Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1456 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8578Likes

Old 06-25-2019, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Yeah Garman, they salt the hell out of the roads here, and I did not oil-guard or undercoat that car, it was a 2004 Grand Prix, tried spending as little as possible on it, but that bit me in the end. Avoiding monthly car payments allowed me to spend most of my disposable income on my “hobby”, but now I will have that payment. Luckily I have decent gear to get by with for now. Funny you mentioned BMW’s, the guy at the car lot steered me clear of the 2 they had on his lot, said they are maintenance nightmares...cost wise.

3.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,Cary 500.1 monoblock
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Chord Hugo TT2/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50, excite 12’s,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What would you do...

Used C1 Platinum or new Contour 20?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by strojo View Post
What would you do...

Contour 20 will play louder, C1 is otherwise better (IMHO).

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I am with you, if your up in the Great White North, not sure if they salt the roads, but if you don't get your vehicle undercoated everything ends up that way! Beamers even though they get a bad rap for repairs, hold up quite well for rust etc.. ...
Don't you know? Beamers have two-wheels. Bimmers have four wheels.
KenM10759 likes this.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Naim Audio NDX2/XPSDR/NAC282/HCDR/NAP250DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum REL R-328 x 2
Old 06-25-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Yeah Garman, they salt the hell out of the roads here, and I did not oil-guard or undercoat that car, it was a 2004 Grand Prix, tried spending as little as possible on it, but that bit me in the end. Avoiding monthly car payments allowed me to spend most of my disposable income on my “hobby”, but now I will have that payment. Luckily I have decent gear to get by with for now. Funny you mentioned BMW’s, the guy at the car lot steered me clear of the 2 they had on his lot, said they are maintenance nightmares...cost wise.
no quarter: Yeah, it's all relative if you take any car to a dealer you get hosed on repairs, this car has cost me 4 new tires, it was well cared for and one year newer than your Gran Prix and still running and looks like new. So it goes back to some people take care of things and some people don't, as you stated you just wanted a beater car and got good use out of it. Most maintenance nightmares on BMWs are started in two ways, dealer says you have a problem and you don't and person driving it beats the crap out of the car, before you get it. I agree with you Avoiding car payment is a must, as they are the worst investment, especially if they break down, I have only had a car payment twice in my lifetime and both of those were still covered by the company I work for. Hence more money for Audio......

RaceTripper: LOL..... Beamers is a terminology in Cricket.. and technically it's Beemer.... I love auto-correct on my phone! NOT!

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
Old 06-25-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RaceTripper: LOL..... Beamers is a terminology in Cricket.. and technically it's Beemer.... I love auto-correct on my phone! NOT!
You know how Beemer came to be the term for BMW bikes?
The BSR motorcycles were called Beezers, so bikers started calling BMW motorcycles Beemers. The cars were always called Bimmers, but the yuppies conflated the terms, so now most people think the car is called a Beemer.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
Contour 20 will play louder, C1 is otherwise better (IMHO).
Thanks. How would you compare their sound signatures?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

No disrespect to Red MC, but don't take one man's opinion and run with it. I, personally, would chose the Contour 20 over a C1 any day. I know of numerous dealers who personally used C1's for a long time that sold them off to UPGRADE to the Contour 20 when it released. Your best bet, is to try to get an audition to see what YOU like better.

I'd look for a used Contour 20 over new. You'll save yourself $2k.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Em' Dance View Post
No disrespect to Red MC, but don't take one man's opinion and run with it. I, personally, would chose the Contour 20 over a C1 any day. I know of numerous dealers who personally used C1's for a long time that sold them off to UPGRADE to the Contour 20 when it released. Your best bet, is to try to get an audition to see what YOU like better.

I'd look for a used Contour 20 over new. You'll save yourself $2k.
I agree, I have said this several times the only really good way to tell the difference in speakers is to demo both in a good dealer listening room (Which are hard to come by) and your own home.. I get that dealers would push out older products, as they are trying to move inventory and it's a hell of a lot easier for them to upgrade. The reason I probably like the Contour 20's so much as they are in some ways like the C1s but better to my ears, but then again I am going off of memory listening, not actual testing and comparing, which I have done with many other speakers in the past.

