss the days of spinning CD so much easier!

Glad I saw you post this, my screen is going to be replaced as well, they already sent me a pre-packaged label to send this thing in for repair and they said they would make sure the firmware is working as well. Now I got to find another box plus original to ship it in, as the box that this thing came in didn't do a very good job securing it when I first bought the damn thing.
I see. A lot of the early units had different screens that become defective with the white line problem. Sony is fixing those for free under warranty, as you see. You shouldn't have the issue again after you get the new screen.

The update issue is another beast now. I hope they release an update, to the problem update, soon that fixes the issue they created. I doubt the repair facility (I assume United Radio) will be able to do anything in regards to the update issue. I don't have a direct line to Sony. I called their warranty repair number and then was transferred to a tech here in the USA. He then opened a case and forwarded the issue to Japan. The more people that call them, notifying them of the issue, should speed up the resolution.
post #43558 of 44563 Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Emit Series With Evoke 25C

I can only afford the Emit series of speakers, but I'm afraid that the Emit 15C is underpowered. Is it okay to put an Evoke 15C with the M30 and M10 Emit speakers?
post #43559 of 44563 Old 06-11-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolVikingsGuy View Post
I can only afford the Emit series of speakers, but I'm afraid that the Emit 15C is underpowered. Is it okay to put an Evoke 15C with the M30 and M10 Emit speakers?
Yes. However, I would try to find an Excite x28 center. All of the Excite line is being discounted everywhere, so you should be able to get a good deal on one right now. The x28 has larger drivers than the Emit 15 and the Excite x24.

Crutchfield has a couple in their outlet store for less than $700.

Last edited by Make Em' Dance; 06-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #43560 of 44563 Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Em' Dance View Post
I see. A lot of the early units had different screens that become defective with the white line problem. Sony is fixing those for free under warranty, as you see. You shouldn't have the issue again after you get the new screen.

The update issue is another beast now. I hope they release an update, to the problem update, soon that fixes the issue they created. I doubt the repair facility (I assume United Radio) will be able to do anything in regards to the update issue. I don't have a direct line to Sony. I called their warranty repair number and then was transferred to a tech here in the USA. He then opened a case and forwarded the issue to Japan. The more people that call them, notifying them of the issue, should speed up the resolution.
Well my unit is far beyond its Warranty, but the lady said I didn't need a sales receipt as I have no idea where it is.. I bought this unit from a guy in 2014, been pretty good so far, but had an issue that United Audio had to fix back when it was shipped to me. I asked the guy to double box it, 4 times in separate e-mails and he didn't, the unit came to be broken. United Audio fixed it, guy got his money back (via FedEx) I got mine back and kept the unit and it cost me $300 for the repair. So we will see what happens this time around.... Regardless thanks for the info, hopefully mine will come back with new Firmware and in working order!

Last edited by Garman; 06-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page