RaceTripper: I get it, Beemer's by us are referenced as a Motor Bike and or Car.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RaceTripper: I get it, Beemer's by us are referenced as a Motor Bike and or Car.

In the end, I don't even have BMWs anymore. As much as I liked driving them, they ended up more trouble than worth in terms of reliability (or lack thereof). Our last four cars have been Subarus (2 WRX STIs, a Forester and an Outback). I currently drive a '18 Outback 3.6R Touring and love it. My wife drives a '15 Forester Touring. Our next car will probably be a Subaru as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

In the end, I don't even have BMWs anymore. As much as I liked driving them, they ended up more trouble than worth in terms of reliability (or lack thereof). Our last four cars have been Subarus (2 WRX STIs, a Forester and an Outback). I currently drive a '18 Outback 3.6R Touring and love it. My wife drives a '15 Forester Touring. Our next car will probably be a Subaru as well.
I am with you, as stated this is a project car/kids beater but I got lucky so far and it's in excellent shape. I have had 2 BMWs one with 120K 5 series zero issues, I have had Two Outbacks, great winter and driving car for reliability, but I can't say the same for my brand new Ascent so far, the Air Condition hasn't worked correctly since I got the thing. Here is hoping there is a simple solution, I bought this as I am a Ski Coach and loved the way they drive in the snow. Doesn't matter what you buy these days, if you let yourself get screwed over you will, just pick something stand firm when it doesn't get fixed correctly and or cost way too much. I have and BMW in the past, and I have worked on cars growing up, I know how to change my own oil and change spark plugs, valve gaskets etc.. You basically buy what has worked in the past and stick with it, in my case it was Subarus, but right now my New Subaru Ascent temp is set at 60 in the car and inside cabin temperature is at 76 degrees with high humidity, so some thing is wrong when my soon to be kids car is blowing 60 degrees in the car and the Thermometer is reading 60 degrees in cabin.

Last edited by Garman; 06-25-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
Quote:
I am with you, as stated this is a project car/kids beater but I got lucky so far and it's in excellent shape. I have had 2 BMWs one with 120K 5 series zero issues, I have had Two Outbacks, great winter and driving car for reliability, but I can't say the same for my brand new Ascent so far, the Air Condition hasn't worked correctly since I go the thing. Here is hoping there is a simple solution, got this as I am a Ski Coach and loved the way they drive in the snow. Doesn't matter what you buy these days, if you let yourself get screwed over you will, just pick something stand firm when it doesn't get fixed correctly and or cost way too much.
New BMWs don't really interest me. My E60 M5 has been one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. I've had it for over 8 years and put over 100K miles on it. You don't see many on the road anymore because they fall apart without proper (expensive) maintenance. Yeah I get 12 MPG but it's an incredible driving experience. Kind of like a good stereo system. Costs money and sucks power...LOL.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Old 06-25-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What would you do...

This reviewer liked the C20s over C1.

https://www.dynaudio.pl/dynaudio-aca...tour-20-review
Garman likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Old 06-25-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
New BMWs don't really interest me. My E60 M5 has been one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. I've had it for over 8 years and put over 100K miles on it. You don't see many on the road anymore because they fall apart without proper (expensive) maintenance. Yeah I get 12 MPG but it's an incredible driving experience. Kind of like a good stereo system. Costs money and sucks power...LOL.
My favorite was my '05 M3 SMG, Carbon Black with Cinnamon interior. That car was so awesome. I could have the worst day of the year, but when I got in my car and drove home I felt gooood. LOL

The WRX STi was really pretty close performance-wise, but it wasn't anywhere near the same user experience.

If I bought a performance car now and wasn't really worried about cost of ownership it would be between a Porsche Cayman S and a BMW M2.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My favorite was my '05 M3 SMG, Carbon Black with Cinnamon interior. That car was so awesome. I could have the worst day of the year, but when I got in my car and drove home I felt gooood. LOL

The WRX STi was really pretty close performance-wise, but it wasn't anywhere near the same user experience.

If I bought a performance car now and wasn't really worried about cost of ownership it would be between a Porsche Cayman S and a BMW M2.
That's cool. I owned a 2003 M3 with the 6 speed manual. Still kicking myself for selling it as those are now pretty valuable.
Garman and RaceTripper like this.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's cool. I owned a 2003 M3 with the 6 speed manual. Still kicking myself for selling it as those are now pretty valuable.
Other than the E30, I think the E46 was the sweet spot for M3s, and it was a very fast and forgiving car at the track. Handling was insanely great (and so fun to toss around corners).
Garman likes this.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Other than the E30, I think the E46 was the sweet spot for M3s, and it was a very fast and forgiving car at the track. Handling was insanely great (and so fun to toss around corners).
100% agree with that. I hope BMW gets its magic back. The M2 is small glimpse of what could be.
RaceTripper likes this.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

drewTT: I agree with you, the M2 is sweet as hell, a friend of mine has the M2 with Dynaudio on board! Yummie! I am sure the M2 beats the Mustang on handling but lately Fords have been improving on that.

Although the funniest car I have been in was a Ford GT....

Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
drewTT: I agree with you, the M2 is sweet as hell, a friend of mine has the M2 with Dynaudio on board! ....
Blasphemy...how can one ruin the experience of a M car by playing a stereo while inside. Jeez, what a waste.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Your M5 isn't Blue is it?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Your M5 isn't Blue is it?
Space grey.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Space grey.
I almost bought my '02 530i in gray (can't remember which gray), but when I saw one in direct sunlight I didn't like a green hue it had, so I got Sapphire Black Metallic.

The best colors were Orient Blue on my '99 323i and Carbon Black on my M3.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I almost bought my '02 530i in gray (can't remember which gray), but when I saw one in direct sunlight I didn't like a green hue it had, so I got Sapphire Black Metallic.

The best colors were Orient Blue on my '99 323i and Carbon Black on my M3.
Space Grey was 2008 and on, on the E60s. Haha...I can talk cars for hours.
Garman likes this.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Space Grey was 2008 and on, on the E60s. Haha...I can talk cars for hours.
After my M3 I had a '09 MINI John Cooper Works. Then the WRX STI. Now I'm boring and drive an Outb ack, but it's perfect for my cycling lifestyle now.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After my M3 I had a '09 MINI John Cooper Works. Then the WRX STI. Now I'm boring and drive an Outb ack, but it's perfect for my cycling lifestyle now.
My car madness started with an Audi A4, then the M3, then a 911 turbo, then an Audi S4, and finally the M5. The M5 I had the longest. 140K miles on it now and it looks and runs like new. Would love a 911 GT3 next but that's dreamland right now.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Funny how you're just shooting the s h i t about other stuff and you find other things in common! I use to Race MTN Bikes, and a good friend works for Project One at Trek.. More of a Klein guy myself and still have my Mountain Goat (Klein Mantra) etc.. Currently riding a FX Carbon, but I am not much into Road biking as I am MTB.. Finally got back into it, and another reason I bought the Subaru as well, besides Skiing.

Love European cars for handling, but ironically in that video a lot of US cars are catching up in the handing arena and the European cars are catching up in the straight on speed dragging. Personally the M2 looks like a Wolf in Sheep's clothing as it looks like a Car you can take to work everyday and punch it when you want to get around a s s holes on cell phones!

Last pick is of the new Dynaudio Tweeter via Esotar 3.... Other pics of bikes are older, but I still have the Mantra.

drewTT: Where I live it's Subaru's and BMW's and a lot of older ones still running smoothly, as I guess I am lucky and have a couple of mom & pop shops that are very reasonable on maintenance and repairs. My 5 series barely had anything done to it, sold it to a college kid with about 120K+ on it. Just break work and oil changes and tires, as BMW's tend to wear on tires more than usual. I really like Toyo tires lately, hold up well and are awesome in the snow. The problem with most of these new cars, you need to be a computer IT guy besides a Mechanic, the Adaptive Cruise Control and EyeSight etc.. is great safety features, but they don't work for crap if they freeze up and or in dense fog, plus they just add to the cost of fixing things hence the cost has gone up on everything on every car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	290111_2233802095352_5121831_o.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	2584556   Click image for larger version

Name:	321158_2365126818388_337549968_n.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2584558   Click image for larger version

Name:	64977320_2084472445179045_272728512035553280_n.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	2584560  
RaceTripper likes this.

Last edited by Garman; 06-25-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just made this decision and for me it was the C1 Platinum. I listened to both and preferred the C1. To me it was more neutral sounding and accurate than the C20.
I’m not so sure about “louder” as the C1 plays louder than is comfortable in a large room in my system at less than 1/2 volume from 225watts. I wouldn’t need any more from a C20.
I think placement will be easier with the C20 than the C1 as the new tweeter is more forgiving to placement.
Really the best thing you can do is find both and listen.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.

"When I die, don't let my wife sell my stereo for what I told her I paid for it."
Home: Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum, Musical Fidelity A3.2CR Power Amp, A3.2CR Preamp, A3.2 CD, MSB Gold DAC, MSB P1000 PSU, Sunfire True Subwoofer Mk II, Apple APE, Monarchy Audio DIP Combo, Integra CP-1055F, Kimber Kable
Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Leave it to bmw to make the unibody a wear item though . Never driven an e30M3. I would love to but am afraid it may fall into the never meet your heros category. My dad has an e9x M3. I think it is a decent car but you can feel its mass. The engine however is a masterpiece.

Like many of y'all i'm a car guy (more so than audio actually). Had several wrx iterations (still have a wagon), an elise and an Exige-s, as well as an 84 930. I do the occasional HPDE and autocross but harder these days with 3 small kids.

ALSO:
Garman and yonson like this.

Last edited by aschen; 06-26-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
They have a family resemblance.

I compared them back to back about two years ago at a dealer, Goodwin's High End, in a medium sized room that I've become very familiar with over the years. Amplification was Simaudio, a well known reference point for me. I think I may have posted my impressions already in this thread.

One thing that sticks out in my memory was that the C1s really nailed the midrange. They are about as dead neutral in the mids as I've heard. At the moderate volume levels I prefer, 75-85 dB average, they also have just the right balance of lows, mids, and highs. They are better than my C2s in that regard, which are just slightly forward around the crossover point where the upper midrange meets the lower treble. In contrast, the Contour 20 seemed a little more laid back, with a little more weight to the lower end of the frequency spectrum compared to the upper end. Not to the same degree as the older Contour S though, which some even described as dark.

The C1s also sounded a little more resolving, and a little faster with transients, although keep in mind that speed and resolution aren't Dynaudio's strongest suits. I'm having trouble remembering the differences in the bass. I know the C20s can play louder with less distortion in the bass and greater excursion limits, but I didn't really push them. They were both satisfying in their bass performance. Maybe the C20s had a little more mid-bass impact.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Old 06-26-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

UCrazyKid: Best way to choose on "What you like" is to demo them both (as you did), I have the C2 Platinum and they are here to stay! I wanted good monitor and have hand many in the past to me it was just icing on the cake for me, and that happen to be the new Contour 20s.. I did compare C1's as I had several of them for many years and had both originals and Platinums

aschen: I was a car guy till I had kids! LOL Now I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent fully loaded so I can haul these guys to Soccer and Ski practice etc.. I had a few muscle cars and older BMWs in the past, European Cars always seem to handle better and Mustangs etc.. just hauled ass, I had a 1968 Fastback which was a great project car that made me some money. Now it seems from the video I posted that BMW has improved on the straights and the Mustang has improved in the handling, go figure.
aschen likes this.

Last edited by Garman; 06-26-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore